Yang Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• GolcarJack3SGolcarJack3S Joined: Posts: 17
    Hey. I'm new to playing Yang In ultra. I decided to try and learn a second character, so I thought I'd go with Yang seen as I play him in 3S. I have combos nailed down pretty well. However I seem to be having trouble getting in, and safely applying pressure on my opponents. Any tips?
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    Hey. I'm new to playing Yang In ultra. I decided to try and learn a second character, so I thought I'd go with Yang seen as I play him in 3S. I have combos nailed down pretty well. However I seem to be having trouble getting in, and safely applying pressure on my opponents. Any tips?

Yang has great footsies, gotta learn to utilize them.
  • OSDOSD Joined: Posts: 441
    edited July 2014
    Is there a place where I can learn Yang's dive kick setups/uses?
    The only setup I know of that is somewhat useful is in the corner after a throw: Dash, walk forward a little, jump forward lk.divekick. I think it was an unblockable setup. It doesnt combo though so its more to confuse the opponent/ make dp's whiff.
    Try neutral jumping, delaying divekicks and getting used to his footsie tools. If you walk in and neutral jump just inside their poke range you can easily whiff punish it with a divekick. If you switch up neutral jumps with (delayed) divekicks it'll be hard for your opponent to react. Add footsies to the mix and you're basically in full control.

Safe pressure: Blockingstring ending in rekka. From there you can delay a 2nd rekka, go back to footsies, cr.lk/c.mk xx rekka, divekick in, neutral jump to see how they react...basically whatever you want.
    @OSD Ok thanks. I have some of that down as well. I usually do a few divekick strings, then neutral jump in heavy divekick range. And then go for a light divekick, baiting an anti air. As stupid as this sounds it seems to work pretty well for punishing.
  • FatalFRAMEFatalFRAME Joined: Posts: 121
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know the frame advantage for Yangs dive kicks below the waist on block? Would be really helpful, because i find yangs dive-kick to be really risky to use on block!
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,584
    edited July 2014
    -2 at worst. They can't be reversal SRKed below the waist.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    I retract that.

Below the waist, you're positive.
    On the abdomen, you're usually even at worst. (These were tested via mirror/jumping dummy)

Around the chest and shoulder is where you wander into -1 territory and worse (This was tested on Zangief, who can't get free super until you start hitting him at the shoulders or higher.)

Never touch someone in the head with a divekick.

On crouchers though, you've gotta make certain to hit as low as possible - hitting a crouch blocker in the head is as, if not more deadly as hitting a standing blocker in the head.

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Does not like SJWs or the alt right Joined: Posts: 6,001
    Where is there a list of options off of his close st.mk?

I imagine he has great resets.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • gsxtacygsxtacy Killa Cam Joined: Posts: 1,552
    Where is there a list of options off of his close st.mk?

I imagine he has great resets.

training mode
    TVG: "Cammy is top tier and fuck you fuck you fuck you.

I hate the bitch. "
  • FatalFRAMEFatalFRAME Joined: Posts: 121
    Wasted wrote: »
    I retract that.

Below the waist, you're positive.
    On the abdomen, you're usually even at worst. (These were tested via mirror/jumping dummy)

Around the chest and shoulder is where you wander into -1 territory and worse (This was tested on Zangief, who can't get free super until you start hitting him at the shoulders or higher.)

Never touch someone in the head with a divekick.

On crouchers though, you've gotta make certain to hit as low as possible - hitting a crouch blocker in the head is as, if not more deadly as hitting a standing blocker in the head.

My goodness, thank you so much because my divekick game with yang is ASS. It is such a blessing to sign up on here for the first time and ask a question to get some knowledgeable insight as a reply, thank you very much sir.

So basically anything below the waist on block we are at positive u say? I knew it was safe below the waist, but never sure if it had frame advantage. I only knew it had frame advantage if we hit them on the foot/ankle, but never knew we had advantage at the waist.
    Around the waist, yes. It might only get +1 or even, depending on character, but yes, you are typically safe at the waist.

edited August 2014
    If you want to get a much better idea, boot up training mode. Pick your opponent's character for Player 1, then use Yang as the training dummy.

Record the dummy to divekick you, then hold up so it jumps as soon as it can.

Replay the dummy, block the divekick, then hold up as well. Whoever jumps first has frame advantage.

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Does not like SJWs or the alt right Joined: Posts: 6,001

2:00

Does that still work? I always crossup :\
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,269
    It's character and corner dependant
  • IslandBoyIslandBoy Joined: Posts: 267
    Simple question: what do you guys think of Yang's new alt? I actually think it looks pretty hype!
    SFV: (Main) Vega (Alternates) Ken, Chun-Li
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Storm/Hawkeye (If I ever play this game again...)
    KOFXIV: I WANT THIS GAAAMMEE
    edited August 2014
    Also, after getting bodied by the likes of Decapre, Hugo, and Gen for simply NEUTRAL JUMPING, I decided to follow suit, I find myself picking Ultra 2 in certain matchups that I didn't before where characters like Sakura and Gouken (or maybe it's just the players) spam that shit like no tomorrow. I've had varying amounts of success; you gotta be UBER quick to do it the farther away you are.
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    IslandBoy wrote: »
    Simple question: what do you guys think of Yang's new alt? I actually think it looks pretty hype!

I'm hype for a lot of the new alts. Like Seth getting more clothes.
    IslandBoy wrote: »
    Also, after getting bodied by the likes of Decapre, Hugo, and Gen for simply NEUTRAL JUMPING, I decided to follow suit, I find myself picking Ultra 2 in certain matchups that I didn't before where characters like Sakura and Gouken (or maybe it's just the players) spam that shit like no tomorrow. I've had varying amounts of success; you gotta be UBER quick to do it the farther away you are.

Yeah some people just do it regardless which character they're up against. I personally don't watch for neutral jumps so much as Yang unless by happenstance I whiff dive kick in their face as they're jumping, or dash in to that also. I think people do that mostly because it's defensive/low risk and it can lead into beefy damage, and in lag it's kind of good. But I rarely rarely ever do just raw slashes or something that'll get busted by neutral jumps. Anyway, if I'm under the neutral jump, I just go for MK launcher combos. Raw U2 has let me down too much that I don't take the chance even when it could be a good idea.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,993
    my favorite thing is killing neutral jumps. i find U2 and normal roll kicks unreliable tho. EX roll kick is the way to go.

when i dive kick and someone tries to neutral jump and start pressure only to land on a dp, or when i go for a throw and they neutral jump and land on a dp, or when i do delayed crouch tech on their wake up......

all of those things give me a stiffy
    Does Yang have the best walk speed in the game now? After the buff I don't know how it compares to other characters. I wanna know just for the sake of knowing lol.
    No. He's in the first tier of forward walkspeed and 3-4th tier of backwards walkspeed. Vega is the fastest.
  • 3rd strike3rd strike JAV 大好きです Joined: Posts: 430
    Really? The wiki shows him as the fastest forward walkspeed in the game. (a tier of his own)
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
    That's what I said. For combined speed though he loses to Vega, Cammy, Chun, Decapre and probably a couple others.
    Could anyone please give me tips with the divekick? I always try to mix it up with the timing of it, but my opponent ALWAYS anti-airs me. I find shotos impossible because of this.
    Could anyone please give me tips with the divekick? I always try to mix it up with the timing of it, but my opponent ALWAYS anti-airs me. I find shotos impossible because of this.

This means you're jump pattern is predictable. They are focusing on you jumping which means they're attention is devoted less toward footsies. By playing a stronger ground game you are likely to beat them in footsies. Once you have taken time to force their attention toward footsies, then you can jump.........

....or you can stand far back, do a quick jump into lk dive kick as a bait, and punish the uppercut.
    East wrote: »

This means you're jump pattern is predictable. They are focusing on you jumping which means they're attention is devoted less toward footsies. By playing a stronger ground game you are likely to beat them in footsies. Once you have taken time to force their attention toward footsies, then you can jump.........

....or you can stand far back, do a quick jump into lk dive kick as a bait, and punish the uppercut.

Alright, thanks. Which normal should I be using?
    Anything with good range. c.MK,s.MK, s.MP, c.HK are all good. Try walking into just the tip of c.HK's range and sweeping. I catch a lot of people like that, when they are expecting me to dive kick, neutral, or forward jump.
    Thanks man. I was trying stuff out, and the ones you mentioned seem to work pretty good. I started off using s.HK and s.HP, but sadly they are far too slow to be utilized as pokes.
  • KrahuschlukKrahuschluk Joined: Posts: 8
    What do you guys use as okizeme?
    I find myself having a hard time to keep pressure against characters with ok reversals after knockdown. For some reason I feel like I'm in a neutral position when I clearly should feel advantageous.

Thanks!
    Depends on what you knock people down with.

HK roll leaves you further than MK. Empty jump/j.mk/ early mk/hk divekick is a basic mix up.

Times right, HK dive can make reversal DPs whiff in the other direction.

• Deeeeejay XLDeeeeejay XL Lightly Salted Joined: Posts: 595
    Hey what's up guys? I've been messing with yang since ae, always had a boner for this character. With all the ultra buffs, I planned on maining him. At first things were going great, but as of lately I've been getting really discouraged. There's lots of things I have to work on personally, but I'm just posting this to look for some quick solutions, if that's okay.

My one issue I feel right now is that my setups just aren't strong enough. Are you guys all 100% confident in your setups/resets? I feel like this new j. Mk is very inconsistent. After f. Throw, the setup is still dash x1, crouch, then jump mk, right? Same goes with going for a jump mk after a j. Hp reset (off of cl. Mk) do you guys see any issues with it, or am I doing something wrong?

Are there any setups we get for a free safe dive? I used to love doing rekka in the corner, and then jump forward Lk dive, but I feel that's so unsafe now, or misses a lot.

Bleh, sorry for rants. I'm on my phone at work, and didn't really think this through. I've been meaning to ask questions but I keep getting sucked into something else whenever I'm home. ;__;
    "Stop reciting theory and just hit your target." - Ip Man
  • nethneth Evasion Style Jutsu>RCF>ST>FBA Joined: Posts: 154
    Hey guys, vega main playing yang as a second, first time post in yang forums. I was going over some yang videos of of this yang player "shiine" i saw play on stream recently and had a quick question. In the vid below at "56" sec mark you see yang cutting his ex rekka short and landing a regular command throw. I see this mix-up in a lot of yang plays being done on block and on hit but i don,t understand why it works. Based on the frame data ex rekka is -1 on block and 0 on hit and command throw (non ex) is 10 frame start up which means there is a giant gap. This makes for an easy back dash to safety or just plain old jabs. As a matter of fact i have a lot of trouble with people just back dashing me.
    Could someone explain this setup for me pls

It's a shitty setup that should not work. It's nothing more than a childish mindgame that relies on the speed of EX rekka to throw people off. People find it hard to react to the EX rekka, then react again to it being cut short.

edited August 2014
    Welcome to SF4. Where shitty setups that shouldn't work, do! I've seen Yuns do double cr. mp into dash-command grab, and it has like a 80% success rate XD (and that's at least like 32 frames). There are lots of these kinds of things in this game lmao.
  • thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    hey man, if you make somebody too scared to press a button. Then you're doing it right~
    edited August 2014
    I think people call that the "Shine special". And it could be that players fighting Yang have seen that enough to learn to evade it. I mean the damage reward is fair enough. I usually go for something like that only after a raw EX slash, otherwise I'll save the meter and do the standard normal slash knockdown. But Shine had to make a comeback so I understand maximizing on that momentum shift.

Edit: The real question is "how did he win?" and "why's he using U1 vs Blanka?"
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

Because it hits harder. MK roll punishes Blanks balls just fine.

Wasted wrote: »
    Because it hits harder. MK roll punishes Blanks balls just fine.

I mean it's not all about the punish, but the versatility of it. It's only like a loss of 20 damage comparing raw damage U2 to U1. I respect Insaynne's Blanka enough to figure he won't do stupid balls anyway. Just as a sort of match-up decision, seems like U2 is a better pick.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• kindorkindor Joined: Posts: 6

Right now I'm about 7 wins and 50 loss with Yang. He's the only character that interest me. I'm really having trouble closing out matches and I always lose out to people to spam jabs.
    Can you guys review this video and tell me what I do wrong and how do I get better?
  • Cows say meeeowCows say meeeow Joined: Posts: 454
    I'm not that great of a player so i wont go into much, but a few things I noticed as an (intermediate?) player is this. Though if someone wants to correct me go for it since i'm not even that great of a player. So yea, take this with a grain of salt

1) you wake up roll kick way too much and your opponent punished occordingly

2) Yangs rekkas after the first hit aren't safe (-5 on the second hit even if you use LP). The Deejay player didn't look like he knew that but he did punish you once for the full rekka you did once in a block string. Cr.mk xx LP slash is safe (-2) with a few exceptions.

3) You should probably incorporate more of Yangs buttons. Pretty much all of them are good and a lot of his normals are also positive on block which is good

4) imo that first ex. teleport was unnecessary, you had the life lead already. Your opponent saw it and you had to play on the defense for that. Let him come to you and play the mid range game
    GT- Cows say meeeow

Steam ID- Cows_say_meeeow