Gundam Battle Assault 2

SensingDefilerSensingDefiler Joined: Posts: 5
I was just wondering if this game was or can be played in a competitive fashion. If it was not played competitively I would like to know why it was not played. If it was played, why did it die?

Comments

• SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    Any game can be competitive. All you need is those who are interested in the game. GBA2 is a really good solid fighter. I have played this for a while, but I'll have to play again as I erased my game save by mistake.
  • johnnyapathyjohnnyapathy Joined: Posts: 23
    such a great game. give me either HeavyArms or DeathScythe and i'm set. :D
  • LuteLupusLuteLupus Staying salty deep down Joined: Posts: 72
    Oh my god I still got a copy laying around somewhere, just remember to ban Dark Gundam
    Jailed until I can learn a reliable reversal
    SF5 mains:Bison
    XBL:GalioGiligan
  • factory9factory9 ARCANA HEARTO TWEEEE Joined: Posts: 985
    Oh my god I still got a copy laying around somewhere, just remember to ban Dark Gundam

If you've got like a Gameshark or something, you could simply use codes to replace the retarded boss characters with the hidden characters.

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,928
    besides dirt last tier, I thought the top tier dominate majority of the cast.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • DaddyneptuneDaddyneptune Swim Good Joined: Posts: 1,889
    besides dirt last tier, I thought the top tier dominate majority of the cast.

Basically. HA and DS ran the game.
    Situation: I'm gonna massage every part of that body in a hot minute
    Girl: My feet first?
    Situation: I'm about to get that ass first.
  • Amuro0079Amuro0079 Joined: Posts: 1
    Late Commer

I've had a copy of BA2 for several years but never played it seriously-as of late I've become proficient enough at fighters to give this title another go. How would one gain a competitive interest in this title?
  • KabaLKabaL My yomi is better Joined: Posts: 1,073
    Start posting videos of high lvl play, competitions, guides, tier lists, move lists, strats, etc. Thats the basis, from there the people will start noticing this game and saying 'hey, this game has more depth than what I thought!'.
    ~~Where in the world is Opips2 ??~~
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    Start posting videos of high lvl play, competitions, guides, tier lists, move lists, strats, etc. Thats the basis, from there the people will start noticing this game and saying 'hey, this game has more depth than what I thought!'.

If some of you are interested I might do some videos of GBA2 when I get the chance. However, I have a logitech camera that is not to fancy, so image quality might not be the best. I finally have all the characters unlocked, so I can mess around and stuff.

So what are some of the things that make Devil Gundam banned? I'm not too familiar with the character.
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Unblockable laser zoning and no hitstun. Because of no hitstun, all 4 of the large class bosses are unusably powerful since they can mega special on reaction to any noticeable attack.
  • TaigaBellTaigaBell The Dawkness Joined: Posts: 35
    This game actually saw some type of play? LOL I just had fun doing crazy things with gundams.
  • deadstarr7deadstarr7 Joined: Posts: 79
    man i always had fun in this game i liked to play as heavyarms and epyon... if i felt like being a cheaty face (i was pretty young at the time ) id pick hydra =P id definitely be into some high level vids etc... maybe we could even get this up to side even status at decent events =P
  • apple arcadeapple arcade Joined: Posts: 345
    this looks awesome. we need a modern 2d mech fighter
    XBL = APPLE 01 DOJ
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,733
    They need to make a proper sequel for the PS3/360. There is a Gundam game similar to this for the iphone under the name 'Gundam Fighting Spirits'. Shouldve been better...and for better consoles;
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
  • apple arcadeapple arcade Joined: Posts: 345
    that phone game looks dope!
    XBL = APPLE 01 DOJ
    Man, seeing this thread made me want to play it really badly.

I really wish it had a training mode, but VS 2P with dummy works too.
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    aka when battle ass was still good.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
  • J.ScogzJ.Scogz Bye Joined: Posts: 2,378
    So I tried this game, and I don't understand it.

Anything on basics? Should I use my stick, or is pad OK for this game?
    It's been real.
  • ZeromurasameZeromurasame Too much wrist action Joined: Posts: 364
    This game was my favorite fighter of all time until AH3 came along....I remember all those years grinding this game in elementary school ;_;. Heavyarms was bullshit on Street Mode and the Maxter vs Big Zam made me cry!!
    No
  • thephenomenalonethephenomenalone Joined: Posts: 580
    Without a doubt. Me and some of my friends still play high level GBA 2. Gundam has some really good competitive games like Gundam vs Gundam and Endless Duel on the Super NES.
    Vampire Savior: Demitri, Jedah, Aubath, Victor
    SSF4: Guile, Cody, Dee Jay, Sakura,
    AE: Cody, Yang
    CvS 2:N-Groove-Rugal, Nakoruru, Yamazaki, Rock, Sagat, Kim, Iori, Rolento, Eagle
    Super Turbo: Bison, Guile, Dee Jay, Ryu
    Alpha 2: Guy, Rolento, Gen
    KOF 95: Eiji, Takuma, Kyo
    KOF 98: Yashiro/Mature/Kyo
    Marvel vs Capcom 3: FUCK MARVEL 3
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,688
    This game was pretty silly at high level. Lots of chars with crazy ass hit confrims, poke games, resets and lots of nonsense, but fun as hell. Gundam Rose was insane as a rushdown/footsie char.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • manji187manji187 1 down (R.I.P. Amy) 1 to go... Joined: Posts: 95

Hahaha... Agreed. I'm a Master Gundam user :P, and it's difficult to kill dark with him. Even when using Master Cross (i think it's called) into a super. Works well on those super move spammers, been a while since I played, but I still love the fact someone brought it to EVO. 09' though. :P
    Matata. Forget the hakuna part.
  • Half BreedHalf Breed Beast Unleashed Joined: Posts: 141
    Started playing this game again on PS3. Took about 4 hours to clear street with Maxter on hard.
  • HangingSquidHangingSquid RIDAH ZE LIGHTNING Joined: Posts: 301
    This game is prolly one of my fav. ps1 fighters. Its just so underrated. Damn shame Battle Assualt 3 blew.
    I'd like to see another one possibly back to BA2 mechanics. And i wouldn't mind 3D on a 2D plane.
    Sure as hell would beat another goddam Dynasty Warriors Gundam game.
    GT: HangingSquid
    Twitter: @HangingSquid
    I like being lame.
  • ZeromurasameZeromurasame Too much wrist action Joined: Posts: 364
    This game is prolly one of my fav. ps1 fighters. Its just so underrated. Damn shame Battle Assualt 3 blew.
    I'd like to see another one possibly back to BA2 mechanics. And i wouldn't mind 3D on a 2D plane.
    Sure as hell would beat another goddam Dynasty Warriors Gundam game.
    The closest thing we're gonna get is Gundam Extreme Vs for the PS3. And that's probably gonna be an import only title.
    No
  • Drizzt Do'urdenDrizzt Do'urden get to work foo Joined: Posts: 220
    I won a 44 man tournament for this game about 8 years ago haha

top 8 was 5 heavy arms 1 RX78 1 burning (me) and a dark

good times

the game litterally died immediately after the tournament and havnt played it again is there a place to play this online nowadays?
    (EMS) Bama Tournament Organizer
    PSN = Superkobun
    Tron main since 2000 and still going strong
    I won a 44 man tournament for this game about 8 years ago haha

top 8 was 5 heavy arms 1 RX78 1 burning (me) and a dark

good times

the game litterally died immediately after the tournament and havnt played it again is there a place to play this online nowadays?
    Holy shit, it actually had a tournament?

There better have been some fucking footage of that shit. I played the shit out of this game casually way back when.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's some kind of netplay plugin for the PS1 emulators, but I don't know how good they are.
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,087
    i dont see how wing zero and burning gundam cant be the best chars in the game

i was always partial to FAZZ and tallgeese 3 though

im going all in on the new ps3 game though...
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    Anyone here going to be at Seasons Beatings? I have a copy I was thinking of bringing but nothing to play it on. I was half considering grabbing a slim PS2 from a pawn shop.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,688
    i dont see how wing zero and burning gundam cant be the best chars in the game

i was always partial to FAZZ and tallgeese 3 though

im going all in on the new ps3 game though...

They are both high tier and wuts scary is there are maybe 8 or so MS's better then them. This game has quite a few good chars one of the things that made this game awesome imo.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    What characters are usually banned? I'm assuming all the boss row aside from Hydra Gundam.

• Drizzt Do'urdenDrizzt Do'urden get to work foo Joined: Posts: 220
    no footage from that tourney :-( sorry it was in 2003 very little shit was recorded back then

i dunno if the tourney we had should be an archetype since it was really a cvs2/mvc2 tournament with the gundam tourney on the side and with just a bit of forum hype and like 4-5 hours of casuals half of the people who entered this was the first time they had heard of the game

no chars banned and crap loads of heavy arms

finals were me with burning and a heavy arms player

game woudnt have died if heavy arms wasnt deemed "broken" and people just gave up on it because of the one character who didnt even take the tournament
    (EMS) Bama Tournament Organizer
    PSN = Superkobun
    Tron main since 2000 and still going strong
    What characters are usually banned? I'm assuming all the boss row aside from Hydra Gundam.

Yeah, it's mainly the special bosses that are banned. (Dark, Big Zam, Neue Ziel, Psycho)

They're like the giants from TvC except a lot worse because they have no hitstun. You might as well just replace them by overriding their slots with the Gameshark characters.
  • Newtype AndyNewtype Andy CHECK MATE Joined: Posts: 775
    I have been playing this again recently with a buddy, getting back into it. RX-78 is my choice. :)
    GBA2: RX-78
    SFxT: Juri & Law
    USF4: Juri, Gen, Honda
  • THE_KZATHE_KZA ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 961
    This game is awesome. Found my copy and started to play recently. I have my save file uploaded for ps3 on gamefaqs if anyone has trouble unlocking.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    I got a couple people from my local scene to start playing it too haha! Couple Rose Gundam players now and a God (Burning). Rose is a really interesting and dynamic match-up for RX-78! If we do any money matches in the future I'll try to remember to post stream info here. ;)

I've been looking for an alt to dump a lot of time into also, right now it's looking like either Hy-Gogg or Master.

As far as banning characters go, I don't know everything about the game, or all the characters, but here's some of what I *think* I know:

Heavyarms is not broken, in fact, I don't even think he's that good. He can control a lot of match-ups, and I once heard he has perma-block strings (not a big deal when you can dodge/shield out), but I've never seen this myself. Fact is, he has glaring weaknesses. Any character with an I-Field instead of a dodge is a counter-pick, and some without are still a counter-pick. Don't forget you can activate I-Field from block stun. Also, Rose, for example, can throw up a deflector before any bullets would get past it, and from there it's a bit of a toss-up, but if he even gets in once, it's all over. Wing Zero can thrust vertical and qcb+p. All beams in the game cut through any solid state rounds. Master can cloak cancel... He needs nothing else. Bolt has hyper armor. RX-78 and many others have reaction supers. These are just examples. Heavyarms just seems like a fair character who probably destroys people who are new at the game. I really can't see Heavyarms beating ZZ with players of equal skill for example. Seems like a total counter-pick to me.

Deathscythe is certainly scary, and if he gets you into certain situations, I think he can beat most of the cast, but again, I think he has glaring weaknesses. Even with a teleport, he is susceptible to being zoned, and any suit with an I-Field does not need to worry much about unblockables.

Big Zam and Neue Ziel. Big Zam is strictly a liability, I actually think he is low tier. Neue Ziel I'm not sure about, but I never felt threatened by it. I've never fought someone who has committed any real time into it though. Not being able to block is a huge liability, especially when the health bars are shorter, even if there are 5 of them.

Dark and Psycho - bat-shit broken!

Hydra and Epyon I am unsure about. Epyon seems possibly broken with safe hyper armor harassment and his cr.hp keeping people from touching the ground. Some suits probably can't deal with that at all? Hydra seems mostly fair to me, but I just can't say I know enough about him.

The cast seems mostly balanced, but I really think there are bad match-ups in the game. Playing 2-3 characters seems really smart to me.
  • ButterKnifeButterKnife Joined: Posts: 27
    I just started playing this game again yesterday. It sucks that it game out during the forgotten age (Everythting between SF3 and SF4). There's so much potential for silliness between the flight, dodging, and unblockables.

