The Good But Mostly Bad Police Thread

Comments

• WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,172
    edited September 2016
    Video released shows officers shooting 6-year-old - http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/us/louisiana-body-cam-shooting/index.html

The kid died. Officers and Marshals were acting like they were in a movie. What a bunch of dumb fucks.
    A Louisiana judge released body cam video Wednesday showing officers firing multiple rounds into a car, unknowingly striking and killing a 6-year-old boy.

The incident, which happened in September 2015, resulted in the indictments of two marshals on second degree murder and second degree attempted murder charges.

The marshals began pursuing the car after they witnessed an argument between a man and his girlfriend in front of a local bar, a source told CNN. Officers moved to detain the man, identified as Christopher Few, who took off in his car.

The pursuit ended in gunfire on a dead-end street in Marksville, Louisiana.

Graphic video

The Superintendent of the Louisiana State Police called the video "the most disturbing thing I've seen." It comes from a body camera worn by a separate officer, and shows back-up arriving, shots being fired, and the moment deputies realized they had killed a child.

151109202914-jeremy-mardis-super-169.jpg

The footage, which is very graphic in parts, shows a confused scene in which several officers discuss the situation and how best to proceed. An officer appears to say, "I don't know who all fired," to which another officer seems to respond, "I fired."

The suspect, who is behind the wheel of a small white car, is hit but not killed. He presents his hands to the officers and eventually, slowly, crawls out of the car to lie on the asphalt.

The officer wearing the body cam calls dispatch to ask about another officer's arrival time. He's asked about suspect injuries, to which he replies, "severely critical."

Two officers can be heard discussing what to do next. One says, "You want me to call state police?"

The other responds, "No listen. Get all these people away. And block this off over here," gesturing to the road.

'I never saw a kid in the car'

A discussion about the suspect's condition ensues, and an officer says, "I never saw a kid in the car, bro." The officer wearing the camera says, "Yeah he's ahh...the kid is..." but doesn't finish his sentence.

The officer who is wearing the camera eventually walks around to the passenger side of the vehicle, windows have been shattered. He shines his flashlight onto the child's inert body, which is in the front passenger seat, and speaks to him before checking his pulse. An officer can be heard vomiting off-camera.

He later unbuckles the child's seatbelt, exclaiming "oh my God," before walking away.

Later on the video, an EMT pronounces the child, first-grader Jeremy Mardis, dead. He was hit by five bullets in the head and chest, according to CNN affiliate WAFB.

Jeremy's first-grade teacher told CNN he was autistic and did not communicate verbally.

Jeremy died, and his father survived.

Officers face trial

Two Marksville, Louisiana, marshals were indicted on murder charges by a grand jury in December, and are awaiting separate murder trials later this year.

They were identified as Derrick Stafford, 32, and Norris Greenhouse, 23.

151107001311-louisiana-police-mug-shot-super-169.jpg

Greenhouse knew Few before the deadly encounter, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN. Investigators are looking into the extent of their relationship.

Defense attorney Alex Higgins, who represented Greenhouse when he was indicted, but told CNN affiliate KALB at the time that the case lacks sufficient evidence and that the indictment in no way proves guilt.

The video was released as part of an evidentiary hearing Wednesday, according to CNN affiliate KATC.

Stafford's trial is set for November, and Greenhouse's set for March.
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
    edited September 2016
    Man killed by officer pointed vaping device, not gun - http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/us/california-police-shooting/index.html

Non-compliance and what looked like a gun being pointed at officers will likely be used again as justification for the use of deadly force. Alfred Olango's sister called officers to help her brother but not kill him. Olango, who was distraught over the loss of a friend, was a refugee. The officer who killed Olango is a 21-year veteran of the police department.
    El Cajon, California (CNN)For a second night, protesters gathered Wednesday in El Cajon, California, holding signs and demanding accountability following the police shooting of an unarmed black man.

Alfred Olango, 38, pulled a vaping device from his pocket and pointed it at police Tuesday before one officer fatally shot him and another discharged a Taser, El Cajon police said.

His death set off demonstrations in the San Diego suburb as activists demanded that authorities release video of the shooting. They also want a federal probe into Olango's death.

Some protesters threw water bottles at police while others gathered in the street and parking lot where the shooting happened. Many held signs saying "Black Lives Matter" as police wearing helmets and holding shields looked on.

'They don't feel heard'

Police have released little information except for a still photograph showing Olango in what authorities described as a "shooting stance," facing off with the two officers in a parking lot.

By Wednesday evening, police identified the object as a vaping device. The identity of one officer was revealed as Richard Gonsalves, a 21-year veteran of the force.

In a news conference, Mayor Bill Wells did not identify the second officer, except to say he was also a 21-year veteran.

Wells said he understood the frustration of demonstrators, who blocked a freeway exit Wednesday.

The protests were "angry and loud" but peaceful, he said.

"It's their First Amendment right," he said. "I understand that they don't feel heard. I understand that they're wanting more information."

Wells said he had seen the video and it pained him, but he called for patience as the investigation runs its course.

"I saw a man who was distraught, a man who was acting in ways that looked like he was in great pain, and I saw him get gunned down and killed and it broke my heart," he said. "If it was my son, I would be devastated."

Not acting like himself

On Tuesday afternoon, El Cajon police responded to a 911 call reporting a man in his 30s was behaving "erratically" behind a restaurant, Lt. Rob Ransweiler said.

According to the call, the man was "not acting like himself" and had been walking in traffic, endangering himself and motorists, police Chief Jeff Davis said.

The woman calling 911 claimed to be the man's sister and told the dispatcher he was mentally ill and unarmed, Davis said. Investigators have not been able to confirm whether the caller was the man's sister, he said.

Olango's mother, Pamela Benge, later said he was not mentally ill. He was mourning the loss of a friend, she said.

"He wasn't mentally ill, never," she said. "He was going through a mental breakdown. He lost someone dearly ... mental breakdown was not easy to control, he needed someone to calm him down."

Davis said they have tried to talk to the woman who made the 911 call.

"We tried to get her to talk to us. As you can understand, she was upset. She was not cooperating with us," the chief said, asking the woman to come forward to speak with investigators.

Officers did not respond to the first 911 call for 50 minutes because "it did take us that long to clear officers to get out there," Davis said.

Once they arrived, Olango kept his hands concealed in his pockets while pacing back and forth, police said. As a second officer prepared a Taser, the man "rapidly drew an object" and placed both hands on it "like you would be holding a firearm," Davis said.

One officer fired his gun at Olango, while a second officer discharged his Taser, he said. Both are on three-day administrative leave.

The El Cajon Police Department's homicide unit will investigate the shooting, and the district attorney's office will review it, Davis said. Asked if he should consult an outside agency to investigate the fatal shooting, the police chief said, "I trust my investigators. I trust the system. I trust the protocol, the district attorney's office and the FBI."

No trust in prosecutors to investigate police

Such assurances have done little to allay the community's concerns.

The Rev. Shane Harris, president of the San Diego chapter of the National Action Network, called the decision to release a still photo "cowardly." Harris, who said he had spoken to Olango's family, was one of several speakers addressing reporters in front of the El Cajon Police Department.

"We do not trust local prosecutors to investigate local police," he said, explaining the family's desire for a federal investigation.

Harris questioned how police could release such a seemingly damning photo while purporting to pursue all the facts and refusing to release video from witnesses and a nearby restaurant.

"We don't want to see a still picture of him pointing something that is not gun," said Bishop Cornelius Bowser of the Charity Apostolic Church. "The best way to move forward right now is through transparency."

Citing a countywide protocol pertaining to officer-involved shootings, Davis said Tuesday he was merely following guidelines in not making the video public. His department released the photo to counter "disinformation," he said.

What we know, and what we don't

"This (video) is considered evidence, and until it is deemed otherwise, it will be under the control of the district attorney's office," he said.

'They killed my brother'

In the aftermath of the shooting and Olango's death, Rumbie Mubaiwa began filming the scene on Facebook Live.

In the video, a distraught woman says she called 911 to get help for the man she says was her brother. She describes him as "sick."

A police officer interviews a witness, and two others put up yellow police tape. Officers can be seen congregating in the background as the sister sits on a rock wailing.

"You guys killed my brother in front of me," she cries as Mubaiwa records the scene. "Why couldn't you guys Tase him? Why? Why? Why? Why?"

Police have not confirmed whether the woman in the Facebook Live footage was Olango's sister.

Christopher Rice-Wilson, director of civic engagement for Alliance San Diego, told reporters Wednesday that family members requested privacy while they grieve and would make statements at some point.

Edit:

http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/9/28/13089526/alfred-olango-san-diego-police-video
    Police said that Olango, a 30-year-old black man, ignored orders to take his hands out of his pockets. He then pulled an object from his pocket, aiming it at officers while taking what El Cajon Police Chief Jeff Davis described as a "shooting stance": "At one point, the male rapidly drew an object from his front pants pocket, placed both hands together on it, and extended it rapidly towards the officer, taking what appeared to be a shooting stance, putting the object in the officer’s face."

Here's a shot of Olango pointing his vaping device at officers:

El_20Cajon_20police_20shooting.0.jpg

#damn

• WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,404
    This family says "He wasn't mentally ill".

Keith Scott's family says "he was mentally ill".

I don't trust the families, due to their emotion, nor the cops due to their incompetence.

"Why couldn't you taze him?" - They did. They also happened to shoot him.

He supposedly lost someone dear to him? Suffering a mental breakdown?

Sounds like a perfect reason for someone to suicide by cop.

Is there footage of the actual incident, or are we only going to judge based on the aftermath, like so often happens?
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    edited September 2016
    Wasted wrote: »
    This family says "He wasn't mentally ill".

Keith Scott's family says "he was mentally ill".

I don't trust the families, due to their emotion, nor the cops due to their incompetence.

"Why couldn't you taze him?" - They did. They also happened to shoot him.

He supposedly lost someone dear to him? Suffering a mental breakdown?

Sounds like a perfect reason for someone to suicide by cop.

Is there footage of the actual incident, or are we only going to judge based on the aftermath, like so often happens?

Can the families use "mentally ill" in court if he wasn't diagnosed by a doctor as being mentally ill?

There's footage of the entire incident but the police department only released that screenshot to the media and general public.
    Pretty sure you need an expert witness or official diagnosis to use a mental health defense in court.

I'm just tired of seeing people get killed by cops and people portraying the dead as innocent, only to have the facts surface and the dead actually be a complete scumbag or actual criminal.

The cops are trigger happy, but the dead aren't always just sitting around doing nothing wrong.

Honestly, if you're going to release one screenshot, I can't imagine there being a better one than what was shown.

Who knows though, maybe his hands were back down at the time the cops shot.

It all relies on the unreleased footage.

• XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,332
    edited September 2016
    Wil wrote: »
    Video released shows officers shooting 6-year-old - http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/us/louisiana-body-cam-shooting/index.html

The kid died. Officers and Marshals were acting like they were in a movie. What a bunch of dumb fucks.
    A Louisiana judge released body cam video Wednesday showing officers firing multiple rounds into a car, unknowingly striking and killing a 6-year-old boy.

The incident, which happened in September 2015, resulted in the indictments of two marshals on second degree murder and second degree attempted murder charges.

The marshals began pursuing the car after they witnessed an argument between a man and his girlfriend in front of a local bar, a source told CNN. Officers moved to detain the man, identified as Christopher Few, who took off in his car.

The pursuit ended in gunfire on a dead-end street in Marksville, Louisiana.

Graphic video

The Superintendent of the Louisiana State Police called the video "the most disturbing thing I've seen." It comes from a body camera worn by a separate officer, and shows back-up arriving, shots being fired, and the moment deputies realized they had killed a child.

151109202914-jeremy-mardis-super-169.jpg

The footage, which is very graphic in parts, shows a confused scene in which several officers discuss the situation and how best to proceed. An officer appears to say, "I don't know who all fired," to which another officer seems to respond, "I fired."

The suspect, who is behind the wheel of a small white car, is hit but not killed. He presents his hands to the officers and eventually, slowly, crawls out of the car to lie on the asphalt.

The officer wearing the body cam calls dispatch to ask about another officer's arrival time. He's asked about suspect injuries, to which he replies, "severely critical."

Two officers can be heard discussing what to do next. One says, "You want me to call state police?"

The other responds, "No listen. Get all these people away. And block this off over here," gesturing to the road.

'I never saw a kid in the car'

A discussion about the suspect's condition ensues, and an officer says, "I never saw a kid in the car, bro." The officer wearing the camera says, "Yeah he's ahh...the kid is..." but doesn't finish his sentence.

The officer who is wearing the camera eventually walks around to the passenger side of the vehicle, windows have been shattered. He shines his flashlight onto the child's inert body, which is in the front passenger seat, and speaks to him before checking his pulse. An officer can be heard vomiting off-camera.

He later unbuckles the child's seatbelt, exclaiming "oh my God," before walking away.

Later on the video, an EMT pronounces the child, first-grader Jeremy Mardis, dead. He was hit by five bullets in the head and chest, according to CNN affiliate WAFB.

Jeremy's first-grade teacher told CNN he was autistic and did not communicate verbally.

Jeremy died, and his father survived.

Officers face trial

Two Marksville, Louisiana, marshals were indicted on murder charges by a grand jury in December, and are awaiting separate murder trials later this year.

They were identified as Derrick Stafford, 32, and Norris Greenhouse, 23.

151107001311-louisiana-police-mug-shot-super-169.jpg

Greenhouse knew Few before the deadly encounter, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN. Investigators are looking into the extent of their relationship.

Defense attorney Alex Higgins, who represented Greenhouse when he was indicted, but told CNN affiliate KALB at the time that the case lacks sufficient evidence and that the indictment in no way proves guilt.

The video was released as part of an evidentiary hearing Wednesday, according to CNN affiliate KATC.

Stafford's trial is set for November, and Greenhouse's set for March.

By the pictures of the victims and cops, seems like opposite day.
    edited October 2016
    At around 11:55 of the video, the female police officer decides to redirect the camera way from the whole incident.

At 15:15 of the video the female officer said to the victim "be an adult."

The officers weren't being adults.

They basically treated the victim like an animal and hog tied him all the way to the police station.
  • odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Defense lawyer Jeanne Liddy on Wednesday quoted the videos in an unsuccessful attempt to get her client’s indictment for heroin distribution dismissed.

“He was yelling and making very strong threats of physical violence,” Liddy told Hampden Superior Court Judge Tina S. Page. “Threatening to ‘crush his skull in the parking lot’ and ‘plant a kilo of cocaine in his pocket to put him away for 15 years.'”

To drive his point home, Bigda tells one suspect that he could pin the Kennedy assassination on him “and make it stick.”

“I’m not hampered by the truth because I don’t give a f—,” Bigda reportedly screams on video, which allegedly also includes sneering racial remarks leveled at the suspects.

“You probably don’t even know who your f—ing father is,” he barks at one.

http://wamc.org/post/police-detective-who-threatened-kill-teens-and-plant-drug-evidence-suspended-not-fired
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    Video from 2014 only released now shows Ohio man face crack the windshield on a police cruiser while he was being arrested. Pele Smith claims cops used excessive force back in the incident that was captured on the car's dash cam. Local reports say the officers claim they saw Smith swallow a bag of what could have been drugs. They also claim he resisted arrest.
  • StockyJamStockyJam i like mischief Joined: Posts: 5,869
    http://www.spreadit.org/2016/10/13/blue-lives-matter-ben-and-jerrys-other-companies-should_n_26788.html

cops protest Ben & Jerry over their "Black Lives Matter" flavor.

goodnight.

Shaquille-ONeal-Cant-Stop-Laughing-As-He-Watches-Funny-Online-Videos.gif
  • MechWarriorMechWarrior Joined: Posts: 5,718
    Thin-skinned bastards, the lot of them.
    XBL: MechWarriorNY
  • Riot GuardRiot Guard Old School Joined: Posts: 3,907
    Video from 2014 only released now shows Ohio man face crack the windshield on a police cruiser while he was being arrested. Pele Smith claims cops used excessive force back in the incident that was captured on the car's dash cam. Local reports say the officers claim they saw Smith swallow a bag of what could have been drugs. They also claim he resisted arrest.

That is incredible that there can be clear evidence of a cop assaulting someone and they have to think about investigating. There is nothing to investigate, throw the cops in jail.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • SF2GuileXSF2GuileX BOXQ2 Joined: Posts: 663
    edited October 2016
    NYPD Shoots 66 yr old Naked Lady w/bat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3850220/New-York-police-sergeant-shoots-dead-66-year-old-mentally-ill-woman-brandishing-scissors-baseball-bat-naked.html
    A New York police sergeant shot and killed a 66-year-old naked woman who was brandishing scissors and a baseball bat in the Bronx, according to witnesses.The shooting saw the woman, named as Deborah Danner, struck in the torso during the incident at the Castle Hill section of the Bronx just after 6pm on Tuesday. After putting down the scissors, the female subject approached the sergeant and grabbed a baseball bat,' said NYPD assistant chief Larry Nikunen. 'As she attempted to strike the sergeant, he fired two shots from his service revolver, striking her in the torso,' he said.

This elderly woman was known to the police department, yet the officer involved in this shooting failed to use discretion to either talk her down from her episode or, barring that, to use his stun gun. That is totally unacceptable.'

• GravityGravity Joined: Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2016
    Clearly he had to shoot. Who knows what type of weapon she was keeping in that dark hole between her legs...

Baseball bats are lethal weapons. Force plus one.

• ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 17,573
    Gravity wrote: »
    Clearly he had to shoot. Who knows what type of weapon she was keeping in that dark hole between her legs...

I wanted to find that image of some Asian movie where a woman sucks in a guy through a cooch vortex to use as a response to this.

Couldn't find it.
    Twitchy | Twatter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,332
    edited October 2016
    A Chicago police officer who is hospitalized after she was severely beaten said she was afraid to use her gun because of the scrutiny she would have faced, Supt. Eddie Johnson said. "She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news,"

http://abc7chicago.com/1543015/

I wanna ROFL, but recent events have confirmed that the communities only riot when criminals got shot, so her logic checks out.

But the guy, despite being high on PCP so the tasers had 0 effect on him and also being way bigger than her, was unarmed. Plus she had 2 other cops standing close by during the arrest, so when she was tackled to the ground, she can't see where the other cops are and firing her weapon might hit them as well. Which brings to the question why the other officers just kind of hanging around and watching her get pummeled instead of helping her get the man off of her.
    Post edited by Xvideos on
    edited October 2016
    Wil wrote: »
    Milwaukee riots erupt after police shooting of Sylville Smith - http://www.vox.com/2016/8/14/12472896/milwaukee-wisconsin-riots-police-shooting

BLM activists said it's another example of "racial inequities" in the criminal justice system.

The suspect who was shot and killed was black. The officer who shot the suspect was black.

Well I have a bizarre update on this story....apparently the same cop has been raping men

A Milwaukee police officer who shot and killed a man in August — setting off protests in the city — allegedly sexually assaulted incapacitated victims, tried to pay for sex and snapped nude photos of unsuspecting acquaintances, according to authorities.

Dominique Heaggan-Brown, 24, a two-year department veteran who once performed as an amateur rapper, shot and killed Sylville Smith as he fled from a traffic stop on Aug. 13.

Authorities said Heaggan-Brown shot 23-year-old Smith after he refused orders to drop his gun, though the encounter sparked police brutality protests in the city that turned violent.

An unidentified man who said that he watched TV coverage of the protests with Heaggan-Brown at a bar the night after the shooting claims that the officer raped him, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.

The unidentified man claimed that he drank too much with Heaggan-Brown and was "completely out, zonked out of his gourd,” a security guard told authorities of seeing the men on Aug. 14.

Heaggan-Brown arrived at St. Joseph’s Hospital with a drunk victim the next morning, and as nurses provided aid to the man, he allegedly flipped out when he saw Heaggan-Brown, whom he connected with through Facebook over their interest in rap music.

Help me, help me, he was touching me,” he said, according to the complaint. “He raped me, he raped me,” he allegedly said later.

The man remembered drinking two Long Island iced teas, three shots of Hennessy and a pink drink, discussing music with his Facebook friend. Heaggan-Brown “bragged about being able to do whatever [he] wanted without repercussions,” according to the complaint.

The man told authorities that he left the bar with Heaggan-Brown and woke to Heaggan-Brown trying to penetrate him, “struggling to breathe as the defendant raped [him],” according to the complaint.

He repeatedly told him “no,” but the cop didn’t listen, the victim told investigators.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/milwaukee-killed-sylville-smith-accused-sex-assault-article-1.2838201?utm_content=buffer1fe94&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw
    Post edited by Gravity on
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,440
    edited October 2016
    Gravity wrote: »

I wanted to find that image of some Asian movie where a woman sucks in a guy through a cooch vortex to use as a response to this.

Couldn't find it.

This one?
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    edited October 2016
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    He was reaching for his ankle holster or something, wasn't he?

• dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,189
    Honestly dude should have just kept his seatbelt on and not move

We need to teach people don't move and to flair flop like your life depends on it

I still don't see why we put guys with diagnosed ptsd and people who have never been in a fight in positions where they have weapons with little training in negotiation and using your words not your weapons

The training process needs to change
    They don't train these cops long enough. 19 weeks of training on average.

That would be a joke in Europe or even Canada.
    edited November 2016
    In my state down under it's 25 weeks, in some others it's 28.

• odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Population of 1500 people. Yea, you can do whatever the fuck you want lol
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,189
    I would delve deeper, but the sheriffs do like 5 months, lapd does 6

Both used to do 9 months

But really that does not make for the best use
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,404
    So the North Charleston case of the police caught on video shooting that dude in the back running away (and dropping a weapon right by the body).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/05/mistrial-declared-in-north-charleston-police-shooting-case.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/us/michael-slager-murder-trial-walter-scott-mistrial/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-declares-mistrial-michael-slager-murder-trial/story?id=43980554

Mistrial.
    Seemed there were one (or more) holdouts for a unanimous verdict.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    Good News- All new police officers in England and Wales are to have degrees.
    All new police officers in England and Wales will have to be educated to degree level from 2020, the College of Policing has announced.
    It said the training would help address changes in crime-fighting.

Prospective officers can either complete a three-year "degree apprenticeship", a postgraduate conversion course or a degree.
    The National Police Chiefs' Council said the changes would "help modernise the service".

The college's Chief Constable Alex Marshall said the nature of police work has changed significantly.
    "Cyber-enabled crime has increased," he said, "So has the need for officers and staff to investigate and gather intelligence online and via information technology."
    He also said protecting vulnerable people has become a "high priority", with officers now spending more of their time working to prevent domestic abuse, monitor high-risk sex offenders and protect at-risk children.

Mr Marshall said: "The nature of police work is getting quite complex and it is quite contentious, and the public expectation is that you'll be patrolling in my street and, by the way, you'll be patrolling online."
    Even investigating a pub fight - which used to mean interviewing the victim, perpetrator and the bar staff - now also extends to researching videos, pictures and comments published online.

More here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38319283

Bad News - Rookie cop kills old man with dementia
    The 73-year-old California man with dementia who was shot dead by police Monday may have been waving a wooden crucifix that was mistaken for a weapon, his family said.

Francisco Serna was in the early stages of dementia and had recently begun carrying around a crucifix that was about 6 inches long and waving it at people, according to one of his daughters, Laura Serna.

“There were moments where he thought he was going to die of old age,” his daughter told TIME on Tuesday. “He was just carrying that around. I don’t know if it was like for his security. They could have mistaken that for a weapon.”

Francisco Serna was out for a brisk walk at about 12:30 a.m. when a Bakersfield police officer opened fire while responding to a report of an armed man, authorities and the man’s relatives said.

Authorities said Serna was unarmed when he was shot and killed. Serna’s family believe he had the crucifix with him at the time; they have not found it in the house since his death.

Bakersfield police did not comment on whether a crucifix was found with Serna at the time of the shooting. Sgt. Gary Carruesco, a police department spokesman, said in a statement that officers were responding to a report of a man “brandishing a handgun.” One officer shot Serna several times in a neighbor’s driveway after a witness pointed to him and has since been placed on routine administrative leave.”*

http://time.com/4599335/man-dementia-fatally-shot-police-crucifix/?xid=homepage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file