Gundam Battle Assault 2

Comments

• BerserkChipBerserkChip Sandrock: qcbHP>dash>LP>LK>HK>qcfHK all day long Joined: Posts: 143
    This is the latest video I've made for GBA2 and it's for Tallgeese III. I plan to do all the wing gundam suits with epyon last, and then do all the G gundam gundams, and then just go from there.

to anyone who has this game and is interested in helping, I'm having trouble finding combos for deathscythe and Altron.

Altron is a very slow character but with good normals, but I have trouble really racking up that damage. His super is really only useful for racking extra damage off of a knockdown like his unlisted unblockable.

as for deathscythe, I just suck with him. I know that his crouching HP combos into atomic slash, which causes the opponent to rise up, allowing you to jump/boost at your opponent and do more attacks, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do. It's possible to do another atomic slash if you attack long enough for the first one to go away, but the timing is a bit strict and I can't help but feel there's probably an easier way of racking damage considering he's supposed to be the best freaking character in the game.
  • SaikyoStyleSaikyoStyle Not Sure Joined: Posts: 1,064
    This was one of the first games I got when I started building my collection. though I traded it towards Soul Blade, RE: Directors Cut and Dead or Alive.
    While I had it I really did enjoy it but as I had no one to play it with at the time it's entertainment faded on me, but seeing as there are others who are interested it does make me want it again.
    Move along, Nothing to see here.
  • BerserkChipBerserkChip Sandrock: qcbHP>dash>LP>LK>HK>qcfHK all day long Joined: Posts: 143
    So I got some help with Altron from a guy on Gamefaqs, and his two big combos seem to be these

qcbLK>jLP>jLK>jHK>jqcbHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP

and

LP>dLP>LK>HK>dpHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP alternatively LP>dLP>LK>HP>(kind of)hcbfHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP

but that's really only two and considering how good/weird his moves are I was hoping I could find a bit more than that.
  • Broken LooseBroken Loose Time God Joined: Posts: 262
    I would love to throw down in a side tournament of this at Evo. Especially considering that I'm not alone in playing Rose Gundam (airdash funnel mixups! holy shit!) but I also kind of want to see the response competent players would have to Dragon Gundam's flag blockstun traps. Argh what a fucking good game!

For the record, it had: magic series, proper damage scaling, crazy meter management, high mobility, special cancels, super cancels, unique bursts, comboable throws, mandatory unblockable normals (save for Heavyarms), CvS2 dodges, counterpicks, overheads, and damn good character variety. Shit, nu Gundam is basically O. Sagat put into a Marvel game. There's no nostalgia involved; the game was an objectively good fighter.
    Human souls are weighed down by gravity!
    I would love to throw down in a side tournament of this at Evo. Especially considering that I'm not alone in playing Rose Gundam (airdash funnel mixups! holy shit!) but I also kind of want to see the response competent players would have to Dragon Gundam's flag blockstun traps. Argh what a fucking good game!

For the record, it had: magic series, proper damage scaling, crazy meter management, high mobility, special cancels, super cancels, unique bursts, comboable throws, mandatory unblockable normals (save for Heavyarms), CvS2 dodges, counterpicks, overheads, and damn good character variety. Shit, nu Gundam is basically O. Sagat put into a Marvel game. There's no nostalgia involved; the game was an objectively good fighter.

This post caused manly tears to fall down my face
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,771
    I remember this game. Loved it like crazy. Think I lost it though. No, no, didn't lose it. Yeah, I sold it for like $5 to a friend in elementary school because I needed lunch money or somethin'. Either way. Barely remember it, but I remember it bein' fun.
    So I'm approaching the end of the Wing Gundam characters in terms of making guides for them, so I thought I'd write out my explanation of my opinionated tier list solely for those characters.

I read in one of the tier topics that we can use tiers as a tool to learn more about the characters and that early lists are supposed to be debated, proven wrong and debunked, and I think that's a fantastic sentiment. If I get anything wrong in this list, please tell me because I want to learn as much about this game as possible and I really want people to get into this great game.

Top Tier:
    Deathscythe: unblockables that combo into a special move that can, with the right timing, be comboed to and from more unblockables. His main strategy is rushing and performing his air loop. Of all the tool assisted combos in the combo video on youtube for this game, his is the easiest to replicate. It's pretty amazing how he can just bypass all cross ups and guarding just by being deathscythe. I've never beaten people more easily than I have with death scythe. Also he has an 8 way teleport, and yes, he can do it more than once in the air. Mobility, invulnerability, unblockability, god of death indeed. (edit, upon further stits in the lab, I've noticed the the only unblockable that can truly combo into atomic slash jHP, which is still powerful, but not as much as say if cHP did so, which it doesn't seem to. Because of this, he's not unbeatable, but still slightly a better choice than epyon imo.)

Epyon: fast unblockables and very strong and long ranged normals that can keep opponents off the ground and pressure them constantly. I haven't spent much time with him recently so there may be even more untapped potential in this character, but from what I know right now, he is very very good.

A tier:

Wing Zero: Buster Rifle is an incredible special move. High tracking, good chunk of damage, destroys and eats through all bullets and missiles, and it OTGs so it's a good combo ender. AND it covers a good chunk of the screen since he fires two beams, not just one. And it uses no ammo. Besides that he has great damage potential, plenty of other great specials, including one that blocks all projectiles, etc... He's just all around great.

B tier:

Heavyarms: can practically cover the screen with projectiles just using his normals alone, let alone his powerful missiles and gatling barrel attacks. He's the quintessential keep away character but with incredible damage long range and close range, a lot of which is safe on block. He's B tier because, while possessing similar keep away and damage properties as Wing Zero, in this game Beam weapons kick the shit out of shells. Any competent Wing Zero player should be able to beat a spam-heavy heavyarms.

Sandrock: epic mid-range pressure and even mix-up with heavy shotel toss and throw, reliable normals, decent speed, and a very useful super move. Sandrock doesn't have anything flashy, but the overall utilization of all his tools makes him very powerful. Sandrock is also a fantastic counterpick to heavyarms because light shotel toss is fast, full range, and eats through all of heavyarms' bullets and missiles, as does Earth Slash. In fact he should probably be higher than Heavyarms.

C tier:

Altron: at first glance he seems disappointing because of his super being useless on its own and not a lot of his moves being safe on block, but when you learn his combos and realize how awesome some of his heavier normals are, you can mess with your opponent and deal some serious damage, extending said damage by comboing into your super. His one flaw is that his only full on projectile isn't that great, so long ranged and keep away characters will be a challenge for Altron I think, since Guard tackle doesn't really work well as an approach. (you take no damage during guard tackle, but you get pushed back to square one after being hit)

Tallgeese III: I had a tough time with this character. his combos on the ground are great and he has some great air pokes in LP and LK, but virtually none of his moves are safe on block, and his projectiles, all of which use ammo, use so much ammo that he's essentially a close range only character, and aside from LK (not safe on block) he doesn't really have a way to get in, especially against heavy arms or Wing Zero.

again, that's just counting the wing characters, who are the ones I've spent the most time with this past month and a half. Next I'm going to do guides for the G gundam characters, so when I'm done with that I'll mix them into my overall list. (And again, this is all opinion, I've only gotten a few good PvP matches in since I've started playing this game seriously)
  • Newtype AndyNewtype Andy CHECK MATE Joined: Posts: 775
    I'm not going to argue any points against your Wing tier list, because I more or less completely agree. I do want to add a few notes though. Wing Zero and Deathscythe are capable of staying in the air indefinitely, a priceless strategy for running the clock on a life lead, or in Wing Zero's case, continuing buster rifle shots. WZ might even be top tier. These two suits make Storm's runaway seem manageable.

Pretty much nailed it with Heavyarms. It's also worth noting that attacks such as Wing Zero's advancing wing blocking attack get in for free. I still think most people seem to think Heavyarms is a lot better than it actually is. Middle tier sounds about right to me.

Altron is pretty good. It has a lot of trouble with real zoning techniques though, and really has to pick and choose when to dodge and extend the claw. I think it has potential to win more or less any match-ups (nothing crazy one-sided I can think of), but I feel like someone would have to dedicate themselves to really learn the ins and outs for Altron.

Tallgeese has a few interesting things. I don't think he is necessarily meant to get in. Attacks like the DP+K and QCB+P support this idea. I feel like using the punch version of its ammo is the standard way to go about it unless you really need the penetration. It is probably better off fighting from mid-range. Its QCB+P attack has fast start-up and generally pushes back enough for it to be safe (you shouldn't really use it when in close). Like many suits in this game, Tallgeese has a dive kick that can lead into a combo, though it is unsafe on block, so care must be taken. S.HK seems to be fairly abusable. S.HP is very fast and causes a hard knock down. Both of these normals seem to be unpunishable on block. Its jump LP is amazing also. As far as beam supers go, Tallgeese seems to do less damage (shorter duration), but on the plus side, it also seems to start-up faster than average. DP+P seems to be of limited use on it's own (maybe there is combo potential, I don't really know, but it can be used in the air), and I think cr.HP is a better anti-air. One of its strongest points to me, though, was how fast and ranged his unblockable is. The start-up is absurdly quick!
    GBA2: RX-78
    SFxT: Juri & Law
    USF4: Juri, Gen, Honda
    edited October 2013
    Alright, I've been kinda working on this on the side, so here it goes... RX-78!

gundamrx782.jpg

COMMAND NORMALS (SKILL MOVES)

Trample - (in air) dwn+HK
    Causes hard knock down. Hit box allows for cross-ups. Interestingly quite similar to Doctor Doom's j.S in UMvC3, one of the main differences being that it doesn't travel indefinitely to the ground. After so many active frames, the attack will cease and RX-78 will continue to fall. If you are very high, the attack does eventually recover, and you are able to perform actions again. If you fly past your opponent and perform a Trample, RX-78 will turn around and dive in the opposite direction, back towards the opponent. The other major distinction is that RX-78's Trample is completely safe on block, recovering fast enough for you to perform another action or air block. Any successful Trample will set up a Gundam Hammer, or whatever you please. This attack is obviously very useful.

SPECIAL MOVES (ATTACK COMMANDS)

Beam Rifle - QCF+P
    This is RX-78's ammo special. The LP version fires a single shot that costs 40 ammo points. The HP version fires three shots and costs 120 ammo points. Usable on the ground or from the air, It fires particle beams that consume any of your opponent's solid-state projectiles that get in its path. Each shot does respectable damage. I find myself mostly using the LP version, as the HP version doesn't continue to track well after the first shot, causing misses and wasted ammo. The first shot tracks very well and has a very wide range of possible shot angles. Beam Rifle can be used to end combos, but I feel that there are better ways to finish your combos, and I personally prefer to use LP Beam Rifle for random harassment or to punish solid projectiles. I generally only use the HP version if I need a full screen punish, especially while airborne, but these situations shouldn't come up often. Safe on block.

Shield Uppercut - twd, dwn, twd+P
    I generally avoid using this special. Slow start-up and excessive forward movement keep it from being too effective as anti-air. It does have a few niche uses because it actually has upper body invincibility during its start-up. This allows it to beat out some attacks cleanly (Rose's Kick & Saber for example) if you can react quickly enough. It also has some use in ending combos, but it's not anything I try to integrate into my game plan often. It hits four times, the last hit and only the last hit causes a hard knock down. This special is horribly unsafe if guarded. Not a true dragon punch motion, you actually need to hit the directions I've listed.

Beam Saber (unblockable) - HCB+P
    RX-78's standard unblockable attack. Damage, start-up, range, recovery--it is average in every way. The saber sweeps in a forward arc from above the suit's head, netting up to 3 hits. Can potentially anti-air, as the first active frames are directly above.

Gundam Javelin (unblockable) - (in air) HCB+P
    RX-78 has an aerial unblockable attack, and this would be it. The start-up is about the same as Beam Saber, but Javelin thrusts a javelin (go figure) downwards at a 45 degree angle. The attack does 3 hits, all active hit boxes in the same spot. RX-78 descends very little during the entire special. I find this to be useful for stopping my jump trajectory with an unblockable attack. It's also fun to use to hit knocked down opponents. When timed right, repeated use of this special from high up buys enough time for your thrusters to recharge, allowing you to stay airborne indefinitely. Obviously useful.

Helmet Hit (unblockable) - QCB+P
    RX-78 lifts slightly and comes down and forward with the beam saber in a stabbing fashion, hitting up to 4 times. When it comes to actually hitting the opponent, this is probably the most useful of RX-78's unblockables. The start-up is slightly faster than the standard Beam Saber, and the horizontal range is much better, moving forward about half-screen. This attack is great for meaty pressure, forcing your opponent to dodge/shield. It's also worth noting that the rising start-up of this special can cause some low attacks to whiff under it!

Vulcans - back, twd+P (rapid tap)
    Tapping punch rapidly once executing this special greatly prolongs the attack. Vulcans have very short range, but RX-78 sweeps them up and down to cover a decent area in front of you. I like to use this special to pressure knocked down opponents, doing minor damage while they are downed, and it lasts long enough to force opponents to block and eat the chip on wake-up. Safe on block.

Hammer Punch - HCF+P
    RX-78 swings the Gundam Hammer (not to be confused with the super) straight forward, stopping just short of full-screen status. This special has very niche uses, but I wouldn't call it useless. There are 4 hits, the final hit being quite delayed, occurring while the hammer falls to the ground. Some opponent's with lacking ranged attacks can have difficulty punishing this on block because the delayed final hit. However, some opponents can punish it, even on hit! You really have to learn what this works against, and keep it in your pocket for those times you need a long range punish but you don't want to super (enemy low on current life bar) or use ammo. It's also worth noting that Hammer Punch can block nearly any projectiles or beams during active frames.

Vernier Mode - QCF+thruster
    For RX-78, this is primarily only used to attempt to swat down vertical runaways: Wing Zero, Deathscythe, another RX-78, etc. trying to run the clock with the life lead. Flight Mode is your best means of catching them. It provides armor against attacks as long as they don't have knock down or launcher properties, but you cannot block attacks! During Vernier Mode, it is possible to dodge up to 3 times. Lasts approximately 5 seconds, requires full thruster gauge.

SUPER (MEGA SPECIAL ATTACK)

Gundam Hammer - QCF + any two attack buttons
    Wow! RX-78 swings the Gundam Hammer in a large sweeping arc from above it over to the ground in front of it. This super does only a single hit for massive damage to targets in the danger zone, causing a hard knock down and potentially combos into itself. Invincible start-up, which is actually somewhat uncommon in this game, but the invincibility wears out before it will hit a grounded opponent. There is a minimum range, keeping suits that are too close safe (the chain has no hit box), as well as a maximum range, but the hit box is rather large. Gundam Hammer is easily one of the better supers in the game, and is one of RX-78's strongest aspects. The start-up is incredibly fast. The damage is well above average. It's just awesome! It's very easy to tag onto the end of many different combos. It's fairly easy to use as a reaction punish to many things your opponents may do. As mentioned earlier, you get a free Gundam Hammer opportunity from any successful Trample. Gundam Hammer as anti-air is certainly an option. Even if the damage is set very low through handi-cap, a naked Gundam Hammer will go through an entire health bar on all but the most heavily-armored opponents. An interesting way to use this super is with an option select. Using s.HP or cr.HP, which are both decent poking tools, and buffering Gundam Hammer, you can option select for massive damage! Both versions of HP can only be super-cancelled on hit. On block, you needn't worry about wasting a super. Gundam Hammer is even fast enough to swat opponents trying to get out of their knock down with flight recovery. It's been called cheap a few times.

NOTES

-cr.HK is actually RX-78's overhead, which has rather slow start-up and is unsafe on block, but can be chained into and out of.
    -cr.HP is RX-78's sweep.
    -s.HK launches far on hit.
    -s.LK launches low on hit. Chains into cr.HK.
    -j.LK remains active indefinitely until you land. It starts up fastest of RX-78's air normals. It also affects RX-78's collision boxes, sometimes causing some very ambiguous jump-in situations.
    -j.HK can be used to anti-air, the hit box starts above RX-78's head.

COMBO APPENDIX

1.) cr.LP, s.LK, cr.HK, j.LP, j.HP, Trample, land, Gundam Hammer
    This is RX-78's standard bread and butter combo. While Gundam Hammer is the only way to end it as a true combo, impossible to escape via thruster recovery, there are other follow-up possibilities that can be used if the opponent has too little health for the super to be worthwhile, supers have all been exhausted, or they simply opt to remain in the knock down state. One option is run, cr.LK, cr.HP, after which you have a bit of extra time advantage to do as you please. Another option is run, Vulcans, which is a better option if you basically want to try to force them to block on wake-up. You could also forward jump with Gundam Javelin for some damage and style points, delay slightly for meaty unblockable.

2.) cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.LK, cr.HP xx Gundam Hammer
    This simplified combo into super can be used in place of RX-78's more advanced combos while you're still getting the hang of the character, or in match-ups where combo 1 doesn't connect properly (Hygogg for example). Two jabs will ensure your opponent will never be too close, which can cause Gundam Hammer to whiff. The damage is lower, but not by much!

3.) s.HP/cr.HP xx Gundam Hammer
    A very easy to use option select to turn good poking tools into massive damage! On block, neither version of HP can be super cancelled, so just buffer your super during your poking with HP.

4.) j.LP, j.HP, j.HK
    A simple and effective air-to-air combo for moderate damage. Trample in place of j.HK can sometimes work depending on positioning, but I wouldn't call it reliable.

5.) Gundam Hammer, run, Gundam Hammer, run, Gundam Hammer
    This combo is super effective (yes, that was a pun) for pissing off the other guy. Running in between supers isn't always necessary. I wouldn't recommend using this sequence after any extended combo unless it will win the fight, but by itself, or after s.HP/cr.HP/Trample, it does too much damage. Way too much...

STRENGTHS

-incredible super
    -Trample
    -large move list with a lot of utility
    -capable of permanent air time using Gundam Javelin and thrusters
    -fairly strong pokes
    -versatile and effective from virtually any range or position
    -solid ground game and competent air game
    -particle beam-based ammo attack
    -multiple situational unblockables
    -strong combos and damage
    -no terrible match-ups

WEAKNESSES

-weak high-low game (slow overhead, lackluster low-hitting attacks)
    -weak/unreliable anti-air game
    -difficulty dealing with solid rush down/pressure, no real "get off me" tools.
    -lower armor
    Post edited by Newtype Andy on
    Very awesome! DEFINITELY love the combo that ends with Javelin! I never thought of that.

Anyway, the altron movelist/combo video is finished.

I'm thinking about doing Master Gundam as well. I'm picking Master up, and I think it is a lot stronger than a lot of people think. Thing is, there are no other suits in the game I know quite as well, so I'm almost certain I would be missing some information.
    My hard copy of GBA2 is too scratched up to run properly so I bought a new one today. It shipped, totally can't wait for it to get here. Gonna try and have some more competitive friends over and see if I can get some legit PvP gameplay up of this game. I have a PvP video already but it was from 2 years ago and I wasn't nearly as good as I am now.
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    master is broken as shit. guard cancel super x3 = gg.

basically this games devolves into who hits the other person first 3 times. all of the best characters can deal 1 armor bar from a combo straight or from a stun (so many characters: zaku, hygogg, sazabi, quin mantha, the o (almost) rx-78, GP02, quebeley, god, maxter, rose, master); since your supers are already given to you, many characters are able to do that easily. furthermore there's characters who can hit infinites off of jabs (maxter, rx-78, acguy, etc...) and so they have a much easier time accomplishing that. of course there's some consideration of counterpicking with regards to dealing with projectiles, but it's not so severe.

BUT if all y'all like this game so much, you should emulate/buy Gundam Seed Destiny for the gameboy advance. japan only, but it's definitely the best gundam fighting game. so much fun. great system, varied characters, cool mechanics. I don't really even like SEED, but the game is sweet. someday I'll get around to posting my comprehensive BREAK THE GAME COMPLETELY vids for both GBA2 Gundam Seed Destiny.

cheers :D
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
    master is broken as shit. guard cancel super x3 = gg.

For a bad player, maybe. That's like saying Hakumen's broken because of turtling and Yukikaze.

basically this games devolves into who hits the other person first 3 times. all of the best characters can deal 1 armor bar from a combo straight or from a stun (so many characters: zaku, hygogg, sazabi, quin mantha, the o (almost) rx-78, GP02, quebeley, god, maxter, rose, master); since your supers are already given to you, many characters are able to do that easily. furthermore there's characters who can hit infinites off of jabs (maxter, rx-78, acguy, etc...) and so they have a much easier time accomplishing that. of course there's some consideration of counterpicking with regards to dealing with projectiles, but it's not so severe.

Maxter is the only one I know of with an infinite, which doesn't even work on quite a few characters. (heavyarms, for instance, falls out after 2 hits, unless you hit him from behind) Maxter's able to do this because of his command dash canceling to and from his jab. I don't see how rx-78's jab is capable of this. Acguy, maybe, but rx-78? (edit: just went to the lab, I can't get Acguy's jab to loop like Maxters either.)(EDITEDIT: dumb me I didn't realize the low version of the infinite works on everyone. Still though, approaching is a bitch)

Furthermore, I've yet to see any matches where the game 'devolves' into 1 combo armor breaking/infinites. I'm also almost positive a lot of the armor breaking combos for this game most people know about, i.e. the ones in the combo exhibition video, are tool assisted and most are impossible to do by hand. Epyon's combo comes to mind here. In that same video, I've seen Burning finger combo into heat end, yet try as I might, Burning refuses to do so in my game. He can cancel burning finger into heat end for sure, but you're pushed too far back for it to connect. This, along with a few other examples are enough for me to know that a lot of the high damaging combos in this game are very difficult to do, when they're even possible at all. (this may exclude deathscythe, but even then his armor break combo starts from a rather slow unblockable.) No, better players will more likely resort to the more traditional tactics of a fighting game in lieu of trying to shave off one bar from a jab that can be blocked, countered, punished, etc...

However, much like the statement I'm replying to, this is all speculation for now, and until this game gets some high level matches recorded, that's likely all it'll ever be. And that's why I'm making the guides that I'm making. I want those matches to happen and to be recorded. And if possible, I want to be in one of those matches.

Anyway, I did try the gameboy advanced gundam seed game but I didn't like it very much. Just felt boring to me.
    I'll see if I can't get some match videos someday, but I don't really see those friends much nowadays. We had some pretty insane matches. :)
    basically this games devolves into who hits the other person first 3 times.
    Sounds like modern fighting games too.
    Speaking of Maxter's infinite, I decided to make this video to commemorate the epicosity of that combo. I don't think it's particularly game breaking as it takes quite a bit to get in with Maxter, but it's a pretty epic way to turn the tide.

While it is pretty neato, my stance on it, is that Maxter still really isn't that good. On block, you can't cancel his jabs, just like any other suit, so it's not like you can use it for block pressure or trapping. With so many suits able to do nearly 1 bar of damage if not one bar of damage, the Maxter infinite is just one of the few things it does have going for it. If anything, it makes Maxter more balanced. I liked the video though!
    This thread went from zero to fucking awesome over the course of a single week. Keep it up, guys.

I'd love to see a writeup for nu. I lost my copy of the US version of this game and have to play the Japanese versions with my friend. I don't know if you know this, but the Japanese version is split into a After Colony lineup and a Future Century lineup with the Universal Century suits split up between the games, effectively meaning 2 games with half a roster in each. It means I have to choose between which Amuro suit I get to play depending on version :(

edit:
    I've seen God finger combo into heat end

AS IT GOD DAMN SHOULD
    I used to play Nu as my secondary, but I never bothered to learn real combos with it. Though I don't think Nu has the best combo potential anyways. I am gravitating more towards Master and Hygogg for my alts nowadays. When I played Nu, I mostly relied on fin funnel defense and whatnot. :P If I can figure everything out to where I'm comfortable writing about it, I'd be happy to do so.
    Honestly, nu doesn't need combos as it needs to use funnel mixups to get the opponent to stop blocking long enough to eat massive beam rifle damage. Kind of like how Gundam can poke people into Gundam Hammer without comboing too long for fear of killing damage scaling on the mega special.
    FINALLY got my replacement copy of the game in the mail!

As for Nu Gundam, I do think he's pretty good with those funnels. Indestructible and last I checked they do the most overall damage. They aren't as useful for bridging combos together like Quin, Rose, Sazabi, etc... but it's pretty satisfying taking no damage from buster rifle without even having to hold back. Just an hour ago I was practicing with Nu gundam against my younger brother and was trying to pay attention to the different positions the funnels take depending on where you are and how you stand. They seem to nudge in front of you more if you duck as oppose to when you stand. If you're standing, there's a gap where vulcan shots can hit you, so duck against those. They also take a while to get back to you if you perform a dash. I'll write up more when I get more time with the game.
    Yeah, they are very apt at protecting you from zoning tactics! :D
    edited March 2015
    I wasn't expecting to be ready to do this so soon, but I've been enjoying it a lot and grinding it out. I guess I really miss playing Nu after all! So here is RX-93 Nu Gundam as requested! :D

Mobile.Suit.Gundam.Char%27s.Counterattack.571062.jpg

COMMAND NORMALS (SKILL MOVES)

N/A

SPECIAL MOVES (ATTACK COMMANDS)

Beam Rifle - QCF+P
    This is Nu Gundam's ammo special. The LP version fires a single shot that costs 40 ammo points. The HP version fires three shots and costs 120 ammo points. Usable on the ground or from the air, It fires particle beams that consume any of your opponent's solid-state projectiles that get in its path. Each shot does respectable damage--slightly more damage per beam than RX-78's, and the start-up of Nu's Beam Rifle is also faster than that of RX-78's. I find myself mostly using the LP version, as the HP version doesn't continue to track well after the first shot, causing misses and wasted ammo. However, Nu's cone of possible shot angles is noticeably more limited than RX-78's. LP Beam Rifle harassment is certainly viable for Nu, and the HP version is very good damage to punish from long range. Safe on block.

Jumping Knee - QCF+K
    Nu Gundam jumps up and slightly forward, striking with a rising knee attack. Usable from the ground or while in the air, Jumping Knee has several frames of start-up invincibility and begins fairly quickly, making it a very solid attack to use as a general anti-air, or while being pressured predictably. On hit, Jumping Knee slightly lifts the opponent off of the ground, and the recovery is cancelable while airborne, allowing for follow-up hits. On the downside, Jumping Knee does not cause a knockdown. It is also very unsafe if guarded.

Beam Saber (unblockable) - HCB+P
    A standard unblockable attack. While the start-up and recovery of this attack are average, the saber's length and damage are slightly improved. The saber sweeps in a forward arc from above the suit's head, netting up to 3 hits. Can potentially anti-air, as the first active frames are directly above.

Funnel Dispatch - HCF+P
    Nu Gundam readies three of its signature fin funnels. Funnel Dispatch is usable on the ground or in the air. These funnels are very unique in that they are completely indestructible, and they have the ability to completely deflect any and all projectile attacks they come into contact with! Fin funnels will persist indefinitely until Funnel Attack is used. In addition, they follow Nu Gundam everywhere it goes, with only minor delay, and will even compress their formation while crouching! It is best to use Funnel Dispatch as a cancel after a cr.HP sweep, as a cancel after a j.HP, or from the relative safety of the air. Conditioning your opponent to block a few single Beam Rifle shots can also be a viable way of buying time for Funnel Dispatch. While fin funnels are active, the Beam Rifle special move is no longer possible, and is replaced by Funnel Attack, sharing the same command.

Funnel Attack - QCF+P (while fin funnels are dispatched)
    Previously dispatched fin funnels match your opponent's altitude and fire three horizontal beam shots at them. This can be used while on the ground, or from the air. Fin funnels don't cost ammo, so liberal use of this attack is generally encouraged. Funnel Attack can be executed with either LP or HP to essentially the same effect, but it's important to keep in mind that Nu Gundam will also still attack with the punch associated with the button used if possible. This special move has a lot of uses. Start-up frames, recovery frames, block stun, hit stun, even while knocked down, you can attack with the fin funnels at any time without exception! It has combo potential, it can be used to cover your Beam Saber start-up, and it makes for an excellent harassment tool. Unfortunately, because the beams fired from the fin funnels only travel horizontally, it's not uncommon for a beam (or two!) to miss completely against smaller mobile suits.

Vernier Mode - QCF+thruster
    For Nu, I don't personally see much of any significant use for this. Catching runaways is a task better left to fin funnels, and it doesn't seem to open up any new combo options for Nu. It does provide armor against attacks as long as they don't have knock down or launcher properties, but you cannot block attacks! During Vernier Mode, it is possible to dodge up to 3 times. Lasts approximately 5 seconds, requires full thruster gauge.

SUPER (MEGA SPECIAL ATTACK)

N/A

NOTES

-s.LK is actually a low-hitting attack.
    -s.HK and j.HK launches low on any or all of the three hits.
    -s.HK, cr.HK, and j.HK all deflect projectiles and have no hittable box on the fin funnels.
    -s.HP launches slightly away on hit.
    -cr.HP is a sweep, and is Nu Gundam's only knock down attack.
    -j.LK remains active indefinitely until you land, and it starts up the fastest of Nu's air normals.
    -Nu Gundam's forward run is thruster-improved.
    -s.HK, cr.HK, and j.HK all deflect projectiles and have no hittable box on the fin funnels.

COMBO APPENDIX

1.) s.LK, s.LP, s.HP, s.HK
    This very simple combo starts with a fast, low-hitting attack and is actually Nu's bread and butter combo while fin funnels aren't active. It might be short, but the damage isn't that bad. Omit the s.LK if confirming from your jab pressure.

2.) cr.LP, cr.HP xx Funnel Dispatch
    This sweep combo is not useful for damage, as it really doesn't do any significant amount. It does, however, knock your opponent down, readies your fin funnels and leaves you with a few frames of advantage.

3.) Jumping Knee, j.HP xx Funnel Dispatch
    A combo using a successful Jumping Knee attack to ready your fin funnels. This leaves you at minor frame disadvantage, but the j.HP will swat your opponent quite a distance away from you. Any would-be successful attempts made to attack you can be thwarted one way or another with your new fin funnels. Against medium-sized or larger opponents, you can substitute Funnel Dispatch with j.HK in situations where you already have funnels available or would rather have a little extra free damage.

4.) j.LK, j.HP xx Funnel Dispatch
    A very standard, simple and effective air-to-air combo for moderate damage, also readies your fin funnels. If fin funnels are already active, you can substitute j.LK for Funnel Attack (j.LP), and add a j.HK at the end for significant extra damage.

5.) cr.LP, s.LP, Funnel Attack (s.LP), s.HP, s.HK
    Requires active fin funnels. High damage can be achieved easily with the use of Nu's fin funnels within the basic chain sequence. The s.LP is still an important part of the chain, so you must use the LP button when using Funnel Attack in this combo.

6.) Funnel Attack (s.LP) xx Jumping Knee, j.HP, j.HK
    Requires active fin funnels. This combo doesn't start from a low attack, nor does it serve to hit-confirm for the fin funnels, but the damage output is noticeably higher than that of combo 5. Great for punishment!

STRENGTHS

-fin funnels
    -excellent projectile defense
    -good anti-air
    -very strong pokes
    -effective from virtually any range
    -solid ground game and competent air game
    -particle beam-based ammo attack
    -thrusted run
    -decently damaging combos
    -easy execution
    -no terrible match-ups
    -higher armor

WEAKNESSES

-no super
    -no overhead attack
    -only knock down attack is cr.HP
    -fin funnel dependency
    Post edited by Newtype Andy on
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 882
    So I'm approaching the end of the Wing Gundam characters in terms of making guides for them, so I thought I'd write out my explanation of my opinionated tier list solely for those characters.
    I read in one of the tier topics that we can use tiers as a tool to learn more about the characters and that early lists are supposed to be debated, proven wrong and debunked, and I think that's a fantastic sentiment. If I get anything wrong in this list, please tell me because I want to learn as much about this game as possible and I really want people to get into this great game.
    I think it would be more accurate to make a tier list based on all the mobile suits rather than divide them up based on series. Your listing of Wing Zero and Heavy Arms being lower than Deathscythe is questionable. Wing Zero can bird tackle through anything. Heavy Arms can lock down almost anything with projectiles. I would put those two mobile suits in my top 5 of the game.
    ABACABB.
    I think it would be more accurate to make a tier list based on all the mobile suits rather than divide them up based on series. Your listing of Wing Zero and Heavy Arms being lower than Deathscythe is questionable. Wing Zero can bird tackle through anything. Heavy Arms can lock down almost anything with projectiles. I would put those two mobile suits in my top 5 of the game.

I used only those mobile suits because those are the ones I've spent the most time with, seeing as I've done video guides for them. Once I do more guides and spend more time with other suits, I'll add to that list, and eventually have a complete one, but I really want to take my time with it. The more I spend time with an individual character, the more I learn about it. Before I started these guides, I would have put Tallgeese higher than Altron, and probably Heavyarms above Wing Zero.

Perhaps Wing Zero I can understand, although it's not like you can bird tackle out of block stun, so if you're pinned down by atomic slash there's not much you can do. And going on the offense with bird tackle is a bad idea because of it's post lag vulnerability. You'd have to expect deathscythe's attacks and react accordingly, but who's to say the deathscythe player won't be just as skilled? That's a tough call, but I'd honestly put my money on DeathScythe in that match up.

As for Heavy Arms, Deathscythe has so many tools to get past his projectiles it's almost ridiculous. Atomic slash eating through projectiles and shielding him from them, teleports, unblockable attacks that combo to and from atomic slash, even DeathScythe's most braindead strategy of rushing and doing his air loop has little risk against a Heavyarms playing keep-away.

Heavyarms is a great keep away character with great close and long ranged damage, but shells are a liability against beam using suits in the grand scheme of things, and there's a lot of ways to get around Heavyarms' attacks, especially with DeathScythe.

Edit: sorry I've been so slow with the video guide updates, but I just recently got a new copy of the game to replace the one my brother broke years ago, and I've been re-unlocking everything. Plus work has been a pain in the butt. The next video will be the second part of the Altron guide, and I'll be using a louder mic (hopefully). Seems like the part 2's tend to do a lot worse than my part 1's. Probably because I promote them less.
    Heavy Arms can lock down almost anything with projectiles.
    If you delayed dodge (or at least that's what I call it...), Heavyarms can't totally lock down much of anyone. Bird Tackle, super (Wing Zero), Atomic Slash, teleport, Shotel Slice, Altron's cr.HP.... they all help out a lot against Heavyarms with delayed dodges. That is, dodge-cancelling block stun in such a way that you come out of the dodge sooner than you would have come out of block stun. Wing Zero can indefinitely stay well out of harm's way firing buster rifle shots as well, leaving Heavyarms with very few good options. I don't even know what he'd do about that exactly. Go vernier mode and dodge or tank a couple shots to attempt to clip those wings momentarily?

Heavyarms is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I still think it is a liability sometimes, and very easy to counter-pick. If you venture outside of the Wing suits, anyone with a shield certainly gives it trouble as well. The list goes on. I'm sure he has a hell of a time against ZZ or Master, just for a couple of examples. Mid tier at best.

EDIT: So, all these years until now, despite owning a real copy of the game and having the instruction manual, I never knew about "aerial dodge" where you press up during a dodge and when the dodge ends, the suit gains a bit of altitude. How embarrassing!
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,688
    Deathscythe is #1 when you ban bosses.

Fact.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
    Heavyarms is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but I still think it is a liability sometimes, and very easy to counter-pick. If you venture outside of the Wing suits, anyone with a shield certainly gives it trouble as well. The list goes on. I'm sure he has a hell of a time against ZZ or Master, just for a couple of examples. Mid tier at best.
    If you could provide some examples and/or data as to why you think Heavy Arms would have trouble against Master Gundam I'd love to hear them. I find it very hard to imagine that being a bad match-up for Heavy Arms. The trouble with all these theories and tiers is that there never was a high level tournament scene or any tournament scene for this game so there's no statistical data to back up anyone's opinions. Right now everyone posting in this thread including myself probably spends the majority of the time playing this game against the level 9 CPU and not actual people. Or maybe casually once a week with a small group of friends. If someone could get side tournies for this game going at majors on a regular basis then we would get some match-up data.
    ABACABB.
    Kind of like how Gundam can poke people into Gundam Hammer without comboing too long for fear of killing damage scaling on the mega special.
    You really don't need to worry about damage scaling with RX-78 if you can take out the 1st life bar. If you combo 3 mega specials (Gundam Hammers) it takes out 2 life bars. So you can just use your beam rifle for the 1st bar and then you're one stun away from a KO.
    ABACABB.
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    Does anyone stream this game?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
    If you could provide some examples and/or data as to why you think Heavy Arms would have trouble against Master Gundam I'd love to hear them. I find it very hard to imagine that being a bad match-up for Heavy Arms. The trouble with all these theories and tiers is that there never was a high level tournament scene or any tournament scene for this game so there's no statistical data to back up anyone's opinions. Right now everyone posting in this thread including myself probably spends the majority of the time playing this game against the level 9 CPU and not actual people. Or maybe casually once a week with a small group of friends. If someone could get side tournies for this game going at majors on a regular basis then we would get some match-up data.

While the health bars are still fresh, Master's first goal is going to be a smart Master Cloak (which even blocks and persists through "unblockable" attacks mind you) cancelled into super or a reaction super on its own. Super will take a large chunk of health and give Master enough time to close the gap to about half-screen with the thrusted run. Between cr.HP, Darkness Finger and Tenkyoken, it becomes a real threat to Heavyarms from half-screen or so even without supers. Tenkyokens even eat projectiles. If the cloak is bad, Heavyarms just needs to keep zoning and will probably hit Master as he recovers. If Heavyarms corners itself and has to resort to trying to fly past Master, the ball is in Master's court. Admittedly, Master Cloak needs to be done at the right time, he's vulnerable for a few frames upon exiting, even if it was cancelled. As far as I know, Master has no invincible start-up attacks. More often than most people think, it can be better to just block and dodge. I don't think it's necessarily easy for Master, but I think it has more tools to win the match-up.

As for Deathscythe being #1, maybe, maybe not, but either way totally beatable. It also has a few bad match-ups I bet.

I don't know that this game has ever been streamed, but if I can catch the locals up to speed, I might try to make it happen. A lot of the people I used to play with moved away, so I'd have my work cut out for me trying to get people to play this game in the first place, let alone teach them some things. Our God player is still around though, and one of my buddies is liking Rose...

Playing this game in tournaments, as much as I hate changing settings, I think we'd need to admit that this game wasn't refined quite as well as most mainstream fighters, and I'd honestly propose that the handicap settings all get turned down to 1 to lower everyone's damage output. It really does make the game more interesting, I always thought. That's how we used to play it anyways, and time-outs were fairly seldom. Then again, no one in our group played Wing Zero.
  • Dracula_XDracula_X unblockable Joined: Posts: 893
    so god finger into heat end is beyond stupidly difficult. i've managed it ONCE and failed 300 other times... Maybe if i play on an emulator and slow the game way down it'd help. I love trying tool assisted combos though. Gotta beat the machine.
    Time lost can never be retrieved.
    I'm noticing that different characters actually do take different amounts of damage. I'm sure I'm late to the party with this info, but it's information that isn't really out there. I tested first with God's s.LP, s.HP xx super on a few characters to make sure I wasn't crazy, then I used a more accurate method to find health tiers. Here's what I found:

Boss +
    Big Zam
    Psycho mkIII

Boss
    Devil (Dark)
    Neue Ziel

SS
    GP02A
    FA ZZ

S
    Hydra
    Quin Mantha
    Nu
    Sazabi

A+
    God (Burning)

A (Benchmark)
    Bolt
    Dragon
    Maxter
    Rose
    Master
    Heavyarms
    Sandrock
    Deathscythe Hell
    Altron
    Tallgeese III
    Epyon
    Zeong

B
    RX-78
    Zaku II

C
    Wing Zero
    Char's Zaku II-S
    Hygogg

D
    Acguy

Fail
    Ball

Kind of interesting. I wish I could quantify their health with actual numbers though. Within the tiers, everyone has equal health with a few exceptions. Big Zam has about 14% more health than Psycho. Devil has about 3% more health than Neue. Also interesting to find an advantage to the regular Zaku II, albeit a very small one.

Oh, and something totally random and strange about God/Burning's s.HP: RX-78's beam rifle shot passes through during s.HP's active frames. It only works in that match-up that I'm aware of. s.HP does not have projectile invincibility or anything like that, but for whatever strange reason, RX-78 shots miss. Must be something very weird about the hit boxes or something. Just a weird thing we ran into about 7 months ago.

God combos--anyone know any? I can barely figure anything out for poor Domon...
    Epic health tier! I did notice that a few months ago, but the only one I really took a notice to were FAZZ and Physalis, especially since those mobile suits took a lot longer to shut down with Maxter's infinite than the others. That may actually be a good way to totally tell the difference, just attack all the mobile suits with Maxter's infinite and see how many hits they can take. I can tell you right now Quin Mantha takes 106 hits to do one bar.
    God combos--anyone know any? I can barely figure anything out for poor Domon...

I KNOW RIGHT!? Best one I can do is Dash>LP(x3-5)>HP>HK>Super (I think... it's been a while since I toyed around with God) I know for a fact you can combo standard Goddo Finga with the uppercut version with the right timing and momentum. There's probably some stuff you can do in the air maybe, since I know a lot of his specials are air applicable.
    Heck, cut it down to a single s.LP in that standard super combo and it does more damage! This game scales damage down hard! Tagging on the s.HK before the super helps damage some, but it's match-up specific. I had a few decent ideas, but none of them worked or did good damage. I'm really not a combo scientist by any means though. I wish I knew a way to combo into God Finger in the first place. Or if he could use his command dash like Maxter, but then... well then he'd be too good! One cool thing about God though, compared to Nu, is that he can actually combo off of a j.LK on small or medium-sized opponents, and it's practical. The regular jump always kind of sucks of course, but instantly jumping after starting up a run actually gets decent.

I basically used God's s.LP to find the difference in health and made sure to never see a combo counter so I had no scaling. That's really the abridged version of the story though. I was very thorough, It took awhile. O.O

Another thing that's really weird I noticed the other day is that some normals can be cancelled by some specials, but not other specials. I've only run into this with God and Master so far. Here's an example: With God, cancel cr.HK into God Finger. You can't, but you can cancel it into Tenkyoken. Same goes for j.HK, but what really cooks my noodle about j.HK is you can also cancel that into vulcans, but nothing other than those two specials. My examples with Master involve Tenkyoken or Darkness Finger.
    Alright, so I just got back from Michiana Clash II, in which I didn't compete in any of the games. I did however, get GBA2 casuals going on the largest tv, and I caught as many people up to speed as I could. There was a crowd, there was hype, it was great! We played it for about 8 hours! This game certainly has tournament viability. In fact, the game was getting a lot of attention from many players of modern fighters for a very extended period of time. Some people were picking the game up very quickly once I got them past the basics. By the end of the day, there was a solid Zaku II (either), Dragon, Altron, Heavyarms and Wing Zero, and some of the players I already got started previously, playing Rose and Maxter (yes, the infinite generated hype lol...). The Zaku, Dragon, and Altron players were getting really into it haha! I think next time we throw a tournament together around here I'm gonna do one for this game and do a pot bonus and see what comes out of it. It would be so rad to get people playing it and I'd love to stream it!

So, I've also learned something about the RX-78 bnb. At some point, I changed my standard bnb from cr.LP, s.LK, cr.HK, j.LP, j.HP, Trample and I was recently using cr.LK, cr.HK, j.LP, j.HP, Trample instead. This second one does better damage, has slightly better reach, and it's easier, but I noticed against a couple of these new players that if I catch them when they are not blocking but are crouching, the cr.HK will be too slow or whiff altogether. I don't play against the CPU ever really, and maybe if I did, I would have noticed this sooner. So I think that I'm going to go back to the first version mostly. The second one was great for fighting Burning and Rose players (a good portion of my experience against actual players), who are generally standing a bit more often, but now that I'm fighting a larger variety of match-ups, I'm learning a few new little things like this.

I still think level 1 is the way to play this game. 5 is just crazy once you know how to do damage.
    TELL ME THERE WAS FOOTAGE!!!!

What does lvl 1 do to damage in terms of single attacks like specials? I know combos do less, but I worry if the increased damage scaling gives guys like Wing Zero a bigger advantage due to the nature of his specials, notably the buster rifle. I'll have to do some testing when I FINALLY get some free time.
    Unfortunately, my camera was recently in a river (no joke!) and I am completely without one now. My phone could have recorded I suppose but I hate phone videos with a passion!

On level 1, there is global damage reduction. Everything does less damage, but damage is still plentiful. There were some time-outs, but there were significantly less time-outs once people developed combos. I certainly don't know every suit very well, so I mostly didn't try to tell them combos, but they all came up with some interesting ones.

I do know some Altron stuff, but I let him figure his own out and they were pretty good. Really I just told him the super was only good for miniscule extra damage on ground bounces. Beyond that I let him develop his own strategy, which was pretty hardcore rushdown with very clever dodging. Funny for Altron, I thought. I more or less only told him to use the jumping trident for wake-up pressure to keep people from flying out. On a quick side note, that j.HK is very good.

The Zaku guy was figuring out some pretty awesome stuff I've never really seen or thought of. I was really intrigued because I never gave the Zaku much attention. With Char he would fly over people and when the opponent arrow was right under him, he'd stop his trajectory with aerial cracker grenades, then semi-ambiguous knee drops with j.LK easy to combo off of or just empty drop to low attack. He was learning to use crackers or heat hawk for wake-up pressure.

The Dragon player was abusing the seemingly safe slide pressure, flamethrower combos and block strings. Very aggressive. Difficult to learn to use the super, but he found a few things out. Flags are always good of course. I really don't know much about Dragon either though.

Maxter. Infinite. You know.

I didn't play a whole lot myself, it was interesting to watch, and I know RX-78 supers can be discouraging at first haha... It was a lot of fun.
  • AcidGlowAcidGlow ~Misogi~ Joined: Posts: 407
    I really liked the game. Quite fun with the easy-to-learn combo system and super moves. But for a competative scene, just ban the 4 boss characters. =)
    I really liked the game. Quite fun with the easy-to-learn combo system and super moves. But for a competative scene, just ban the 4 boss characters. =)
    I still think Hydra and Epyon are fine, might have to tier whore though. ;)

EDIT: Errr, if you meant Zam and Ziel, I actually think they're very hard to win with!
  • factory9factory9 ARCANA HEARTO TWEEEE Joined: Posts: 985
    Well the thing about the bosses is that they seem to be a lot like TvC's giants. Both have similar controversy.

I haven't really had enough play experience in a long time, but even though I have personal bias against Dark Gundam I feel like we should wing it out before we decide who to replace with Gameshark characters.
    The gameshark characters would likely be banned just out of convenience. I don't know how you could use gameshark with a PS3 which would likely be the system of choice since it would allow people who would want to use a stick to do so much more easily and the game would probably run best on it. I play on PS3 and emulator, but I've never practiced with the gameshark characters before. Does anyone know how I can get them running on a computer? It seems like there's a lot of code involved, even with doing it with the original gameshark since you have to know which code replaces which character.

and yeah I LOVE the zaku, more notebly the Zaku IIS. Both are definitely mid tier at the least but IIS has got that speed in not only it's dashes (which I think may be a con considering how far back they send you) but his running speed and normal jump distance as well. (which is crazy since jumps are pretty short in this game, since... you know... they're giant robots and all) but those Zaku grenades are just freaking AWESOME. Wake up games, rush assisting, combo bridging, just freaking awesome. Plus his gun, I believe, has the best tracking in the game. I really can't wait to do a video about them.

As for who should be banned. Even if Dark Gundam didn't have his unbelievably cheap unblockable double beam projectile, he'd still have unlimited armored with no traditional hitstun, his zoning moves do too much damage and are a little too fast, strong normals, epic specials, and I believe he has a couple easy infinites as well.

And then there's Psycho. SHORYUKEN SHORYUKEN SHORYUKEN *BSHHHHH* CHECKMATE!!!!

Epyon and Hydra may be more balanced with the game set to 1 instead of 5, Idk. I always figured the game would be played with 5 and then have epyon set to 3 and hydra set to 1 to counterbalance Epyon's fantastically spammable HP moves and Hydra's absolute defense and absolute super. the only friend I have who beats me at this game regularly "mains" hydra, which is why my opinion on hydra has never been particularly very high. I just feel like taking no damage from supers on block and being able to block unblockables is too high of an advantage. Couple that with his stupidly fast and big normals (notably his crLK and crHK, as well as his jabs) and his super which will take a bar if combo'd into, and you have a character that makes my weeks of practice useless. God I hate Hydra. Maybe it's just me though.
    Ah yes, about jumping. I find that cancelling run start-up with forward jump gets pretty good jump arcs actually. Just tap forward twice and jump, don't wait for any running visual queues or anything. It takes some getting used to, but it makes thruster-free jumping an option. I really think the regular forward jump is just a character-specific footsie tool to hop over low attacks when you're already close, because it certainly doesn't close the distance!

It'd be kind of interesting to require certain handicap levels for certain MS, but I don't think many people would follow or approve of being character-specific about it, so a normalized handicap approach seemed like a better idea to me. I think we'd have to at least give Ep and Hy a chance.

I've never fought a good Hydra player, but at a glance the only real deal-breaker for me is blocking unblockables, and if anything, I think Epyon is much scarier. A lot of this might have to do with my character choice though. I can confirm supers and do incredible damage even to Hydra, and for RX-78, it's really not unlike other fights. Against Epyon, I have to deal with hyper armor attacks, better pokes and ruthless pressure... Pretty much all of my weaknesses.
    As I've gotten better with this game, I've noticed that I'm not particularly very good with RX-78, who's usually my counter to Hydra because of his overhead comboing into his special (Gave my hydra maining friend a starfox 64 "WHAT THE HHHHHHECK" moment) but idk I have trouble comboing recently with him for some reason. It's been a while since I brought this game to the TV lounge at my college so maybe I've gotten better. I never really used sandrock against his Hydra because I didn't want to be seen losing with my main, and I wasn't confident enough to go against him with it, but I've gotten A LOT better since then. Sandrock seems to be my go to character when I really want to play to win.
    Finally got around to doing a guide for Deathscythe. This one is probably my favorite so far with the way it came out.

Part two for Altron is also up, if you're interested. I had trouble getting through this one. It was hard to know what to say.

(Probably gonna need headphones for this one)
    Ah, I didn't even know you could cancel Deathscythe's teleport recovery with attacks! Nice video altogether! Once I get Master all sorted out, I think I'm going to pick up Deathscythe next and see what all the fuss is about. =P I also think it'd be really interesting to see how RX-78 handles the match-up.

I like the Altron stuff too. Since this past weekend, it's been looking more and more like Altron might be the next guide I go for.
    The only fight I had any trouble with as Deathscythe was against Hydra because he can block unblockables, and even then all I had to do was just utilize some of Deathscythe's better normals, like his crLP, his qcfHK, etc, and he went down like everyone else. It's exhilarating how quickly Duo can dish out dat damage, and there's not much an opponent can do about it. Avoid atomic slash like the plague for starters, do not get caught in guard stun for too long, and utilize whatever strategy is exclusive to your character to try and outdo deathscythe. Playing keep away is tough because he can phase through projectiles with teleports and break a lot of them with atomic slash.

Hydra and Epyon are probably the quintessential counterpicks. Epyon for his long range pokes and Hydra for his ability to block unblockables. (that thing that deathscythe is so incredibly good at) apart from that, maybe something can be done using Master gundam's command guard, and a lot of the gundams with I fields may have a better time of it, so Quin Mantha, ZZ and Zeong may be of use. Quin's probably the best choice out of the three in that match up. All in all going it over in my head theoretically, I do not see Deathscythe having a bad match up. I'm not saying that like "zomg dethzythz is da best" but I just don't see a relatively consistent counteraction to all the options and power Deathscythe possesses. Really the only achilles heel I can think of is that it takes a good while of practice to 'really' get a handle with his combos and just how he does damage.
    Outside of those, I feel like Rose, Nu, Wing Zero and maybe Bolt could give him consistent trouble. Rose can be just as ruthless as Epyon, and is even better at locking things down. Better mix-ups, more difficult to block... I've thought Rose is quite possibly the best character for a long time now. With Nu I'm mostly just thinking Fin Funnels equate to a lot of damage and everything Deathscythe does he has to commit to because he's more or less slow. Wing Zero can have a lot of control over the match. I don't really know how Deathscythe can get an Atomic Slash on WZ without WZ making a mistake. Bird Tackle is a real threat in this match-up if he tries a random Atomic Slash or unblockable attack, and from there or any other knockdown, WZ just needs to stay above or at least away from DS. Even teleport probably couldn't reliably get past Buster Rifle shots from above. I also think WZ is secret top tier. Bolt is really iffy, but he's another hyper armor powerhouse that Deathscythe must confront up close so...

Master Cloak might help Master once in awhile, but if he gets covered with Atomic Slash, there's nothing Master can really do about it. Cloak has to be used very selectively against good players, because nothing Master can cancel from it has invincible start-up that I'm aware of.

I couldn't argue against Deathscythe being top tier, I definitely think he is there, I just don't think he is the best.

EDIT: Just got back from my long-time buddy's house. This being one of the guys I used to play with all the time back when the game was new. He has a killer God Gundam and dabbles with GP02A quite a bit as well. We played for 4-5 hours or so. We actually played a lot of different MS. I repped Sandrock for ya a bit too, and was winning! I also played some Dragon, Altron, Maxter, God, Master, Nu, Rose, Heavyarms, etc... I feel I am at least competent with many MS. Anyway, GP02A... at first glances, and on paper, he seems pretty low tier to me. He has a LOT of armor though, and if he manages to catch you with his Shield Buster cancelled into j.HK, you're going to eat a ton of damage, even on lvl 1. His normals are very slow but surprisingly good once active, many of which have giant hit boxes. Also, his zoning game isn't as bad as I would think. Sadly, I still think he is low tier, but he is better than I thought. He does put up a fight for sure.

God Gundam jab pressure--I almost forgot how crazy it is. s.HP outright beats RX-78 Trample or cr.HK, and probably many many other things. The hit box is amazing! We also found that s.HP causes GP02A rockets to miss. That makes two projectiles that for whatever reason go right through. Has to be wonky boxes or something... It's no secret that God Gundam is a very strong MS. I think top tier, but it could be argued. s.LP/cr.LP, s.HP, s.HK xx Super works on: GP02A, FAZZ, Ball, Sazabi, Nu, Sandrock, Deathscythe Hell, and Master. Against all other opponents, they will be too high after the s.HK, causing the super to miss initially, breaking the combo. Omit the s.HK and cancel s.HP into super instead against the rest of the cast. It's too bad, too, because the s.HK adds a healthy chunk of damage.

Watch out for Dragon, people don't speak of it much it seems, but I think he is slept on. Definitely very strong...

Sorry, once again, we had no means of recording matches. :( I'm really trying to figure something out though!
  • [$40] Poco[$40] Poco SONIC BOOM Joined: Posts: 54
    Cool as hell that this game is getting some love. It's really a fantastic fighter!

As for me, I main Burning Gundam (if nobody has called it yet, would anyone mind if I did some writeups on Burning?), and play Sandrock and Rose on the side. I'm going to try and get a setup going at the next meetup we have here, and get some people to play it.

Also, I'm playing a money match in this game at ARK V.
    SSF4AE2012: Guile, Fei Long
    GBA 2: Burning Gundam, Gundam Sandrock
    Cool as hell that this game is getting some love. It's really a fantastic fighter!

As for me, I main Burning Gundam (if nobody has called it yet, would anyone mind if I did some writeups on Burning?), and play Sandrock and Rose on the side. I'm going to try and get a setup going at the next meetup we have here, and get some people to play it.

Also, I'm playing a money match in this game at ARK V.
    By all means, if you are feeling the idea of writing stuff about God/Burning, go for it. I'm likely to still do something for it as well anyways, but surely collective knowledge would yield some pretty solid stuff. :)

Which character will you be putting Burning up against in the money match?

Are you guys about ready for some controversial tier lists? I have mine ready.