Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• RorschachDMRorschachDM Joined: Posts: 33
    A few quick questions. Sorry if these are repeats, I read through a few pages, but not all of them.

What combo's should I learn first as Ryu? I'm fairly new, so the simpler ones are probably what I want for now.

What're Ryu's BnB combos?

Also, is there a guide to buffering that goes more in=depth than the one in the Newbie forum? OR one that is specifically for Ryu's moves?
    Just starting out. Be nice. <3
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,667
    move, move = link
    move xx move = cancel

1. cr.mk xx fireball
    2. cr.mp, cr.mp, sweep
    3. cr.lp, cr.lp, (stop if blocked) cr.hp xx heavy tatsu

4. cl.hp xx fireball

5. Jump attack, sweep
    6. Jump attack, cr.mp, sweep
    7. Jump attack, cr.hp xx heavy tatsu
    8. f.hp, heavy shoryuken

Pretty much all you need to do decent for a long, long while.
    Steam/Fightcade:Coffeeling
    Xrd: ? | ST: Claw, Ryu, O.Sagat | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
  • RorschachDMRorschachDM Joined: Posts: 33
    Komatik wrote: »
    snip.
    Pretty much all you need to do decent for a long, long while.

Thank you so much! :D

Is there any definitive guide to Ryu specific buffering, or an in-depth guide to buffering in general? All the guides I've found are only examples of what buffering is, but not exactly WHERE it can be used on what characters.
    Just starting out. Be nice. <3
  • unleashdunleashd Joined: Posts: 15
    You can buffer shoruyken while poking with cr.mk and when you see them focus you press punch so that uppercut comes out.
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,997
    Ya... dont buffer SRK. Buffer Hado because if your timing is off then you SHORRRRRRYUKEN and get punished. So that's what I would suggest.
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
  • DragonfallDragonfall Joined: Posts: 214
    I see some Ryus use st.LK in block strings. Why?
    They might be Akuma players? That one im not sure. You can use that in a combo as ken/akuma not sure about ryu. Might be a frame trap, not sure :(
    PSN - TojiSake
  • unleashdunleashd Joined: Posts: 15
    Never seen a Ryu use st.lk in a frame trap - probably to make crouch tech whiff. Miracle why would you buffer hadoken against Focus Attack lol?
  • DragonfallDragonfall Joined: Posts: 214
    st.LK can't be cancelled. I thought it was some kind of OS.
    edited July 2013
    Oh i didnt see that he said to use that against focus attack. My bad! That said, i still dont like to buffer SRK in case it whiffs or you have a juggle reset and get punished. If the guy focus attacks a lot you gotta just stick out MK a few times by themselves, and if he likes to do it you can buffer tastu, which imho i think is safer :P

Thats just me.

And ya, as far as the previous question, I think the person is prob just an akuma/ken player. You can do a close standing lk combo with those two chars and you can use them as a frametrap.
    PSN - TojiSake
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    People will use s.lk to mess with an opponents crouch tech timing. It leaves you at -1, so there's enough time for a crouch tech to start before they get thrown.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • I_Love_SakuraI_Love_Sakura Joined: Posts: 6
    Made a thread in the Newbie subforum but i think I'll have better luck here for my questions:

Ok so my first question is how do I implement combos into games? Like I can do many of Ryu's combos fine in training mode, but I have a hard time using them during a match. I just find myself slowly poking my opponent to death with crouch medium kick and fireballs.

Also I want to know what to do after a knockdown. Like I try to jump in or do something but I always get punished by wake up uppercut. I have found myself just crouching next to my opponent and not touching any buttons. Perhaps a specific example with Ryu on what to do?

Thanks in advanced.
    Train the lead-up. Like, don't train some combo sequence, train jab, jab into it, different jumpins into it. Put the computer on random block and try hitconfirming into the combo. Get the rhythm down with just sound and a sense of rhythm, that way lag won't screw you over as bad.

Apart from that, just play. There's sadly no miracle cure for it.
    MiracleCure - New handle
    PSN - TojiSake
  • OZombiePenguinOOZombiePenguinO Joined: Posts: 70
    What are my options after I land a light tatsu? Or after a sweep?
    Sweep: Hold upforward, press I think j.mk for an easy safe jump. Or just take the spacing you want to, and throw a fireball to force the opponent to block on wakeup.

Light tatsu (heavy IIRC): throw a fireball to nail the opponent in place, light tatsu or light shoryu to build meter.
  • ameetnsharmaameetnsharma Joined: Posts: 21
    Is there any advantage of crouching light kick over crouching light punch in any situations? Crouching light punch links into crouching medium kick. Not seeing any reason to use the cr lk. Hit box seems the same to me.
  • DurangoDurango Mercenary Joined: Posts: 117
    Guile is a HUGE pain. His Sonic Boom zoning is usually just outside the reach of my Rekkas and cr.hp. Jumping in is suicide, dunno what else to do. :(
  • PhangryPhangry Empty Jump -> Ultra Joined: Posts: 42
    edited August 2013
    Is there any advantage of crouching light kick over crouching light punch in any situations? Crouching light punch links into crouching medium kick. Not seeing any reason to use the cr lk. Hit box seems the same to me.

Crouching light kick with Ryu also starts up one frame slower than Ryu's crouching light punch (4 frame startup vs 3 frame starup) and does 10 less damage.

There are several advantages from starting with crouching light kick, though. Firstly, crouching light kick hits low, while crouching jab can be blocked standing.

Crouching light kick also chains directly into crouching jab so you can go crouching light kick, crouching light punch then link into whatever other normal you want.

The other advantage is that whenever you start a combo with crouching light kick if you press both light kick and light punch at the same time it makes it also count as a throw tech.

So, if you walk up to someone and press crouching light kick + crouching light punch if they don't do anything you will get crouching light kick, if they try and throw you will tech it.

So, crouching light kick hitting low, and being able to make it also an OS with trow tech make starting blockstrings and combos with crouching short advantageous over crouching light punch under certain circumstances.
  • ameetnsharmaameetnsharma Joined: Posts: 21
    Phangry wrote: »

Crouching light kick with Ryu also starts up one frame slower than Ryu's crouching light punch (4 frame startup vs 3 frame starup) and does 10 less damage.

There are several advantages from starting with crouching light kick, though. Firstly, crouching light kick hits low, while crouching jab can be blocked standing.

Crouching light kick also chains directly into crouching jab so you can go crouching light kick, crouching light punch then link into whatever other normal you want.

The other advantage is that whenever you start a combo with crouching light kick if you press both light kick and light punch at the same time it makes it also count as a throw tech.

So, if you walk up to someone and press crouching light kick + crouching light punch if they don't do anything you will get crouching light kick, if they try and throw you will tech it.

So, crouching light kick hitting low, and being able to make it also an OS with trow tech make starting blockstrings and combos with crouching short advantageous over crouching light punch under certain circumstances.

thanks!
  • bi_phasebi_phase Joined: Posts: 8
    what's the best technique to get a shoryken out when your guard crouching?

ps: if any of you still have doubts, Yes i'm a Noob.
  • bi_phasebi_phase Joined: Posts: 8
    please what does this acronyms mean?

OS
    low froward

thx

ps:the last one i know its meaning its thank you gentlemen for enduring my ignorance.
    OS is option select. Low forward is crouching medium kick. In this case for ryu, its the one where he pokes his leg out. You usually option select hado off it when in the mid game spacing battle.
    PSN - TojiSake
    jab = light punch
    strong = medium punch
    fierce = heavy punch
    short = light kick
    forward = medium kick
    roundhouse = heavy kick

It's leftover jargon from the old days. Those were the terms used on cabinets or something and they've stuck to this day.
    jab = light punch
    strong = medium punch
    fierce = heavy punch
    short = light kick
    forward = medium kick
    roundhouse = heavy kick

It's leftover jargon from the old days. Those were the terms used on cabinets or something and they've stuck to this day.

There's a reason they stuck...it's easier to say. Less syllables....which matters when you're saying stuff like, c.lp, c.lp, c.lp, s.mp. Say that in your head, and then say, jab, jab, jab, strong.
    Its easier to write the new stuff though!
    PSN - TojiSake
    That's pretty much how the two are used. I type out c.lp...but if I'm talking to someone is say low jab.
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,587
    How do you keep the fight midscreen and advance forward in footsies with SF4 Ryu? Not used to playing a character with no forward moving normals.
    Slow and steady wins the race
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,383
    cr.mk, hadouken and DP.
    Dash. A lot. If you watch high level Ryu play, one thing they all do is forward dash like maniacs because Ryu's walk speed is average and his moveset basically nails him in place. Push the opponent back, dash to claim the space.
    Ya, if you get real good at the FADC its important too. Try getting good at that. Its the same as dashing for the most part except you can take a hit for a split second.
    PSN - TojiSake
  • ShaynetShaynet Joined: Posts: 117
    anybody know where i can find the hit boxes? cant seem to find the v.2012 gifs.
  • delldroiddelldroid Always willing to learn. Joined: Posts: 41
    Yes that FADC will help a ton. I've been getting better at getting that in with combos and helps put the pressure on.
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 836
    So the rumor on eventhubs is that Ryu's cr.mk fireball is now a true blockstring and everyone is crying like it will make him s tier or something. Is it really that huge of a buff?
    That depends entirely on how it's done. Gouken for example has a special version of his palm that is only ever executed on cancels and has better frame data than the normal one. If it's done that way, it's good but not huge. If it's done by giving cr.mk more blockstun, hitstun or both, or by reducing a normal fireball's startup to 12 frames, it will be huge.
  • Mic WittMic Witt Joined: Posts: 600
    That depends entirely on how it's done. Gouken for example has a special version of his palm that is only ever executed on cancels and has better frame data than the normal one. If it's done that way, it's good but not huge. If it's done by giving cr.mk more blockstun, hitstun or both, or by reducing a normal fireball's startup to 12 frames, it will be huge.

You make me curious, what do you mean by Gouken's special palm with special properties if cancelled? You mean the variable travel distance on start up?
    SF4: Gouken, Ryu & Yun
    Ask Eternal, it was in one of his posts that I caught that and don't remember the exact specifics. Just brought it up as an example where they make a specific thing that wouldn't otherwise work work by making a special version of the move that gets used instead of the standard one in those cases.
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 836
    Are cl.st.mp and st.mk useful for anything?
    Cl.mk is good for frame traps and FADC combos. It pushes you forward so you can apply pressure longer, or gets you closer on a FADC combo, so you can do c.mp, c.hp.
    ST.MK generally isnt used too much on ryu when there are many other pokes that are better. On E.Ryu lots of people use it situationally.
    PSN - TojiSake