Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• BatossaiBatossai Joined: Posts: 9
    Hey guys i have another question, so lately i have started to get the hang of anti-airing, footsies and general space control for ryu, am still not great but i would like to vary my gameplay to keep my opponent guessing with a bit of offense. but so far am having trouble starting my offense.
    I have practiced combo execution to a level am comfortable with, what am having trouble with is getting in on an opponent with ryu. I usually try to get a knock down then go for a safe-jump and try to hit confirm but most of the time the opponent ends up just blocking. i try to mix it up with a throw but i don't know what to do after that other than a crossup tatsu. I have also tried crossing up with jumping mk but i either get thrown or blocked. should i utilize lvl 2 focus more? or just relentlessly hit confirm till i get a hit? or is there something wrong with my cross up if it keeps getting thrown or blocked?

Thank you very much !
  • mango2dscrubmango2dscrub Radwimp Joined: Posts: 70
    I need help dping with Ryu.

I was just practicing in training mode to anti-air a dummy jumping in. I could pretty much stop all the jump ins with crouching fierce, but when I tried to stop them with shoryuken, most of the time it would just trade or I would get hit. I know the shortcut is to be in crouching holding down forward, but when do people actually hold down forward? Can someone tell me the correct method to get good shoryuken anti-airs?
    I need help dping with Ryu.

I was just practicing in training mode to anti-air a dummy jumping in. I could pretty much stop all the jump ins with crouching fierce, but when I tried to stop them with shoryuken, most of the time it would just trade or I would get hit. I know the shortcut is to be in crouching holding down forward, but when do people actually hold down forward? Can someone tell me the correct method to get good shoryuken anti-airs?

Hi, i am practicing the same thing, which version of shoryuken are you using? the medium version is the best one to anti-air with, it trades less than the light or fierce version. Also you dont have to hold down forward you can just hit down forward when you need to dp. What i do is i hit down forward > down > down forward > mp, i found that if i slightly delay the shoryuken it hits more often (the medium version). lastly the shortcut also works if your standing, its good to practice that as well that way your not constrained to sitting in one spot. Hope that helps a bit, am still learning so do take it with a grain of salt.
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,696
    The key to antiairing well with SRK is to do them as late as possible. The later you do them, the better the chance your invincibility frames wi last long enough to make it a clean hit rather than a trade.

Except if you're going for a jab SRK into Super/Ultra juggle, them you wanna do them a little early for the better juggle angle.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
  • mango2dscrubmango2dscrub Radwimp Joined: Posts: 70
    I've been told to use medium DP for anti-airing, but I've seen a lot of videos of people like Daigo who use fierce dp a lot of the times. Why does he do that?

Also, I try to do them as late as I can, I guess I just do it too slow?
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,696
    I would imagine he does fierce DP for the damage. It's the only thing that would make it a preferable alternative to mp DP in an AA situation.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
    Batossai wrote: »
    Hey guys i have another question, so lately i have started to get the hang of anti-airing, footsies and general space control for ryu, am still not great but i would like to vary my gameplay to keep my opponent guessing with a bit of offense. but so far am having trouble starting my offense.
    I have practiced combo execution to a level am comfortable with, what am having trouble with is getting in on an opponent with ryu. I usually try to get a knock down then go for a safe-jump and try to hit confirm but most of the time the opponent ends up just blocking. i try to mix it up with a throw but i don't know what to do after that other than a crossup tatsu. I have also tried crossing up with jumping mk but i either get thrown or blocked. should i utilize lvl 2 focus more? or just relentlessly hit confirm till i get a hit? or is there something wrong with my cross up if it keeps getting thrown or blocked?

Thank you very much !

can anyone provide some insight on my question above?
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761

Thank you very much !

Best thing you can really do is watch what other players do. Find lots of matches of top players using Ryu and see what works. There's a ridiculous amount of setups. One thing you can try though, is after you land a throw, take a slight step backwards, then time a safe jump. Using different buttons it's pretty ambiguous. You can also find a character with a 4 or 5 frame, mashable reversal and record them mashing it in training mode. Punish them with throw and then practice the safe jump.

You honestly "get in" by doing what you're talking about. Pay footsies, zone, get that knockdown, and then your offense starts. The more you can frustrate them with your fundamentals, the more effective all your mixups are, cuz they know you can just take a step back and knock them down again. It's scarier. Work on those. The mixups and all that come easy later.

Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 835
    I find that Ryu's mix up game sucks. Everytime I play someone thats good they block everything.
    SF09ers wrote: »
    I find that Ryu's mix up game sucks. Everytime I play someone thats good they block everything.

Find new stuff.

• RammaRamma Team Blockstring Joined: Posts: 1,511
    So I've been playing a long time and made the decision to take on Ryu as my secondary (I've toyed with plenty of others and I just want that jack of all trades character to compliment my Cody. I realize Ryu doesn't cover Codys bad matches).

Anyway, not sure why I prefaced my question with that, but when going against Dudley, what's the best way to deal with a whiffed ducking straight through fireballs?

Also, coming from that Cody break ground, where are some of Ryus go to frame traps? I know there's one with st. cl. HK (but I have no idea what the set up is), and staggered cr. MPs...is there anything else (and what's the st. cl. HK set-up)?
    PSN/XBL: RammaCricket | CFN: BS_Ramma
    SFV: Cammy/Necalli | Fun Subs: Ryu, Alex, Gief
    USFIV: Cody | Alt: Zangief
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,667
    cr.mp into cr.mk is another one, though it pushes you away. If you have good confirms, buffer ex fireball into the kick. Ultra hilarity ensues if the kick hits.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • ZOMBIEGUTS TZAZOMBIEGUTS TZA Mediocre Player Joined: Posts: 472
    I've been told to use medium DP for anti-airing, but I've seen a lot of videos of people like Daigo who use fierce dp a lot of the times. Why does he do that?

Also, I try to do them as late as I can, I guess I just do it too slow?

He uses HP DP because it does 30 extra damage and only has one less frame of invincibility,which is exactly where MP DP used to be before it got buffed,in terms of invincibility.If you can AA DP reliably there isn't much call for MP DP outside of FADC,Ultra off of an AA.I'd encourage Ryu players to start trying HP SRK if they are confident in their anti air game.
    SSF4AE:Ryu
    SC5:Maxi
    SFxT:Kazuya x Ryu
    GT-ZOMBIEGUTS TZA
    What is the timing to grab Juri out of ex pinwheel? I grabbed her out of her ex pinwheel before but I can't do it consistently. I've also heard that cr.mp beats it but everytime I've tried it I get beat. Is there a way to time this if its true?
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,383
    SF09ers wrote: »
    What is the timing to grab Juri out of ex pinwheel? I grabbed her out of her ex pinwheel before but I can't do it consistently. I've also heard that cr.mp beats it but everytime I've tried it I get beat. Is there a way to time this if its true?
    Do st.hp xx fireball and buffer a sweep. If she does pinwheel then at worst it will trade for very minimal damage and you can combo into sweep on the trade.
    Dannkk wrote: »

Thank you very much !

Best thing you can really do is watch what other players do. Find lots of matches of top players using Ryu and see what works. There's a ridiculous amount of setups. One thing you can try though, is after you land a throw, take a slight step backwards, then time a safe jump. Using different buttons it's pretty ambiguous. You can also find a character with a 4 or 5 frame, mashable reversal and record them mashing it in training mode. Punish them with throw and then practice the safe jump.

You honestly "get in" by doing what you're talking about. Pay footsies, zone, get that knockdown, and then your offense starts. The more you can frustrate them with your fundamentals, the more effective all your mixups are, cuz they know you can just take a step back and knock them down again. It's scarier. Work on those. The mixups and all that come easy later.

Thanks alot i have been trying that throw- stepback tactic and it has been effective in opening up my opponents, especially ones that like to tech alot.
    For the combo cr.mk >> fireball>>fadc>>cr.mp>>cr.hp>>hk tatsu which fireball speed should i be using?
  • iPirateiPirate Joined: Posts: 11
    How can I make my set ups more ambiguous? I usually try to switch it up between cross up Tatsu, j.mk, and j.lk. But, they either block the cross up or mash dp in which case they either hit me, or I hit them but cant combo.
    So I guess my question is twofold. How to I make my set ups more ambiguous and what are my options after a stuffed dp?
    Also, whats the timing on focus backdashing a crossup? I cant quite seem to get it right :/
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,997
    edited June 2013
    For the combo cr.mk >> fireball>>fadc>>cr.mp>>cr.hp>>hk tatsu which fireball speed should i be using?

I'm pretty sure the recovery data for all version of the fireball are the same (except for ex version which you cant use anyways) so I would assume you would want the HP version based on the fact the projectile travels faster. But it will need to be sort of meaty.

Good luck

Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    edited June 2013
    How did Infiltration dp out of Cammy's unblockable set up at 4:50 and which dp did he use? I thought they took out dp trade ultra in vanilla. Do you guys think Infiltration has a better Ryu than Daigo?

He didn't dp out of it. He blocked the jump lk and then mashed lp dp. Is that her unblockable? He might have just-frame blocked it or the the wiggle trick, I dunno.

They put lp dp, trade, ultra back into the game in AE.
  • ameetnsharmaameetnsharma Joined: Posts: 21
    I'm a noob to SSF4. I'm trying to learn to play Ryu. I'm having trouble with simple combos ending with crouching medium kick. Like crouching light kick into crouching medium kick. or standing light punch into crouching medium kick. Would appreciate any assistance with these. I get the combos very rarely. Is it just a matter of timing? Seems like I'm doing the exact same thing every time, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  • iPirateiPirate Joined: Posts: 11
    In my experience its just a matter of timing. Things are much more difficult in match than they are in training mode but keep at it. Personally, I like to link c.mk from c.lp, c.lp. Timing can be kinda tricky but it allows you to do either fireball if blocked or dropped, or tatsu if it links. I recommend putting the CPU on a difficulty that you would normally find easy to beat and just focus on practicing the combo on a moving target.

I do have a question tho. Is Adon's ex dp impossible to stuff with a crossup mk? I've always either wiffed it or it hits me. I have no problems with normal dps but the increased hitbox of Adon's ex dp makes it different. Any ideas?
  • TimTimTimTim T-T-T-Timmay! Joined: Posts: 1,329
    Where is the ryu safe jump thread or setup thread?
    Just a lazy prick.
    TimTim wrote: »
    There is none someone posted a video of some ryu setups. I have no idea what thread it is in though. Welcome to the Ryu forum the most unorganized character forum in srk!

Land sweep and hold uf...GG!

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,383

Some setups in here:

• ameetnsharmaameetnsharma Joined: Posts: 21
    Any hints for doing solar plexus into crouching fierce? I rarely get this. I've seen Daigo perform this consistently.
    There's not much to it other than practice and plinking the cr.hp. It's a 1-framer so it's hard. cl.mk does the same job but is a 2 frame link and you only really lose stun output and a force stand for the tatsu followup.
    PLINK!
    PSN - TojiSake
  • Laughter 7Laughter 7 Joined: Posts: 564
    Question about basic frame traps: I've just picked up Ryu and my basic close range frame trap is: c.LK, c.LP... and then if I see it's hit I go into: c.HP > tatsu... and if I see it's been blocked I go into c.MK > fireball.

Is that the optimal way to use that frame trap. I feel like there's a better solution than c.MK > fireball.
    edited July 2013
    Ya there is. If you're frame trapping the hard punch, you just hado after as long as you're not too close then that is the block string. If it lands depending on your opponent, if its a char you want in the corner and the easier link, you just opt for tastu. If you're real good, and you have good reactions and need damage, you can opt for hp srk after, but if you mess up the link you will also get punished.

If on block you hp into tastu you will get punished. You wont be able to CR.MK after your hp and then in your recovery from HP you will get punished as well. Other frame traps can just be, instead of sticking out the hp, stick out MP's. If it lands farther away, you can add another MP into sweep (or just sweep right after), if its blocked you can link into another MP and then a hado or if you're close and it lands meaty you can link that into HPxxHP SRK. The last one takes timing but a good Ryu will hit that for max damage output. Otherwise the first two are ideally opting for knockdown/safejump setups. Also, if you're in the corner you can switch this out with an ex tatsu or ex fireball into ultra.

Good luck
    PSN - TojiSake
  • sf2cesf2ce Joined: Posts: 6
  • BizzyBumBizzyBum Joined: Posts: 200
    Komatik wrote: »
    There's not much to it other than practice and plinking the cr.hp. It's a 1-framer so it's hard. cl.mk does the same job but is a 2 frame link and you only really lose stun output and a force stand for the tatsu followup.

Is triple plinking more effective then just a double or it's the same?

• DybbelybDybbelyb Joined: Posts: 45
    This might just be something i have never noticed before now and might just be the dumbest question ever asked here.. but is Ryu's anti air SRK's supposed to do half damage when hitting people mid air? (with lp.srk hitting for a max 70dmg, more dmg than hp.SRK does witch seems to be 60)
    That's why you try to hit them deep. More damage, security from invulnerability frames. Unless you're going for lp srk juggle into Ultra of course.
  • DybbelybDybbelyb Joined: Posts: 45
    yeah well long story short, i bought AE on steam because it was cheap and wanted to see how the PC version was.. and surfice to say playing your way though D->C rank consist of just spamming SRKs while people jump into them.. so never really noticed it before but had a match where i think i hit someone with 15 shoryukens in a row and that just got me wondering.
  • Laughter 7Laughter 7 Joined: Posts: 564
    What's the best way for Ryu to deal with flying Barcelona from Vega? I know some people recommend focus but I've seen some Vega's do a two hit Barcelona before.
  • tdkspardatdksparda Joined: Posts: 128
    Laughter 7 wrote: »
    What's the best way for Ryu to deal with flying Barcelona from Vega? I know some people recommend focus but I've seen some Vega's do a two hit Barcelona before.

I'm not concrete on all/the best options to deal with it due to not having many vega players where i am. So far i've just gotten away with focus and dash into punish for the one hitters. This can be beaten by two hitters or the grab, from what i assume the two hitter requires meter (EX). If i get grabbed or ex'd a few times i just start trying to do quick air to airs to catch them by surprise (eg. j.MP ultra 1). I seem to have gotten by so far with that.
    ^ +1. Most good vegas stay on the ground and poke a lot and stay away from the random stuff.
    PSN - TojiSake