The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• Dirt Mc GirtDirt Mc Girt OLD DIRTY Joined: Posts: 1,089
    i never played a mmo on pc but i only game on pc

• drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I ask because you know, I talk to people and they're like "yeah man, Im a PC gamer" so I start talking to whoever about games and shit and they're like "uhhh, all I play is [insert MMO title here].". So I think, yeah, technically you're a PC gamer because you play 1 game on your PC. But thats not really what I mean when I ask if you're a PC gamer. You know what im saying?

Yeah, I want to talk about more than WoW or GW. I dont even play those fuckin' games.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,182
    I ask because you know, I talk to people and they're like "yeah man, Im a PC gamer" so I start talking to whoever about games and shit and they're like "uhhh, all I play is [insert MMO title here].". So I think, yeah, technically you're a PC gamer because you play 1 game on your PC. But thats not really what I mean. You know what im saying?

I mostly play Street Fighter and the indie stuff on Steam honestly.

Also Sonic Generations has amazing mods.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How many of you guys play more than MMO's on your PC?

I've been gaming on a PC since the late 80s. From C64 games to DOOM to ME3. I'll be playing Borderlands 2 on PC this time (I own the first game for PS3). Admittedly, most of my gaming experience has been console, but I never dismissed PC games. Console games just happen to have more of what I like, but there are some genres that just work better on a PC, IMO.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    I just picked up a pretty cool game the other day called Snapshot. I guess its an indie game...Anyhow, its a pretty fun and colorful platformer. I havent played much of it but I recorded some of that shit.

Yeah, I also record of lot of the games I play and upload that shit to youtube. I mostly do that for another forum I frequent so the people there can...see some games they might never even hear about because they're mostly console gamers who play 1 mmo on the PC.

when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,983
    I don't play much MMOs. The only one I was ever committed to was DCUO and I haven't played that in months. PC has become my platform of choice to play WPRGs. Can't imagine playing games like Fallout, Deus Ex, and Skyrim on my PS3.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • TheEvilChinaManTheEvilChinaMan I think english! Joined: Posts: 1,160
    I play too much SWTOR, but man the end game PvP is awesome.

I play other PC games too. The Witcher 2 stands for me as one of the best RPGs of the "HD" generation. Think heavy stat, detailed combat, mature themed zelda game with a better branching story system than any Bioware game.

Use to play a lot of DotA and DotA2. After that tournament, I think I should go back. Prize money is too damn good.
    I never played DCUO, currently the only MMO that I play is The Secret World and I dont really even play that much. I think the last time I logged into the game was a few months ago. I use to play WoW but that was like 4 years or more ago. I dont really play anything on a console anymore unless its exclusive to whatever console or its free on whatever console.

Anyhow, im really just trying to shift the conversation from "why you like or dislike Steam" to "lets talk about some of them games you play on the PC".

Ive been fuckin' around with a few different Beta's lately. Firefall, Path of Exile, Smite and couple others. Im really interested in what will come from Firefall, it seems to have the potential to be a really cool game. As it is now its pretty boring because there really isnt any PVE content. But its a beta so I wont judge, I'll just keep checkin' it out and sending my reports.

Path of Exile is basically like Diablo with a different look. Its ok and all that, if dungeon crawler loot finding games are your thing. I like the look of it more than Diablo III but other than that they seem the same to me. Sure, skills and such are all handled different but at its core its so similar that its just OK to me, even if it is in beta.

Smite is one of them games like...League of Legends or Awesomenauts. What is that genre called? Anyhow, its fun, once again its not really my kind of game but I do enjoy the beta a little bit.

What the fuck are ya'll playing?

edit - I just started some game called Singularity. Its pretty cool so far. The Wife thought it was the new Bioshock. I told her that from what Ive read about the game it is very, very similar to Bioshock. I havent gotten very far in the game yet, no powers or anything just gun play.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• SonicabidSonicabid This is Jean he roundhouse kicks it Joined: Posts: 11,992
    My most fond memories of PC gaming were in the early 00's where Quake III and Quake III-engine based games reigned supreme. Late 90's, early to mid 00's were the best times for FPS gaming, imo. I played literally nothing but various online FPS games and Diablo II for years, but then I got back into console gaming towards the end of last generation with my PS2 and Gamecube. It was all about action games for me at that time, with an odd RPG and RE game in between. 90% of the reason I own a Gamecube is because of RE.
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    I think I own around 460 games on Steam. God bless Steam sales, and god damn not having the time to play them all... o_o
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,031
    I think I own around 460 games on Steam. God bless Steam sales, and god damn not having the time to play them all... o_o

That's why I don't go crazy when Steam does massive sales (like this past Summer Sale that went on).
    Still got some high-end games bought on the cheap (Deus Ex Human Revolution) that I still have yet to install.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    That's why I don't go crazy when Steam does massive sales (like this past Summer Sale that went on).
    Still got some high-end games bought on the cheap (Deus Ex Human Revolution) that I still have yet to install.
    Well, what I've started doing was buying games only three times a year, during each Steam sale. Then I spend the rest of the year playing them. I still spend less than most people who buy one retail release a month do.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

I'm trying to get in some betas. Mainly Planetside 2 and Mech Warrior online. Both of them still in closed beta and not many opportunities to get keys.
    So.. big screen mode should be out today, though they won's say when today and it's driving me insane.
    What is Big Picture anyway? A TV app or something
    What is Big Picture anyway? A TV app or something

From what I've read, it's basically Steam designed for TVs, complete with pad support. Pretty big deal, especially with the kinds of games Steam has been getting lately.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    From what I've read, it's basically Steam designed for TVs, complete with pad support. Pretty big deal, especially with the kinds of games Steam has been getting lately.

Going in that direction is better than developing a console. I don't have an internet enable TV (taking a guess on that's what's needed for this) so I can't make use of this. I'm very curious on how well Big Picture works.
    I asked someone if it's for "smart" TVs and he told me its just a different look for when you use a tv as a monitor. I didn't really get that. I use my tv as a monitor sometimes and Steam looks and works exactly the same from what I can tell.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Going in that direction is better than developing a console. I don't have an internet enable TV (taking a guess on that's what's needed for this) so I can't make use of this. I'm very curious on how well Big Picture works.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/setup

You just need a HDMI cable, and your PC/laptop should have a HDMI port. I'm about to try this out now.
    My PC doesn't have a HDMI port. The dream is dead.
  • dake360dake360 Time to roll another one Joined: Posts: 114
    Pretty much

Supporting the people.
    But I want it. It's exactly what I've been looking for!
    Just tried it out. Pretty slick stuff.

EDIT: I just tried the browser...went to Youtube, tried closing an ad and Steam crashed.
    Sweeeett Jesum, Big Picture is AWESOME, I wish Steam would just boot straight into it.
    Supporting the people.
    So, it just alters the interface a little, if you want it to, and adds a browser? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, if that's the case. Did any of you try to use your tv as a monitor and launch Steam before this?

Edit - I guess this could get those pc gamers that only play WoW to play more games. Using Steam of course.

Edit - Yeah, Ive just decided that those kind of PC gamers are really just console gamers that want to fit in to the pc crowd. I think this is for those people.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Bleh, Big Picture is a little too much for my Lappy. I'm experiencing some slight lag while it's running (It's still a gorgeous UI though).

Oh well that's what I get for buying a subpar laptop (shrug).
    Supporting the people.
    It needs to be able to run on the secondary monitor and essentially make all the games "take over" that second monitor almost like a different system for it to matter to me. Right now it's just a beta though.
    Path of Exile beta this weekend. Really digging the game. If I wasn't broke, I'd send some money their way.
    Black Mesa (a Half Life 1 remake) was finally released.

https://twitter.com/BlackMesaDevs

Aaaaaaand it's been greenlit by steam (free to play)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543
    Supporting the people.
  • OsgXOsgX Joined: Posts: 1,900
    I was playing it at work. Haven't made to much progress, since I've forgotten things, but it's solid. Probably one of the best mods I've played in forever.

Eli's voice is kinda ass though. The other scientist's was perfect.
  • BadMojoBadMojo Joined: Posts: 2,547
    Not sure where to talk about this and I doubt creating a new thread for it in GD would generate enough interest to keep the topic alive for longer than a couple days before getting bumped off the first page.

Anyways Obisidian announced a Kickstarter today called Project Eternity. It's an homage to past Infinity Engine isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 & 2 and Planescape: Torment. Obsidian's made up of mostly ex-Black Isle Studio employees so I expect the game to be nothing short of great. Tim Cain is also working on the project, he was part of the team that made Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I've already pledged $20 for a digital copy, it's pretty much what I've wanted from a WRPG.
    I'll be more comfortable if that kickstarter was for raising funds for a quality QA team. Obisidian releases the buggest games around
    I'll be more comfortable if that kickstarter was for raising funds for a quality QA team. Obisidian releases the buggest games around

The publisher is usually the one responsible for QA testing. New Vegas being buggy is a combination of the gamebryo engine Obsidian was forced to work with and Bethesda not giving a fuck in general. Obsidian made their own in-house engine for Dungeon Siege 3 and its much more stable.
    The publisher is usually the one responsible for QA testing. New Vegas being buggy is a combination of the gamebryo engine Obsidian was forced to work with and Bethesda not giving a fuck in general. Obsidian made their own in-house engine for Dungeon Siege 3 and its much more stable.

New Vegas isn't even the buggest release. Thinking about the wasted potential of Alpha Protocol. That game just didn't work.
    New Vegas isn't even the buggest release. Thinking about the wasted potential of Alpha Protocol. That game just didn't work.

Alpha Protocol shouldn't have been released, but unfortunately it was and is a blemish on their record. Its bugs was a result of mismanagement and Sega constantly changing the requirements of the game so new systems kept getting added before the old ones could get fixed. I'm not really surprised though, it's Sega after all and don't we have a 10 page thread full of people whining over Bayo 2 because Sega dropped the ball on that franchise?

Obsidian's new South Park RPG is being published by THQ. THQ isn't doing too hot either, but I never experienced any really bad bugs in Saints Row 3 or Darksiders 2. I think South Park will be the same.

The good thing about video game Kickstarters is developers do not have to worry about meeting the demands of meddling publishers or having to produce a working build every few months to show them and only have to answer to fans. Usually this just means the development stays transparent, with updates and behind the scene looks. I think including any sort of fan service would remain at a minimum and they only really consider the input from the big backers (1k+ reward tiers).

Anyways I'm not trying to shill the project or anything, just spreading the word around. CD Projeckt RED's Cyberpunk won't be out for another couple years and this lets Western RPG players know there's more beyond the BioWare and Bethesda tripe. I still enjoy their games but Bioware is EA now, and they seem to focus more on action oriented gameplay and writing slash fiction. Bethesda you already know what you're going to get from them, continuously simplifying their games since Morrowind. Fallout 4 is going to be Skyrim with guns.
  • AzureAzure E-Sports is fucking retarded. Joined: Posts: 9,048
    Deus Ex Revolution: < $8.

Yea or nay?

Sent from my thumbs, using SRK technology.
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
    Yea.

Ive been playing Black Mesa. Its pretty freakin' cool. I never played Half Life, only Half Life 2 and the other episodes in The Orange Box.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

• NandoNando 1337 Joined: Posts: 3,530
    Is this gangland (lol, its not called that) game really free to play?
    They want me to sign up on their site but its under billing :/

Its F2P via steam

my fav combo Is Fierce into Fierce. #GGOP Good Game Play on ....Party On...

You talking about Crimecraft?
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    I liked as a teenager the PC platform too. As a kid I was fascinated by the Amiga computers. Some teens I used to visit had 500 and 2000 models and all those games were light years ahead from the NES I used to have. Even better than arcades in some cases. Some genres like Horror, Strategy, Adventure, RPG, Simulation etc were only possible on computers. Consoles were for kiddies and were edited. Consoles and arcades had to be censored. Even today.

Computers were 10 years ahead of consoles. In fact consoles became more sophisticated because they adopted traits of PC games. Even if only by a fraction.

Most recent game I played was the Blackwell Chronicles, an adventure game made in old point and click style and graphics. I wasnt an FPS fan and I never played an MMO.I was interested mostly in platformers (NES background), adventures (3rd person and point and click), sports (old school, not the current simulation ones), vertical shooters and fighters. Occasionally I played some RPGs.

now the gap seems to have been bridged. there are fare less console exclusives that make it worth to buy a system. Plus most of them are overpriced. So I might as well keep the PC.

In the 90s every platform had its exclusives (Windows PC, Amiga , Sega Genesis and Saturn, Nintendo SNES and 64, Sony Playstation etc) and everyone was happy. There was even a computer gaming scene in Japan till the mid-90s.

Now Nintendo insist on the same franchises, which began to wear out with Nintendo 64 already, Sony after the success of the PS2 insist on sequels, Sega are no more and wander aimlessly from platform to platform, Microsoft ruined PC gaming by transferring good franchises on consoles, making them inferior both in graphics and gameplay etc, hence the FPS infestation.

I leave gaming to the younger generation and stick with PC gaming which reserves places for teens and adults since the old days.

Torrents > Steam.

You're telling me you guys dropped 100's, maybe 1000's of dollars on a new PC, yet you buy all your games digitally? Why not do the same thing, but not pay for it? Morals? CD-keys required to play online? You're ballin' and don't care?

=/

those PC games will be able to run on a PC for many years to come, even on newer machines. You can run old MS-DOS games or even Windows 95 games, though the latter have some issues with Direct3D acceleration. So buying a game now will probably last for a long time, certainly more than when you buy a console and it gets defective in 10 years and the next console is incompatible.

If support ceases, you have every right to bypass DRM. Even on Steam.

An example is the old game 7th Guest. You can even get an enhanced sound track for free in the Scummvm site. As emulation and virtualization software gets better and more precise the PC and its various operating systems will be able to host all those games without trouble. Like a museum.
    While consoles will focus mainly on the newer games.

I think that Steam is a good service, but some of the things they've been doing recently have been pretty shady. A new TOS they put out states that they can literally delete your Steam account for *no fucking reason* and you'll lose all your games+money spent+money in your wallet, and then right below that they say that you cannot sue them for doing so. GGPO.

Digital games on Steam aren't safe, either. Certain titles have been delisted service permanently and unlike PSN and Live you cannot re-download them(I believe.)

There are a lot more examples of the things I'm talking about if you want to look, and even more extreme cases where I've seen people purchase a game, not be able to download it, have it not show up on their list, and then after contacting Steam's customer service they basically told the dude to go fuck himself and that he won't be refunded. If any of you guys doubt the things I'm talking about, read the TOS or google these things.

that worries me too. But in case that happens, thats why we have torrents. But in any case, I hold an unofficial backup copy for Steam games I like. I have all the games in a 3 TB external hard drive and a few of them (Assassin's Creed 2 and Monkey Island HD remakes) refuse to run on a drive larger than 2 TB. No patches available despite my complaints. While Costume Quest and Stacking support solved those issues after I mentioned them. The bigger a company is, the harder it is to communicate with the users. It would be more suitable to have the games installed in separate folders. It can be done but it is inconvenient on Steam. I have to delete the game from the external hard drive or else it thinks I launch the game from there.
    too slow!
  • ZeroZero Ruler of Dimension X Joined: Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I certainly agree with you on the potential here: considering the high number of controller-friendly games on Steam, it essentially turns your PC into a console (and more).

Personally, I don't see myself using it just because I don't want to lug the PC I play games on to the TV. I also already have a computer connected to my PC that I watch videos and do computer stuff on (although not powerful enough to run most of the games I play).

But yeah, this is making a serious case for never buying a console again. Although if more companies like EA make their own Steam-like application, we'll have an even more divided market place on PC than in the consoles.
    "Dont call it a comeback / I've been here for years"

Steam ID: drzerogi

Aura Crusher:
    www.geocities.com/xybaz (this site is dead, BTW)
  • NandoNando 1337 Joined: Posts: 3,530
    You talking about Crimecraft?
    thats the one

my fav combo Is Fierce into Fierce. #GGOP Good Game Play on ....Party On...

• OsgXOsgX Joined: Posts: 1,900
    I just got to "blast pit." Man, even if it is just a remake/mod, Black Mesa is probably going to be one of my GOTY...
    I just got to "blast pit." Man, even if it is just a remake/mod, Black Mesa is probably going to be one of my GOTY...

Halflife 1 is quite literally the last good shooter to have ever been made, in my opinion (Borderlands doesn't count, because hybrid).

Black Mesa is money flying out of my pocket.

"Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

Halflife 1 is quite literally the last good shooter to have ever been made, in my opinion (Borderlands doesn't count, because hybrid).

Black Mesa is money flying out of my pocket.

Yea IF it wasn't free to play
    Supporting the people.
    Yea IF it wasn't free to play

It is free?

Suckers!

• azprocazproc ^ loves dem Jingle Bells Joined: Posts: 2,782

Unreal Tournament 2004 would like a word with you.
    If you're talking about story... then sure, HL1 was difficult to top.
    Sometimes I open SRK and am forced to say: notto disu shitto agen
    I actually don't play Marvel.
    It is free?

Suckers!

Yeeeep. Barring nostalgia there is no reason to buy/play the original or Valve's source version ever again.
    Supporting the people.
    Word, I wish more remakes would be free like this. The game (Black Mesa) is really freakin' cool. This is another one of those really cool games that I missed out on because I didn't have a PC...well, a PC capable of running games.

I still haven't checked out that Big Picture shit. I watched a video of someone using it and it does seem pretty cool. I guess its convenient if Im playing something with a controller and don't want to switch back to the mouse and keyboard when I want to navigate Steam or type a message. Can that interface be used at any time? I mean, can I fire up Steam now (using my PC monitor) and use that UI?
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

Yeah you can, just gotta participate in the beta.

Steam->Settings-> Beta Participation

Steam restarts then BAM you have access to cool UI.

I think you can get to the overlay using your controller too.

EDIT: Re: Black Mesa

Near errbody I know is playing that shit hard. I got up to "On a Train" the day it was released. Can't play it again till the weekend due to work/school. Will check out gameplay in 4 days :(
    Supporting the people.