Ryu Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

Comments

• otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,652
    I haven't played Ryu since vanilla and in wondering what situations you guys currently use which DP for?

Is fierce still the go to anti air? Do you still try to do it crouching and late or is it irrelevant?

Thanks.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,910
    Mp for anti air HP for a punish combo lp for fadc
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • RG_AliasRG_Alias Joined: Posts: 64
    So is jump in roundhouse cl.hk-fadc-cr.mp-cl.hp/cr.m-srk/tatsu a thing now? or evil red focus instead of after cl.hk and then plexus to add more stun. Not sure what the damage would look like but I think cl.hk is +5 on forward fadc (on hit).
    Usf4: Evil Ryu
    Mk9: Scorpion
    Doa5u: Hyabusa
    Igau: Deathstroke
    TTT2: King/A. King
    T6: King, A. King
    Trying to get into: Smash, Soulcal, Blazblu, and Uniel
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,392
    I heard someone say that c.MK xx hadoken FADC U2 is possible now, but I couldn't get it to combo yesterday. Is there a trick to it, i.e. depends on spacing and/or which fireball is used?
  • AntiochliAntiochli I throw blue balls of Fire. Joined: Posts: 148
    @Naeras‌

I didn't know that there was a time when that wasn't possible.

The only advice I can think of is to ensure you land low forward at a range where Hadoken is certain to combo. Low forward xx Hadoken will not combo at farther ranges, even with that Hadoken speed boost.
    Lucky for us all, that's not the case.
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    edited December 2014
    Naeras wrote: »
    I heard someone say that c.MK xx hadoken FADC U2 is possible now, but I couldn't get it to combo yesterday. Is there a trick to it, i.e. depends on spacing and/or which fireball is used?

It's always been possible. Just requires specific spacing. It can work because if you space it right, your fireball hits them a frame later, giving you 1 more frame to get the ultra to connect. Very difficult from footsies. Most people worked on finding combinations of normals to get into the correct position for different characters. Problem with that, though, is that many of them scaled a lot because you'd be using jabs and stuff. They added a pretty easy one in the corner tho with the cl.hk change. Cl.hk, c.mk xx fireball xx fadc, u2. No scaling problems either. Does 528 damage.

edit: It is a corner only combo, but it works on everyone I've tried.
    Post edited by Dannkk on
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • RoyzogaRoyzoga Joined: Posts: 205
    Considering I don't play Ryu all that much, I wanted to get some other people's opinions. With the new update, 1.04, I've heard a lot of people saying Ryu is actually a lot better now, but uh, is that true...? Is he more feasible now than before, worth playing, etc?
    Royzoga.png
    Royzoga wrote: »
    Considering I don't play Ryu all that much, I wanted to get some other people's opinions. With the new update, 1.04, I've heard a lot of people saying Ryu is actually a lot better now, but uh, is that true...? Is he more feasible now than before, worth playing, etc?

He was never not worth playing. I think for my experience playing Ryu for a while the change in his fireball speed just seems really dramatic. I'm not sure that it really is that dramatic, but it seems like it is. Like when you've been lounging in the jacuzzi for fifteen minutes and then get out and immediately jump in the pool. The pool feels frigid, but it's only because you were acclimated to the relatively hot water of the jacuzzi.

I can't really speak to the close standing roundhouse buff as I'm honestly not that good/experienced of a player. I toyed around with it a bit just to see what I could do. I honestly didn't even realize you couldn't focus/super cancel on the last hit until the change log came out. We'll have to wait and see for smarter players than I to experiment with it and see what possibilities there are.

But back to the last question, is "he worth playing", Ryu is always going to be better if the player is very, very astute and observational. The bottom line, regardless of the version of the game we're discussing, a Ryu player has to play a very fundamental game: they have to capitalize on good reads, they have to make reads, they have to be very cognizant of their spacing and they have to utilize all their tools to cut off opponent options. Which is really no different than any other character, but I don't think that a Ryu player can auto-pilot or lose focus as easily as certain other characters and still manage to consistently come out ahead.
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    The fireballs have helped me a lot. The big thing about the cl.hk buff is that the hurtbox on it is so good that it will just stuff a lot of characters options. Like vs. viper, if you cl.hk on her wakeup, she can thunder knuckle and trade, seismo and get beat by the second hit, or backdash and get hit by the second hit. Now, It used to be +4 on standing opponents. This gave you c.mp, c.hp or dp, but in most situtions, you'd be pushed back so far that you couldn't hit anything but dp or ex dp. Now it's +5 on standing, So where ever you hit them on the screen, you can do c.mk xx hk tatsu.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
  • RoyzogaRoyzoga Joined: Posts: 205
    I dunno about maining or even using Ryu as a secondary, but he's a lot of fun to play. I know a lot of my friends say he's boring because of his pretty simple gameplay, but it's nice to have buttons that are good, a decent fireball, good reversal, and setups for Ultra that don't require dashing from a down back charge.
    Royzoga.png
    Any new combos as a result of the fireball speed difference?

I was trying fst.HP cr.HP lp fireball fadc st.HP dp in the corner. Dunno if its new.I've never been a combo person with Ryu so I never explored this stuff
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 839
    Anyone find anything good with that new kick Omega Ryu got? Seems pretty useless.
    SF09ers wrote: »
    Anyone find anything good with that new kick Omega Ryu got? Seems pretty useless.

I was looking at it. I haven't really tried anything with it, but, it hits twice, it's pretty damn fast (seems faster than SPS, cl st. roundhouse), and it looks like it's got fair range. I was just thinking along the lines of focus breaking, didn't even see if it had in comboability.

• J.D.E.J.D.E. Joined: Posts: 117
    Can anyone explain to me his other okizeme options besides crHK & his throws?
    "Fight you?? No, I wanna kill you!" - Gohan

• FinkledoodooFinkledoodoo Donkey punch is my shoryuken Joined: Posts: 561
    J.D.E. wrote: »

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?
    There is a ton of shit and delayed wake up makes it even deeper...
    Do you know what this is: Down Are Up El Why Be

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

Sorry, I'm still relatively new & still learning things about his game lol. I use his Jumping MK & LK crossup & his Ex Fireball. Still searching for others. Safe jumps as well.

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

Sorry, I'm still relatively new & still learning things about his game lol. I use his Jumping MK & LK crossup & his Ex Fireball. Still searching for others. Safe jumps as well.
    You use EX fireball on people on their wakeup? How does that work?
    edited December 2014

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I am throwing it as they quick tech off the ground. Delay tech as well.

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I am throwing it as they quick tech off the ground. Delay tech as well.
    Why? To me, that sounds like a complete waste of meter unless people just refuse to block it. =/
    Feel free to correct me if I'm overlooking something obvious, though. Wake-up games are not my strong suit.
  • FinkledoodooFinkledoodoo Donkey punch is my shoryuken Joined: Posts: 561

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I'll start you off with this:
    Then I'll tell you to watch this:
    So that you can understand this:

Let me know what you learned and what you need more information on...
    Do you know what this is: Down Are Up El Why Be

Oh wow,
    Are you serious?

I'll start you off with this:
    Then I'll tell you to watch this:
    So that you can understand this:

Let me know what you learned and what you need more information on...

Alright, thanks man

edited January 2015
    Does Ken's dp have instant recovery when he lands? I don't know if this is an online thing only or whatever but has anyone experienced this? I mean when I block another Ryu's dp or literally every other characters' dp I have a million years to punish but when Ken does a dp and I start to punish he's already blocking or worse he'll just dp again.
    Does Ken's dp have instant recovery when he lands? I don't know if this is an online thing only or whatever but has anyone experienced this? I mean when I block another Ryu's dp or literally every other characters' dp I have a million years to punish but when Ken does a dp and I start to punish he's already blocking or worse he'll just dp again.
    The EX one has really short recovery upon landing, the other ones are not as bad. Online makes it infinitely worse though.
  • ReworkRework Joined: Posts: 89
    The EX one has really short recovery upon landing, the other ones are not as bad. Online makes it infinitely worse though.

Light srk has 8 frames of recovery after landing, ex has 9. it should be easy to punish, even online.

• GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 888
    Is there a "best" meaty attack to do on a knockdown? I just started applying pressure and attempting meaty attacks yesterday (I used to run away and throw a meaty Hado on every knockdown like a puss). What I tried yesterday was cr.MP > cr.MP > cr.HK. I didn't hit anyone, but I didn't get punished either (although I assume I could).
    Injustice 2 - Wonder Woman, Joker
    Boring, stale, predictable FGs - Cammy, Kuma, whatever yawn zzzzz
    There are no best meaty attacks, all attacks serve a purpose in some way. cr.lk, cr.lp, and cr.mp let you confirm in more damaging moves. cr.mk lets you go low from far away. cl.hp and cl.hk catch back dashes, various wake up moves, and people who late tech really well. Use various meaty attacks and frame traps to keep them guessing and mess up their teching rhythm. my personal favorite frame trap that seems to work well is: cr.mp, cr.lp, cr.mp. it has a very odd rhythm that many people aren't used too.
  • TheRealHalfBloodPrinceTheRealHalfBloodPrince Joined: Posts: 77
    How do I beat T Hawk? Everytime I try to punish a condor dive it gets stuffed or trades.
    If you feel you can't react to a Condor Dive, you can just block it and punish with a Hadoken. Maybe even a Tatsu (although I doubt it)
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,059
    Hadouken, EX Fireball, walk-up sweep (spacing dependent), Super, and U1 are punishable options for blocked Condor Dive. It should be the least to worry about.
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    Rework wrote: »

Light srk has 8 frames of recovery after landing, ex has 9. it should be easy to punish, even online.

How many frames of recovery does Ryu's dp has? I have zero problem punishing Ryu dps.
    edited February 2015
    LP - 10
    Everything else - 18
    How exactly do you do Ryu's air tatsu so that it goes almost full screen? Not talking about the coward copter btw. I've seen Daigo punish Rose, Ryu and Sagat fireballs by using this tech. I've tried it over and over again in training mode and I can't get it to travel far like Daigo and other high level Ryu players do.
    You have to do the tatsu just as Ryu starts his descent. The light version doesn't work, you have to do the medium or heavy versions. The heavy version does the most damage so you should use it always. If you do it correctly you can hit someone from almost full screen. You can also hit Sagat's outstretched arms as he throws a tiger shot from full screen. It has a deceptively long range. If you do it from full screen it looks as if you have to be at 3/4 screen for it to connect but you only need to take a small step forward from full screen and you're in range already.

It's pretty good for surprising your opponent. Not a lot of people are prepared to anti air Ryu from full screen. Often when they see you jump from far away they try to close the distance not expecting you to reach them and then you hit them by surprise. The problems with it are that it has a hard time hitting crouching, although it CAN hit. It also doesn't do much damage. Also if you don't reach them they can punish you for it or at least apply some pressure. It's certainly great against better zoners like Sim, Sagat, Rose, and Gouken because it puts you right next to them. It also pushes them really far into the corner if you hit them.
  • JamesChappellJamesChappell The Alaskan Bear Joined: Posts: 39
    Is Ryu's f+HP xx Cr.HP 1 frame?
    PSN: MagSensei
    meep
  • ajyou003ajyou003 Joined: Posts: 124
    It is indeed a 1 frame link. Really good damage though if you can get the timing of the link down.
  • VoltySwaydeVoltySwayde Joined: Posts: 10
    What do i do when i'm versus Hugo?
    I'm getting walked to the corner all the time and losing to claps
    Can you punish the claps?
  • tdkspardatdksparda Joined: Posts: 128
    What do i do when i'm versus Hugo?
    I'm getting walked to the corner all the time and losing to claps
    Can you punish the claps?

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ultra_Street_Fighter_IV
    Heres the frame data, no it isn't punishable on block, + on block for all versions
    you can beat the startup or whiff punish it
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,525
    How do I push grapplers out of command throw range when they're right in front of me?
    MP>MP gets me command grabbed every time when they just churn the butter, and the same happens with LK>LP>MP.
    If I dash back I can get green handed, if I jump back I can get ultra 2'ed, if I neutral jump they get the additional option to lariat me and blocking right next to a grappler seems like a bad idea too.

I just feel incredibly uncomfortable against grapplers and feel like my options are so limited if I'm close to them that I'm afraid to go for any pressure. I feel like a fucking mouse getting chased by a cat in a closed room.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    Well you just described Zangief's perfect answers if he knows exactly what you're going to do. Ryu's only chains are light attacks so you can use those to push him away and he can't mash through them. You can also try going for a 1-frame frame traps to catch mashed spds, which are jab, jab (linked) or mp, jab but that's risky since if you mess up then a mashed SPD will punish you. Ideally you should never be next to a grappler since that's the range where they can actually hurt you. You basically just described why you never want to be next to a grappler. Instead, you should use footsies at crouch mk or sweep range and anti air him. On his wake up just make him block a meaty fireball, once he's used to blocking it you can try going for a meaty throw especially against Zangief whose only throw invincible moves are ultra and super.