The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

1232233234235236238»

Comments

• Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    New System Specs
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.77 Ghz Overlocked
    MB: Asus X370-Pro (Bios ver 0504)
    Ram: DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
    Video: Radeon R9 380
    Drives: PNY 480 GB SSD, Toshiba 4TB HDD

ors62G6.png

Man, Ryzen is a joke. I got aboard the hype train and was ready to do a new PC build but there doesn't seem to be any point. The I7 7700k seems like the only cpu worth your time if you aren't filthy rich. My I-7 4770k build from 3 years ago at stock settings seems to almost as good as a 1700x in actual performance.
    i9u3ws0.jpg
    CPU: Intel I-7 4770K 3.5 Ghz (stock speed)
    MB: Asus Z87-Pro
    Ram: DDR3 Corsair Vengence 16GB (2 x 8 GB)
    Video: Geforce GTX 660ti
    Drives: Samsung 250 GB SSD, two cheap low rpm drives for storage.

Guess I'll just try overclocking and get a better video card this go round.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 7,875
    1080ti is 100% faster than 980ti

"The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,750
    edited March 16
    Ki Shima wrote: »

https://www youtube com/watch?v=th3DPAX27sA
    Are you just commenting about the 1080Ti or something above?
    Never pay double the retail price
    edited March 17
    New System Specs
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X @ 3.77 Ghz Overlocked
    MB: Asus X370-Pro (Bios ver 0504)
    Ram: DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
    Video: Radeon R9 380
    Drives: PNY 480 GB SSD, Toshiba 4TB HDD

ors62G6.png

Man, Ryzen is a joke. I got aboard the hype train and was ready to do a new PC build but there doesn't seem to be any point. The I7 7700k seems like the only cpu worth your time if you aren't filthy rich. My I-7 4770k build from 3 years ago at stock settings seems to almost as good as a 1700x in actual performance.
    http://i.imgur.com/i9u3ws0.jpg
    CPU: Intel I-7 4770K 3.5 Ghz (stock speed)
    MB: Asus Z87-Pro
    Ram: DDR3 Corsair Vengence 16GB (2 x 8 GB)
    Video: Geforce GTX 660ti
    Drives: Samsung 250 GB SSD, two cheap low rpm drives for storage.

Guess I'll just try overclocking and get a better video card this go round.
    Hell you are talking about my results are far better than yours.
    Also keep in mind there the law of diminishing returns.

Also I remember Intel's X99 had way more problems when it first came out.

Barnacules lay downs the truth with Microsoft being lying dirt bags.

I did not know he was a former Microsoft Employee till now.
    Post edited by Darksakul on

I'm just shocked that NVIDIA actually made a decent upgrade. Difference in power between 780ti and 980ti was around 50%
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil

I'm just shocked that NVIDIA actually made a decent upgrade. Difference in power between 780ti and 980ti was around 50%

True, Nvidia isn't that great when it comes to incremental upgrades.
  • ManxManx Rafaga <3's joo! Joined: Posts: 21,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 17
    Microsoft, you fail so hard. An Operating System SHOULD use the hardware to the fullest and at the most optimum use possible. WHY would you stop doing that? This is like Ford saying "Yo, I see you have a set of Pirellis there. How about you switch to Firestones so you can utilize the full range of speed out of your automobile."

WTF? What difference does it make what brand of tires I'm using? They're all round! As long as they fit, it shouldn't fucking affect the engine's capability!

That's pretty much what Microsoft is trying to sell you. The only difference is that you normally don't upgrade your car and try to keep the same set of wheels and tires. But that's just a minor difference. Microsoft should be able to support ANY X86 processor without any difficulty.

This shit is fucking ridiculous.

https://www.archlinux.org/download/

http://www.slackware.com/getslack/

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 1,914
    It's not an accidental fail, it's Micro$oft going back to their greedy-as-fuck roots and hoping the consumers are dumb sheep.
    Until the lawsuits start to fly at them once again, at least. And this time can there be someone who sues them NOT settle out of court???
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    It's not an accidental fail, it's Micro$oft going back to their greedy-as-fuck roots and hoping the consumers are dumb sheep.
    Until the lawsuits start to fly at them once again, at least. And this time can there be someone who sues them NOT settle out of court???

Actually Microsoft got rapped in US Federal Court by the Dept of Justice, and by the EU both with huge stuff fines and sanctions brought against them.
    Actually Intel got the worst, $1.4 Billion fee from EU courts for anti-competitive practices.
    Trust me the FTC and FCC already fined Microsoft for the Shady practice of paying You Tubers to give favorable reviews to their products and not having them disclose they are being paid by Microshit.

You know you no longer buy Windows in Europe bundled with Internet Explore or the Microsoft Edge browser.
    Instead their is a utility that allows you to download your choice of web browsers made by a outside 3rd part. This is by court order.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,118
    edited March 20
    Latest releases on the 3 major operating systems:

250px-MacOS_Sierra_wordmark.svg.png Apple 10.12.3 (January 23, 2017)
    120px-Tux.svg.png Linux 4.10.3 (March 15, 2017)
    300px-Windows_darkblue_2012_svg.svg.png Windows 10.0.14393.953 (March 14, 2017)
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 963
    oh shit I didn't even know Serena was out. Time to update my shit.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Haven't pulled the trigger on the Ryzen yet, but I'm really interested to see how his streaming while gaming stress test goes.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 1,914
    I want to get a 1700x, but dunno what mobo I want. Don't care for MSI again, to be honest.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    edited March 21
    You do have your choices.
    Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte (often rebranded as Aorus), and who ever Biostar is

Get X370 or B350 chipsets with X370 is enthusiast class while B350 is mainstream. X370 is better suited to multiple Video cards as it has more PCI-E lanes.
    Avoid B320 as they are for cheap off the shelf Retail builds.

• echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 2,971
    Why did companies stop making DDR3 ram sticks? it sucks seeing these cool DDR4 ones hitting the market, but my board doesn't support them.
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
    echelonNYK wrote: »
    Why did companies stop making DDR3 ram sticks? it sucks seeing these cool DDR4 ones hitting the market, but my board doesn't support them.

Because no one is using DDR3 Anymore. With AMD now using DDR4 there market is drying up.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 2,971
    edited March 22

Because no one is using DDR3 Anymore. With AMD now using DDR4 there market is drying up.

*Looks at his ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer*

ov_mb_34.jpg
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
    edited March 22

*Looks at his ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer*

https://3dnews ru/assets/external/illustrations/2014/07/30/824980/ov_mb_34 jpg

Still rocking the legacy PCI slots?
    What no floppy controller or ISA slots?

Kidding.

Look it just how shit is. With the last hold out for DDR 3 fading away and the universal adaption of DDR4, there just no reason to make DDR 3 Ram any more.
    Old stock will sell off, and it fall into obscurity like DD2, DDR, SD and Ram bus.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 22
    SNAAAAKE wrote: »

The original price is 124.99
    That said, looking at the reviews, alot of people (24% of reviews) reported that their DeepCool AIO leaked and ruined their PC.

I think you be better off with a better established brand.
    Seagate FireCuda 2 TB SSHD for $95 for 24 hours only

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179110&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL032317SEG&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032317SEG-_-EMC-032317-Index-_-LaptopInternalHardDrives-_-22179110-S0A&ignorebbr=1

Not sure if I should go in on this for my new build. Good deal? I'm unfamiliar with SSHDs and have no idea what the difference is between SSHDs and SSDs. *looks it up* Hmmm... not sure if I want to go in after all. lol
    And I just bought a drive too

Are SSHDs worth it or say doing a moderately sized SSD and a separate HDD?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,265
    Don't know if it's a local deal only, but Micro Center has the Asus Strix RX470 for $119 after rebate right now. Ridiculously good deal for a pretty respectable 1080p card. http://www.microcenter.com/product/468281/Radeon_RX_470_ROG_STRIX_Overclocked_4GB_GDDR5_Video_Card
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.

Are SSHDs worth it or say doing a moderately sized SSD and a separate HDD?

I say it depends on what you are trying to do. I say just do the SDD with a HDD storage
    1500 PPI (roughly 4k per eye) VR headset being revealed soon by Samsung and now 12k wireless VR possible now http://www.vudream.com/tech-breakthrough-12k-vr-now-possible-on-wi-fi-or-lte/

Gabe Newell from Valve said pretty soon VR games will look a lot better than monitor games. Who knew it would be this soon.

If they get the headsets to sunglasses size then only retro lovers will have a monitor probably only 10 years from now

Ray Kurzweil

It's no longer profitable to produce them. There are only like 2 or 3 foundries that are capable of producing high end memory. Possibly a couple more, but considering that everything is shifting towards DDR4, they have to stop making DDR3 in significant batches.

This makes older memory almost like a commodity. It is no longer being produced, and thus becomes more difficult to obtain, increasing the price. In time, the cost of DDR3 will exceed the cost of DDR4, just like DDR2 did.

That's why.

SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • Core SeriesCore Series My work is done here. Joined: Posts: 573
    edited March 24
    I have a GTX 950, which handles Rainbow Six:Siege like a breeze. I get 80-90FPS on Ultra settings, with overclock. 120fps on medium with standard clocking.
    I was on a budget so I decided to future-proof my CPU instead of investing heavily in graphics. I have an SSD and multiple HHDs. I had an idea what I was doing.
    I'm satisfied for now. Is there a compelling argument for upgrading to a 1080, given the information I've shared?
    No, if you're happy then continue on. 1080 is an overkill for most now, unless you're gaming at max settings at 2k. And even then, it highly depends on the games you play.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • LightzLightz Bangkok Bastard Joined: Posts: 1,209
    I'm probably considering upgrading my graphics card sometime soon, because I might sell my GTX960 to my cousin if he decides to build a pc. I'm eyeing the RX470 and the 480. Is it worth paying extra for the 480 or is the 470 good enough?
    Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.
    edited March 24
    Lightz wrote: »
    I'm probably considering upgrading my graphics card sometime soon, because I might sell my GTX960 to my cousin if he decides to build a pc. I'm eyeing the RX470 and the 480. Is it worth paying extra for the 480 or is the 470 good enough?

If thats the case, you might consider waiting a little longer for Vega to comeout later this spring.
    Like Manx said earlier with the GTX 1080 is overkill for most. But if you are gaming above 1080p or do VR you might just want the additional overhead.

I am using a AMD 380 and I am running ultra on most of my games with no issues. You aren't going to see that much improvement going from GTX960 to a RX470 or a 480. Laws of diminishing returns in play here.
    But the 480 will be more noticeable, especially if you get a card with more video ram. You aren't upgrading just for performance, but also more overhead.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,265
    Lightz wrote: »

Either of those would be big upgrades over the 960, even at 1080p with a 60fps target- go to the benchmarking pages in these reviews and see where the 960 is in comparison:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,1.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-rx-470-strix-gaming-4gb-review,1.html

Where the diminishing returns really start to kick in hard really depends on your monitor. If it's a 60hz 1080p monitor and your rig already holds 1080p/60fps with high settings and minimal dips, it's not worth upgrading until you get a higher resolution and/or a higher refresh rate monitor.

Do note that with a little bit of patience you can get some very low prices on both the 470 (one of which I linked to a couple posts up) and the 480 (I've seen the 4gb versions as low as $150).
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,624
    I'm okay with my 470 for now, since I have only 1080p monitors to work with.

After Evo, I'm going to put aside money for a Ryzen/Vega rig, which I'll probably end up just playing Fightcade with anyway.
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    all you PC gamers who like visual novels/story games but have had a 3DS or Vita,

The nonary games : zero escape is now out on steam. highly recommend.
    Green Karin.
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The 480 8gb model or GTX 1060 6gb model (both about the same) seem to be about as high as you need for 1080p gaming. I've been looking at cards since I'm about to upgrade and it seems like the 1070 is about as high as you should go and even that is wasteful if you aren't playing at 1440p.