The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppdJoined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
So I recently got a gaming pc and im loving steam lately. Ive been playing a lot of Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands. Ive only had my pc for about 3 months but due to the awsomeness that is Steam I have picked up about 20 or 25 games since then. The only problem I have is I dont have any motherfuckin' friends to play that shit with. It gets lonely by yourself.

So if you play shit on Steam post in here, talk about games you're playing, rant about games you're playing, post them deals and just make some friends for that shit. Good times!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/19/super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-coming-to-steam/

Steam deal right now is Worms Reloaded for 9.99. Im not into that so its not something im interested in but someone else might be.

Edit - Oh yeah, my Steam I.D. is...you guessed it, Drizzt519.

p.s. if there is a thread like this im sorry. I did a search and looked through like 5 pages but didnt find nothing but the TF2 thread. And most of them motherfuckers that post in that thread aint ever playing that shit.
Post edited by drizzt360 on
when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
but so, too, the fuel of faith
-Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

Comments

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • CSword123CSword123 oh god OHGOD! why did I think this was a good idea? please... just- I'M SORRY!! Joined: Posts: 1,196
    p.s. if there is a thread like this im sorry. I did a search and looked through like 5 pages but didnt find nothing but the TF2 thread. And most of them motherfuckers that post in that thread aint ever playing that shit.

I still play! :D Hell, I wish there was an SRK server in the first place!

I'll send you an invite to the SRK group!
    KI: Jago
    GG: Chipp/Ky
    UMVC3: Team "Rider May Die" - Ghost Rider/Vergil/Dante
    Best KI community on the webs: www.killerinstinctonline.net
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I really hate the search on this site. That shit did not pop up for me. Maybe I should have gone further than page 5. Like I said, im sorry.

I think im in the SRK group, but every time I look there is only like 3 people playing or so and the one time I joined a game it was people just standing across from eachother in a box like room, blasting away. Very boring.

Yo! Geese Pants arent you a mod or something. Close this bitch and I'll hit up that other thread.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • CSword123CSword123 oh god OHGOD! why did I think this was a good idea? please... just- I'M SORRY!! Joined: Posts: 1,196
    I think im in the SRK group, but every time I look there is only like 3 people playing or so and the one time I joined a game it was people just standing across from eachother in a box like room, blasting away. Very boring.

Well this is a site for people who primarily play fighting games. Most of which are only available on consoles. You can help spread the word though.
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    I signed up for Steam last week. Shit is awesome. Got Half Life, Audiosurf, and Oddworld Strangers Wrath. Got stuck in Half Life bout 15 minutes in and Audiosurf has dominated my time cuz it + Weed as a K.O. Haven't touched Oddworld yet tho.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    I signed up for Steam last week. Shit is awesome. Got Half Life, Audiosurf, and Oddworld Strangers Wrath. Got stuck in Half Life bout 15 minutes in and Audiosurf has dominated my time cuz it + Weed as a K.O. Haven't touched Oddworld yet tho.

Audiosurf is old news. It's all about that Beat Hazard shit! >:D
    Well, there is a TF2 SRK Server and I have it logged or whatever you call it. And going by the thread you would think a lot of people play that shit but no one ever is. And fuck that shit about fighting games, only a handfull of people in GD play them things.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    Audiosurf is old news. It's all about that Beat Hazard shit! >:D
    Beat Hazard?
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    Well, there is a TF2 SRK Server and I have it logged or whatever you call it. And going by the thread you would think a lot of people play that shit but no one ever is. And fuck that shit about fighting games, only a handfull of people in GD play them things.

A lot of people play PC games here but they just don't happen to be on Steam (SC2, WOW, LoL, etc.) Most stop playing older games after awhile anyway.

And are you sure that's the official SRK server? It might just be an ip of someone elses.
    I really dont know. I just hit up the TF2 thread when I got my pc and TF2 and looked at the last 3 or 4 pages and they was talking about an SRK server and I joined it but only like 3 people are on it at any given time. Im still new to pc gaming so I dont know how all that server stuff works. Im use to consoles, where there are no servers to look for.

As for them deals, I have bought so many games due to them. Mostly old games but hell, at the price they ask you just cant go wrong. I would buy new games that have multiplayer or co-op if I had people to play that shit with but I dont. I have like 7 people on my friends list. One of them is my buddy and the rest are people he plays WoW with. And they dont play nothing but wow and wow like games like LOL and I just aint into MMO's anymore.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• highluluhighlulu Joined: Posts: 3,814
    borderlands was an awesome game... if i had had more people to play with while i was into it would have played it sooo much more.
    Umvc3 - (Nova/Frank/Dante) (Nova/Spencer/Strange) (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
    SF4 - Cammy, Ken
    Word, I played through it with both the hunter and the siren on the xbox. Shit was only 7.99 for the GOTY version on steam so I couldnt pass it up. them deals.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

I really dont know. I just hit up the TF2 thread when I got my pc and TF2 and looked at the last 3 or 4 pages and they was talking about an SRK server and I joined it but only like 3 people are on it at any given time. Im still new to pc gaming so I dont know how all that server stuff works. Im use to consoles, where there are no servers to look for.

He never mentioned that it was an SRK server. If you go to the IP, the server is actually called The Coloured Pylons. And I'd rather have vanilla rotation anyway. :p
    Beat Hazard?
    There's a demo for it! :D
    Whatever the fuck man. I already told that motherfucker to close this bitch up and im only posting cause you keep posting. lol
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    We used to do dedicated gaming nights for TF2, and put up an announcement in the steam group and try to get people to join up. We can try to schedule one again, I think people play TF2 less frequently but a lot of us would be willing to dust off the game and play if something was organized

I can post an announcement if we can come up with a time/date that most people can make

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
    Yeah, I would be down for that for sure. I havent played TF2 much since I got it because of the daunting task if figuring out what server and server type to play on. That shit truly confuses me.

Any day is good for me as long as it starts at around 8 or 9 pst. Its hard for me to get on before that with the family and all. I know 8 or 9 pst isnt a good time for a lot of people either so I dunno. I could play earlier if needed, I generally just like to wait till the kids are in bed.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

We used to do dedicated gaming nights for TF2, and put up an announcement in the steam group and try to get people to join up. We can try to schedule one again, I think people play TF2 less frequently but a lot of us would be willing to dust off the game and play if something was organized

I can post an announcement if we can come up with a time/date that most people can make

Sounds epic! Count me in!
    Yeah, I would be down for that for sure. I havent played TF2 much since I got it because of the daunting task if figuring out what server and server type to play on. That shit truly confuses me.

I play mostly on SourceOP servers, but it is usually crowded as hell. Also the occasional TF2ware mod :)
  • Dirt Mc GirtDirt Mc Girt OLD DIRTY Joined: Posts: 1,089
    left4dead 2 $6.80 today

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,651
    Bumping this because this is the closet thing to a PC general thread I can find. I'm late on it but I just found that Gotham City Imposters is free to play. I enjoyed what I played of it at a friend's house so I'm gotta give the game a shot.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,631
    Call me old fashioned but with people not being able to play PC Assassin's Creed for a week because Ubisoft servers were down, the srm bullshit of some games, and a general feeling of safety from physical media I prefer buying games on disc than digitally. On disc nothing can happen to my game if I take care of it no random interference.

So I've been told you can copy anything you buy on steam onto any blank dvd is this true? If so it's pointless to ever not buy from steam unless you find a lower price on amazon.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    I've back-up my Steam games on external drives before. I haven't tried to back them up in DVDs. It's worth a shot
  • GwynLovesMilkGwynLovesMilk Joined: Posts: 6,096
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gFw3

Potential new setup for streaming, thoughts?
    If you want to write a book you have to live a life that's worth sealing in ink.
  • SonicabidSonicabid This is Jean he roundhouse kicks it Joined: Posts: 12,079
    Torrents > Steam.

You're telling me you guys dropped 100's, maybe 1000's of dollars on a new PC, yet you buy all your games digitally? Why not do the same thing, but not pay for it? Morals? CD-keys required to play online? You're ballin' and don't care?

=/
    I support things I like and want to see more of it. I can't get a Torchlight II if no one didn't support the first game.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Likewise................I support the company.
    And with Steam sales............they make it much easier on my wallet.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • GwynLovesMilkGwynLovesMilk Joined: Posts: 6,096
    Torrents > Steam.

You're telling me you guys dropped 100's, maybe 1000's of dollars on a new PC, yet you buy all your games digitally? Why not do the same thing, but not pay for it? Morals? CD-keys required to play online? You're ballin' and don't care?

=/
    I like playing games online against other people, most of my options for pirating multi-player PC games goes down to CS 1.6, and that shit is whack.

I'd rather support the companies and play with large communities and get constant patches for good games than have to crack and sneak my way to crappy single-player modes.
    If you want to write a book you have to live a life that's worth sealing in ink.
    Modern installs of already cracked games don't even require you to fuck with them post-install. The majority of them are install and play, no extra bullshit required. It's actually easier to install a cracked modern game these days, than it is to install a "new" modern game which also sometimes installs programs on your PC that run in the background ALWAYS(Punkbuster, EA's Origin, others I'm sure.) Some games require you to always be connected to the internet to play, which is fucking stupid for a single-player only game like Ass Crease.

Steam requires you to be signed-in to play the majority of their games, right? I know there's an offline mode, but I swear the few games I do have don't even work in offline mode.

I support game companies sometimes, too. Keyword: companies, because the developers of our favorite games don't see a dime of our money. Most of the time, though, I buy used or I pirate everything. I'd say by the far the majority of the games I own on PS3 are used, probably like a 60:40 ratio or so. I'm that asshole gaming companies blame for shit sales for their shit game, as well as their "reasoning" behind DRM and the new addition of "online passes" for console gamers.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,185
    Modern installs of already cracked games don't even require you to fuck with them post-install. The majority of them are install and play, no extra bullshit required. It's actually easier to install a cracked modern game these days, than it is to install a "new" modern game which also sometimes installs programs on your PC that run in the background ALWAYS(Punkbuster, EA's Origin, others I'm sure.) Some games require you to always be connected to the internet to play, which is fucking stupid for a single-player only game like Ass Crease.

Steam requires you to be signed-in to play the majority of their games, right? I know there's an offline mode, but I swear the few games I do have don't even work in offline mode.

I support game companies sometimes, too. Keyword: companies, because the developers of our favorite games don't see a dime of our money. Most of the time, though, I buy used or I pirate everything. I'd say by the far the majority of the games I own on PS3 are used, probably like a 60:40 ratio or so. I'm that asshole gaming companies blame for shit sales for their shit game, as well as their "reasoning" behind DRM and the new addition of "online passes" for console gamers.

It's one thing if you bought a game then proceeded to get the crack because it's easier to play, it's another thing if you just outright take it.
    It's one thing if you bought a game then proceeded to get the crack because it's easier to play, it's another thing if you just outright take it.

Fuck Steam, it's given me nothing. Whatever I want I just take for myself.
    Fuck Steam, it's given me nothing. Whatever I want I just take for myself.
    Fine, fuck Steam, get DRM free games but you just can't justify taking it.
    Ive embraced the digital age. I sold all of my disc based games because I had every one of them in digital form. No need for more crap sitting in my house collecting dust.

I like Steam because its simple and games are cheap. Sure, I pirate some games when I dont really have the money to spare on another game or Im just feeling naughty and dont care if I can play it online or not. Later on I end up buying some of those games so I can play them online. Hell, of the 150 something games on my PC only about 10 are from pirating.

Hawkingbird - I got on that Gotham City Imposters yesterday, hell, I thought that shit was always free to play. Anyhow, Ive had it on the PS3 for a while as its one of the "free" plus games. I was also in the PC beta for the game. Its a fun and silly FPS game.

I actually recorded a couple matches of me getting fucked up yesterday.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• dake360dake360 Time to roll another one Joined: Posts: 114
    Ahh just what I was looking for I play Blacklight Retribution and Left 4 Dead 2 like they're going out of style, so if anyone wants to get some games in add me.

STEAM ID: Gordon360

Edit: Also plan on getting Torchlight 2
    Supporting the people.
  • SaranghaSarangha Look within yourself Joined: Posts: 4,256
    I got Arkham City on PC for 10 bucks via steam a while back. Gotta love those players choice sales!
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8449745/#Comment_8449745

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”
    ― Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

“For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits
    near them, waiting.”
    ― Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Nostalgia=Drug

Dirrzt360 - Played a few games of Gotham Imposters Imposters last night and it's a really weird game. I have no idea how anyone can get decent control with skates as their gadget. The other stuff like gliding and spring shoes are pretty cool. I like the homemade aesthetic of the weapons. I'm trash at FPS but I'll make this game something I play when I'm bored of everything else I'm playing.
    I like that my posts prompted a thread title change. :rofl:
    Ahh just what I was looking for I play Blacklight Retribution and Left 4 Dead 2 like they're going out of style, so if anyone wants to get some games in add me.

STEAM ID: Gordon360

Edit: Also plan on getting Torchlight 2

I got your message...I haven't played L4D2 in a while but I would be down to play sometime. Just as long as you won't kick me out or take off if I want to take a 5 minute smoke break after playing for a bit.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• dake360dake360 Time to roll another one Joined: Posts: 114
    Hell each campaign is about an hour, 5 minutes won't kill me. Just switch to ai and it's cool with me.
    Supporting the people.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,631
    So I've been told you can copy anything you buy on steam onto any blank dvd is this true? If so it's pointless to ever not buy from steam unless you find a lower price on amazon.

Bump.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    So I just checked that out for you you lazy bastard. I only copied one game to a DVD...Capsized. I was able to launch the game from the DVD without Steam open. I was able to play the game from the DVD without Steam running. It does work but I cant tell you if that is something that can be done with every game.

Edit - Yo, that was the second time I have used my DVD drive since I got this PC. The first time was to install Windows.

P.S. I also cant say if this DVD will work on another PC. I only have one PC.

edit again - Up yours Sonicabid, I now have a physical copy of a digital game I downloaded from Steam.

damn edit - I just noticed dake360's post and I had a look at it. I didn't do it like it was explained in one of those links. I just went to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common. I right clicked on a file (Capsized) and copied it. Then I right clicked on the DVD and pasted it and it asked me if I wanted to use the DVD like it was a Flash Drive or...I cant remember what the other option was. Anyhow I picked the first one, have the DVD act like a flash drive. Yeah, so that's what I did.

edit again - So I tried a couple other games...Bioshock and Dead Space. Neither worked, I just get an error when I try to launch them.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Yeah, so those games wont work. Something about Steam DRM or some crap. I looked around and shit but really couldnt get any solid info. According to some dude the Steam version of Bioshock wont work unless you open the game using Steam. But if you buy the same game from Amazon it will work without Steam.

Sonicabids hate isnt...I dont what the word I want is. But yeah, I cant hate on him for hating on Steam DRM. It is pretty shitty that I cant play this games that I purchased without using Steam. But then I agreed to this crap so whatever. Most of the time I dont even notice. I mean, if whoever wouldnt have asked if putting them on disc works I would have never even thought about it.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Valve is trying to get more Japanese developers to put games up on Steam.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/07/valve-contacted-japanese-developers-to-bring-their-games-to-steam/

Marvelous entertainment answered the call. I hope they bring over No More Heroes .
    Yeah, so those games wont work. Something about Steam DRM or some crap. I looked around and shit but really couldnt get any solid info. According to some dude the Steam version of Bioshock wont work unless you open the game using Steam. But if you buy the same game from Amazon it will work without Steam.

Sonicabids hate isnt...I dont what the word I want is. But yeah, I cant hate on him for hating on Steam DRM. It is pretty shitty that I cant play this games that I purchased without using Steam. But then I agreed to this crap so whatever. Most of the time I dont even notice. I mean, if whoever wouldnt have asked if putting them on disc works I would have never even thought about it.

I think that Steam is a good service, but some of the things they've been doing recently have been pretty shady. A new TOS they put out states that they can literally delete your Steam account for *no fucking reason* and you'll lose all your games+money spent+money in your wallet, and then right below that they say that you cannot sue them for doing so. GGPO.

Digital games on Steam aren't safe, either. Certain titles have been delisted service permanently and unlike PSN and Live you cannot re-download them(I believe.)

There are a lot more examples of the things I'm talking about if you want to look, and even more extreme cases where I've seen people purchase a game, not be able to download it, have it not show up on their list, and then after contacting Steam's customer service they basically told the dude to go fuck himself and that he won't be refunded. If any of you guys doubt the things I'm talking about, read the TOS or google these things.
    Yo, I believe you. Ive read about people having issues where the game they purchased on Steam not working right, them hitting up Steam Support and Steam Support telling them, basically, contact the game publisher and leave us alone. But yo, I hear more good things than bad and me personally, Ive never had an issue. Other than today of course, but then I never really planned on putting my games on a disc anyhow.

Anyhow, I need to run Path of Exile and Tribes Ascend and update those fuckers (and a couple other games) and check out whats different/new/changed.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

You can re-download games that have been de-list. Users who purchased Crysis II and Dragon Ago II on Steam can still re-download those games even though they are no longer available. They keep those game on the servers for those customers.

XBL also has delete and/or ban account clause in their TOS too. Sony added the no class action sues on their TOS after their network got hacked. Steam isn't doing anything different from other services. Steam just happens to be above them in terms of their services. As long as they don't go the Origin route by making their client spyware, deleting games from your library if they haven't been played in 2 years time, and banning accounts for using particular servers.
    Yeah I'm well aware of how PSN and Live work as well. The majority of my games are disc-based, and I try to buy physical copies of my game instead of digital copies. Sometimes games I want to play are digital-only, so I have no choice if it's a good game I'm interested in playing.

http://www.gog.com/

^ There's a cool site you guys might be interested in. They mostly focus on older games, but there are a lot of newer games as well. They're all DRM-free and can be played without an internet connection. They can also be backed up too, I believe. You basically download tweaked versions of older games that are made to be compatible with all modern operating systems and specs. The fuck? These guys have Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. I never knew it had a PC-release.
  • StabbyStabby 北丐 Joined: Posts: 4,146
    Even if you hate steam, you should be thankful for it.
    Matriarch...Cook?
    Yeah right. Wouldn't trust a recipe from that one. Snake venom. "Eye of Newt."
    --WTF-AKUMA-HAX
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Torrents > Steam.

=/
    Not paying for things is unsustainable, and as an IT professional I hold to a higher standard. Also, there's nothing out there that I want so badly I'd steal it. Online subscription-based games will fucking come after you if you hack their subscription system.
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Valve is trying to get more Japanese developers to put games up on Steam.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/07/valve-contacted-japanese-developers-to-bring-their-games-to-steam/

Marvelous entertainment answered the call. I hope they bring over No More Heroes .

I'm so excited right now. I'd love to see Bayonetta on PC.

I know it's not the same people, I just wanna play Bayonetta.
    How many of you guys play more than MMO's on your PC?
    -Drizzt Do'Urden