Utah Thread: Not everyone is Mormon......just the majority

Comments

• HadoukenMDHadoukenMD Dokta Joined: Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2014
    Hey guys,

Tomorrow Renzo and Gustavo are playing the Online Pandax SF4 tourney. They will be playing from my house. Come over to watch or for CASUALS. Starts at 1 pm sharp. http://pandaxgaming.com/events/pxg-online/

Also, I hear ALOT of ppl are going to SCR. Hit me up about your travel plans.

had

PS Gustavo fucking post this on facebook.
  • KonqrrKonqrr My wand is ready... Zatanna. Joined: Posts: 1,135
    Renzo is #41 in the world rankings for SF4... congrats man and belated Happy Birthday.

http://rank.shoryuken.com/
    Injustice - Killer Frost, Zatanna, Hawkgirl; MK9 - Kitana, Kabal; KI - Orchid, Spinal
    SC - Ivy; AE - Chun Li, Balrog, Cammy; TTT2 - Nina, Baek, Jun
  • ermac2ermac2 Joined: Posts: 1,020
    With Ultra coming out in a few months, it would be nice to start having a monthly tournament again. AE, Injustice, Marvel and KI????
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    I agree with josh its been toooooooooooo long since we had a tournament and having only salt fest as a tournament seems like bullshit to me.
  • ONealskeyONealskey you'll never survive in the jungle Joined: Posts: 94
    I agree tournaments are fun and great practice. Let's pick a date and make one happen.
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 258
    That gathering at the college 4 months back looked like fun.
    Just a hero for fun
  • SaikoXeonSaikoXeon Stardust Crusader Joined: Posts: 266
    If you guys start doing gatherings would you mind if the anime crew tagged along? We'll bring all our own set ups and what not. We'd just like to share space and maybe introduce people to BB and what not.
    Hold onto the night, there will be no shame.
    What we are all one scene. Fighting games. Our scene is small to begin with to not allow people in because of different games would be dumb. John of course bring your crew and bring chronophantasma too
  • wangstonwangston Joined: Posts: 18
    Anyone on here still play SF4 on xblive?

my gamertage is GlitzyLyric15

I've played a few times with Utahbowser and would love to play with more of you guys. I'm located in provo and I would go to the weeklies but my school schedule runs late and I don't have a car.
  • SaikoXeonSaikoXeon Stardust Crusader Joined: Posts: 266
    Yenjoi wrote: »
    What we are all one scene. Fighting games. Our scene is small to begin with to not allow people in because of different games would be dumb. John of course bring your crew and bring chronophantasma too

Gladly, just give us a few weeks in advance in terms of notice and we can make it happen.

Hold onto the night, there will be no shame.
  • DanaTorpDanaTorp Torpedo98 Joined: Posts: 588
    Hey, GlitzyLyric15, I'm in Provo, too. We've got a few others around here, and we usually have casuals on Wed/Thurs at an apartment in the Branbury Apts. If you want to get in on that, that'd be cool. My XBL gamertag is photonTorp3d0.

Next bit of news...Renzo, Gus, and Steven made it into top 32 at SCR for SF4AE. Renzo is in winners, Gus and Steven are in losers. Having 3 people from Utah in top 32 should make us all proud. Utah, people. That's about 10%...even math can't hide the awesome. Great job! Be sure to watch them tear it up on Sunday.

Also, there was a charity fundraiser tournament on Saturday (yesterday) at Epic Puzzles and Games in West Valley. About 8 showed on short notice, and a good time was had by all. Mario (Viper) took 1st, Dana (Rose, T.Hawk) took 2nd, and Luis (Cammy) took 3rd. Top 3 got passes to the FanX convention happening later this year. Thomas Winkley hosted a good tournament. Others that were there were Casey, Trevor O'Neal, James, David, Mario's friend Andy, and Mark Means. Hanging out and playing SF again, both casuals and tournament, felt great. I met some good people, and everyone was excited to get together and want more in the future.
    The Game Grid Arcade on FB: SF4 AE arcade machine came to West Valley Utah! (lol)
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    I know I talk a big game, but I still need to have people over for casuals some time..
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    That'd be tight. Show off those sweet cabs and SNES jamma setup!
    The Game Grid Arcade on FB: SF4 AE arcade machine came to West Valley Utah! (lol)
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    DanaTorp wrote: »
    That'd be tight. Show off those sweet cabs and SNES jamma setup!
    We'll get the poor man's Killer Instinct going on! Speaking of which, I should really finish that thing up :P
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    I'll be there lemme know when!
    Just a hero for fun
    edited March 2014
    I want to help getting tournaments back up at least until salt fest happens which is may 17 and 18th I think.
    Im willing to put in my own money as a pot bonus for participation for street fighter and marvel. Again I'll help run them or whatever help is neccessary because Andy is a busy guy and he has other important things to do
    but It makes me sad to see that our scene is sorta shitty right now. We have players and we have players that want to play we also have motive but not what we need and thats at least a couple tournaments for rivalries and just practicing the game we like to play.
    So for 0-10 people 10 bucks
    11-20 people 20 bucks
    21-30 people 40 bucks
    Any thing more than 40 people ill put in 50 bucks again from my own pocket. I hope this sparks some interest in some people
    I feel like I should talk about this here before even mentioning a peep in that Facebook groupe
    Im down to help if I can I want to level up and enjoy tournaments.
    All the people that showed up to the Epic Puzzles and Games tournament last Saturday had a good time. I had a good time. Seems like I heard people wanting to start things up again, which would be great. The iron of competitive play is heating up.

Lately, we've been toying around with the idea to have a tournament here in Provo/Orem. Would people travel this far south? Are there people with monitors, systems, and games that would be able to contribute? Or does someone from Salt Lake Valley need to commence with the festivities?
  • SlinkunSlinkun s.hp's your face! Joined: Posts: 1,143
    Gentlemen...

Utah's 1st ranbat of 2014 has been scheduled!
    March 22nd @ 4pm
    Place: Salt Lake City
    Venue: TBA
    More info: The facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/196049393740541/
    In Salt Lake City? PM me if you think your rad in 3rd strike, SFIV, MvC3 or CvS2. Looking for some good competition!

Currently sponsored by the Seraphim Organization! Check out our site at: http://shdfate.wix.com/seraphimorg#
    edited March 2014
    The UTSF blog is dusted off and has an interview with Steven Malecki about his experiences and preparation for SCR 2014. Go check it out.

http://utahstreetfighters.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Part 2 of that article is now on the site as well. Now with pictures!!!
    Post edited by DanaTorp on
    edited March 2014
    (removed old ranbat post so as not to confuse it with the updated one below...which people need to attend!!!! :) )
    Post edited by DanaTorp on
    Just finished finalizing everything.

Come and join Utah's finest at the first Utah Ranbat of 2014! Please read the rules and details below:

Main games played will be Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012, and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Both brackets will be run double elimination style. Both games will be run on Xbox 360.

We will be hosting at Kafeneio at 258 West 3300 South, Salt Lake City, 84115. NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS WILL BE ALLOWED AT THIS VENUE! The venue fee will be $5 per person, and an additional $5 per game you are entering. All money received will be going to the venue and the pots. Winnings are split 70/20/10 between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

We will also be tallying points for those entering the tournament. First place will get a total amount of points equal to the total number of entrants. Each subsequent place will get 70% of those points, rounded up. We will post a progression at the end of each ranbat of everyone's ranking.

We will start setting up at noon and run casuals. During this time, we will also be doing sign-ups for the tournament. UMvC3 will start at 4pm and SF4 will start at 5pm. If you are late, we will do what we can to fit you in the brackets, but nothing is guaranteed if you do choose to show up late.

SF4 will be run tournament standard 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches, with 99 seconds on the clock. Once a match is lost, the loser may choose to counter-pick, and the winner may change his/her ultra, but not their character. Top 3 will be run 3/5 for winners, losers, and grand finals.

UMvC3 will be run tournament standard best of 3. Once a match is lost, the loser may choose to counter-pick a new team, and the winner may change their assists, but not their team.

Guy Connor Lester will be running the stream.

If you would like to run your own side tournament, then feel free. Just keep in mind that it will be your responsibility to do so and we may not be able to divert setups if the main tournament is still going on. If there is a big enough interest in your side tournament we may add it as a main event next Ranbat!

Most importantly, let's show up and have a good time! Get bodied!
    In Salt Lake City? PM me if you think your rad in 3rd strike, SFIV, MvC3 or CvS2. Looking for some good competition!

Currently sponsored by the Seraphim Organization! Check out our site at: http://shdfate.wix.com/seraphimorg#
    I'll be there!!!
    Just a hero for fun
    We're trying to resurrect the Utah FGC Players List again. It's a list where people can put names and gamertags to faces and cities so we know who is where and how many there are. Here's a link to the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArpPRLGAjQWgdFpvQVlQOXY1RHNmbHlwQ3ItSDFlbmc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Anyone can add to it, so add away! Let's see who we have left in Utah that wants to play fighting games. :)
    If you want to read about the recent ranbat you missed (or attended), here you go.

http://utahstreetfighters.blogspot.com/2014/03/gsr1-writeup-outsiders-and-old-timers.html
    Just a heads up for those who couldn't make it out and aren't a part of the facebook group.

The Ranbat went great! We plan on doing these things on a monthly basis, so stay tuned!

DanaTorp wrote: »
    We're trying to resurrect the Utah FGC Players List again. It's a list where people can put names and gamertags to faces and cities so we know who is where and how many there are. Here's a link to the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArpPRLGAjQWgdFpvQVlQOXY1RHNmbHlwQ3ItSDFlbmc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Anyone can add to it, so add away! Let's see who we have left in Utah that wants to play fighting games. :)

I added my info (again) and a column for what games you play (ie: your main games)

Sorry I missed, my two jobs don't agree with free time lol
    Injustice - Killer Frost, Zatanna, Hawkgirl; MK9 - Kitana, Kabal; KI - Orchid, Spinal
    Two jobs? Dang. Tooele becoming as expensive as Tokyo.

Come out to the next one, then. I need my twin around. :) Otherwise, I'm practically the oldest one there!

And the games played column IS a good idea. Thanks for adding that.
    See, my wife gives me shit for playing at 37 and asked when she can expect me to stop. I made up a bs answer "40" we'll revisit it then I guess...
    Just a hero for fun
    My wife didn't give me grief about SF per se, but how I responded to it and how I let it affect my life, and she was right to do it. Rage, staying up too late, just generally making it more of a priority than it needed to be. Hopefully at this point, after all that, I've learned a few things. Time will tell.

Yeah, I'm 35 going on 36 and I hope I'm still involved when I'm 40. Maybe there will eventually be a Senior Tour for old SF players. There's enough OG's around in Utah, for sure.
    jpenguin77 wrote: »
    See, my wife gives me shit for playing at 37 and asked when she can expect me to stop. I made up a bs answer "40" we'll revisit it then I guess...
    lol it's never good to lie to your wife... I told mine that I'd die with a controller in my hand.

Like old times, shoutouts to Steven, Yury, Andy, and to anyone else who helped with time, effort, and equipment to make the first Great Salt Ranbat a success last Saturday. It takes a few stepping up for the needs of the many. Spock-mentality ftw.

Also, to everyone that I talked to, interviewed, and badgered into talking into my phone recorder, my personal thanks. I hope to turn the interviews and information into good copy for the blog. Maybe it'll help some more people believe in what we have going on around Utah.

And to Kafeneio. Of course, we paid for the venue with fees and whatnot, but the tournament ran late and they were gracious to let us continue.

Props to the news guys that came and competed, and to those that only came and spectated. Keep coming.

To those that didn't come, for whatever reason, you missed out. You know that. But there will be more. And the competition is better than before.

Wake up Peoples!!!
    Ok Ladies and Gents, Lemony Vengeance and JPenguin (Joey) here to announce our partnership to bring modding and parts to Salt Fest!
    We have been given the green light by Lucas to have a booth and Focus Attack - Street Fighter & Fighting Game Store to be their official booth at the event! We have been given the okays but would like your input as it will tip the scales on whether it will be set up or not. We will feature the latest and best arcade mod gear as well as some other FGC items. That's where we need your help. Please let us know what you want to find at this booth and if we get enough hits for this item we'll get that for sale on the table and if we do the table at all. Jaleel (Focus Attack Final Boss) was excited to become an official SaltFest sponsor and would like to do this booth with all of your support. Thank you in advance!
    Just a hero for fun

We need input, PEEP-HOLES! What'chu want??
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    GENTLEMEN!!! As usual, if you haven't checked it out already please take a gander at the facebook page for up-to-date information. https://www.facebook.com/groups/196049393740541/

Come and join Utah's finest at the second Utah Ranbat of 2014! Please read the rules and details below:

Main games played will be Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012, and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Both brackets will be run double elimination style. Both games will be run on Xbox 360.

We will be hosting at Kafeneio in Salt Lake City. NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS WILL BE ALLOWED AT THIS VENUE! The venue fee will be $5 per person, and an additional $5 per game you are entering. All money received will be going to the venue and the pots. Winnings are split 70/20/10 between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

We will also be tallying points for those entering the tournament. First place will get a total amount of points equal to the total number of entrants. Each subsequent place will get 70% of those points, rounded up. We will post a progression at the end of each ranbat of everyone's ranking.

We will start setting up at around 1pm and run casuals. During this time, we will also be doing sign-ups for the tournament. UMvC3 will start at 2:30pm and SF4 will start at 4:00pm. If you are late, we will do what we can to fit you in the brackets, but nothing is guaranteed if you do choose to show up late.

SF4 will be run tournament standard 2/3 rounds, 2/3 matches, with 99 seconds on the clock. Once a match is lost, the loser may choose to counter-pick, and the winner may change his/her ultra, but not their character. Top 3 will be run 3/5 for winners, losers, and grand finals.

UMvC3 will be run tournament standard best of 3. Once a match is lost, the loser may choose to counter-pick a new team, and the winner may change their assists, but not their team.

If you would like to run your own side tournament, then feel free. Just keep in mind that it will be your responsibility to do so and we may not be able to divert setups if the main tournament is still going on. If there is a big enough interest in your side tournament we may add it as a main event next Ranbat!

Most importantly, let's show up and have a good time! Get bodied!

• r3dd09r3dd09 Joined: Posts: 181
    The 801 boys are doing pretty good in the PxG Online Championships. Be sure to watch here.
  • ContactKilla441ContactKilla441 Joined: Posts: 11
    Looking to buy a stick. Mine broke after 4 years. Well I broke it. Hit me up asap tho
    How much you lookin to spend and what systems you want it to run on?
    Just a hero for fun
    An entire arcade stick or just a new jlf?
  • ContactKilla441ContactKilla441 Joined: Posts: 11
    edited April 2014
    entire stick. doesnt need to be fancy. throw prices at me. I used to just use a madcatz with sanwas
    Mmm yes makes sense
    How is your stock broken? What's wrong with it? I might be able to fix it
    If you can't you could sell it's case. I know @Lemony Vengeance‌ is looking for one
    Just a hero for fun
    :D I think Yury and I have worked something out, but elaborate on how broken it is and I'll see if I can work my voodoo to get it working.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • The UltimateThe Ultimate AKA Command-Thrower Joined: Posts: 763
    Greetings, folks! Your loving uncle Ultimate here. I wasn't going to post this until I have some solid info, but I figure I'll post now and drum up interest early:

So, Salt Fest is in a little over one week from now. Last year, I tried to host a side tournament for Injustice, but it got turned into a main tournament game. This year, I'm attempting to host another side tournament; this time for Killer Instinct on X-Box One. It's currently not a main tournament game, and I don't think it will be.

Anyhow, here is what I'm looking at right now: a side tournament with free entry, I'll be putting down $100 dollars of my money for the pot. Top 3 gets paid. 1st gets $50, 2nd gets $30 and 3rd gets $20. With free entry, you've got nothing to lose. This time, I'll make sure to give out the money personally to you; I'll 360 it right in your hands! The tourney will be double elimination. So far, I'll just have my setup. I'll provide two X-Box One controllers, if you have a modded stick, go ahead and bring it for use.

I'm waiting to see what the folks behind Salt Fest have to say. They were cool with the idea of me hosting a side tournament last year, so this year will probably be A-OK. Still, that's my plan for this year's Salt Fest. I'll post again when I have more information. Until then~
    The Ultimate
    Low tier and loving it~!
    Good word in from the Final Boss Himself!
    jmanDMC wrote: »
    I'm also supporting the gang in Utah this weekend via SaltFest 2014

10356363_837948932885174_4226736412896969642_n.jpg

Use SALTFEST coupon code to score 10% off storewide this weekend. If you're attending, drop by table 801 Mods as they rep FA with both merch and professional mod services. You can also get a coupon code from them that's active all of June.

Thanks!
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • gavacho13gavacho13 Joined: Posts: 28
    Had a fun time at Salt Fest yesterday! A few quick thoughts:

- I appreciate the good guys we have in our local FGC. I got bodied in Street Fighter (0-2, didn't even win one stinking round), but the last guy I played was really helpful and gave me good advice on how to better my game.

- Had a great time hanging out with my brother and playing random games with random people on my Poverty Station 3. Especially enjoyed playing Divekick with my new buddy Viet.

- Personally I really liked Chris Rager. I thought he was a much funnier (and to be honest, classier) guest than DC Douglas from last year.

- I love how the artist tables were integrated right into the main stage area. I think this was a big improvement over the first day of Salt Fest last year when the art tables were in a completely different section. However, to be honest, I actually made a small profit last year selling art, and this year I hardly sold anything. Partially on me for only selling one day, but I don't think it was just me, it seemed like there was very little interest in the artist section of the event in general. Kinda depressing.

- REALLY missed having Justin Wong, Jebailey, and Samurai at our tourney. Last year, watching Gus beat Justin was the highlight of the event for me. This year there were still a lot of great matches (I particularly loved watching Andy do so well with his Chun), but it wasn't nearly as hype as last year. Counting my brother and I, I think there were literally like 6 guys who stuck around to watch top 4.
  • HadoukenMDHadoukenMD Dokta Joined: Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    *ANNOUNCEMENT*

1. Final Utah AE 2012 tournament before Ultra arrives.
    2. Date: 5/31/14. Casuals at 12:00. Marvel at 2 pm. SF4 4:30 pm. We will be done by 6:30 pm.
    3. Entry: 5 dollars per game. NO VENUE FEE.
    4. Place: Kafeneio. HOWEVER, THIS WILL BE IN THE BACK ROOM. NO SMASH PLAYERS NO BRONIES NO WORRIES. JUST FGC.
    5. Special Grudge Match at 3:30 pm. I have two ppl in mind. First to 7. Please Roy players do not even ask to be in this shit. Winner will receive a New Dual Modded Stick.
    6. Please spread the news guys. I want to see the old and new guard. I will make a special bracket to make sure this tourney is legit. I want to see Ogden, Provo, SLC, the Asians, the Polynesians, the old dudes, and the new dudes there. Dana, Kelly, Brian, The Glove, TL, Erlanter, the two huge Polynesian guys, Nico, Chase (flexyoface), the Bleyls, Andrew, Hully (aka Jay Rich).
    7. Yuri and Steven will both be helping me run this tourney. Please show appreciation to them.
    8. Also, I'll order pizza if this place lets me.

had

PS. Do not copy this part Yuri. I will be changing careers. This will be the last HadoukenMD tourney for at least a year if not more. It's been fun guys. Enjoy Ultra and level up. Gus and Renzo may always come in top 2, but they always tell me how much more enjoyable the days of 2009 was when top 8 was unforeseeable.
    Shit man. It sad to almost see someone leave the scene completely especially Andy. No lie he is one of the reasons why I want to get better. Such a nice guy, granted its the fgc we all talk shit as much as the next guy. Until you've been at a major the same time as him you have not truly had fun. Because of him I met with excellent players. Like xsk samurai, Air, kineda, jaycee the ace, shit even Gus and Renzo you couldn't believe the look on my face I was like hold up that's mother fucking 801 strider. I remember the first time I saw Renzo we played a match on the AE machine at game grid where he fucked me up with yun. Time flies. Remember when I first showed up in the scene before I was just some online vanilla mvc3 dude, ive been playing since mvc2 came out when I was 6. I came Into the scene around December of 2011 so its been a while for me. Still play marvel every chance I get, and even took my first marvel Ranbat last month it felt amazing. I remember when I was losing to gork and Thomas in marvel made me want to quit the game, but still stuck with it now I am glad to help others get better. Just seeing that The dokta will be absent makes me want to reflect how things have changed and I've changed as a player. I Host the marvel ranbats currently that's a huge change haha.

So while the Dokta himself may not hold a tournament. Best believe I will keep doing them for both games Marvel and Street Fighter with the help of Steven. Tournaments Will not stop I wont have that happen. So we will always have a monthly ranbat :)
    Sadly, I have a prior commitment on the 31st and will not be able to attend. Sad to see you go Andy, I wish you all the best.