Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Luken27Luken27 Hadoken!Joined: Posts: 815
If you have any questions, then please ask them here first before making a new thread. The reason for this is because people make a new thread asking one question answers and that simply clusters up the thread which users including myself do not like.

I guarantee you if you ask here your questions will be answered in a short amount of time. As you can see, I simply stole this from the Akuma thread.
Chris Said:
Did you just compare Pizza Hut to Heaven?

Patrick Said:
No, I compared Heaven to pizza Hut.

Comments

• SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod
    I'm very happy to see this thread here! Thanks Luken! :lovin:

I'll start out with a simple question. In general, how do you guys feel about meter management with Ryu? At mid to high level play, in most matches, are you better off using his meter for EX moves to either score damage or scare the opponent? Or, do you guys often find yourself saving your meter to pose a threat with super? Or is it completely match-up dependent and there is no general answer?
  • TheliTheli Joined: Posts: 1,586
    Meter is as important as health. You use it if you need to in order to create opportunity or keep them below you in an iffy situation.

I think that's the best way to go about it. But it's hard to resist the urge to just play with it sometimes. In a tournament match though, using it at the right time is as important as any other aspect of the game.

“That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”

• DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    I'll save it depending on that matchup or how the player is playing. Vs. Blanka I'll always save for it. Vs. Honda I'll only save for it if he's abusing headbutts. If someone is abusing something I can only punish with super, I'll usually try and save for it. If they're not doing anything like that, I'll usually use my meter to land ultra, stay safe, or keep the momentum in my favor.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • lzy247lzy247 Joined: Posts: 2
    hey.. when vsing guile

say after he trips me with crouching hk. and then does u2. is there any way for me to get out of it?
  • Distorted84Distorted84 Joined: Posts: 8
    hey.. when vsing guile

say after he trips me with crouching hk. and then does u2. is there any way for me to get out of it?

Block or EX DP I would think. Though EX DP will probably leave you vulnerable to a punish.
  • Tatsumaki_12Tatsumaki_12 Joined: Posts: 312
    My problem is i dont have any match up knowledge. I know the game, fundamentals, my execution is pretty good and im an OK player but i simply dont know what moves beat what moves in ANY matchup with Ryu.

Im currently going through the cast and finding out which of Ryus moves beat every single move in the game. You may say go through the match up thread but personally i find it a struggle just to get infro from there migrating from page to page and if i did this myself it would probably help me out more.

I know theres spacing, footsies and such involved too in a match up, but is what im findng out; what move punishes what move the backbone of a match up?
    Block or EX DP I would think. Though EX DP will probably leave you vulnerable to a punish.

As long as Guile isn't out of range, the ex dp hits him. If he's out of range of ex dp, you're forced to block and take the chip. U2 also beats sonic hurricane...but who uses that? lol
  • DIGITALFRAGDIGITALFRAG Legendary Monkey Joined: Posts: 235
    jake here..

quick question about ryu's super...

is there a difference when doing a super by pressing the jab, strong, or fierce button?
    "Fear is a state of nervousness only fit for children" — The RZA
  • BourkenatorBourkenator Joined: Posts: 39
    jake here..

quick question about ryu's super...

is there a difference when doing a super by pressing the jab, strong, or fierce button?

Yep, each version makes the super travel a different speed. LP super is the slowest and HP is fastest
  • Distorted84Distorted84 Joined: Posts: 8
    As long as Guile isn't out of range, the ex dp hits him. If he's out of range of ex dp, you're forced to block and take the chip. U2 also beats sonic hurricane...but who uses that? lol

yeh you wouldn't be using U2, especially against Guile.
  • PsychoSupremePsychoSupreme Drew Joined: Posts: 393
    what IS one matchup where U2 is more preferred then U1? I've been wondering that for a while actually.
    Ya-Ha!
  • BourkenatorBourkenator Joined: Posts: 39
    what IS one matchup where U2 is more preferred then U1? I've been wondering that for a while actually.

I'd say a matchup where it's useful would be Cammy. She wants to jump to start her offense, and U2 beats all jumpins and all her cannon strikes. You can also punish a blocked dp with dash up U2 but it's pretty hard.
    Some other matchups it could be useful in are maybe Rufus to punish jumpins or Akuma to stop mixups, but I haven't really used this much. And then there's wierd punishes like you can punish a blocked EX MGB by Dudley with a reversal U2, but I don't think stuff like that is important enough to pick it over U1.
    I'd say those are actually bad matchups for U2. You don't really want to AA a dive kick with it, because it's a bit of a guess...if they dive kick early, they'll be safe. Or they can cross you up and be safe. Same with the vortex. Akuma will just cross you up and you'll whiff. Any of his other options, he'll be able to block if he's doing it correctly.

U1 is just so good, that U2 isn't going to be favored in any match. If you can land U2, you can land a dp which leads to u1, but you can land a dp in 100 times more situations than you can land U2. Not to mention you are safe, if that dp is blocked.
  • Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 393
    Question: I was playing last night and this person kept jumping in on me and landing it. His spacing was perfect or something because i really could not tell which side to block. He jumped in using Ken and Ryu using a j.mk.

Is there any place that can explain exactly the spacing to do this? It was really hard to tell if it would cross up or not.
    PC AE ID: opticknads
    Learning the spacing for that mostly comes from experience. The best way to do it is to land a shoulder throw. The spacing right after the throw is perfect for a crossup, but it's not ambiguous. So, land the shoulder throw, walk backwards slightly, and jump from there. Also, work on timing this jump so that you hit them on the first frame after they've gotten up. This will make it a safe jump vs. most of the reversals in the game.
  • 730BlackMage730BlackMage Supporting France for Euro 2012 Joined: Posts: 1,460
    I'm having a lot of trouble playing ranked matches for some reason. I dunno if this is a Ryu problem, but he's who I main. I have trouble not button mashing at times, and my reaction time to someone jumping is poor. and I never try to pull off a combo without a jump-in, for some reason I just have trouble thinking about it. I'll do jab jab, but usually cause I'm mashing after they finish a combo/move. What should I do to get better tighten my game? Also, are there any pretty good Ryu players on here that will sit with a lowly player and help them out? I mean, I watch videos, do all that training mode stuff, but its really hard to actually get into a match and recognize what I am doing wrong.
    CAN YOU DIG IT!!!
  • Chozo003Chozo003 Joined: Posts: 1
    Hey, I'm an extremely new SF player, just picked up a copy yesterday and haven't really played before. Limited experience with some other fighting games, all "new-school" though. How do I combo Shoryuken after a heavy punch? I'm trying to do air heavy kick into a heavy punch into shuryuken into shinku hadouken, but I can't seem to get the timing right for the shoryuken. Thanks in advance to anyone who even bothers to reply to this scrubby question. =)
  • -Cross--Cross- Body ga...amee ze! Joined: Posts: 271
    ^you have to "cancel" the heavy punch into the shoryuken, make sure you do it fast enough but also make sure your completing the full dragon punch motion forward, down, crease

a quick question what are ryu's best block strings? ive tried searching around but i cant seem to find any good info on block strings
    Depends on what you want to use the block string for.

• Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 393
    I'm having a lot of trouble playing ranked matches for some reason. I dunno if this is a Ryu problem, but he's who I main. I have trouble not button mashing at times, and my reaction time to someone jumping is poor. and I never try to pull off a combo without a jump-in, for some reason I just have trouble thinking about it. I'll do jab jab, but usually cause I'm mashing after they finish a combo/move. What should I do to get better tighten my game? Also, are there any pretty good Ryu players on here that will sit with a lowly player and help them out? I mean, I watch videos, do all that training mode stuff, but its really hard to actually get into a match and recognize what I am doing wrong.

There is a thread in here that will help you in some basic combos. Your problem is that you are probably mashing. take your time. You have more time to do moves than what you think. It may be harder if you are playing on a hdtv because those tv generally have lag making it harder to do combos or even play the game properly.

as for jumping. Try not to jump so much. Use c.mk xx hado to start off some offense on the ground. It is best actually to get your opponent in the air because at that point he is vulnerable to many attacks.

