Tiers for non-fighting games?

1505152535456»

Comments

• pizzacat83pizzacat83 Joined: Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 6
    Persona 5 party member tiers

S-Tier
    * Makoto - She is the best character in the game by far, excluding Akira (Protagonist). She has the best defensive buffs and has Mediarahan, which is really all the healing magic you need at the endgame. Makoto puts out respectable Nuclear damage and her ultimate gun gives her +10 to all of her stats. Makoto is your most versatile character and can do anything well, except Physical/Gun damage and crit.

A-Tier
    * Ryuji - Ryuji is arguably the best single target damage dealer in the game (excluding Akira) thanks to Charge and God Hand. Ryuji has Matarukaja, which is one of, if not THE best party buffs in the game. He is also your most durable party member and you get him early enough that maxing out his Confidant is a breeze.

* Ann - Ann is your best nuker by far once she learns Concentrate. She sucks for exploring dungeons since she relies totally on her Fire skills, which would eat through her SP reserves quickly. She's also useless against Fire resisting enemies. Ann at least has some of the more useful debuffs in the game. If only the game didn't troll you by giving Goro Debilitate.

* Haru - She is great for exploring dungeons and is going to put out insane damage against anything that can be critted thanks to One-Shot Kill. She learns a lot of good skills, which becomes a problem later on since you have to choose whether to build her up as an attacker or support character. One other problem is that she joins very late into the game, so you don't have a lot of time to cultivate her Confidant before the endgame. If the player focuses on her Gun skills, she's A-Tier, but Haru drops to B-Tier if they player focuses on her Psychokinesis skills since Haru does way more damage with Gun skills than Psychokinesis.

C-Tier (Yes, these guys are outclassed endgame)
    * Morgana - Morgana is to this game what Sazh is to FF13, insofar as being the best character early on, but getting sorely outclassed later. He and Makoto are your primary healers, but Makoto brings better buffs than Morgana, is more durable, and her final gun giving her +10 to all stats seals the deal. All Morgana can really do well is heal and has the lowest damage output late game due to having to settle for a the -dyne Garu spells. Morgana's Confidant being based on story progression also hurts him since it isn't maxed out until the final playable day in the game.

* Yusuke - Worst character endgame. Once Ryuji gets Swift Strike, Yusuke's utility as one of your primary physical attackers begins wanes a bit, and he becomes totally obsolete once Ryuji learns Charge. Yusuke is admittedly more reliable for damage than Ryuji early on, but he's way too dependent on Baton Pass late game to be worth using over Ryuji.

I excluded Akira (Protagonist) and Goro. Akira is obviously going to be better than the rest of the party and Goro isn't a permanent party member.
    In general, the best party is Akira/Makoto/Ryuji/Ann (boss) or Haru (exploration), although this isn't as big a deal if you max out Hifumi's Confidant.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,165
    I haven't played NG+ yet, so I assume your list requires NG+ and that it changes party dynamics a lot, because I think Yusuke might be the straight-up best exploration character (Joker and Crow aside, obviously) until you get SP adhesives, and I still used him afterwards. I also thought Morgana was fairly lackluster early game as well as late, honestly.

I definitely agree with Makoto and Ryuji though. They're useful throughout the entire game and both have skillsets that gives them a lot of sustainability.
  • pizzacat83pizzacat83 Joined: Posts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 7
    Naeras wrote: »
    I haven't played NG+ yet, so I assume your list requires NG+ and that it changes party dynamics a lot, because I think Yusuke might be the straight-up best exploration character (Joker and Crow aside, obviously) until you get SP adhesives, and I still used him afterwards. I also thought Morgana was fairly lackluster early game as well as late, honestly.

I definitely agree with Makoto and Ryuji though. They're useful throughout the entire game and both have skillsets that gives them a lot of sustainability.

I hope it didn't sound like I was saying any character was useless. They all can pull their own weight, it's just that Yusuke is outclassed by Ryuji and Morgana outclassed by Makoto. I was mostly basing my opinion on Hard Mode and NG+. Ann requires a bit of protection since she's squishy, but her damage output and debuffs make up for it, plus she can single-target heal if need be. Morgana is just too frail w/o AGI buffs for dodge tanking, plus not maxing out Confidant until the last day of the game (Elec eats him alive).

Yusuke is a good exploration character like Ryuji, but Yusuke crits more often than Ryuji, which can come in handy. The problem is that Yusuke gets outclassed by Ryuji about midgame, whereas Makoto doesn't completely outclass Morgana until she gets her ultimate gun. Morgana has a higher MAG growth than Makoto, but he's the squishiest character and Makoto gets Mediarahan. Morgana is technically the best healer, but Salvation is too situational.

Morgana is very useful early in the game because Makoto is awful when she joins, making Morgana your only functional healer besides Akira, which you should only have him do in an emergency. Morgana can also also get a lot of cheesed crits with Miracle Punch early-mid game.
    Post edited by pizzacat83 on
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,017
    edited June 5
    @pizzacat83 Yusuke is better than Morgana endgame just by having Masukukaja (assuming Makoto didn't die and got emergency shifted). Ryuji belongs in S alongside Makoto.

Other than those nitpicks that list is probably what I would have done.
    Post edited by Bious on
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.