Super Street Fighter II Turbo, in the house

Comments

• felinekifelineki Joined: Posts: 981
    There were already some strange (but non gameplay-affecting) things that can happen if an opponent almost gets KO'ed around when time runs out in the original arcade release, but I never heard about anything that serious. If it happens as infrequently as you say, it shouldn't be that big an issue, but it might be something to keep in mind when CCC2 ST gets used for tourneys.
    "The Hammer Bros. Suit was more broken than O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto put together." -specs

"I always thought that O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto were just aspects of the Hammer Bros. Suit, broken down in several pieces in order to keep the universe from breaking." -Wellman
  • GrahamGraham Joined: Posts: 571
    yeah recently i was playing my brother and he was kickign my ass this one game and he even got me dizzy in midair, thats when we both just busted out laughing, thats when you know you're getting your ass kicked hard.
  • psychochronicpsychochronic 5 fingers in a fist Joined: Posts: 1,854
    I want to ask something. What is contained in The History of X-Mania DVD? I'm interested in this but I wanna know what special matches/highlights it contains before I pick it.
    FGC Google Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z7moF_GAiTa4.kxWOHrLkpOgM
    Photobucket: http://www.tinyurl.com/p9eu67p
    Youtube: psychochronic, psychorarity
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    I have a friend who plays Chun-Li. I'm a Claw player.

What is each of our goals in this match up? What is Claw aiming for here, and what is Chun aiming for here? Please be as descriptive as possible and outline everything we both may need to know.
    Did you already read everything that's been posted so far? I know this question has come up before. One place to start is my old Japan log: http://nki.combovideos.com/ST/Japan.log.html
    (Search for the string "She has good answers".)

I would also try searching this thread. After you do that, watch a lot of tourney matches.

If you have a specific question that hasn't been answered, I'd be glad to help, but I don't have the time to sit around typing up pages of strats like I used to. :sad:
    Also, I'd like to know if anyone can help me with Claw VS Guile
    I'm sure this has been discussed as well, at the very least in my Japan log, and probably in this thread as well.

Again, if you wanna narrow it down, I'd be glad to help. If you're just looking for general strats, make sure you do your homework first and take the time to search (both threads and vids).
    NKI, could you provide some info about some switches?
    Well, the reason why I posted them here is because I don't know what those switches do or what they mean. :confused:
    by the way, from where did you get info about that switches?Even Akiba's page doesn't mention them....
    Toodles found out that all the switches are listed inside the Dreamcast version itself, but you have to use a hex editor to see them. (If it's possible to view them through the game itself, we don't know how to do it.)
    Strange glitches.
    Wow...I hope none of that craziness happens at Evo...:confused:
    I want to ask something. What is contained in The History of X-Mania DVD? I'm interested in this but I wanna know what special matches/highlights it contains before I pick it.
    It's basically a highlights reel of all the X-Manias. (Mostly just the finals.) It's all old footage, but still top-quality stuff.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213
    Nobody can answer my dictator question ?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Desk already answered it, nitwit.
    And I said that I tried it and that it didn't work. I was hoping someone would try too and tell me if it worked for them.

And what the hell was that insult for ? Next time refrain from replying to my posts if you're not going to do it respectfully.

Geez...
    nohoho - Be nice!
    ^^he held back to block and charge, opponent switched sides, he kept holding back (which was now forward) and pressed kick. Thus completing the motion for a scissor kick. It happens often when you use charge characters but most of the time it's just annoying.
    This is correct.

The only other thing to note is that it depends on the spacing. You must be about a step and a half away for it to work. (Depending on the spacing and your timing, you can even do the Scissor kicks the wrong way.)
    It was a fun ten years.

Thanks NKI, I'll try different spacings and timings then. AFAIK, it's only useful in a Dictator mirror match anyway so it's not that important :)

Edit : oh and thanks to the very intelligent anonymous person who negged me on my reply to nohoho for no valid reason.
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 466
    ccc2 ST doesn't feel arcade perfect. I'm thinking of obtaining a cps2 board and game.

Any of you have one for sale?
  • VPTVPT I give up... Joined: Posts: 765
    Couple of random questions:

1) Computer Chun did jump in crossup spinning bird on me. Is this possible by a human player?

2) I still can't seem to get jump in charge attacks such as Guile's jump in string into scissor kicks. Can somebody explain exactly how they go into charge after jumping and link into a move?

That's it for now...
  • CigarBoBCigarBoB Joined: Posts: 895
    NKI is Kuni still around? I really hope that he comes to EVO this year.
    anyone know where st comp is in the tokyo area? Not been living here long, I just seem to see tekken 5dr machine everywhere, ugh!
  • Grits'N'GravyGrits'N'Gravy I used to oicho throw people. Joined: Posts: 977
    afro legends - Boxer, DeeJay
    Mike Watson - Boxer, Ryu
    Jason Nelson - Guile
    Jumpsuit Jesse - Fei Long

...and several more who I can't remember because I haven't seen them in years...
    Replying to the guy looking for top American players:
    Also...

Cammy: Mike Creque (Masaka)
    N-Ken: Wes Truelson
    Bison: David Sirlin, Seth Killian (Also have good 'Rogs)
    Blanka: DSP, who also has good everybody else
    OGuile: Jeff Schaefer (Hella old, has matches on Youtube vs Daigo)
    T Hawk: Julien Beasley and I don't know who else (HELLA old)

Justin Wong also has a good Ryu/O.Sagat

Since I helped out: What are some combos w/ OG Ken? I've looked around these forums as well as the old agsf2 newsgroup and I can't seem to find a list.

I already know that I can do jHp x air Tatsu cHk as well as crossups with the jHK but I am looking for other practical decent combos, so that when I do get my dizzy I can put on the fatness. Also, is there any type of guide to his various traps and ranges? I think, without competition, it will be kind of hard to conceptualize. His traps seem to be great, but not as easy to setup as OG Ryu/New Ryu's or the old shoto traps.
    CFN: BatmanWithAGlock
    E. Honda is gone forever. 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just skimming the thread so if I missed it or if its been touched apon then ignore.....

-For the normal bullet id assume that means projectile shrug........

Also so was there never a answer as to why its harder to tiger knee backwards hurricane kick with ryu then others? Tiger kneeing foward works just as easily with ryu as ken and akuma. But with ryu randomly the game wont let you hurricane kick as tiger knee backwards for some reason shruggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.
  • KnightWarriorKnightWarrior Joined: Posts: 804
    Is the Xbox/PS2 version of ST on the CCC Vol. 2 Disk Arcade Perfect
    It has a few issues, but it's the closest port yet. Most of the issues don't affect gameplay (occasional sound glitches), but there are supposedly a few things that will (slowdown on certain stages).

And training mode is full of glitches. Someone recently shot some cell phone footage of Ken with Ryu in WW Guile-esque "handcuffs" in training mode. :confused:
    "The Hammer Bros. Suit was more broken than O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto put together." -specs

"I always thought that O. Sagat, AHVB, and CotA Magneto were just aspects of the Hammer Bros. Suit, broken down in several pieces in order to keep the universe from breaking." -Wellman
  • THChardcoreTHChardcore REALEST PERM! Joined: Posts: 631

Finally, arcade perfect ST :lovin:

volvo041.jpg
    Chuggin NOS and burning out.
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549
    awesome dude, nice job :clap: if you made it :looney:
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    Does T hawk have any good matchups at all? Ive started playing this game and can 360 off ticks all the time now and can stand 360 for the most part. It seems a lot of his game vs someone like dhalsim (and most of the cast) is jump straight up and down and hit fierce a lot, psychi dp, trade hits.

can NKI or anyone else who is knowledgable hook me up with some T. Hawk help?
    I dont think he has adv in any matchup... he might 5-5 w/ other low tiers...
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i think he has a slight advantage over ryu
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    Just wondering, are Zangief's green hand and Honda's super the only non-projectile moves in ST that can cancel out opponents' projectiles?

• N-TradeN-Trade Joined: Posts: 63
    and maybe Old Deejay's hyperfist does... not sure
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    Does T hawk have any good matchups at all? Ive started playing this game and can 360 off ticks all the time now and can stand 360 for the most part. It seems a lot of his game vs someone like dhalsim (and most of the cast) is jump straight up and down and hit fierce a lot, psychi dp, trade hits.

can NKI or anyone else who is knowledgable hook me up with some T. Hawk help?

IIRC, I think in one of NKI threads, NKI talks about how (ironically) T.Hawk does well agains Chun. Once he is in she can't get him off.

I'd try to search the 'NKI's Random Japan Log', or this thread for the info.
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
    Wow, I'm looking through the ASCII text in SSF2T's ROM... and there's lots of evidence of some kind of developers' test mode that would be an awesome source of info if it could be used.

Amidst all the text for the stuff you'll normally find in the game's service menu (for stuff like the sound test, game settings, etc.) there's a big block of text that includes things like: (parts in parentheses are my guesses at what they might mean)

OBJ TEST
    NORMAL
    EDIT
    CHR CTR
    CHR TYPE
    CHR DIR (Face left or right, I guess?)
    HEAD
    BODY
    FOOT (Might these last 3 be for vulnerability boxes? As I've noted earlier, characters always have high, middle, and low vulnerability boxes)
    ATCK (Attack hitbox?)
    BODY1 ("Push" box?)
    KAGE ("kage" is Japanese for "shadow", so might this be for which ground shadow sprite the character is supposed use for this frame?)
    ATCK DNo
    HIT TYPE (action the opponent takes upon being hit? i.e. knockdown or not, etc.)
    SD CODE
    ATCK EX
    ENEMY TEST

There's also text that appears to be for a more indepth sound test. It's possible that the code for these test modes isn't in the actual game and the text was left in anyway. However, if the code was still there, it would be awesome if someone with ROM hacking experience found a way to enable it.

I wonder if this is the stuff that the Yoga Book Hyper guys got to play around with? I envy them so. :sad:

• gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    As far as I know, hawk has 0 favorable matchups, but when he gets in on certain characters, its pretty much game over. Chars like chun, dhalsim, boxer, dictator, claw, etc etc.
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    As far as I know, hawk has 0 favorable matchups, but when he gets in on certain characters, its pretty much game over. Chars like chun, dhalsim, boxer, dictator, claw, etc etc.

well really if he can get a knockdown on any character in the corner then he can win for free assuming he doesnt mess up. i'm not sure what makes you list those chars specifically though, except for sim and dictator.
    Sorry I been MIA for a while...:sad:
    1) Computer Chun did jump in crossup spinning bird on me. Is this possible by a human player?
    Maybe if you jump off the wall to get extra height, you might have enough time to charge, but other than that, I don't think it would be possible. Especially not off just a standard jump-in.
    2) I still can't seem to get jump in charge attacks such as Guile's jump in string into scissor kicks. Can somebody explain exactly how they go into charge after jumping and link into a move?
    There isn't a trick to it...you just have to start charging immediately after you hit up/towards. Also, if I remember correctly, you can link Guile's flash kick after cr.Short and cr.Strong, so that will give you plenty of time to charge.
    NKI is Kuni still around? I really hope that he comes to EVO this year.
    I haven't seen that fool in ages. As far as I know, he's not coming to Evo.
    anyone know where st comp is in the tokyo area? Not been living here long, I just seem to see tekken 5dr machine everywhere, ugh!
    MORE or Mikado, both of which are in your own stompin' grounds (Shinjuku). You can walk from one to the other in about 5 minutes.
    What are some combos w/ OG Ken? I've looked around these forums as well as the old agsf2 newsgroup and I can't seem to find a list.
    He doesn't really have any amazing combos. Against most characters, simple stuff like [j.Fierce, cr.Short xx Jab DP] is all you need. But against Sim or Gief or other wide characters, you'd probably wanna do something like cross-up j.RH, st.Fierce xx Fierce DP.

Also, [cr.Strong, cr.RH] is a useful link.
    Also, is there any type of guide to his various traps and ranges? I think, without competition, it will be kind of hard to conceptualize. His traps seem to be great, but not as easy to setup as OG Ryu/New Ryu's or the old shoto traps.
    Hrm? I'm not sure his fireball traps are that much different from O.Ryu's or N.Ryu's. It's just that O.Ken recovers faster from the fireballs, and his DP has more invincibility. The basic trap is still the same.
    Also so was there never a answer as to why its harder to tiger knee backwards hurricane kick with ryu then others?
    I'm going to assume the command for Ryu's backwards air HK was just programmed differently. Ken must have a bigger window to input the command or something.
    Does T hawk have any good matchups at all?
    Hawk actually does well against Ryu, Ken, and Chun.
    Just wondering, are Zangief's green hand and Honda's super the only non-projectile moves in ST that can cancel out opponents' projectiles?
    I can't think of any others. O.DeeJay's Machine Gun Upper is invincible, but it does not cancel fireballs.

Man, that would be NUTS if there is actually a debug mode in the arcade version. Good work so far on uncovering that info! :tup:
    It was a fun ten years.

• Master BigodeMaster Bigode Touhoufag Joined: Posts: 879

Man, that would be NUTS if there is actually a test mode in the arcade version. Good work so far on uncovering that info! :tup:

Like this ?
    0001-3.png
    ^Cool story bro.
    :tup:
    /▌____
    / \
    http://www.touhouwiki.net
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    How come when I use boxer on 1p side, I grab them with a strong headbutt, walk under them while holding right, I can't just immediately use a dash, shouldn't holding right when walking under them charge for a dash?

I want to Walk forward tick mk, headbutt (walk underneath them and keep holding right), cr. mp> dash, but it doesn't work...
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    No, it won't work because you only charge while holding back. So while walking forward, it doesn't count as you holding any direction at all. So nothing charges. When you get under the character, the game finally registers you holding back, so charging starts. Charging isn't measured by how long you hold left or right, it's only back.

- James
    http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
    Like this ?
    0001-3.png
    The theoretical debug mode that I was talking about would probably be accessed through that menu (the text for it was stored in the same place as the text for that menu), but you can't access it under normal circumstances (if it's even actually still there).

My guess is that the debug mode could either be accessed by pressing some codes on the joysticks & buttons at the test screen similar to CPS1 or maybe by enabling some jumpers on the A or B CPS2 boards. There's 27 jumpers IIRC on the B board and they haven't been documented as far as I know.
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    No, it won't work because you only charge while holding back. So while walking forward, it doesn't count as you holding any direction at all. So nothing charges. When you get under the character, the game finally registers you holding back, so charging starts. Charging isn't measured by how long you hold left or right, it's only back.

- James
    I don't know about this. With Honda, when you fierce grab the opponent, you can press toward the whole time, walk under the opponent, press down short, and then headbutt, and the headbutt will combo. Without the holding toward while grabbing and then continuing that direction to walk under, that is if you just stay on one side and hold back for the same period of time it would otherwise take Honda to walk under the opponent and be on the new side, you don't get enough charge time for the headbutt. This makes me think that the walk-under portion actually does count toward the charge time.

Maybe the reason this works with the headbutt but not Boxer's dash punch is because the headbutt doesn't require as much charge time. Thoughts?
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
    Like this ?
    Sorry, I meant DEBUG mode...not test mode. :looney:
    It was a fun ten years.

• zasszass Da 'Mizer Joined: Posts: 1,122
    Maybe the reason this works with the headbutt but not Boxer's dash punch is because the headbutt doesn't require as much charge time. Thoughts?

That could be it. Boxer can definitely throw, then walk under, then low forward, low strong, dash for a 3 hit combo. The only different I see with your honda example (which I didn't know was possible) is the charge time.
    Taking shit back to the RESERVOIR
    http://tea-hawk.blogspot.com

SF2 Code v1.0: t+ c+ T+ r+(-) f g+ m+ s+ v+ M+(-) n+:++ o+ (av by Tat Guy)
    http://web.archive.org/web/19970219205915/hannibal.mit.edu/things/sf2/sf2code.txt
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    Got a couple Dhalsim questions:

1. If I dizzy someone in the corner(and they have more than a throw's worth of life left), am I better off going for a techable/shakable throw/noogie, or a flame, perhaps initiating that cool flame trap? Are there any characters I should NOT attempt that flame trap against, even from a proper distance?

2. Oddly enough I'm having trouble anti airing with the back-jab chop(laugh at me, i deserve it). I do fine with the back strong, but I think I'm clueless about the timing on what Im trying to accomplish with the jab chop.. do i want to do it early or late? Any characters it shuts down particularly well, or is particularly useless against?

3. After a noogie, is short or forward slide better than the other for re-noogie shenanigans? They both seems to work ok, but maybe my opponents arent punishing. <shrug>

Thanks! I'm lovin Dhally, but definitely need some matchups 101
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
    On point 3: I always thought it was MK slide for the tick.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i use old sim time to time and i always use c.lk because the slide always comes out no matter at what distance.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see