Use other characters so you get a good feel of the game.
    PC AE ID: opticknads
  • -Cross--Cross- Body ga...amee ze! Joined: Posts: 271
    Depends on what you want to use the block string for.

could you elaborate please?
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,583
    What are Ryu's setups for crossup hurricane?

The more ambiguous the better.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    could you elaborate please?

Do you want it to space out the opponent to keep you safe from reversal chip, or only just enough for some kind of ground mix-up?

Do you want to inflict safe chip damage?

"Safe-ish" chip damage?

Do you want to frame trap your opponent if they are:

1. Mashing 3 frame jab/short?
    2. Attempting to reversal, or non-reversal, non-invincible special? Which?
    3. Early crouch teching?
    4. Late crouch teching?
    5. Teching in reaction to stand animations?
    6. Stand teching/reverse throwing?
    7. Attempting backdash?
    8. Trying to jump?
    9. Mashing boxer's jab/dictator's short? (Deserves it's own goddamned category.)

(6, 7, 8, and sometimes 2 can also be caught without frame traps by including low attacks in the string.)

Do you want to keep them somewhat lock downed for an extended period to play around with when you release them from close pressure?

A block string can also be used to condition the opponent to expect one kind of string to make some other tactic more viable.

When it comes to block strings and ryu, you only have really safe and simple true block strings. Or block strings with gaps that aren't entirely safe, but can be used to beat some tactics. This is because ryu has no moves that give him greater than +2 advantage on block. (Except for jump-in attacks of course.)

• GuidoGuido Joined: Posts: 29
    Ryu lp DP anti air trade into U1 works but you have to be really fast. OS vanilla technique recommended - Choi

which ultra option select after lp dp trade is John Choi talking about?

thx!
    What is the context of the quote?

What are Ryu's setups for crossup hurricane?

The more ambiguous the better.

The ones I use are:

shoulder throw -> immediate backdash -> immediate crossup hk tatsu.

back throw -> walk forward -> crossup hk tatsu

shoulder throw -> walk back slightly(for timing and so it looks like you won't crossup) -> crossup lk tatsu

Those are all fairly safe. They'll beat reversal dps. Gets beat by stuff like deejay's up kicks or ex spinning bird. Sometimes they can trade in you favor, but I haven't figured out any timing or spacing to force it to happen. A delayed auto correct dp also wins.
    What is the context of the quote?

Ryu lp DP anti air trade into U1 works but you have to be really fast. OS vanilla technique recommended - Choi

AE Ryu.
    I suppose every time you try an lp dp, you can try to continue the motion into ultra?

O-s is option select, not just "buffering the motion".
    Not everybody uses the right term.

Besides, many OS rely on "buffering a motion" at the right time. They're not all clever and use mechanics like chains, cross-up inputs, teching window, etc.

• pietonpieton Joined: Posts: 515
    I think what he meant is you do to 2 quarter circle motion after your DP and hit 3 punch if you think it will connect
    O-s is option select, not just "buffering the motion".

It'd be an OS if you hit PPP. Trade will OS to ultra, no trade and ultra won't come out.
  • BlantronBlantron Great Foxx Joined: Posts: 125
    I'm not entirely sure about this, but Ryu's fireball in ae feels like it has better recovery. I say this only because it seemed like I was able to more easily dp fb jumpers. It's probably all in my head but if anyone can shed some light on this that'd be great:)
    CHUCKIN' DAT PLASMA
  • Dumb Luck07Dumb Luck07 Joined: Posts: 401
    Question does Ryu have any unblockable Mk setups you know where you block either side you still get hit and have to do something like block late do a crouching normal to get out of it?
    here is your past, present, and future
    best wishes for you in all of your endeavours
    Age 10: you want to play games
    Age 15: you wish you could make games
    Age 20: you want to have game
    Age 25: you wish you could play games
    Age 30: you got played and
    Age 35: now your kids want games "deadfrog"
    If any have been found, they've yet to be reported.

If any have been found, they've yet to be reported.

I found one on Cammy where you shoryuken right next to her then move forward a little then Jump in Mk. She can;t block it but she can do a crouching normal,Spiral Arrow,Spin Knuckle, or backdash to get out of it. i'm pretty sure you could punish most of her escape options minus the crouching lk. To block it you to crouch then block it as a crossup not unblockable but unless you see it coming. Ill have to test it for more characters. I searched youtube couldn't find anything about it I can upload a vid if you want.
    It's against Cammy? That's interesting. What strength of SRK are we talking about? And did you only test when you SRK them on the ground? Tested when you're right next to them before the SRK?

This is complicated by the fact that you aren't a set distance away from the character at the start, like if you had done a throw.

It's against Cammy? That's interesting. What strength of SRK are we talking about? And did you only test when you SRK them on the ground? Tested when you're right next to them before the SRK?

This is complicated by the fact that you aren't a set distance away from the character at the start, like if you had done a throw.

Lp Dp you have to be upclose like touching the other person to do it so I was thinking may be you could do it if the Cammy uses a high cannon strike on wakeup since it leaves right in front. Ill have to test it to see if I can get it to happen in some combo or from an AA shoryuken.
    EDIT I just did it off of a Back throw. You back throw then take one full step then jump Mk and for this one you can do a crouching normal, Ex Spin knuckle ,backdash, duck then block it as a crossup. I couldnt get cannon spike to hit but its probably really hard to do.
  • 730BlackMage730BlackMage Supporting France for Euro 2012 Joined: Posts: 1,460
    what is the best solar plexus combo? (in case I'm saying the wrong move, i mean f+fierce)
    CAN YOU DIG IT!!!
  • miakssf4miakssf4 Joined: Posts: 15
    Hello. Few questions from this vid
    How this ryu always react on jump-in with DP. Just reaction? How can i train that? Did he buffer dp? why he doing cr.mp? is it buffer? How do it right?
    Plz help. Cant react on jumps = loose game
  • DarthPaul1982DarthPaul1982 2 4 Ricky, 2 4 Daigo Joined: Posts: 861
    @ 730BlackMage : Best F.FP combo is F.FP, C.FP SRK usually. You can change that to F.FP, C.MP, C.FK if you want the knockdown, or F.FP, C.FP, Tatsu if you dont want to risk messing up.

Miakssf4 : In the case of that video, hitting the DP everytime is actually pretty easy. He's playing Honda so he is expecting the jumps and will probably be buffering near constantly, certainly during fireballs.
    Training to DP everytime is completely dependant on the way you play and how fast your reactions are. If you are expecting
    a jump then buffer the DP by mashing on Down / Down Forward. Otherwise, its really just a case of becoming very familiar with the DP motion and beginning to buffer the moment the opponent's feet leave the ground.
    MP SRKs are always the best SRK for jump-ins. They have additional invincibility frames compared to FP and LP SRK so its easier to do them correctly. Only use LP SRK if you want to hit them early and combo into ultra without burning metre.
    "A healthy disrespect for your fellow man is what made srk strong to begin with I think. But it's easy to take it too far." -- Theli; uber tech-god of the Ryu section.
  • miakssf4miakssf4 Joined: Posts: 15
    DarthPaul1982: mashing DP down forward will looks like i sit-up it will be stupid no one do it. i think they buffering somehow while do cr.mp but i dont know how. I training full motion. I tried your short cut but it's worst of all. Then i start doing like 123212321. But it's do you open against footsies. Works not every time and do super very often because of my bad hands). Now i trying do fullmotion. I sure all good players do full motion.
    And again, are exist method of buffering dp while do cr.mp?
    sorry for my english )))
    DarthPaul1982: mashing DP down forward will looks like i sit-up it will be stupid no one do it. i think they buffering somehow while do cr.mp but i dont know how. I training full motion. I tried your short cut but it's worst of all. Then i start doing like 123212321. But it's do you open against footsies. Works not every time and do super very often because of my bad hands). Now i trying do fullmotion. I sure all good players do full motion.
    And again, are exist method of buffering dp while do cr.mp?
    sorry for my english )))

i dont mean Down / Foward I mean Down then D/F i.e 2,3,2,3,2,3 etc. And no, not all good players use full motion cause of the shite input of 4, most use shortcuts.

how do you mean buffering whilst doing C.MP?

EDIT : just watched video. Hes hitting C.MP so he can hold the button down ready for the SRK. It's easy to use negative edge (releasing the button when you do a special rather than pressing it). So hes making usre he is holding MP at all times so his SRK will come out quicker.

hope that helps.
    "A healthy disrespect for your fellow man is what made srk strong to begin with I think. But it's easy to take it too far." -- Theli; uber tech-god of the Ryu section.
  • fistoftheryustarfistoftheryustar Joined: Posts: 2,170
    What are some ways of catching an opponent off guard with a Metsu Shoryuken?

Not his best Ultra, but so much damage and so fun to play in casuals with friends. What things do you do to fake out the opponent and land this Ultra II?
    My drawing:
    Mai cheats on Ryu - "Shin Shoryuken!"

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7115525&postcount=252
  • stanzzastanzza Joined: Posts: 112

Not his best Ultra, but so much damage and so fun to play in casuals with friends. What things do you do to fake out the opponent and land this Ultra II?

Catch ppl off guard and for fun... I sometimes tick throw often to season them. Throw away my ex-bar to make sure I can't fadc. Then I jump in and just immediate u2. If u dun mind losing..

Wow, hard question. You mean without an FA and without a jump.....? Huh. Well youd either need to Ume it by learning your opponent habits and hitting it during one of their normals or youd have to train them into teching at a certain time. To do that you simply throw after a specific move or set-up repeatedly. e.g, you could repeatedly use jump, C.MP, throw and then when they start teching hit the U2. A decent opponent isnt going to tech everytime though. Sometimes they will intentionally allow you to throw them to avoid being hit by anything bigger.
  • A2ZOMGA2ZOMG Joined: Posts: 126
    If I read frame data correctly, Ryu's fireball has 22 frames of hitstun and is like +6-7 on hit when you FADC correctly during combos.

Can someone explain to me why fireballs are -2 on hit normally despite the move being listed as having 45 frames of endlag? Frame data and fireballs confuses me.
    On the srk wiki, the number 45 is immediately followed by "(total duration)". This means that the entire move takes 45 frames. I'm sure this is listed this way as the move itself doesn't have any active frames. Only the hado it spawns does.

As the fireball spawns on the 13th frame and inflicts 8+22 hit stun you can calculate -2 frame advantage. (45 - 13 - 30 = 2)

(Incidentaly,, I have a couple theories as to why it is split to show 8+22.. Most likely it has to do with the 8 frames being the freeze frames of the hado. Projectiles only cause freeze frames on the target. The attacker is free to do other things. So we can surmise that 8 is how many frames the target is frozen before the actual 22 hit stun of the hado takes effect. This is normally irrelevant unless you can cancel your own freeze frames, which is actually possible using the armor cancel glitch/technique.)

Also on the SRK wiki is listed the note: "15~16f cancellable" This cancellability applies to FADC as well. As Ryu takes 21 frames from when he starts an FADC to start an attack, the most frame advantage you can get at pointblank range is... (13 + 30) - (15 + 21) = +7.

I'm actually wondering where you heard the +6-7 number. It seems accurate. But I've never actually seen it mentioned anywhere.

not sure if anyone has this info...

im looking into my SRK reversals and need to know some frame data. The SRK travels horizontally during its active frame, meaning that frame 3 is not always the relevant one, making it hard to judge exactly when you can and cannot SRK. Does anyone have any idea on what frame the SRk reaches its furthest horizontal point....?
    I have the hitbox data. I'll figure it out for you as soon as I can. Just got a new PC and I need to get the correct codecs and whatnot installed. A quick look tho, he travels horizontally for most of the way up. Are you looking for the furthest reaching grounded frame, furthest reaching invincible frame, or the furthest horizontal frame?

edit: I've been slacking on it because of some health issues, and now I need to get this PC setup, but I've been working on Gifs of Ken's hitbox data. Is that something the Ryu forum would find useful, also? Can probably find time for it after I finish Ken's.

http://www.makeagif.com/media/12-30-2010/KwL1vh.gif