HDR Online Remixed Tournaments []

RemixedRemixed The MOST TrollJoined: Posts: 768
BRACKET
Click For Bracket

SUPPORT CHAT
If you experience problems and find it easier to discuss it live, you can use the chat room here:
Click For Chat Room

SITE URL: GeneiJin87's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix LIVE

FOREWORD
As a small contribution to the HDR community, I will organize a monthly online tournament event (if successful) that is open to all (including outside of NA) for the purpose of fun, recognition of the players, and the goal of improving one's skills through experiencing different player styles.

I realize there are a multitude of problems that come with online play; cheating, latency, opinions and the like. However, nothing is on the line and one of the primary focus of this is to help improve how you think and react to all situations (i.e, your gameplay). You play better, you win more, and you enjoy the game more.

For those who want to get into the offline/online debate, I'll just say now that there are some things I agree with and some things I don't. Sure, there are environmental and mentality differences between the two which could have an affect on how you play, but if there's anything online has shown me is that it has improved and molded my style of play through experiencing a vast amount of games with different players. It has taught me when to anticipate vs when to react; Thelo wrote a good article on that subject.

So stop trying to get into a heated argument and play already! ...or don't, either way it's your decision and I'll give you my respect for it.

As a personal note, this will also allow me to gauge the kind of competition that's left on this game.

[DATE AND TIME]
This event will take place on Sunday, April 24/11 at 10PM EST/7PM PST.

[FORMAT]
  • Remixed Mode
  • Normal Timer (99 sec)
  • Best 2 out of 3 Rounds
  • Default Game Speed (3)
  • Akuma Banned
  • Best 2 out of 3 Games
  • Best 3 out of 5 Games (Semi-Finals)
  • Best 4 out of 7 Games (Grand Finals)
  • Character lock for winner

[RULES]
Subject to change
  1. Random disconnects are handled via rematch at the score the game ended at
  2. No turbo or macro pads
  3. If cheating is suspect, allow an authorized party to spectate (rematch 0-0)
  4. Report your match result immediately; any discrepancies are to be notified before your/your previous opponent's next match starts, and authorized parties will decide on the matter
  5. Failing to play approximately 5 minutes after your match is announced to you results in disqualification.

[METHOD OF OPERATION]
I understand there are inconveniences; some are unable to have access to a computer and Xbox simultaneously, Xbox Live party function is limited, some don't have microphones, and the Xbox onscreen keyboard is not the most efficient typing tool. Therefore, you can attend the chat located above (not mandatory) or send me messages on XBL (although it is limited to ~6 messages a day for non friends) or post in this thread.
  • Check this thread for bracket updates and announcements as often as you can.
    I will update the bracket and have it at the top of this post as often as possible for those have conveniently have PC/laptop access nearby.
  • I will send all participants their next match on Xbox Live via text message.
    If I do not receive a match result within 5-7 minutes of sending the message, you are immediately disqualified -- I do not want to be wasting anyone's time and would like to keep a strict schedule. Please make sure your account is set to allow text and voice communications from everyone.
  • Send the winner of the match through Xbox Live via voice or text to GeneiJin87.
    Sending just the name (full or abbreviated, as long as I can understand it) of the winner will suffice to keep things fast and short. No need to say "Player A won" or "Player B lost 2-1".
  • If there are problems, you can post it here or message on XBL
    I'll have access to a laptop nearby so I'll be able to check back and forth very often. If I should be unavailable at the moment, TheloTheGreat is authorized to look into your situation and call the shots.

[PARTICIPANTS]
  1. /

Comments

• ZarukaZaruka the Fool Joined: Posts: 856
    although i am new to hdr and generally terrible at fighting games. count me in, hopefully playing this can help me understand spacing and footsies better. still i predict i get knock out in the first game haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ZarukaFu?feature=mhee my youtube account for all your scrub viewing needs. now you can watch me live with http://www.twitch.tv/zaruka.
  • Sweet PoisonSweet Poison Knowledge is power. Joined: Posts: 981
    Include me please. I would love to get better at this game.
    My hunger's never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me.
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    I'll be there. Thanks for doing this Genei, I hope you're playing too, not just running it.
  • TheloThelo Holdin' down-back Joined: Posts: 1,144 mod
    I'll be there.

