This Is All For Killing!: The M.O.D.O.K Combo Thread

Comments

• WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 5,034
    Man, this is so discouraging. I've been spending days in Training Mode with MODOK, and whenever I play another person I still look free =/

I've found that my biggest problem is that I'm clueless on how to approach/start off combos. Everytime I try jumping S or IAD M, I always lose to light punch mashing before my move comes out =/

Your spacing is wrong, you have to rethink when approaching with MODOK. Jumping M beats out all machine gun jabs if the LASER hits, remember if MODOK is rubbing up against your opponent his body will hit their fist first. Also S, has mad startup. Not to say it's not good but it's slow. Best to get some height on it from tri jumping. Box dashing with S is great in combos. Best box dash option imo for MODOK is baby kicks. You need to make sure they are in front of your face however, don't tridash with baby kicks against grounded if you don't have to. Now U/F airdash with baby kicks is amazing for meeting flyers/super jumpers in the air for easy combo confirms.

I'd suggest practice on confirming off of cubes to frustrate opponents, test their reaction to psionic blaster spam, but most importantly don't let them dictate the past of the match!
  • Justin3201Justin3201 combos Joined: Posts: 344
    Great video. I had to take a day off playing with marvel because I wasn't done absorbing and reflecting on the greatness coming from that video. Anyways, now I'm going to try out as much combos from it as i can. First thing first, I cannot get that HBR loop down. I don't know how that super works exactly. Do I mash L all the time? Its very sensitive. Also, why isn't this in the front page of SRK?
    Sfxt: Wtf Rufus dive kick nerf!
    Vanilla mvc3: Magneto, Dante, Haggar
    Umvc3: Everyone but chun li
    MK9: Johnny Cage
  • Ludacris01Ludacris01 Joined: Posts: 5
    Your spacing is wrong, you have to rethink when approaching with MODOK. Jumping M beats out all machine gun jabs if the LASER hits, remember if MODOK is rubbing up against your opponent his body will hit their fist first. Also S, has mad startup. Not to say it's not good but it's slow. Best to get some height on it from tri jumping. Box dashing with S is great in combos. Best box dash option imo for MODOK is baby kicks. You need to make sure they are in front of your face however, don't tridash with baby kicks against grounded if you don't have to. Now U/F airdash with baby kicks is amazing for meeting flyers/super jumpers in the air for easy combo confirms.

I'd suggest practice on confirming off of cubes to frustrate opponents, test their reaction to psionic blaster spam, but most importantly don't let them dictate the past of the match!

Wow, you were right. I've been doing a bit better ever since I started tri-jumping with his Jumping S now (don't get me wrong, I'm still completely free, but now at least MODOK can get in a bit of damage before he gets killed *cough*). Now to work on cube confirms.

I'm still trying to get a decent BnB for him too. I've been trying the ones on the front page, but man...that lag online is killing my wavedashing -_-
    SSF4AE: Dhalsim; T. Hawk; Dee Jay MK: Mileena; Reptile; Shang Tsung
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Nemesis; Captain America/Thor/Iron Man
    SFxT: to be determined...
    PSN = DaNumba1Rapper (no, I'm not a rapper...don't ask)
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,652
    You shouldn't have to wavedash? A quick forward jump into instant airdash down-towards should do the trick.. Super easy too. :tup:
  • alex073088alex073088 fighting game junkie Joined: Posts: 229
    @nos99 i was wondering about the hyper battering ram input, what directions are you going when you do the loop. And im still having loads of trouble with grab>slim>fly cancel>airdash>j.m, the j.m part almost always whiffs. And having trouble with air normal>air psionic blaster airdash down etc...i have been in training a long time and still cannot hit these combos consistently at all. Please help me =3

Btw awesome video of course. i love every single second of it. i loved the voice emulator part.
    Soul calibur:seung mina Tekken: Nina Williams
    BlazBlue: Rachel Alucard Guilty Gear: Bridget
    KOF:Mai
    DOA: Ayane
  • Onizuka1Onizuka1 THE TAR PIT CLUB Joined: Posts: 137
    Do any of the combos in the video have notations anywhere?

Cheers to an awesome compilation...we need to nominate for front page; "According to my swagulations, you'll be dead in seconds!"
    Crash! Into the rolling morning~ Flash! I'm in the coolest driver's high~
    @nos99 i was wondering about the hyper battering ram input, what directions are you going when you do the loop.

Corner
    HBR
    down-forward
    down-forward
    down-back
    forward (down-forward can work too)

Midscreen
    HBR
    down-forward
    down
    down (one hit, pop them up high)
    down-forward

There's a definite timing to it. Don't mash!
    And im still having loads of trouble with grab>slim>fly cancel>airdash>j.m, the j.m part almost always whiffs.

I don't know any tricks for this.. just practice to learn the timing, it takes a while to get the hang of it. :sad:
    And having trouble with air normal>air psionic blaster airdash down etc...

It helps to not superjump right away (make sure you turn off that stupid hold-S to superjump option too) because you want them to be really high in the air when you hit them with the blaster, giving you enough time to airdash down and hit them before they land.
    Do any of the combos in the video have notations anywhere?

Oh geez.. umm.. that's a lot of notations. lol

Any combo in particular?
    Cheers to an awesome compilation...we need to nominate for front page

Looks like we missed the most recent video roundup.. I'm honestly sort of surprised, as this is probably the most effort I've put into a vid yet and it would be the first time one of my MODOK vids didn't get front page'd since.. well.. since I started making MODOK vids. :rofl:
  • kensanitykensanity Joined: Posts: 1,674
    Looks like we missed the most recent video roundup.. I'm honestly sort of surprised, as this is probably the most effort I've put into a vid yet and it would be the first time one of my MODOK vids didn't get front page'd since.. well.. since I started making MODOK vids. :rofl:
    This is one of the most thorough videos for ANY character in UMVC3. easily the most epic combos and resets. I don't know how it didn't make the list. I linked your vid in the comments anyways. haters.
    ^ I msg'd a couple of the front page guys after I saw people/you MODOK-bombing the comments of the latest video roundup (lol btw), and they told me that they know about it, and it'll hopefully be up soon. :sweat:
  • CavemanCaveman Mashing on throw Joined: Posts: 495
    Finally made it to the front page...good stuff, Nos99!
  • M0-T3MP35TM0-T3MP35T Joined: Posts: 104
    Great comp video Nos!! And thanks for the credits. I laughed...I cried...I cursed

Seriously, that combo you ended with c.L after HBR made me yell out "asshole" at work rofl. I'm now going in the lab specifically to find a combo that kills with jab and try to not touch an opponent until I know their open just so I can make sure I get the jab kill at the end. That section with the Strange/Strider expansions really gave me some more ideas to play around with when swaging it out. You know, It always makes me laugh how far you'll go to wring out every last ounce of hitstun in a combo lol. So entertaining...so awesome. I can't help but hit the lab and try to work with some of your ideas...though alot of what I find isn't optimal for competitive play :(. Best part is, I completely understand how you're doing it when you do and I gotta say your vids always help me when i'm in a rut creatively when siting in training mode figuring out the "puzzle" that is dat MODUCKARY. Every time I think I've learned everything there is to know about this character, you show me something I hadn't thought of before. Many thanks for your contributions!

Props to all you other guys to!! Watching that video makes me feel good to see where we started with this character not knowing what the hell was going on, and how we've taken concepts and ideas from one another and keep expanding, and growing...making this character more and more of a threat by the day. Thanks Capcom for making such a obnoxious/interesting/frustrating/rewarding/funny/ inaccessible yet STRONG character...and for not dumbing him down in Ultimate by giving him tons of unnecessary buffs (though they did give him buffs they didn't tell us about lol). I really like how it takes a certain type of mind to play MODOK. Everybody hates me over here cuz they can't play MODOK worth a damn, but they love to see him go to work lol.
  • CurlyWCurlyW Hello? Yes, this is dog. Joined: Posts: 877
    Nos, sorry I wasn't able to get your video up yesterday. I claimed responsibility for writing it up since I love all your MODOK work, but I had less time than I expected on Tuesday to actually put up the post. As you saw the video's up today, and hopefully I made up for the 24 hour delay by keeping it from being buried beneath SFxT news. Maybe. Anyway, I'll work to be quicker next video, and you can feel free to send them directly to me instead of the SRK tips line.
    Also, I love the term "BRODOK".
    "Not part of the FGC" -Guy responsible for Cross Assault
    lol I'm pretty sure I first heard "BRODOK" from one of Worstplayer's posts..

As for killing with jab, killing with Frank's camera was a bit of a bitch too.. that thing only does 2k. I had to bring them 2k away from death in a single exchange combo. It looks badass tho. lol

I also just realized that I forgot to put the fade effect on the text at the end of the exchange intro.. that's going to drive me crazy. Haha!

I also just realized that I could've fit in another jamming bomb against zero. Oh well.

Glad you guys liked it!!!
  • Mr.BrokenMr.Broken Joined: Posts: 59
    @nos awesome video, thanks !!
    "Someday , someone will best me.
    But it wont be today , and it wont be you!"
    lol I'm pretty sure I first heard "BRODOK" from one of Worstplayer's posts..

As for killing with jab, killing with Frank's camera was a bit of a bitch too.. that thing only does 2k. I had to bring them 2k away from death in a single exchange combo. It looks badass tho. lol

I also just realized that I forgot to put the fade effect on the text at the end of the exchange intro.. that's going to drive me crazy. Haha!

I also just realized that I could've fit in another jamming bomb against zero. Oh well.

Glad you guys liked it!!!

Hehe, yeah. BRODOK was actually my nick from my local circle for a while because I made a killer MODOK imitation (and I'm a bro as in black dude), but yah I eventually just started calling fellow MODOK players BRODOKS. Btw the tutorial vid is currently in production! It may be kind of layman but I'm going to try and elaborate on what I believe BRODOKS should and should not be doing. Message me if there's any points you want me to emphasize! It's going to have a tad of humor in it. I just can't match Nos' Bros Dokness combo wise : (

(On that note if anyone has any combos they'd like to submit "and likely capture as it will take me a 1000 tries to do it likely" hit me up! I'd like to have some kind of combo treat at the end that people haven't already seen.)
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    Maybe I could make a small one on simple combos with assists for beginners.

Or people who play on pad like me.
  • CavemanCaveman Mashing on throw Joined: Posts: 495
    worstplayer, are you going to do a mixup section in your tutorial video?
  • LTPLTP Joined: Posts: 832
    A part on hitconfirming with dok would be nice :) (j.:s:, cr.:h:, j.:l:, j.:m:, anti-airs, etc) and ways to open people up when they are being locked down (cr.:h:, IAD j.:l:, IAD j.:h: into throw, sj to switch sides, etc)

Honestly, I've been really sloppy at remembering my hitconfirms and blockstrings lately, especially off of j.:s: for some odd reason.
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Strange
    P4AU: S.Naoto, Adachi
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MythicVerbosity
    Caveman, def one of the goals if you have any nasty ones let me know. LTP yezzir! A lot of people tend to drop shit after a IAD j.M air to air hit confirm for example. It's going to take me a bit but hopefully it's informative if not entertaining. I can use all the help I can get!
  • Onizuka1Onizuka1 THE TAR PIT CLUB Joined: Posts: 137
    Oh geez.. umm.. that's a lot of notations. lol

Any combo in particular?

No way man that'd be crazy haha. I thought I read somewhere that the video compiled some combos from other members of the community, so I didn't know if you referenced those from certain threads/videos that already had notations.

I saw this thread, http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/modoks-strongest-bnb-combo.133259/ , which is the type of thing I was looking for...unfortunately it's outdated. Maybe any long time Modok players could say whether or not the information in that thread is still relevant?

The new team I'm wanting to work on is Modok / Sentinel / X (...Felicia maybe?^^) I was hoping to pin down one good solo/bnb to start out with and then eventually one cube combo and one combo that utilizes assists (drones & otg)

Cheers again to a great video
    Crash! Into the rolling morning~ Flash! I'm in the coolest driver's high~
  • Vongo1aVongo1a Dr Expendable Joined: Posts: 200
    No way man that'd be crazy haha. I thought I read somewhere that the video compiled some combos from other members of the community, so I didn't know if you referenced those from certain threads/videos that already had notations.

cut

Most of those are still viable but the solo bnb's I use are these. Credit to caveman for these.
    Midscreen
    Throw, dash cr.M~flight, j.H, airdash j.M, cr.H, airdash j.M, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 568,300
    airthrow, cr.M~flight, airdash j.M, cr.H, airdash j.M, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 568,500
    (cr.H, airdash j.M)x2 or 3, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 722,300 or 736,200
    j.L, cr.L, M(1hit), (cr.H, airdash j.M)x2 or 3, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 591,400 or 617,700
    j.S, j.H or cr.H, airdash j.M, cr.H, airdash j.M, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 720,000
    Killer Illumination, cr.M~flight, airdash j.M, cr.H, airdash j.M, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, cr.M, flight, j.S, L balloon bomb, S, j.H, L blaster, airdash down j.S, cr.M, L blaster, HBR - 751,500~805K?

Corner
    Throw or airthrow, cr.M~flight, airdash j.M, (cr.H, L cube)x2, cr.H, f+H, L cube, airdash j.S, L cube, f+H, L cube, L cube, HPB, cr.M, L blaster(, HBR) - 591,600 (779,100) or 610,300 (797,800)
    cr.H, airdash j.M, (cr.H, L cube)x2, cr.H, f+H, L cube, airdash j.S, L cube, f+H, L cube, L cube, HPB, cr.M, L blaster(, HBR) - 766,900 (954,400)
    j.L, cr.L, M(1hit), cr.H, airdash j.M, (cr.H, L cube)x2, cr.H, f+H, L cube, airdash j.S, L cube, f+H, L cube, L cube, HPB, cr.M, L blaster(, HBR) - 617,500 (805,000)
    j.S (same as midscreen)

These combos were included in Nos's combo video.

And is the topic creator still around? We should update the first post to include all of the new combos people found.
    If you want to see how smart you are Click Here
  • LTPLTP Joined: Posts: 832
    I'm not sure if anyone has notated a downward TAC in the corner where you don't have to plink flight into a cube (I don't want to wreck my pad lol and I can't do it consistently enough) and still end with a hyper of choice on the ground. Hopefully someone will find it useful. Anyway, here it goes.

down TAC, j.:m:, j.:m:, dash up, j.:l:, :l: cube, j.:l:, :l: cube, j.:l:, j.:m:, fly, (j.:m:, :h: cube)x4 :m: cube, :m: cube, :l: cube, j.:l:, j.:s:, cr.:m:, :l: blaster, hyper
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Strange
    P4AU: S.Naoto, Adachi
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MythicVerbosity
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023

The new team I'm wanting to work on is Modok / Sentinel / X (...Felicia maybe?^^) I was hoping to pin down one good solo/bnb to start out with and then eventually one cube combo and one combo that utilizes assists (drones & otg)

Cheers again to a great video

Heey, that's the team I'm trying to do as well. I really don't want Sentinel in the back.

I think I'll try Felicia, though Dante would be better.
    Hey guys. I still stuck with this wesker doom combo. I can't finish it. I do, in the corner, F.H, light bomb, doom missiles + F.H (sometimes I plink it to get doom going first), jump forward, addf launch, Legs, and for some reason I cannot connect the M bomb or a light blaster. I pop the character too high up and sometimes too low.

I thought I show you guys me attempting the combo in order for you guys to see what I'm doing wrong exactly. Sorry for the bad quality. I'm just so frustrated and obsessed with trying to get this down.

EDIT: Okay, I finally did it. Just a few times. Its just I have to call doom right after the light bomb. I'm still having trouble because I'm not sure about the timing of being able to call assists after special attacks. I just mash. I haven't been able to plink assists and F.H successfully. Should I just mash assists out and then F.H? Or should I just plink it (Doom Assists then F.H) slower?
    I haven't seen the vid (can't on my phone lol) but when I do it I definitely call doom before the f+H.. No plinking, just tap-tap. I think you also want to connect with the f+H when they're close to the ground too.

If you only do one launch before this part, you could probably use an L-cube instead of a bomb too, if you wanna sneak a cube in there..
    True, I always try to sneak in a cube into my combos for corner EX shield lockdown if I screw up.
    Got that combo down. Not 100 percent. Alternatively I use Magneto hyper grav assists in place of wesker since I see wesker not working as well with doom missiles. I just went to training mode and grind that shit out. I just had to immediately cancel the Forward H to pop them high enough to call doom and do forward H afterwards. I guess it was my timing. Thanks for the responses. I was really frustrated. lol. I guess the only other problem I have is doing the HBR loop after knocking them down. I find myself not being able to connect most of the hits bc I guess I popped them up too high after OTG slime into L-beam.
    ey nos99. Ya mind telling me how you get skrull close enough in the corner to connect L bomb? Its in the SCience video at 8:30? I'm guess you just have to do it fast and move forward each after cubes kind of like phoenix trap infinite. The combo seems so easy but i can't get it.
    I didn't move forward during the cubes, but I DID airdash before the j.S.. Maybe that's it?
    Oohh. Alright that does change things. In the video in didn't look like you dashed at all. Thanks.
    How do you do the HBR loop? I seem to get inconsistent results. Sometimes I'm on a roll but sometimes I just can't get it. Its like you have to pop them up between above the ground and above his head. Is it the mashing? I mash l twice for each direction. For the last direction, forward, I just mash or mash once.

Also, I can't get the HBR out sometimes and it doesn't DHC. Its weird. I'm guessing that you have to time it so that you do HBR right before the super flash indicating its end? Like when the super background tears.

Also thanks for ur help again nos. Got that doom missile combo down. Also I'm practicing your other combos just because I want to know all of Dok's options and their just fun to do.
    First of all, TAKE YOUR TIME! :) Mashing will just eff it all up..

In fact mashing doesn't do anything to HBR. The number of button presses, outside of initiating a rep (or "thrust", whatever) is irrelevant. Subsequent HBR reps and the way MODOK rotates his big head into the desired direction actually depends on the orientation of the previous rep (he can turn clockwise or counter-clockwise and still go in the same direction) and I find it helps to delay your presses to avoid him rotating the wrong way and screwing it up (especially the down-back rep).

You'll just get more control and get more comfortable with the super in the long run anyway, if you actually steer and drive each thrust, rather than mashing..

But most importantly, you should know why it works. If you hit with a point-blank HBR rep, you won't be able to link anything after it. On the other hand though, if you hit late with a HBR rep, a meaty strike, you recover quicker, so you can now link afterward (you can just try it against a standing opponent in the corner: one far HBR rep, link c.L into launcher or something).

So when going for the loop, you'll want to get far away before the last rep, so the last rep hits really late/meaty.. You also want to be close to the ground, so you take the least amount of time travelling to the ground after the last rep, allowing you to act as sooner.. and you may also want to pop them up a little before the last rep so that you don't strike their legs first (more like they fall on top of you) because it's "more meaty" then so you'll recover quicker.. and then there's the timing of the next HBR you have to do the moment you land, but not too soon so you don't DHC (I find plinking all the punches helps?)

But still... the loop is tricky. It's definitely not easy, and I think they may have actually made it harder in Ultimate? :/ Just keep at it, it should click eventually.
  • SinderSinder Joined: Posts: 124
    Actually I don't think they messed with it at all in Ultimate. It does come out once every 1000 matches though
    Thanks nos. Really helpful. I've been able to do it sometimes and do an overkill bnb with all 5 bars but then there are days when it just doesn't work and that just frustrates me. lol. Your definitely right bout not mashing its just the direction. I still hit 2 each rep. So b4 the last rep, travel far down back. If I fulfill this condition will the last rep allow me to land faster or is it because after going down back I immediately go forward thus being close to the ground?

Well I know in Ultimate you can't cancel into magneto tempest? At least I think so.
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,665
    If you mess up the links(like I have), you only -5 on block. So you are not extremely punishable by the entire cast. Certain characters might not be in range to punish with their jab, while some characters are too slow to punish MODOK with their jab.
    http://faust-tldr.blogspot.com/2011/12/tldr-special-edition-x-factor-and-what.html

So if people ever want to use this in a match, I wouldn't freak out if you mess up the combo as long as you know you are fighting.
    If I fulfill this condition will the last rep allow me to land faster or is it because after going down back I immediately go forward thus being close to the ground?

Going downback is more to make sure that you're far away when you start the last rep, allowing you to hit meaty with it (but being low to the ground is part of it too)
    Well I know in Ultimate you can't cancel into magneto tempest? At least I think so.

Do you mean HBR > DHC > Tempest? It works.. try HBR > DF > DF > DB > F and then DHC to tempest right after you hit with the last rep.. the opponent should fall right into the tempest chunks.
  • supernovajmsupernovajm Joined: Posts: 112
    Hello MODOK players. Hope this is useful to someone. Ultimate Web Throw DHC setups for various characters. MODOK is at 1:35

I don't know many modok combos, I'm sure someone has a better combo that can set this up. Please let me know

Going downback is more to make sure that you're far away when you start the last rep, allowing you to hit meaty with it (but being low to the ground is part of it too)

Do you mean HBR > DHC > Tempest? It works.. try HBR > DF > DF > DB > F and then DHC to tempest right after you hit with the last rep.. the opponent should fall right into the tempest chunks.

Thanks again. I'm understanding how it works now. It's weird now that I know what I'm doing with the loops. LIke sometimes I do what you've mentioned and I recover so quickly that I get standing L, which probably means I'm not doing it fast enough. Trying to find the right balance. Your right that tempest works. I didn't know the first hit of the last rep does more hit stun.
    Thanks again. I'm understanding how it works now. It's weird now that I know what I'm doing with the loops. LIke sometimes I do what you've mentioned and I recover so quickly that I get standing L, which probably means I'm not doing it fast enough. Trying to find the right balance. Your right that tempest works. I didn't know the first hit of the last rep does more hit stun.

If you get standing L, I'm pretty sure that just means you're messing up the motion?

Also, I think all the hits have the same hitstun. You can get all three hits of last rep and still DHC into Tempest.
    If you get standing L, I'm pretty sure that just means you're messing up the motion?

Also, I think all the hits have the same hitstun. You can get all three hits of last rep and still DHC into Tempest.

You're right again. I just thought my experience of accidental dhcs to magneto was good enough. lol. This super is really weird. Like I'm able to get the loop down even though I'm seemingly farther away from the ground than the other loops. Its just that I went downback farther.

I probably get the L because I'm not plinking it right? I just do h then m then l. Maybe it's because it is because I do it too late and I'm doing a dash L.