Evil Ryu Q&A Thread: Ask simple questions here!

Tatsumaki_12Tatsumaki_12 Joined: Posts: 312

Comments

• DrybonesDrybones Joined: Posts: 95
    First?

Also, I've seen that evil ryu has some akuma-like qualities (obviously). In the opinion of those who've played him and have seen his playstyle, what sort of shoto is he? Mixup oriented like akuma or more defensive like ryu?
  • Rage_Storm777Rage_Storm777 Joined: Posts: 7
    So i heard E.Ru can do s.fp into m.axekick. into cr.mp into bnb combos, is the cr.mp 1 frame link?
  • DopeUyuuDopeUyuu wacha cha Joined: Posts: 427
    It seemed like a one frame link when I tried it but it's way worth the damage if you can get it consistently that is.

나락에 핀 꽃 (The Flower Bloomed in Hell)
    currently stuck in my head ^__^
  • Rage_Storm777Rage_Storm777 Joined: Posts: 7
    So been hearing this about e.ryu doing a light shoryu on grounded opponenet into ultra with no fadcing, is that true? which is the better ultra to use? cause u2 seems very damaging, it can be fadc into off shoryu but not with full animation, so overall which is the better ultra to use?
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    3 questions

1: Does Evil Ryu's dive kick have noticeably more hit stun then Akuma's dive kick?

2. How much damage does partial Ultra 2 do. Try and estimate as best you can if possible.

3. I've read some reports that cross up LK air tatsu will juggle like Akuma's and allow Evil Ryu to juggle opponents for more damage. Any truth to that?
  • KenshiroKenshiro Rich Joined: Posts: 128
    3 questions

1: Does Evil Ryu's dive kick have noticeably more hit stun then Akuma's dive kick?

2. How much damage does partial Ultra 2 do. Try and estimate as best you can if possible.

3. I've read some reports that cross up LK air tatsu will juggle like Akuma's and allow Evil Ryu to juggle opponents for more damage. Any truth to that?

1. Yes, noticeably more hit stun that Akuma's command normal dive kick, but not the demon flip version. You can also do E. Ryu's dive kick before hitting the apex of your jump, unlike Akuma.

2. Not sure, I'll pay attention next time I play him.

3. Edit: lk air tatsu crossup does not allow followup from what I can tell...it shoots the opponent to the other side of the screen too quickly.
    ggpo tag: Kenshiro
  • KenshiroKenshiro Rich Joined: Posts: 128
    Not sure if we're going to have a Combo only thread from Evil Ryu, so I'll just share in this thread. Mods, feel free to copy/paste in a new thread if you see fit:

cr.lp, st.hp (forces stand) xx mk.Axe Stomp (his new hcf + k special), cr.mp (seems to be 1 frame link, so plinking helps) xx lk.Tatsu, hp.Shoryuken

This looks to do 400 plus damage with no meter usage!

You can also tack on an Ultra I to his lk.Tatsu ender combos, but it scales heavily so try to keep these short:

On standing opponent: cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx lk.Tatsu, lp.Shoryuken, FADC U1 (charge it a bit, it gives you time)
    On crouchers: substitute a st.hp for the cr.mp to force stand...link timing is tighter though

Not yet sure if you can hit the U1 after a non-FADC Shoryuken...I'll try that next time.
    ggpo tag: Kenshiro
    Good info Kenshiro, it seems you're the only one playing Evil Ryu that is contributing to this sub forum right now so any more insight you have on the character would be very appreciated.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Could someone post E. Ryu's movelist please?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • DMANSLANDDMANSLAND Joined: Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if E. Ryu's Super does as much damage as Akuma's?
  • superlollosuperlollo S Tier Joined: Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure that STANDING hp forces stand? It looks identical to Akuma's and it does not force stand....c.hp does (akuma) but it's way slower and doesn't combo from c.lp.

s.hp is 4 frames, it's a 2 frame link from c.lp, not hard AT ALL...if evil ryu's s.hp forces stand AND is 4 frames it's gonna be godlike.
    Things that should be patched:
    - People that constantly complain that there should be a patch.

by. J.Scogz
    Are you sure that STANDING hp forces stand? It looks identical to Akuma's and it does not force stand....c.hp does (akuma) but it's way slower and doesn't combo from c.lp.

s.hp is 4 frames, it's a 2 frame link from c.lp, not hard AT ALL...if evil ryu's s.hp forces stand AND is 4 frames it's gonna be godlike.

Looks like a force stand to me

BTW guys, since Evil Ryu is being officially unlocked soon. Can we please get some footage up in here? I want to see this guy in high level play.
  • De4dEyEDe4dEyE Getting Higher. Joined: Posts: 1,905

(EmphyNAPS under a friend's account)

Close standing fierce most definitely forces stand. Also, it's interesting to note that close fierce actually can activate from further away than any other close normal.

I'm entirely sure close fierce is not 4 frames, because after forward axe kick FADC, the slowest possible thing to link after is low strong or close strong. Close fierce does not work in this situation.

Speaking of close fierce, I've noticed that it has a somewhat high hitbox. I've seen a low short from Yang, which makes Yang's hitbox incredibly low, beat my close fierce and not be a counter hit.
    Have I.... given it everything I have...?

NOPE
    (EmphyNAPS under a friend's account)

Close standing fierce most definitely forces stand. Also, it's interesting to note that close fierce actually can activate from further away than any other close normal.

I'm entirely sure close fierce is not 4 frames, because after forward axe kick FADC, the slowest possible thing to link after is low strong or close strong. Close fierce does not work in this situation.

Speaking of close fierce, I've noticed that it has a somewhat high hitbox. I've seen a low short from Yang, which makes Yang's hitbox incredibly low, beat my close fierce and not be a counter hit.

Well that's cool then. It looked the same as Akuma's so I thought it'd also be 4 frames. If it's 5 frames it means that the c.lp s.hp link will be a one framer, not so good for hit confirms since you have only one jab to confirm AND need to hit a 1 frame link after that.

Do you still get the close version of s.hp after 2 crouching jabs? And at that distance (c.lp c.lp s.hp) is the mk axe kick safe on block?
    Also, is his c.jab 3 frame?
    Sorry for the many questions =)

by. J.Scogz
    Ok, hopefully this question will be interesting enough. From what we've seen, Evil Ryu's dash is pretty good. It's fast and moves a pretty good distance. If Ryu does LK tatsu and resets with a cr. LP, can he dash and cross under to the other side of his opponent or will he still remain in his opponents front side? That would be a good mix up opportunity if it works, so does it?
  • DooplissDoopliss T.Rawk Joined: Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    What's E.Ryu's target combo? c.MP xx c.HP?
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Gotta Patch 'Em All!" an USFIV Old Character Combo Video
  • DTCDTC Temporary Retired SSFIV:AE Player Joined: Posts: 68
    What's E.Ryu's target combo? c.MP xx c.HP?

cl.mp > hp like 3rd strike Akuma
  • HadoukenXHadoukenX Joined: Posts: 51
  • DooplissDoopliss T.Rawk Joined: Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    cl.mp > hp like 3rd strike Akuma

Ok, thanks.
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Gotta Patch 'Em All!" an USFIV Old Character Combo Video
  • HawkHawk Tandem and Saikyo Joined: Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭
    Anybody found a kara throw for E.Ryu yet? I heard a few of his normals move him forward a noticeable amount, so...
  • Panda BowlPanda Bowl Joined: Posts: 13
    Health and stun stats by chance...? I know they're low but I was wondering if anyone knew just HOW low...
  • thethrillisgonethethrillisgone thethrillisfree Joined: Posts: 955
    Health and stun stats by chance...? I know they're low but I was wondering if anyone knew just HOW low...

Same as Akuma, 850/850
    Zeniside says (4:56 PM):
    my brother is a crap drunk too. He got drunk and fought with a bush because he thought it pushed him
  • Messatsu OrochiMessatsu Orochi Joshimitsu! Joined: Posts: 1,555
    his kara throw is st.HP.

credit goes to afro cole for showing me on monday. good range.
    Tha Deezo (2:53:20 AM): I have a better chance of marrying Utada than he does of winning a tourney here with Chun
    Tha Deezo (2:53:22 AM): QUOTE ME
    Strider Ibuki - 8bit sprite by ReyArt
  • ZenouZenou Kuroshiki Oni Joined: Posts: 27
    Can anyone translate what Evil Ryu says after landing ultra 1 and 2?
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 371 ✭✭
    1- The SRK is identical to Ryu's?

2- Solar plexus strike (Ryu's f+HP) is still here?

3- The Super is someway different from Akuma's?
  • FailedOneFailedOne Really Dumb Luck.... Joined: Posts: 197
    1- The SRK is identical to Ryu's?

2- Solar plexus strike (Ryu's f+HP) is still here?

3- The Super is someway different from Akuma's?

1. No, from what i read he has less frames of invincibilty and his HP shoryu hits 3 times.

2. No, he loses that. Only regular ryu has it.

3. Dunno, haven't seen him use it much.
    SSFIV AE: Ryu, Gouken
    SFXT: Jin,Ryu
    PSN: MaxFailure XBL:FailedOneAgain
    1. No, from what i read he has less frames of invincibilty and his HP shoryu hits 3 times.

2. No, he loses that. Only regular ryu has it.

3. Dunno, haven't seen him use it much.

Actually, his SRK is practically identical to regular Ryu. MP and HP SRK hits 2 times and always knocksdown, even when the 2nd hit whiffs. No idea about invincibility though, although some say the HP SRK is just as good as the MP SRK. His EX SRK on the other hand is identical to Akuma's I think. That hits 3 times and does more damage, so probably 190 just like Akuma's.

No solar plexus anymore, which is too bad but not a big deal. As for Super, it looks identical. I've seen it used in a few videos and nobody has ever jumped out of it from point blank range, so I think it has a 1 frame start up just like Akuma's super demon.
  • Dont JumpDont Jump MVC3 was end of good FG's Joined: Posts: 1,486
    What ultra looks more viable at this point?

I would say U2, more damage
  • Dont JumpDont Jump MVC3 was end of good FG's Joined: Posts: 1,486
    I would say U2, more damage

That doesn't mean anything. Ibukis u1 does more damage and U2 is better and Ryus u2 does more damage but u1 is better. Damage is not the only variable that makes moves good.
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 230 ✭✭
    That doesn't mean anything. Ibukis u1 does more damage and U2 is better and Ryus u2 does more damage but u1 is better. Damage is not the only variable that makes moves good.

facepalm.jpg

yes but you can srk FADC or corner ex tatsu into both ultras for very similar damage...on the other hand if you happen to hit someone with Ultra as AA or after a focus crumple, U2 will do lots more damage

by. J.Scogz
    yes but you can srk FADC or corner ex tatsu into both ultras for very similar damage...on the other hand if you happen to hit someone with Ultra as AA or after a focus crumple, U2 will do lots more damage

It may not after all, since you get more damage with the animation. They didn't mention Evil Ryu's damage output from U1 when done at point blank or when full charged at point blank but we do know that Oni can do 450 with animation and Gouken can do 495 when fully charged. So if Evil Ryu's U1 does similar damage then unlike regular Ryu, his fireball Ultra can punish pretty hard after landing a focus attack, dizzy, or baiting something like a DP.

But with all that in mind it looks like both his Ultras are very viable. It's almost like a coin flip now as to which is the best to use rather then one definitely being better then the other. But all that is me assuming that his U1 with animation deals the same damage as Oni does with animation.

- All setup for Ultra 1 works for Ultra 2
    - More damage than Ultra 1
    - Easier to use as AA with Ultra 2 and gets full animation
    - Hado FADC to Ultra 2 scores full animation much easier than Ultra 1, since Ultra 1 you have to literally be point blank.
    - More lenient timing when use as a juggle as well
  • De4dEyEDe4dEyE Getting Higher. Joined: Posts: 1,905
    (EmphyNAPS on a friend's account)

When a full health Evil Ryu does SRK FADC to fully stocked Ultra 1 to another full health Evil Ryu, and when that Evil Ryu does SRK FADC to fully stocked Ultra 2 back, the Evil Ryu with Ultra 1 wins after time runs out, albeit by a slight amount. Tested and proven.