Don't forget to set up some chat channel so we can coordinate more easily. Even XBL voice chat parties have a fairly low max limit, and not everyone has a microphone.
    Keeping your cool is always the winning move.
  • xTHExBEARxxTHExBEARx Shitty Vega User Joined: Posts: 104
    Bah, I will not be around much that day. Can't do it :(

If this continues I will try hard to join next months! I can use the experience.

GL with this, this is a great idea for bums like me to get some level of tournament play in.
    HDR: Vega
    Subscribe if you'd like:
  • DecoyDecoy You better block. Joined: Posts: 497
    Count me in. I need the practice.
    XBL Tag: Real Decoy
  • REBREB Joined: Posts: 14
    I'll play.
  • RemixedRemixed The MOST Troll Joined: Posts: 768
    I'll be there.

Don't forget to set up some chat channel so we can coordinate more easily. Even XBL voice chat parties have a fairly low max limit, and not everyone has a microphone.

Thanks for the advice and reminder, Thelo. I've decided to forego any form of chatroom to make it a little less hectic; the details are at the bottom of the first post.
  • AmanojyakUAmanojyakU Joined: Posts: 3
    Im in.........but we need more............

too short my ass
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    I'll try to make it.
    GGPO name : madpossum
  • AkumaXAkumaX Joined: Posts: 37
    I'm in.
  • Big OBig O Joined: Posts: 377
    Sign me up.
  • MisterEgoTripMisterEgoTrip Bask in Sumo Prowess Joined: Posts: 943
    Damn, haven't been on the boards lately. Hey any room for fill-ins in case there's no-shows?!?
    -- "Dosukoi, Dosukoi!", says the Sumo player "Ego" as he simulates the HHS in slow motion --
    -- Honorary member of the "No Honor Crew" --
    Got you in Ego, no worries. I'll leave sign ups open until an hour before it starts. Brackets will be uploaded during that last hour as well.
    Sorry man, cant make it after all. Gotta step out and run some errands. Hopefully next time. Good luck with the tourney tonight.
    Sorry man, cant make it after all. Gotta step out and run some errands. Hopefully next time. Good luck with the tourney tonight.
    It's tomorrow, not tonight.
  • KayrohKayroh Joined: Posts: 881
    I'll try.

XBGT: Kayroh
    "Fuck the Earth, Wind and Fire, Bitch. Fuck The Elements... And Captain Planet"
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    ohh, Me me me!

...since I didn't realize there's a tournament in ohio ._.;;
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Everyone above this post has been sent a message on XBL pertaining to tonight's event. If anyone above this post did not receive a message, please clear out your inbox, check your XBL privacy settings for text and voice communications is set to everyone, and make sure I've got your gamer tag correct.

The event is taking place tonight, Saturday, January 22nd at 9 PM EST/6 PM PST. Please be on time, I am aiming to get this cleared within an hour to an hour and a half -- I will promptly disqualify your current match if there is no activity within 5 minutes, or if there is no result within 10 minutes (Semi and Grand Finals excluded).

Finally, if there are any questions please ask before this event starts, if possible. Thanks, hope to see everyone there.
  • MarsflashMarsflash BGG BITCHES!! Joined: Posts: 401
    Is it too late to sign up for this lol
    Is it too late to sign up for this lol

Nope, I'm closing sign ups an hour before it starts. And even so, I'd still find a way to stick you in there Mars. :woot:
    ahh ok Great! ill try to attend this event. Thanks alot Geneijin. I appriciate you giving me an oppurtunity to play in this event.
  • ExposedDExposedD Persona 5 Joined: Posts: 6,269
    I'd like to participate.
    one thing of though... i play on another account named "halohalohej". hopefully that wont be a problem.

sign me up genei broe
    Persona 5
  • puppup Joined: Posts: 118
    Can I get in??
    Can I get in??
    Can I get in??
    Can I get in??
    question: does your strict schedule take into account people not being able to connect to each other and thus needing to reorganize the brackets...?
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    No, that will be an exception if alternative methods fail. Reseeding will be the very last option.

Brackets are uploaded and posted at the top of the first post. Sign ups are closed now. Good luck everyone!
    Alright, I've been on xbox live for less than a month. as far as I know the only way to join a match with someone else is to find them through the lobby, or invite them via friend... so I went through some of my possible matches and quite a few of them have their list full... How do we get matched up to our right opponent?

ugh. first match marsgatti ._.
    You can invite them into a lobby by entering their name (I believe there is an option above the friend's list) or you can send them a message and have them respond back and select their profile through that message and invite to game.
    Just a reminder that we do have a chat channel (IRC: irc.mibbit.net, #HDR, online link: Mibbit IRC client widget ), so if you can't find your opponent, you can always pop in there and ask around.
    ggs to real decoy and cvital. I will post matches later. Thank you Geneijin87 for running and organizing the tournament.
  • ZarukaZaruka the Fool Joined: Posts: 856
    gg to MisterEgoTrip and megaman3d. I think i did okay for barely any experience in hdr. we have to do this again it was fun.

i will make sure to get on some more. Maybe i try to convince some people in Oklahoma to start playing hdr but if i can't this is great alternate.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ZarukaFu?feature=mhee my youtube account for all your scrub viewing needs. now you can watch me live with http://www.twitch.tv/zaruka.
  • Big OBig O Joined: Posts: 377
    My first XBL tourney and my controller decides to quit on me in both my matches lol. GG's to paulkachou and AmanojyakU. I guess I should buy a wired fightpad now...
    ggs to real decoy and cvital. I will post matches later. Thank you Geneijin87 for running and organizing the tournament.

ggs to you Sweet. I just want to go on record and say that the last match was not really fair to you though as I noticed the lag kicked in. BTW, I like your Sagat. I was afraid you were gonna stick to him lol.
  • AmanojyakUAmanojyakU Joined: Posts: 3
    GGs all. Thanks Genie and Thelo for hosting.
    [RESULTS] (also at the bottom of my first post)
    1 Marsgatti2009
    2 TheloTheGreat
    3 halohalohej
    4 MEGAMAN3D
    5 paulkachou
    5 Cvital
    7 Amanojyaku
    7 blitzfu
    9 Lofobal
    9 Real Decoy
    9 mad possum
    9 GeneiJin87
    13 TheBlueArcher
    13 Sweet Poison
    13 MisterEgoTrip
    13 Biiig OOO
    17 Zaruka
    17 Kayroh (DQed/No Show)

Congratulations to Marsgatti, Thelo, and Exposed (halohalohej) for placing top 3. Great stuff.

Good games to my competitors - AmanojyakU, paulkachou, and Cvital; well played you guys.

Thanks to everyone for showing up on time, honoring your commitment to this event, and taking the time to play. There was nothing short of quality players in this event, and I truly wish there was a way to record everyone's matches so that it could be shared -- in the future, those who participate and have capture devices, please feel free to record and upload to share with the rest of the community. The event moved by pretty smoothly and without problems, so again, thanks to everyone here for making it easy. I also discovered that the XBL messaging system is crap; apparently you can't send more than 6 messages total per day to people outside your friend's list. So to those who were kept waiting past the said time limit, I apologize. We had a very good turnout, only 1 out of the 18 participants was a no-show. Finished in just under an hour and 45 minutes.

Thanks to Thelo for convincing me to set up a chat room last minute (thank god), and for recording and uploading matches and generally overseeing the event. I'd also like to thank Sweet Poison for capturing his matches, and am looking forward to both player's recorded matches. And finally, I'd like to thank everyone again for coming on to play, it means a lot to me and I feel everyone did a great job.

Sagat, Dhalsim vs Blanka

And I will try to stay next time and record other matches. Just tough when you have 3 little ones to watch.
    Here are my recorded matches:

• rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,285
    Sound like fun, wish it was little later or a different day...Congrats to Marsgatti
    GGs to all i played last night, nothing but tough great players all around. Im sort of surprised because I was expecting my favorite player of the bunch to make it to grandfinals guranteed(genei) but anyways vggs to thelo, always a pleasure to play you. Also ggs to blitzfu, Blue archer, and paukichu i think. Hopefully there will be more of these in the future. Thanks to thelo and genei for allowing me to play in this event. Thanks and take care.
    Thanks and GGS

Thanks for the ggs to my competitors: Marsgatti2009, Genjeigin87, Megaman3D, and Biiig OOO. Also, thanks again to Genjei for organizing and running the tournament.

First match against Biiig OOO I must say I was a bit lucky -- he was not lying when he said his controller died, and they died at critical points in the match. His Zangief vs. my Sagat -- it was close; I was confused when he was just standing idle. Made much more sense when I saw his post about the broken controller.

Second match was against Genjei; he won the first Sagat vs. Bison match. Not really close, he got a couple TODs on me. I switched to Chun and was able to come back barely get the last throw in the 3rd round. He switched to Dhalsim; it was also another very close game and went to the 3rd round, but I managed to pull it out.

For the 3rd match I was secretly hoping to see Marsgatti, because I enjoy Sagat vs. Guile. I got my wish, but not the results I was hoping for. I have videos of that match, which only went 2 games. For some reason I wasn't hitting my uppercuts cleanly, I choked a couple times, and Marsgatti has tremendous reflexes as he was able to jump my random FBs more than any other Guile I have ever seen. I have videos of this beatdown; I might upload them after my embarrassment wears off.

For my 4th match, I played against Megaman3D. I knew I was going to have a tough time with his Vega, as I had played him a few times over the past couple days. First couple rounds with Sagat were close, but after a couple close initial rounds, he just stomped me. I thought about going Chun, but my Sagat normally has a slightly better (very low) chance against his Vega than my Chun (zero chance). I have videos of these as well.
    ggs everyone! whoo~

Yeah, I wish I had more games... First match was against marsgatti =( I got busted so fast I don't even know what happened.

Second was against MegaMan3D =( I was confident going into this one, since I had played MM3D before one of my first days having Xbox Live. I'm salty about this one, both matches were 1:1 and the last round was down to a throw and both rolled back on my screen =(. Both times my reaction: YES! .....NOOOOO =(

In retrospect I should have jumped forward a couple of times to counter those walldives that whiffed instead of n. jumping or jumping back.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next one. Keep it up genei!

Everyone who recorded matches remember to upload them! *considers getting a cheap video capture card*
    paulkachou's matches

These are the only two matches I have. (Didn't have the camera set up for the first 2 matches)

paulkachou (sagat) vs. marsgatti2009 (guile)

paulkachou (sagat) vs. megaman3d (vega)
    Nice Sagat bro. I agree in that you had Marsgatti2009. I think you doubted yourself in throwing some tiger uppercuts. Very good stuff though. I did learn a lot watching your Sagat vs Vega though. It seems that if Sagat can eliminate any viable chance of Vega getting behind him then it makes the matchup a little easier in that you dont have to worry about getting grabbed or hit from behind. You then just have to worry about him being in front and watch out for poke and grabs and quick jump ins. Again though very good stuff.
    Haha, thanks Sweet, but that was a thrashing and I don't claim that I was close to beating Marsgatti2009. Yes, there were about 5 or 6 places where I normally tiger uppercut and just blocked instead -- I'm still shaking my head at myself there. I mean, if you can't uppercut people who jump in, why the F am I playing Sagat, right? Nerves/skill, I guess. The first match I think I could have won if I just calmed down and just landed one uppercut. The second match Mars was on point throughout.

Vega's jumpin is so fast for Sagat, it's hard to uppercut in person, and near impossible online. That and megaman has a great Vega. :) Neutral jump is also dangerous against Vega because of the slide -> flip kick. I need to experiment more vs. Vega because I hate that matchup. :)
  • JigglyNorrisJigglyNorris The Low Tier Hero Joined: Posts: 1,279
    Man, I would've joined if it was on a different day. I can record fights now too.
    Those looked like great matches Poison, Thelo, and paul -- thanks for recording and sharing it with us.

Poison - I know you mainly as a Dhalsim player, but it looks like your Sagat is coming together nicely.
    Thelo - You got in some good matches. That double K.O against Exposed was surprising, very nice you caught that on video. Keep doing what you do best and play it cool with down-back.
    paul - I totally underestimated you and you kicked my ass for it. Well done on your matches.

On another note, how do you think people would feel about an HDR Classic tourney?
  • milesokeefemilesokeefe Spammy Joined: Posts: 387
    Nice lineup! ....AND it was all over with in less than 2 hours?!?

Wish I could have participated. Stupid no home internet until February D: