SUPERCADE IS AMAZING!!!! Supercade over GGPO

Comments

• mayor mcjustinmayor mcjustin Betty White = GDLK Joined: Posts: 1,801
    Im responding on the Mars comment. Mars is not a troll in any form of the word. The dude knows his shit and he is one of the most humble and real players out there.
    As for the debate, GGPO has been out longer hasnt it? But the edge is supercade. Just being able to play alone and connecting on the first try wins my vote. Even if my ping is at 150 when I play Damdai lol
    ST: Dee Jay
    Persona 4 Arena: I have no idea yet !!!!
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    You are still able to challenge, but only people who do have the ports open, in which case they are still the host, which is why you will always be player 2 if you don't have ports open.

It's just like the warning that I got. It's random. Sometime I can be p1 but other times I was forced to play as p2 even when I initiated the challenge.

BTW, shouldn't we use GMC instead of US version?

According to many people, there are less stage speed variation on GMC than US. (i.e. US gief/chun/sim stage are still faster than GMC)

Plus gief can use a little buff :)
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • GrogGrog discombobulatingly Joined: Posts: 3,617
    Damdai is a highly skilled programmer. I'm sure he can do it =] (can't we have a checkbox so P1 can decide whether people can spectate?, like the record replay checkbox?)

I forwarded my port correctly, but 2 out of 3 times starting supercade, the start up screen still complains that my port not being forwarded.

But I can still challenge / accept challenge just fine.

Maybe the port forwarding detection is buggy.

Also damdai, if people didn't put a number in the port textfield in the login screen, you throw up a big exception error in a dialog box :)

And finally, although supercade US T2 = arcade US T2 speed, but because of the 2~3 input/display lag, it is still better to not use US T2 on supercade.

I think making free select or T1 as default is better.

TURBO 2 FOR LIFE :mad::mad:
    I'll support whatever the scene supports. Personally, right now the EC has really stepped up to be the ambassadors for the US ST scene. If they really feel it's time to change, not to mention, actually take the time to maintain the infrastructure, then I am for it. It seems to me that are doing their best to keep the ST scene alive on the net. :tup:

Sup man, are you going to Evo this year? It'd be cool to chill with you again.
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • CWheezyCWheezy Joined: Posts: 889
    Damdai is actively working on supercade, seems the best bet.

Never have problems with it, but ggpo has problems galore
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    BTW, shouldn't we use GMC instead of US version?

Just wanna second this. Give me that dizzy !
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    I have tested GGPO vs supercade with the same people and most of the time supercade is better. for people further away from me, the connection is really good. but for some reason, when i play ppl close to me, ggpo works better. I like having the option of both now. both help keep the sf2 scene going.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    but for some reason, when i play ppl close to me, ggpo works better.

yeah this is the weirdest thing that happened to me also on supercade. I have 37ms ping to ultra and the frameskipping that I got was crazy. But on his side (windows7) he said everything is okay. I was playing another guy with 150ms just before and it was fine.

But that doesn't happen all the time though.

Like I said computer software/hardware issues are hard to diagnose.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • SteveTrenSteveTren RYU Ph.D Joined: Posts: 999
    I'm just gonna give my personal opinion for whats is worth.

1.Supercade connects everytime, GGPO doesn't.
    2.GGPO allows realtime spectating Supercade doesn't.
    3.Supercade's GUI is far superior to GGPO.
    4.Supercade is still being actively improved and updated, GGPO is pretty much done with any updates.
    5.GGPO is still the more popular place to play ST (for now)
    6.GGPO's emulation feels more correct, Supercade has something weird about its emulation timing/ slow down calculation.
    7.Supercade records matches and stores them.
    8. Most importantly Supercade has potential to be the best, GGPO is dead in the water.

Currently I prefer GGPO, but I see myself going to Supercade in the near future.
    GGPO: stevetren
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    I'm with Steve on this one. As of now I'm just on ggpo because supercade is usually empty, but GGPO is never gonna get updated, we are going to have to abandon it one day. Especially when we have something like Supercade which is actually getting updates and support.
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • otakugamer223otakugamer223 GGPO scrub Joined: Posts: 286
    Damdai is a highly skilled programmer. I'm sure he can do it =] (can't we have a checkbox so P1 can decide whether people can spectate?, like the record replay checkbox?)

I forwarded my port correctly, but 2 out of 3 times starting supercade, the start up screen still complains that my port not being forwarded.

But I can still challenge / accept challenge just fine.

Maybe the port forwarding detection is buggy.

Also damdai, if people didn't put a number in the port textfield in the login screen, you throw up a big exception error in a dialog box :)

And finally, although supercade US T2 = arcade US T2 speed, but because of the 2~3 input/display lag, it is still better to not use US T2 on supercade.

I think making free select or T1 as default is better.

Totally agree with Papasi here. I've tried Supercade back when it used to be called 2DF, felt great even running 3S, no real problems, pure play and it was stable.

However, 2DF felt so empty and (I'm no good btw) the competition was more casual (though the usual GGPO heads were on there often as well. Although GGPO gets a ton of ignorant newbies so I can't really say much.)

It's spectating, chilling out in the chat and having some discussion even with the trolls, shit talk followed by flooding of spectators... Although I do agree that GGPO is a really outdated client, and perhaps at some point there will come a point where everyone goes to Supercade. Though I'm happy with GGPO, I've never complained about any of the challenge problems or server's restarts, and there I'll stay.
    fighting games are fun
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    and at least six people have voiced that they are either indifferent or prefer supercade, what are you getting at here?

i was the one who told him to make this thread in the first place, he had no underlying intention of starting a flame war, we genuinely just want to get the word out about an alternative to ggpo, that's all. stop being so negative, or go back to the hdr forum, either one works for me thanks in advance

Sorry Axel, you don't get to choose what anyone posts, or where. I won't try to make my point again because you're clearly oblivious to it.
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
  • evoanonevoanon FP Black Inside Joined: Posts: 431
    I will open both GGPO and Supercade and play whichever one I get challenges on or people accept my challenges on. I would prefer to play Supercade solely, but there usually aren't many people playing when I'm on. Hope in the future that changes :D.
  • Axel KellyAxel Kelly Joined: Posts: 1,481
    I won't try to make my point again

cool, thanks again man
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    One other thing I hate about supercade.

Chat is populated by foreign spam....which is fine if you're foreign.

I have to go by every brazilian and hit block and every other person who challenges me with a 300+ ping and thinks it would be a fun experience.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
  • DeathGunDeathGun Joined: Posts: 699
    Im having problem with weird background sound (static) just like a few guys reported. Thats annoying. I played only a few matchs at superarcade and it felt nice, w/o the imput delay i felt in the past with 2df. But there was some frameskipping aswell, id have to try to play with the same people at ggpo and then at superarcade in order to compare. Fixed speed is nice aswell. Lack of bugs is great, but the netcode is everything to me, so id rather to keep with the buggy ggpo if i feel its better at masking the lag. I also like the fact I can to get fresh delay readings from any player at any giver time, i dont have to wait for the ggpo to refresh it.

Ill use the topic to ask something to you damdai; do you know why we havent seen freelancers like you to hack the SF4 to try and modify its netcode? Is it too hard to do reverse engineering (or whatever is the proper term for having access to the game's code) on it or what? After 2 years all I have seen are new skins.
  • DeathGunDeathGun Joined: Posts: 699
    One other thing I hate about supercade.

Chat is populated by foreign spam....which is fine if you're foreign.

I have to go by every brazilian and hit block and every other person who challenges me with a 300+ ping and thinks it would be a fun experience.

that will happens anywhere, if theres a good amount of people from the same place in the same room. In ggpo you will aways to see portuguese text whenever 4 or more brazilians get in the room. You will also see others languages, i think i see a lot of german there too. Once superarcade have only 1 chat room and way more brazilians around than at ggpo, you see a lot of portuguese text.
    imo The chat in supercade is better because you can pm but it's also worse because it's censored like crazy.

I don't really care for foreigners but I have tried to talk to japanese players and ask them about what ST is like over there etc. Both clients have the ignore feature so it doesn't matter.
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • Elton ChongElton Chong AKA Herbert Wong Joined: Posts: 346

( Sharizord )Are you butt hurt in every fucken thread? Seriously, shut the fuck up about the ST crowd, we get it, your ass is sore.

