Sticks for Joy: Charity Sticks (Pre-order SFJ shirts!)

NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOYJoined: Posts: 3,349
Welcome to the official Team Tech Talk Sticks for Joy Foundation Thread!
sfj_concept3.png

Our Mission: The mission of Sticks for Joy is to create the highest quality of arcade-style joystick controllers in collaboration of skilled arcade stick builders, modders, and artists. Sticks for Joy is committed to supporting various charities through fundraising events with the arcade sticks it creates.

Current Projects: SFJ custom shirts! Pre-order details:

Straight design:

sfjoyshirt1.jpg

Tilted design:

sfjoyshirt2.jpg

One-off color shirts and Youth sizes are no extra charge, and will use the same screen, the shirt shop said that the same screen should fit across most Youth sizes just fine. Note: The screen will still be white, a darker colored shirt is recommended.

The standard shirt will be Navy. Extras will be purchased for sale at tourneys or for anyone who may miss out.

American Apparel is available, for an extra charge. The stock, cheapy shirt isn't terribly comfortable. That said, there is a nice brand (Canvas) that is ring-spun cotton like AA that feels very similar, and doesn't cost much extra. If you want AA, you're welcome to it, however.

The price for each normal (Canvas Brand) shirt will be $20. American Apparel can be had for an additional $3, and 2X or 3X sizes will also be $3 extra.

Shipping is TBD, but I'll likely use USPS first-class mail for domestic orders. The fun will be in international orders. I'll go by my local post office tomorrow to find out how much this will be.

Since there are the tilted and straight layouts, I will let those who pre-order vote on which style they would like. You may abstain from the vote if you choose. You are allowed one vote per shirt pre-ordered. You do not have to vote with every shirt the same way. For example, you can pre-order two shirts, vote tilted with one, and abstain from the other.

Form:

Name:
Shirt size:
American Apparel?
One-off color?
Number of shirts this type:
Tilted or Straight logo vote:
Country of Destination:
PayPal Address:

If you want to order two shirts that are not the same (e.g. Adult Medium in Navy and Adult Large in another color), please fill out two forms with "Number of shirts this type" with one each.

Example:

Name:Nerrage
Shirt size:Adult Medium (Please specify Adult or Youth size. If not specified, it will be assumed Adult)
American Apparel?Yes
One-off color?No
Number of shirts this type:2
Tilted or Straight logo vote:Tilted 1, Abstain 1
Country of Destination:United States
PayPal Address:codeshark2000@yahoo.com

Name:Nerrage
Shirt size:Adult Large
American Apparel?No
One-off color?Yes, Purple
Number of shirts this type:1
Tilted or Straight logo vote:Straight 1
Country of Destination:United States
PayPal Address:codeshark2000@yahoo.com

No payment is due at this time. Invoices will be sent out in the future to the PayPal address you list on the form.

Pre-orders close on Jan 31, 11:59 PM EST.

Past Projects:
VAS-SFJ
DSCF2001.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2009.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2013.jpg
Our tasteful Thanks to all of our supporters and donators

DSCF2015.jpg

DSCF2017.jpg
This is a metal joystick by none other than our own VOLTECH. With a sexy, reflective paint job and balltop by RoninWarrior and artwork by d3v, this beauty looks too good to play on. However, at Sticks for Joy, we know beauty in and out. Powered by Toodles Multi-console Cthulhu and a 360 Dual Mod, jdm714 will give it the power for PS3, 360, Dreamcast, PS1/PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox 1 all in a single stick.

Congratulations to Ray Meyers, winner of the VAS-SFJ!
sfjwinner.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1312701373168

6004509878_293fcf2448_b.jpg

Project Outcome: $1500 raised and sent to Red Cross Japan!
SFJ-MoneyOrder.jpg

Sponsored by:
http://www.akihabarshop.jp
http://www.d3vlicious.com
http://www.gamesboro.net
http://www.godlikecontrols.com
http://www.voltecharcadesticks.com

Special thanks to our Donors:

Rampage
EVAWINGZERO
Amp
kubebot
chuu
the cleaner

Comments

• NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    Latest News

1/17/12

Sticks for Joy shirt pre-order is up! Details in the first post!

