STL Garbage VIII: Garbage 3.0 - DON'T SHAKE MY HAND!!

Comments

• Psych0Sh0tPsych0Sh0t CAW CAW CAW Joined: Posts: 1,856
    GGs to everybody I played at FnF and the RR.

@Rex - We didn't get to play ST like I wanted, but we'll do it next time. Also, you still got my DS that I let you borrow?

@Gamertag - Fun casuals and thanks for the ride. :D My gamertag is OHGODBEEEEEES

@Lex - Mind PMing me some of your midscreen Phoenix combos?

@Gllty - Dormammu is broken.

@Everybody else - GGs
    Zombie/Dark Knight/Foot Dive
  • glltygllty hypermagic Joined: Posts: 753
    @gllty: I think I'm getting the hang of playing against your Makoto ("think" being the word).
    Yes, exactly this!! You sure did get 4 in a row on me!! Money match? :lovin: I'm scared now!

Rex: like, okay. There's a lot of things to go over. First off, I accept Sent is my weakest link and it's kind of w/e to me because I can do things with Dorm and Doom. Second off, for whatever it's worth in a conversation I had with Jwong a bit ago he seemed to think the team was legit and I didnt really need to change it up. Idk what that's worth, but it's at least someone with more knowledge than myself seeming(?) to give support. The third and last talking point is pretty simple.... Why change teams a month before my two strong characters are getting buffed? I'm dropping sent for somebody(Vergil? Iron Man? Viper? She-hulk? Ryu? Firebrand? Frank?) and I have characters in the lab phase that arent ready to compete so it's not like im disregarding your advice but i havent really found something new im totally sold on yet. Waiting for Ultimate because the game is being changed drastically to favor my playstyle and they're hurting a lot of the characters that are counterpicks for me before I shake things up. In the meantime, im practicing new characters on my own time. I would be interested in hearing a response to a couple of my points if you dont think it'd be a waste of effort since I am stubborn.
    we spiral down; no-one can save you now
  • Rex0rRex0r Do smart stuff Joined: Posts: 2,731
    Well when did you talk to Justin? WAAAAAY back at that one tourney when his boy Noel was still using and winning with that team? Thats my only response to your points though- i'm just giving you advice. I think that at this late stage the team severely handicaps you and what you can do. I think another thing about it is you have gotten complacent doing things over and over that beat people (hell even evil rahsaan lol) and stopped really trying to advance your game, maybe it has more to do with that than team choice. I'm just so over confident in Marvel that i'm trying to help you guys who used to push me step up another level again and start pushing me to improve more. Like when i play JJJ he always has new shit and is doing smart stuff- not auto pilot stuff like everyone else, he's the only one pushing me anymore because everyone else is either stagnant or are just catching up. Your other points are all valid for sure so i can dig it. It was more of a compliment than anything else, when i thought about trying to use your team still in this day and age of marvel i couldn't even imagine it. Can't wait for Ultimate and whichever characters i find that fit me will be beast..... count on that :D. I'll still play my team too, i'm not too worried about nerfs. Sent is getting buffed and i can't wait for that shit.
  • GamertagGamertag Upstanding Member Joined: Posts: 92
    GGs to everyone last night. I'm excited to be here, there is some high level play going on, and I can see that playing with you guys is going to make me a lot better. I have felt welcomed too, so definitely thanks for that.

@Psych0: No problem! I'll add you on xbox live. My connection isn't the great because it's shared and wi-fi (laggy), Marvel is frustrating to play but worth a shot, and SF4 works pretty well.

@Rex: Thanks for the tips man, I think I am going to take the Ammy movement with Task assist into the lab. I was even thinking about switching to the angled arrows to try to relegate whoever I am playing against to staying on the ground, or being forced to block in the air. Would that be viable? On the other hand, Task H. arrows assist does stuff other assists pretty well...
    Hmmmmm it's a thought. I think it could be useful in some matchups but Ammy controls the air herself pretty well right? Seems to me controlling the space in front should be the priority. The stuffing other assists thing is huge like we talked about, that's how i try to control matches vs players using assists to approach, knock an opponents assist out and they lose half of their attack. Was good meeting you btw, = or > most when starting off so i hope to see some good stuff from you soon once you get more used to playing higher level opponents.
  • glltygllty hypermagic Joined: Posts: 753
    Well when did you talk to Justin? WAAAAAY back at that one tourney when his boy Noel was still using and winning with that team? Thats my only response to your points though- i'm just giving you advice. I think that at this late stage the team severely handicaps you and what you can do. I think another thing about it is you have gotten complacent doing things over and over that beat people (hell even evil rahsaan lol) and stopped really trying to advance your game, maybe it has more to do with that than team choice. I'm just so over confident in Marvel that i'm trying to help you guys who used to push me step up another level again and start pushing me to improve more. Like when i play JJJ he always has new shit and is doing smart stuff- not auto pilot stuff like everyone else, he's the only one pushing me anymore because everyone else is either stagnant or are just catching up. Your other points are all valid for sure so i can dig it. It was more of a compliment than anything else, when i thought about trying to use your team still in this day and age of marvel i couldn't even imagine it. Can't wait for Ultimate and whichever characters i find that fit me will be beast..... count on that :D. I'll still play my team too, i'm not too worried about nerfs. Sent is getting buffed and i can't wait for that shit.
    UFGT7 but yeah. I do have new technology with Dorm tho. Doom.. i feel like the ceiling is higher than i take advantage of.
    we spiral down; no-one can save you now
  • playerplayer Jounin Joined: Posts: 1,613