LOL so true.
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213
    I agree, it is indeed amazing ! Works way better than ggpo on my computer and without all the annoying nonsense that often made me want to throw my arcade stick across the room. The spectating feature is not included, but it's to make the playing experience better, and that should be the main goal for that type of program. It's also regularly updated and getting better and better, whereas ggpo is completely abandoned. Looks like a very easy choice to me...
  • jdmjdm skillz Joined: Posts: 178
    ST runs like crap on W7 anyways so it wouldn't make any difference switching over. Until I buy another PC with XP or a console, it's GGPO for now...
    GGPO: jdmskillz

Super Turbo all day.
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    FBA runs terrible on Windows 7.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Supercade stopped working on my computer as it now demands some .NET framework full or some version that I simply can not find in Windows Update Website.
  • damdaidamdai www.damdai.com Joined: Posts: 1,079
    FBA runs terrible on Windows 7.

FBA runs terrible on YOUR windows 7. Many people use Supercade and GGPO on Win7 with no problems, including myself.

oldschool_BR, install .net 4 from the link on the Supercade install page.
    supercade.damdai.com
    tonamento.damdai.com
    frame-advantage.com
    I have no problem on W7.
    Supercade just needs to add MK3 and UMK3 using mame and it would be godlike.

Make that shit happen damdai.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    GGPO also does this annoying shit where I lose connection instantly as soon as I log in. I have to close and reopen ggpo. A lot of times it happens like 4 times in a row. I know it's minor but it's kinda frustrating, I hope we all can jump on supercade soon.

Anyone else get this?
    How do I change the rom path in supercade? I tried editing <USER>/Appdata/Supercade/Config/SupercadeEmulator.ini

but it keeps reverting back to my original settings. Tried deleting the ini and it errors saying it can't find it.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
  • damdaidamdai www.damdai.com Joined: Posts: 1,079
    How do I change the rom path in supercade? I tried editing <USER>/Appdata/Supercade/Config/SupercadeEmulator.ini

but it keeps reverting back to my original settings. Tried deleting the ini and it errors saying it can't find it.

There's no reason to manually change rom path as it will ask you to reselect rom folder whenever it can't find the roms it needs.
    supercade.damdai.com
    tonamento.damdai.com
    frame-advantage.com
    See, Damdai makes shit mad simple. Now how about that Killer Instinct lol
  • WolmarWolmar Joined: Posts: 184
    Good points stated in that thread (beside "mars=troll" wtf?!) : I think the community feeling has a lot to do in ggpo's success. Possibility to spectate / chat with st freaks only is a lot entertaining. In an other way, if spectating causes lag, then supercade must not include it. A try would be nice imo, though ; because this would definitely bury this debate.
    Ggpo is still a great program, and it has allowed hundreds of players to keep ST alive. But what is this all about ? Does saying ggpo will be certainly outdated and supercade will be the future of online arcade gaming means we don't respect Ponder ? Would Ponder really be hurt over that, seriously ?
    I think everyone has to enjoy what Damdai is doing for the community, creating / updating supercade consistently. No place to argue there, just to enjoy playing games.
    Against Balrog, it determine the direction Shoryu fist input is difficult. Has been condemned to the left orinput, so right. I try to issue a reversal is born so firmly command you miss wandering.
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    FBA runs terrible on YOUR windows 7. Many people use Supercade and GGPO on Win7 with no problems, including myself.

oldschool_BR, install .net 4 from the link on the Supercade install page.

I can run some heavy soft like Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2 and Adobe Master Collection CS5 without any problems.

My computer is an Intel i7, 4gb ram DD3, up to 16bg ram and my windows 7 is the 64 bit version, i don't think my pc is the problem, I had to make some tweaks to Windows 7 in order to smooth input lag.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • zasszass Da 'Mizer Joined: Posts: 1,122
    Great UI, great gameplay, great network connection. Really nice how it just works out of the box without additonal installs. Great job damdai!
    Taking shit back to the RESERVOIR
    http://tea-hawk.blogspot.com

SF2 Code v1.0: t+ c+ T+ r+(-) f g+ m+ s+ v+ M+(-) n+:++ o+ (av by Tat Guy)
    http://web.archive.org/web/19970219205915/hannibal.mit.edu/things/sf2/sf2code.txt
    There's no reason to manually change rom path as it will ask you to reselect rom folder whenever it can't find the roms it needs.

Seems to be a flaw then, the rom path I selected has a different VERSION of roms, so whenever it tries to load the game it fails, and I can't set it to a different path =/, adding a 2nd path in the ini also does nothing.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    Is there a way to make supercade disable desktop composition when a game is launched? Seeing as aero adds input lag and dropped frames.
  • evoanonevoanon FP Black Inside Joined: Posts: 431
    +1 on adding MK's and KI :D.
    Is there a way to make supercade disable desktop composition when a game is launched? Seeing as aero adds input lag and dropped frames.

You could throw 2 batch files on your desktop:

Run this when you wanna play supercade, it will disable aero and then launch supercade:
    net stop uxsms
    %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Supercade.appref-ms

Then make another batch file:
    net start uxsms

And run that when you've finished playing supercade.

Damdai could implement it easily, he'd just have to run that command during the MyBase.Load event (since the important part is having aero off before, supercadeemulator.exe starts, the client doesn't matter) and just write a function that handles the exit event to execute the net start before it finishes.

For example, you could just do this during the main form loading (not sure if you're using vb.net or C#, most likely C# but I'll put both:
    private void main_form_Load(System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
            // Psuedo if statement here to check if configuration file has user wanting to disable Aero
    	System.Diagnostics.Process newprocess = new System.Diagnostics.Process();
    	newprocess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = true;
    	newprocess.StartInfo.FileName = "net";
    	newprocess.StartInfo.Arguments = "stop uxsms";
    	newprocess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = false;
            //MessageBox.show("Disabling Aero");
    	newprocess.Start();
    	newprocess.WaitForExit();
    }

Private Sub main_form_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            'Psuedo if statement here to check if configuration file has user wanting to disable Aero
            Dim newprocess As New System.Diagnostics.Process()
            newprocess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
            newprocess.StartInfo.FileName = "net"
            newprocess.StartInfo.Arguments = "stop uxsms"
            newprocess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = False
            'messagebox.show("Disabling Aero")
            newprocess.Start()
            newprocess.WaitForExit()
        End Sub

Would probably be ideal to just do this before launching the emulator, rather than the client, then when the client detects the emulator is closed to turn aero back on. Just be sure to write event handlers to execute turning aero back on incase of a crash.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
  • Fighter21Fighter21 Joined: Posts: 68
    The problem that I have with GGPO and Supercade, is that the reversal timing feels completely different. I rarely get reversals on Supercade.
    I dont know if its the speed settings.
    (Which btw no one can give me a straight up answer, what the speed setting is supposed to be on for US Arcade ST. Some ppl like ultracombo say its speed 0, others on GGPO say its speed 1, and supercade just defaults it at speed 2.)
    Or if its the way the netcode runs.
    Or its just my execution.
    But other than that im liking supercade a lot. Not too many ppl play it compared to GGPO, but i like how it gets updated all the time even though I have no idea what the updates are lol. Supercade is def the future of online 2D fighting games.
    AKA SuperrV
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 458
    I had no idea the ST board was this sensitive; hence it's entertaining to read.
    T(Which btw no one can give me a straight up answer, what the speed setting is supposed to be on for US Arcade ST. Some ppl like ultracombo say its speed 0, others on GGPO say its speed 1, and supercade just defaults it at speed 2.)

You can always change it on supercade, speed 2 is OK imo on supercade but I think it's still a bit too fast. As for GGPO, Turbo 0 is definitely the ideal speed, I think T1 is OK if you're playing someone local or with a low ping.
    You could throw 2 batch files on your desktop

Thanks man now supercade will be a lot better for me.
  • jpj1983jpj1983 Joined: Posts: 156
    GGPO is still superior to Supercade for playing ST. If you properly configure GGPO it should run just fine. If you do not properly configure GGPO then it won't run optimally. I don't know what motivation you have to continually discourage people from using GGPO but it's overly annoying. Damdai must really appreciate having his name mentioned next to criticism and slander of GGPO because it has been happening a lot lately.

"Supercade over GGPO" <-- LOL. Please just shut the fuck up already.

How many times do you and the rest of the DontBlowThis crew have to badmouth or slander GGPO before it stops? Weren't you the one on the stream last week saying that you couldn't play ST offline using GGPO as well? Ever heard of ggpofba.exe? How can you objectively evaluate GGPO when you don't even understand some of the basic functions of the program?

GGPO is the past, present, and future of online ST play. If you want to promote other ways to play ST online, like Supercade, then go ahead. Anything to keep ST alive is fine by me and most other ST players. Supercade provides another outlet to keep people playing ST which is great. But to start a thread encouraging people to quit using GGPO is disgusting. Without GGPO there is probably no ST scene today. And without GGPO there wouldn't be much going forward either.

GGPO is still the future of online ST and likely always will be.

sick troll post