Utah Thread: Not everyone is Mormon......just the majority

1179180181182183185»

Comments

• EMPTriforce_Utah_RepEMPTriforce_Utah_Rep Joined: Posts: 1
    ALL HAIL THE ARRIVAL OF THE GLORIOUS NIGHTS OR ARCADIA!
    *trumpets blaring the make all lesser beings aware of the entrance of Glorious Leader*

Ahem, i am the representative of the Messiah of Arcadia himself, Triforce. And have been tasked with delivering unto him the most able bodied and talented warriors of the banks of the lake of Salt.
    What i am telling you farm hands, and prairie folk is that The Chosen One himself, has extended the reach of his nintendo brand (official, not some cheap chinese knock off) power glove over the great mountains of your state, and is offering YOU the opportunity of a lifetime.
    A chance to prove yourself as an Elite in his Greatness's Army for only 9 easy payments of 99.99.
    I will have my presence known at all future locals (not physically.... because plane fair is expensive... i can't even get a token for the subway home... shit is crazy.) and will be regularly recruiting you with the chance of a lifetime!
    THE FUTURE IS NOW!
    LONG LIVE TRIFORCE!
    LONG. LIVE. NINTENDO.
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    ^^^^^ WHO THE FUCK US THIS FUCKING GUY?!

Anyways for those if ant who follow this thread anymore casuals at Andy's today most people here are OGs so I don't have to give you the address you know where it is so let's go
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 258
    I wish I could go. Let Andy know his stick is almost ready. We had to wait on parts but @Lemony Vengeance‌ is getting it done.
    Just a hero for fun
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Stick is done, just sorting the player LEDs. Yard work trumps modding though.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • SlinkunSlinkun s.hp's your face! Joined: Posts: 1,143
    I always forget to post in the thread...

RANBAT THIS SATURDAY!!! (JUNE 21!)

FREE PIZZA!!!

UNIVERSITY OF UTAH!

UNION BUILDING!

IN THE DEN!

10AM - 10PM!!!

CAPITAL LETTERS!

EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!

!!!!!!!!11!!1one!!!
    In Salt Lake City? PM me if you think your rad in 3rd strike, SFIV, MvC3 or CvS2. Looking for some good competition!

Currently sponsored by the Seraphim Organization! Check out our site at: http://shdfate.wix.com/seraphimorg#
  • RazorRazor razorsuKe Joined: Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    In regards to the casual meet tonight, someone pls bring that marvel setup! :)

• Greatdane801Greatdane801 Joined: Posts: 1
    Game Gear is launching a new e-sports line and were looking to sponsor locals with jerseys if you're going to to any major nationals. Were located out in magna and would love to meet with anyone who is interested. You can go to https://gofullgear.com/ to find our contact info and apply.
    Game Gear is launching a new e-sports line and were looking to sponsor locals with jerseys if you're going to to any major nationals. Were located out in magna and would love to meet with anyone who is interested. You can go to https://gofullgear.com/ to find our contact info and apply.

hey man this is actually Yury Here this is my gamertag name yenjoi :smile: didnt know you posted here as well. this is very good for our scene and can not wait to meet up with you guys tomorrow

also just in case is there any lurkers out there who check this thread but dont see any activity and think that our scene is no more?

if so please make a post. it only helps us find out who you are and potentially get you out to some of our events

We have weekly yes weekly get togethers for casuals. the casuals are from 5-11 and is in west jordan. if you are interested pm me and i will for sure let you know how to get there. its every Wednesday we have a regular attendance and we all level up slowly but surely
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Ya'll know me, still the same OG, just been low key.

Spent the last month relaxing and working on my KI skills. It'd be nice if more than Jet and I played it locally. I know, console exclusive, price prohibitive and what not. Gotta make it out to casuals with setups for exposure honestly.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • MuT3SiL3Nc3MuT3SiL3Nc3 Joined: Posts: 625
    I still check here about every two weeks yj.
    Did give up on SFIV, BUT I am excited for some next gen fighters.
    Anyone on PSN can add me @‌ eight0ne-MuT3
    I will be playing MKX and T7, or really any fighter that comes out.
    See you guys in the future. L
    Playin' piano! Rawr!
  • NeurotraceNeurotrace That one Guy Joined: Posts: 14
    edited September 2014
    Hey, hey anyone in the Orem area down for some USFIV? Trying to get into the local scene around here. I'm also online for a bit most nights. Still pretty scrubby but ready to get my ass kicked ;)
    XBL: Neurotrace90
    Neurotrace wrote: »
    Hey, hey anyone in the Orem area down for some USFIV? Trying to get into the local scene around here. I'm also on for a bit most nights. Still pretty scrubby but ready to get my ass kicked ;)
    XBL: Neurotrace

Awesome this is exactly the type of post I was looking to get. Hello sir and welcome. I will add you later tomorrow we can play some games maybe. The tag will be geevarii or something like that. Its my friends account I play on. The usf4 scene is actually pretty big here I'm not sure about Orem however most of our scene is located here in salt lake city where its also steven and I host the local tournaments :)

Hope to hear more about you sir
  • NeurotraceNeurotrace That one Guy Joined: Posts: 14
    Right on! I can totally head up to SLC for a tournament (I've actually been trying to find one to compete in next month).
    Sorry I forget to post here. Hey man there is
    A totournament this Saturday we hold them up at the U. I will add you tomorrow and if you have a mic we can discuss this more
    Sorry I forget to post here. Hey man there is
    A totournament this Saturday we hold them up at the U. I will add you tomorrow and if you have a mic we can discuss this more
    That is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. I hope to continue to learn your skills through time.
    Just a hero for fun
  • twofacedjokatwofacedjoka Joined: Posts: 3
    So i just got back from my mission and i used to play Street fighter a lot. Now im terrible but i want to get into the local scene. I live in Provo right now but im down to travel to most places. I played a lot MK9 and SSF4. I dont have an xbox anymore at the moment and i got USF4 for the PC but the online really sucks so hence me trying to find some people to play with. Hit me up with anything thank you :D
    Join our 801 FGC steam community
    Just a hero for fun
    So i just got back from my mission and i used to play Street fighter a lot. Now im terrible but i want to get into the local scene. I live in Provo right now but im down to travel to most places. I played a lot MK9 and SSF4. I dont have an xbox anymore at the moment and i got USF4 for the PC but the online really sucks so hence me trying to find some people to play with. Hit me up with anything thank you :D

join the FB group mang:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196049393740541/
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • wallrog17wallrog17 Wallrog Joined: Posts: 197
    Very well put together documentary. I've been out of the scene for about 2 years. Wish I could help reopen Ogden casuals just really difficult with the new one, just curious what has transpired since then, as far as the influx of players.
  • HadoukenMDHadoukenMD Dokta Joined: Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Walrog,

Seems like the community usually posts on facebook these days. The link is right above your post. Hope things are well man.

had
    Again if there is anyone browsing on this thread and potentially is new or maybe is just out of the loop.

Yes we are still active!
  • ONealskeyONealskey you'll never survive in the jungle Joined: Posts: 94
    WHAAAA THIS IS STILL ALIVE!!!!?
  • MetalMetal Joined: Posts: 1
    Looking for players in the St. George/southern Utah area. Seeing as how we don't have a scene, figured this would be the best place to look. Just trying to organize some weekly matches or something.
  • mr. tibbsmr. tibbs λ=11 Joined: Posts: 573
    edited July 2015
    Hi, Utah. I moved back to Salt Lake last summer and am ready for some games. As I recall, you guys have a strong scene, and I'd love to get some games in. Hopefully BB is alive and well here. But if not, I'll play some Persona, MKX, Xrd, or SFIV (of course).

EDIT: BTW, I'm one of the only people not on Facebook these days, so "You must log in to continue" is not an option for me. The Idaho thread went in the same direction.
    CFN: mr_tibbs
    godlikecontrols.com || www.vickomods.com
  • GodGawainGodGawain Joined: Posts: 3
    Anyone in the Provo area play UNIEL? I too moved here recently. Or is it mostly Street Fighter and Smash? I've been to our Smash weeklies before, pretty cool, but I haven't found really found anything else that's consistent. I guess I'll check that Facebook group out? I don't use Facebook much though.
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,651
    Looks like I'll be in the Logan area for the week of Oct 26-30. Does anyone play games there, etc?

I tried looking on Facebook, but the Utah group is closed to new people?
    Just request to join the utah fgc on facebook

• mr. tibbsmr. tibbs λ=11 Joined: Posts: 573
    What if we're not on Facebook?
    CFN: mr_tibbs
    godlikecontrols.com || www.vickomods.com
  • HadoukenMDHadoukenMD Dokta Joined: Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey all!

I know I'm kinda new in the Local scene, and somewhat outspoken and boisterous, but I don't normally post in this thread. I usually have a lot of things on the bench and don't like to thump my own chest. This time, however, I want to share with you something I've actively been working on for about a year now, but before I do, it's story time.

16 years ago my younger brother and I would spend hours on end playing Killer Instinct on the SNES against each other. Many, Many good times were had, but our time as sparring partners was cut short. not even a year later my younger brother died. Since then, Killer Instinct has held a special place in my heart.. a way to reunite with a lost brother and friend.

Flash forward to E3, 2013. The Xbox One is officially announced, and with it, a new Killer Instinct game! I was pumped! I planned on picking one up as soon as I could to play some killer instinct and relive the glory days I had with my brother.

But I knew that I needed to do it right.

A plan was put into action from that moment and only recently has it gotten to the point where I can honestly feel like 90% of the work has been completed.

First, I knew that the Xbox One was going to be an HD-only console, so I picked up an HD cabinet (From @HadoukenMD‌):

temporary_zpsf39ccdc0.jpg
    The Infamous "BRO SPA" cabinet

Andy gave me a pretty good deal on this Noir Clone cabinet. Because it's a Chinese bootleg, it had a lot of things wrong with it. It wasn't even wired for a 2nd player! The solder side of the edge connector has absolutely no wires to P2 controls. I covered a lot of the initial things that I did to bring it back to JAMMA+ spec in a few posts in this thread on the neo-geo forums, but as a recap:

Corrected wiring on JAMMA harness to comply with JAMMA+
    Removed 240v transformer and replaced PSU to run on 120V
    Wired PSU with JVS power connectors
    Replaced monitor cooling fan (original ran on 240v)
    removed cruddy Stereo amp and added naomi amp (put an all in one in there. it fits, but just barely)
    Rewired amplifier to use stock Audio knob (this was a PAIN IN THE .. well, you know)

Since then, I've also added in a GBS-8220 CGA to VGA scaler and wired the RGB lines from the edge to a removable connector that plugs into the CGA IN port of the scaler board. It doesn't look half bad.

At this point, I felt good enough to get an Xbox One and put it in my cabinet. To even get it to display video and play sounds required even more work:
    temporary_zps320378a9.jpg

HDMI to DVI adapter cable (DVI preserves HDCP Encryption :D)
    Optical to analog Stereo adapter (powered by the cab's internal PSU)

The cab was only 1P, so I wired up an impromptu Xbox One pad hack and placed it in a spare box I had kicking around.

Even after all this work, it still didn't feel right.. it didn't feel authentic. I couldn't have anyone over to play against on the same cabinet.

I had to dig in harder. I needed a 2P panel.

I had been looking for an authentic Namco Noir panel since I had bought the cabinet over a year ago and missed out on the only one I had seen on YAJ (thanks to Chempop from N-G.com for the tip!) because of lack of funds. After additional months of fruitless searches, I bit the bullet and convinced myself into getting a repro panel completed. I asked around, but all providers had asked me to send them the panel for measuring.. I didn't want to be out a panel for weeks at a time, so I put off getting a new one until a friend had referred me to AMP UP Customs on facebook. They normally make replacement top panels for arcade sticks, but had recently branched out into arcade cabinets, and just so happened to have recently completed a NOIR CLONE panel! I reached out to them and after a few weeks of planning, drafting, and positioning, I had a new panel on my doorstep.
    temporary_zps2358cb05.jpg
    That's not your eyes deceiving you, those ARE USB ports under the start buttons! They connect to a powered USB hub, which then connects to the Xbox one!

With a 2P panel, I finally resigned myself to completing the JAMMA+ harness by adding the 2nd player in. I rewired the connectors for the 1P side with AMP UP connectors (same as a Sega Cabinet) for some uniformity.
    temporary_zps5b473193.jpg

I then decked the 2nd player out in matching stick, balltop, and buttons.
    temporary_zpsf45a617f.jpg

Finally, I got ahold of another Xbox One controller PCB, Two Crossbone PCBs and a large enough project box and made myself a proper adapter.
    temporary_zps2ceb52b1.jpg

There are no guide buttons on this box because there's a 2nd service button in this cabinet! I wired the coin wire from the JAMMA edge to it, and then wired the Guide button from the 1P pad to the coin pin on the JAMMA edge. It works great!

temporary_zps84f31398.jpg

It's been a long, Arduous journey. An expensive one as well, but I would give anything to honor the memory of my brother and relive those moments where it was me and him in front of a TV playing games without a care in the world.

This one's for you, Ian.

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL.

had
  • nitelife334nitelife334 CHIIIIINEEEESE NINJAAAA WAAAARRRIOOORR!!! Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey! umm.... I'm a dude. That is getting into fighting games.... Anyone still here??....
  • SaikoXeonSaikoXeon Stardust Crusader Joined: Posts: 266
    Hey! umm.... I'm a dude. That is getting into fighting games.... Anyone still here??....

Holy shit, no one checks this thread any more.

But yes, we are. Mainly FaceBook though.
    Hold onto the night, there will be no shame.
  • DusdayDusday Joined: Posts: 21
    Woot Woot!
  • mistrnebmistrneb Joined: Posts: 94
    Wow this thread is dead. Does anyone still play in Utah? SFV just came out so there has to be something going on.
    Most conversations happen on the fb group
    Could you link me to the FB group, I am not experienced with facebook, I can't seem to find it.
  • el grecoel greco Lite Dash Joined: Posts: 361
    mistrneb wrote: »
    Could you link me to the FB group, I am not experienced with facebook, I can't seem to find it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196049393740541/?fref=nf

Cool man thanks
  • Oldskool08Oldskool08 Joined: Posts: 2
    Yup we are all on the Facebook group for the most part. Huge Tourney happening March 12th so be ready and come out!
  • el grecoel greco Lite Dash Joined: Posts: 361
    Ntd6Cyx.jpg

Mini-Tourney: March 26
    Time: MKX 1-4 pm, SFV 4-8 pm
    Cost: 10 bucks, 5 goes to prize pot, 5 goes to foundation against domestic abuse

RanBat: April 16, 2016.
    Time: 12:00 pm to 4 pm casuals, 4 pm to 8 pm TOURNAMENT
    Cost: 10 bucks total, 5 goes to venue, 5 goes to prize pot
    Payout: Top 4 pays outs, Top 8 gets points

https://www.facebook.com/groups/196049393740541/?fref=nf
  • araider08araider08 Use your head! Or I will... I need a new bowling ball. Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Who plays 3rd Strike?

I want to play 3rd Strike.

3rd Strike is a good game.

3rd Strike has lasted in various pockets.

Who wants to play 3rd strike in Utah.
    MakSwag
  • qophynqophyn new guy Joined: Posts: 3
    utah fgc dead? i wanna play in local tournaments but it seems like there are none, except the sparse game tyrant ones.
    Tournaments are sparse yes, but locals happen frequently. You just have to ask and they'll let you join. Unless you're smelly, then they never let you come back... *sob*
    There is a tournament this Saturday. And we are all on Facebook now. This forum is dead
    801 Utah fgc