wow, seems like i missed a good FnF, but i did make prior arrangements that i couldnt break........at least i was able to get the chairs and metting up with my friends fashionably late as justin said to me before leaving, LOL.

scrubz - wow. full screen tatsu now? dp whiffs not good enough? you try to hard to play pro that you arent even leveling up. i feel like you dont even listen to what people tell you and you just try to imitate daigo without even knowing why those moves/set ups/etc is even good.

gllty - ill just talk to you in person or FB.

tahldon - my pick of potential (as he already knows, lol). ill tell you this, your defense is piss poor(but not scrubz level), but your offense makes up for it. as you admitted before, you play online since you cant play offline as much as you like, and because of that, lag will favor a strong offense so it seems you havent worked on defense at all cuz you really never had to. our games we played, once you got knocked down, you were pretty fucked. anywho, ill need to play you more than 10 matches to get a full idea of you as a player.

rex - those are DAMN GOOD write ups.
    -=#STL OGs#=-
    rex, jjj, aks216, player, aka, kth, kurasa, slips, PJ
    -=#STL Vets#=-
    luger, scamp, mr. k, gllty, peaceful
    "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell." - Harry Truman
  • KriaserKriaser Keir Tendril Joined: Posts: 364
    4 Hours of sleep after leaving FnF and then a short attendance at a bachelor party and now I'm off to work here...

Don't drink and go to work, kids. This will probably be a fun day for me in the end.

GGs all around at FnF, sorry to Rex for being kind of sloppy as I started hitting my 20 hours of being awake and couldn't execute for shit. Next time, I'll not be so sloppy. Or half drunk while typing this.

GGs to others, I can't think right now. Must go to work...
  • Omicron AustinOmicron Austin Downright Fierce Joined: Posts: 358
    Austin- idk like your combos and triangle jumps are pretty on point but i see you losing consistently. Maybe it's just needing more exposure but with that magneto DHC death combo i'd expect better results. Keep grinding your combos were looking good but work on your mix up game on incoming characters, your blocking, and xfactor usage. Don't use so many shockwaves- i know that was my trademark but your burning through your meter way too fast. You gotta do em smart and against certain matchups/strategies (i.e. a dive kicking wolverine, a wall grabbing spencer, a dive kicking doom, etc.)

Rex: The thing about combos is that you being THAT much better than me really cripples them. I go in EXPECTING things not to hit, so my hit confirms are all messed up, and when I do hit, it's an "OH MAN, I FINALLY HIT!" moment and I mess it up. I avoid doing the corner hypergrav loop because I know if I do I'll mess it up. That probably hurts me quite a bit, I suppose; I still get the kill with the DHC trick, but not the extra meter or two beforehand to make the next kill turn into a gravity squeeze. And the shockwaves? I generally use those when I whiff a disruptor, but yes, I see your point there. As for the mixup on incoming characters, it's like I said, I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. Like when I call drones, you block them before you even hit the ground, ruining the high/low, or you just escape with ease if I delay the drones, and I have no idea what to change about it. I'll need to watch some of your old videos and emulate it. Lastly: I still don't feel all that comfortable with either Magneto or Dante. My Magneto movement, I can FEEL it being predictable, but it's far too ingrained into habit to airdash specific ways, flight in specific spots, and the mess up my airdashes so that accidental hypergravs come out, etc. My Dante just sucks, straight up. Never land full combos, predictable neutral game. To be honest, I'm mostly playing him to force myself to try to solve these problems. It was weird, though; playing you I messed up a lot of Dante things I never usually screw up. I think it was your pushblocking, actually, either throwing off timing or making things whiff without me noticing. Either way...I'll keep working on it. It's hard to stay on top of practice with school and things, and I don't get all that much high level opponents in Columbia. I keep trying to get some games in with Allen, but something always comes up...

Gllty: I say this every time, but I REALLY REALLY need to play you more. From my perspective, you're twice as good as Rex, because when I play you, I have NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON. I think if I figure some of it out, I'll still be losing, but it won't be nearly as fast. What Rex said you said, "people don't know how to fight against me out here," that feels very true in my case. If you played any combination of Magneto, Dante, or Wolverine, I'd be a lot more comfortable against you.

Lex: Still better than me. Idunnowhattodolol. Too many resets.

Chris: I should have played you in Marvel more. Like I said, 1) The 3 matches I played against you were my first 3 matches in the past 3 weeks and 2) I don't have any experience against Phoenix, and I need some more. Maybe. I think it's just I need to work on my incoming mixup, like Rex said. I snapped you in well enough plenty of times.

Beezi: Damn, feels like we played for hours. It was fun exercising some of my old/troll teams against you, and likewise you against me. Feels like we're about on the same level.

Scrubz: Ryu mirror matches always make me realize how really, really bad I am at Street Fighter. God damn. Work on that Makoto. Or don't, and keep using Ryu. You know, whatever.

Kelson: As always a lot of fun to play you. It feels like you're juuust above my level, which is a great way to practice in my case. X-23 isn't as foreign to me anymore, but you're still extremely solid and your Akuma scares the hell out of me. 3 to 2? I'll take it.

JJJ: It's not a complete FnF without being gang raped by the team in pink. :eek: Maybe next time.

Everybody else: Didn't play many more matches outside of the RR so I don't have many comments, but gg to all.
  • Pe4CeFu1Pe4CeFu1 Joined: Posts: 411
    gg to everyones lsat night

@austin wish we had a chance to play some matches i wanna see how your ryus comming along

@GIlty ur makoto seems to be leveling up nicely i can tell from just watching ur getting ur shit down better and better

@tahldon what everyone else has said and good shit figuring out that new tech against me

@Rex those footies man... it was fun playing ryu vs rose against you thx for all the tips and im telling u theres no hope for someone with down syndrome

@gamertag psycho kelson thanks for coming out sorry i didnt get a chance to play you

@lex why why didnt u take first... anyways good shit at the Round Robin we need to sit down and play some AE soon.
    Throwing Sonic Booms all day
  • beezibopbeezibop Sougenmu--> ??? --> Profit Joined: Posts: 458
    GGs yesterday!

Rex: One thing I need to work on is converting hit confirms into full combos. Just like when I get hit by drones, you do a miniloop that ends up raping at least a quarter of my health. Teleports with Dante assist is a source of damage that I can't finish all the way. For combo enders I go the easy route, Only doing buster to lightning to dive... Should do the harder version which has two lightnings before the dive. Another thing to start changing is using xfactor for zero when it's necessary. While I feel comfortable with doom sitting on lvl3 xfactor, I shouldn't be even be at that point with this team, since if I am, I haven't crippled you enough with zero and Dante.

Austin- good games as always. Always nice to play some serious and then bust out our tertiary teams haha.

Tahldon- good guy. I was so salty when you started doing those spin kicks. At least I know to look out for it now.
    Justin- yo i like how strongly you defended that ryu's c.mk wasn't gaining range :P. Here is the exact quote from the blog lol.

"Due to this, the overall movement and REACH of the attack are the same as they were in SSFIV."
    @Rex the reach of the attack didnt change from super and ae. test it yourself by switching modes
  • KikuichimonjiKikuichimonji Watch out, I know frame data Joined: Posts: 4,585
    @Rex the reach of the attack didnt change from super and ae. test it yourself by switching modes
    Yes it did. Because on Chun f.hp cr.mp cr.mp cr.mk xx tatsu doesn't work anymore.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Maj's Footsies Handbook - It's like the Bible, but for Street Fighter.
  • Psych0Sh0tPsych0Sh0t CAW CAW CAW Joined: Posts: 1,856

Why does this guy not work for Capcom?
    Zombie/Dark Knight/Foot Dive
  • Koga316Koga316 YO MARVEL!!! Joined: Posts: 731

Its back to normal. And trust me...in AE...the range did change. Getting out poked by Ken is some ol bullshit
    "Evil ryu is better cause it gets me laid. When girls see me play akuma they are like "lol wtf is this nerd doing" but as soon as I pull out e.ryu and I start the one frame into stuns - waterfalls" - Gekks_
  • TahldonTahldon Of Unwavering Fealty Joined: Posts: 218
    Man, I had extra free time on my hands so I went to watch Wednesday's stream over. Good Lord did Scrubz get thrashed in the chat and on Stream! I didn't know it was that bad! lol MAN!

I didn't know the man got ousted from the stream. Lol I almost felt kinda bad.

Glen: You hit the nail on the head, actually (not that I expected otherwise), but yeah, that's primarily why I have a glass defense. I'd actually like some tips, if you've the time, on how to even bolster a defense at all. I'm pretty terrible at knowing other people's throw ranges and stuff like that. Hell, even Giefs cross me up pretty good and that's without doing the bear run! I'll work at it though.

Til then, think I'll study some hitboxes.
    I fight for something greater than myself.
  • ScrubzScrubz Joined: Posts: 42
    Yah Tahldon, they ripped me a new one. Let's hope I'll get more this Wed. They are making me better. :P
    Defense is all about knowing what your opponent is thinking/doing. And when you don't know what your opponent's thinking, do the thing that's least likely to lose the game for you.

Basically you have to know the matchup and what to watch out for. If something is retarded and punishable, shut it down. For example, if your opponent runs at you with Guy, DP him with Ryu :)

Knowing how to throw tech, how to counterjab, when to reversal, when to stand tech, when to backdash, when to focus, when to just fucking block, etcetera. It takes a lot of time.
    Domination 101 by Seth Killian - The original blueprint for competitive fighting game thought.

Tahldon my advice would be to work on your mid-range game. Feels like if your not in you just sit full screen and try to approach in corny ways like full screen runs or full screen command jumps. These things become better the closer you are to the opponent or when mixed up a bit. Again like in marvel this approach to the game may let you beat most of the players in St Louis but will never allow you to truly grow your game beyond that and take it to the next level.

Justin- damn man your persistent in your wrongness at least :P
    tahldon - mr k is wrong. knowing what your opponent is thinking/doing is just some form of yomi then countering it. rex's advice is mostly focusing on proper spacing.

answer this: where does guy control the flow of the match the most? the answer is where you wanna be more than half the time.

its kinda sad to see that most people dont know what defense is. people think its something more than it really is. its something really simple which then branches out to more options of defending (throw teching, option selecting, etc). tahldon, you are tooo busy wanting to do something and that is also your downfall.

i do agree with rex that you should work on mid game range which means spacing, whiff punishing, footsies in general needs to be on point.

im tired............again.
    -=#STL OGs#=-
    -=#STL Vets#=-
    "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell." - Harry Truman
    how many people would be interestedin a mini hookup at my place 2morrow *monday*?
  • Her0 of Tim3Her0 of Tim3 Kono shobu moratta! Joined: Posts: 986
    Yo STL! I will possibly be moving westerer to you guys. I have 3 other hopefuls who will be learning fighting games when I do touch base there. What's the scene like. I'm an ass Akuma in AE (got fourth at the tourney on sat ... i would have won if i just beat Jibbo). And I'm relearning how to play 3S all over again. Hope to see you guys in the future.

tho... it probably won't be until next winter.
    CFN: Mikaul SFV: Ryu/Juri KI: Sadira/Jago
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 511
    Where are these hookups anyway? I can't seem to find a search thread function to go through 100+ pages to find the addresses.
    Hero of time- Next winter or this winter?

Hyper Inferno- random different times at a few different peoples houses but then the every week hookups are Wednesday night at a bar on watson road in the South County area which hosts tournaments sometimes and laid back casual sessions other times with lots of drinking :) . The other is Friday night at Peaceful's house off Bennington road which alternates between a AE and MVC3 round robin tournament each week while also having lots of casuals. Both hit double digits each night easily now and have become the cornerstones of the fighting game scene here. We used to have monthlies run by Kurasa but idk if they are still going on- is there another AR scheduled Jeff? I'm sure Peaceful and Voracious Ways can post up more info on their respective game nights cuz i don't know the addresses >_<.
    Hyper Inferno hookups for friday night are always posted with the address but for reference its 12473 glengate dr 63043 i live in the maryland heights area

ALSO TONIGHT IM HAVING A HOOKUP starts at 7 ends at 2 (i got class 2morrow so ima have to kick u guys out)

address 12473 glengate dr 63043 same deal as FnF Bring those setups im not expect everyone to show up with such short notice but i figured with mom being out of town and the tourney at dannos this weds anyone whos really serious, would want to get a last min grind session in. So here we are show up and u guys all know the drill
    Where are these hookups anyway? I can't seem to find a search thread function to go through 100+ pages to find the addresses.

Voracious: Remember what we talked about the other day? Lol This guy's post is why. Let me do it!

All Wednesday night Hookups are at Danno's American Pub (7895 Watson Rd., Marlborough, MO 63129) and usually start at 8PM (for casuals) and 6PM-ish (for tourneys).

Friday Night Fights is at Peaceful's house. I don't know his address off the top of my head. But those usually start around... 7PM or 9:30 depending on what he's doing. He'll always let us know when he can't do FnF, so don't always expect to pop over on Fridays because he may not be hosting an event lol. And don't ever knock on the front door. It's a trap.

Glen: You and Rex pretty much have me all figured out lol. I'll work that spacing and footsies more as you guys've recommended. I was watching the stream yesterday and kept noticing that I was, as Glen said, always trying to do something. I'm gonna re-watch those fights you had against Scrubz and Peaceful and see what else I can learn.

Rex: You're right, that's usually always my fullscreen plan. That goes back around to what Lex and I were talking about when he was saying I play too respectfully. I'm just really afraid of getting sucker-punched by rush moves (ei: Blanka ball, Honda Headbutt, Scissor Kicks, Boxer Buffalo punch/Turn punch, Dee Jay spin kicks, Makoto Hayate, Banishing Flat, etc.) so I'm always trying to watch out for those and get in before one of those can get out. Lol that's why I keep doing corny things to try to get over there fast. Unfortunately, as you've siad, those are an amateur way to approach. I know that cr. MP can beat some of those, but not every time. Lol to be honest, I don't want Rog in my face. It's like fighting a hitbox the size of Gief's LP grab box.

But thanks for the help, fellas.

Gllty if you're doing your thing this week, let me know.

Edit: Damn Peaceful. I wanna come, but I don't get off til 7 and my girl and I go out to eat on Monday nights. >.< I'll try to pop out there late. I'll get flak for it, but I'll deal. Might be around...10-ish or so.
    tahldon - mr k is wrong. knowing what your opponent is thinking/doing is just some form of yomi then countering it.
    That was only the first part of my post. The rest of it talks about knowing matchups and your options, and learning which of your options counter the widest range of options from your opponent.

Guy has a 3 frame cr.lk and a very good reversal, which makes his defensive potential pretty good.

I agree that Tahldon likes doing things too often when the opponent is on offense. gllty has the same problem, although maybe she's just trying to learn what she can get away with. Being patient and blocking is a lot of what makes up good defense in SF4. My post was focused on other defensive options but that doesn't mean I wasn't talking about defense.

Being patient and blocking is a lot of what makes up good defense in SF4.

mr k - it looks like you DID know. honestly, i think you should have started off with this, no?

tahldon - the way you are gonna have to work on footsies and such is gonna have to be offline. like i said before, you can get away with murder online.
    -=#STL OGs#=-
    -=#STL Vets#=-
  • humbaghumbag Team IFD Joined: Posts: 7,403
    whats goin on in stl this week

REXXXXXXXXXXXXX i need mvc3 practice
  • BarSoapBarSoap I Hate Med School Joined: Posts: 292
    Just letting you guys know I'm still alive! :sweat:
  • JJJJJJ Joined: Posts: 2,176
    hulkbag never shows up here anymore... he just likes to talk with mars ppl..:coffee:
    whats goin on in stl this week

REXXXXXXXXXXXXX i need mvc3 practice

Tournament this Wednesday but it's at a bar so idk if you'd like it ;). You'd be able to get lots of matches with me and JJJ for sure. If you come to down i'd be able to make time for lots of mahval practice.... i need it too >_<.

tahldon - the way you are gonna have to work on footsies and such is gonna have to be offline. like i said before, you can get away with murder online.

Oh yeah, I heard you, man. I'm all over it. I'll try to make whatever hookups are available if I'm around and have the time.

I'll be at Peaceful's tonight.
    yo anyone wanna head to KC this week with me i got 3 spots in my car 20 bucks round trip
  • ScrubzScrubz Joined: Posts: 42
    Yah me too man, lol I need all the hookups I can get. I don't wanna suck too much @ KC.

:P
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 511
    Alright cool, thanks for letting me know! I'm going to try and work out a transportation plan so I can get some games in!
  • John ColeJohn Cole JonB the Legend aka Jonny Custom Joined: Posts: 122
    Okay with my new schedule i get off work around 6 now so Wednesday i would like to get some AE games in before tourney. Who will be there early?
  • JJJJJJ Joined: Posts: 2,176
    yooo ps4, did you download all da modded costumes for da ladiez in ae?? I tried da maid and da sexy fire one... I think I am in looove..:lol: