Evil Ryu General Discussion: Same Ryu, but now he's pissed!

Tatsumaki_12Tatsumaki_12 Joined: Posts: 312
Let's get into it with this guy. General talky talk that doesn't really need its own thread. I've quoted a few early notes on the character.
Hello, this is EmphyNAPS on a friend's account, and after five weeks of playing Evil Ryu, here are my thoughts and findings:

-Evil Ryu's hadouken is very slightly quicker in either start-up or recovery, compared to Ryu.

-While cr. mk is not as quick or as low as the other shotos, the trade-off is the fact that it moves Evil Ryu forward. This means that cr. mk cancelled to hadouken will jail more on block, and will never fail to combo on hit no matter what the range of the initial cr. mk.

-I don't know who reported it first, but axe kick is not qcf+k. It's hcf+k.

-Although EX shoryu doesn't have as much invincibility as Ryu's or Akuma's, it seems to still have more invincibility than all of Evil Ryu's other shoryus (maybe as much invincibility as Ken's, or less)

-Jab shoryu to Ultra 1 without FADC definitely does not work (not even in the corner). However, it kinda goes without saying that any instance where Ryu can do Jab Shoryu to Ultra 1, Evil Ryu can as well (AE Ryu specifically, meaning if you trade with it as an anti-air, Ultra 1 is possible given the right range/trade).

-Speaking of Ryu's shoryu, Evil Ryu's jab shoryu can combo into medium shoryu in the corner for extra meter.

-As DTC mentioned, cross up air tatsu will float an opponent if they are airborne (usually only happens when the opponent tries to anti-air with a shoryu type of move and goes the wrong way). However, the extent of which is not exactly like Akuma. The opponent is put in a juggle state more along the lines of shoryu FADC. For example, if a medium shoryu is done immediately after, only the second hit will connect. You can even land Ultra 1 for all 8 hits!

-After extensive testing, I can confirm that after lk tatsu connects, Evil Ryu can only sweep five characters: Dee Jay, Boxer, Rose, Cammy, and Dhalsim.

-By now, most people have heard of the infamous no meter punish combo: something into medium axe kick, cr. mp, lk tatsu, shoryu. However, lk tatsu will whiff on Rufus and Blanka, presumably because of the way their hitboxes get when they get hit by cr. mp. Luckily, cr. mp can be replaced by cr. lp or cr. lk to connect the lk tatsu after.

-Medium axe kick only combos from four normals: close st. mp, close st. hp, cr. hp, and counter hit cr. mk.

-Whoever said that axe kick could not be comboed off of after FADC was incorrect. Medium axe kick FADC close st. mp is the best option.

An idea of Evil Ryu's frame data (needs more testing):
-cr. mk is 7 frame start-up
-cr. hk is 7 frame start-up
Ultra 2 is 9 frame start-up
(EmphyNAPS posting on a friend's account)
"Axe Kick (Wheel Kick): Guard crush, LK version is safe on block, MK version can combo into low strong / low jab > anything but not safe on block and HK version is ridiculously slow and I don?t see a use for it yet?."

Again, LK version is most definitely NOT safe on block (-7). In fact, he has it backwards. MK version is the safer one, which is -2 on block (can be punished by SPD, Chun super, etc.) HK version can be used as a ghetto frame-trap, because it is +1~+2 on block. A more legit use of HK version would be after focus crumple back dash for a more damaging untechable knockdown compared to sweep (please note that only HK and EX versions of axe kick give untechable knockdowns).

"Ex Version: Same speed and safe on block like Lk version?s except it?s an overhead. " (in regards to EX axe kick)

EX version is also unsafe. It is -4 on block.

I probably have forgotten some other things, so I will edit this post if I did.
He has:
- strong fireball zoning game,
- plus ridiculous close up damage with very little or no meter,
- he can apply non fireball pressure from air and the ground,
- cr. mk XX fb is a true combo not to mention the pressure you can apply with it,
- has 2 overheads, fast dash,
- long focus range,
- strong footsie game,
- teleport,
- ultra 1 and 2 can be comboed easy(seems easy anyways),
- antiair game is strong,
- runaway game is strong.

Justified?? hell yeah!!! This character sounds bullshit on paper. Might be a diff story in practice. But from my POV completely BS character. Hopefully his execution is hard.

Comments

• mowrmowr B-L-A-C-K ✝ S-A-B-B-A-T-H Joined: Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭
    Evil Ryu's rival battle is Sakura. Here are the transcripts:

Sakura: *Approaching Evil Ryu* Ryu-san! I've been looking everywhere for you! ... Hey, you don't look so good!
    Evil Ryu: *Turning to face Sakura* .... *Menacing gaze*
    Sakura: What's with that look...?!

The battle commences, and upon victory you are treated to a short animation of Evil Ryu raping Sakura to death, before eating her alive.
    Nothing is good anymore.
  • FU RobertFU Robert Joined: Posts: 34
    evil ryu's rival battle is sakura. Here are the transcripts:

Sakura: *approaching evil ryu* ryu-san! I've been looking everywhere for you! ... Hey, you don't look so good!
    Evil ryu: *turning to face sakura* .... *menacing gaze*
    sakura: What's with that look...?!

The battle commences, and upon victory you are treated to a short animation of evil ryu raping sakura to death, before eating her alive.

lies! Xddd
  • ForbiddenoneForbiddenone Can't Demon Flip Joined: Posts: 154
    More likely Evil Ryu stops halfway and realizes that Sakura is like Bridget from Guilty Gear, vomits uncontrollably, and then starts dating Kei Chitose, an actual girl.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    His rival scene will probably be Sagat, with a 2nd rival possibly being Akuma.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • ForbiddenoneForbiddenone Can't Demon Flip Joined: Posts: 154
    I actually want him to have one with Sakura, so she can see her idol has feet of clay. Or maybe Dan, to scare him straight.

:P.
  • xlxlxlxlxlxlxlxl Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    His rival will be normal Ryu in a battle within his mind.
    I bet you don't remember me. I guess you won't forget the only way to go when there is nowhere left to roam.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    PSN ID: xlxlxlxl123
    Steam: xlxlxlxl123
    Oooh, deep.
    Nothing is good anymore.
  • KenshiroKenshiro Rich Joined: Posts: 128
    His rival is Gouken, real talk...same with Oni. But there's no special rival scene, just Gouken's normal intro.
    ggpo tag: Kenshiro
  • KenshiroKenshiro Rich Joined: Posts: 128
    Something I've noticed about E. Ryu's Ultra I - it seems to have much faster startup than regular Ryu's U1. It can also be charged by holding down punches, but it can't be charged for as long as Gouken's Denjin. It might get a damage boost if you charge it, but I didn't notice any other special properties...no wall bounce, etc... Maybe it produces some stun? Who knows.
    ggpo tag: Kenshiro
  • JoelSykoJoelSyko Be Like Water ...... Joined: Posts: 110
    anyone have any up to date videos, i mean like from yesterday or day before, not weeks ago ? Wanna see some fresh Evil Ryu videos. Maybe there should be an Evil Ryu Videos Thread.
    Every Match Is Just More Practice.
    There's Always Something To Be Learned Afterward.
  • DTCDTC Temporary Retired SSFIV:AE Player Joined: Posts: 68
    Little notes from playing Evil Ryu.

Dive Kick: Theres a short delay in momentum in mid air before the dive kick comes out. (Similar to demon flip Dive kick from Akuma) Stun is a bit more or similar to Akuma's one but still relatively unsafe when hitting at certain areas. Eg. Tried to crouch LP follow up after dive kick on hit on Sagat's stomach, but still got Tiger Uppercutted. Could have been a +0 to +2 on hit at that region.

Air Hurricane Kick: Hitting a grounded opponent will knock him faraway like Ryu's air hurricane kick. But hitting an opponent in the air will cause it to drop like Akuma's version and allows follow ups.

Teleport: I would say it has same startup and ending frames as Akuma's, but only the speed it travels is very slow.

Ultra 1: Fireball, qcfx2 + 3P delay able via charge, but don't expect it to be like Gouken's Denjin as the charge is brief and I don't think it gives any damage buff for charging.

Honestly to me I think he reminds me more of 3rd Strike Akuma especially with his Target Combo and very useless Teleport...
  • 3rd strike3rd strike JAV 大好きです Joined: Posts: 428
    yellow
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
  • De4dEyEDe4dEyE Getting Higher. Joined: Posts: 1,905
    Hello, this is EmphyNAPS on a friend's account, and after five weeks of playing Evil Ryu, here are my thoughts and findings:

-Evil Ryu's hadouken is very slightly quicker in either start-up or recovery, compared to Ryu.

-While cr. mk is not as quick or as low as the other shotos, the trade-off is the fact that it moves Evil Ryu forward. This means that cr. mk cancelled to hadouken will jail more on block, and will never fail to combo on hit no matter what the range of the initial cr. mk.

-I don't know who reported it first, but axe kick is not qcf+k. It's hcf+k.

-Although EX shoryu doesn't have as much invincibility as Ryu's or Akuma's, it seems to still have more invincibility than all of Evil Ryu's other shoryus (maybe as much invincibility as Ken's, or less)

-Jab shoryu to Ultra 1 without FADC definitely does not work (not even in the corner). However, it kinda goes without saying that any instance where Ryu can do Jab Shoryu to Ultra 1, Evil Ryu can as well (AE Ryu specifically, meaning if you trade with it as an anti-air, Ultra 1 is possible given the right range/trade).

-Speaking of Ryu's shoryu, Evil Ryu's jab shoryu can combo into medium shoryu in the corner for extra meter.

-As DTC mentioned, cross up air tatsu will float an opponent if they are airborne (usually only happens when the opponent tries to anti-air with a shoryu type of move and goes the wrong way). However, the extent of which is not exactly like Akuma. The opponent is put in a juggle state more along the lines of shoryu FADC. For example, if a medium shoryu is done immediately after, only the second hit will connect. You can even land Ultra 1 for all 8 hits!

-After extensive testing, I can confirm that after lk tatsu connects, Evil Ryu can only sweep five characters: Dee Jay, Boxer, Rose, Cammy, and Dhalsim.

-By now, most people have heard of the infamous no meter punish combo: something into medium axe kick, cr. mp, lk tatsu, shoryu. However, lk tatsu will whiff on Rufus and Blanka, presumably because of the way their hitboxes get when they get hit by cr. mp. Luckily, cr. mp can be replaced by cr. lp or cr. lk to connect the lk tatsu after.

-Medium axe kick only combos from four normals: close st. mp, close st. hp, cr. hp, and counter hit cr. mk.

-Whoever said that axe kick could not be comboed off of after FADC was incorrect. Medium axe kick FADC close st. mp is the best option.

An idea of Evil Ryu's frame data (needs more testing):
    -cr. mk is 7 frame start-up
    -cr. hk is 8 frame start-up at best, and is -12 at worst (able to block reversal EX green hand from Zangief)
    -Medium axe kick is +4 on hit, making cr. mp a 1 frame link
    -lk axe kick is -5 on block at best
    -Medium axe kick is -2 at worst
    -EX axe kick is -3 at best

I probably have forgotten some other things, so I will edit this post if I did.
    Have I.... given it everything I have...?

NOPE
    I remember reading some where someone claimed forward j.mp into U1 is not possible, but tested today and it guaranteed.
    You can also follow up a forward j.mp with heavy shoryu if you don't have meter.
  • RoyalPhlushRoyalPhlush The End... Joined: Posts: 240
    I havent played AE yet but Ryus my main on SSF4. I just wanna know some opinions from the people who got to play Evil Ryu a decent amount of time like De4dEye or DTC...

Would you rather play as Ryu or Evil Ryu and also which Ryu do you feel is better overall? Does he get stunned easier and take more damage as well? Also thanks for the good info so far!
    Omega Versus Crew

Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing.
    - Vince Lombardi

www.Facebook.com/RoyalPhlush
    I don't really know, I would say its the person's playing style.
    Stamina and Stun wise, Evil Ryu will definitely lose to Ryu, so you can say Evil Ryu is not one of those character you can just pick up play and take risk, especially his shoryuken doesn't have invinc without spending an EX. But to make up for that Evil Ryu is given a very powerful combo damage capability without meter.

So I would say if you're those player who tends to make mistakes, stick with Ryu, since the invinc on shoryu, average stamina and stun would give him a bigger margin for mistakes.

But if you're confident in your skills in Ryu and go for Evil Ryu, he is somewhat stronger, especially when you have meter, with one meter, you help Evil Ryu gain that invinc back in his shoryu, so you kinda have Ryu's ground game and strong anti-air back.
  • AnnihilationscapeAnnihilationscape The World Warrior Joined: Posts: 708
    But if you're confident in your skills in Ryu and go for Evil Ryu, he is somewhat stronger, especially when you have meter, with one meter, you help Evil Ryu gain that invinc back in his shoryu, so you kinda have Ryu's ground game and strong anti-air back.

Great info, thanks! One thing I've been wondering: how is Evil Ryu's meter gain? Have you noticed he builds meter quickly, average, or slowly? This could be a big factor in how often people would want to use his EX meter for that invincibility.
    "Your moves are weak and your style is a joke! What were you thinking?!"
    - Ken Masters
  • Nitro263Nitro263 Slappin' Fools Joined: Posts: 1,060
    Evil Ryu's Fierce SRK has about as much invul as Ryu's Medium SRK. I personally never use EX SRK for the invul when a well timed Fierce works fine.
    "having aduken is advantageous, using aduken is chicken, and abusing aduken is winning." -brucelee-kid
    "Winning is what the game is about and if I lose at least I have chicken." -JD inc.
    Evil Ryu's Fierce SRK has about as much invul as Ryu's Medium SRK. I personally never use EX SRK for the invul when a well timed Fierce works fine.

Timing is much more strict, most of the time I get trades or beaten. Think I'm use to thinking his Shoryu are like Ryu or Akuma :rofl:
    Great info, thanks! One thing I've been wondering: how is Evil Ryu's meter gain? Have you noticed he builds meter quickly, average, or slowly? This could be a big factor in how often people would want to use his EX meter for that invincibility.

Can't really give you an accurate answer to that til I get a chance to test try him again and notice it, since I'm use to ignore the meter til I actually need it I would take a glimpse on how many I have.
  • CI581CI581 Joined: Posts: 3,281
    I want to play Evil Ryu to see the crazy ultras.
  • De4dEyEDe4dEyE Getting Higher. Joined: Posts: 1,905
    (EmphyNAPS under a friend's account)

As Nitro263 said, I can confirm that Evil Ryu's fierce shoryu has more invincibility than Ryu's, and is definitely comparable to strong shoryu (tested by having Ryu neutral jump strong, which trades against Ryu's fierce shoryu, but loses to Evil Ryu's fierce shoryu).

Speaking of shoryus, I've noticed that the first hit of EX shoryu does not knock down, so in the instance you clip a limb with it, you're probably going to land and die.

Edit: Random side note, I've found that for some unknown reason, Evil Ryu can rapid fire a low short to a close stand short, and then CANCEL from it. Ryu can't do anything off of his, Ken and Akuma can link after theirs, but Evil Ryu can literally cancel into a special move straight from this rapid fire chain.
    Have I.... given it everything I have...?

NOPE
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭
    Unless Evil Ryu's Metsu Hado does a lot more damage then every other projectile ultra we've seen, I think Metsu SRK may be the one to go with.

If you check that out, Evil Ryu's does SRK, FADC, partial U2 for about 300 damage on Oni(who is said to have 950 health according to early estimates). What's interesting is that it's only about 70% full, so a full U2 would probably lead to 350+ damage. So if you take all that into consideration, Evil Ryu can not only deal more damage with U2 off a focus attack or punish opportunity, but he can get full U2 from EX hado, FADC, and probably do almost the same damage as he can with U1 off a SRK, FADC opportunity.

For you guys who are playing the game. Do you have any thoughts on which Ultra is the preferred Ultra for Evil Ryu?
  • CI581CI581 Joined: Posts: 3,281
    I think that I would choose U2 over U1.
  • DooplissDoopliss T.Rawk Joined: Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭
    On a different note, what do you suppose the actual name for the new stomp move is? In the movelist, it's called "???".

The first one means dragon (pronounced ryuu or tatsu), it's the same one that's first in tatsumaki senpukyaku.
    The second one apparently means claw, talon or similar (pronounced tsume).
    The 3rd one means leg (pronounced ashi or kyaku), used as the last kanji in tatsumaki senpukyaku.

Based on this, I guess the move is called "Ryutsumekyaku"? I guess it could also be "Tatsu Tsumekyaku" for all I know.
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Gotta Patch 'Em All!" an USFIV Old Character Combo Video
  • Mr ListMr List Lord of the Scrubs Joined: Posts: 1,388
    dragon stomp is what i will call it from now on i think.
    Hey hey let's go kenka suru , Taisetsu no mono protect my balls! Boku ga warui so let's fighting...
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
    I don't know about you guys, but seeing that gaping hole in Ryu's chest always makes me cringe. Can't blame him though; if someone punched a hole through my torso all the way through to my back, I'd be pissed off too.
  • SUPARNOVAXSUPARNOVAX 必殺技 Joined: Posts: 5,245
    j.d+mk is like -2, -3 frame on block. Got counter hit out of c.LK by Bison c.LP (4f) so it's somewhere along those lines.
    "Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that something is wrong in my doing; it is a path leading to success and truth." ~ Bruce Lee
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 231 ✭✭
    j.d+mk is like -2, -3 frame on block. Got counter hit out of c.LK by Bison c.LP (4f) so it's somewhere along those lines.

The +/- frames of an air move is completely variable based on how high up you hit, so this is a pretty meaningless post. Like other dive kicks, it will likely go anywhere from leaving you + on block if you hit them low enough, to being punishable even on hit if you hit a tall character high enough.
  • darkblade-0darkblade-0 Joined: Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what his theme sounds like?
  • darkblade-0darkblade-0 Joined: Posts: 9

Thanks. It sounds like a mash up of Ryu's and Akuma's theme.
  • RoyalPhlushRoyalPhlush The End... Joined: Posts: 240
    I don't really know, I would say its the person's playing style.
    Stamina and Stun wise, Evil Ryu will definitely lose to Ryu, so you can say Evil Ryu is not one of those character you can just pick up play and take risk, especially his shoryuken doesn't have invinc without spending an EX. But to make up for that Evil Ryu is given a very powerful combo damage capability without meter.

