Orlando Thread: CEO De Mayo May 5th, CEO 2012 June 15-17 ceogaming.org

1111213141517»

Comments

• TheAbsolutionTheAbsolution Joined: Posts: 737
    Yo Tony, it was great seeing you dude!
    Ian, if you're reading this. You fucked up.
  • Kaizer RoseKaizer Rose Joined: Posts: 95
    edited August 2013
    im moving from nyc to florida and i wanted to know what the tourney scene is like down there? here in nyc there are at least 2 tourneys a week: savage saturday and battle circuit and the occasional side tourney from whoever and being as i just started to come out to local events. all i know about flroida is TNS and CEO what else is there
    Post edited by Preppy on
    UMVC3: Magneto/Dante/Doom
    USF4: Poison
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,935 admin
    Moving to the regional forums.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• StorytellerStoryteller My avatar is an accurate portrayal of me. Joined: Posts: 2,741
    Hey guys, just a reminder - "King of the Bling" is coming up in October in Antioch, TN at Game Galaxy! We had a great turnout last year and we hope to have more this year!

- Your cover fee lets you play all of our arcade and pinball machines while you wait on your matches!

- Pot bonuses everywhere! $500 1st place extra for SFAE, Injustice, and UMVC3!!
    You won't want to miss this event! Tell your friends, it's going to be wild!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1399306273620188/
    I'm here to kick ass and play video games, and I'm all outta ass.
    Richard, what is best in life? To two hit stun your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women. - Andrew Glasscock, 2012

TTT2 - Bob/Feng, UMVC3 - Sentinel/Deadpool/Wesker, VF5 - Wolf Hawkfield
  • Black JesusBlack Jesus Throwbacks Joined: Posts: 3,189
    Forever alone in the Orlando thread.
    ...but you ain't hear that from me.
  • VanSwordVanSword Joined: Posts: 19
    wish there was a local scene here in Kissimmee.
  • Shocky IIShocky II Churn that butter. Joined: Posts: 411
    I can't wait for CEO De Mayo 2013!
  • ShinBlankaShinBlanka 神Blanka Joined: Posts: 7,165 mod
    Ok for those that have called the hotel to reserve the normal double bed rooms under the FR17 group rate $93(normally $120) and there are sold out so let me see if I can get some more rooms added! I TOLD Y'ALL THEY WOULD START GOING FAST! Give me some time and i'll call the hotel tomorrow morning to try and get more hotel rooms open for the FR17 group. If I can get more rooms added to the group you better reserve them when you can! We are probably going to book the whole hotel full of FR17 peeps! Also be advised that all rooms under the FR group rate will receive free wifi throughout your stay at FR17!

"As of right now only rooms available online for the FR discounted rate are the following:"

1 king bed = $93 per night- normally $119
    2 double bed executive floor= $119 per night- normally $150
    1 king bed executive floor= $113 per night- normally $150
    1 king junior suite= $133 per night-normally $245 ask Tray "Iceman" because this is what they tried to charge him per night without the FR group rate!"

If I can gets some more rooms make sure you grab them at https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=10704122

There's only 18 days until online registration is closed so you need to get that badge asap to save $10 on your badges. Register online for FINAL ROUND XVII and save $10 off the badge. Go to http://www.finalround.org/register.cfm to sign up for the games/badges so we can make pools well in advance.
    (FinalRound) A staple in the Fighting Game Community!
    New FR site: http://www.finalround.org
    Rest in Peace: To my MOMMA , Auntie Toosie, Uncle Thon, Craig Dufour "MAXIMUS" and Brian "Mummy-B" Graham and my 2 unborn children.
  • soapyysoapyy Joined: Posts: 4
    Is there any small tournaments going on? Or fighting game get-together in the central florida area? I'm relativity to the FGC so I'm not sure what happens in the area other than CEO.
  • mattmonster91mattmonster91 Joined: Posts: 11
    Me and my fiance are opening a arcade near universal area in august her dad owned an arcade in japan and took some of the games back when he sold it its more for fun so im not afraid of not making much profit since he is rich as god so far i got a s3 sf anniversary edition and svc2 machine with 2 ddr machines i have 2 questions though

first how well do you think it will do i moved here 10 months ago so i dont know about the scene here yet

and where can i find arcade cabnet online ebay isnt looking to good im planing to get a sf4 tekken tag 2 umk3 and a few beat em up games so any help i would appreciate
    Me and my fiance are opening a arcade near universal area in august her dad owned an arcade in japan and took some of the games back when he sold it its more for fun so im not afraid of not making much profit since he is rich as god so far i got a s3 sf anniversary edition and svc2 machine with 2 ddr machines i have 2 questions though

first how well do you think it will do i moved here 10 months ago so i dont know about the scene here yet

and where can i find arcade cabnet online ebay isnt looking to good im planing to get a sf4 tekken tag 2 umk3 and a few beat em up games so any help i would appreciate

like i said moneys not an issue for us so let me know what games you guys think would do well and ill ry my best to find them
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 511
    Do you... actually know how much a SFIV cabinet costs? Because they're not cheap. Even if you're not concerned about making a profit, just running everything isn't going to exactly be free.

And if you're asking an internet forum about the potential popularity of an arcade location, I really hope you've got some other research of your own backing up whatever investments you're going to be making into building a new arcade, because this sounds like a recipe for disaster right now.
    my fiances father is worth bllions lol so moneys no cost he bought an arcade just for me and her when we were in japan but were trying to have one now here in orlando how big is the fighting game scene here were doing it for fun so im not trying to make a living off it i plan to throw tournaments every weekend and stay open to 1 am on weekends ect just give me some ideas guys
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    edited April 2014
    There already is/was an arcade near universal. Giant thing with a mix of modernish games and a lot of classic stuff. The overwhelming majority of the Orlando fighting game community at the time didn't even know it existed. It definitely was a shitty place for a fighting game scene... most people don't want to drive that far to play expensive coin-ops when they can stay near civilization and go to casual meetups for free.

You're much better of doing it somewhere near UCF--where actual people live--than out on the touristy side of town.

Try joining the Orlando facebook group and asking questions there. Most of the Orlando crew uses it for meetups and information.

edit: I should add: if you really want to do something to help the Orlando scene, you're much better off getting in touch with Jebailey and figuring out something smart to do with said money. A money pit arcade in the touristy nether-regions of O-town doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    edited April 2014
    He might not know who Jebailey is, but I'll give him a heads up about the thread.

Also, if you open an arcade in the tourist area you'll be in competition with Player One Bar, Fun Spot, Magical Midway and who knows what else.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,935 admin
    Moving to the more appropriate forum.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

Search for the Orlando Fighting Game Community group on Facebook to stay up to date with local events. There's always hostings during the week for different games.
    disney quest has the potential to be amazing all they have is a tekken 5 cabnet and mvc2 though is there any other arcades that have fighting games in orlando?
  • SæQuoSæQuo Joined: Posts: 267
    Since everyone is acting all srk about shit I will actually help.

Orlando is a great place for something like this. 2 reasons. 1 is it is a great place to visit from a florida stand point (I live in Jacksonville).2 is, there is a huge scene in south and central Florida and when they have a god place to meet and fight it makes them way more hungry.

Since you are not worried about money, do not worry about getting in contact with anyone for anything. Serious, just make the place and promote it like you are looking to. People love to play games in that part of florida, and they will drive if they know it is a good place. Getting involved with FGC politics is just stupid, fighting game people will show up, no worries. I am not saying to try and split the scene in any way, but those two scenes are actually rather large with many casuals looking for another place to level up. I am saying do not cater to the core of the FGC, instead go after them all since you have the finances to take a loss and only help casuauls players for the first 3 months - 3 years.

About cabs tho. Most if not all cabs are running on that ultra cab type thing. You buy a cab but it is empty inside and you put in the system you want to run on it (XBOX360/PS3/Wii/PC) the monitor (ASUS/Hi-Def/CRT) and the sticks(Mostly MadCatz TE's of some kind, but people do like Hori Sticks and the Injustice Sticks By PDP/Quanba). If you look at the new arcade in Texas that is how they are running most of the games, while they did go vintage with some cabs, like you are finding out, they are just hard to come by. There are Korean and Japanese sites to order them from but I am not familiar with them at all.

Really just going to the american arcade cab site to see the cab itself and know what direction you are going in will help lots.

https://www.facebook.com/UltraArcade

That is the arcade in Texas that just opened and they are still adding old school cabs (coin ops) as they find them, but they made sure to just have the core of their initial setups be those X-arcade "type" Cabs. They had a theme (Killer instinct Ultra Arcade) so they made sure to invest in those coin ops (KI 1 and KI 2) for opening but they continue to build on those types of cabs all the time.
    My C.O.B. will always ride B.O.E. Put that Pussy on a Pedestal!!!
    Skinny Jeans and Smeidum Tees, White Bitches wit DD's. Watching my kids grow like I am waterin' seeds.
  • BasedBased Lf> ae players in florida Joined: Posts: 4
    I've never known how to go about meeting people to play offline with for SSF4 AE but it sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to up my game. I'm new to SRK, so I'm not sure how this works. Inbox me or add my PSN xXStealthSneakXx
  • BasedBased Lf> ae players in florida Joined: Posts: 4
    I've never known how to go about meeting people to play offline with for SSF4 AE but it sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to up my game. I'm new to SRK, so I'm not sure how this works. Inbox me or add my PSN xXStealthSneakXx
  • TheDuctTapeNinjaTheDuctTapeNinja Potbelly of the Coon Joined: Posts: 116
    I already requested in at the facebook group, but I'd figure I'd go ahead and post here as well. I'll be down in Florida for a vacation and figured why not play some fighting games. I'll be there from June 2nd-12th so if anything is going down that'd be sick. I mostly play Marvel 3, and that's really it, I can play some other games, but not half as well.
    Anyways, it'd be cool to get some out-of-state games in.
  • blood spit nightblood spit night Joined: Posts: 96
    I'll be bringing an ST setup with a UD-CPS2 and a PVM so hopefully there will be a enough interest for a side tourney
  • soapyysoapyy Joined: Posts: 4
    I am down to help with any organization stuff and know of a place that we could possibly go to play some fighting games although they only have PC's. Just let me know if anyone wants to set anything up. I live in Seminole County btw.
  • FlameIceFlameIce Joined: Posts: 235
    This place still alive? lol Looking for some casuals.
    Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.
    -Albert Einstein
  • autobotclownautobotclown Joined: Posts: 12
    Is cvs2 gonna be there?
  • SirSerpaSirSerpa Joined: Posts: 93
    Daytona has two Gaming Centers we use for weekly sessions.

Thursday
    Arena LAN Center
    $5 Unlimited Fighting Games 6pm to 1am. Usually USFIV night.

Friday
    Gamer's Sanctuary
    $3 Unlimited BYOG 5pm to 1am. Usually the "Others" night- TTT2, Garou, Marvel, etc.
    Skrull Invasion
    "Just remember when you're not practicing that someone somewhere is and when you meet them, they will win." -Ed Macauley