Official 'Kitty' class boards thread

Comments

• DivineDarkDivineDark Joined: Posts: 8
    Hello once again Toodles. I just installed my Kitty in my MvC2 stick and I have an issue. When the stick is plugged into a 360 the 4 button led's across the top and bottom right two, and three lights around the guide button flash twice and nothing happens. I thought that I might have screwed something up with the USB cable, but I unscrewed the usb wires from the kitty and twisted them together, and it's instantly recognized as a 360 joystick.

I plugged the stick into my laptop to try the firmware flash. I plugged it in while holding the guide button and the top left and bottom right lights of the guide lit, and all of the button LED's respond, but windows failed to install the stick. I've reconnected all of the ribbon cables and followed the guide to the letter. I'm just not sure where else to go with it. I can give you more specific shots of the flashing lights if that would help, but I don't know what else to do.
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    The firmware needs reflashed to the Kitty, with a the official version and not the troubleshooting version you may have been working with earlier. If you're having trouble doing the flashing, please be very detailed about everything you're seeing with the flashing.
  • DivineDarkDivineDark Joined: Posts: 8
    I'm not even getting there. Windows won't install the device, so when I run the flash utility the dos screen pops up for a split second, then disappears.
  • DanAdamKOFDanAdamKOF Joined: Posts: 1,000
    From KittyUsersGuide.pdf:
    Use a hobby knife or similar tool to remove about 1/2” (12mm) of the outer insulation of the cord.
    This is too much. Not saying the guide needs to be a "how to crimp RJ45 for dummies" guide, but I had to cut my exposed wires down to about 1/4".

BTW, since it came up in this thread, I swapped out my still-glued JLF connector for a JLF-TE, and it's so so so nice of a part. It fits well and it's sturdy, you can grip the connector firmly and rock it to one side then slide it away. I've used some before but only to install into friends' SE sticks that started acting up.
  • RenzokuFCRenzokuFC Joined: Posts: 78
    Does it happen if the lock switch is set to Locked?
    Argh, seems like the problem is very random, I wasn't able to reproduce it after my last message with and without the lock switch on position... I know I'm being very vague here, but do you have a very very early idea of what could be happening?
  • xpulsexpulse Ice Ice Baby... Joined: Posts: 372
    Good enough for me. Please send me a PM with the paypal address, postal code, and a reminder of which harness it is (TES or VS) please and I'll get it out asap.

Yep, harness was it. Saw the difference immediately between the two different crimps. That did the trick. Thanks! Beer on me at Evo :). Speaking of which, how do I disable the LEDs from lighting up when I press buttons/directions (I'm sorry, I'm sure this is covered before)? I just don't want the refs looking at me all funny when I pull combos and my control panel lights up all pretty. Any in-person Evo specials btw?
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
    I'm not even getting there. Windows won't install the device, so when I run the flash utility the dos screen pops up for a split second, then disappears.
    Focus on the USB wires going to the Kitty. Pictures would be a good idea.
    The LEDs you see that indicate the bootloader mode are a good sign, but the USB communication may be wonky for some reason. Take a close look over the USB wires, and if nothing is seen, we'll have to get the multimeter out for locate the source of the problem.
    Argh, seems like the problem is very random, I wasn't able to reproduce it after my last message with and without the lock switch on position... I know I'm being very vague here, but do you have a very very early idea of what could be happening?
    Most likely causes, in my opinion:
    1. Pushbutton for Select on the case has a worn out microswitch, and vibration force is causing it to activate. Main signs that would point to this are unplugging one of the wires to the Select button causing it to go away, problem appearing on both consoles, but not with Lock switch, and never causing an accidental Turbo activation.
    2. The 'nipple' actuator under the Turbo button is smooshed or misaligned, causing force on the stick to make it activate; since the Select/Back line is tied to Turbo, this would also cause Select to activate. Symptoms are that it appears on both consoles, sometimes with one or more of the pushbuttons going Turbo as well.
    3. Loose or exposed metal or wire causing Select or turbo to occasionally touch and activate. This like would NOT be stopped by the Lock switch, and would occur on both systems. Turbo activation is a possibility if the Turbo was the one being shorted low.

So, if I were you, first thing I'd do is swap the wires and QDs for Select and back. If the problem moves to Start, then a new 24mm button fixes it. If the problem remains on Select, open up the LED daughterboard and remove the nipple from under Turbo, and play that way for a while. If the problem disappears you know it was the nipple and can try to properly seat it back in or live without it. If the problem remains, field strip the stick and reassemble, taking extra special care to keep the installation clean from stray exposed wires.

Yep, harness was it. Saw the difference immediately between the two different crimps. That did the trick. Thanks! Beer on me at Evo :). Speaking of which, how do I disable the LEDs from lighting up when I press buttons/directions (I'm sorry, I'm sure this is covered before)? I just don't want the refs looking at me all funny when I pull combos and my control panel lights up all pretty. Any in-person Evo specials btw?
    Glad to here it, and you dont owe me anything; I shouldnt have sent a bum one out in the first place.
    Disabling the light on press LEDs is possible, but requires pulling pieces off of the bottom of the Kitty, and is silly to do when you know they arent cheating. Send anyone who thinks otherwise to come see me.
    As for specials, I dunno. But definitely cool stuff to show off. Come by and say hi bring your friends and scope the pretty toys on display.
  • chowachowa Joined: Posts: 9
    Hi Toodles, I was originally going to dual mod my VS so purchased a TE Kitty and VS harness. I am now considering modding my SFXT Pro stick instead, so my question is: can I use the VS harness for this or do I need to buy the TE-S harness? Thanks!
  • damiondamion Joined: Posts: 46
    Hi Toodles. I recieved my replacement cable today. I installed it and everything is working like it should now:D Thank you very much.
    Hi Toodles, I was originally going to dual mod my VS so purchased a TE Kitty and VS harness. I am now considering modding my SFXT Pro stick instead, so my question is: can I use the VS harness for this or do I need to buy the TE-S harness? Thanks!
    Trying a Kitty in a Pro stick is a bad idea.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/dual-mod.161784/#post-7208064
    Hi Toodles. I recieved my replacement cable today. I installed it and everything is working like it should now:D Thank you very much.
    Awesome, enjoy!
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386
    Will there ever be a Kitty for the Pro sticks, or is it not possible? I want to dual mod my Evo stick :(
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    Will there ever be a Kitty for the Pro sticks, or is it not possible? I want to dual mod my Evo stick

The Kitty already works on the Pro stick.

But the problem is the way the stick has been designed, which makes the Kitty a pain to install.
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386
    The Kitty already works on the Pro stick.

But the problem is the way the stick has been designed, which makes the Kitty a pain to install.
    Is it PCB related or just because there's like zero room inside?
    Is it PCB related or just because there's like zero room inside?

The stick shell is the problem, not the PCB.

It can be done but you'll need a lot of modding experience to achieve this. I'd suggest looking for alternatives instead.
  • butterojbutteroj You Are Luminous Joined: Posts: 1,580
    The stick shell is the problem, not the PCB.

It can be done but you'll need a lot of modding experience to achieve this. I'd suggest looking for alternatives instead.
    QFT. It is not a job for the weak. Very dremel heavy.

8993254c.jpg

• DreamTRDreamTR Console is the suck Joined: Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there any noted lag with the Kitty in a VLX for 360? Reason I ask: I got the Kitty from EVO, installed it, tried out by Qanba in PS3 mode, seems like it has virtually no lag when playing but the VLX in a PS3 does but is fine in the 360...Maybe I am smoking crack but I swear the Qanba feels more fluid when pressing buttons and moving...
    Arcade for Life!
    http://www.gamegalaxyarcade.com
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat player since the beginning. No team, no affiliation.
  • Sideshow20Sideshow20 I do what i gotta do to get that Win. Joined: Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sooooo i finally got my Kitty hooked up to my VS and i have a question. How do you disable the turbo buttons and guide button from lighting up everytime i move or press a button? lol
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Is there any noted lag with the Kitty in a VLX for 360? Reason I ask: I got the Kitty from EVO, installed it, tried out by Qanba in PS3 mode, seems like it has virtually no lag when playing but the VLX in a PS3 does but is fine in the 360...Maybe I am smoking crack but I swear the Qanba feels more fluid when pressing buttons and moving...
    The VLX stick uses a crappier cable than you'll find on TE sticks, and the speed had to be reduced to prevent connection problems. If you want to try a speedier firmware, I can put one together for you, but connection reliability could suffer for it.
    Sooooo i finally got my Kitty hooked up to my VS and i have a question. How do you disable the turbo buttons and guide button from lighting up everytime i move or press a button? lol
    The Guide showing the direction I could disable in the firmware, but the LEDs are hard wired to do that. There are a few diodes on the bottom that can be easily popped off with a pair of pliers that would disable that behavior. If you want, I can point out the ones to remove.
    The VLX stick uses a crappier cable than you'll find on TE sticks, and the speed had to be reduced to prevent connection problems. If you want to try a speedier firmware, I can put one together for you, but connection reliability could suffer for it.

Or he could simply put in a proper USB cable.

It still makes me angry how Hori can charge a fortune for a stick yet use crap quality components.
  • Sideshow20Sideshow20 I do what i gotta do to get that Win. Joined: Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Guide showing the direction I could disable in the firmware, but the LEDs are hard wired to do that. There are a few diodes on the bottom that can be easily popped off with a pair of pliers that would disable that behavior. If you want, I can point out the ones to remove.

Yes please do lol. because that kinda creeped me out lmao
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Yes please do lol. because that kinda creeped me out lmao
    On the bottom of the Kitty board, locate the diodes marked D1-D8. Those are the 'Turbo LED on press' diodes. Pop those off the board and that'll stop it. There one right next to them labelled D9; it's best if you leave that one alone. That one makes Turbo also activate Select/Back, which is pretty important if you ever use the RJ-45 jack on the stick, but if you dont want that function, you can pop that off too.
    On the bottom of the Kitty board, locate the diodes marked D1-D8. Those are the 'Turbo LED on press' diodes. Pop those off the board and that'll stop it. There one right next to them labelled D9; it's best if you leave that one alone. That one makes Turbo also activate Select/Back, which is pretty important if you ever use the RJ-45 jack on the stick, but if you dont want that function, you can pop that off too.
    K thanks toodles!
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
  • JayduckyJayducky Stupid Questions---> Joined: Posts: 737
    I'm using a RJ45 USB cable for my Kitty VLX. Does that mean I have less lag than using the original VLX USB cable? Or, would I still have to upgrade the Kitty firmware to see a difference with PS3 usage?
    Step 1: Put a hole in the box.
    I'm using a RJ45 USB cable for my Kitty VLX. Does that mean I have less lag than using the original VLX USB cable? Or, would I still have to upgrade the Kitty firmware to see a difference with PS3 usage?
    You would still have to get the tweaked firmware, but frankly I dont think you'd really see a difference. It'd take a lot of time to 'splain, but if your RJ-45->USB cable is good quality, you're free to try it, but if it still feels sluggish, it's in your head because there's nothing faster. Let me know and I'll get one wrapped up for you.
  • RynoWRynoW Joined: Posts: 36
    Toodles, I saw that you're adding something (resistors?) to fix the LT/RT problem on Round 1 TEs. Will the next board revision have anything to benefit newer stick users that we'd have any reason to wait for?
  • Air0087Air0087 Gandamu! Joined: Posts: 26
    Hey Toodles.

I'm having the same problem as damion, RT button not working at all no matter what I do. Here's a picture of the part that connects on the Kitty.
    Gundam and Blazblue
    JP PSN: Air0087JPN
    www.twitter.com/air0087
    Hey Toodles.

I'm having the same problem as damion, RT button not working at all no matter what I do. Here's a picture of the part that connects on the Kitty.
    Im happy to help get it straightened out, but I need some more information than that. If I was confident a new ribbon would fix it, I'd send it out in a heartbeat, but that just isn't enough to be sure we wouldn't be wasting time waiting for it to arrive in the mail. The photo doesn't show where the concern would really be, which is where the two ribbons come together in the middle connector. A good picture so I can verify the wires are going to the proper pins would help, for both of those ribbons. It would also be nice to get a thorough description of the problem; you said RT, but I need to know if this only happens in Xbox360 mode, if this only happens in PS3 mode, if it happens at both, whether or not the LED on the turbo panel lights up for it, every possible detail about what is or isn't happening.
    Just took the picture. It happens in both PS3 and 360 modes. The LED on the turbo panel doesn't light up when I press the button. My friend and I took it all apart and put it back together following the instructions and it still happened.

The button also doesn't register in Windows. All the other buttons work except for RT.
    Gundam and Blazblue
    www.twitter.com/air0087
    Well, if RT doesnt register in either mode and everything else is peachy, and you dont see any obviously weird/broken wires in the ribbon, then I suspect there is something else going on. It might have to do with the wires going from the distribution board to the buttons, or even the button itself. The good news is that it should be easy to track down. The first thing I'd suggest is to grab one of the 6 pin ribbon cables that connected the button distro board to the main TE board, remove the TES/VS harness that is going to CN1 on the distro board and main TE board, and use the original 6 pin ribbon to connect the CN1 on the distro board to the CN1 spot on the main TE board. Plug it into a PC in forced 360 mode (slider to RS, slider to Unlocked, and hold down Turbo when plugging in) and check the properties and the LED turbo LED to see if RT is now responding. Let me know how it goes and we'll go from there. Please make sure it's in 360 mode and NOT Kitty mode when checking the controller properties.
    hey toodles ive ran into problem. when i try to get it in xbox mode...nothing happens...buttons light up...stick doesnt work...on the pc it doesnt even detects madcatz just TE kitty
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    What happens when you do the 'slider on RS, slider on unlock, hold Turbo when plugging in' to force Xbox mode on PC?
    What happens when you do the 'slider on RS, slider on unlock, hold Turbo when plugging in' to force Xbox mode on PC?
    It flashes and does nothing. When I plug it up to the Xbox it lights up and register and player 1 but then goes out. I have the spark in the same screw terminal as the red wire could that be the problem?
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    i also checked my wires and soldered them into the board just to make sure they are getting a connection. Now when i plug it up to the 360 i get all the guide buttons light up solid. i can still press buttons however it still will not go into 360 mode.
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Well, if RT doesnt register in either mode and everything else is peachy, and you dont see any obviously weird/broken wires in the ribbon, then I suspect there is something else going on. It might have to do with the wires going from the distribution board to the buttons, or even the button itself. The good news is that it should be easy to track down. The first thing I'd suggest is to grab one of the 6 pin ribbon cables that connected the button distro board to the main TE board, remove the TES/VS harness that is going to CN1 on the distro board and main TE board, and use the original 6 pin ribbon to connect the CN1 on the distro board to the CN1 spot on the main TE board. Plug it into a PC in forced 360 mode (slider to RS, slider to Unlocked, and hold down Turbo when plugging in) and check the properties and the LED turbo LED to see if RT is now responding. Let me know how it goes and we'll go from there. Please make sure it's in 360 mode and NOT Kitty mode when checking the controller properties.
    Just did that and it shows the button being pressed in Windows, but the LED doesn't light up. Tested it in SSF4AE for PC and everything works fine there as well.
    Gundam and Blazblue
    www.twitter.com/air0087
    update: i just pluged it up to my 360 to force it and it worked. now when i try to move it wont move but the buttons did work. attempted to plug it up to my ps3 and i get the unknow usb device message that pops up.
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Annnd another update:

I realized why my laptop wouldn't detect my stick. It didnt have the required drivers to do so...ran windows update to install the game devices update and it was able to detect my te kitty and my te-s as well. Updated to the latest firmware that's in the guide and I am able to load it fine on the ps3 with movements and everything. However when I try it out on the 360 I am only able to press buttons and the stick itself is not even working. I tested it on the pc it was unable to detect the stick just only buttons only

So ps3 = works
    360 = 90% works just stick not working.

Sorry for all these updates. I'm just trying to fix this even if I am stumped and frustrated
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    After you Force Xbox 360, remember to go back DP?
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    I didn
    After you Force Xbox 360, remember to go back DP?
    That I didn't do...bout to try that now.
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Worked!
    Youtube - DeeDogg313
    Twitter - tfadeedogg
    Just did that and it shows the button being pressed in Windows, but the LED doesn't light up. Tested it in SSF4AE for PC and everything works fine there as well.
    Definitely a ribbon problem then. Check over the ones from the VS/TES harness kit and see if there's anything obviously wrong you can try to put into place immediately, but if you cant see anything, pm me your paypal address and zip code so I can get a replacement sent out.