The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    Manx wrote: »
    4 of them for the cost of 1 1080. :rofl:

Oh yeah, the size of the memory on your card doesn't matter. 4GB is plenty unless you're doing hi rez textures in 4k (you're not). Don't buy the 8GB version for $50 more. It does NOT make your card faster.

What does is the type of memory that is used. So, for example, a card with 4 GB of GDDR5X will fucking STOMP the exact same card equipped with 8GB of regular GDDR5.

:tup:

wolfenstien was asking me for 6gb to run ultra textures.

So even though that's what the system is asking for, it doesn't mean it can even use them
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,357
    Lol if you can, get as much vram as possible
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    Ok, go AMD! Bring on the competition. Battle it out with NVIDIA so I can pick up the pieces.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 2016
    pedoviejo wrote: »
    Manx wrote: »
    4 of them for the cost of 1 1080. :rofl:

Oh yeah, the size of the memory on your card doesn't matter. 4GB is plenty unless you're doing hi rez textures in 4k (you're not). Don't buy the 8GB version for $50 more. It does NOT make your card faster.

What does is the type of memory that is used. So, for example, a card with 4 GB of GDDR5X will fucking STOMP the exact same card equipped with 8GB of regular GDDR5.

wolfenstien was asking me for 6gb to run ultra textures.

So even though that's what the system is asking for, it doesn't mean it can even use them

There's always exceptions. Skyrim, for example. Then again, games like that were designed with ultra settings that have higher end graphics users in mind. Those cards almost always have adequate vram. It's the mid-range where compromise is often made, and also where the most unformed consumers purchase and are most prone to making costly mistakes.
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    Lol if you can, get as much vram as possible

You should, but depending on what resolution and quality you're going to run. If you're not going to be turning on AA at anything higher than 1080p then there's no need really.

See above. There's no need to pay an extra $50 to$100 for features that aren't going to be utilized.

You should get the 8 GB version if you're planning on running a 2k or 4 k rig, or VR.

... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • AreEyeSeaKayAreEyeSeaKay Joined: Posts: 1,641
    edited June 2016
    My SE 360 fightstick just gave me a scare. I lost right and down inputs mid match (that I was winning and that would have put me into gold for the first time). The cord has been fraying near the base, and I thought it finally kicked the bucket. I opened it up this morning and it turns out the stick connecter just wiggled free.

Anyway, the scare had me looking up new sticks last night. Do ps3 sticks work on ps4 and pc without additional input lag? When searching this stuff all the info is from early February, and all reference a future madcatz driver (which I assume is out now).

I'd like to have a stick that I can use if I ever go to a tournament, but also not break the bank. I had planned on going to summer jam, but it's the same weekend I'm on vacation. If I'd have gone I would have been bumming sticks.

Edit: I have a whole bunch of gamestop bucks, so I could get a ps3 stick for no cash out of pocket.
    My SE 360 fightstick just gave me a scare. I lost right and down inputs mid match (that I was winning and that would have put me into gold for the first time). The cord has been fraying near the base, and I thought it finally kicked the bucket. I opened it up this morning and it turns out the stick connecter just wiggled free.

Anyway, the scare had me looking up new sticks last night. Do ps3 sticks work on ps4 and pc without additional input lag? When searching this stuff all the info is from early February, and all reference a future madcatz driver (which I assume is out now).

I'd like to have a stick that I can use if I ever go to a tournament, but also not break the bank. I had planned on going to summer jam, but it's the same weekend I'm on vacation. If I'd have gone I would have been bumming sticks.

I say at this point get whichever stick you like the best and stick a Brooke UFB in it. That thing is a god send.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,456
    Smashbro29 wrote: »

I say at this point get whichever stick you like the best and stick a Brooke UFB in it. That thing is a god send.

The brook ps3/ps4 board would be a more economical choice if pc and ps4 are where it's going to be used.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • CloudEnvyCloudEnvy I'll drop the freaking moon! Joined: Posts: 899

The brook ps3/ps4 board would be a more economical choice if pc and ps4 are where it's going to be used.

Does that board support xinput? If not I'd still say universal for the convenience. I just installed one in my stick this weekend and I love it.
    Watch me stream with my friends twitch.tv/superscrubbrothers

You're right, but I'd spend the 40 because on PC that means Xinput which is more compatible.
    I don't have a soldering kit, I'd have to do it at work. Not ideal if it requires soldering (can't see installation video on data).

Also the universal board is a little over budget if I'm also buying a stick.
    Msaa and tessellation on ultra settings.

Gonna get the 8gb one. I don't like to play without aa, it's why I moved from console.

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    It's only AA at resolutions higher than 1080p that are really affects.

Also, poorly made games with bad or no texture scaling that target high-end hardware.

I'll probably get the 8GB version too, but it's not a big deal for someone who's at the end of their budget and only games in 1080p.

SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,456

You're right, but I'd spend the 40 because on PC that means Xinput which is more compatible.

The ps3/ps4 board actually has a xinput mode for pc use.
    I don't have a soldering kit, I'd have to do it at work. Not ideal if it requires soldering (can't see installation video on data).

There are a couple easy connect breakout board options for $50.
    edited June 2016

No way, that's cool but if it has that doesn't it also mean it should work on 360? Do there exist PC only X-input controllers?

There are a couple easy connect breakout board options for $50.

Referring to something like this?
    http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1660-brook-ps3ps4-fighting-board-with-paradise-breakout-.html

No way, that's cool but if it has that doesn't it also mean it should work on 360? Do there exist PC only X-input controllers?

No, it does not work on 360, and yes, there are pc only xinput controllers (newest version of hori fighting commander for ps4 has it, for example).

Yes, like the one linked to above or this one: https://www.focusattack.com/ist-pre-installed-brook-ps3-ps4-fight-board-pcb-kit/
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,298
    Mafia 2 on sale on steam for 6 bucks.

2 more Dollars gets you all the dlc packs (excluding missions with jimmy)

Jimmy missions run an extra 2 bucks.

I'll prolly cop tomorrow.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,329
    Good deal. I also picked up Metal Gear Rising last week for $7.
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
    My stick works, crisis averted. I think I will save up for that universal pcb. Definitely seems worth it!
    echelonNYK wrote: »
    Good deal. I also picked up Metal Gear Rising last week for $7.

For real man, that is the best game I have played in a long time and I've still yet to pick up a game I liked as much as that. It's just the best goddamn game. Play that asap.
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    alright fampais.

Help me pick out a new computer chair. I just notice my chair is covered with jizz stains and fart stains.
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,572
    Damn Rick, coulda just said you needed a new seat didnt need to let us know about your sex life you fucking savage. Incidently since am using a stool atm :rofl: ive been looking for one too.

I find the racing chairs quite interesting. Adjustable arms and good lower back support. My desk is quite low so its a plus since I gotta be quite upright. Then again it could just be because my back is fucked cause of the stool.

s-l1000.jpg

"I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Human Scale makes great chairs, but they expensiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.
    This is offensive.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,763
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/twhQzM

So this is my list for now. Hopefully it's the last time I don't ask about this again, but I'll be getting a video card a couple months down the line. I'll be biting next week on this build as it seems the best for future proofing for games in the future (honestly it's just Cuphead and Scalebound I'm looking forward to next year), but I need something sooner than later because I want to start coding on a regular basis again.

SO is telling me to just get a laptop for now, but the prices aren't too far off.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    Solid PC for 2D/casual gaming and development.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • AKIAKI R.E.L.A.X Joined: Posts: 884
    edited June 2016
    @Femto
    What the hell is that 860W Power supply for? And why only 8GB ram?

Also, 128 GB isn't enough for anything.

I have the same mobo.
    DMC3SE is the greatest video game in history - currently working on a PROJECT | UNI[st] Yuzuriha/Phonon | BBCF Izanami | TEKKEN Kasumi/Asuka | Rev.2 Jam | SFV Kolin | FAWK Marvel
    edited June 2016
    I was running a 128 GB SSD for about a year after my 1.5TB died.

So long as you don't keep a ton of shit you don't need on your main computer, you're fine.

Yeah, you should go ahead and get 16 GB of RAM if you can afford it, though. Even though you don't need it, It's almost negligible in cost so why not?

If you're planning on building an overclocked SLI/Crossfire rig someday, then get the 860W. But if you're just going to stick with single card/on-die solutions, then it's overkill by at least 400W. You could get a baller-class 400W - 500W Platinum certified power supply for a lot less.

But, I will say that that is one primo ass power supply. I own one.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    edited June 2016
    AKI wrote: »
    @Femto
    What the hell is that 860W Power supply for? And why only 8GB ram?

Also, 128 GB isn't enough for anything.

I have the same mobo.

Honestly I was going off of @Manx 's build from earlier for almost everything but the processor.

Newegg gave me a combo deal for around $550 once I chose the processor I wanted, with a MOBO and memory. I went to pcpartspicker and here to look at other things that go with it.

The main things I'm looking at are processor, psu and mobo.

EDIT: Hoping to play Doom sometime soon as well, but I'll wait once I get a graphics card for that. I don't need to run it on Ultra settings )which would be nice), just as long as I get a solid 1080/60 on it, I'd be cool.

I have a 1TB external hard drive so Ide be using that in the meantime for memory.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    Femto wrote: »

So this is my list for now. Hopefully it's the last time I don't ask about this again, but I'll be getting a video card a couple months down the line. I'll be biting next week on this build as it seems the best for future proofing for games in the future (honestly it's just Cuphead and Scalebound I'm looking forward to next year), but I need something sooner than later because I want to start coding on a regular basis again.

SO is telling me to just get a laptop for now, but the prices aren't too far off.

Mobo aint Skylake, ram aint 16gb, you have the SSD for the OS but it wont hold many games on its own. No gfx which is very wise atm, you can go next gen with the 1070 or save a buck and be yesterdays high end with the RX-4xx.

Good PSU, you wanna carry as much wattage as you can, AMD doesnt play fucking games.

• AKIAKI R.E.L.A.X Joined: Posts: 884
    860w on a single card is complete and utter madness and retardation, so it's best to dial back if you're not going SLI/Crossfire.

With that choice alone, you could upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, or you could upgrade from the 212 to water cooling, giving you an overall better performance and nice clean look inside your rig.

If you are going to be running two cards then ignore me. Great PSU choice.
    DMC3SE is the greatest video game in history - currently working on a PROJECT | UNI[st] Yuzuriha/Phonon | BBCF Izanami | TEKKEN Kasumi/Asuka | Rev.2 Jam | SFV Kolin | FAWK Marvel
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    edited June 2016
    Crucades shilling hard for Nvidia right now. How many shekels were deposited to your account for recommending the 1070?

The GTX 1070 will end up being another 970. More bang for your buck but with 7.5GB, 16nm, and HBM made out of discrete transistors.
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
    crucades wrote: »
    Femto wrote: »

Mobo aint Skylake, ram aint 16gb, you have the SSD for the OS but it wont hold many games on its own. No gfx which is very wise atm, you can go next gen with the 1070 or save a buck and be yesterdays high end with the RX-4xx.

Good PSU, you wanna carry as much wattage as you can, AMD doesnt play fucking games.

So I want to be looking at Skylake mobo? Tried looking that up but skylake is the manufacturer of just the processors, no?

@AKI understood on the psu. I'd only be running one card, waiting for the 1070.

if you can afford a good high output powersupply, don't fucking skimp on it, cut elsewhere

Literally, that's something you shouldn't skimp out, its like skimping out on a fucking good mobo because a few dollars.

Skylake is the latest intel mobo, it will support their next 14nm kaby lake. 2017 will be the next big thing with 10nm Cannonlake.

@manx confirm.

I believe Skylake has a good 3 year milage in it, I stan for intel though so look around for whats best with you, but a good DDR4 skylake is where its at imo.

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX BLACK-GOKU-HAX Joined: Posts: 18,005
    Battleborn
    40% off in the humble store.

dozens of characters, no training mode considered to learn how to use them/practice. #SWEG :bee:
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

Thanks for the input @Manx @AKI @crucades and @pedoviejo

• orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Bought my 980 TI on black friday for $500 I'm happy with it, the 1080 is obviously better, but from 2010-2015 I rocked the same card so I'm not upgrading anytime soon.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • IWinAlotIWinAlot Joined: Posts: 202
    So is this rx 480 really going to be equivalent to the 390. I have been monitoring 390 for awhile and almost bit on 1 for 260 but if this rx 480 is the same then that will most definately be my choice for 200 bucks
    IWinAlot wrote: »
    So is this rx 480 really going to be equivalent to the 390. I have been monitoring 390 for awhile and almost bit on 1 for 260 but if this rx 480 is the same then that will most definately be my choice for 200 bucks

Estimates have it somewhere between a 390 and a 390x. Wait a few more weeks and we will see lots of benchmark data- I would absolutely skip buying a 390 right now and wait on the 480. It will also consume less power and should produce far less heat.