The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,434
    edited March 28
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Mismatching Ram could be an issue.
    Technically the word is for modern mother boards, mismatching ram capacity should be fine for normal use. As its deemed compatible.
    If all you did was web surfing and office work, its an non issue.

But mixing different sizes of RAM bars makes the CPU cycle asymmetric, which can cause delay in CPU's data fetching that could become a bottleneck and therefore is not recommended for gaming.
    There other issues such as mismatching voltages, speed, timing, ect.

Ditch your two 4GB of ram. Most games run perfectly fine with a system that has only 16GB of ram.

Also what drives you use? If your primary/only drive is a traditional hard drive, when is the last time you defragged it?

Other things you want to look into is what background processes are you running in Windows.
    Its very easy to bog down a system with apps running in the background. If you don't need the application, ditch it.
    You don't need 20 some programs to auto start on boot.

Go into task manager and see what is everything your running.
    Click over to the start up Tab, you should only have applications that are required to run to start up. Those apps should include Anti-virus, video drivers, necessary hardware drivers and maybe Steam if you are a gamer.
    If you have a app on that Start up that you don't need, disable it. Take it off. if you have to uninstall it. That includes apps like skype and one drive.

Run MSConfig, go onto services. Look what services you don't need running. I suggest you hide Microsoft services as there services you don't want to disable such as the print spool (it makes printing possible).

Avoid huge downloads while gaming. Huge Downloads can cause delays in the network stack for what ever app is downloading, which can impact the data fetching of your CPU.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    edited April 1
    AM4 Cooler Brackets Info

Written Article
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2852-what-caused-am4-retention-kit-delay-for-liquid-coolers

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Do not Drink and Mod

Post edited by Darksakul on
    Nvidia Rant on shitty names and releases from a Nvidia Fan

• drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think Bayo hitting PC is...its quit a leap. That may push P* and others to put more of their stuff on PC. May be older stuff at first and be slow but it could pick up and we'll start seeing stuff that normally wouldn't hit PC.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just want Bayo2 on PC so I dont have to buy a WiiU.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    edited April 12
    Some damn good sale prices right now, including RE7, Dragon's Dogma, Nier, Redout, and even Bayonetta (small discount on that one, but the release was just yesterday, after all): https://www.destructoid.com/spring-sales-intensify-conan-exiles-35-off-mass-effect-andromeda-32-off-430975.phtml
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX DBGT non canon > maxxvatar OVA Joined: Posts: 17,798
    Not that big a leap after Transformers, good game, TMNT, mediocre game by platinum, and the Korra one (75% off sale all the time short one) were on PC.

But that Kamiya head producer can get bent for thinking he's too big a celeb and above being asked why Anarchy Reigns multiplayer is online only/legit question on why no offline mode.

'We're Japan devs, we don't have to. we don't care. blocked' = busta move to an SRK'er
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Get rekt. Kamiya is Jesus.
    When did we gave a shit about games on the PC Gaming thread?
    LOL, geez I can't believe I said that.

So I figured out where the hell Nvidia got their SLI technology from, it's the remnants of their buyout of 3DFX.
    3DFX was going out of business and they sold the company to rivals Nvidia, Nvidia quickly ended the 3DFX brand and keeped SLI.

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX DBGT non canon > maxxvatar OVA Joined: Posts: 17,798
    nope.
    Fucked up bald sucka doing shatta dirty like that and some even denser SRKer weirdo sigged his post about broken dreams when he had nothing to do with the conversation.
    Get rekt. Kamiya is Jesus.
    his ideal Bayonetta is KayoPolice whom he brought into his office as a very big fan. Posing next to Kayo for pics as a fanboy heart aflutter.

Got em.

udOiHPw.gif
    BayoNEESA >KayoPolicer
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

nope.
    Fucked up bald sucka doing shatta dirty like that and some even denser SRKer weirdo sigged his post about broken dreams when he had nothing to do with the conversation.

What? Did you posted this in the wrong thread or I have yet gotten how to interpret your style posting?
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,346
    lenovo y50-70 is acting up. None of my games will play correct. Alot of lag even with games like kof 98um. :(

Nvidia 960m,16ram,i7

It's plugged in and i updated the drivers.
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 15
    I'm running DA: Inquisition on my Asus, pretty neat so far. The keyboard is ass so I decided to roll with an Xbox controller, I have no idea how some people could play on the keyboard. This game was clearly made for a controller :lol: well at least to me.

Imma try to see if I can get into computer gaming. It's not so bad with the right setups.
    I'm sorry. Humor me!!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    danomighty wrote: »
    lenovo y50-70 is acting up. None of my games will play correct. Alot of lag even with games like kof 98um. :(

Nvidia 960m,16ram,i7

It's plugged in and i updated the drivers.
    I am assuming you are running Win 7, 8 or 10.

How warm is your laptop is running? Clean out the dust with a air duster or vacuum as best as you can.
    You might want to run defrag and CC Cleaner on your Hard Drive (don't defrag a SSD).
    Ephidel wrote: »
    I'm running DA: Inquisition on my Asus, pretty neat so far. The keyboard is ass so I decided to roll with an Xbox controller, I have no idea how some people could play on the keyboard. This game was clearly made for a controller :lol: well at least to me.

Imma try to see if I can get into computer gaming. It's not so bad with the right setups.
    Because the shit programmers made the game for a game pad. The game was originally intended for Consoles nto PCs hence the need for a game pad
    Most actual PC games run fine with a keyboard
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 15
    "Darksakul wrote:
    So I figured out where the hell Nvidia got their SLI technology from, it's the remnants of their buyout of 3DFX.
    3DFX was going out of business and they sold the company to rivals Nvidia, Nvidia quickly ended the 3DFX brand and keeped SLI.

You're just now finding that out? Yeah, 3DFX Vodoo was the SHIT back in the day. Yeah, I remember when Nvidia's SLI first came out and I was like uhh... folks... this shit ain't new at all.

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Sounds like he's just not accustomed to using a keyboard to game with. Takes a bit of getting use to but its great for a lot of games. I am kinda picky about the mouse I use though.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
    Manx wrote: »
    "Darksakul wrote:

You're just now finding that out? Yeah, 3DFX Vodoo was the SHIT back in the day. Yeah, I remember when Nvidia's SLI first came out and I was like uhh... folks... this shit ain't new at all.

:tup:

I knew about the 3DFX Voodoo card, what I didn't know that nvida was the one who bought them out and that is where they got their SLI technology from.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    Got a great price on a 1070 from a friend, now I need to decide whether to keep my 970 for a SFF build or to sell it.
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Joined: Posts: 3,579
    copped a copy of Battlerite on sale
    Good fun game I can play as a "break" game and easy to jump in and stop since the matches are real quick
  • GreyFoxxGreyFoxx R.I.P Brother. Joined: Posts: 4,419
    Helped a friend build a nice Ryzen build for like 1k...damn my PC building itch has come back again.
    GreyFoxx wrote: »
    Helped a friend build a nice Ryzen build for like 1k...damn my PC building itch has come back again.

DO IT
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 18
    John McAfee actually blew through 100 million, I don't know if I should laugh or cry for him.
    Post edited by J-ride on
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    J-ride wrote: »
    McAfee actually blew through 100 million, I don't know if I should laugh or cry for him.
    Are we talking about John McAfee or McAfee antivirus, as there is a difference.
    Polaris refresh reviews are out today, seems to be what you would expect for a refresh.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 18
    J-ride wrote: »
    McAfee actually blew through 100 million, I don't know if I should laugh or cry for him.
    Are we talking about John McAfee or McAfee antivirus, as there is a difference.
    Edited for clarity. John McAfee made some bad investments, but even so I can't imagine spending that much money in 30 years. http://www.securityweek.com/mcafee-says-hes-broke-after-fleeing-belize
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    edited April 19
    AMD has released the the 570 and the 580

Keep in mind this is not Vega, this is a rehash of Polaris which is used in the RX 400s
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,137
    So my co-worker didn't look into it too hard when I asked him about the Vega units. He thought those were it.
    Gotcha.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    Old school PC goodness, The original Star Craft and Brood wars expansion is now given away for free

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424
  • ZeroZero Ruler of Dimension X Joined: Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I made a ton of money riding from his pump-and-dump scam last year.

Thank you, John McAfee
    "Dont call it a comeback / I've been here for years"

Steam ID: drzerogi

Aura Crusher:
    www.geocities.com/xybaz (this site is dead, BTW)
  • KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So...against my better judgement...I decided to get a Titan Xp. Should show up tommorow...because if you are going to buy one, you might as well spend the couple extra bucks on the priority shipping.
    Few hours later read an article about the rumored 20 series of geforce cards are coming out q3. So it was nice while it lasted, I guess.
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-20-volta-graphics-card-q3-2017/

Wccftech is kind of a bad site though. I have masochistic thing for the comment section, where every single article has a amd vs intel/nvidia fanboy war going on.
    Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
    Zero wrote: »

I made a ton of money riding from his pump-and-dump scam last year.

Thank you, John McAfee

I still think he be a better presidential candidate than Trump and Hillary
    The Terry Crews Custom Gaming PC Build is HERE

• RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,984
    KOF 14 has been announced for Steam. Also, I snagged an i5-6400 locally for $80, planning on doing a mini-itx build for fun.
    Just saw that Vanquish will be released on 5/25 as well. That one should be extra nice with a higher frame rate and resolution.
    So, I got this new laptop. It came pre-installed with windows 10. Been having issues and was posting in the Windows 10 thread but I figured I'd post my bullshit here in case one of y'all may have an idea on what to do or where to look for help.
    I'm having an issue and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. My laptop was running fine for the first couple days, then it updated. Now if it sits idle for a while, nothing running, it just freezes up. It doesn't shut off or give me a BSOD it just freezes. I have to do a hard reset. It doesn't happen all the time, it only happened twice but its strange.

Anyone know anything about such an issue or what could possibly cause it?
    There is no BSOD. Its just stuck on my desktop. Nothing responds, not the mouse, not the keyboard, nada. Only thing I can do is a hard reset.

I did a bit of looking around and found that some people have similar issues and they had to disable some auto-defrager thingy in the task scheduler. I did that. So we'll see how it goes.

P.S. Also as I was reading I learned that when 10 updates it tends to turn things you disable back on. I just had to do an update. I'll have to check if that shit is enabled again.

Anyone know how to turn off auto-updates on 10?
    I did some more lookin' last night and people that have similar issues say to leave a song running in media player and it wont freeze. That's strange. Another guy with the same issue said he fixed it by removing a Steam game that was causing it to freeze like mine is. I dunno.
    Ive read that maybe I should update my BIOS. Could that possibly be an issue? I figured since the damn thing is new that shit would be up to date, but perhaps that's not the case.

So that's it. Right now I'm running some scan. Its in command prompt. type in some shit /scannow. Seems its gonna take a while.
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

drizzt360 wrote: »
    So, I got this new laptop. It came pre-installed with windows 10. Been having issues and was posting in the Windows 10 thread but I figured I'd post my bullshit here in case one of y'all may have an idea on what to do or where to look for help.
    I'm having an issue and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. My laptop was running fine for the first couple days, then it updated. Now if it sits idle for a while, nothing running, it just freezes up. It doesn't shut off or give me a BSOD it just freezes. I have to do a hard reset. It doesn't happen all the time, it only happened twice but its strange.

Anyone know anything about such an issue or what could possibly cause it?
    There is no BSOD. Its just stuck on my desktop. Nothing responds, not the mouse, not the keyboard, nada. Only thing I can do is a hard reset.

I did a bit of looking around and found that some people have similar issues and they had to disable some auto-defrager thingy in the task scheduler. I did that. So we'll see how it goes.

P.S. Also as I was reading I learned that when 10 updates it tends to turn things you disable back on. I just had to do an update. I'll have to check if that shit is enabled again.

Anyone know how to turn off auto-updates on 10?
    I did some more lookin' last night and people that have similar issues say to leave a song running in media player and it wont freeze. That's strange. Another guy with the same issue said he fixed it by removing a Steam game that was causing it to freeze like mine is. I dunno.
    Ive read that maybe I should update my BIOS. Could that possibly be an issue? I figured since the damn thing is new that shit would be up to date, but perhaps that's not the case.

So that's it. Right now I'm running some scan. Its in command prompt. type in some shit /scannow. Seems its gonna take a while.

Yeah I read your post in the other thread. Preppy knows what he talking about
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,003
    Just saw that Vanquish will be released on 5/25 as well. That one should be extra nice with a higher frame rate and resolution.

Holy crap. KoF XIV and a res/fps-unlocked Vanquish?! I am so there.
    I just got Bayonetta on Steam. This version kicks the ever living crap out of the original releases.
    jopamo wrote: »

Holy crap. KoF XIV and a res/fps-unlocked Vanquish?! I am so there.
    I just got Bayonetta on Steam. This version kicks the ever living crap out of the original releases.

Then you should also be getting a 25% discount on a Vanquish pre order. Bundle stars even bumped it up to 30% if you bought/buy Bayonetta from them.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,003
    edited May 13
    Pre-ordered! Thanks!

In other news, I've been thinking of upgrading my 2014 i5-4460 to a new i5. I was planning on waiting until Cannonlake. Any compelling reasons to upgrade before 2018?
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 14
    Is 8gb of ram enough for a casual PC user? I'm trying to do a budget build for my brother. Got a power supply for $20 (newegg) and a Ryzen 5 1500X for $155 (ebay) and was feeling pretty good but I can't find cheap RAM anywhere. Looking into it seems like prices are going to keep going up possibly for the whole year. I'd like to get him 16gb but I'm thinking about cutting some corners and just getting him a 8gig stick for now and maybe grabbing another one next year when the prices go back down. He tends to play free to play MMOs, Second Life (yeah...), Skyrim, Weeaboo games, and chat. As far as I know he doesn't stream or make videos. Would another 8 gigs make much of a difference?
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Well I am PC Master Race now I guess, got a nice rig with a 1070 in it. Picked up Doom and Xrd on the cheap to test it out.

Pretty kewl, will read this thread regularly from now on for sales and news. Get my steam and peen size building going.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    Is 8gb of ram enough for a casual PC user? I'm trying to do a budget build for my brother. Got a power supply for $20 (newegg) and a Ryzen 5 1500X for $155 (ebay) and was feeling pretty good but I can't find cheap RAM anywhere. Looking into it seems like prices are going to keep going up possibly for the whole year. I'd like to get him 16gb but I'm thinking about cutting some corners and just getting him a 8gig stick for now and maybe grabbing another one next year when the prices go back down. He tends to play free to play MMOs, Second Life (yeah...), Skyrim, Weeaboo games, and chat. As far as I know he doesn't stream or make videos. Would another 8 gigs make much of a difference?

8GB of ram is more than enough for a casual user, if anything 8GB is the sweetspot for ram at the moment, and there's no reason to go beyond 16GB even for serious gamers.
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Okay, thanks. Bought a stick.
    jopamo wrote: »
    Pre-ordered! Thanks!

In other news, I've been thinking of upgrading my 2014 i5-4460 to a new i5. I was planning on waiting until Cannonlake. Any compelling reasons to upgrade before 2018?

I wouldn't think so. Are you hitting its limits before your gpu's limits? More specifically, are you having sub 60fps dips caused by the CPU?