The Raiden Thread - Pretty GDLK

Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward momentJoined: Posts: 2,458
This thread will be composed of combos, videos, and strats for the character Raiden. Be supportive and helpful, and help support fellow Raiden players.

This is a good place for info, and I will be pulling out info from it from time to time, for convenience. Please, do not credit me, credit the OP.
Since some of us are new, if you have trouble reading the notation or whatever, visit this thread.

Movelist

Specials

*All specials have an EX version

D,B+LP - Lightning - Basic zoning tool, unsafe at close range.

D,F+HP - Electrocute (shocker) - Good combo tool, can combo afterwards, unsafe on block.

B,F+LK - Electric Fly (aka DA SUPERMAN, johnnyboughtacar, Santa Monica, tornado...) - Good combo ender and good for surprises. Knockdown can lead to teleport setups. Safe at a certain range.

D,U - Teleport - Teleport that takes you behind or in front of the opponent. If the opponent is in the corner you will teleport in front of them with your back turned. Use sparingly in strings and for opponents wakeup.

D,B+HP - Vicinity Blast (Up Spark) - Combo tool, not useful as an anti air ironically.

Strings

LP, HP, LP, HP

HP, HP, F+LP

HP, HP, B+HK

B+HP, F+LP, LP+HP

F+HP, HK

F+HP, LK, LP+HP

LK, LK, HK

B+LK, LP, HP

Fatalities

D,F,D,F, LP - Just A Scratch (jump distance)

(Locked) - I haven't gotten this yet...

Fast Tags

LK, LK, HK, Tag

B+LK, LP, HP, Tag

F+HP, HK, Tag

Tag Kombos

HP, HP, Tag

B+HP, F+LP, Tag

F+HP, LK, Tag
Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

The answer to your question is no.

Comments

• Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,458
    Combos

Meterless

J. HP > st. LP, st. HP, st. LP > QCF + HP(shocker) > B + LK > B, F + LK (johnnyboughtacar) = 29%

J. HP > st. LP, st. HP > QCF + HP(shocker) > B + LK, LP, HP > B, F + LK (Tornado)

(J.HP) > st. LP, st.HP > QCF+HP > s.HP > QCB+HP > B,F+LK = 26% (w/out jump in)

(J.HP)> Back LK, St.LP, St.HP, DASH>St.Lk, St.LK, St.HK> Electric Fly = 28%

HP, LP, HP, Shocker, B+LK, LP, HP, Electric Fly

LK, LK, HK >Teleport, Shocker > HP > Vicinity Blast > Electric Fly 34%

LK, LK, HK > Teleport, Shocker > B+LK, LP, HP > Electric Fly

B+LK, LP, HP > Dash, Shocker > B+LK, LP, HP > Electric Fly

F+HK > Dash > Shocker > B+LK, LP, HP > Electric Fly

F+HK > Shocker > F+HP, HK > Electric Fly ( corner only, mix up starter strings at the start for variance)

X-Ray Combos

F+HK > Shocker > B+LK, HP > X-Ray

HP, LP, HP > Shocker > B+LK, HP > X-Ray

B+LK, LP, HP >Dash> Shocker > B+LK, HP > X-Ray

F+HK > Shocker > F+HP, HK > D+HP > X-Ray (corner only, use a different starter string for variance)

Videos

• Hotdawg_SKAHotdawg_SKA Joined: Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    J. HP > st. LP, st. HP > QCF + HP(shocker) > B + LK, LP, HP > B, F + LK (Tornado)
    I am Hotstuff!
  • Russell The GreatRussell The Great Joined: Posts: 19
    J. HP > st. LP, st. HP, st. LP > QCF + HP(shocker) > B + LK > B, F + LK (johnnyboughtacar) = 29%
    That was weird.
    Thank you and updated.

• Bionic PicklesBionic Pickles will srk for food. Joined: Posts: 39
    J.HP> Back LK, St.LP, St.HP, DASH>St.Lk, St.LK, St.HK> Electric Fly (<-,-> LK) not sure how much it does with J.HP. With out it the combo does 28%, so with J.HP it must be about 30%.
    launching weapons of mass destruction since 1801.
  • PigJazzPigJazz Not the Face Joined: Posts: 37
    So yeah Raiden might be the online stomping king. His basic combo string has an overhead so you can just destroy people online with it. Also, his teleport is amazing. Does anyone know the details for it, like recovery and startup?
  • PeckapowaPeckapowa Joined: Posts: 47
    i found a 35 percent meterless bnb that carries from almost corner to corner thats got a relatively easy input the only tricky part is the shocker part, and that merely requires good timing through the combo, it has no dash or teleport and does pretty beast damage

if someone wants to remake this pleease to i have know means to making a viable video image

<-lk lp hp <-lk lp hp shocker grab <-lk electric fly
    counter-strike source competitive, smash 64, quake 3
    mk9: Raiden plus other alpha males.
    marvel: rocket raccoon firebrand someone else
    I just made a 39% meterless combo!!!
    Its kind of hard to do but its pretty sick!
    j.HP>LK,LK,HK>teleport>Electric grab>LP>Vicinity Blast>B+LK>Superman

I also made a 41% wall combo that also uses no meter.
    J.HP>LK,LK,HK>Vicinity Blast>LP>Vicinity Blast>LP>Vicinity Blast>LP,HP,LP,HP>Electric grab>Superman

I WANT THE RAIDEN COMMUNITY TO THRIVE!
    That was weird.
    Nice, I'll add that soon. I've been updating the Sonya thread but I'll be working on this one next.

Be sure you study the guide on testyourmight.com, since its pretty good.

• Shoryu ReppaShoryu Reppa Sunday drivers... Joined: Posts: 1,565
    YouTube - Damdai in the Lab with Mortal Kombat 9

Dude came up with a pretty fuckin raunchy 43% meterless Raiden combo.
    I'm wondering if maybe adding X-Ray at the end would be worth it. Prolly not, but still.
    t: @Dammit_Rab
    EVO 2012 - SFxT Top 36 Qualifier, Winners out of Pool J25
    Host of The Podsumaki Podcast- The Green Ranger's favorite fighting game Podcast
  • HansssHansss aka TRUE! Joined: Posts: 81
    I did a 41% combo. Then I did the same combo but stopped 2 hits short to be able to land the X-ray move. It ended up doing 45% IIRC.

So IMO It's not worth doing an X-ray move unless you do it early in the combo.
  • ChronicBoomChronicBoom Joined: Posts: 3
    What are Raiden's best punishers to use after a block string??
    What are Raiden's best punishers to use after a block string??
    To my knowledge I would say any combo that starts with a jab. You could do lp,hp,lp>shocker>lp>vicinity blast>B+lk>super man.
    That was weird.
  • tarsiertarsier Joined: Posts: 25
    his teleport is omgwtfbbq, that's all i have to say.

the recovery is so short it's almost like you can literally spam it non-stop and never get punished.
  • BMsirhc1313BMsirhc1313 I'm 0ld Joined: Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Tom Brady just said he is #2 so now im in this thread. Hey guys.
  • jazz_agentjazz_agent Joined: Posts: 1
    LP, HP, LP, 26HP, LK, LK, HK, 46LK - try that for a 48-52% combo, 12 hit
    I've been trying to think of the best way to play him. So far IMO I think you should constantly be teleporting for non-stop aggression. I think Raiden is one of the aggressive characters in the game if played so. Out of all his moves, his teleport is definitely his best. With his superman coming to a close second. His super man comes out a little slow, but is extreamly good at punishing jump ins and aways. I have yet to try teleporting after a jump away and see if I could use shocker to get a bigger punish. Someone should try that out and see how well it works.
    I also think Raiden if one of the better punishers in the game because of his OP teleport. I did some messing around at what kind of punisher combos i could do after i teleport behind them and the best combo to make sure you hit them is B+lk,lp,hp>dash>shocker>lp>vicinity blast>B+lk>superman I can't remember exactly how much it does but I know its around 35%
    That was weird.
  • GalkoGalko Joined: Posts: 27
    When my friend played Raiden for the first time and went trough the movelist we were like That teleport sure looks nice, this guy looks promising... Today, after 1 day of practice, he OCVed my teams almost every time when we played versus tag :D

Insane character. He'd be good even with mediocre teleport since he's so fast and well rounded. But with the current teleport... No comment.
    Teleports get me killed too often than not, at least on netplay cause I can't react to anything.

• Foozie22Foozie22 Joined: Posts: 46
    Whats the timing on teleport then electrocute when trying to extend a combo? its seems impossible for me, they always fall to quickly.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Keegan_Foose
    Official punching bag of xbox live players acrossed the country.
    GT/PSN:Foozie22
    Whats the timing on teleport then electrocute when trying to extend a combo? its seems impossible for me, they always fall to quickly.
    Its definitely not easy, but it is possible. You probably only have a few frames to do it. The only combo that know that works is lk,lk,hk>teleport>electrocute
    That was weird.
  • RumlerRumler Thought you might need some ICCCCEEEEE Joined: Posts: 334
    The only combo that know that works is lk,lk,hk>teleport>electrocute

And even that combo seems to be fairly tough to pull off, though I've managed it a few times during training.
    Xbox Live: Semi Evil Ryu
    PSN: Rumler
    I would definitely agree it is very hard combo to pull off, but it is very impressing to see. :)
    I've actually went to a easier combo that does similar damage and is a lot easier. You can start it off a jumping punch, and then you do B+lk,lp,hp>Dash forward > electrocute >lp>vicinity blast>B+lk>superman. Timing the lp after the electrocute can be a little tricky, but if you can add the combo after the lp you add about 15% to your combo.
    That was weird.
  • BMsirhc1313BMsirhc1313 I'm 0ld Joined: Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The electrocute is the only thing thats turning me away from Raiden at the moment. I cant see to time it when hes about to let go and drop the opponent. Other than that, Raiden seems to have a lot of options for different situations.

His Superman is really strong, seems to eliminate opponents air game.
    His Superman is really strong, seems to eliminate opponents air game.

Thats one of the main reasons I wanted to stay with him. People have a strong tendency to jump forward when you jump away. Then you just elecrtic fly them before you hit the ground to catch them helpless in the air, and it even does decent damage as well as pushing them in the corner; and who doesn't like corners! :rofl:
    That was weird.
  • Doctor BDoctor B Joined: Posts: 10
    Hey, does anyone have suggestions for waht to do on wakeup, especially online? I find that once the lag gets to a certain point, I can't even uppercut jumpins properly and just end up getting jump punch-> uppercut to death.

So- wakeup electric fly? wakeup teleport? what's the deal?
    Hey, does anyone have suggestions for waht to do on wakeup, especially online? I find that once the lag gets to a certain point, I can't even uppercut jumpins properly and just end up getting jump punch-> uppercut to death.

So- wakeup electric fly? wakeup teleport? what's the deal?

When it comes to wakeups, I tend to just take the safe side and just block. I'd rather take a little chip than risk getting 30% + from my health bar. I'm not saying those are bad options, but the element of suprise is nice when you use them sparringly.
    That was weird.
  • RumlerRumler Thought you might need some ICCCCEEEEE Joined: Posts: 334
    If my opponent is on the move, I try to spam wakeup superman. The meter build-up is too good to pass up when you do a wakeup move.
    Xbox Live: Semi Evil Ryu
    PSN: Rumler
  • fang273fang273 Joined: Posts: 11
    YouTube - Damdai in the Lab with Mortal Kombat 9

Dude came up with a pretty fuckin raunchy 43% meterless Raiden combo.
    I'm wondering if maybe adding X-Ray at the end would be worth it. Prolly not, but still.

I'm pretty noob at this game and fighting games in general, but holy crap this combo is hard to pull off. I'm having trouble getting the second 334 consistent, let alone the 1212 after it.

Is there any trick to getting the moves to come out? It always seems like I either try to dial too much in and it overrides an earlier hit, or I wait too long and they drop too far.
    Is there any trick to getting the moves to come out? It always seems like I either try to dial too much in and it overrides an earlier hit, or I wait too long and they drop too far.
    Are you talking about specials or normals?
    That was weird.
    I practiced it for a half hour and it's getting better, I'm just terrible at timing the 334, 1, 334, 1212. Most of the time I try to start it too fast and I only end up getting a single 4, or a single 2. Trying to electrocute straight after teleporting is probably going to make me break a controller some day, though.

On another note, getting this combo down will give me a corner combo, and a teleport turns it into a mid combo. Is there anything else I should be practicing before PSN gets back up?
    On another note, getting this combo down will give me a corner combo, and a teleport turns it into a mid combo. Is there anything else I should be practicing before PSN gets back up?

SWEEPS. Sweeping is so important to learn in this game. It gets them in a bad habit of blacking low, so your overhead combo will hit more often.
    That was weird.
  • RaidenBeastRaidenBeast Joined: Posts: 1
    When you are attempting lk,lk,hk>teleport>electricute...... Input lk,lk,hk,teleport immediately don't wait to teleport even if you are still kicking because the teleport can be buffeted with the lk lk hk and then wait till the teleport starts and then input the electorate real fast
    Tom Brady mentioned that tp into electrocute wasn't particularly hard on a stream today, so I spent an hour in practice mode working on it, and it's still inconsistent. I'm either missing something, or he's just a super pro raiden.

I have gotten better though. I've noticed if you try to aim the electrocute to hit when their head is in your chest/neck area, it works most of the time. Also, during the electrocute if you watch their feet, you can time your kick for when the feet start moving backwards the second time.
    I think when timing the electrocute you need to press the button to finish the move as soon as raiden is done teleporting. I can do it pretty well, but i spent a couple hours in training trying to get good at it.

So what are your guys opinions on Raidens alternate outfit? I think its one of the best in the game.
    That was weird.
  • kwaynnkwaynn Joined: Posts: 1
    For those of you having a problem getting an electrocute after a teleport, try comboing a front punch into an electrocute after the teleport. The timing is much easier and adds an extra hit. Wait until Raiden is done teleporting and just press the front punch button and immediately follow with electrocute input.
  • Foozie22Foozie22 Joined: Posts: 46
    Is there any low hitting combos that can lead to some decent damage? My bnb's execution is pretty good, its just that other than mixing in the sweep here and there I have no real high low pressure game. Any tips are welcome.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Keegan_Foose
    Official punching bag of xbox live players acrossed the country.
    GT/PSN:Foozie22
    Nope, no real high/low mixup with raiden. You shouldn't really need the lows, since you have the threat of frame advantage/ tp grab shenanigans, and sweeps.
  • Trini_JudokaTrini_Judoka salty...since 09 Joined: Posts: 1,317
    The electrocute is the only thing thats turning me away from Raiden at the moment. I cant see to time it when hes about to let go and drop the opponent. Other than that, Raiden seems to have a lot of options for different situations.

I'm finding double tapping to help keep them from dropping out the shocker. Not mashing bc then you mess up the rest of the combo. So they way I like to think of it is adding a second button press to the combo. Might help, might not.
    Currently playing: I wish. gotta work son

psn/xbl: JoBronze

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
  • goodonegoodone Joined: Posts: 78
    bnb I use-

jp-334-tele/shocker-334-superman. once you get the shocker after the tele then its a cool 40% combo.
  • Trini_JudokaTrini_Judoka salty...since 09 Joined: Posts: 1,317
    bnb I use-

jp-334-tele/shocker-334-superman. once you get the shocker after the tele then its a cool 40% combo.

I find using f+2 after the TP an easier way to land the shocker, just in case anyone is struggling with that part.
    Currently playing: I wish. gotta work son

psn/xbl: JoBronze

Brooklyn Bitchezzz
  • irl II Wilsonirl II Wilson Joined: Posts: 416
    Who is the best counter pick for raiden ?
    "I remind you of the things you were made to forget."
  • fallenlordzfallenlordz Music is to Loud Joined: Posts: 63
    thanks for this