Advantages to Ultra 1:
    -possible to use in fireball wars
    -trade jab SRK to ultra much more accessible given the distance issue most of the time, useful if it's a match-up where trades happen often (e.g. dive kicks)
    -slightly more damage compared to non-cinematic Ultra 2, as noted above

Advantages to Ultra 2:
    -focus crumple to cinematic Ultra 2 does a lot (although usually, axe kick combos would do about just as much)
    -access to a powerful, albeit incredibly slow (read: must be directly looking for jump) anti-air
    -can also be used as a powerful answer when directly looking for anti-fireball moves that can't be done on reaction to your fireball (e.g. Fei Long's chicken wing)
    -access to EX Hadouken FADC cinematic Ultra 2

A few things about Ultra 2 that I am factually unsure of, but almost positive about:
    -can be used against EX Messiah Kick enders (although I haven't tried Ultra 2 yet, EX SRK has traded with the late flip kick before)
    -if the start-up is like Ryu's Ultra 2, I would assume that one hit air-to-air j.mp would lead to cinematic Ultra 2
    Have I.... given it everything I have...?

NOPE
    (EmphyNAPS on a friend's account)

When a full health Evil Ryu does SRK FADC to fully stocked Ultra 1 to another full health Evil Ryu, and when that Evil Ryu does SRK FADC to fully stocked Ultra 2 back, the Evil Ryu with Ultra 1 wins after time runs out, albeit by a slight amount. Tested and proven.

About this, any idea what the damage output is? Like SRK, FADC, U1 does 400 and with U2 it does 360. I guess Evil Ryu's Metsu Hadou does about the same damage as regular Ryu's from the looks of it. But that's great news about U2 partial damage. If the difference is pretty small between full U1 and partial U2 then I could definitely see U2 being the preferred Ultra for Evil Ryu since it punishes harder.

One more thing, I asked this from the last page and it still hasn't been answered. When you do a LK tatsu and reset with Jab, can you dash under? Evil Ryu's dash is pretty good so I think this might be possible.
    About this, any idea what the damage output is? Like SRK, FADC, U1 does 400 and with U2 it does 360. I guess Evil Ryu's Metsu Hadou does about the same damage as regular Ryu's from the looks of it. But that's great news about U2 partial damage. If the difference is pretty small between full U1 and partial U2 then I could definitely see U2 being the preferred Ultra for Evil Ryu since it punishes harder.

One more thing, I asked this from the last page and it still hasn't been answered. When you do a LK tatsu and reset with Jab, can you dash under? Evil Ryu's dash is pretty good so I think this might be possible.

I don't know, but during intense fights, you would pick practically more than those little 40 damage difference...well thats my opinion :P
    But I've got to say, when fighting against turtle characters, U2 should be a better choice, due to the invincibility and the arc the hitbox covers.
  • Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers beats by elena Joined: Posts: 1,548 mod
    I'm still not completely sure from watching some of the videos but does his ex axe kick work as an overhead?
  • xlxlxlxlxlxlxlxl Joined: Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭
    Yes, EX stomp is an overhead.
    I bet you don't remember me. I guess you won't forget the only way to go when there is nowhere left to roam.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    PSN ID: xlxlxlxl123
    Steam: xlxlxlxl123
    I'm still not completely sure from watching some of the videos but does his ex axe kick work as an overhead?

EX is overhead, some guy did it to me when I wasn't aware and was still crouch blocking
  • Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers beats by elena Joined: Posts: 1,548 mod
    Wow that sounds really cool! I have a few more small questions based on this.

Would you guys say ex axe kick is his best ex move?
    Does ex axe kick have invincible frames?
    Is he at any frame advantage/disadvantage on his axe kicks on block? (all versions)

I'm used to using Sakura's lk tatsu for pressure since its 0 on block (much like bison's lk scissors) and I was wondering if I could have a similar pressure style using one of E. Ryu's axe kicks.
  • DaFeetLeeDaFeetLee WOW Joined: Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭
    Wow that sounds really cool! I have a few more small questions based on this.

Would you guys say ex axe kick is his best ex move?
    Does ex axe kick have invincible frames?
    Is he at any frame advantage/disadvantage on his axe kicks on block? (all versions)

I'm used to using Sakura's lk tatsu for pressure since its 0 on block (much like bison's lk scissors) and I was wondering if I could have a similar pressure style using one of E. Ryu's axe kicks.

1. I think ex axe kick is a real good ex move. It gives untechable knockdown, it's fast as hell, and it can cancel from a long range c.mk.
    2. No it doesn't have invincible frames because I've been dp'd between the cancel from c.mk to ex axe kick.
    3. I'm pretty sure he's on frame disadvantage on all of them but I could be wrong. They're pretty hard to punish though.
    Twitter: @DaFeetLee || NY FGC || Go to Next Level you cheap bastards
    FG Blog || Youtube
    1. I think ex axe kick is a real good ex move. It gives untechable knockdown, it's fast as hell, and it can cancel from a long range c.mk.
    2. No it doesn't have invincible frames because I've been dp'd between the cancel from c.mk to ex axe kick.
    3. I'm pretty sure he's on frame disadvantage on all of them but I could be wrong. They're pretty hard to punish though.

Hmmm if its a plus on block I might troll someone with that ex axe kick to Ultra 2, been doing that with Yun's EX shoulder LOL
  • Ajtucker22Ajtucker22 Blue Lantern of Earth. Joined: Posts: 816
    I couldn't get the timing down for c.mp after mk axe kick. I could, how ever, get the timing down for c.lp. Does anyone know the difference in damage and whether or not it's worth it to learn c.mp for this combo? Also, is it possible to link c.lp into s.hp? To create a kind of loop? I was theory fighting about this the other day.

Could you do s.hp xx mk axe kick, c.lp xx hadouken FADC c.lp, s.hp, etc?
    Move fast and have hope.
  • DaFeetLeeDaFeetLee WOW Joined: Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't get the timing down for c.mp after mk axe kick. I could, how ever, get the timing down for c.lp. Does anyone know the difference in damage and whether or not it's worth it to learn c.mp for this combo? Also, is it possible to link c.lp into s.hp? To create a kind of loop? I was theory fighting about this the other day.

Could you do s.hp xx mk axe kick, c.lp xx hadouken FADC c.lp, s.hp, etc?

The link is pretty easy. After you see Ryu hit the ground with his foot, you plink mp~lp and you'll get it almost guaranteed. It becomes muscle memory if anything if you keep playing him.

Yes he can link c.lp into s.hp like Akuma can. I'm pretty sure he can't do c.lp hado but he can do s.hp xx mk axe kick c.mp hado fadc etc for some flashy combos.
    Twitter: @DaFeetLee || NY FGC || Go to Next Level you cheap bastards
    FG Blog || Youtube
  • HaikuWarHaikuWar The Best Looking Player EVER Joined: Posts: 2,094
    Hey Im about to try Ryu a little bit, I played Rufus,Akuma and Balrog before so any of the skills from these characters cross over well? I played E Ryu a little at SFSU and MGL but I was playing him like ryu. Whats his style like ? more Ryu or Akuma?
  • RedSuinitRedSuinit Joined: Posts: 57
    Neither really. He is pretty unique. If you are good at a close up pressure game, than E Ryu is a good player for you. I think he has top tier potential, but no one can experiemnt with him because the arcades are always serious business.
  • HaikuWarHaikuWar The Best Looking Player EVER Joined: Posts: 2,094
    Well my Mains have always been Rufus and Zero types, Close up in your face stuff. I mean at SFSU theres like no one there sometimes so free trials, I got to play Yang nonstop for 2 hours.
    Well my Mains have always been Rufus and Zero types, Close up in your face stuff. I mean at SFSU theres like no one there sometimes so free trials, I got to play Yang nonstop for 2 hours.

He's pretty much in your face character, most of his cancellable moves tends to be close or crouching.
    cr.mk been slower does limit his zoning/mid range game a bit and far range just the hadou.
    Getting in might not be that much of a problem with dive kick and f.mk.
    I pretty much play him like an in your face Akuma but more of dive kick pressure instead of fireball pressure.
  • otoriotori Keep calm and huehuehue Joined: Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Call me crazy, but E. Ryu's seems to play a lot more like Ken rather than Ryu or Akuma.