It would be awesome if there were a tournament for this. They could even replace the giant characters with the "hidden characters" to keep the game balanced. I would love to use Quebely against some smart opponents instead of the silly AI.
    If anyone's going to Civil War, I'm going to bring this to play on my laptop (or a Playstation if we really need to)

It'd be cool to get some people to play.
  • BerserkChipBerserkChip Sandrock: qcbHP>dash>LP>LK>HK>qcfHK all day long Joined: Posts: 143
    Gundam Battle Assault 2 is basically my favorite fighter. I've been making guides for it for the past year, and I've been trying to build a bit of a community for it down here in north jersey. It's tough since there's no in-game move-list and no tutorial, not even a real training mode, so it takes a bit more dedication to get good at this game than most.

I main Sandrock, which was my favorite gundam in Gundam Wing back in the toonami days. Sandrock is a really overlooked character and one of the reasons why I love this game. There's still a lot of things left undiscovered and un-highlighted in this game. Sandrock is a fantastic mid-ranged character with a great lunging unblockable, and his shotel throws/tosses are great for locking someone in hit stun while you run at them and combo them.

I sub Wing Zero and I try to go light on the buster rifle since that can get predictable, though that is a fantastic special move, being a double beam special with relatively minor pre/post lag and it OTGs, even after overheating. But that's not his only good move. His shotgun beam works as a shield. I once blocked a heavy arms's qcb-p missiles with it, and while he was in hit stun I hit him with a super. I just wish he had a good way of getting in close besides just dashing or jumping in because he has a cool combo on the ground.

I also sub Maxter and Burning. I just love their command dashes/jumps. I used to hate Maxter when I was little, and thought bandai was being borderline racist for making him so weak. How wrong I was after I learned how to combo with him. And of course burning is basically maxter on sterroids.

Lastly I sub Nu Gundam as well. His funnels are great for bridging combos or getting in for combos with those funnel spikes. Sure he has no special, but he doesn't really need one.

I've also been working with Master, Talgeese III, Altron and a little Dragon. But really the entire cast are just really fun to play.

As for who should be banned, well obviously Dark Gundam. It's a shame too because if it weren't for that hitstun and if the unblockable was a bit slower he'd be a really fun zoning character.

And clearly Psycho III, though I once killed my friend with him by doing his uppercut 3 times, all the while shouting SHORYUKEN!!!

Big Zam and Neue Ziel imo aren't really broken. The only plus either of them have are high damage and on-reaction supers, which were mentioned, but their inability to block, their overall slowness and the fact that most of their moves can be very easily blocked on reaction imo add up to pretty low tier characters. Ziel especially since overheat cancells whatever you were doing and he overheats 4 times instead of 2 and his defense is pretty low. You can cancel most of his attempts to hit you just by getting behind and rushing him.

I think Epyon is fair so long as you downgrade him to 2 or 3. He does have that armored 8 way dash attack, but it's awkward and you still take damage from it, so he can be pretty easily counter-picked.

Hydra, on the other hand, has fast normals, (especially his lows, on of which does really good damage) lots of beam specials and can block all unblockables by blocking, since his block activates an auto I-field that is unbreakable, making him completely invulnerable to projectiles and all unblockables. The only real way to get at him is with cross ups, and there really aren't a lot of overheads in this game. (I think all characters have at least 1 air overhead) His super also does a lot of damage and it's last hit is unblockable. It was the final boss of the last game for a reason, and it's basically the final boss of street mode, really. I've thought about this a while, but I honestly think he should be banned, or at least downgraded to 1 if tournaments ever happened.

I've been making a few guides on my youtube channel, but they're pretty sloppy since it's hard for me to get footage and it always seems that as soon as I'm done making a video, I realize that something I said was wrong, or I end up finding something more interesting after the fact.

Edit: I'm a little reluctant to do this, but here are a few of the video's i've made on GBA2

(one adendum is that shotel toss light is full range, not just mid)

(sorry about the voice, I was trying a thing and it didn't work.)
  • shin kaishin kai Joined: Posts: 70
    I felt the announcer had some great lines in the game. Whenever he says "Checkmate! Glory to the winner" I thought was pretty cool compared to most games that just said "K.O.!"

The only problem I had with the game was it not being fast pace enough. My experience in a Gundam fighting game came from Endless Duel which I loved to death.
  • BerserkChipBerserkChip Sandrock: qcbHP>dash>LP>LK>HK>qcfHK all day long Joined: Posts: 143
    I guess the game is a bit slow in terms of regular movement, since they are giant robots, but at the same time the normal and special attack exchanges can get pretty fast-paced depending on who you pick.

