The NEW Official Arcade Stick Art Thread NO IMAGE QUOTING!

Comments

• FeiWrongFeiWrong Joined: Posts: 358
    Does anyone happen to have the stock Red Xbone TE2 art as a template they could send me or kknow where I could find it? I really like the look of the stock art but I want to change a few things (no button logos, only six buttons maybe add a chun-li pic here or there) etc.
    http://tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=templates Here?
  • CapitalistixCapitalistix Joined: Posts: 47
    djb1ge wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to have the stock Red Xbone TE2 art as a template they could send me or kknow where I could find it? I really like the look of the stock art but I want to change a few things (no button logos, only six buttons maybe add a chun-li pic here or there) etc.

Comme ca?

Hey those look pretty great! But Im actually looking for a file of the exact art thats on the stick, like as it comes from the factory, this one ;
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2013/06/te2watermarked.png

So not really the template, but a psd image of that art, so I can take it and edit it from there!
  • BartStationBartStation Only 1 shade of Grey. Joined: Posts: 2,264
    edited July 2015
    original character do not steal.
    Everytime you post your art, you always make me start of PS/Illustrator. You use illustrator correct?
    EDIT: Also, bought a shirt.
    Wu-Tang taught me 3 things: protect my neck, watch my step, and they ain't nothing to F with.
    SRKSale / TWITCH
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,647
    Everytime you post your art, you always make me start of PS/Illustrator. You use illustrator correct?
    EDIT: Also, bought a shirt.

for figure drawing I use PS (using wacom tablet), for typographical/shapes/technical stuff, i use illustrator... but ultimately a mixture of both.

(thanks for buying! the one i just posted will become a shirt too if you're digging it)

cypunk5_zpsnehlkbfa.jpg

My first attempt at stick art for a TE2.

Found this awesome image of Cyberpunk Chun Li so I decided to run with it and do a cyberpunk take on it all. Updated her famous "I'm the strongest woman in the world." quote to reflect the theme.
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 193
    edited July 2015

Found this awesome image of Cyberpunk Chun Li so I decided to run with it and do a cyberpunk take on it all. Updated her famous "I'm the strongest woman in the world." quote to reflect the theme.

Cool theme. The Chun Li artwork looks a little rough around the edges, though. Have you tried extending the white(ish) background of the original artwork and overlaying it on top of the grid? You also might want to either remove the small flag and name from the left of the character art or flip it horizontally and move it somewhere more visible, since it got reversed when the character art was flipped.

Still working on a Solatorobo-inspried stick, deciding between several themes/ideas. Any suggestions welcome.
    vU71brd.jpg
    qAo4Cgi.jpg
    vkZw6Ff.jpg

• jmanDMCjmanDMC Focusattack.com Joined: Posts: 2,544
    edited July 2015
    Inknail wrote: »

Still working on a Solatorobo-inspried stick, deciding between several themes/ideas. Any suggestions welcome.

Never thought I'd get to see Solatorobo here - very cool. Only suggestion I could make about the first one is potentially fading the pawprints into the background a bit, possibly using overlay or a color gradient over the shapes from dark to light as the color goes from white to blue. It can help to make the 3 characters in bottom right stand out more, not get lost in the pattern. It also cleans up what could be perceived as a bit cluttered.

Some great artwork and photoshop masking of characters. :)

Post edited by jmanDMC on
    Join the FA.R Rewards Program! Earn, share, and redeem chips to save nearly every day! http://bit.ly/fa-rewards
    Have questions? Get answers by our Tech Talk member support team and knowledgebase http://support.focusattack.com
    Try the KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus restrictor plate for octagonal control of the popular Hori joystick! http://bit.ly/fa-kowal
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,350
    @kogyaru - Kill la Kill characters and Skullgirls logo? I'm confused.
  • kogyarukogyaru Joined: Posts: 54
    NENDO wrote: »
    @kogyaru - Kill la Kill characters and Skullgirls logo? I'm confused.

skullgirl characters drawn as klk characters i should probably add the KLK logo at the left to show it's a crossover
    tumblr_nr3ts9IcvD1r22yeeo1_1280.jpg
    Started in Illustrator, then applied the final additions in photoshop. The line is for the fare, but it's a good place to put whatever I need. I can make a green or red for seniors and youth.
    Wu-Tang taught me 3 things: protect my neck, watch my step, and they ain't nothing to F with.
    SRKSale / TWITCH
    Started in Illustrator, then applied the final additions in photoshop. The line is for the fare, but it's a good place to put whatever I need. I can make a green or red for seniors and youth.

That's pretty slick. Never thought to create a joystick layout that resembles an everyday object such as a transit pass. Does the black line represent the magnetic card strip?

What inspired you to choose this for joystick art? Was it the arrows in the design?
    Join the FA.R Rewards Program! Earn, share, and redeem chips to save nearly every day! http://bit.ly/fa-rewards
    Have questions? Get answers by our Tech Talk member support team and knowledgebase http://support.focusattack.com
    Try the KOWAL Hayabusa Octopus restrictor plate for octagonal control of the popular Hori joystick! http://bit.ly/fa-kowal
    jmanDMC wrote: »

That's pretty slick. Never thought to create a joystick layout that resembles an everyday object such as a transit pass. Does the black line represent the magnetic card strip?

What inspired you to choose this for joystick art? Was it the arrows in the design?

Yeah it's the magnetic strip. The new layout is taken from 2015 version of the BART ticket. My name is BART Station. I take pride in where I'm from and this is the best way to represent without picking a sports team.
    SRKSale / TWITCH
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 193
    Never thought I'd get to see Solatorobo here - very cool. Only suggestion I could make about the first one is potentially fading the pawprints into the background a bit, possibly using overlay or a color gradient over the shapes from dark to light as the color goes from white to blue. It can help to make the 3 characters in bottom right stand out more, not get lost in the pattern. It also cleans up what could be perceived as a bit cluttered.

Some great artwork and photoshop masking of characters. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm still playing with the colors but is this kind of what you were thinking about fading the paw prints into the background?
    IiMcn4g.jpg

• FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Thanks for the advice! I'm still playing with the colors but is this kind of what you were thinking about fading the paw prints into the background?

Try adjusting the transparency level of the paw background. You may find a lower transparency makes the logo on top right and the button labels more obvious while not looking as cluttered.

Other than that, good work. :-)
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)

Cool theme. The Chun Li artwork looks a little rough around the edges, though. Have you tried extending the white(ish) background of the original artwork and overlaying it on top of the grid? You also might want to either remove the small flag and name from the left of the character art or flip it horizontally and move it somewhere more visible, since it got reversed when the character art was flipped.

I lack the requisite skill to quite understand what you mean about the background. =p Im a PS noob. I converted the white background of the OG image to alpha with gimp so it'd be invisible. And when I do it actually ended up changing her to that yellow color and I ran with it xD

And I do need to erase that flag. Also, as you can see it looks SUPER vibrant especially the purple areas. When I printed it out on normal paper at Fedex/Kinkos it looks drab as all hell. Is there a specific type of paper that helps with vibrancy that y'all usually print your stickers on?
    edited July 2015

What FrankCastleAZ said is on point. My statement about "Fade" is similar to transparency. In this, remove the gradient overlay and setting transparency to below 50%. The pattern in this state should achieve the desired effect. Play around with the transparency settings - the goal is to lessen the power the pattern has on the eyes, as it detracts from the characters in the foreground, and logo.

You can also try adjusting the gradient overlay for the top portion of the paw print pattern, using a very light and desaturated version of the blue used in the background. It should achieve a similar effect while allowing more control over the colors.

I have to try playing Solatorobo. There was Tail Concerto on Playstation One, to which I thought this was a spiritual sequel to. Lots of cool characters.
    edited July 2015

A neat trick I learned over time. Someone may have a better approach.

The white halo around your image of Chun Li is a result of the magic wand not able to get all of the edges of your graphic. Instead try this:
    1. First, select your Chun-Li image layer and choose "Multiply" in the dropdown in your layers palette. You'll notice that now, only the dark portions of the image are visible. Multiply makes white portions of the image transparent when placed against another layer.
    2. Create a layer below your Chun-Li image layer. You're going to create a white silhouette of Chun Li.
    3. Go back to the Chun-Li image layer and right click on the layer icon in the "layers" pallette. Choose "Select PIxels" from the list.
    4. Go to your layer below chun-li and make sure to have white as your background color. Easiest way to do this is press "d" on your keyboard as a shortcut. You'll see black as foreground, and white as background. If not, press "x" to switch the colors.
    5. With your selection active, press control+delete, or menu > Fill. If you use menu > Fill, you'll have a few choices for which color you want. Either choose "Background Color" or "White"
    6. You should now see Chun-Li in a similar fashion as your wand tool performed. However, you now have the ability to erase the white halo around your image, this is great for the portions of hair that are tough to get rid of white. You can also use various eraser widths, brushes and opacities to remove unwanted white. You can also add effects to the layer below, like hue and transparency, to achieve the look you were going for.

I hope that helps some. There are a few more things I think you can do to make your artwork pop, including font choices and adjustment of the SF logo.
  • djb1gedjb1ge '09er - aka "Big E" of Big E's Customs Joined: Posts: 201
    edited July 2015

Is "Francisco" supposed to be spelled that way or is that a typo?

EDIT: Might as well share my updated SFV art for TE2s. Based off of Capitalstix's request to mimic the Red XBone TE2 Art (the non-Killer Instinct version)

TE2%20Ryu%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Chun%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Nash%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Bison%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Cammy%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Cammy%20Green%20SFV.png
    TE2%20Birdie%20SFV.png

I do HRAP v3/v4 variations, too. :)

HRAP%20V3%20Ryu.png
    HRAP%20V3%20Cammy.png
    Post edited by djb1ge on
    edited July 2015
    All very clean and pro, @djb1ge. What may help in some cases is finding profile artwork for the SFV characters so there isn't as much duplication on left and right. You did a great job on that with the HRAP 3 version for Ryu.
    All very clean and pro, @djb1ge. What may help in some cases is finding profile artwork for the SFV characters so there isn't as much duplication on left and right. You did a great job on that with the HRAP 3 version for Ryu.

Thanks, bro. On my first go-round, I'd originally had screenshots in the background, but didn't like how fuzzy they became after stretching out the 1920x1080 pics. I suppose I could mask the fuzziness with scanlines or something.

Thanks, bro. On my first go-round, I'd originally had screenshots in the background, but didn't like how fuzzy they became after stretching out the 1920x1080 pics. I suppose I could mask the fuzziness with scanlines or something.

That could potentially work, making sure that the scanlines are set to the print resolution. I know it's tough to deal with low-res artwork, even 1920x1080 isn't enough when dealing with 300dpi print output. There used to be a really good photo to vector conversion plug-in out there that while not perfect, help create resolution independent art that's fairly close. I can't seem to find it, however. Illustrator has an image trace feature, but I don't expect that to replicate into sharp enlargements.
  • IceBerg303IceBerg303 Joined: Posts: 41
    Playstation NIKE Air Force 1 HRAP overlay design idea

That's actually pretty pro looking, I like it!
    Custom mods available, located in North Central Indiana. Local and mail service available.
  • NΣRONΣRO Joined: Posts: 14
    LyyDpjP.jpg
    SOMEBODY. PLEASE.
    TE2 Stick Design please.
    NΣRO wrote: »
    SOMEBODY. PLEASE.
    TE2 Stick Design please.

lol Chill! The art just came out today and THAT one is too small to make proper stick art out of. We'll have to wait until larger versions are released on the net, unless of course, someone can direct the forum to a nice image upscaler. waifu2x won't allow images if they're too big. I like how these are too big, yet still too small. lol
  • NΣRONΣRO Joined: Posts: 14
    THAT one is too small to make proper stick art out of.
    Really? Damn, I didn't think a TE2's dimensions were that big :0
    edited July 2015

The template is 4050x2547 at 300dpi, so you REALLY need a hefty source image. I did it and it looks okay...

ken%20example2.png

...but on closer inspection...

ken%20example.png

...the image quality really takes a hit.

Has anyone ever experimented with lower dpis? Like 250 or 200? If so, how do they look?
  • AndyDigitalAndyDigital Joined: Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    This is a first draft of an Ibuki/Cammy stick art I put together today. What do you guys think?

SFArt_zpsuw0i44ug.png

It has 2 joysticks. I play a lot of Binding of Isaac and it's a twin stick shooter where the shooting is bound to either Right Joystick or A/B/X/Y so I'm going to dual wire the 2nd joystick to A/B/X/Y and the buttons above the normal layout are duplicates of R1 and L1 for Isaac functions.
    Post edited by AndyDigital on
  • LordGlyphLordGlyph Joined: Posts: 64
    edited July 2015

The template is 4050x2547 at 300dpi, so you REALLY need a hefty source image. I did it and it looks okay...

...but on closer inspection...

...the image quality really takes a hit.

Has anyone ever experimented with lower dpis? Like 250 or 200? If so, how do they look?

Did you open the file as a Smart object before you resized it, @djb1ge ?
    LordGlyph wrote: »

What's that? Is that a feature in Photoshop or Illustrator? I don't use those.
  • LordGlyphLordGlyph Joined: Posts: 64

Click on File>Open as Smart Object, this is in PS. It allowed you to resize the image fairly nicely while retaining image quality up to a certain extent. I can usually open a 1920x1080 image as a Smart Object and have it look quite good. There is a very slight loss in quality, you have to be zoomed in to well over 100% to notice it, but they print up very nicely
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,647
    This is a first draft of an Ibuki/Cammy stick art I put together today. What do you guys think?

flipped hitbox+joystick? looks interesting at least lol
  • AndyDigitalAndyDigital Joined: Posts: 4

flipped hitbox+joystick? looks interesting at least lol

It actually has 2 joysticks. I play lot of Binding of Isaac and it's a twin stick shooter where the shooting is bound to either Right Joystick or A/B/X/Y so I'm going to dual wire the 2nd joystick to A/B/X/Y and the buttons above the normal layout are duplicates of R1 and L1 for Isaac functions.

I know the layout is a bit weird but it works for me!
    edited July 2015

Click on File>Open as Smart Object, this is in PS. It allowed you to resize the image fairly nicely while retaining image quality up to a certain extent. I can usually open a 1920x1080 image as a Smart Object and have it look quite good. There is a very slight loss in quality, you have to be zoomed in to well over 100% to notice it, but they print up very nicely

Smart objects are valuable in Photoshop. In addition to keeping the resolution and sharpness as you resize a layer, you can import vector files in Ilustrator as Smart Objects and resize just as you would an independent resolution graphic. It will match the current resolution you have for your document.

Another critical feature. Smart Objects allow you to edit the original graphic file separately. This includes files that originated in Illustrator. The app will open and you can make your edits. Once saved, the graphic will update in Photoshop at the same size and effects you applied to the smart object.

You can also create Smart Objects from any existing layer by right-clicking on that layer and selecting "Convert to Smart Object".

I use Smart Objects heavily in my work because you can use that same asset across multiple projects. It's a great time saver when working with different sizes for projects.

Ehh, nothing really too special.

Wish she made it into UMVC3. Great choice of art, too. That Badaboom font gets much work these days. :)