Logan (2017)

1131415161719»

Comments

• AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,346
    edited August 11
    Finally watched Logan, had some free code for red box. Not really that familiar with Old Man Logan comic, kinda depressing seeing the Wolverine in that state. But I liked the movie overall. Could have used some more mutants besides old Xavier and old Caliban. I wonder if Fox is gonna start making room for grown up Laura.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That's the idea behind it.
    They already did it in the books, makes lots of sense to do the same thing for the movies; Hugh Jackman not getting any younger by the minute and it's a big risk if they re-cast too soon.

Fox might come back to the character after a couple years, maybe they'll see how Phoenix will be received first before moving forward with a new wolverine movie.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Finally watched Logan, had some free code for red box. Not really that familiar with Old Man Logan comic, kinda depressing seeing the Wolverine in that state. But I liked the movie overall. Could have used some more mutants besides old Xavier and old Caliban. I wonder if Fox is gonna start making room for grown up Laura.

The story behind Old Man Logan is actually pretty sweet, check it out if you get the chance.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    NeoBlood wrote: »
    The story behind Old Man Logan is actually pretty sweet, check it out if you get the chance.

I concur, one of the best by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven. Movie Xavier is like a stand-in for comic book Hawkeye of sorts to me.

They did a homage to that story recently in a short arc on the current Old Man Logan and it really got me uh, feeling old af lololol
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,797
    edited August 11
    tataa8P wrote: »
    That's the idea behind it.
    They already did it in the books, makes lots of sense to do the same thing for the movies; Hugh Jackman not getting any younger by the minute and it's a big risk if they re-cast too soon.

Fox might come back to the character after a couple years, maybe they'll see how Phoenix will be received first before moving forward with a new wolverine movie.

Yeah, I mean she's already Wolverine now in the comics (after a while of it being setup and some stuff with Daken), so it only makes sense that they would work that way with the movies. It's partly why my only actual complaint about the movie is that at the end when she was looking down at the grave, it didn't show her with his old "Wolverine" dog tags in her hand/around her neck.

Maybe I will. I only read some stuff with him from the Secret Wars arc, he's running away in the desert. Apparently he killed all the x-men in his universe. He faced the Maestro Hulk recently, that sounds interesting.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
    Yeah TBH I don't read comics that much but from what I heard in the years up until OML came out Wolverine was being written very poorly, and OML just kind of freshened everything up, made him a tragic character again.
    OG wolverine's send-off was pretty much a result of Marvel trying to market the whole thing as an "event" but not a lot of readers gave a fuck about it.

The new "Marvel Legacy" series is looking to bring back OG wolverine in tandem with current wolverine/X-23 after their Marvel Now! relaunch wasn't a success. The current OML series is a better read than the majority of the current X-books, aside from X-Men blue/gold imo
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    Marvel itself is a shambles comic wise. It's as bad, if not worse than New 52/Flashpoint DC.

All this SJW/forced diversity shit is annoying as fuck, plus the writing AND art are shit tier across the board.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    I agree, like, the diversity is fine, but maybe just try to come up with cool original characters and not just shoehorn diversity into long-standing ones.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    New characters don't sell, diverse new characters sell even worse so they try to apply it to already known names.

Those also don't sell.

They should probably stop doing that all together.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    Having legacy heroes isn't a problem. Marvel replaced all their top heroes all at once and the predecessors neither got killed, or got thrown into parts unknown. It was jarring af.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Yeah, like there's a difference between it feeling organic and natural (like it did with X-23) and well...feeling forced and shoehorned in.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,722
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Marvel itself is a shambles comic wise. It's as bad, if not worse than New 52/Flashpoint DC.

All this SJW/forced diversity shit is annoying as fuck, plus the writing AND art are shit tier across the board.

isn't it more of a comics is dying as a whole rather than dc/marvel issues? IDK I think internet/better vg consoles made it harder on comics to sell even at that low price.
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    locoghoul wrote: »
    po pimpus wrote: »

isn't it more of a comics is dying as a whole rather than dc/marvel issues? IDK I think internet/better vg consoles made it harder on comics to sell even at that low price.

Good comics and graphic novels still serve a niche. The fact that 90% of TV and movies are comic adaptations is enough of a clue that the medium has some merit still.

Comics are also more expensive now than ever, yet the overall quality has declined greatly, similar to how games look better than ever, but a lot of them run or play like crap.

There's shit you can do in comics and manga that can never be replicated elsewhere.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    the problem is comics are still not strong enough to survive without the big two. they are 80-90% of the reason people even go to comic shops and discover a indy joint. rarely has anyone whos never read comics gone in for indy shit unless their some jilted hipster mid 20s.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    Yeah, I will say there is some merit to the fact that there are certain things that can only be done in the comic/manga/anime medium that has to give it some merit alone. I mean the idea of all of that stuff just being say, live action TV only would just sound weird.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 14
    I agree, like, the diversity is fine, but maybe just try to come up with cool original characters and not just shoehorn diversity into long-standing ones.
    I think think it's also stupid AF because the comic world is not in line with the cinematic universe. The movies should transition people into the comics, not be a bizarre "what if" world where every single major hero is a re-skinned diversity hire. They could add a few diversity characters to established rosters and it would probably be much more acceptable to the core fanbase. Putting a bunch of SJWs in charge is retarded because those turd flinging monkeys ruin everything. That's the issue with putting people in charge who see themselves as revolutionaries is that most revolutions fail miserably. It's as though they don't think their job at marvel is to sell comics, but preach to the peasants from their holier than thou pulpit.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    Though the X-23 from the movie universe had a happier life compared to the comics version; that one had it much rougher and therefore is much more visceral. I remember old logan in the comics saying there was a Laura in his universe. I hope it she isn't that tame.

I think New 52 was great, I have no attachment to pre-flash point stuff. But some people can't let go. What really messed it up for me was that Rebirth launch, and they replaced characters with new versions out of nowhere. Batgirl and Black Canary were some bad ass women. Then for some reason they thought we needed a teenage Batgirl. Haven't checked out the new Black Canary.
    Having New 52 as your starting point to the DC comic universe isn't too bad but you definitely lose out on a ton of backstory and the mythos built around the characters.

DC Rebirth isn't trying to replace existing characters with newer versions per se, it's more of a merging old characterizations and mythos of an existing character [no major retconning] but with a modern, stylized narrative.
    I read they were going for a "stories will beat continuity" thing. It's that what they say it was, a merging? I really am not liking Rebirth; guess it would bother me less if they had not left things unfinished for some characters.

I like what New 52 Constantine and Justice League Dark did. Gave the first 8 or 9 Rebirth Constantine issues a try, but I didn't like them. Constantine was hooked on Zatana, but now we see him just thinking about "bumming" a guy's butt. Pre new 52 Constantine? I liked Superman and Wonder Woman together. But for some reason he died to bring back old Superman? Green Lanterns universe has been left untouched, I think.
    That's the part where it gets divisive for readers about Rebirth: the continuity

It's about retaining a specific character's pre-Flashpoint history and combining it [which does include elements from the New 52]
    into a newer continuity all the while modernizing the narrative to be able to cater to newer readers.

This allows the creative teams to bring back older characters and re-roll them into the current continuity i.e Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Blue Beetle [Ted Kord] and obviously The Watchmen.

The Superman continuity was recently consolidated in preparation for the Doomsday Clock event they are doing in November.