The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    Manx wrote: »
    GTX 1070 confirmed Titan X/980 TI killer. $375 it's a steal. Anyone with a 970 or a 980 non-TI.

Also, people don't realize that AMD isn't holding back their cards and it's definitely not that they don't have an answer to Nvidia's new products. They aren't competing in this cycle. There is no reason for them to. They will not beat Nvidia's cards by a large enough margin to compete with them, so why even do it?

Here's what their new cards (the R9 490 & 490X) are meant to do: Provide a platform for the next generation of consoles. They aren't competing with Nvidia this cycle, but they will be in late 2016/early 2017 when they release their consumer card featuring HBM memory and then finally release their newest memory technology.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia still beats them to market in the 3D memory arena. But, AMD wouldn't have wasted a cycle on hardware that they know is going to quickly become obsolete. All of these new cards that are coming out will very soon be outdone by emerging technologies that are vastly superior to them. Keep this in mind. It's not simply a case of a GPU re-design to be more efficient, it's totally new hardware altogether.

Memory is in a crisis right now because it's becoming too costly in terms of power consumption to feed data to the GPU fast enough. AMD and Nvidia are both developing memory solutions for this and they will be super fast. That's where AMD is trying to compete, and their new "Vega" GPUs are based on being able to adapt to all the different types of memory available (GDDR5, GDDR5x, HBM, HBM2, & HBM3(?) coming up in the future.

tl;dr - The race to 14nm chip production was won by Nvidia, AMD didn't need to compete with them to market though, because their focus is on the console market that they already have cornered and trying to plan for the future in regard to memory technology. Their showings are just a natural progression of technology getting better.

The real race is in tying together all the new and upcoming technologies: GDDR5x, High Bandwidth Memory 2, and the "Next-gen" HBM3(???).

This is an exciting time!

:tup:
    GTX 1070 confirmed Titan X/980 TI killer. $375 it's a steal. Anyone with a 970 or a 980 non-TI.

Also, people don't realize that AMD isn't holding back their cards and it's definitely not that they don't have an answer to Nvidia's new products. They aren't competing in this cycle. There is no reason for them to. They will not beat Nvidia's cards by a large enough margin to compete with them, so why even do it?

Here's what their new cards (the R9 490 & 490X) are meant to do: Provide a platform for the next generation of consoles. They aren't competing with Nvidia this cycle, but they will be in late 2016/early 2017 when they release their consumer card featuring HBM memory and then finally release their newest memory technology.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia still beats them to market in the 3D memory arena. But, AMD wouldn't have wasted a cycle on hardware that they know is going to quickly become obsolete. All of these new cards that are coming out will very soon be outdone by emerging technologies that are vastly superior to them. Keep this in mind. It's not simply a case of a GPU re-design to be more efficient, it's totally new hardware altogether.

Memory is in a crisis right now because it's becoming too costly in terms of power consumption to feed data to the GPU fast enough. AMD and Nvidia are both developing memory solutions for this and they will be super fast. That's where AMD is trying to compete, and their new "Vega" GPUs are based on being able to adapt to all the different types of memory available (GDDR5, GDDR5x, HBM, HBM2, & HBM3(?) coming up in the future.

tl;dr - The race to 14nm chip production was won by Nvidia, AMD didn't need to compete with them to market though, because their focus is on the console market that they already have cornered and trying to plan for the future in regard to memory technology. Their showings are just a natural progression of technology getting better.

The real race is in tying together all the new and upcoming technologies: GDDR5x, High Bandwidth Memory 2, and the "Next-gen" HBM3(???).

you are making me not want to buy the r9 4xx.

it would be a waste, but I"m not going to not buy a card for another year. Maybe I should buy a cheap 150$ 960Ti and just wait for the new architecture.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 2016
    pedoviejo wrote: »

it would be a waste, but I"m not going to not buy a card for another year. Maybe I should buy a cheap 150$ 960Ti and just wait for the new architecture.

Yeah, I figured my posts would have this effect.

AMD is intentionally "behind" this generation. If you consider being behind just not having balls-stomping bleeding edge graphics capabilities. It's just capabilities and that is in no way reflective of what sort of games will be coming out during this cycle, or what their requirements will be.

Buy based on your needs. If you don't want to buy a Nvidia card, then don't. I'm not buying one. I just can't argue with the benchmarks that are out and when people ask questions, I tell them the truth. If you remember, I said a few weeks ago that this generation was going to be a MASSIVE step forward in graphics and so far I haven't been shown wrong. I just want to add that there is more to come. MUCH more.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for graphics. We're going to have very cheap and very realistic VR graphics very... very.... soon. Mark my words. The market demands this, and it will happen. I'll bet that within 3 generations we will have consumer-range photorealistic graphics that so far have been only within the grasp of enthusiasts with multi-thousand dollar rigs and complicated custom shader mods.

All them Skyrim realistic weather & waifu mods that you see on Youtube? That shit will be what developers bring to the market in just a few years.

Hardware bottlenecks are a good thing™.
    Geeky nerds are fucking supermen.
    In particular, thank The Lord (Carmack) for graphics developers.

They are real life fucking wizards.

@pedoviejo buy what you need. If you can wait a year, then do it. But that's no guarantee. This shit is like a year out minimum. I'm talking about the HBM3 shit that we don't even have technical info on yet. But there's really no need to wait at all. If you think about it, you're about $350 away from some really intense gaming, especially at 1080p, where a majority of gamers play at, self included. That's not a bad investment for a year of high-end hassle-free gaming. And it's regardless of whether or not you choose the 1080/70 or the R9 4xx series. They're all badd ass and over kill for now, so just buy and be happy, man.

... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,572
    Put in for the cancellation for that FE 1080, fuck giving them £650 when I can get a FE 1070 for nearly half the price. Its still gonna be better than a Titan X? Yea ill wait for this card and be good for a year or two for my next gfx card.

Been reading up monitors but answer this @manx I dont want a huge ass monitor cause am 2 feet away at best, 24" is good for a dual setup right?
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    @Manx I'm not Indian. :sad:

I know man, I just rag on you. :rofl:

PROPHECY, biatch! You playing it?

I got far this league. 84 and tier 11 maps. Fuck the rest of that shit though OMG that game is bullshit!

Most importantly, I learned a lot.

Prophecy says the cheese will flow next weekend. I got GenCon and PoE new League. Gonna make a DM cry with my min-max builds and then go home and cry to dying to random rare mod packs. :rofl:

SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'

Yeah, I figured my posts would have this effect.

AMD is intentionally "behind" this generation. If you consider being behind just not having balls-stomping bleeding edge graphics capabilities. It's just capabilities and that is in no way reflective of what sort of games will be coming out during this cycle, or what their requirements will be.

Buy based on your needs. If you don't want to buy a Nvidia card, then don't. I'm not buying one. I just can't argue with the benchmarks that are out and when people ask questions, I tell them the truth. If you remember, I said a few weeks ago that this generation was going to be a MASSIVE step forward in graphics and so far I haven't been shown wrong. I just want to add that there is more to come. MUCH more.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for graphics. We're going to have very cheap and very realistic VR graphics very... very.... soon. Mark my words. The market demands this, and it will happen. I'll bet that within 3 generations we will have consumer-range photorealistic graphics that so far have been only within the grasp of enthusiasts with multi-thousand dollar rigs and complicated custom shader mods.

All them Skyrim realistic weather & waifu mods that you see on Youtube? That shit will be what developers bring to the market in just a few years.

Hardware bottlenecks are a good thing™.
    Geeky nerds are fucking supermen.
    In particular, thank The Lord (Carmack) for graphics developers.

They are real life fucking wizards.

@pedoviejo buy what you need. If you can wait a year, then do it. But that's no guarantee. This shit is like a year out minimum. I'm talking about the HBM3 shit that we don't even have technical info on yet. But there's really no need to wait at all. If you think about it, you're about $350 away from some really intense gaming, especially at 1080p, where a majority of gamers play at, self included. That's not a bad investment for a year of high-end hassle-free gaming. And it's regardless of whether or not you choose the 1080/70 or the R9 4xx series. They're all badd ass and over kill for now, so just buy and be happy, man.

Thing is that I'm trying to developing very proletarian spending habits. I can buy a high end card from 4 ears ago (7990 or 960 to) for 150/200$ and then buy a new card in a year and half time with modern architecture. However seeing how fucking lame Microsoft has been, all that new hardware might not even apply to me because I'm not upgrading to windows 10 on this machine ever.

And I don't want to wait a year and a half to just see what will be available. School is gonna end. And I might move out of state, which means a lot of free time outside work.

Chances are that I'll just buy the r9 4xx and eventually build a new machine for gaming with vr capabilities in about 2-3 years. That way I don't buy something and then feel jipped for buying half assed overpriced hardware that only performs 100 mghz more than what I had.

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    edited May 2016
    crucades wrote: »
    Put in for the cancellation for that FE 1080, fuck giving them £650 when I can get a FE 1070 for nearly half the price. Its still gonna be better than a Titan X? Yea ill wait for this card and be good for a year or two for my next gfx card.

Been reading up monitors but answer this @manx I dont want a huge ass monitor cause am 2 feet away at best, 24" is good for a dual setup right?

24' is about the sweet spot right now. I prefer smaller still, but they don't make them like that anymore :mad:

1070 is nice, but remember this: developers will now have no excuse for raping your system for all it's worth. Well... other than consoles not being able to keep up, and porting and all, but still... Once hardware leaps, software usually catches up to it really quickly.

Right now there's probably some fucking nerd out there planning the next Crysis as we speak. :mad:

But yeah, fuck the 1080, especially "founder's." 1070 is more than enough for now.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    edited May 2016
    how much will the new r9 set you back?

Looking up the R9 390X, same cost as a 1070 but 750w required? baHAHAHA just no sir.

Thing is that I'm trying to developing very proletarian spending habits. I can buy a high end card from 4 ears ago (7990 or 960 to) for 150/200$ and then buy a new card in a year and half time with modern architecture. However seeing how fucking lame Microsoft has been, all that new hardware might not even apply to me because I'm not upgrading to windows 10 on this machine ever.

And I don't want to wait a year and a half to just see what will be available. School is gonna end. And I might move out of state, which means a lot of free time outside work.

Chances are that I'll just buy the r9 4xx and eventually build a new machine for gaming with vr capabilities in about 2-3 years. That way I don't buy something and then feel jipped for buying half assed overpriced hardware that only performs 100 mghz more than what I had.

Well, for one thing, Microsoft is kinda out of the picture now that Vulkan exists. It's basically developers being given direct low-level access to the hardware without having to go through Microsoft's bullshit abstraction layer of... I don't even know what it is really, but yeah. Vulkan is big news and so far doing very well, so that's one thing down.

7990 is still a great card, no doubt. In fact, I was just remarking how we haven't seen an actual hardware leap like this since ~ 2007/8 when GDDR5 came out and the 28nm process matured. Yeah... pretty much every card that has come out since has essentially been little more than a bullshit excuse to stay relevant because the underlying hardware barely even changed. Literally, the only thing to change was the size of the die and therefore the TDP and physical constraints of making the card. That's it.

Pretty much the entirety of the 8000 series and the Rx series have been little more aside from instruction code improvement that can be done just as well in software, if it even needs doing at all. Same thing with Nvidia's 600 series all the way up to the (barely) current 900s. Minor changes aside from Nvidia's "OMG 15% (artifical) INCREASE IN PERFORMACE!"

Not impressive.

This new era of hardware is impressive. It's a physical change to 14nm fabrication along with revolutionary changes to graphics memory.

If you save your money, you could end up with a really nice $850+ rig that has all the most current bells and whistles that won't be realistically outdated for years, just like the people who adopted during the 7000 series experienced.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,357

look for a second hand 970 on ebay. look now while people are scrambling for 1070/80
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    @Manx You have a solid point man, I probably will just hold off buying anything new PC wise for another year. My shit is out of date for the latest games on ultra but I don't like the latest games that much anyhow. I can wait. Let AMD and NVIDIA battle it out for me.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,826
    Patiently waiting for sonicabids answer
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
    Ki Shima wrote: »

look for a second hand 970 on ebay. look now while people are scrambling for 1070/80

i'm not fond of second hand electronics, Assholes don't understand heat dynamics, and don't want to be in a situation where saving 100$ forces me to buy a new card much sooner.

i'm not fond of second hand electronics, Assholes don't understand heat dynamics, and don't want to be in a situation where saving 100$ forces me to buy a new card much sooner.

That and the possibility of someone subverting the firmware to own the entire system.

Official 'Kevin Witness'

That and the possibility of someone subverting the firmware to own the entire system.

i kinda want to buy to mid range r9 4xx cards if they are in the 300$ range each. I looked at Vulkan and it pretty much says fuck Direct X12

the problm is that IDK if Nvidia are still paying developers to fuck over AMD with crossfire

ok but I heard you could find 970's going for $130 on ebay

Ray Kurzweil
    Pedo just cop the 1070, bang for buck there aint nothing even close, good 2 year investment.

Ki Shima wrote: »
    ok but I heard you could find 970's going for $130 on ebay

but with what guarantee?

I just have to wait about a month or two to see what AMD does with pascal and Nvidia with theirs. IN that span I can finish the backlog of GBA, DS, 3DS, N64, PS1, and SNES backlog that I have on PC.

for 130 i could just buy the last 8GB of ram that I need to have 16 GB total.
    Pedo just cop the 1070, bang for buck there aint nothing even close, good 2 year investment.

it is for now, but its about to become obselete with the new 14 nm chips. I refuse to be in a position where I regret buying it. Even if the new cards only perform 50-100 mghz more than the 1070, the power savings and ram costs will be cheaper and worth the upgrade.

1070 is 14nm, doesnt have the adv memory of the 1080 but meh, youll get a non FE one for 350 bucks or something.

• AKIAKI R.E.L.A.X Joined: Posts: 884
    edited May 2016
    1070 is the new sweet spot. Bang for buck nothing compares.

Oh and, a single 1080 can't run games at a smooth 60fps in 4K. How do you rich nerds feel about the purchase now?
    Post edited by AKI on
    DMC3SE is the greatest video game in history - currently working on a PROJECT | UNI[st] Yuzuriha/Phonon | BBCF Izanami | TEKKEN Kasumi/Asuka | Rev.2 Jam | SFV Kolin | FAWK Marvel
    @pedoviejo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review/1100-6440307/
    When you compare it to the Titan X, it’s up to nine percent faster and up to 55 percent cheaper.

Raz0r wrote: »
    How do you people go through cards in two years? Before buying a 970 in September, the last video card I purchased was in 2010. Shit was so old I don't even know its model number. :lol:

Still, that card played every game I threw at it and they all looked fine. I only purchased a new one when it made a remarkable difference for Revengeance and MGSV.

mine took a shit
    AKI wrote: »

Oh and, a single 1080 can't run games at a smooth 60fps in 4K. How do you rich nerds feel about the purchase now?

you mean can

Actually dont think a single 1080 can run 4k ultra settings at 60fps, if it can thats beyond amazing. SLI 980ti outperforms single 1080 but thats Ki Shimi kinda money.

I said smooth 60fps. Or rather, a stable 60 fps. It can't.

DMC3SE is the greatest video game in history - currently working on a PROJECT | UNI[st] Yuzuriha/Phonon | BBCF Izanami | TEKKEN Kasumi/Asuka | Rev.2 Jam | SFV Kolin | FAWK Marvel
  • KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    AKI wrote: »
    Presumably smug, because they have top of the line hardware that is sold out everywhere.
    I don't anybody who really cares about having the latest and greatest hardware is really concerned about performance per dollar or would be averse to be getting a second one for SLI.
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
    edited May 2016
    @pedoviejo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review/1100-6440307/
    When you compare it to the Titan X, it’s up to nine percent faster and up to 55 percent cheaper.

you are driving a hard bargain, but i'm just going to wait a month until AMD releases their cards and see if card prices go down. Literally, the only game I want to play right now is Doom 4 and Dark Souls 3. Everything else is emulation, and my engineering projects require a CPU and RAM.

1070 is 14nm, doesnt have the adv memory of the 1080 but meh, youll get a non FE one for 350 bucks or something.

16nm. But yeah. Cheap and fast.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • AreEyeSeaKayAreEyeSeaKay Joined: Posts: 1,641
    If you bought the 1080 you're happy. You can't run max settings at 60fps at 4k, but you have the fastest single gpu in the consumer market.
    Actually dont think a single 1080 can run 4k ultra settings at 60fps, if it can thats beyond amazing. SLI 980ti outperforms single 1080 but thats Ki Shimi kinda money.

my 980 ti amp extreme cost less than your 1080 :rofl: and isn't that far behind 1080 either, the reason I was thinking about selling my 980 ti was due to simultaneous multi projection

which should almost half the processing of all VR games. it should also allow splitscreen PC gaming easily or even one player per screen. but these large corporations like to squeeze as much money out of people as possible Lol

Ray Kurzweil
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    finally decided to start Portal 2. i'm dying at how salty GLaDOS is so far :rofl:
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    So... how about that $199
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    Console smashing pc rigs just got way cheaper.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    What the hell are you talking about, the last 2 posts were about amd's just released info. The 480 will bring 390 level performance for $200 at way less power draw.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    Dat $199 Rx 480. Yup.

Just might get one day of.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Dat $199 Rx 480. Yup.

Just might get one day of.

welp i'm buying that shit, and crossfiring when crossfire becomes worth while.

@crucades,

see, this is why we waith

4 of them for the cost of 1 1080. :rofl:

Oh yeah, the size of the memory on your card doesn't matter. 4GB is plenty unless you're doing hi rez textures in 4k (you're not). Don't buy the 8GB version for $50 more. It does NOT make your card faster.

What does is the type of memory that is used. So, for example, a card with 4 GB of GDDR5X will fucking STOMP the exact same card equipped with 8GB of regular GDDR5.

Official 'Kevin Witness'