1/12/12

Sticks for Joy on Facebook and Twitter!

1/5/12

Sticks for Joy Reboot. Time to attack the 2012 tourney season with our joysticks.

4/5/11

contact@sticksforjoy.org New email address

sticksforjoy.org is also registered.

Working on registering us as a non-profit. Cool.

3/15/11

Long break away. Updated the first post with teams and other info.

3/3/11

Sticks for Joy it is! Currently drawing up teams for sticks, stay tuned, folks.

3/2/11 (Later that day):

1) Alright, I believe the consensus at this point has been to donate to Child's Play. I have contacted them inquiring about how we can become a more "official" organization with them as our primary contact. It's a stepping stone so that we can get that PayPal "Donate" button. Please note: This process could very well take a while, but donations are welcome, and accepted at this time to SRKPremiumStickProject@gmail.com

2) Great name proposal by d3v! "Team Tech Talk Sticks for Joy Foundation," or just "Sticks for Joy" for short (to be easy to remember and not so wordy)

3/2/11

In order to get through the legal loops of possibly organizing a charity bank account and charity paypal account, we need two decisions ASAP:

1) An official name for our organization. I dubbed this "Project Premium Stick," but I'm sure we can come up with something better!

2) A designated charity. Right now, I think we're mostly in agreeance to donate all proceeds to Child's Play. If anyone has any better suggestions, please submit them ASAP to be considered.
  • THE ANSWERTHE ANSWER KOF Legend Joined: Posts: 1,688
    I like this idea, I'll be sure to donate. Did you guys consider the Make a wish foundation?
    -I'm not THE best anymore, I'm just one of the best =)
    "LOL not everyone is a basement dweller afraid of meeting real people Emil" -Cronopio
  • RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,978
    Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.
    I love the idea of donating to Child's Play, as it's definitely within our scope, as it were.
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,200
    I'm also considering that all those who can get involved can possibly sign the joystick, because having a joystick signed by Toodles, gummowned, jdm714, DaRabidDuckie, etc. would seem cool to me. But, then again, it may also be that this could tarnish a beautiful product, so it may also be something to not consider, too.
    I dunno, that's starting to sound like a certain idiots "customs". Also, what decides whos name gets on the stick (It's not like we're going to have 5 people do the wiring on the stick, so the actual assembly of the stick is limited to a small number of people)? If we're taking donations, that list of names could get very long.

As I said in the Think Out Loud, if you're already covering the wiring, i'm down with donating a set of buttons or something.
    I dunno, that's starting to sound like a certain idiots "customs". Also, what decides whos name gets on the stick (It's not like we're going to have 5 people do the wiring on the stick, so the actual assembly of the stick is limited to a small number of people)? If we're taking donations, that list of names could get very long.

As I said in the Think Out Loud, if you're already covering the wiring, i'm down with donating a set of buttons or something.

Again, true. This was just my personal feelings about it, but you're right, it won't touch enough hands to really be worth the long list.

I also kind of intended it as a slap to "certain idiots," since that was kind of what the idea was borne from.

I like this idea, I'll be sure to donate. Did you guys consider the Make a wish foundation?

Nope, just got started on this today. Added to suggested charities.
  • butterojbutteroj You Are Luminous Joined: Posts: 1,559
    Such a great idea and Im glad to be a part of it!

• x24x24 Eiffel Tower! Joined: Posts: 280
    Why not include Toodles' flash board to make more premium?
    Oh, it just dawned on me. This is going to be an stick with RJ-46 cables?
    I can round you up a set of NES, SNES, PSX, Dreamcast and USB cables (Probably for free, my local store has broken controlers that will just get thrown out, I'm sure if I tell him what its for he'll be happy to throw them my way).

I may also have a spare TE/SE PCB to donate... don't hold me to that though.
    I did list under donations that an optical would be amazing. If Spark! is released in time, sure.

Oh, it just dawned on me. This is going to be an stick with RJ-46 cables?
    I can round you up a set of NES, SNES, PSX, Dreamcast and USB cables (Probably for free, my local store has broken controlers that will just get thrown out, I'm sure if I tell him what its for he'll be happy to throw them my way).

I may also have a spare TE/SE PCB to donate... don't hold me to that though.

That's to be determined, really. Because a double/triple wireless is extremely viable as an option for being premium as well. But if we do go that route, I would surely appreciate the cables to avoid having to hunt them down myself.
  • blklightning21blklightning21 Ibuki and Vega Joined: Posts: 1,494
    Hey did you guys want a custom steel control panel for this, If you guys tell me the size that the stick is going to be and what kind of layout it is going to have then i can whip up a steel control panel to donate.
    Just let me know
    Modding solutions for you Hori RAP V3/VX SAs now available!!!!!
    Lightning Label Customs -> Arcade Sticks and Custom Metal Control Panels(TE, Hrap, V3, Custom, etc)
    The Game Surgeons -> Game System Repairs
    Thread
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-llc-metal-replacement-panels-madcatz-hori-qanba-customs-and-more.126522/
    That's to be determined, really. Because a double/triple wireless is extremely viable as an option for being premium as well. But if we do go that route, I would surely appreciate the cables to avoid having to hunt them down myself.
    np, hit me up if we go the route of RJ-45, it'll cost a hell of a lot less for me to ship the cables down than to buy a whole bunch of extension cables.

At worst, put me down for donating a set of buttons, of course when the colors are decided.
    Hey did you guys want a custom steel control panel for this, If you guys tell me the size that the stick is going to be and what kind of layout it is going to have then i can whip up a steel control panel to donate.
    Just let me know

Very awesome! I'll keep you posted!

That reminds me, layout needs to be determined. I'm thinking Vewlix, as it seems to be what's gaining popularity and preferred, but, again, this whole thing isn't my decision, I want it to be a collaboration, and I know a lot of people love their Sega Player layouts.

np, hit me up if we go the route of RJ-45, it'll cost a hell of a lot less for me to ship the cables down than to buy a whole bunch of extension cables.

At worst, put me down for donating a set of buttons, of course when the colors are decided.

Excellent! Thank you!
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818
    4671881764_17d2d79e35&bgcolor=blackballtop-custowill be more than happy to donate my BE/ Sugar Kane balltop for the cause.
    http://gallery.me.com/appletest1133#100027/4671881764_17d2d79e35&bgcolor=black
    and i can also check my local retro shop to see what i can find for cords. of course i can put a neutrik boot to make it classy. will be able to buy em in 2 weeks or so.
    7 button is trap.
  • butterojbutteroj You Are Luminous Joined: Posts: 1,559
    I was actually going to ask blklightning if he could donate a cp to me for the case. I was thinking a large 8 button vewlix for extra room for pcb(s).

On top of building an exotic wood case I can donate my pearl led lightable balltops.

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    Awesome idea. This is super cool of you all.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP

That reminds me, layout needs to be determined. I'm thinking Vewlix, as it seems to be what's gaining popularity and preferred, but, again, this whole thing isn't my decision, I want it to be a collaboration, and I know a lot of people love their Sega Player layouts.
    I see no problem with Vewlix. As much as I prefer the Sega arcs, Vewlix is pretty much the new standard.
  • x24x24 Eiffel Tower! Joined: Posts: 280
    Layouts or anything that deals with more than one option can always be put to a vote. But then if it's decided multiple sticks are to be made, then one of each would do. But then again, this can also be put to a vote. I'm seeing this as Blog Cabin-esque but for arcade controllers.
  • trav54trav54 Joined: Posts: 187
    I'd be willing to donate some cash for the project. Awesome idea.
  • WildWonWildWon Smot poker. Joined: Posts: 612
    I would like to offer my services. I have little to offer in skill as i'm still new to all this, but i've got shit-tons of ambition to spare.
    Ragequitting; consider it the real-life snap back. Kickin' your arse so hard, you're knocked off line.
    g+: http://gplus.to/WildWon
  • AmpAmp Joined: Posts: 533
    If I might make a suggestion. I've been thinking about a visual design for a stick for quite some time. I think it could be turned into an actual line instead of a single stick, so you can donate proceeds to multiple charities.

My idea was kinda inspired by Street Fighter - Abstract Edition and my love of basic two-tone schemes for everything.

Instead of having some elaborate, extensive design with character artwork on top, the entire stick could use nothing but solid colors and use them in ways to evoke those characters.

So, a Chun stick would start with a base coat where the entire body of the case is painted solid blue. If there's any detail trimmings, such as the bezel on the non-S TE models, make them yellow. Then the buttons would feature blue plungers with yellow trim. Then find a color scheme for the joystick that would suitably fit (maybe blue shaft and balltop, yellow dustwasher?) The idea might kinda undermine d3v's involvement, but I really think it would be cool if a stick, or even a whole line like it could exist.

Something like the Chun TE-S box art extrapolated out even further, remove all the logos, and even the fancy design trim though.

So like Ryu would have white primary with red trim. Maybe find a way to incorporate brown for his haircolor.
    Blanka: Green - Orange
    Ken: Red - Yellow
    Gief: Skintone - Red

Just throwing this out there, if you guys think it would be a good idea, run with it, but letting d3v have his way with some art and letting a woodworker get creative would be great too.

I just don't have the tools or experience to make a stick like that happen beyond a TE mod, and I don't have the money right now to pour in the resources for another one of those.
    GFWL/XBL: Amperture
    Yes, I play on keyboard. Get yourself a KBC Poker.
    Looking for a good keyboard -> console converter.
    I was actually going to ask blklightning if he could donate a cp to me for the case. I was thinking a large 8 button vewlix for extra room for pcb(s).

On top of building an exotic wood case I can donate my pearl led lightable balltops.

Yea i most definately have no problem with doing that, hopefully we know the final dimesions by the time i am ready to get round 3 of custom panels cut that way i can get it done.
    Lightning Label Customs -> Arcade Sticks and Custom Metal Control Panels(TE, Hrap, V3, Custom, etc)
    Thread
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-llc-metal-replacement-panels-madcatz-hori-qanba-customs-and-more.126522/
    I also have two Tekken 6 wireless PCBS (360, so they're common ground). I have zero need for them, if this turns into a wireless stick (or two) I'd be more than happy to dump these.
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    I'm definitely down for donating hardware, including a Spark if they're ready by the time its needed for this. I can easily whip up a few extension cables, or handle the crimping and testing of cords provided by others like Papertigre offered.

This may sound kind of weird, but I would feel better if everything dealing with this stick legit and not questionable. I'd feel a lot better knowing that any art on it, and any fonts used in making it (assuming its a standard art under plexi type case) we licensed for its use in the stick. Certain customs have blown up artwork that is copyrighted and not licensed, and I'd feel better knowing that we had license or permission for any of it used. My participation is not contingent on this, but it is preferred.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,806 mod
    We could just have a list of all contributors integrated tastefully into the bottom panel art.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • EVAWINGZEROEVAWINGZERO Slacktivismist Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 2,229
    Definitely down for donating!
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    [UMVC3 - A Button, B Button, C Button + S]
    [MK9 - Scorpion, Freddy Krueger]
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified A man behind a desk Joined: Posts: 3,044
    I'm not entirely sure what i can do to help but I'm willing to help

If we're going down with a series of sticks and if its gonna be by evo, I can probably make something
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    I may be able to wire it depending on when this gets going, but I can't make any promises... It would be handy if it is through Voltech though, we've worked together on more than a few cases.

• chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    I'm down with donating and buying raffle tickets if there is a raffle.
    I'm definitely down for donating hardware, including a Spark if they're ready by the time its needed for this. I can easily whip up a few extension cables, or handle the crimping and testing of cords provided by others like Papertigre offered.

This may sound kind of weird, but I would feel better if everything dealing with this stick legit and not questionable. I'd feel a lot better knowing that any art on it, and any fonts used in making it (assuming its a standard art under plexi type case) we licensed for its use in the stick. Certain customs have blown up artwork that is copyrighted and not licensed, and I'd feel better knowing that we had license or permission for any of it used. My participation is not contingent on this, but it is preferred.

Should I consider that a vote for my two-tone swatch color idea?

Cool, I like this. Given the interest, I think we may need so separate this into at least two builds, possibly more, if enough interest is given. I have an idea of teams for each stick to be working on. Awesome! Light up pearl balltop sounds amazing.
    I see no problem with Vewlix. As much as I prefer the Sega arcs, Vewlix is pretty much the new standard.

Agreed. Any other opinions or voices about button layout?
    Layouts or anything that deals with more than one option can always be put to a vote. But then if it's decided multiple sticks are to be made, then one of each would do. But then again, this can also be put to a vote. I'm seeing this as Blog Cabin-esque but for arcade controllers.

Yes, I'd try to run polls, but the forum is limited to only a single poll per thread, and given all the multitudes of options possible, it would be hard to get a poll going to cover everything, so I need as many people as possible to let their voice be heard. This is a community effort, after all.
    I'd be willing to donate some cash for the project. Awesome idea.

Thank you. I'll try to get PayPal squared away ASAP! Much appreciated!
    I would like to offer my services. I have little to offer in skill as i'm still new to all this, but i've got shit-tons of ambition to spare.

Vey much appreciated. What I could use is opinions and more importantly, some money. Now, I understand that you really want to help the cause, but I have to have the cream of the crop working on this. I don't mean this as an insult to you at all, and I certainly hope you don't take it that way. I have seen your improvement in Think Out Loud, and you're a helluva lot more qualified than most of SRK, but I need experienced workers getting their hands in on this one. Donating parts, money, PCBs, etc, and especially letting me know what your opinion is is way more valuable than wiring or building a stick. Think how there can be only so many people to work on a stick, maybe four? Two to build the case (like blklightning21 making a steel panel and butteroj making the rest of the case), one to make the art, one to wire it up? But how many people do we have to represent as a community. A lot, and cranking out our finest is what we need.
    If I might make a suggestion. I've been thinking about a visual design for a stick for quite some time. I think it could be turned into an actual line instead of a single stick, so you can donate proceeds to multiple charities.

My idea was kinda inspired by Street Fighter - Abstract Edition and my love of basic two-tone schemes for everything.

Instead of having some elaborate, extensive design with character artwork on top, the entire stick could use nothing but solid colors and use them in ways to evoke those characters.

So, a Chun stick would start with a base coat where the entire body of the case is painted solid blue. If there's any detail trimmings, such as the bezel on the non-S TE models, make them yellow. Then the buttons would feature blue plungers with yellow trim. Then find a color scheme for the joystick that would suitably fit (maybe blue shaft and balltop, yellow dustwasher?) The idea might kinda undermine d3v's involvement, but I really think it would be cool if a stick, or even a whole line like it could exist.

Something like the Chun TE-S box art extrapolated out even further, remove all the logos, and even the fancy design trim though.

So like Ryu would have white primary with red trim. Maybe find a way to incorporate brown for his haircolor.
    Blanka: Green - Orange
    Ken: Red - Yellow
    Gief: Skintone - Red

Just throwing this out there, if you guys think it would be a good idea, run with it, but letting d3v have his way with some art and letting a woodworker get creative would be great too.

I just don't have the tools or experience to make a stick like that happen beyond a TE mod, and I don't have the money right now to pour in the resources for another one of those.

This is very interesting, and I like it. While a line of joysticks is nice, I think we may have to keep this very limited, very premium. Now, I'm all for doing this again down the line if we have a great success this time around. Maybe make it an annual Tech Talk tradition of making some of the finest sticks possible to help a charity. I do like abstract and minimalistic, but I'm going to leave the creativity up to those who collaborate on the cases and artwork, because they're for sure much better at the creative stuff than I am.
    I also have two Tekken 6 wireless PCBS (360, so they're common ground). I have zero need for them, if this turns into a wireless stick (or two) I'd be more than happy to dump these.

That's excellent. I don't think we'll need both, but one is very appreciated! You're giving a lot :)

I completely agree on the legitimacy. Part of what I said in Think Out Loud was that we should keep it without characters, and maybe make premium patterns, like carbon fiber or something of the like, not only to avoid any sort of character bias, but to keep the licensing okay. However, I think it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get someone to see our cause and give us the okay for character rights for a non-profit cause. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to.

I super-appreciate hardware. Hopefully Spark will be ready in time, that'd be an awesome touch. And speaking of, PLEASE let me know what your opinions on setups should be. If things go through like it looks like to me, we're very likely to have at least two sticks! One of which I'm thinking should be double or triple wireless, the other being an MC Cthulhu + RJ45.

This project is looking extremely strong from the get-go. I'm glad to see such a great banding together on our own Tech Talk.
  • RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,978
    Yeah, it's definitely nice to see people coming together for this. Though I have to say, there's something amusing about the fact that it was sparked by hate for DSP and his "customs". :lol:

I do like the two-tone idea mentioned above. I'd love for it to be something along those lines, and completely custom as to avoid any issues with copyright etc.

Maybe a similar idea to that Chun box, but based around the charity that is ultimately decided on? E.G., Child's Play uses a red/green/gray theme on their site. Red Cross is red/white. Etc. Just an idea. It could be nice, with a small company logo somewhere in a corner perhaps.
    I just noticed I hadn't mentioned it yet, but I'm down to put in some cash for the project if nothing else.
    my vote always lies with 6 button astro city for button layout.

maybe stick in an LS 32 inside it?

also it must be a wide stick with a start button on the face.
    and maybe have the start button be switchable between buttons for games that have a specific taunt button for them i.e. blazblue/guilty gear has taunt on where the start button on the panel (lol tauntloop). Or like how mvc3 has select as a taunt button for a more authentic arcade feel
    I need dat twitter PSR
    We could just have a list of all contributors integrated tastefully into the bottom panel art.

It's going to be a huge list at this rate!
    Definitely down for donating!

Major thanks to you. Again, just waiting on PayPal to get back to me.
    I'm not entirely sure what i can do to help but I'm willing to help

If we're going down with a series of sticks and if its gonna be by evo, I can probably make something

Wow, more sticks? I dunno how I feel about it all! I suppose the more, the merrier, but let's see what unfolds. I really want to say at least 2 at this time, possibly more, but again, I really want to try to keep this all very high-end stuff.

It'd be awesome to have these featured at Evo with the raffle at that time, live on the stream during the SSFIV finals or something. Gotta feel out the rate at which things are going, though. The interest is there, but we all gotta figure out the rate at which everything's going to be going.
    I may be able to wire it depending on when this gets going, but I can't make any promises... It would be handy if it is through Voltech though, we've worked together on more than a few cases.

VOLTECH did say he'd like in on it in Think Out Loud. Hey, maybe if he made a case and sent it to RoninWarrior to get it painted, he could fulfill his dream of a case painted by ronin, and for an excellent cause ;)
    I'm down with donating and buying raffle tickets if there is a raffle.

That is excellent to know. Will let you guys know ASAP when donations are good to go! I definitely agree that a raffle for these is the best option. However, I still can't speak for everyone! Let me know if you have a better idea to getting these sold off!
    Should I consider that a vote for my two-tone swatch color idea?

We will see. A utilitarian two-tone would be kind of cool, and could probably look good. But, again, we can only make so many sticks. Abstract edition was neat. I don't want to squander the creativity of designers, though.
    Yeah, it's definitely nice to see people coming together for this. Though I have to say, there's something amusing about the fact that it was sparked by hate for DSP and his "customs". :lol:

I do like the two-tone idea mentioned above. I'd love for it to be something along those lines, and completely custom as to avoid any issues with copyright etc.

Maybe a similar idea to that Chun box, but based around the charity that is ultimately decided on? E.G., Child's Play uses a red/green/gray theme on their site. Red Cross is red/white. Etc. Just an idea. It could be nice, with a small company logo somewhere in a corner perhaps.

Well, at least one good thing came as a result of DSP :rofl:

Yes, that's really cool. Lots of good ideas, and that's a super excellent idea about the charities. I'm liking what I'm hearing.
    I just noticed I hadn't mentioned it yet, but I'm down to put in some cash for the project if nothing else.

Thanks, and great ideas! I am just caught between wanting to let the artists do their thing, and letting the ideas flow! Man, it's tough, but even a few dollars will be appreciated, and I'll make sure it all goes to a good cause. :D
    my vote always lies with 6 button astro city for button layout.

maybe stick in an LS 32 inside it?

I'm all for the differences. I'm hugely biased toward 6 button Seimitsu. While there's so many great ways to make cases, we still need to remember that the amount of sticks will be limited, sadly. I'm mostly wanting to go to the JLF for its popularity and being the "standard" of fighting game joysticks. I want to go with 8 buttons simply because it's what the consumer is more used to getting in a stick, and expecting to keep all of their buttons (and if we're only selling tickets, we don't want to appeal to the niche crowd that wants the "true" way to do it, we just need to target guys that are willing to drop $10 or $20 for a chance at a stick). Again, if we have enough requests for 6 button or LS-32, we'll look at running it.

Whew! So many replies.
    Well if we are doing two sticks I can supply the panels for Astro 6 or 8 button(I LIKE 6 hahaha) and Vewlix 6 or 8(I LIKE 6 BUTTON ASTRO hahahaha.) If you cant tell i am hugely biased towards the astro 6 button layout but i think one stick with asto 6 and one with vewlix 8 would be great, just let me know the size we need the control panels and i got it.
    Thread
    Well if we are doing two sticks I can supply the panels for Astro 6 or 8 button(I LIKE 6 hahaha) and Vewlix 6 or 8(I LIKE 6 BUTTON ASTRO hahahaha.) If you cant tell i am hugely biased towards the astro 6 button layout but i think one stick with asto 6 and one with vewlix 8 would be great, just let me know the size we need the control panels and i got it.

Well, that sounds like a good plan. You'll give two? :lovin:

I think we all like 6, but we gotta remember we're making this for people outside of our group. I agree, though, if we were doing a 6/8 split, then I'd definitely go Astro 6, Vewlix 8

So, 8 button Vewlix and a 6 button Astro are up?
    Well, that sounds like a good plan. You'll give two? :lovin:

I think we all like 6, but we gotta remember we're making this for people outside of our group. I agree, though, if we were doing a 6/8 split, then I'd definitely go Astro 6, Vewlix 8

So, 8 button Vewlix and a 6 button Astro are up?

Yep i have no problem giving two for a great cause like this. Just please for my wallets sake dont make them massive hahaha
    Thread
    I don't really have any personal bias toward either layout, but I think since this stick is being made for someone potentially outside our sphere of influence, it does have to fit within a standard.

My vote goes to Viewlix 8.

If I have any personal layout bias...Hit Box...but that would never sell.
    i ninja edit my posts too much

8 button vewlix and 6 button astro is good, but like my ninja edits say, wide sticks with a start panel like a VLX must be put into consideration
    I need dat twitter PSR
    Yep i have no problem giving two for a great cause like this. Just please for my wallets sake dont make them massive hahaha

Talk to the builders about that ;)

i ninja edit my posts too much

8 button vewlix and 6 button astro is good, but like my ninja edits say, wide sticks with a start panel like a VLX must be put into consideration

Oh, no! That's no good for blklightning21! Haha. If it comes down to it, though, I'll be sure to help you out a bit for panels when we get some donations ;)
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 690
    Not wanting to step on d3v's toes, but if multiple sticks are being made, I'd be down for doing some art of the abstract/arty/non-licensed/chaotic/hybrid variety or something. I'd also be willing to buy a raffle ticket, assuming shipping to the UK is possible.

I think this is a great idea.
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
    I don't really have any personal bias toward either layout, but I think since this stick is being made for someone potentially outside our sphere of influence, it does have to fit within a standard.

My vote goes to Viewlix 8.

If I have any personal layout bias...Hit Box...but that would never sell.

You're right, vewlix 8 is very standard, and also, yeah, the hit box isn't what I think what we are going for.
    Not wanting to step on d3v's toes, but if multiple sticks are being made, I'd be down for doing some art of the abstract/arty/non-licensed/chaotic/hybrid variety or something. I'd also be willing to buy a raffle ticket, assuming shipping to the UK is possible.

I think this is a great idea.

At the rate that things are going, you never know if we may need another designer ;). I kinda dig that artwork idea, but gotta see what people think.
    Oh, no! That's no good for blklightning21! Haha. If it comes down to it, though, I'll be sure to help you out a bit for panels when we get some donations ;)

What I'm thinking of doesn't use a steel panel. I still have to build a test stick out of it before I do this design. Lets just say it involves a 10mm plexi and the ability to see all the parts and PCB's but not the wiring.

I'm gonna get started on building the test beast once school gets out in April. (hopefully that isn't too long of a wait)
    I need dat twitter PSR
    Actually that is perfectly fine with me i like the idea of the wide panels for the start button because for my personal stick(that i have yet to build since i am so busy hahaha) i will have one. Think large DIY, but just try not to make them too long.
    Here is an example
    IMGP1034.jpg
    16.5" x 7"
    Thread
    Hey cool we were thinking almost the exact same dimensions. I was leaning towards a 16x7 or 16x8.
    I need dat twitter PSR
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,806 mod
    At the rate that things are going, you never know if we may need another designer ;). I kinda dig that artwork idea, but gotta see what people think.
    File it under "we shall see." Since I figure coordinating for one build is hard enough.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Joined: Posts: 37
    It would be a bit difficult to set up (you would at least have to wait until a charity is picked) but paypal offers discounted rates to non-profits. You do have to be a registered charity and send them confirmation though which is why you would have to wait until a charity is picked and work with them. Info can be found here. The interesting bit is:
    To receive the discounted rates, sign up for a PayPal Business account. Select Nonprofit as the business type and enter your organization's checking account number. Then, to confirm your nonprofit status, email a tax letter from the IRS, a bank statement or a voided check in the nonprofit's name, plus the organization's PayPal email account and contact information to compliance@paypal.com.

P.S. I am too much of a noob to offer services but I definitely plan on biding/buying tickets for the final product.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,038
    I just message kyle the other day about, and I had no clue where to begin. So I am actually glad you stepped up Nerrage, It takes the stress off me figuring out how to get this thing organized. I love to participate and contribute any way I can.

My idea was to Child's Play, although all the charities that are mentioned are good ideas. I was thinking we could call it
    TEAM TECH TALK COLLABORATION PROJECT 2011

I wonder if we can talk one of the members here who represents a online store to donate a few parts for the cause, it would be a good PR and a tax write off for them.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 2,016
    I like the idea of a few custom sticks. That way we could do a triple wireless and wired version, a RGB LED controller version, a FGWidget LED controller, etc. Even a happ project (which I'd be glad to supervise and have a really good idea for...)
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat