Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

1161718192022»

Comments

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,786
    Any new combos as a result of the fireball speed difference?

I was trying fst.HP cr.HP lp fireball fadc st.HP dp in the corner. Dunno if its new.I've never been a combo person with Ryu so I never explored this stuff
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 817
    Anyone find anything good with that new kick Omega Ryu got? Seems pretty useless.
  • AntiochliAntiochli I throw blue balls of Fire. Joined: Posts: 148
    SF09ers wrote: »
    Anyone find anything good with that new kick Omega Ryu got? Seems pretty useless.

I was looking at it. I haven't really tried anything with it, but, it hits twice, it's pretty damn fast (seems faster than SPS, cl st. roundhouse), and it looks like it's got fair range. I was just thinking along the lines of focus breaking, didn't even see if it had in comboability.

Lucky for us all, that's not the case.
  • J.D.E.J.D.E. Joined: Posts: 117
    Can anyone explain to me his other okizeme options besides crHK & his throws?
    "Fight you?? No, I wanna kill you!" - Gohan

• FinkledoodooFinkledoodoo Donkey punch is my shoryuken Joined: Posts: 561
    J.D.E. wrote: »

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?
    There is a ton of shit and delayed wake up makes it even deeper...
    Do you know what this is: Down Are Up El Why Be

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

Sorry, I'm still relatively new & still learning things about his game lol. I use his Jumping MK & LK crossup & his Ex Fireball. Still searching for others. Safe jumps as well.

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,262

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

Sorry, I'm still relatively new & still learning things about his game lol. I use his Jumping MK & LK crossup & his Ex Fireball. Still searching for others. Safe jumps as well.
    You use EX fireball on people on their wakeup? How does that work?
    edited December 2014
    Naeras wrote: »

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I am throwing it as they quick tech off the ground. Delay tech as well.

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I am throwing it as they quick tech off the ground. Delay tech as well.
    Why? To me, that sounds like a complete waste of meter unless people just refuse to block it. =/
    Feel free to correct me if I'm overlooking something obvious, though. Wake-up games are not my strong suit.
  • FinkledoodooFinkledoodoo Donkey punch is my shoryuken Joined: Posts: 561

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I'll start you off with this:
    Then I'll tell you to watch this:
    So that you can understand this:

Let me know what you learned and what you need more information on...
    Do you know what this is: Down Are Up El Why Be

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I'll start you off with this:
    Then I'll tell you to watch this:
    So that you can understand this:

Let me know what you learned and what you need more information on...

Alright, thanks man

edited January 2015
    Does Ken's dp have instant recovery when he lands? I don't know if this is an online thing only or whatever but has anyone experienced this? I mean when I block another Ryu's dp or literally every other characters' dp I have a million years to punish but when Ken does a dp and I start to punish he's already blocking or worse he'll just dp again.
    Does Ken's dp have instant recovery when he lands? I don't know if this is an online thing only or whatever but has anyone experienced this? I mean when I block another Ryu's dp or literally every other characters' dp I have a million years to punish but when Ken does a dp and I start to punish he's already blocking or worse he'll just dp again.
    The EX one has really short recovery upon landing, the other ones are not as bad. Online makes it infinitely worse though.
  • ReworkRework Joined: Posts: 89
    The EX one has really short recovery upon landing, the other ones are not as bad. Online makes it infinitely worse though.

Light srk has 8 frames of recovery after landing, ex has 9. it should be easy to punish, even online.

• GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 885
    Is there a "best" meaty attack to do on a knockdown? I just started applying pressure and attempting meaty attacks yesterday (I used to run away and throw a meaty Hado on every knockdown like a puss). What I tried yesterday was cr.MP > cr.MP > cr.HK. I didn't hit anyone, but I didn't get punished either (although I assume I could).
    Inj2: Wonder Woman
    SFV: Cammy
    There are no best meaty attacks, all attacks serve a purpose in some way. cr.lk, cr.lp, and cr.mp let you confirm in more damaging moves. cr.mk lets you go low from far away. cl.hp and cl.hk catch back dashes, various wake up moves, and people who late tech really well. Use various meaty attacks and frame traps to keep them guessing and mess up their teching rhythm. my personal favorite frame trap that seems to work well is: cr.mp, cr.lp, cr.mp. it has a very odd rhythm that many people aren't used too.
  • TheRealHalfBloodPrinceTheRealHalfBloodPrince Joined: Posts: 77
    How do I beat T Hawk? Everytime I try to punish a condor dive it gets stuffed or trades.
    If you feel you can't react to a Condor Dive, you can just block it and punish with a Hadoken. Maybe even a Tatsu (although I doubt it)
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,018
    Hadouken, EX Fireball, walk-up sweep (spacing dependent), Super, and U1 are punishable options for blocked Condor Dive. It should be the least to worry about.
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    Rework wrote: »

Light srk has 8 frames of recovery after landing, ex has 9. it should be easy to punish, even online.

How many frames of recovery does Ryu's dp has? I have zero problem punishing Ryu dps.
    edited February 2015
    LP - 10
    Everything else - 18
    How exactly do you do Ryu's air tatsu so that it goes almost full screen? Not talking about the coward copter btw. I've seen Daigo punish Rose, Ryu and Sagat fireballs by using this tech. I've tried it over and over again in training mode and I can't get it to travel far like Daigo and other high level Ryu players do.
    You have to do the tatsu just as Ryu starts his descent. The light version doesn't work, you have to do the medium or heavy versions. The heavy version does the most damage so you should use it always. If you do it correctly you can hit someone from almost full screen. You can also hit Sagat's outstretched arms as he throws a tiger shot from full screen. It has a deceptively long range. If you do it from full screen it looks as if you have to be at 3/4 screen for it to connect but you only need to take a small step forward from full screen and you're in range already.

It's pretty good for surprising your opponent. Not a lot of people are prepared to anti air Ryu from full screen. Often when they see you jump from far away they try to close the distance not expecting you to reach them and then you hit them by surprise. The problems with it are that it has a hard time hitting crouching, although it CAN hit. It also doesn't do much damage. Also if you don't reach them they can punish you for it or at least apply some pressure. It's certainly great against better zoners like Sim, Sagat, Rose, and Gouken because it puts you right next to them. It also pushes them really far into the corner if you hit them.
  • JamesChappellJamesChappell The Alaskan Bear Joined: Posts: 39
    Is Ryu's f+HP xx Cr.HP 1 frame?
    PSN: MagSensei
    meep
  • ajyou003ajyou003 Joined: Posts: 123
    It is indeed a 1 frame link. Really good damage though if you can get the timing of the link down.
  • VoltySwaydeVoltySwayde Joined: Posts: 10
    What do i do when i'm versus Hugo?
    I'm getting walked to the corner all the time and losing to claps
    Can you punish the claps?
  • tdkspardatdksparda Joined: Posts: 128
    What do i do when i'm versus Hugo?
    I'm getting walked to the corner all the time and losing to claps
    Can you punish the claps?

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ultra_Street_Fighter_IV
    Heres the frame data, no it isn't punishable on block, + on block for all versions
    you can beat the startup or whiff punish it
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,204
    How do I push grapplers out of command throw range when they're right in front of me?
    MP>MP gets me command grabbed every time when they just churn the butter, and the same happens with LK>LP>MP.
    If I dash back I can get green handed, if I jump back I can get ultra 2'ed, if I neutral jump they get the additional option to lariat me and blocking right next to a grappler seems like a bad idea too.

I just feel incredibly uncomfortable against grapplers and feel like my options are so limited if I'm close to them that I'm afraid to go for any pressure. I feel like a fucking mouse getting chased by a cat in a closed room.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    Well you just described Zangief's perfect answers if he knows exactly what you're going to do. Ryu's only chains are light attacks so you can use those to push him away and he can't mash through them. You can also try going for a 1-frame frame traps to catch mashed spds, which are jab, jab (linked) or mp, jab but that's risky since if you mess up then a mashed SPD will punish you. Ideally you should never be next to a grappler since that's the range where they can actually hurt you. You basically just described why you never want to be next to a grappler. Instead, you should use footsies at crouch mk or sweep range and anti air him. On his wake up just make him block a meaty fireball, once he's used to blocking it you can try going for a meaty throw especially against Zangief whose only throw invincible moves are ultra and super.
  • IGintokiIIGintokiI Joined: Posts: 47
    What all do you think is necessary to have learned to stay above 1000pp?
    Footsies and zoning
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • IGintokiIIGintokiI Joined: Posts: 47
    What in your opinion is the best resource on the net for mastering footsies and/or zoning?

^Much of this information applies to SF4. He explains zoning better than anyone IMO.

<- the absolute best tutorial ive seen on footsies so far.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • tdkspardatdksparda Joined: Posts: 128
    i agree watch the last one by juicebox, its the best
    tdksparda wrote: »
    i agree watch the last one by juicebox, its the best

I watched the first few minutes and good god is he annoying.
    BTW light punch dp gives you the most meter gain. I think I asked this before and someone said they were all the same.