So I would say if you're those player who tends to make mistakes, stick with Ryu, since the invinc on shoryu, average stamina and stun would give him a bigger margin for mistakes.

Thanks for the useful info man looks like Ill be goin with Evil Ryu most likely then...
    dragon stomp is what i will call it from now on i think.

Lol THIS!
    Omega Versus Crew

Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing.
    - Vince Lombardi

www.Facebook.com/RoyalPhlush
  • BlackHole85BlackHole85 Joined: Posts: 14
    E.Ryu's Hp shoryuken is way better than Ryu's. I would say it's similar if not identical to Ryu mp shoryuken in super but with a little bit more forward range. You don't need an ex bar to have a reliable anti-air at all
    Anyone know how much hp he has?
  • BloodcraveBloodcrave Joined: Posts: 69
    i'll try to translate the relevant infos from the dev commentary

-hp and stun is same with gouki
    -his normals that can be cancelled and supercancelled are the same with ryu
    -his crouching mk is 7 frames, and has longer reach than ryu's crouching mk
    -his new kick normal (called senpukyaku, it mentions something about similar to the one in the SF zero series) leaves you at disadvantage on block
    -on his super, it says something about the new kick normal (i think ?????? means if used together with) will be a powerful strategy
    -his metsu hadou ultra, if you charge it all the way it will deal more damage
    -still on his metsu hadou, if you full charge and you did this point blank on the oppponent it will deal even more damage
    -boss version of evil ryu will have different capabilities
    interesting note, his new kick move is called ryusoukyaku, which basically means dragon claw kick, the DS is a really close guess
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to know that for sure now about Evil Ryu's Ultra 1. That makes it a more tough to choose to between the two. Besides doing big damage off punish opportunities, U2's partial damage is also pretty good.

But since Evil Ryu's dash is so fast, you can start up Ultra 1 very early and charge it up a bit before releasing. With a bit of charge time, it should do a little more damage then Ryu's Metsu Hadoken. Both will probably have there pros and cons, but from the sound of it, both will probably be very viable.
  • Blake&WhiteBlake&White keepin' it stylish Joined: Posts: 2,096
    Senpukyaku most likely refers to his hopkick. Using it together with his super probably means kara-canceling it into the super to increase its range.
    MAGNETO! WELCOME TO DIE
  • BloodcraveBloodcrave Joined: Posts: 69
    the problem is, that dev commentary mentioned the extra damage from ultra 1 comes out if you full charge it, logically it makes sense for partial charge to get just abit more damage but who knows what capcom is thinking
    It might be similar to how Gouken's regular fireballs work. You can release it at any time but you'll only get full damage on the automatically released full charge.
    Nothing is good anymore.
    Senpukyaku most likely refers to his hopkick. Using it together with his super probably means kara-canceling it into the super to increase its range.

Or buffer the commands while in the animation to an instant demon in front of opponents face
  • DaFeetLeeDaFeetLee WOW Joined: Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    Yes it's referring to the hopkick.

Kara-cancelled Senpukyaku that didn't connect.
    Twitter: @DaFeetLee || Twitch channel || NY FGC
    FG Blog || Youtube
    Yes it's referring to the hopkick.

Kara-cancelled Senpukyaku that didn't connect.

You need even more closer range, or do point blank f+mk and buffer, Ryu's Super has a very small grab range, you can say its almost the same as Gief's point blank 360+K (RBG)
    If you can kara-cancel it, does that mean it's not airborne?

• Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 2,061 ✭✭
    Anyone have ideas for links off f+MK? Possibly CH only? Also is it affected by whether they are crouching or not? If the hit box kinda moves down as he hops that could be true, kinda like how TK has more frame advantage against crouching characters.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    If there're links, it's most likely CH only, as it states it's unsafe on block.

• AnnihilationscapeAnnihilationscape The World Warrior Joined: Posts: 708

I'm wondering if, like Sagat's LK TK, this could be dependent on the range at which it's blocked. That would be interesting.
    "Your moves are weak and your style is a joke! What were you thinking?!"
    - Ken Masters
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 2,061 ✭✭

How unsafe is unsafe? -2 I can live with -3 or more is when it becomes more worthless
    SF3: Makoto and Ken