Yang Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• FearTheFuhajinFearTheFuhajin Trying to git gud Joined: Posts: 212
    I'm having problems doing 3 cr.short into rekkas, any tips?
    Playstation Network: TaiteFGC
    Steam ID: TaiteFGC

UMVC3 Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye (RIP MAHVEL)
    SFV Karin
    GGXrd Faust

I wish I could change my username...
    Check out this guide created by myself and the boys over at the Sakura thread (RIP USF4): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eeIc5GM3waM3fYhz2UefmD9gznynb56yeMFD16MYLhQ/pub
  • flame1626flame1626 Joined: Posts: 52
    edited January 2015
    Its supposed to be cr.lk xx cr.lk > cr.lk xx rekka. Meaning the first 2 can be chained but the last one has to be linked. Just delay the 3rd cr.lk a little more than the first 2 if you are chaining them. Plinking them with lp also helps as well. The rest is just practice practice practice.
    EDIT: Turns out cr.lk doesnt chain ...my bad
    Post edited by flame1626 on
  • G_KarneG_Karne Joined: Posts: 10
    You can't chain cr.lk. The only tip is to use the lk.lp p-link
  • DokiVioDokiVio Joined: Posts: 37
    edited January 2015
    Hello Community,

I've been trying to perform this corner combo a few times. Here's a clip on youtube of the combo

Could anyone give me in-depth info on how to perform the HK roll after the mp palm? Thank you
    Post edited by DokiVio on
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,035
    edited January 2015
    F, QCF, hold F and wait, HK.

Get used to doing this by itself so get a feel for the delay.

Then start doing it just as Yang recovers from MP Palm.

There are other ways to do it, but this was simplest for me.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • DokiVioDokiVio Joined: Posts: 37
    Wasted wrote: »
    F, QCF, hold F and wait, HK.

Get used to doing this by itself so get a feel for the delay.

Then start doing it just as Yang recovers from MP Palm.

There are other ways to do it, but this was simplest for me.

Yesh! I can do it now, just need more practice (:

Is there an advantage of doing the HK roll instead of the mk roll? is it worth the extra like 8dmg?
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,035
    More damage, yes. You can also follow up with EX rollkick for a little bit more. It makes that combo decently beefy for one bar.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,165
    Oki is also better on hk rollkicks knockdown. You get automatic safejump
  • YWM8YWM8 Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm trying to get this "safejump" from hk.senkyutai to work. I can't seem to get it right.

1. The crossup mk whiffs. So I need to delay manually? Because right now i'm just holding up forwards.
    2. How many frames safe is this safejump? 4? 5?
    USF4: Yang
    SFxT: Vega x Lei
    Skullgirls: Big Band

You're supposed to neutral jump. It's a 5 frame safejump. Video credit goes to ranix, he posted a lot of good stuff a couple months back that you can find on his channel.

You can also get the same safe jump by doing cl.mk, dash, cl.mk, dash, hk rollkicks (dashes are important to get the correct height on hk rollkicks).

If they don't quick rise, you can do s.mp and neutral jump again for another 5 frame safejump.

Or vs most characters if you jump forward mk you get a fake crossup (if they quick rise this crossup usually whiffs except vs ibuki. VS ibuki you get a fake crossup both on quickrise and no quickrise but she can escape with command dash).

• NoodlesNoodles Joined: Posts: 27
    Hi all. Been a Boxer main for about a year. I think i'm compentent enough with him so next step now is to find a secondary character. I'm debating on choosing Yang, a character who I've played in the past and in my opinion, can handle some of Boxer's tougher matchups. Thoughts?
    edited February 2015
    how does the backdash cr.lp os u2 work? I understand how cr.lp os u1 because you chain cr.lp and s.lp so it overwrites the 3 punch buttons if it hits/is blocked but cr.lp doesn't chain with s.lk, so wouldn't you get s.hk if they don't backdash?

Where i saw it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFontvLdgM#t=3m6s

After testing it out in training mode s.lk comes out instead of s.hk o.0 why is that? the srk wiki says lk cant chain. does that just mean it can't chain itself but cr.lp can chain into it?
    Post edited by flame1626 on
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,911
    I feel like negative edge is a serious problem for playing yang... Its so easy to get something you were not even doing.

Does anyone else get blown up by negative edge while playing yang?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 781
    I used to get command dash after cr.mk, rekka when I first started with Yang. It doesn't happen anymore because I've trained my hands to do it properly. Every once in a while it happens in lag though.

Sometimes I'll get command grab instead of DP if my opponent tries a cross-up, but I don't think that's a negative edge issue.
  • IslandBoyIslandBoy Joined: Posts: 267
    edited February 2015
    Quick question y'all. I know this has probably been touched on before but what exactly do you do against characters that cl. mk, divekick, cl. mk, heavy rollkick doesn't work? I was fighting an Adon and it was never working for the life of me :(
    SFV: (Main) Vega (Alternates) Ken, Chun-Li
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Storm/Hawkeye (If I ever play this game again...)
    KOFXIV: I WANT THIS GAAAMMEE
    edited February 2015
    i just tested it in training mode, it definitely works on adon. clmk dash clmk hk dp doesnt but divekick does. As far as i know, clmk divekick clmk is universal.
  • bryarkbryark Joined: Posts: 31
    I feel like negative edge is a serious problem for playing yang... Its so easy to get something you were not even doing.

Does anyone else get blown up by negative edge while playing yang?

were you recently posting on /r/sf4 with the same issue?

cuz i recently discussed this same thing with someone there

unfortunately my answer to is is the same as my answer to them, that has never once been a problem for me in the four years i've been playing yang
  • Cows say meeeowCows say meeeow Joined: Posts: 454
    Used to be a problem for me. I just had to let go of mk faster than i used to and I was good
    GT- Cows say meeeow

Steam ID- Cows_say_meeeow
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,221
    I'll sometimes get dash instead of the rekka, very rare though. I generally hold cr. mk down while cancelling into the rekka, or just tap cr. mk very quickly.
    No I don't post on reddit
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    is there a yang facebook group? Character facebook groups tend to be more active
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • Jiraiya-Sama2390Jiraiya-Sama2390 Joined: Posts: 89
    Does Yang have any meaty setups?
  • ChocobunyChocobuny Joined: Posts: 1,101
    How do I OS teleport properly? I'm trying to get an OS to catch things like Seth Teleport, so I do forward throw dash once jump mk then down back lightkick to os it but I only get upkicks. I've practiced doing it without the setup and I can get the dash easily from just jumping over him and doing it, so I'm not sure why it wont work with the setup.
    Don't reverse your inputs, so just do qcf + kick for the teleport
    edited February 2015
    An option select ive been trying on chun is:

throw, cr.mp, jf.hp OS rekka or ex roll

Am I just inputting it wrong? This should be a safe jump os. The OS beats her backdash but SBK always beats me if I input an OS.

Seems like Chun isnt free against Yang on wakeup? I think the startup of SBK is causing the jf.hp to count as whiffed.

What do you do on chuns wakeup to beat her? As a chun player ive never really lost to Yang players but I hear a lot of people say Yang beats her. To me it seems that EX SBK is really great for her in this match.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    otori wrote: »
    Don't reverse your inputs, so just do qcf + kick for the teleport

I'm doing the move as crossup, and If I do it as qcf + k i get command throw every time
    edited February 2015
    Make sure you have the stick back at neutral then. Quarter circle motion should never get you command grab unless you're pressing and extra direction during the jump.

I'm not 100% sure on seth because I remember stuff like cl.hp xx mk rollkicks doesn't make you automatically crossup, but if you are crossing up, doing the motion non crossup works.

I do it all the time vs shotos for the crossup divekick. Maybe test the setup vs then first and see if the os comes out? Could be an issue with seth's height...dunno.

Don't have access to the game for a few days unfortunately
    Make sure you have the stick back at neutral then. Quarter circle motion should never get you command grab unless you're pressing and extra direction during the jump.

I'm not 100% sure on seth because I remember stuff like cl.hp xx mk rollkicks doesn't make you automatically crossup, but if you are crossing up, doing the motion non crossup works.

I do it all the time vs shotos for the crossup divekick. Maybe test the setup vs then first and see if the os comes out? Could be an issue with seth's height...dunno.

Don't have access to the game for a few days unfortunately

I'll give it a go putting it back in neutral, that def sounds like what I'm missing, thanks
    I often see players like shine use st.mp xx dash resets/cross ups

However I can only get this to work like once before people react and start mashing jab.

Is there a secret to making them not press anything? The dash is slow enough that they can react to it so frametraps don't seem to help in this specific case.

Thanks
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    I think it's terrible, on the level of blanka hop offense.

I see mago doing cr.mk xx teleport nowadays from stuff like cl.mp, cr.mk xx tp. Basically the range you won't crossup but just get back in after a blocked string. Maybe it's "safer" in those scenarios.
    I agree.

How about Yang's safe jump off of sweep? What is it?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    Also can you option select Akumas teleport with ultra or roll kick?

When I do it, it doesn't chase him. It just does it immediately. I'm doing it off throw btw
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • DoriaNDoriaN Woe is me, praise christ Jesus Joined: Posts: 388
    I'm trying to figure out backdash OS and such with Yang, but unlike a character with Ryu where I can just do meaty cr.lk+cr.lp > cr.lp+cr.hk, it seems Yang does the cr.hk regardless. Tried plinking it, and delaying the cr.hk, but it either out prioritizes the cr.lk or it never comes out.

Even in one of the threads it says cr.lk > cr.lk+cr.hk.
    Yang for sf5 please.
    You can do meaty cr.lp (os hk) cr.lp or lk. It works exactly the same as ryu in this case.

You can OS between cr.lk, cr.lk but that's harder to do because it's not a chainable normal, so you have to time it perfectly during the recovery frames of the move, same way sagat players do.

Alternatively, the best backdash OS is actually cr.lp, (os rekka), s.lk/lp. You have to time the special so it's not a cancel. This catches all backdashes (hk doesn't on the best backdashes) and does way more damage vs characters that you can catch grounded.
    You can do meaty cr.lp (os hk) cr.lp or lk. It works exactly the same as ryu in this case.

You can OS between cr.lk, cr.lk but that's harder to do because it's not a chainable normal, so you have to time it perfectly during the recovery frames of the move, same way sagat players do.

Alternatively, the best backdash OS is actually cr.lp, (os rekka), s.lk/lp. You have to time the special so it's not a cancel. This catches all backdashes (hk doesn't on the best backdashes) and does way more damage vs characters that you can catch grounded.

Yeah at locals I found out it's because they're links not chains, so ex: Vega has the same issue.

I'm practicing using cr.lp rekka, but I find that while I can get it to work (cr.lp st.lp on hit/block, cr.lp whiff rekka on backdash), the rekka gets blocked in time. Right now I'm testing it vs Yang but his backdash is lengthy so it's a bit surprising.

But yeah I'm assuming this is why one might do a meaty cr.lp over cr.lk, even though you give up the low you get more options off of it.

Still searching match vids and forums for OS', I have a lot to prove at locals coming from other fighters such as BlazBlue+GuiltyGear, so right now it's a slug fest through outdated information and playing catch up for all the years of sf4 I missed. Any other advice or OS' would be great. I'll keep practicing to try and get it to work in the meantime~
    Yang for sf5 please.
    Well you can OS off cr.lk. Something like cr.lk (cr.hk) cr.lk does work, it just requires practice and timing.

You can also OS ultras pretty easily and reliably, that's probably your go to option once you have ultra stocked. Though even u2 won't reach the god tier backdashes (rose and chun come to mind).

Due to sf4's gigantic input window, you can OS pretty much anything (throws, dashes, jumps, teleports...you name it). Really, it's just a matter of creativity.

I recommend you check Momochi's channel, he has a lot of extensive info on OS's. This video in particular is very interesting (same principle works for yang, though his s.mp is shittier and much harder to hit reliably).

Yeah I had actually already gone through most of that series but it's good, surprised people seem to be only learning about them recently. Glad you linked in though incase I had not.

Guy in my scene mains Rose, so I've been trying to see Yang's options but no u2 is upsetting =[

I guess a different question I have is I saw a Yang do a very creative corner correct combo, stuff > rekka rekka > [fadc lvl 2] > 66 > lk.Kaihou > cl.mk > j.3mk > cl.mk > hk.Senkyutai. I messed around a little and sadly because of how focus prorates it seems to only be good for style or corner correct, but that said I had trouble linking cl.mk after the teleport. I'm assuming it must be character specific or have super tight timing?

Feel free to plug any other Yang info, I know that's a tall order so only do it if you feel generous. In the meantime, back to plowing through pages and pages of info DX
    Yang for sf5 please.
  • KINGBROZENKINGBROZEN Sleepypants Joined: Posts: 202
    The crumple LK Kaihou Launcher is super tight on several characters, but I think it works on all of them.
    KINGBROZEN wrote: »
    The crumple LK Kaihou Launcher is super tight on several characters, but I think it works on all of them.

For some reason when I randomly tried it again but on Ibuki, it was super easy. Like making sure it's a lvl 2 focus was the hard part, but she comboed easily after that. I'll have to actually sit down and try it on a few characters, the corner correct would be incredibly useful, and a little extra style is nice; as long as I can do it consistently.
    Yang for sf5 please.