One thing I don't like is how Guarding a normal is usually the end of an approach and due to how far back you're pushed and the post lag that comes from being blocked, making cross-ups hard to exist for some characters, but that just means you have to be creative about how to approach and get a hit in.
    Ah yeah, I remember watching that second video of yours. It's pretty good and I remember commenting on it about RX-78 (my main).

If you think the game is slow, you're mostly right, but I also think you need to fight some Rose players. They can show you the other end of the spectrum hahaha...
  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 183
    I quit playing this game when my Master Gundam was beaten by my friend's Ball.
  • Nagato/Kisame1992Nagato/Kisame1992 Dat "dropped combo" feeling Joined: Posts: 667
    Yeah this game is godlike. I remember getting pissed off at my bro for picking Deathscythe..... fucker was broken until I discovered heavy arms. However, they were beatable. Wing Zero was goddamn Cable of the game and could zone you out well, and Epyon was beast too. Zaku-II S was good along with Tallgeese, Burning Gundam, Master Gundam, and I felt like Rose gundam was a good character too.
    KOF13 characters I play: Kim/Andy/Iori/Ex Iori/Joe/Shen/Ex Kyo/Hwa/Kyo/K/Ralf/Mature and the list goes on.
    I made a new guide for Wing Zero today. I didn't go as in-depth in terms of combos, but I showed the guarding properties some of his special moves has. I especially like how his shotgun can block Heavyarms's missiles. I'll mention it in part two, but the shotgun is more useful for stopping someone from getting near you because of how far spread it goes. I just wish I could work it's close range part into a combo somehow.

anywyay here's the video.

• Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 894
    just ban the top row minus Epyon and it's good. He's got some dumb stuff, but he's not unbeatable by any means.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
    Well, if someone invested time into, say, Neue Ziel, I wouldn't be bothered by it. I really think only Devil and Psycho need to be banned at this point. If anything, I have a more watchful eye on Epyon. :P
    I was toying around with Epyon the other day and yeah I don't know if he's really a fair character sometimes. His whip is just really good for keeping people from getting close, as well as dishing out good damage, and his unblockable is incredibly fast for an unblockable. That's not even getting into his 8 way dash attack thing. I still think he's not as bad as Hydra and his neigh-impenetrable block.

Though I haven't found any particularly long or damaging combos with Epyon that don't involve just cancelling into his super. He does have one where he knocks you into the air and you can whip them a lot for chip damage as they block you, but nothing as good as my wing zero or sandrock combos. I'll look more into him later, since right now I'm working with Heavyarms.

EDIT: I finished a another movelist/guide for heavyarms. Unfortunately I picked a bad stage for recording (lots of stuff happening in the background) so there was a lot of lag and frame dropping so the footage is a bit more choppy than usual, but for the most part it gets the job done.

The two main gripes we had in our circle about Epyon would be his cr.HP whip spam keeping people off of the ground entirely. Some suits don't have too big of a problem being in the air all the time, but some really need ground to fight well. The other is the 8-way hyper armor attack you mentioned. He also has that crazy twd.HP poke. As you said, his unblockables are pretty good too.

Hydra has probably the best defense but I could never get a good feel for going on the offensive with him. Grabs are pretty good in this game and I think that causes problems for him if he stays on the ground, which I feel is really where his best tools are. It's hard to crack him if the player is very patient, but I never really feel especially threatened by him.
  • tuna melttuna melt Joined: Posts: 1
    This was an enjoyable game, mostly because no one character was OP all others. Even Dark and Psycho MKIII can be stomped by the right counter. Counter-picking would ruin any tournament before it started, so every participant(just a suggestion) should pick three gundams they'll fight with. The top row should be banned excepting Epyon. He's a reasonable challenge by those who know how to use him, but is no trouble to those who know how to fight him. Three gundams makes it much more difficult for someone to try and bullshit their way through with Gundam Hammer or a million projectiles from Heavyarms(a great way to waste Epyon, btw).

Unfortunately I'm on the west coast, but ever since my near-rival no longer plays me, I would look forward to being challenged by Rose/Master/Tallgeese III/whatever mobile suit everyone likes to play with. I'm decent with Hygogg/Zeong and vicious with Ball, but my three choices....will wait for their challenge.

btw...how does one get the title screen background seen here? http://spong.com/asset/81178/1/11031729