The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So where am I with my 970?
    This is offensive.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Get a 1080 non-reference, wait for the 1070 for $375, or see what AMD is bringing with the R9 480 and other cards we've yet to hear about.

Any of those are upgrades for you.

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,430
    edited May 2016
    Raz0r wrote: »
    So where am I with my 970?

970/390 should be solid for 1080p for a while.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    @Manx what should I be looking at if I want to comfortable play in 4k?
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,958
    I'm looking to upgrade. I got a 680 and it's showing it's age. I also want a new processor.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,897
    Got a used 760 when I built my 6500 skylake ddr4 build. Has handled everything I threw at it in 1080p. I may just wait like Manx said before touching it.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
    Yeah, I'm not getting rid of my 970. It's not even a year old. I want another 5 years from this thing.
    This is offensive.
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,358
    Playing games is the only thing I can do if not going out to get rekt so I took the plunge, already a regretful one but If I had time on my side I would defo wait for a decent third party 1070. I'd rather pay the premium now than go 3 months without any gaming.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    Manx wrote: »
    Get a 1080 non-reference, wait for the 1070 for $375, or see what AMD is bringing with the R9 480 and other cards we've yet to hear about.

Any of those are upgrades for you.

seems like Ill just wait to see that the 470 can do then. Even if it only offers an additional 100 mghz more than the 390, that's 200+ more over the 7970, with additional vram and additional software optimization.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • AreEyeSeaKayAreEyeSeaKay Joined: Posts: 1,641
    If you're in 1080p space, the 970 will be fine. Sure you might not be able to use ultra settings on everything, but you'll be able to play games at much better than 1st gen xbone/ps4 levels.

@Hawkingbird what is your processor? Upgrading that could mean a new mobo.
    My monitor only goes up to 1080p and I'm not looking to upgrade just yet although I've been looking at ultra wide monitors...
    This is offensive.
    crucades wrote: »
    Playing games is the only thing I can do if not going out to get rekt so I took the plunge, already a regretful one but If I had time on my side I would defo wait for a decent third party 1070. I'd rather pay the premium now than go 3 months without any gaming.

This is a sad post.
    This is offensive.
    edited May 2016
    SWBeta wrote: »
    @SWBeta For 4k you need to run SLI or Crossfire for it to be the smoothest.

Right now, all I can say is to go with GTX 1080 in SLI. It's the best bang for the buck performance out right now and it might even be overkill. When the R9 490 and 490x come out though, this may change. Word on the street is that the R9s will edge out the 1080 in price-per-performance. They will at least be as fast the R9 Fury (non-X) and possibly the Fury X, which would place them as the undisputed kings of SLI gaming if that's true.

But we don't know because there is soooo much about to happen. Aftermarket solutions are pouring in for the 1080. These may prove to be really cost-efficient overclock models. Also, once the R9 490 models come in, the same will be true of them. So there's gonna be a lot to compare. Also, there is memory sourcing. These cards will use GDDR5X, which has a slightly different processing method than GDDR5, so the manufacturers who can get hold of memory the cheapest and the fastest will be the winners.

Maybe... just maybe some clever company will come up with a card that uses the new GPUs in conjunction with the older GDDR5 memory. That would considerably bring down costs, but still provide a performance boost to people in the mid-range. It could even be negligible. Imagine being a manufacturer and you have all this GDDR5 memory laying around and nothing to do with it. It's possible, and we've seen things like this in the past, with AMD's upper mid-range cards like the xx70's series being outfitted with both types of memory during the shift from DDR3 to GDDR5. You might even see the opposite, with older GPUs like the 980's being outfitted with newer GDDR5X memory. From what I understand, the two types of memory are similar enough to do that.

Anyway, that's just me brainstorming/guessing

With 4k you will also need to think about Freesync vs. G-sync.

G-sync: from Nvidia, costs extra $$ to utilize, uses a separate chip from the GPU to perform functions.
    Freesync: From AMD, is free to utilize, uses the GPU to perform functions.

If you go with Nvidia, you will become subject to their marketing scheme for G-sync, which basically means that monitor manufacturers have to pay Nvidia in order to use G-Sync on their products. Which of course means that you have to pay for it. Meanwhile, Freesync, as the name implies, is free for manufacturers to use and will not cost you an extra cent (in theory).

Your monitor can only support G-sync or Freesync, not both. You cannot go back and forth between Freesync and G-sync, nor can you mix and match the two. Once you've paired a monitor and GPU, either AMD or Nvidia, you're stuck with that until you purchase both another monitor and a graphics card(s) all over again. This highly limits your future upgradability choices!

Performance wise, they are both comparable, each with their own slightly differing sets of problems, primarily stuttering at low-framerates, so power compensation and possibly increased voltage via overclocking can minimize the stuttering. G-sync seems to be slightly superior, but they're really really close to the same performance.

I personally think that this will be fixed soon and some sort of tradeoff will come about that allows for gamers to use whatever monitor they want. But until that happens it remains a problem that is largely caused by Nvidia's greed and attempt to lock gamers into their products yet again... They tried this with PhysX and it did not work because the underlying technology was software-based and not hardware-based like monitor sync is.

So, the reason you no longer see people buying cheap Geforce cards to use as a PhysX card is because AMD started an Open Physics Initiative in order to get physics computation done within hardware with a Physics Abstraction Layer hardcoded into the GPU. Basically, all of that shit is automatically included onto the GPU now, where's best placed, instead of having to rely on some bloated sub-system that can be exploited by some shady companies to get more money out of you. I think today there's only like 5 games or so that actually support PhysX. :rofl:

Long story short, AMD will win the battle over Freesync and G-sync the same way. By making it free technology instead of trying to close-source it and market it as a product.

See how complicated all of this can get? Most people just blindly buy shit that gets promoted without thinking about it, and that's okay if you're just building a basic mid-to-high-range system. But if you're running a 4k or a VR system and spending so much money on it, then you should do the homework and make sure you're investing that money into a sound, long-lasting investment. Just think how sore the people who buy into the losing "Sync" product are going to feel? They're going to have an expensive monitor that can't even use the features that they purchased it for. That's why it pays to be informed, and to wait the market out when bloated bullshit marketing comes into the picture, because the entire point is to get your money. This is true for both Nvidia and for AMD. I'm not promoting either one. I just think that people deserve the right to know exactly what the implications are for the things that they buy.

tl;dr - Best option for a 4k or VR high-end system is to wait it out and see how the up-coming R9 400 series cards will stack up to the 1080/1080 cards, and to see what products aftermarket manufacturers like Asus, MSI, Powercolor, etc. will bring to market.

If you have to buy a 4k or VR system now, then SLI is the only way to go and your options are the GTX 980 TI or the R9 Fury X. Slightly lesser cards might also be an option if tip-top performance isn't an issue. In that case the GTX 980 (non TI) or the R9 Fury (non X)/R9 Nano in SLI are both good choices.

SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    edited May 2016

This is a sad post.

I disagree. A lot of people play games as an alternative to other social activities, especially when said activities are destructive. So many parolees and ex-cons use gaming as a way to stay out of trouble.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    > 4GB
    > not much of a difference over the 7970

Nigga, you're better off getting a used workstation card instead of a gayming card if that's your mentality. GTX 1080 will be the new cause in housefires with its ridiculous clock rate.
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
    Nvidia limited the 1080 to 2-way SLI only, probably to prevent forest fires. :rofl:

Official 'Kevin Witness'

This is a sad post.

I disagree. A lot of people play games as an alternative to other social activities, especially when said activities are destructive. So many parolees and ex-cons use gaming as a way to stay out of trouble.

Maybe it's just me, but I put my energy into other things like writing, reading books, volunteering, local politics, gym, etc. I get putting time in games instead of drinking, but I usually combine the two. How could one not? You're just sitting there pushing buttons. Might as well get hammered doing so.
    This is offensive.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,620
    SWBeta wrote: »

You need to be looking at apartments you basement dweller
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING

This is a sad post.

Maybe it's just me, but I put my energy into other things like writing, reading books, volunteering, local politics, gym, etc. I get putting time in games instead of drinking, but I usually combine the two. How could one not? You're just sitting there pushing buttons. Might as well get hammered doing so.

Yeah, some people just don't like that stuff. Meh. It's really frustrating to me, but most the people I know don't really have a desire to do anything creative or self-improving. I've learned not to hate on them, just accept the differing personalities.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    edited May 2016

I know I'll need a new mobo if I upgrade my processor. I'm ready to buy a new one if need be. My processor is a i5 3570k
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    At that point, you probably just want to build from scratch.

Save up for a Broadwell-e 10-core or an AMD Zen, depending on benchmarks/budget.

LMAO @ CPU clock speeds actually being lowered now. 2001-era me would never have believed you if you told me this. :rofl:

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    Waiting on Zen too. I got upgrade my CPU to an FX 8350 a month ago, and it's p damn soild compared to Intel's offerings. But the DDR4 tho, I need dat unless I get a server grade mobo so I can get on dat ECC life. :kreygasm:
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
    At that point, you probably just want to build from scratch.

I don't feel I need to. I know I'm looking at a new mobo, processor and RAM to go with my graphics card update. My power supply should still be good, holding on to my old drives and I'm holding on to my case.
    That's pretty much a new PC right there. :rofl:

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Zotac have a great amp edition lined up for the 1080, need to find a release date though if am gonna cancel my current order for it.

Also didnt know this, but China gets the best versions of all GFX cards, the shit companies make for them wont get western releases.

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,255
    its moments like when sitting on the floor (in real life) by a fire (in Altspace tavern) and listening to music on youtube through Altspace's google search while real people are socializing around me makes me think about those people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to VR. it will get to a point where it will be like socializing at a campfire with friends and having magical powers that can make anything happen around you and your campfire friends. I was listening to PSO 1&2 soundtrack and started thinking about the times playing PSO on dreamcast then on xbox, 15 years later and we're inside these fucking games, crazy shit

"The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Zotac have a great amp edition lined up for the 1080, need to find a release date though if am gonna cancel my current order for it.

Also didnt know this, but China gets the best versions of all GFX cards, the shit companies make for them wont get western releases.

Back in the day, India got an HD 1650 XT that was better than the 1650 Pro that came out in the states. I wanted one so badly, but nerp! Only Habeeb had them.

Fucking Sonic.

:tdown:

Official 'Kevin Witness'

FBWWA5g.jpg

Like yea, who we got here with that chinese hookup?

GTX 1070 confirmed Titan X/980 TI killer. $375 it's a steal. Anyone with a 970 or a 980 non-TI.

Also, people don't realize that AMD isn't holding back their cards and it's definitely not that they don't have an answer to Nvidia's new products. They aren't competing in this cycle. There is no reason for them to. They will not beat Nvidia's cards by a large enough margin to compete with them, so why even do it?

Here's what their new cards (the R9 490 & 490X) are meant to do: Provide a platform for the next generation of consoles. They aren't competing with Nvidia this cycle, but they will be in late 2016/early 2017 when they release their consumer card featuring HBM memory and then finally release their newest memory technology.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia still beats them to market in the 3D memory arena. But, AMD wouldn't have wasted a cycle on hardware that they know is going to quickly become obsolete. All of these new cards that are coming out will very soon be outdone by emerging technologies that are vastly superior to them. Keep this in mind. It's not simply a case of a GPU re-design to be more efficient, it's totally new hardware altogether.

Memory is in a crisis right now because it's becoming too costly in terms of power consumption to feed data to the GPU fast enough. AMD and Nvidia are both developing memory solutions for this and they will be super fast. That's where AMD is trying to compete, and their new "Vega" GPUs are based on being able to adapt to all the different types of memory available (GDDR5, GDDR5x, HBM, HBM2, & HBM3(?) coming up in the future.

tl;dr - The race to 14nm chip production was won by Nvidia, AMD didn't need to compete with them to market though, because their focus is on the console market that they already have cornered and trying to plan for the future in regard to memory technology. Their showings are just a natural progression of technology getting better.

The real race is in tying together all the new and upcoming technologies: GDDR5x, High Bandwidth Memory 2, and the "Next-gen" HBM3(???).

This is an exciting time!

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Good time to be broke you mean, @Manx still need those cheap 4k monitor suggestions.

After the monitor its gonna be a DDR4 mobo and a couple of sticks of ram.

• echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,310
    i want to add some lights to my rig. But should i go with fans or a simple LED strip?
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
    Good time to be broke you mean, @Manx still need those cheap 4k monitor suggestions.

According to Toms, best 4k monitor is the Acer B286HK at $400 and the best G-sync 4k monitor is the Acer Predator XB321HK at a whopping $1270. Also these:

4K G-Sync 60hz - Acer XB280HK ($500)
    1440p G-Sync gaming 165hz - Acer Predator XB271HU ($700)
    Ultrawide Curved 4k G-Sync 75hz - Acer Predator Z34
    Ultrawide 1440p G-Sync gaming 144hz - Acer Predator Z35

I would stick to one of the > 60hz monitors. If it's a 4k monitor then get G-sync, but I wouldn't worry about it if you get a 1440p resolution or an ultrawide. Reason for that is the to offset the extra task of reducing screen tearing. You won't need it so much on the lower resolutions, but you definitely will at 4k.

These are just examples. Do your homework. I can't decide which monitor will be best for you. There's a lot of things to consider. How big your desk is, how far away you sit, what kind of games you play, how long do you wait between upgrades, etc.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    echelonNYK wrote: »
    i want to add some lights to my rig. But should i go with fans or a simple LED strip?

I'm kinda disappointed with my fan lights to be honest. I'd recommend going with an LED fan only for cosmetic purposes, as you want the best fan you can get on your components, and most LED fans are not that great. Put it on the side panel where it can be seen or something. Don't use it as your CPU or main case fan or something.

Otherwise, just use a strip.

On a quick Google search I discovered the bitfenix spectre pro series which are about $13 a fan and supposed to be pretty decent. I have no clue how loud they are or how much airflow you'll get. You should figure out what you're comfortable with and check some reviews.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,255

fuck 4k, join the VR brotherhood :wgrin:
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • SonicabidSonicabid Mundus VS Devil Trigger Vergil Joined: Posts: 12,112
    @Manx I'm not Indian. :sad:

I know I'll need a new mobo if I upgrade my processor. I'm ready to buy a new one if need be. My processor is a i5 3570k

Just upgrade your GPU. The longer you can wait to build a rig, the better. That CPU is no slouch.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sonicabid: Name a sequel in a series that was as huge of an advancement as from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

Green Karin.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,620
    evilj wrote: »
    Sonicabid: Name a sequel in a series that was as huge of an advancement as from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2.

I have a few answers but I want to hear his lol
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING