Chikara no Hadou: Evil Ryu Strategies & Match-up Thread

1234568»

Comments

• AudricVsFoodAudricVsFood Joined: Posts: 293
    Any advice on the Makoto matchup? if i get hit, its combo into reset, into stun. i get blown up by the command grab. any advice on the mindset i should take while entering the match? ways to bait the command grabs? option selects. etc. thanks! I noticed i can zone her for a little bit, but once she comes in with that momentum its over. oh, and reversal uppunch is 8 frames, how do i safe jump that? Im really new to this game so bare with me. coming here for help.

- Reset means you're neutral, meaning you can do whatever you want.
    - If they reset you then harass with a meaty or command grab, you can DP or backdash.
    - Command grabs are just like regular grabs in that you can only get grabbed if you're in a neutral state. If she is going for the command grab, you have several options, like: 1. neutral jump 2. diagonal jump 3. backdash 4. DP 5. mash a fast normal like cr.LP

I'm not really experienced in this matchup, but the things I listed are pretty universal for all characters.
    And most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.
  • RazielRaziel Joined: Posts: 31
    I've been looking for tech to use against Poison as I find the matchup really difficult, so far I've found that against eryu she can't get away with her standard fireball corner pressure. Most Poisons tend to do cr.mk into medium or heavy fireball in the corner to get the frame advantage and then mixup with overhead/low/frame traps and throw. You can press a button in between the cr.mk and fireball with most character to get a counter hit but if she does the light fireball its going to counterhit you instead which sucks so its a mixup. I found with eryu its never a mixup on the fireball because you can do stand mk in between and it beats or trades with all of them allowing him to shut down her corner pressure from the cr.mk, also cr.mk into ex fb is a true string too so you dont get hit - helped me a lot in the matchup
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,022
    Stance animations to block and properly punish Jab Hands from Decapre at certain unsafe ranges with reversal special moves:

Evil Ryu:
    Crouch block beginning string of hits from Jab Hands.
    Stand block final hit from Jab Hands.
    Jab/Strong/Fierce/EX DP will work.
    Punish examples:

Meterless
    Jab DP
    Strong DP (usually get 1-hit, not worth it)
    Fierce DP

1 Bar
    EX DP

2 Bars
    Fierce DP xx FADC, (Roundhouse Axe Kick)/(Ultra 1)/(Ultra 2)

3 Bars
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx Short Tatsumaki, (Jab DP)/(Fierce DP)
    EX DP (on 2nd hit) xx FADC, (Roundhouse Axe Kick)/(Ultra 1)/(Ultra 2)

4 Bars
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx Short Tatsumaki, EX DP
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx EX Tatsumaki
    Super
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • DonflorisDonfloris Joined: Posts: 90
    edited January 2015
    AceKombat wrote: »
    Stance animations to block and properly punish Jab Hands from Decapre at certain unsafe ranges with reversal special moves:

Evil Ryu:
    Crouch block beginning string of hits from Jab Hands.
    Stand block final hit from Jab Hands.
    Jab/Strong/Fierce/EX DP will work.
    Punish examples:

Meterless
    Jab DP
    Strong DP (usually get 1-hit, not worth it)
    Fierce DP

1 Bar
    EX DP

2 Bars
    Fierce DP xx FADC, (Roundhouse Axe Kick)/(Ultra 1)/(Ultra 2)

3 Bars
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx Short Tatsumaki, (Jab DP)/(Fierce DP)
    EX DP (on 2nd hit) xx FADC, (Roundhouse Axe Kick)/(Ultra 1)/(Ultra 2)

4 Bars
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx Short Tatsumaki, EX DP
    EX DP (on 1st hit) xx FADC, Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx EX Tatsumaki
    Super

Thnx for the write, will definitely be using this.

Quick note on the 4 bars combo:
    Its easier to do EX DP (on 1st hit) xx Red Focus Attack, *Cl.St.Strong xx Strong Axe Kick, (St.Jab)/(Cr.Jab) xx Short Tatsumaki, (Jab DP)/(Fierce DP)

*can exchange for cr.mp, st.hp (if you have the execution).

Again thnx!!
    PS3: DonFloris
    PC: Daddy-Sensei
  • JamesChappellJamesChappell The Alaskan Bear Joined: Posts: 39
    The best way to beat Claw's wall dive is a well timed forward jump MP. Very optimal, and fast enough to beat an Izuna drop.
    PSN: MagSensei
    meep
  • DannkkDannkk Joined: Posts: 1,761
    edited February 2015
    The best way to beat Claw's wall dive is a well timed forward jump MP. Very optimal, and fast enough to beat an Izuna drop.

False. He'll grab you out of that. There's a lot you can do. Jump back hk or neutral jump hp/hk. C.hp. He can grab you out of all of those, though. Best way to beat it is with a crouching dragon punch. He can't grab you because you're invincible. I'm sure you've tried to and been all "whoa, this is hard. I time it wrong or he baits me." The way to do it is to mash down back to down forward when you see him go up at the wall. Then you just press mp if he gets close enough.
    Bombing for peace is like f%@&;ing for virginity. - bumper sticker
    My Mods - http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/Dannkk/Dual%20Mods/
    Dannkk wrote: »

False. He'll grab you out of that. There's a lot you can do. Jump back hk or neutral jump hp/hk. C.hp. He can grab you out of all of those, though. Best way to beat it is with a crouching dragon punch. He can't grab you because you're invincible. I'm sure you've tried to and been all "whoa, this is hard. I time it wrong or he baits me." The way to do it is to mash down back to down forward when you see him go up at the wall. Then you just press mp if he gets close enough.

I've always found that move very weird to counter. It's all just timing subtleties, I'm certain. I usually don't encounter any good Vega players who spam that move, anyways. The move itself isn't very hard to beat since it's so telegraphed.
  • -Cross--Cross- Body ga...amee ze! Joined: Posts: 271
    Any tips for Vs Bison? Having a hard time competing with his HK and MK
    -Cross- wrote: »
    Any tips for Vs Bison? Having a hard time competing with his HK and MK

You can use st.MK, st.MP, and st.MK are good pokes to compete with his st.MK and st.HK. Also, if you're sure he doesn't have charge, just throw fireballs.

I know what you mean, though. It feels almost impossible to whiff punish his st.MK sometimes, especially if I'm trying to land my low forward.
  • -Cross--Cross- Body ga...amee ze! Joined: Posts: 271
    I normally win the matchup by getting in once or twice and abusing his defense with reads, but I generally lose the neutral which I think I could be playing MUCH better. There aren't very many videos of the top players playing against him either which makes it harder
    Any tips on the Hakan matchup?
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,022
    Any tips on the Hakan matchup?

When Hakan's meterless and oiled up, it's ok to zone as long as he's not mid-range to focus attack and dash normal into a slide. Although, you don't want him to build more oil, so be aggressive at this. Hakan's are likely to be "focus-happy" when oiled up... you should have Low Forward xx Tatsu ready, use Target Combo, or use Forward Axe Kick against focus attacks and apply CH combos from it (Low Fierce usually works as long as you are not too far away. Also, his U1 can punish Forward Axe Kick far away when oiled, and a short distance without oil).

Do not throw fireballs far away or at wrong times when he's oiled up and has at least 1 bar. He will punish it will EX Oil Slide very likely. His super also punishes fireballs btw.

Play smart in neutral, you don't want to have your Low Forward whiff punished by his Toward Short xx Oil Slide. The momentum shift is not fun. St.Fierce and St.Forward will be good against that, but the question is if the Hakan will be looking for those. Almost every normal is useful as long as you predict and react on the expected.

I haven't tested Oil Slide mix-ups much. If there are unblockables, use your method of choice to avoid it (I prefer QCF method). Otherwise most setups afaik are ambiguous to where you can't DP anti-air them.

Without oil, GET IN! You might have to watch-out for EX SPD and U1, otherwise, you don't want him to oil back up. Oil obviously makes him even more of a threat.

For the Oil Dive gimmick resets you can Cr.Jab, Teleport (make sure to use away+KKK to punish accordingly, *look below for options*), Jab DP, Ultra, and more to get out of the reset situation.

*Some ways to punish on follow-up includes:
    • Ultra II
    • Cl.St.Fierce xx Axe Kick... etc.
    • (Might be strict) Walk up Cr.Strong, Cl.St.Fierce xx Forward Axe Kick... etc.

Risky for Hakan, but I would also watch out for doing Hop Kicks at bad times if he has U2. It's possible for him to U2 it since you are airborne around 5th frame and onwards.

Once you give Hakan a run for his oil, you will take your lit cigar out of your mouth, turn your head to the camera, and say: http://giant.gfycat.com/InnocentBitterIsabellineshrike.gif
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
    AceKombat wrote: »
    snip

Lol! Thank you!
  • RammaRamma Team Blockstring Joined: Posts: 1,511
    I'm having a hell of a time with Zangief using Evil Ryu.

Not only do I play Gief, but I have less/no trouble taking on Gief with other characters I play.

It's like I don't know quite where to be in terms of spacing, and more times than not he makes his way in. How does Evil Ryu tackle this match?
    PSN/XBL: RammaCricket | CFN: BS_Ramma
    SFV: Cammy/Necalli | Fun Subs: Ryu, Alex, Gief
    USFIV: Cody | Alt: Zangief
    I'll try again :wink:

Do we have a list of who st. HP xx MK Axe > st. MK works on mid-screen (and corner only)?
    Ramma wrote: »
    I'll try again :wink:

Do we have a list of who st. HP xx MK Axe > st. MK works on mid-screen (and corner only)?

I believe it only works on Seth, Abel, and Poison. :P
  • vLucifervLucifer Joined: Posts: 25
    edited April 2015
    St.HP+M.Axe > St.Mk works on Abel, poison, Seth. Close.Mp+M.Axe > Mk works on Abel, El fuerte, rose, gouken, dhalsim, poison, & Seth.
    Post edited by vLucifer on
    "I Am No Longer Subject To Such Weakness!

XBL: Solar Breezy/Sonneiiion
    PSN:Lucifer___v
    AE/USFIV: Evil Ryu,Oni,Akuma
    SF X T: Kazuya, Law, Jin, Akuma
    YouTube:Mark Major
    vLucifer wrote: »
    St.HP+M.Axe > St.Mk works on Abel, poison, Seth. Close.Mp+M.Axe works on Abel, El fuerte, rose, gouken, dhalsim, poison, & Seth.

I think cl.MP to MK Axe Kick works on all characters.
    In the Gouken match, what are some tricks and tips for approaching Gouken. I have a difficult time making my way in.

It's kind of shame on me, because coming from a Cody background, the Gouken match-up was the easiest, so I never really had to study the match too hard.

Any tips/tricks/dos/don'ts for Sheng Long?
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 820
    So Daigo barely lost to Strider's Abel at CEO and I'm pissed because Abel is such a cheap piece of shit 50/50 mix up characters like that take no skill not to mention he has option selects for literally everything. Can't wait for SF5 no abel and no more option selects! Anyway I noticed Daigo wasn't using any of the shit he did against Shiro's Abel who he faced earlier. Daigo would jump in with lp which beats Abel's anti air and he would also punish step kick with close mp into a combo. He didn't do any of those things at CEO anyone know why those seem like good tech vs. that bullshit character.
    SF09ers wrote: »
    So Daigo barely lost to Strider's Abel at CEO and I'm pissed because Abel is such a cheap piece of shit 50/50 mix up characters like that take no skill not to mention he has option selects for literally everything. Can't wait for SF5 no abel and no more option selects! Anyway I noticed Daigo wasn't using any of the shit he did against Shiro's Abel who he faced earlier. Daigo would jump in with lp which beats Abel's anti air and he would also punish step kick with close mp into a combo. He didn't do any of those things at CEO anyone know why those seem like good tech vs. that bullshit character.

Abel only has one or two footsie tools. He can't mix you up unless you let him in in the first place.
  • DragonMetsuDragonMetsu twitch.tv/dragonmetsu Joined: Posts: 22
    Is there by any chance a go to punish for Bison's EX Psycho Crusher? Maybe one for right in your face on wake-up and one a little further back on block?
    Is there by any chance a go to punish for Bison's EX Psycho Crusher? Maybe one for right in your face on wake-up and one a little further back on block?

If the Bison player is using it right, then no. It's a free wakeup for Bison. You can beat it with an EX Tatsu on his wakeup. I just don't think it's worth the meter, though.

The thing is, if Bison is losing and he does a wakeup EX Psycho, he has to work his way back in against you, without charge and with one less meter. If he's winning, well then he still has one less meter.

If you're a little further back and he decides to EX Psycho, you can punish it with sweep. Good Bison players won't use it on wakeup at this range, though.

Technically, EX Psycho is -16 on block, shit just travels really far.
  • mrtom82mrtom82 Joined: Posts: 138

I've been able to catch him with an autocorrect hk tatsu If he does it point blank on wakeup. As soon as he starts passing through you do df hk, by the time you finish the input and the tatsu starts you're facing the other way and the tatsu chases him.
  • Daniel LMDaniel LM Joined: Posts: 5
    An advice on Abel match up: Forget about kara demons, it doesn't work on him :'(
    https://youtu.be/cOJmdV0sEhs

• Time pantsTime pants Maybe Evil Ryu is just misunderstood? Joined: Posts: 446
    SF09ers wrote: »

I know I'm way late to the party here, but I'm astounded by anyone saying Abel, of all characters, takes no skill. That dude is a fucking NIGHTMARE to try and use at any level. Abel takes no skill?

Man, I've got to get off the Internet. Between this site and Rule 34, I have now officially seen everything.
  • YouScaredNoobYouScaredNoob Joined: Posts: 148
    Hey fellow eryunites!

Lovely day isn't it?

Anyways I was vsing my mate who uses Fei Long and I found out just how much mileage you can get out of cr.hp on Fei for whiff punishing.

So when Fei Long rekkas and it whiffs just do cr.hp into bnb and it will always connect from max distance..

367 damage for a whiff punish? Sounds awesome!
  • PRBryanDPRBryanD Joined: Posts: 2
    So what exactly happen to this match up thread nothing is up on the first page.. or am i missing something?
    PRBryanD wrote: »
    So what exactly happen to this match up thread nothing is up on the first page.. or am i missing something?

Lol a lot of the character matchup threads are like that, tbh.
  • PRBryanDPRBryanD Joined: Posts: 2
    ahh I got you bro. guess ill just start hunting down info and making my own matchup chart.
  • YouScaredNoobYouScaredNoob Joined: Posts: 148
    Can we talk about MU again?

Any advice for Fei, Ryu and Ken? These three give me most trouble against Evil.. what do guys?
    Can we talk about MU again?

Any advice for Fei, Ryu and Ken? These three give me most trouble against Evil.. what do guys?

I'm just going to copy and paste from my own personal notes.

FEI LONG

* Don't jump. Expect chick wang.
    * E. Ryu's slow but long range normals make him strong on offense when you can control the spacing but weak on defense when your opponent is controlling the spacing. Try to use your fireball to maintain Fei's respect in the neutral so you can jockey for a better position to use your normals in. Cr.MK is great as a tool but don't lean on it too much or else you'll get predictable and eat a baited whiff punish.

Focus is good against random rekkas. If you catch your opponent trying to frame trap you with rekkas constantly you can focus in the gap to punish them there too off a good read.

Bait and whiff punish Fei's cr.HP with your solid walk speed and excellent cr.MK range. E. Ryu's hop kick probably goes over those low attacks too, not a bad choice if you have a good feel for their habits.

Once you get the life lead remember to back off and make him work for it but don't play too passive or he'll walk all over your slow buttons.

If you get pushed to a corner just block him out. Those slow normals are ass on defense when you can't go anywhere. Be patient. Evil's just gotta bop Fei two or three times with a solid FADC combo, so playing a strong neutral, having patience, and building meter for full punishes will pay off more than a hair brain button you nervously mash in the corner.
    * Do stand jab after fei blocks a fireball. Will stuff rekkas.
    * Jabs have great priority, but chicken wing itself has pretty shitty priority overall. Any anti air will likely stuff it. Try it out in training mode.
    * I'm not too sure how this match up is but I feel like it's even ish. Fei Long's strength lies in his excellent neutral game and whiff punishing. Do not whiff anything in front of him ever otherwise you will eat c.hp or rekka. Do not fuck with EX rekka or you will die. LP rekka is -5 on block so you need to punish every badly spaced one hard. If you focus a rekka, immediately let it go and you should crumple him, any delay and you die. Careful on your fireballs because the recovery sucks and he can jump in and hurt you or ex chicken wing. He also has an extremely versatile c.mp which can lead to big damage on counterhit and stuff. Your sweep will probably get rekka'd all day on block or whiff. Jumping is hard because he will dp you all the time. His focus is amazing too so be careful about that. I feel like areas where ERyu can capitalize on Fei Long is after a knockdown or a whiff punish since his damage does outclass Fei's by a decent margin. Fei has always been weaker to mixup. Surprisingly he is weak to like mid range focus as he doesn't have too many armor break. Don't focus in range of jab to jab rekka though. Your main strategy will most likely be fighting in his strong neutral game and capitalizing on as much damage as you can on a confirmed c.mk or mixing him up on knockdown.

RYU

* Ryu can Ultra 1 through Evil Ryu's fireball
    * Ryu can sweep punish Evil Ryu's cr.MK, Fireball when Ryu is in the corner.
    * Punish misspaced sweeps with low forward, DP or LK Axe Kick FADC combo or while you're cornered.
    * Focus dash through fireball, cr.LP, st.MP. If cl.MP comes out, MK Axe Kick. If st.MP comes out, LK Tatsu or LK Axe Kick FADC combo. Choose which axe kick on reaction.

KEN

* Stay out of Ken's step kick range and whiff punish everything.

Kind of broad advice against the shotos but you weren't really specific on what was giving you trouble. If you have any other questions, I'm willing to give a more extensive breakdown on the matchups.
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    For Ryu use St.MK it will go over cr.MK

Ken is a little more tricky but I have found his fireball and AA game significantly easier to deal with than Ryu. It's mostly staying out of Kara range.

Standing HP can counterhit step kicks causing a knock down.

Try to keep one back for EX fireball.
1234568»