The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk.

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,265 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    When installing my new stuff over the weekend, I decided to clean the case. Holy shit at the size of some of the dust bunnies in there. A whole can of air couldn't clean it all so I just wiped it down before installing the new guts.

Aside from fans, I also need to set up some mesh guards to prevent any dust from getting in and make cleaning easier.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
    edited October 2017
    Never mind. I found something pretty solid for $90. More than I want to spend but gives me lots of options, including limiting the connection of one of my roommate's to shit since her and her friends hog up all the bandwidth.
    Post edited by Raz0r on
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,114
    Civilization III is free on Humble Bundle for 2 days
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,677
    Civilization III is free on Humble Bundle for 2 days
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete

Good, I need like a 3rd Copy
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 7,043
    edited October 2017
    So uhhh... once in awhile I get that windows 10 error with the blue screen(is this the windows 10 bsod?) where the PC tries to recover, then once the PC reboots all is fine. Yesterday PC didn't recover, it restarts and then I get an error saying boot manager not found. Turned off the PC and turned it back on and everything was fine. Today same thing happens only powering off and on didn't fix it. Now it goes to a blue screen that says I need to use repair tools.

Edit: apparently it's a removable storage problem. I had my external hdd connected at the time, but after removing it I still get the error.

Edit 2: I reformatted.... but why the hell is everything so damn slow? Opened up Edge to dl Chrome and edge just keeps crashing. Is it updating my pc or something? I checked updates and nothing is running.
    Post edited by Shinkuu Tatsumaki on
  • Fatal Error XIFatal Error XI Juri Duty All Day Joined: Posts: 1,624
    edited October 2017
    So uhhh... once in awhile I get that windows 10 error with the blue screen(is this the windows 10 bsod?) where the PC tries to recover, then once the PC reboots all is fine. Yesterday PC didn't recover, it restarts and then I get an error saying boot manager not found. Turned off the PC and turned it back on and everything was fine. Today same thing happens only powering off and on didn't fix it. Now it goes to a blue screen that says I need to use repair tools.

Edit: apparently it's a removable storage problem. I had my external hdd connected at the time, but after removing it I still get the error.

Edit 2: I reformatted.... but why the hell is everything so damn slow? Opened up Edge to dl Chrome and edge just keeps crashing. Is it updating my pc or something? I checked updates and nothing is running.

Run a chkdsk (check disk) on the boot drive. Is it a HDD? How old is it? You might have a lot of bad sectors. Also is your anti-malware/virus up to date.
    Ok yeah the taskbar and stuff was sluggish asf cuz windows was updating. Just had to wait a bit.

Everything is good now. Fresh start.
    Ok yeah the taskbar and stuff was sluggish asf cuz windows was updating. Just had to wait a bit.

Everything is good now. Fresh start.

That might have been the new fall update. I just checked Windows Update right now because something was using all my bandwidth. Sure enough, it's pushing out a new Windows version 1709. I was hoping I would be on the later side of the roll out.
    edited October 2017
    Well... now my start menu is not working. I left click and nothing happens.

Wtf is this bs. I've googled it and tried some things, but no luck.

Edit: Sometimes upon startup it works, sometimes it doesn't. Idk what the issue is.
    Post edited by Shinkuu Tatsumaki on
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Well... now my start menu is not working. I left click and nothing happens.

Wtf is this bs. I've googled it and tried some things, but no luck.

Edit: Sometimes upon startup it works, sometimes it doesn't. Idk what the issue is.

I have this issue every time I boot up Xsplit to stream. Seems to be a common bug. Not sure what causes it or how to fix it though.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,114
    Newegg is being sued by Korean banks for fraud. They accuse Newegg of being a Ponzi scheme.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/korean-banks-sue-newegg-allege-online-retailer-aided-massive-fraud/
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I need some help y'all. My daughter wants to build a rig. Well, she was gonna buy one but I talked her out of that. I need some help figuring out what to get. She wants that shit to be beastly. Budget is 2000 dollars but I'd like to keep it at 1300 - 1500 dollars. Help a brotha out.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
    drizzt360 wrote: »
    I need some help y'all. My daughter wants to build a rig. Well, she was gonna buy one but I talked her out of that. I need some help figuring out what to get. She wants that shit to be beastly. Budget is 2000 dollars but I'd like to keep it at 1300 - 1500 dollars. Help a brotha out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VjxhCy

Here's something to get started. Price can go up or down depending on your priorities. Your budget does give you a lot of wiggle room. You can bring the price down by opting for a smaller capacity standard SSD instead of a M.2. If she's comfortable with overclocking, you can go with the Ryzen 7 1700 instead of the 1700X. She might want more RAM than 16GB(the motherboard listed maxes out at 64), however ram is very expensive at the moment.

The case is personal preference. I just picked a midrange case that was compatible with a top mounted 240mm cpu radiator.

I don't think my Ryzen 5 and GTX 970 are getting along very well. Either that or any of the three components I upgraded.

Before I upgraded I didn't experience severe frame drops but I've had this happen once playing Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 and a couple of times playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. This didn't happen with my old-ass i5 proc I used for 8 or so years. Popped up when I switched to a Ryzen build.

I did some looking around and some people are saying that there are often compatibility issues between the board's BIOS and the card. I checked mine and it is the recommended BIOS for the card along with the most updated drivers for my 970.

I'm just thinking of doing a clean install over the weekend to see if it fixes the issue. Thoughts?
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My grim dawn shilling here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/642280/Grim_Dawn__Ashes_of_Malmouth_Expansion/

Expansion mode came out not long ago.
    Jerkin' off to it every day.
    All I do is draw naked birds all day.
    Twitter; PozerWolf
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't think my Ryzen 5 and GTX 970 are getting along very well. Either that or any of the three components I upgraded.

Before I upgraded I didn't experience severe frame drops but I've had this happen once playing Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 and a couple of times playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. This didn't happen with my old-ass i5 proc I used for 8 or so years. Popped up when I switched to a Ryzen build.

I did some looking around and some people are saying that there are often compatibility issues between the board's BIOS and the card. I checked mine and it is the recommended BIOS for the card along with the most updated drivers for my 970.

I'm just thinking of doing a clean install over the weekend to see if it fixes the issue. Thoughts?

Have you tried updating your BIOS and AMD chipset drivers? Could make a difference. I honestly don't see how a CPU and GPU would conflict each other when it comes to interacting with software. It makes more sense that the games are conflicting with the hardware, not necessarily the hardware conflicting with each other, if that makes sense.
    PozerWolf wrote: »
    My grim dawn shilling here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/642280/Grim_Dawn__Ashes_of_Malmouth_Expansion/

Expansion mode came out not long ago.
    Jerkin' off to it every day.

Been playing the expansion myself lately. Made a Death Knight and I'm in Act V Normal/Veteran. Expansion has been pretty cool so far, although it seems like the new classes/masteries didn't get enough item support? Could be wrong though.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,997
    edited November 2017
    I forgot there was a thread for this, so quoted from the Video Game thread.
    So, the guy who was getting me the processor actually got fired sometime in between when he accepted my terms for the processor and today. RIP.

But I pull in more than enough income to just get the processor myself, so targeted upgrades will be the i5-2500 (the absolute maximum my motherboard can take as I don't feel like shelling out for a new motherboard) and the GTX 960 (apparently that's also about the limit my motherboard can take). The power supply I bought for my 650 GTX 3 years ago should be able to cover the 960 based on what I've seen online (I think I got a 550W) This will most likely be my final upgrade to my tower, an Inspiron 620, and after that I'll just build a new machine from scratch.

According to benchmark vids, this is still enough to play Wolfenstein II on max settings so I should be good for quite some time. I just need "Good enough for my eyes" quality anyway, 60 FPS gets priority over hyperreal graphics.

EDIT: The guy got in touch with me and said he still wants me to do the favor for him in exchange for the processor. With that in mind, I'm instead going to ask him to get a new motherboard + 8 GB DDR4 memory, and I'm going to grab a 7th gen i5 and the GTX 960. What's the best 7th Gen i5 for casual modern gaming?
    Post edited by Psychoblue on
  • GreyFoxxGreyFoxx R.I.P Brother. Joined: Posts: 4,529
    Psychoblue wrote: »
    So, the guy who was getting me the processor actually got fired sometime in between when he accepted my terms for the processor and today. RIP.

But I pull in more than enough income to just get the processor myself, so targeted upgrades will be the i5-2500 (the absolute maximum my motherboard can take as I don't feel like shelling out for a new motherboard) and the GTX 960 (apparently that's also about the limit my motherboard can take). The power supply I bought for my 650 GTX 3 years ago should be able to cover the 960 based on what I've seen online (I think I got a 550W) This will most likely be my final upgrade to my tower, an Inspiron 620, and after that I'll just build a new machine from scratch.

According to benchmark vids, this is still enough to play Wolfenstein II on max settings so I should be good for quite some time. I just need "Good enough for my eyes" quality anyway, 60 FPS gets priority over hyperreal graphics.

EDIT: The guy got in touch with me and said he still wants me to do the favor for him in exchange for the processor. With that in mind, I'm instead going to ask him to get a new motherboard + 8 GB DDR4 memory, and I'm going to grab a 7th gen i5 and the GTX 960. What's the best 7th Gen i5 for casual modern gaming?

I'm rocking a 6500 I5 and a GTX 970 which still runs Witcher 3 on high settings with no issues. If you can score a 6600K or better you should be good unless anybody else has a better option. With all the BF deals and Cyber monday stuff you could run into some decent deals as well. Just had to reseat my second PC CPU last night since the cpu fan was hanging on by a thread. Been ages since i dabbled in the dark arts of thermal paste wizardy.
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,349
    cuphead on pc is f-ing up. I can't even watch the intro since it's always a blacked out screen.
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,454
    danomighty wrote: »
    cuphead on pc is f-ing up. I can't even watch the intro since it's always a blacked out screen.

You check the Steam forums about that? I've heard there have been some few problems here and there from some people.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    GreyFoxx wrote: »

I'm rocking a 6500 I5 and a GTX 970 which still runs Witcher 3 on high settings with no issues. If you can score a 6600K or better you should be good unless anybody else has a better option. With all the BF deals and Cyber monday stuff you could run into some decent deals as well. Just had to reseat my second PC CPU last night since the cpu fan was hanging on by a thread. Been ages since i dabbled in the dark arts of thermal paste wizardy.

There's a strong motherboard +i3 7500 combo that I'm eyeing that I'm going to ask the guy for. I'll grab the memory myself, and the 960 GTX is coming in used from someone who's getting a 1070 which will save me even more money.

This is really exciting.
  • AKIAKI R.E.L.A.X Joined: Posts: 915
    I'm trying to buy a 1070/1080(Ti) but prices are so fucked atm that I'll probably end up sitting it out until the next series. I would have sold you my 970 for dirt cheap.
    DMC3SE is the greatest video game in history - currently working on a PROJECT | UNI[st] Yuzuriha/Phonon | BBCF Izanami | TEKKEN Kasumi/Asuka | Rev.2 Jam | SFV Kolin | FAWK Marvel
    edited November 2017
    I have made the commitment to see this upgrade through to the end. I have just purchased the motherboard/i3 7300 combo and will be keeping eyes out for any good deals next week on 8GB Ripjaws DDR4 memory for the new board. The GTX 960 will be the terms of payment (whatever the seller is asking, the client will reimburse me for) for the task I will be doing for the client/now former co-worker. Figure I'm not going to kick the dude while he's down since he apparently left in a massive huff.

so, my new specs once everything comes in...

1 TB HDD
    1 TB Internal Hard Drive
    550-600W Power supply (when I bought my GTX 650 years ago I overshot the minimum settings on purpose so it should be enough to handle the 960 which apparently has very similar minimum wattage)
    i3-7300 processor
    8 GB Ripjaws DDR4 Memory
    ASRock H270M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    GeForce GTX 960 4GB

I'm so excited :D
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,473
    My local Micro Center just started their Black Friday promos, most startling deals are a Ryzen R7 1700X for $230 and an i7 7700k for $250. Crazy cheap on both accounts.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,349
    danomighty wrote: »

You check the Steam forums about that? I've heard there have been some few problems here and there from some people.

Already did and used search also. Only about 5 other ppl had this problem..

I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,670
    HP - OMEN by HP Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hard Drive - Brushed Aluminum
    $669.99
    Save $150
    Was $819.99

free Mixed Reality Headset and Controllers

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?ref=8575135
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 7,077
    meh deals
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,677
    I finally cave in and got a GTX 1080
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5F8MJK/

I want to do a RX Vega but with the prices the way they are and only Reference style coolers both being a No-go for me
    Unless I going to water cool a Graphics card, Fuck Reference cards

“Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Yeah, Vega 64 was a real let down. No reason to take it over a 1080 at current prices. Vega 56 at $400 rivals the 1070 very well, but I don't like blower style coolers either.

Alright.... so with an AMD FX-8350 (not even overclocked!) with a Corsair H100i closed loop cooler attached...

Why the fuck am I now getting CPU overheat issues?

Same environment as before (in fact due to crazy fall temps the room has been cooler on average).
    Fans are running fine at speeds they're supposed to.
    ALL fans in case are filtered and running at fine speed.
    Same with GPU.
    Case temps overall are fine EXCEPT for CPU whenever I now play a game or something

I mean, my machine has been doing emergency shutdowns on itself...the first time was last weekend after trying out Titanfall 2.
    Thought it was dust, so I dusted the shit out of all my fan filters, and made sure dust everywhere else was gone (hardly any within the case nor the fans against the radiator of the cooler...)
    Waited a while then turned everything back on and tried out a game. PC freezes up, so I shut down, wait a while (puzzled as hell) then turn it back on, and run AMD Overdrive to check temps. See the CPU temps are REALLY high.
    So take whole rig with me to work earlier this Thanksgiving week, checked out everything I could, downloaded HWMonitor and a new version of the Corsair LINK program to keep an eye on temperatures. Things seemed stable then after downloading the program and it helping manage my cooler more.
    Take it back home, things are fine for couple days after that, played more stuff...checked temps yesterday, however during a long game session and once again it was a LOT higher than it needs to be.
    Am now kinda in a rut.

All fans are spinning at their proper speeds, the Corsair LINK says the cooler pump is operating normally as well, all other temps in my case are fine. So what could be the damn issue? Is it the thermal paste that I need to replace or something? Cause I haven't had to do anything with that ever since I installed the processor itself only years back!
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,

• PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,473
    How's the coolant level? I'd check/replace that and the thermal paste first. If those don't fix it, you might want to consider an upgrade. Lots of stellar deals on R5 1600/1600x /, R7 1700, i5 7600k, and i7 7700k's right now. Any of those would be a big upgrade. But then again, you would also have to buy some DDR4, which is super expensive right now.

If money is tight and you can't get to the bottom of your problem, FX cpu's are being cleared out dirt cheap right now.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I finally cave in and got a GTX 1080
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5F8MJK/

I want to do a RX Vega but with the prices the way they are and only Reference style coolers both being a No-go for me
    Unless I going to water cool a Graphics card, Fuck Reference cards

That's a huge step up from a 380, have fun with it.
    @PresidentCamacho
    Okay...problem is, it's a closed loop retail bought water cooler, so the thing is sealed shut like crazy. AKA I got no real way of knowing how the coolant levels are in it.
    I'm again thinking it's just the paste or something, but shit like this is mind boggling.

...And while I do have the cash, getting new mobo and RAM is just gonna be a pure pain in the ass.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,

So with all of the new stuff I'm getting, should I jump at a new tower case too? The current plan is to keep what's useful inside my Inspiron 620 and stick all of the new shit in the existing tower, but as long as I"m buying new computer shit I'm wondering if I should look at that too or just leave things as is and save some money.
    @PresidentCamacho
    Okay...problem is, it's a closed loop retail bought water cooler, so the thing is sealed shut like crazy. AKA I got no real way of knowing how the coolant levels are in it.
    I'm again thinking it's just the paste or something, but shit like this is mind boggling.

...And while I do have the cash, getting new mobo and RAM is just gonna be a pure pain in the ass.

Just looked up your cooler, Corsair claims that it doesn't need coolant changes or refills. So try the thermal paste first, get something good like Tuniq TX-4.
    So with all of the new stuff I'm getting, should I jump at a new tower case too? The current plan is to keep what's useful inside my Inspiron 620 and stick all of the new shit in the existing tower, but as long as I"m buying new computer shit I'm wondering if I should look at that too or just leave things as is and save some money.

Nothing in your list there is known for running hot, and you won't be able to overclock that CPU , so your current case should be fine if everything fits.
    Reviews were crazy positive on that thermal past you told me about, so I went on and ordered that shit. Gonna be a long wait until Tuesday to get it in and see what happens.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,

Alright.... so with an AMD FX-8350 (not even overclocked!) with a Corsair H100i closed loop cooler attached...

Why the fuck am I now getting CPU overheat issues?

Same environment as before (in fact due to crazy fall temps the room has been cooler on average).
    Fans are running fine at speeds they're supposed to.
    ALL fans in case are filtered and running at fine speed.
    Same with GPU.
    Case temps overall are fine EXCEPT for CPU whenever I now play a game or something

Pump and Air Flow seems to be ruled out.
    A couple of other things I could think of that could be causing the issue:

Old, crusty thermal paste. Sometimes when thermal paste wears out, it solidifies and takes on the consistency of plastic.
    The heat plate of your liquid cooler might need to be re-seated. Overtime, you sometimes run into something called "chip creep" or "ram creep". Where components slightly nudge themselves out of place.
    The CPU could also be dying.

Would a CPU really start overheating if it was going out? Sounds a little out there...
    But I hope that ain't the case. Like I said, I ordered a new thermal paste, so just gotta play the waiting game until it arrives. Also got some of the cleaner to get rid of the old stuff.
    On laptop at the moment. Hardly anything is running on my desktop and the damn idle temps are fluctuating between the mid 20s and low 40s (in Celsius). That's just BS.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,

Would a CPU really start overheating if it was going out? Sounds a little out there...

It does happen, rarely. CPU failures themselves are pretty rare, baring any outside force(electrical problems, mishandling etc).

If this is a problem that just started happening and you didn't make any recent changes, I still think it might be a thermal paste issue or a heat sink misalignment. I know the AM3+ socket uses those metal hoops and plastic tabs to help lock down a heatsink. I've never liked those things. I feel like they are more likely to move around.

If new paste and a re-seating doesn't work, I would also try to rule out the corsair cooler. Do you have a stock AMD AM3+ fan? The fx8350 didn't always come with a stock fan. I know AMD eventually started pairing FX cpus with their Wraith coolers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file