Southtown Arcade - SF, CA - THE EXILES 2013.06.15, 12PM @ goforaloop Gallery

Comments

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Im not exactly familiar with the SF area but does a BART station get off anywhere nearby? If theres cvs2 ID LOVE to come play. does SF have a CVS2 scene?

6 years too late boy.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • K17020K17020 Joined: Posts: 133
    Anyone in the Chico/Sacramento area interested in carpooling ?
  • Gamer Gone BadGamer Gone Bad V-Town Cutthoat Joined: Posts: 110
    As an old skool fighting gamer this is fantastic news. I remember there was hole in the wall arcades all over the place in SF when I was a kid. If this place treats the community fairly, as it seems like it will, then I hope the community embraces it and keeps it alive. I'll definitely show support whenever I cross the bridge, jus lemme know when that CvS2 gets fixed though.
    Humanityyyyyyy disgusts me!
  • NegroNinjaNegroNinja N-Word Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,620
    I shall drop by during my down time!
    AKA Hellpockets/Hotpockets/HaxMurderer/Darth Sharpton
  • buzzsawbuzzsaw Joined: Posts: 72
    Just got back from checking the place out, here are some thoughts on the place.

First off, the place is small. Not necessarily a bad thing, but probably wouldn't be possible to hold tourneys here. Choice of games is pretty random (Vsav and CVS1 lol) but am looking forward to another place to have SSF4AE and KOF13. Japanese parts on everything is nice, but those random flat top seimitsu buttons on some of the cabs are weird as hell. The chairs there are ghetto and are way too low to the ground. When I went there the jab button on the 3S cab was busted and there were people from gamepro or some shit to take photos of the place. Once AE and KOF13 are there, I can definitely see myself coming back on a regular basis.
  • drawingfreak316drawingfreak316 Joined: Posts: 2
    Just got back myself. It is a nice small little arcade right next to the tunnel. location wise is quite nice since you can grab some drinks or food right next door pretty much. The inside the cabinets are like they said japanese styled cabinets with sanwa, seimitsu, and for kof happ buttons lol. I liked the place and the atmosphere. This place needs more people to come, I can see in the future this can be a hotspot. This place feels like a place back in Hong kong where they have small little arcades and that is fine. I'll def come by again good place.
    Just got back(to work) from checking the place out. I think it's a great thing they're doing, and the size is of course forgivable as San Francisco had a very large sized arcade that had shit to choose from, this however is the complete opposite and I myself welcome the addition.

I do agree with Danny on the stool issue, they are pretty low, you end up looking at some of the screens from a bad angle, but then again I'm a big man so I'm surprised I even fit at these cabs. Of course this is on a specific basis. Accent Core's stools were low, but 3S was fine. As far as buttons go, I got no real preference here so everything's fine for me.

The staff's also really friendly and approachable. I might go back later, work permitting, but I'm gonna be there Saturday. All in all, pretty cool place. With support it'll only get better.
  • fateXd2fateXd2 The Mayor of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 350
    Just got back(to work) from checking the place out. I think it's a great thing they're doing, and the size is of course forgivable as San Francisco had a very large sized arcade that had shit to choose from, this however is the complete opposite and I myself welcome the addition.

Why you hating on my Chinatown arcade. I used to body the triads in mvc2
    Why you hating on my Chinatown arcade. I used to body the triads in mvc2

Talkin about tilt foo!
  • FaykFayk OVAHDRIVE! Joined: Posts: 330
    Just got back from checking the place out, here are some thoughts on the place.

First off, the place is small. Not necessarily a bad thing, but probably wouldn't be possible to hold tourneys here. Choice of games is pretty random (Vsav and CVS1 lol) but am looking forward to another place to have SSF4AE and KOF13. Japanese parts on everything is nice, but those random flat top seimitsu buttons on some of the cabs are weird as hell. The chairs there are ghetto and are way too low to the ground. When I went there the jab button on the 3S cab was busted and there were people from gamepro or some shit to take photos of the place. Once AE and KOF13 are there, I can definitely see myself coming back on a regular basis.

Vsav is an amazing game, so if no one plays it, it says more about the community (in a bad way) than the arcade.

CvS1 at least is a case of a game that was pretty much directly superseded by another game.
  • Reiki.KitoReiki.Kito Joined: Posts: 411
    I stopped by and loved it. The staff makes me feel right at home and the games are well-kept. Having experienced arcades in the past in San Francisco, this one is by far one of the best. I do agree that the selection leans a lot to fighting games, but with the space, what can you do? I imagine that will change as people come.

This place yells "Build around me!". It's got a lot of potential and with how open-minded the staff seem, I bet they would be open to running some tournaments or letting people record matches.

Will be a regular attendee, even more so when KOFXIII comes in. I'm really hoping for games like Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code to show up, but there needs to be an interest. Any Melty Blood players want to sound off on that?
  • HaikuWarHaikuWar The Best Looking Player EVER Joined: Posts: 2,094
    You guys should open up a sister store DEEP east in the eastbay, I think it would do great because all the high school kids would go there after school and spend their cash.
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    Are they like drummer's stools or something? lol

I'll check this out when I get a day off, $11 roundtrip via bart whoo
  • southtownarcadesouthtownarcade Come play with me. Joined: Posts: 83
    Hello, SRK!

Just wanted to check in and say thank you to everyone who came to visit us today! Your feedback is extremely helpful and very much appreciated! Please do not be afraid to tell us what you think; we're always looking for ways to improve and make Southtown a better place for all of our Guests!

@HaikuWar Someday! We'd love to expand, but right now, we are focused on our flagship location in San Francisco!

@Reiki.Kito Thank you so much for the kind words! You brought us the brownies, right? Thanks!

@buzzsaw Sorry to hear that the controls on Third Strike were not properly setup when you arrived! The problem was fixed around 4:30PM; please talk to a staff member at the information desk next time you visit, and we will hook you up with a freebie!

For those of you who've asked in the thread, as well as in person, about tournaments and streaming: We definitely have plans to hold Tournaments and Ranking Battles in the near future! Our space is small, but we believe that with proper planning, we can make a decent-sized tournament work!

If you have experience in running Tournaments, Ranking Battles or Streams, please contact us via e-mail on our website! We want to work with members of the community to make sure we get everything right!

If anyone has suggestions for games they would like to see, please post on our Facebook wall, or Tweet at us!

We'll check in on the forum from time to time, but, remember, the best way to talk to us is to Tweet at us!

Southtown Arcade (southtownarcade) on Twitter
    You can also post messages on our Facebook wall!
    Southtown Arcade | Facebook

Thanks,
    Southtown Arcade
    Southtown Arcade | San Francisco, California | southtownarcade.com | @southtownarcade on Twitter
  • CrispyTacozCrispyTacoz I got those Meow Mix-ups Joined: Posts: 1,532
    Sweeeeet. A quarter a pop (excluding KOF13) is gonna have that Chuck E. Cheese feeling back. Now I want some pizza. :3
    Follow @CrispyTacoz for updates on NorCal tournaments and new video news!
    UMvC3: Any team with Felicia in it.
    KOFXIII: Terry/K'/Iori, Kula/Mature/Yuri
    Injustice: Catwoamn/Cyborg/Green "YOLO" Lantern
    When CVS2 works and you have AE ill be there a lot, depending on the cost of AE lol...
  • DakanyaDakanya (>^(>O.o)> Joined: Posts: 62
    I stopped by and loved it. The staff makes me feel right at home and the games are well-kept. Having experienced arcades in the past in San Francisco, this one is by far one of the best. I do agree that the selection leans a lot to fighting games, but with the space, what can you do? I imagine that will change as people come.

This place yells "Build around me!". It's got a lot of potential and with how open-minded the staff seem, I bet they would be open to running some tournaments or letting people record matches.

Will be a regular attendee, even more so when KOFXIII comes in. I'm really hoping for games like Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code to show up, but there needs to be an interest. Any Melty Blood players want to sound off on that?

hi. i play melty blood. ok going back to lurking now. btw nci is in 2 weeks (may 7) and there will be mbaa ps2 there. see dustloop for more info if interested! its at sjsu.
    The usefulness of a cup is its emptiness. Bruce Lee.
    @Southtown: Yep, that's me! Not kind words, just the truth. I really like your place and I don't think I've been so energized about something opening since the Metreon opened when I was a kid. Thank you for putting in that time to be there.

@Dakanya: I'll check it out. I heard that Current Code is out, the latest version of the game. I'm hoping if enough people show interest, they'll install the game. I'm trying to get my friends and the Melty Blood community to show interest because I REALLY want a place in the city where I can play some MB.
  • chickenchicken Joined: Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Place has potential. Definitely need to swap out those flat seimitsu-imitations, though. I noticed some of the other machines had sanwas and they are noticeably more comfortable.
    Remember the BEARcade 11/18/2005
  • fethersfethers Nose to Tail Joined: Posts: 21
    Will be stopping by tonight. Great location for me, with proximity to work and friends. Thanks for beefing up the scene in The City!

Edit: Damn, Tilt really is closed forever. Well, good timing!
    Dost thou compassionately aid the bird, or honor thy Liege and continue?

Fethers.
  • starkilledstarkilled Black and white (I'm really black) Joined: Posts: 1,702
    Nice, now when I'm done with a patient I have to see I can slide on over here. EPIC
    fuck a relationship. god told that stupid bitch eve not to eat the fuckin mango or whatever, the bitch did, and fucked everyone. fuck women! shout out to snakes! -jimmy1200
  • tenkaitenkai Joined: Posts: 10
    Thinking about checking out the arcade today. I play Guilty Gear and am trying to pick up Vampire Savior. Anyone who plays these games going today?
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,781
    If you guys can get Alpha 2 or 3, I'll never leave.
    I make Jazz-Hop/Soul-Hop: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • DakanyaDakanya (>^(>O.o)> Joined: Posts: 62
    @Reiki.Kito yea current code has been out for sometime now, about 8 months? i think it came out last summer. however there is a new arcade update coming on may 18. fyi norcal mb is mostly south bay now. there used to be a small scene up in sf but the guy who hosted at sfsu graduated a year ago or so.
    The usefulness of a cup is its emptiness. Bruce Lee.
  • snkcubesnkcube Joined: Posts: 13
    I went and checked out the place today. Overall, it was very nice! The staff were very friendly after I told one of them about the KoF13 control issues. Some of the SF2: HF kick buttons on P1 side weren't working so well and it seemed like sound wasn't working on the SF3: TS machine. But I'll be coming back for sure when I'm in the area. Everyone needs to support their local arcades!
    @Reiki.Kito yea current code has been out for sometime now, about 8 months? i think it came out last summer. however there is a new arcade update coming on may 18. fyi norcal mb is mostly south bay now. there used to be a small scene up in sf but the guy who hosted at sfsu graduated a year ago or so.

Yea, he's a friend of mine. Even if it's down south, I'd like to get something started here again.
  • southtownarcadesouthtownarcade Come play with me. Joined: Posts: 83
    @snkcube Hi there! We're guessing you were the "lucky" Guest who was the guinea pig immediately after we installed KOF13 into the cabinet! We moved the buttons around and everything is now okay! Sorry about that! Stop by and talk to someone at the Information Desk and we'll hook you up!

The 1P kicks on Hyper Fighting have been replaced (it appears someone had a little too much fun "mashing") and the volume on 3S has been cranked to max!

Please don't be afraid to let us know if you experience issues or if we can do something better! We want to get everything right! Besides, you get a free game or two for your feedback!

See you guys this weekend!

Southtown Arcade
    Southtown Arcade | San Francisco, California | southtownarcade.com | @southtownarcade on Twitter
  • 3rd strike3rd strike JAV 大好きです Joined: Posts: 430
    and the volume on 3S has been cranked to max!

Should crank kof13's volume to the max too!!

Was wondering why 3S was so loud compare to other machines.
    90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
  • Pat the GreatPat the Great UCB Street Fighter Alumni Joined: Posts: 562
    GGs y'all. I was playing some scrubby ass 3s and GGXX (tall guy with the white headphones on). first time touching a GGXX cab in years, man. felt good.
    -Pat the Great
    "You can't spell "scrub" without UCB."
    -Sam Yoon

Originally posted by Pat the Great
    omg does doom do birthday parties and bar mitzvahs, too?

quote: Originally posted by Lovely Kitsune
    Uh no, unless the Jewish people changed their traditions and a bar mitzvah now consists of a dude in a green cape throwing rocks at little boys.

I guess eating 20 rocks to the face does prove that you're a man. I mean after all, isn't that what a bar mitzvah is? The celebration of a boy's transition into manhood?
  • Mike MegaMike Mega 180 Feets Per Minute Joined: Posts: 74
    Big ups for opening this spot! I'll definitely be making the trek here after work or even during lunch since its so close to the financial district.
    SSFIV:AE - Dhalsim, Makoto, Cody, DeeJay
    3rd Strike - Dudley, Makoto
    SF2/ST - DeeJay, E. Honda
  • The_EddieThe_Eddie Joined: Posts: 177
    visited southtown today, without a doubt its the best arcade in SF at the moment ^_^
  • RobbitRobbit Joined: Posts: 180
    Visited yesterday, definitely like the place even though it's a little on the small. I was that D-spamming Noel player that showed up near closing. Any chance BBCS2 will ever come to the states? Great arcade, I hope to be able to come here more often
  • snkcubesnkcube Joined: Posts: 13
    Visited yesterday, definitely like the place even though it's a little on the small. I was that D-spamming Noel player that showed up near closing. Any chance BBCS2 will ever come to the states? Great arcade, I hope to be able to come here more often

There may be some hope, Mr. Robbit.
    @tastylumpia ...and everyone else that asked about CS2! Unfortunately, it seems that Planet Zero has a special arrangement with Arc System Works; as such, we are unable to obtain a copy of the game for ourselves. If anyone happens to have a contact at Arc System Works, or maybe even Aksys, that is willing to help us out, we're more than happy to see where it goes!

However, we are considering setting up a timer-based CS2 setup. Stay tuned to our Twitter account for more details on that!
  • GensouGoroshiGensouGoroshi Streamer/Media Manager at Final Bout Productions Joined: Posts: 692
    Hopefully I'll be able to make the trek sometime but I have some friends in SF that'll likely become regulars.
    @DaGodhand & @Final_Bout on Twitter
    Streaming @ twitch.tv/dagodhand & twitch.tv/final_bout
  • RaikanamiRaikanami TNT - We Know Drama Joined: Posts: 454
    yall got internet? yall wanna run a tournament? is it possible if i can help stream it for FinestKO? DM me for details, i can stream for iplaywinner or FinestKO
    yall got internet? yall wanna run a tournament? is it possible if i can help stream it for FinestKO? DM me for details, i can stream for iplaywinner or FinestKO

Just as a reference he is an amazing streamer

Btw once I got the Bart station stop and busses down ill try to be a casual there. Any plans for a special day like other arcades do to attract everyone on a single day?
  • The PhantomnautThe Phantomnaut Too obsessive over Korean arcade parts. Joined: Posts: 1,807
    I guess the Cyberleads have VGA inputs to it shouldn't be a problem for tournaments on Xbox 360. Just need a component to VGA cable for streaming/recording.
    I guess the Cyberleads have VGA inputs to it shouldn't be a problem for tournaments on Xbox 360. Just need a component to VGA cable for streaming/recording.

or VGA to component, that would really help. hopefully i can drop by and talk with the people over there.
  • eltwopeeeltwopee Learn 2 Play Joined: Posts: 1,578
    are the SF4 cabs gonan be real or console? also MvC3? is that really coming out for arcade?
    are the SF4 cabs gonan be real or console? also MvC3? is that really coming out for arcade?

I'm pretty sure MvC3 is on a console cab setup.