Fire Emblem thread: Now with more permadeath!

Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hardJoined: Posts: 7,781
Heyo folks, I dunno how many around these parts are into this niche series but I figured I'd fish for some replies at any rate. This is one of my favorite non-fighting game series mainly because of how challenging it is. Pussies with res spells need not apply here.
CFN: SpitefulBanette

Comments

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,933
    Love the series...just have an issue with completing any of them because I don't want to leave any of my characters behind. Trying to complete those games without having anyone die is hard. Actually still waiting to see if they're going to bring the new one that released in Japan over here or not.
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,781
    Only time I'll ever proceed with a level if someone dies is if it's endgame and I'm like two turns away from winning, at that point I decide to just plow ahead and finish.
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Games are great. Tile based strategy/rpg games are a niche favorite of mine. Haven't played a fire emblem in forever though

Probably a 3DS port for the new Japanese one, that'd be cool.

I also had trouble leaving people, unless I really, really hated them. Most people have their uses though so it was a tough call.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    There's gonna be Fire Emblem for the 3DS? Oh shit.

I love the series, I think my favorites are all the GBA ones. Fire Emblem isn't that hard as people make it out to be, well 6 was. I think 4 and 5 were a bitch also.
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel

I love the series, I think my favorites are all the GBA ones. Fire Emblem isn't that hard as people make it out to be, well 6 was. I think 4 and 5 were a bitch also.

Radiant Dawn was balls hard, but FE 7-9 wasn't too bad.
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    I've only completed 1. I'm playing through Shadow Dragon off and on right now. Refuse to let characters die though, so I'm to arena abuse. Unfortunately I keep getting quite away into leveling up my army and then Sedegar willj die in the arena or something and I have to start all over again.

Sent from my haxsung intercept using Tapatalk
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933
    So finally Nintendo's getting back into bringing back more of their franchises. Brought back Kirby and DK last year and I wish this wasn't 3DS because it seems like everything good from Nintendo is coming out for the 3DS.

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

• Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    What all must haves are coming to 3DS?

Sent from my haxsung intercept using Tapatalk
    Wait, they moved New Mystery of the Emblem to 3DS? Did I miss something?
  • zenzenzenzen heartfelt fancy Joined: Posts: 3,489
    Motivate me to play through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Other than 3-13 Archer.

I've only played through 7 and Sacred Stones.
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"

Whoa whoa...nobody said anything about them the new Fire Emblem actually getting moved to the 3DS. AYO was just speculating. I haven't heard anything on it so far myself.
    Wait, they moved New Mystery of the Emblem to 3DS? Did I miss something?

No, I made a comment that they should bring the latest title to 3DS and it spiraled out of control.

@ Sonichuman: You got my back bro lol, I think it'd be a fantastic move but that is up to Nintendo and if they think Fire Emblem can still sell in America.

A new Advance Wars and Fire Emblem would definitely get me to buy a 3DS.
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
    Oh, I see. Never mind then. I was wondering because I keep my ear to the ground concerning this series.

So, to get some actual discussion started, who's your favorite character(s)? I have always been a huge Mia fanboy.
    Oh, I see. Never mind then. I was wondering because I keep my ear to the ground concerning this series.

So, to get some actual discussion started, who's your favorite character(s)? I have always been a huge Mia fanboy.

Easy, Marth. I know it's stereotypical but I really liked him and his story, and also beasted in dat Smash with him. I know that was the seventh game in the series (First for us) and that it was made to establish new players with the system but it was enjoyable.

Also WTF Fire Emblem for Wii? I must obtain this for my newly acquired system.
    You didn't know there was a Fire Emblem game for the Wii?

Marth was about as interesting as a cinderblock to me playing through his game on the DS. The fact that it's a remake of an NES game can account for some o this but it didn't make it any less boring for me.
    No, I haven't kept up with the series since my GBA days. I guess I can get a good price for it now since it came out in '07 lol.

marth is a pimp Jiggles, don't make me school you in Super again!
    If by school you mean go something like 3-20 then sure.
    If by school you mean go something like 3-20 then sure.

Pft, you know I was rusty son, haven't played since prior to MvC3 which itself fucks up your skill. Excuses are the spice of life, and I love my spices.

Related note, we should play soon. Despite telling you not to I picked up Hawk since I can do 360 shenanigans and dislike working for combos, also, we are the same race.
    I'm in the middle of a bunch of real life shit right now, won't have access to the Xbox for the next week or so, but sure.
    I'm in the middle of a bunch of real life shit right now, won't have access to the Xbox for the next week or so, but sure.

That sucks mang, hope things get settled. Let me know when you can next then. I'm done going off topic now.
    BACK ON TOPIC:

Who was the most broken character you've ever used? Hector in FE7 was retardedly good.
    Hector easily, that dude would not die no matter where I sent him. His personality bugged me so I attempted to kill him a lot, but Hector seemed to understand my game and rebelled.

Clever girl...
    http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo237/Genis_Sage88/WTFLyn.jpg

Not indicative of Lyn's quality as a character, but these are the stats I got on one playthrough. Only stat boosters were a couple of Goddess Icons to boost her luck.
    oh my bad dudes, I love FE. Any specs to another FE for the 3DS excited me, instant buy.

STUFF

interesting enough, Marth sucked in the remake (Shadow Dragon), he wasn't even good for Wifi battles. Wolf and Sedgar got stat jumpers, in the original FE they weren't good characters. Catra made the best swordsmaster if I can remember, Est made the best Sniper. In FE Shadow Dragon it was actually OK to let characters die or you wouldn't reach the gaiden chps.

The best GBA FE is 6, 7 a very close second. 6 is just deeper, harder, and forces you into battles where you seemingly can't win at all. FE8 isn't bad but it's too short and easy, adding the tower levels meant pure LV grinding to where ingame enemies were simply outclassed.

There are A LOT of broken characters in the FE universe to a fault. It's really hard to pinpoint just one character, I know Roy w/SoS can solo map anything in FE6. Unfortunately, he doesn't get his promotion until late. Ike in FE9 becomes graduately broken, and Hector w/Afa's Drops cannot be stopped (though he really doesn't need it). Canas W/Luna Tome is broken, Gilliam (General FE8) is broken to a degree, Eirika/Ephriam become broken.

Is that Lyn photoshopped? That's quite impressive, outside her shaky defense.

That Lyn is not photoshopped at all, it's perhaps my greatest RNG blessing of all time. I've got a Florina coming along on my current file that's looking to be just as broken. She's at something like 10 DEF and she's only like level 16 first tier. All her other stats are amazing as well.
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,426
    Permadeath annoys the hell out of me, no matter how fun these games are, it's just brutal.........

It would be fine only if characters didn't get different stat increases than each other.... or characters had mostly equal viability(imbalanced enough to being ranked in tiers).......

Some can't even make themselves useful in specific situations and get left by the wayside........

Mobile Archers on horseback, healers, captains, and a handful of side characters are generally the only ones worth keeping in any fire emblem game.....

People on foot are generally free............ they are powerful sometimes but lack mobility........ which is vital unless that character just has boatloads of health....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    BACK ON TOPIC:

Who was the most broken character you've ever used? Hector in FE7 was retardedly good.

I'm in the Hector boat. I played a good chunk of the first Fire Emblem when it came over here (still haven't beat it for reasons stated above) but he was just too damn good in that game. I loved sending Hector out to solve problems on the map and nobody could stop him. Sudden ambush? Pssh...Drop Hector's ass right in the middle and he'll mop up everything. Enemies would just waltz up to him and just bend over. It was pretty damn ridiculous.

Edit:

Even though Lyn didn't have anything on Hector I have to give her props in the game as well. She pulled her weight and often times when I thought she was gonna end up getting killed she ended up sending people away in body bags while she had like 5hp left.
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    About damn time someone made a FE thread. I had fond memories playing this series, my most recent one was attempting Hector Normal Mode for the first time in FE7 2 summers ago. It was the most fun I had playing that game because I was using and leveling up units I never used before, getting tons of Support Conversations, and for once, the Lords weren't hogging up all the EXP. I was on the Gaiden stage where you kill Nino's adoptive mother, but then the internal battery in the cartridge died and thus all the data was erased. :(
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
    The only (and I mean ONLY) thing in the game that could give Hector trouble was the occasional Luna or Bolting tome. Otherwise, he's immortal, plain and simple. Best part is, he's a main character, so you get him right from the beginning and on every map.

I downloaded a ROM after my cartridge's battery died. No need to worry about things then!
    have you guys played HHM (Hector Hard Mode)? He's not so GDLK there (nobody is really) but still gets the job done. Hector is by far the best lord in that game, probably out of the entire FE series. After Hector, it's a toss-up between Eliwood and Lyn.

I've seen some really wimpy Eliwoods, then again some Lyn's of couldn't take a Silver Lance. The Eliwood in FE6 is kinda better than the one in 7, which is odd considering how much FE6 Eliwood aged.

HHM makes me want to strangle puppies. Why do random bandit bands have legions of pegasus knights?
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,087
    you guys shouldnt be surprised by FE on handhelds

nintendo's strongest card at this point is their handheld library
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,524 mod
    FE are the truth
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • zenzenzenzen heartfelt fancy Joined: Posts: 3,489
    FE8 was so easy.

Tower + Seth + more broken characters = easy game
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    I've never had the opportunity to try my hand at HHM, but I do know that Marcus is supposedly gdlk in it, thus explains the "Marcus is better than you, etc" jokes on the FE7 GameFAQs board. Perhaps it's because he can be used as a meatshield reconnaissance unit?
    not in HHM, you actually need Marcus to do some fighting there.

• Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,411
    Something about FE7 just addicts me so much. Haven't played FE6 yet, heard about translated ROMs somewhere. I guess I should look into it?

I've done everything in FE7 except HHM, so I guess that's one last thing to do with that game. Didn't know you're actually supposed to use Marcus in HHM, good to know. Anything other tips for HHM? Are there characters I should just not bother raising at all?
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
    Something about FE7 just addicts me so much. Haven't played FE6 yet, heard about translated ROMs somewhere. I guess I should look into it?

I've done everything in FE7 except HHM, so I guess that's one last thing to do with that game. Didn't know you're actually supposed to use Marcus in HHM, good to know. Anything other tips for HHM? Are there characters I should just not bother raising at all?
    FE6, why not? In this current day and age where we can emulate almost anything on portable technological devices such as laptops, PSPs, etc. there should be almost no reason for one not to emulate a game they have never played before and wish to do so, other than lack of knowledge where to obtain said game or time to play.

Only thing that comes to the top of my head for HHM is that if you're one of those freaks who wish to S Rank playthroughs in FE7, Matthew, Serra, Priscilla, Ninian and Nils are very valuable.

Speaking obtaining an S Rank in FE7, EXACTLY how does one do so? I've always had good units that are strong enough to be one man armies, yet my rank at the end of each of my playthroughs were always pitiful. :sad:
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    So whats FE6's subtitle?
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    There are translation patches for FE6, they simply fix the japanese translation (since FE6 never came to US). There was a time FE6 was really hard to find around the web, but as of late you can find it pretty much anywhere now. I have FE6 on my PSP Slim, along with 7 and 8.

You have to use Marcus at some point in HHM, the enemies are just too strong and you'll need protect your units from the AIs rushdown early on. If you choose not to use Marcus expect many battles were some of your characters are breaching near-death points. All the characters that recieve HHM bonuses are generally useful, since they start out as enemies they gain advantages of the HHM boost stats. Raven, for example, gets the HHM boost. Raven is pretty godlike in HHM, almost necessary that you use him.

To get an S rank you have to be a pure perfectionist at the game. Your tactics rating means how fast you beat missions, so don't AA (Arena Abuse). Your money rating varies on how many chest you opened and your end game funds, if you miss gaiden missions I think that could affect your fund rating since there's always chest in them. Survival means you can't let anybody die, etc.

SoS (Sword of Seals) or Sealed Sword - FE6 subtitle