The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,393
    edited October 2
    I'm more waiting for GPU prices to hurry the fuck up and nosedive down to reasonable affordability already.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,055 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Raz0r wrote: »
    Everything I read is pointing me to Ryzen. I know Intel drops new shit in two days, but I have zero belief that the prices on these processors are going to be reasonable. Why pay $375 for a processor that does what a $200 processor can do?

Could be worse: Apple could start manufacturing computer parts.
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Juri Duty All Day Joined: Posts: 1,575
    I'm more waiting for GPU prices to hurry the fuck up and nosedive down to reasonable affordability already.

Amazon had GTX 1060 3GB for $200 last week. I picked one up myself. They are up to $215 and out of stock at the moment. One would hope the 1070 comes down a little since the 1070TI is coming. RX Vega prices are still in the air. IMO Vega 64 is not priced well even at MSRP. If Vega 56 stays at $500, then it's not priced well either.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,245
    Everything I read is pointing me to Ryzen. I know Intel drops new shit in two days, but I have zero belief that the prices on these processors are going to be reasonable. Why pay $375 for a processor that does what a $200 processor can do?

Could be worse: Apple could start manufacturing computer parts.

I rather things have shit prices than Apple getting into another Market.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My boss gave me $200 for my birthday today. Hoping to get an extra bonus from my boss's boss and thinking of purchasing this Ryzen 5 1600 combination with 16 GB RAM.

You guys aren't kidding about RAM prices. Holy shit, 16 gigs for $180? Fuck me silly.
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
    Whoa, $50 in taxes to ship to NY? Lol fuck this noise.
    edited October 4
    My boss gave me $200 for my birthday today. Hoping to get an extra bonus from my boss's boss and thinking of purchasing this Ryzen 5 1600 combination with 16 GB RAM.

You guys aren't kidding about RAM prices. Holy shit, 16 gigs for $180? Fuck me silly.

A bit over a year ago I had a stick of RAM die and needed to replace my RAM. I ended up buying 16GB for like $75. Now it's like double the price and that was for some pretty middle range, not top of the line DDR3 RAM. Shit is ridiculous.

For once, Millennials actually did kill something, and it was reasonably priced RAM.
  • RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,999
    @Raz0r : Still looking for a CPU?
    "Google Express offers New Customers: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6GHz Processor for $199.99 - $30 w/ promo code ORDERNOW20 = $169.99. Shipping is free. "
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10622276-amd-ryzen-1600x-170-with-first-google-express-purchase-free-shipping-169-99?utm_source=rss&utm_content=fp&utm_medium=RSS2

Personally haven't used Google Express, but the price looks good.

A bit over a year ago I had a stick of RAM die and needed to replace my RAM. I ended up buying 16GB for like $75. Now it's like double the price and that was for some pretty middle range, not top of the line DDR3 RAM. Shit is ridiculous.

For once, Millennials actually did kill something, and it was reasonably priced RAM.

I got my dual channel 32GB Ram for like $110 last year, now it is more than $300
    Rampage wrote: »
    @Raz0r : Still looking for a CPU?
    "Google Express offers New Customers: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6GHz Processor for $199.99 - $30 w/ promo code ORDERNOW20 = $169.99. Shipping is free. "
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10622276-amd-ryzen-1600x-170-with-first-google-express-purchase-free-shipping-169-99?utm_source=rss&utm_content=fp&utm_medium=RSS2

Personally haven't used Google Express, but the price looks good.

Thanks, dude.

I saw this deal earlier and the tax bumps it up to $190. I was going to buy it but I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink I fixed the issue with my current PC. So I'm going to ride it out just a bit longer and wait for better pricing.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,301
    edited October 5
    Hopefully your issue’s resolved. I’d say to wait things out for at least 6 months.

It’s entertaining to watch Intel scramble nowadays after Ryzen. I’m hoping that they hit at least a triple with Ice Lake. Who needs 6 physical cores?...when you can have EIGHT! (Hopefully for less than $400)
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Juri Duty All Day Joined: Posts: 1,575
    Testing out this 1060 3GB I got while I RMA my RX 480. It's what you'd expect. Does better in certain games like GTA5, stumbles in AMD optimized games like Doom and Quake Champions. I get those weird frame drops at the end of rounds in SFV, just like it does on PS4. Still maintains 60fps max settings during fights. Never had to deal with that with the RX 480 though. Love the lower thermals, power draw, and fan noise. The fans don't even need to spin when playing SFV. Still would like that extra GB of VRAM the RX 480 has.

Here's the 1060 running Quake Champions on high settings. Maintains 90+fps for the majority of the time. I can play on Ultra with the same frame rate when using the RX 480, again, it's an AMD optimized game.

My 480 started switching to a black screen, then the Windows 10 device disconnect/connect sound would play. I thought is was the video driver continually crashing, but I used older drives, reinstalled drivers, used basic windows drivers, but nothing worked. Tried a spare PSU, still nothing. Switched to integrated graphics, problem went away. Switched to the 1060, problem went away. Sent it to Sapphire, it's still under their 2 year warranty. I needed a known good spare anyway.

Quick question about air flow: I have three 120mm exhaust fans running at 900~1000 RPM, and two 140mm fans running at ~1200 RPM; how should I adjust these, if able, if I want positive or negative air pressure?
    Quick question about air flow: I have three 120mm exhaust fans running at 900~1000 RPM, and two 140mm fans running at ~1200 RPM; how should I adjust these, if able, if I want positive or negative air pressure?

The RPM is only the speed of the fan rotation, the other measurement you want to look at is the CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute of airflow, which is how much volume of air is being forced by the fans.
    And depending on the location you want ether High Air Flow or High Static Pressure. High Static pressure you want for Liquid cooled radiators (both custom and All in ones). but for the typical fan vent you want High air flow unless that spot has a high air restriction like a dense fan filter.

You want ether Balanced (Neutral) or Positive pressure, you don't want negative pressure. It is very, very hard to maintain balanced air pressure so go with Positive.
    With Positive air pressure you get air forcing its way over the RAM, GPU cooler, VRMs, Chipset of the Motherboard, drives, ect. Pretty much anything that isn't already water cooled.
    Darksakul wrote: »

The RPM is only the speed of the fan rotation, the other measurement you want to look at is the CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute of airflow, which is how much volume of air is being forced by the fans.
    And depending on the location you want ether High Air Flow or High Static Pressure. High Static pressure you want for Liquid cooled radiators (both custom and All in ones). but for the typical fan vent you want High air flow unless that spot has a high air restriction like a dense fan filter.

You want ether Balanced (Neutral) or Positive pressure, you don't want negative pressure. It is very, very hard to maintain balanced air pressure so go with Positive.
    With Positive air pressure you get air forcing its way over the RAM, GPU cooler, VRMs, Chipset of the Motherboard, drives, ect. Pretty much anything that isn't already water cooled.

The stock fans that come with the Corsair H115i are SP140Ls. Their airflow is rated at 49.49 CFM. Two of them are running, obviously. The Corsair SP120s on my GPU radiator and top of case as exhaust push 52 CFM.
    I got two of these on my 280mm Radiator
    https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Cooling-NF-A14-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRF1A/

Noctura wants to list their measurements in metric of 269.3 Cubic meter/hour which translates to 158.4 CFM.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I got two of these on my 280mm Radiator
    https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Cooling-NF-A14-iPPC-3000-PWM/dp/B00KFCRF1A/

Noctura wants to list their measurements in metric of 269.3 Cubic meter/hour which translates to 158.4 CFM.

I'm just wondering how or even if I currently need to make adjustments. I assume with my current set up I currently have positive air pressure?

Ideally, one day, I get around to replacing all the fans with HD140s and HD120s to make everything match (and be pretty).
    edited October 7
    jopamo wrote: »
    I’m hoping that [Intel] “hits at least a triple” with Ice Lake. Who needs 6 physical cores?...when you can have EIGHT! (Hopefully for less than $400)
    I (possibly) stand corrected...
    It looks like there is good value in the new i5-8400. Sub-$200, and beating the vast majority of current CPUs in gaming benchmarks (except the ~$1000 chips.)
    http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/

These obviously will not be as good at other tasks (streaming, content creation), but that is not to say they will perform particularly poorly, just behind the Ryzen 7's (which exceeded all expectations for productivity tasks). If you are just looking to get into gaming at a good price, they are worth looking into, IMHO.

Thoughts?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,471
    Sounds like a great option for new gaming builds- having to buy a Z370 chipset mobo kills the value proposition for smaller upgrades. I am curious to see how long that mobo chipset lifespan will be versus the existing AM4 boards, though the gaming performance is so good that a CPU upgrade from the 8400 (or the inevitable 8500/8600k) is unlikely to be needed for a long time.

That said, Micro Center (or at least the one in my town) currently has the 8400 for $250, while the R5 1600 is $170. AM4 mobos are as low as $50 ($65 for a B350), cheapest 370 mobo I'm seeing is $125. So personally, I would still go with the 1600 as the best value proposition, though there's no contest when it comes to the 8400 crushing it in single thread performance, which is still most important in gaming.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,471
    I should add that when we do see the 8400 for $200 or less and cheaper mobo options, this could very well be the ideal value to performance buy.
    Yeah I was thinking about just doing the last generation of Intel as my upgrade, but a Ryzen 5 just looks too good.
    That said, Micro Center (or at least the one in my town) currently has the 8400 for $250, while the R5 1600 is $170. AM4 mobos are as low as $50 ($65 for a B350),

Speaking of which, apparently they are doing some nice Ryzen bundles:
    Example Bundles

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 4-Core 3.2Hz Processor + Motherboard from $194.98
    Starting bundle price also reflects a $15 Rebate for the motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 4-Core 3.5Hz Processor + Motherboard from $204.98
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core 3.2Hz Processor + Motherboard from $209.98
    Starting bundle price also reflects a $20 Rebate for the motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6Hz Processor + Motherboard from $244.98
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 Core 3.0Hz Processor + Motherboard from $309.98
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core 3.4GHz Processor + Motherboard from $319.98
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6GHz Processor + Motherboard from $399.98

https://slickdeals.net/f/10629036-amd-ryzen-1800x-350-1700x-270-1700-260-1600x-200-and-more-before-30-bundle-savings-micro-center?utm_source=rss&utm_content=fp&utm_medium=RSS2
    Damn this Amazon only gift card!
    edited October 8
    I should add that when we do see the 8400 for $200 or less and cheaper mobo options, this could very well be the ideal value to performance buy.
    I’ll put my money on prices dropping sharply on H/Z370 when Z390 hits shelves.
    Intel-300-Series-8th-Gen-Chipset-Roadmap-For-Coffee-Lake-CPUs-Z370-Z390-H370-H310-B360-Q360-Q370.jpg

That’s when I plan to jump in on the 8400. Time to pass down the 4460 and H97 to the in-laws
    edited October 9
    These Micro Center deals are no joke. The AMD Ryzen 5 build I wanted to get is $391 from MC, About $150 less than through Amazon.

EDIT: I pulled the trigger. The savings were just too much to ignore and I can just save my $200 Amazon credit for other shit like a new phone.

Got:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler $169.99
    GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99
    Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL16 SR Dual Channel Desktop Memory $129.99

With the board I may have to update the BIOS but hopefully that's not a huge issue. Looking forward to having a PC that is brand-new again.
    Post edited by Raz0r on
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,583
    a Newegg deal

$25 Cash Back for Online Purchases of $350+

https://www.retailmenot.com/rebates/online/2/9201886?utm_content=9201886
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
    $25 Cash Back for Online Purchases of $350+

To Qualify for Cash Back:
    • Turn off all ad-blocking software.
    • Go directly to newegg.com from RetailMeNot to complete your purchase.
    • Meet the minimum spend before taxes/shipping and after any discounts have been applied.
    • Provide your email address so we know where to send updates.
    • Once approved, the cash back reward can be redeemed from your RetailMeNot wallet.

Turn off Ad Block, Provide Email, "wallet" with shady 3rd party?
    Sounds like they want your Ad Block off so they can get to your computer with some shady adware.

No fucking way, they can keep their $25 bucks. Ad Block does not comes off for this shite.

edited October 12
    So the new Coffee Lake i5 8600K seems pretty damn fast. Out the box it's 3.6GHz before going into turbo (4.2GHz btw). That's faster than my current Ryzen 5 1600. Do you guys think I should return my setup and get the new coffee lake or is the performance difference minimal?
    Post edited by Raz0r on
    Also, does anyone want a Quake Champions pack? Came free with this but I don't play Quake.
    So the new Coffee Lake i5 8600K seems pretty damn fast. Out the box it's 3.6GHz before going into turbo (4.2GHz btw). That's faster than my current Ryzen 5 1600. Do you guys think I should return my setup and get the new coffee lake or is the performance difference minimal?

It's definitely a higher performer for gaming, but you're also talking about spending a hell of a lot more when the motherboard is factored in. Also, whether or not you would see any difference depends on your graphics card and the refresh rate of your monitor- the 1600 is plenty adequate to avoid sub 60 fps dips. And your setup will allow you to overclock if you do need more power.
    Yeah, I slept on it and figure that I don't need so much processor power. For the most part, my desktop PC is used for work and watching movies. I do play games but it's usually Guilty Gear or other fighters with a rare dip into those AAA games that come out like Cuphead and Divinity 2. Shit, even with my previous setup Divinity 2 ran on Ultra settings just fine. No hiccups or anything.

I'm running a 970 and I def don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon. I don't see a point, really. I use SC2 as the benchmark for what my games can push and 970 pushes that game at ultra without breaking a sweat.

So thanks. I figure with a $170 Ryzen 5 and a motherboard discounted to $50, it's just too sweet a deal to really give it back. I just wish the RAM wasn't so expensive.
    It's definitely a higher performer for gaming, but you're also talking about spending a hell of a lot more when the motherboard is factored in. Also, whether or not you would see any difference depends on your graphics card and the refresh rate of your monitor- the 1600 is plenty adequate to avoid sub 60 fps dips. And your setup will allow you to overclock if you do need more power.

Yeah with graphical performance staying at 60 frames per second (or higher), it be the graphics card and not the CPU that be doing all the heavy lifting.
    Yeah, I slept on it and figure that I don't need so much processor power. For the most part, my desktop PC is used for work and watching movies. I do play games but it's usually Guilty Gear or other fighters with a rare dip into those AAA games that come out like Cuphead and Divinity 2. Shit, even with my previous setup Divinity 2 ran on Ultra settings just fine. No hiccups or anything.

I'm running a 970 and I def don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon. I don't see a point, really. I use SC2 as the benchmark for what my games can push and 970 pushes that game at ultra without breaking a sweat.

So thanks. I figure with a $170 Ryzen 5 and a motherboard discounted to $50, it's just too sweet a deal to really give it back. I just wish the RAM wasn't so expensive.

StarCraft II isn't that demanding of a game since Blizzard was smart enough to make the game scale with different hardware so easily. But I see your point if most of your Games are also not that demanding.
    I take it you going to stay at 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution with a 970, you should be fine with all but the most demanding of games, and you only see rare/occasional dips below 60 fps, but some of those are unavoidable.
    Put another way, your new CPU isn't going to limit what you can get out of your 970.
    Put another way, your new CPU isn't going to limit what you can get out of your 970.
    I second that statement.

Where your CPU have may or may not have issues with, if you tried to live stream or live capture while gaming.
    I was thinking about streaming, but I don't think I have an audience for it. And my old setup livecaptured just fine. I hope it's the same with the Ryzen.

I maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay get an ultra-wide monitor but I still think the 970 would be fine. Shit, the card is able to give off dual monitors by itself.
    So I discover these, those who want the RGB Fan look, but with actual good Fan performances.

120mm
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811984012

140mm
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811984013
    That reminds me, I need to find fans for my tower. I've been running with just two fans for years. Usually it's fine but on the really hot days my PC shuts down. Wacky.
    That reminds me, I need to find fans for my tower. I've been running with just two fans for years. Usually it's fine but on the really hot days my PC shuts down. Wacky.

Besides getting new fans, make sure you clean out any dust as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file