The Game of Thrones OFFICIAL thread

Comments

• T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,591
    ExposedD wrote: »
    At this point i think Jaime is my favorite GOT character. Couldn't really tell you why that is tho.

Really rooting 4 the guy!

All the best GoT characters have good cores but have been messed up one way or another to the point that they're extremely morally-ambiguous.

You've got the ostensibly good-guys, Jon and Tyrion, who've gone through journeys of their own to turn out not terribly broken. You've got the entirely broken characters like Cersei and (in the books) Lady Stoneheart, who started out ambiguous on either end of the scale but then wound up in the same place mentally.

And then you've got the characters who are just on the verge of breaking, teetering on the edge, where they could tip one way or the other depending on how it goes. Jaime and Arya are particularly good at wobbling this way or that.

I won't spoil, but some of the characters who've stayed good throughout the show have gone through or are going through some serious ledge-balancing in the books, and those moments are just the best parts.
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,750
    I know I'll get hate for this, but I dont care for Jamie. At ALL.

He has a good heart but his actions are terrible. Cersei is the cause of all his children dying but he still White knights for her. He needs a fucking backbone when it comes to her.
    You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve
    Well, yeah. As I said, Jamie wobbles. He's got the exceedingly unhealthy relationship with his sister and his whole upbringing messing him up something fierce, right from the start. Events throughout the series have left him slightly less broken, but he's still teetering.

Then you've got Arya, who started out much healthier, but who went through a whole mess of breakage of her own. In the books we don't know just how broken she's gonna come out. In the show we're seeing that she's not AS broken as we might have feared, but she's teetering pretty bad too. I don't recall who feared for Ed Sheeran and his fellow soldiers, but I was worried for them too when she approached.
    Oh she was gonna kill anyone wearing Lannister armor for sure but their kindness saved them.

Arya was always gonna be fine. The people saying she was gonna be some hermit virgin are delusional.

As soon as puberty hits and some guy with abs and smell good comes around it's a wrap for her.

But yeah fuck Jamie. He doesnt wobble, he's the male version of a big booty and a smile. Ya'll falling for the okie doke.
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Up until she showed some humanity on the way to Winterfell, Arya was well on her way to being a complete emotionless killer. She's still heading there - she just tipped a little back towards humanity and her old self when she got in with her family. Let's not forget that she made a guy eat his sons before killing him and wearing his skins so she could poison a whole family. Revenge, yes, but god damn - those are not the doings of a normal human being.

In the meantime, Jamie's turning a blind eye to what a monster his sisterlover's become, yes, but in everything else he does he's being a good person - by ASOIAF standards. He's fighting a war on awful premises, but he's taking care of his men in the process, he's stopping rivals from being tortured. He's doing things as correctly and properly as he can manage, even in shitty conditions.

Of course, I'm also affected by book!Jaime, who 1) hasn't even returned to King's Landing yet since he's out fighting for his still-living son's army and 2) there's another thing happening with him and another character that's exactly the kind of sweet tipping-point moment I love for both him and that character. They completely ditched that subplot in the show, though.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just realized something. Isn't it kind of hypocritical for Dany to be all anti-slavery in Essos but pro-feudalism in Westeros? Is she alright with peasants being forced to work the land they are bound to? In the next episode preview she told the Lannister army to serve her or die. This can't escape Tyrion's notice.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 11

So. Much. Death.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Reason4U wrote: »
    I know I'll get hate for this, but I dont care for Jamie. At ALL.

He has a good heart but his actions are terrible. Cersei is the cause of all his children dying but he still White knights for her. He needs a fucking backbone when it comes to her.

He's in love and pussy whipped....
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,210
    I hate Jamie too but then I always hate characters that are born with everything, arrogant because they don't need to work at anything and their only gripe in life is not getting to bang his sister on the regular.

Feudalism and slavery are extremely different things Riot you got me rolling with that shit.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,128
    Well that and having only 1 hand, 3 dead children, 1 dead father and said sister has gone off the deep end.

But besides that no worries.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Also, he's a guy who wants to go by the knight code but then he killed his king because his king was going to blow up King's Landing with wildfire. He was the only remaining witness who heard it after he killed everyone else present, so he figures there's no use in tossing out the excuse, so now he's someone nobody can trust.

Who's been living under the (self-inflicted, granted) stress of keeping his sister-banging and resulting kids secret, never getting to be a proper dad to his kids.

This stuff has snowballed into him doing some awful things because he figures there's no way back. And then he lost a hand, watched one of his kids go full-on monster as king and then die, watched another of his kids get painfully poisoned and die (hasn't happened in the books so far), and then came back to see that his remaining kid killed himself and his sister did exactly what he killed his previous king to prevent (also hasn't happened in the books so far).

(Also, Cersei didn't blow up ALL of King's Landing, granted - "just" about a third of the city.)

Let's also remember that the missing hand is preventing him from being good at the thing he was really, really good at before, meaning he no longer has "good at swords" to fall back on like he did before, forcing him to apply himself in other ways.

All this makes him a hella interesting character.
    It makes him a fucking weirdo and a bitch. When he had 2 hands he basically bullied or threatened his way out of situactions because of Dad's rep.

Losing his hand forced him to get a actually personality. Even then he's full of shit and does characters like Bronn dirty. Jamie is a snake oil salesmen, it makes me think less of Brianne for falling for someone who will do the things he does.

Fuck her too btw lol. Worst body guard ever.
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
  • highluluhighlulu Joined: Posts: 3,820
    Well, yeah. As I said, Jamie wobbles. He's got the exceedingly unhealthy relationship with his sister and his whole upbringing messing him up something fierce, right from the start. Events throughout the series have left him slightly less broken, but he's still teetering.

Then you've got Arya, who started out much healthier, but who went through a whole mess of breakage of her own. In the books we don't know just how broken she's gonna come out. In the show we're seeing that she's not AS broken as we might have feared, but she's teetering pretty bad too. I don't recall who feared for Ed Sheeran and his fellow soldiers, but I was worried for them too when she approached.

she was seriously considering killing them the whole time. Why else would she tell a group of lannister men that she was going to kings landing to kill cersei, she was goading them into a fight.
    Umvc3 - (Nova/Frank/Dante) (Nova/Spencer/Strange) (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
    SF4 - Cammy, Ken
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ExposedD wrote: »
    At this point i think Jaime is my favorite GOT character. Couldn't really tell you why that is tho.

Really rooting 4 the guy!

This one's for you then:

edited August 11
    crucades wrote: »
    Feudalism and slavery are extremely different things Riot you got me rolling with that shit.

Then smash that motherfucking LOL button.

The differences are obvious and, in the context of my point, irrelevant. What matters are the similarities between them which Dany has problems with. A child born to peasants is a peasant; forced to work the land and very rarely allowed to leave. There is no upward mobility. If Dany sits on the Iron Throne content in the status quo then the majority of her character development in Essos will be pointless. Past experiences affect present decisions. To overlook feudalism would be incongruent with her character. Imagine her giving the Unsullied the same ultimatum she gave the Lannister army. Her main goal is conflicting with her life lessons, but it's possible for Dany to sit on the Iron Throne without "Breaker of Chains" becoming just words and lends more meaning to Cersei's comment on Dany being a revolutionary.

Abolish feudalism and establish a constitutional monarchy. It solves the above problem and prevents the Game of Thrones from resuming after Dany wins it. If she dies without an heir then there will be a legal apparatus in place to choose the next monarch. If she produces an heir then it will be a Targaryen but with a constitution in place, a mad king will have little power to tyrannize(same for a future Cersei).
    Jamie's going to be the one to kill Cersei.

Kingslayer, and Queenslayer.

Then he'll lead all the armies north to defeat the Night King, and marry Daenerys to be King of Westeros.

@ 1:50
    That's right... I forgot that book!Jaime was through with Cersei even before the King's Landing nuke. Will be interesting to see if that does happen in the books - and what that does to book!Jaime.
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    If i remember didnt he refuse to come to her aid in a trial by combat?
    dn3000 wrote: »

He tore up the letter Cersei wrote begging him to come back.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,797
    dn3000 wrote: »

He tore up the letter Cersei wrote begging him to come back.

I think he technically just threw it in the fire, but yeah he was like "fuck this shit". And he still had 2 kids left by then, lol.
  • GravityGravity Joined: Posts: 2,367
    edited August 11
    Lancel and Kettleblack were the breaking point for book Jaime.

He was thoroughly disgusted with Cersie at that point. :lol:
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I think it's a given that Jaime is going to be the one to kill Cersei, they're just holding back on the obviousness to make it more surprising when it does happen. He's the only one who can really get close enough to her to do it while zombie Mountain is around. I've actually read theories that place Jaime as "the promised prince".

Speaking of the Mountain, I wonder if he's actually "alive" or if his body is dead, just being preserved and puppeteered by magic. Like if the Night King was nearby and snapped his fingers could he just take the Mountain?

But going back to Jaime, the book sounds more realistic and maybe waiting through all this shit before he kills Cersei might make it less impressive. Like what will it take at this point? I could see MAYBE some situation where she orders him to kill Brienne right in front of her, but I don't see that happening. At this point I'm thinking we get to the big battle with the white walkers, Cersei wants to assure her throne at the end so she does something or wants something done to fuck up ANYONE'S chance at surviving, and Jaime kills her for the good of all mankind.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The fantasy elements of the show, except for the dragons and white walkers, are pretty loose and not very central to the plot.
    The Mountain is a zombie since Qyburn dabbles in the occult as well as "science", sort of the GoT version of a necromancer.

That way, they can get away with NOT explaining a boatload of stuff because um, magic and whatnot lololol
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,128
    Nope, boatloads of stuff is the one thing it hasn't gotten away with if this thread's reaction every time we see one in an episode is anything to go by.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    did you say boatloads?

how do you explain the mass teleportation of ships and personnel?
    or instant transmission of specific characters?
    or the fact that cersei's hair doesn't grow out since the passage of time is stretched, compressed, whatever?
    or where the fuck gendry is all this time?

oh wait.
    that was me who said boatloads...

but still, magic duh
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,324
    I'm pretty sure Cersei gets haircuts..jamie kept his hair short too after his hand got cutoff.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 7,864
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gendry's rowing made him buff as hell.
    edited August 14
    Well.....
    Jon Snow isn't a bastard. He's a legit Targaryen
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,711
    Well.....

This is news to you??? Did you miss the Tower of Joy flashback?
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does Gendry want to be king?
  • BustaWolfeBustaWolfe Joined: Posts: 220
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Well.....

I think you're missing his point. He's legit targ and not a bastard
    edited August 14
    Well.....

You don't seem to understand.
    Everyone knows R+L=J. This episode revealed that Rhaegar annulled his first marriage and married Lyanna. So he isn't Rhaegar's bastard. Before we didn't know if he was "Jon Sand". Since he was born in Dorne. This means Jon, is by right, the legit heir to the Iron Throne.
    Post edited by Darc Requiem on
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,711
    edited August 14
    BustaWolfe wrote: »
    Well.....

I think you're missing his point. He's legit targ and not a bastard

Yeah we knew that. Tower of Joy flashback revealed that Lana Stark gave birth to Jon. And Rehgar and Lana were secret lovers. So put the two together and it's obvious Rehgar was the father
    Edit: Ohhhhh now I see what ya are saying. Jon wasn't conceived from an affair. Rehgar and Lana were legit husband and wife. There for making him a legit Targaryen. OK my bad
    I get the feeling Littlefinger is playing Arya. He's trying to pit Arya and Sansa against each other with that scroll which is probably fake.

Dany sure does sound revolutionary. HMMM...
    edited August 15
    I get the feeling Littlefinger is playing Arya. He's trying to pit Arya and Sansa against each other with that scroll which is probably fake.

Dany sure does sound revolutionary. HMMM...

I don't think it's fake. I think it's the Raven they forced Sansa to send when she was being held captive after Ned's execution.
    Post edited by Darc Requiem on
    Yo Jon and the fucking dream team damn.
    Gendry and those warhammer skills and about to do some serious lvl in up against the undead, Robert would have been proud.

This episode brought up a lot of bad blood I had completely forgotten. Tyrion and Davos, Gendry and the Brotherhood. Tormund and Jorah seemed forced though.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Bounce Man Joined: Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Can't believe some niggas are complaining about a godamn haircut. Get a life enjoy the damn show.
    Major leak spoiler due to this episode confirming the last leak we got...you've been warned.
    Jorah ain't comming back lol, not alive anyway.

• J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    King of Da Norf?
    JON SNOW ISN'T A BASTARD HORY SHEET, the prince who was promised! The rightful king! *BENDS THE KNEE*
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Dont think Jamie will be killing Cersei in the show after tonights ep.

• ZatalconZatalcon Most hated man on SRK Joined: Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I knew it! Cersei, Snow, and Daenerys will combine forces to take out the white walkers.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    this episode is more daddy issues than normal lol.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/