Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• DarthPaul1982DarthPaul1982 2 4 Ricky, 2 4 Daigo Joined: Posts: 861
    @ 730BlackMage : Best F.FP combo is F.FP, C.FP SRK usually. You can change that to F.FP, C.MP, C.FK if you want the knockdown, or F.FP, C.FP, Tatsu if you dont want to risk messing up.

Miakssf4 : In the case of that video, hitting the DP everytime is actually pretty easy. He's playing Honda so he is expecting the jumps and will probably be buffering near constantly, certainly during fireballs.
    Training to DP everytime is completely dependant on the way you play and how fast your reactions are. If you are expecting
    a jump then buffer the DP by mashing on Down / Down Forward. Otherwise, its really just a case of becoming very familiar with the DP motion and beginning to buffer the moment the opponent's feet leave the ground.
    MP SRKs are always the best SRK for jump-ins. They have additional invincibility frames compared to FP and LP SRK so its easier to do them correctly. Only use LP SRK if you want to hit them early and combo into ultra without burning metre.
    "A healthy disrespect for your fellow man is what made srk strong to begin with I think. But it's easy to take it too far." -- Theli; uber tech-god of the Ryu section.
  • miakssf4miakssf4 Joined: Posts: 15
    DarthPaul1982: mashing DP down forward will looks like i sit-up it will be stupid no one do it. i think they buffering somehow while do cr.mp but i dont know how. I training full motion. I tried your short cut but it's worst of all. Then i start doing like 123212321. But it's do you open against footsies. Works not every time and do super very often because of my bad hands). Now i trying do fullmotion. I sure all good players do full motion.
    And again, are exist method of buffering dp while do cr.mp?
    sorry for my english )))
    DarthPaul1982: mashing DP down forward will looks like i sit-up it will be stupid no one do it. i think they buffering somehow while do cr.mp but i dont know how. I training full motion. I tried your short cut but it's worst of all. Then i start doing like 123212321. But it's do you open against footsies. Works not every time and do super very often because of my bad hands). Now i trying do fullmotion. I sure all good players do full motion.
    And again, are exist method of buffering dp while do cr.mp?
    sorry for my english )))

i dont mean Down / Foward I mean Down then D/F i.e 2,3,2,3,2,3 etc. And no, not all good players use full motion cause of the shite input of 4, most use shortcuts.

how do you mean buffering whilst doing C.MP?

EDIT : just watched video. Hes hitting C.MP so he can hold the button down ready for the SRK. It's easy to use negative edge (releasing the button when you do a special rather than pressing it). So hes making usre he is holding MP at all times so his SRK will come out quicker.

hope that helps.
    "A healthy disrespect for your fellow man is what made srk strong to begin with I think. But it's easy to take it too far." -- Theli; uber tech-god of the Ryu section.
  • fistoftheryustarfistoftheryustar Joined: Posts: 2,170
    What are some ways of catching an opponent off guard with a Metsu Shoryuken?

Not his best Ultra, but so much damage and so fun to play in casuals with friends. What things do you do to fake out the opponent and land this Ultra II?
    My drawing:
    Mai cheats on Ryu - "Shin Shoryuken!"

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7115525&postcount=252
  • stanzzastanzza Joined: Posts: 112

Not his best Ultra, but so much damage and so fun to play in casuals with friends. What things do you do to fake out the opponent and land this Ultra II?

Catch ppl off guard and for fun... I sometimes tick throw often to season them. Throw away my ex-bar to make sure I can't fadc. Then I jump in and just immediate u2. If u dun mind losing..

Wow, hard question. You mean without an FA and without a jump.....? Huh. Well youd either need to Ume it by learning your opponent habits and hitting it during one of their normals or youd have to train them into teching at a certain time. To do that you simply throw after a specific move or set-up repeatedly. e.g, you could repeatedly use jump, C.MP, throw and then when they start teching hit the U2. A decent opponent isnt going to tech everytime though. Sometimes they will intentionally allow you to throw them to avoid being hit by anything bigger.
  • A2ZOMGA2ZOMG Joined: Posts: 126
    If I read frame data correctly, Ryu's fireball has 22 frames of hitstun and is like +6-7 on hit when you FADC correctly during combos.

Can someone explain to me why fireballs are -2 on hit normally despite the move being listed as having 45 frames of endlag? Frame data and fireballs confuses me.
  • TheliTheli Joined: Posts: 1,586
    On the srk wiki, the number 45 is immediately followed by "(total duration)". This means that the entire move takes 45 frames. I'm sure this is listed this way as the move itself doesn't have any active frames. Only the hado it spawns does.

As the fireball spawns on the 13th frame and inflicts 8+22 hit stun you can calculate -2 frame advantage. (45 - 13 - 30 = 2)

(Incidentaly,, I have a couple theories as to why it is split to show 8+22.. Most likely it has to do with the 8 frames being the freeze frames of the hado. Projectiles only cause freeze frames on the target. The attacker is free to do other things. So we can surmise that 8 is how many frames the target is frozen before the actual 22 hit stun of the hado takes effect. This is normally irrelevant unless you can cancel your own freeze frames, which is actually possible using the armor cancel glitch/technique.)

Also on the SRK wiki is listed the note: "15~16f cancellable" This cancellability applies to FADC as well. As Ryu takes 21 frames from when he starts an FADC to start an attack, the most frame advantage you can get at pointblank range is... (13 + 30) - (15 + 21) = +7.

I'm actually wondering where you heard the +6-7 number. It seems accurate. But I've never actually seen it mentioned anywhere.

“That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”

not sure if anyone has this info...

im looking into my SRK reversals and need to know some frame data. The SRK travels horizontally during its active frame, meaning that frame 3 is not always the relevant one, making it hard to judge exactly when you can and cannot SRK. Does anyone have any idea on what frame the SRk reaches its furthest horizontal point....?
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    I have the hitbox data. I'll figure it out for you as soon as I can. Just got a new PC and I need to get the correct codecs and whatnot installed. A quick look tho, he travels horizontally for most of the way up. Are you looking for the furthest reaching grounded frame, furthest reaching invincible frame, or the furthest horizontal frame?

edit: I've been slacking on it because of some health issues, and now I need to get this PC setup, but I've been working on Gifs of Ken's hitbox data. Is that something the Ryu forum would find useful, also? Can probably find time for it after I finish Ken's.

http://www.makeagif.com/media/12-30-2010/KwL1vh.gif
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
    ^ that's beautiful dude. Its not a shoryuken so isnt relevant to my question but it IS beautiful.

Hope your health issue sorts itself out. Get well soon. And fuck, dont worry about answering my question when youre not well dude, please. There's no rush.
    Thanks DP, I appreciate it. Answer that question, though. You need to be more specific, because the furthest Ryu travels on a mp dp, is the last few active frames....all the way at the top of the screen. I think I know what you're getting at though, because that's how Rog's safe jump vs. Ryu works(back throw, forward dash, j.hp). On the 3rd frame, Ryu hasn't moved forward far enough to hit him, and by the time he does, he's not invincible anymore and gets stuffed. I'd guess you're asking for the furthest invincible frame, which would be the fifth.
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod
    This possibly applies to any character, but what is the best way to deal with Vega(Claw)'s super? Do you need to back dash at the last moment to avoid it? Are there other ways to avoid it? Can you hit him out of it? I hate that thing...it owns me for free :(
  • A2ZOMGA2ZOMG Joined: Posts: 126
    Late reply. Thanks for helping Theli.
    On the srk wiki, the number 45 is immediately followed by "(total duration)". This means that the entire move takes 45 frames. I'm sure this is listed this way as the move itself doesn't have any active frames. Only the hado it spawns does.

As the fireball spawns on the 13th frame and inflicts 8+22 hit stun you can calculate -2 frame advantage. (45 - 13 - 30 = 2)

(Incidentaly,, I have a couple theories as to why it is split to show 8+22.. Most likely it has to do with the 8 frames being the freeze frames of the hado. Projectiles only cause freeze frames on the target. The attacker is free to do other things. So we can surmise that 8 is how many frames the target is frozen before the actual 22 hit stun of the hado takes effect. This is normally irrelevant unless you can cancel your own freeze frames, which is actually possible using the armor cancel glitch/technique.)

Also on the SRK wiki is listed the note: "15~16f cancellable" This cancellability applies to FADC as well. As Ryu takes 21 frames from when he starts an FADC to start an attack, the most frame advantage you can get at pointblank range is... (13 + 30) - (15 + 21) = +7.

I'm actually wondering where you heard the +6-7 number. It seems accurate. But I've never actually seen it mentioned anywhere.
    Effing eventhubs mindgamed me. I'm a noob. I'ma gonna rely on SRK for my frame data from now on.

Being the dumbass I was, I assumed that Ryu had a 16 frame forward dash and that 22 frames of hitstun minus the difference from FADCing led to about a 6-7 frame advantage depending on spacing. It made sense anyway, since I knew the link into U2 was extremely tight, not to mention I realized linking into normals (ie sweep) from fireball FADC actually required skill at point blank range.

I know, crazy story. But thanks for clearing everything up.
    Ryu's forward dash is 18 frames. But then there are oddities when dashing out of an FADC that lose a frame and add 4 to reach 21.

Yeah. I barely visit event hubs for anything really. It's rarely worth it for me.

Also, U2 is 1+7 frames. So that's an 8 frame Ultra. To FADC into it from a hado requires the hado to travel a frame or two so you can get more frame advantage.

Ryu's forward dash is 18 frames. But then there are oddities when dashing out of an FADC that lose a frame and add 4 to reach 21.

Yeah. I barely visit event hubs for anything really. It's rarely worth it for me.

Also, U2 is 1+7 frames. So that's an 8 frame Ultra. To FADC into it from a hado requires the hado to travel a frame or two so you can get more frame advantage.

Hi Theli, what does a 1+7 in frame data mean? What does Ryu do in the 1 and the 7?

1 frame to start the ultra, hit on 8th frame?
    Also for fb it says 12+1 and 1+1+1 for super. What does Ryu do during these frame breakdown?

Thanks
    1+7 = One frame for startup and flash/animation, and next 6 as regular start-up and active on 8th. Yeah.

Fireballs spawn a frame before they are hit.

12+1 = 11 frame startup with hado spawning on 12th frame and hitting on 13th. (You can get hit on the 12th frame, it will not be counter-hit, and the hado would still spawn.)

1+1+1 = 1 frame startup and flash/animation, next frame hado will spawn, and last frame hado will hit. Ryu can get hit or thrown on frame 2 and the hado would still spawn and be active on frame 3.

Oh, now I see.

Thanks a lot
    Hi Theli, what does a 1+7 in frame data mean? What does Ryu do in the 1 and the 7?

1 frame to start the ultra, hit on 8th frame?
    Also for fb it says 12+1 and 1+1+1 for super. What does Ryu do during these frame breakdown?

Thanks

you dont know this already, lord....?

wowzers.
  • PewPewPewPew Joined: Posts: 93
    I just found something glitchy in training mode, dont know if you guys know yet.
    Ryu vs El Fuerte in corner only
    If Ryu hadouken FADC and hold the direction, he will go THROUGH fuerte and be on other side, can also do jab xx stuff after as well.
    Only works if you cancel light attacks into the hadouken, medium attack cancels will put Ryu too far to cross up.
    I know it works on fuerte, doesnt work on Ken, too lazy to try all characters.
  • ScaR3-8_5ScaR3-8_5 REKKAS Joined: Posts: 12
    can u daigo os with a cross up med kick?
    It's fuerte only. Can do it off of close mp xx fadc(no fireball), also. It also works midscreen if you do a deep j.hp, then cl.mp xx fadc. It's mostly useless though, because it only works on hit. So, it's not good for any kind of mixup. Although...i just thought of one possible use...I'll edit if it works(might be able to extend some combos with it midscreen).
  • cylencer22cylencer22 Joined: Posts: 17
    cross up defense

whats the best way to shoryuken a cross up attempt. auto correct isn't very consistent
    Crosscut is also recommended.

:f::df::d::db: + p

Time the :d::db: input just after they've gone over to the other side.

Some jump-ins are much harder to counter than others. So you'll have to rely on your own experience on what you're capable of doing.

• donaldducktmdonaldducktm A Higher Donald Duck! Joined: Posts: 2,030
    How do you punish Bison's scissors on block? When I SRK, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    donaldducktm: what are some good "setups" to ask a girl to prom?
    Originally posted by RandomNigga
    Call sent ground, triangle dash behind her. If she turns around to confront you and not get crossed-up, leave her be; the pussy is on lock. If she gets hit by drones and passes out, rape her; all the fun of prom with no expense. If she takes three from sent in the face and is still conscious, claim her; she's a keeper.

What should you expect from shrooming?
    Originally posted by chair_home
    You'll grow to about twice your regular size, but strangely, your overalls and plumber's hat will grow to fit you too. If you pick up any flowers, you'll be able to throw fireballs, but watch out for turtles and potatoes with feet, touching them will revert you to your original size.
    *cough*.
    It depends on what verion he uses. Lk version is always safe. For the others, you can reversal srk or combo, depending on how deep it hits. I think all versions can be safe if spaced correctly, though.
    lk scissor kicks can be a very safe pressure tool. Other versions can be punishable on block.

If you are at the right distance, then the scissor kicks will only connect on you once. It is possible to focus attack through the one hit. But this tends to be a gimmick due to the many ways to beat an anticipatory focus.

Sometimes it's possible to throw out a move that will beat bison the next time he scissor kicks. I've had luck with c.lp, c.mp, and s.mp. (And even s.mk.) If he gets way too predictable, then these can help get him off. If he stays random, then the other moves he attempts (c.lk, s.mk, s.hk, s.hp, headstomp, charge focus at distance, etc.) will probably counter-hit most of your bad guesses.

Jumping back can sometimes be effective for obvious reasons. But, again, if you're too predictable you'll just eat something bad. (Well timed bison s.hk or EX headstomp for example.)

Being in the corner against a good bison is a guessing game with the odds pretty heavily in his favor. You just have to recognize that, take your time and block, make good guesses (but don't try to guess every time), and work out strategies to avoid being put into that situation as much as possible.

• donaldducktmdonaldducktm A Higher Donald Duck! Joined: Posts: 2,030
    Thanks for the quick responses and advices SRKers. If I have anymore questions, I know where to post.
    donaldducktm: what are some good "setups" to ask a girl to prom?
    Originally posted by RandomNigga
    Call sent ground, triangle dash behind her. If she turns around to confront you and not get crossed-up, leave her be; the pussy is on lock. If she gets hit by drones and passes out, rape her; all the fun of prom with no expense. If she takes three from sent in the face and is still conscious, claim her; she's a keeper.

What should you expect from shrooming?
    Originally posted by chair_home
    You'll grow to about twice your regular size, but strangely, your overalls and plumber's hat will grow to fit you too. If you pick up any flowers, you'll be able to throw fireballs, but watch out for turtles and potatoes with feet, touching them will revert you to your original size.
    *cough*.
  • Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 396
    ok I got one. I played this amazing deejay the other night. I beat him once and that is it and i could not figure out what to do.

He out zoned me and out footsied me. Hard to aa his jumpins ( might be because of online). cant aa his cross up (maybe online). I was forced to block his air slash or else I would get hit but when i blocked it pushed me away from him. Slide is really anoying. sobait kicks focus breaks and are safe, lower body invicibility. I can't jump in because of up kicks. Tried os c.lp to sweep and he would back dash too far away. Sometimes it worked. os tatsu then he would blocked. I clueless

What do I do?
    PC AE ID: opticknads
    why do members of the Ryu section cry as soon as you so much as question there information...? Is there some frame date to back this up, and hitboxes..? (Im thinking the tear ducts in the face go active about 2 frames after reading a slightly disparaging remark... can someone confirm this...?)
  • DoctorWho3kDoctorWho3k Got the tools of survival Joined: Posts: 315
    Is a meaty jab os safe against dp?
    AKA Remy, if you see me on live and want to play just shoot me an invite.
    Mains
    Marvel:Nova,Frank,Wesker (attempting vergil, zero) SF4:Gief, Bison MK: Jax SCV:Pyrrah SFXT: Bison,HUUUUGO
    Theli; your inbox is full. (Didnt know where to put this)
  • bguilebguile Joined: Posts: 254
    Is a meaty jab os safe against dp?

not sure which OS you are doing but i doubt there is any meaty normal OS that is safe against a DP. DP hits in 3 frames, so all normals will be hit.

jumping attack OS EX DP is also unsafe.

empty jump EX DP (not an OS) is safe against all regular DP because it has longer invincibility.
    for any meaty OS to be safe against a DP the move would have to have less than 2 recovery frames (the move would need to go from active to ended in less than the DPs 3 frame start-up).

The only way around this would be to distance yourself from Ryu and use a move with an exceptional hitbox that Ryu's DP will not hit during its invincibility (much like how you can beat DP with a distant C.MP). For instance, you could do meaty distanced C.MP that the DP cannot beat and OS a forward dash. That would create 3 potential situations, 1) C.Mp hits cause opponent either jumped or SRKd, 2) C.MP is blocked, 3) opponent backdashes, you forward dash, leaving you at neutral frames.

not suggesting you do the above, just saying its the only way to OS and beat a DP with a normal.
  • bguilebguile Joined: Posts: 254
    ...For instance, you could do meaty distanced C.MP that the DP cannot beat and OS a forward dash. That would create 3 potential situations, 1) C.Mp hits cause opponent either jumped or SRKd...

Does that really work? I have never tested this. You can do a far distant cr.MP and stuff DP? Does that work on all version (except EX)?

I didnt know this...I'll have to test this shit out :).
    Does that really work? I have never tested this. You can do a far distant cr.MP and stuff DP? Does that work on all version (except EX)?

I didnt know this...I'll have to test this shit out :).

yeah, should do. I dont actually use it though. I know for certain it worked in Vanilla and im 90% certain I tested it in super as well. With Ryu it only works with C.Mp but other characters have different moves that work too (I think a perfectly spaced C.LP from Boxer can stuff DP too).

The OS I just posted might not work though... was theorising. You can definately stuff DPs with certain normals at the right distance though. The horizontal priority of a SRk is not that great. If you can make a normal collide with the SRK AFTER invincibility has warn off and at max distance, you can beat it. Whether there is a practical application of this Ive no clue... kinda doubt it though.

oh, and yeah, it should work on all versions (though again that was tested in Vanilla)... the spacing will be different though, I think, as the SRKs travel distant horizontal distances.
    anyone going to answer my question?
    anyone going to answer my question? I took a beating from a dee jay
    Would if I could, megaman. But only advice I'd give would probably sound crappy and I doubt you'd want to hear it. But hey, let's give it a shot...
    He out zoned me and out footsied me. Hard to aa his jumpins ( might be because of online). cant aa his cross up (maybe online). I was forced to block his air slash or else I would get hit but when i blocked it pushed me away from him. Slide is really anoying. sobait kicks focus breaks and are safe, lower body invicibility. I can't jump in because of up kicks. Tried os c.lp to sweep and he would back dash too far away. Sometimes it worked. os tatsu then he would blocked. I clueless

It just sounds like you're missing some subtleties in his attack patterns. You get hit by something when trying to counter it and then the natural reaction is to just stop trying to counter it. That is sometimes the right answer. But it also sometimes prevents you from trying new things that might work.

You of course shouldn't jump at him when he has charge (and especially not with meter.) But that doesn't mean that you should stop attempting or let up if he's lost it.

You can try to do the c.lp ~~ hado OS if sweep will not work. It may be worth practicing.

Analyze your own play. Do you tend to try some particular action after you get caught by something of his? Or maybe just when you try to block? Is your desperation to get out of the pressure making you do a small set of things that he is able to prepare for or guess reliably?

Some match-ups require that you get the lead early and then make them come to you. That way getting in to do damage is less a pressing issue. Getting them to move can be what you need to create opportunities to keep whittling them down in a less predictable fashion. That's sometimes a major element with many of the more defensive characters.

I guess the most important thing I'd like to get across is to stop trying to look for a single clear solution of a gameplan or even perfect and immediate counters. Focus on the little stuff and make just a part of the match more troublesome for them and simpler for you. And then build on that. You may not have a clear enough understanding of the situation to properly deal with a certain style of player. It may take a lot of effort to get there, so take it a small step at a time.

• ShervinShervin 09'er Joined: Posts: 1,994
    Which DP is the best for AA? Every time I do it it freakin trades
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

__

I've been told I'm entertaining in Battlefield and my roommate and I often get in fist fights over Nba 2k, watch here: