What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

1616263646567»

Comments

• Flying PhoenixFlying Phoenix n00bity n00bity n00b n00b Joined: Posts: 44
    edited December 2016
    Is it likely for me to encounter another TE2+ with PCB issues with the replacement MadCatz sends me?
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 401
    edited December 2016
    no idea. Be sure to keep us posted if you do. That said, theres a fix for the pcb issue that involves soldering, as discovered by @Vicko . If youre up for it you can fix it permanently.
    Dubon wrote: »
    no idea. Be sure to keep us posted if you do. That said, theres a fix for the pcb issue that involves soldering, as discovered by @Vicko . If youre up for it you can fix it permanently.

Is it difficult?
    Theres a couple of threads about the TE2 where the fix is detailed. Iirc it involves soldering a resistor between vcc and the offending button, but its best to do a search.
    I'll just buy the RAP4 and sell the TE2+. MadCatz can go screw themselves for selling such a "premium" defective product.
    One thing i should mention: the hrap 4 uses hori made parts so maybe best to try it first. Many people keep the hayabusa stick that it comes with but replace the buttons with sanwa/seimitsu.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,706
    How the hell does the most premium fightstick on the market have such a bad defective problem?

Does the RAP4 use the same layout as Madcatz? If not, what's the advantages/disadvantages of its layout.

Majority of PS4-era sticks are hot garbage for a higher price point. It's simple. Offer an inferior product for more money to make more profit. Madcatz going back to their roots of making shitty controllers again I guess.

But hey, they look pretty, so....

RAP4 is okay, but for me it has unusual dimensions and is too light for my taste. But with quality Sanwa parts in there, it feels pretty good.
    edited December 2016
    So I got the RAP4. It kinda feels a contrast to the Madcatz TE2+. I feel that "both have their advantages and disadvantages".

The Madcatz feels like it's built much better than the Hori. Like a tank. Unfortunately, it is also significantly heavier and thus more difficult to lug around.

The Hori did well not to have any buttons in front of the stick so I don't accidentally bump a button with my knee and end up hitting the pause button during a tournament (this actually happened). However, having the buttons on the side are a unintuitive.

The Madcatz clamshell design is awesome. However, relying on taking off the cord and putting it inside the case is, very annoying and does more harm than good. Especially when at events like ComboBreaker.

The Hori Hayabusa stick is a godsend. However, the Kuro buttons aren't "pushy" enough.

All in all, I'd say that I like the design of the TE2+ better, but I prefer playing on the RAP4.

A RAP 4 with a clamshell design and Sanwa buttons would be the best of both worlds.
  • STKSTK In...infinite Imagination! Joined: Posts: 310
    Does anyone have the rap4 color? is the stick to button spacing the same on the rap4 and rap4 color?
    Knowledge Is My Power! My Power Is Knowledge

• DominicanPowerDominicanPower Shit Iz Real Joined: Posts: 1,056
    STK wrote: »
    Does anyone have the rap4 color? is the stick to button spacing the same on the rap4 and rap4 color?

All the have the same layout. The button layout won't become an issue once you get use to it.
  • WhiteWulfWhiteWulf Joined: Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    Hey everyone, I got some money for Christmas and I am thinking about picking up a VLX and I have a few questions. Is the build quality on the Kuro VLX better or worse than the Hayabusa VLX? It looks like the VLX doesn't have a PC switch on it, but I saw a few videos mentioning that it works on PC. Do I need to use any software like Xoutput to get it to work on PC or does it work out of the box?
    Post edited by WhiteWulf on
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 844
    same build quality

the hayabusa version has x input for pc (red/black/silver version)
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 291
    @WhiteWulf are you planning to use the VLX on your lap or on top of a desk?
    edited December 2016
    @oodk Either or; I have a computer desk where my monitor sits with enough room for it and I could also use my lap. I also have a few smaller desks for when I want to use it on my PS4.

This is my first major (>$100) arcade stick purchase and I haven't used anything of this size before. I love the retro look to it though and want a high quality stick that will last a long time. Are there any other sticks I should consider that match the VLX?
    Post edited by WhiteWulf on
    @WhiteWulf look into the Qanba Dragon. Is a nice stick but doesn't give off the retro feel. Check out Panzer 3 @Jasen Hicks. Panzer 3 is amazing.
    @oodk Yeah I was also heavily considering a Panzer 3 stick, but I saw a Used - Like New Hori Hayabusa VLX on sale at Amazon warehouse for $216 and grabbed it. If turns out to be in good shape, I was going to use that extra savings on a custom panel for the VLX by @Jasen Hicks if he plans on making any again in the future. Otherwise, I'll probably return it and get a Panzer.
  • EndRantEndRant Joined: Posts: 202
    amazon warehouse is usually really good when it comes to used things. that vlx is probably brand new that someone ended up returning for some reason.
    @WhiteWulf I own both of those sticks. The Panzer 3 is on another level. The layout is amazing and the weight is perfect.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,184
    WhiteWulf wrote: »
    @oodk Yeah I was also heavily considering a Panzer 3 stick, but I saw a Used - Like New Hori Hayabusa VLX on sale at Amazon warehouse for $216 and grabbed it. If turns out to be in good shape, I was going to use that extra savings on a custom panel for the VLX by @Jasen Hicks if he plans on making any again in the future. Otherwise, I'll probably return it and get a Panzer.

Ill be adding more panels tonight for the VLX. No graphics ability right now because the printer is layed up due to another deployment coming.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2016
    deleted post, post was shortened and posted to the Q&A catch-all sticky.
  • RevelationsRevelations Joined: Posts: 3
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the FGC and am keen to buy my first stick (tekken mishima player). I'm currently looking at the omni korean stick from etokki but its sold out at the moment. I've contacted them but no reply so far.

Would it be better for me to get the japanese omni arcade stick and the fanta korean stick and just put the fanta stick into the japanese box? Would that work?
    Alternatively I was thinking of getting the TES+ and putting a korean stick in there but I've been told the fanta stick won't fit, that I have to get a crown korean stick? Can anyone confirm?

What option would you guys go with? If I'm going to play competitively with mishimas I may aswell put the money into a korean stick.

Thanks in advance :)
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the FGC and am keen to buy my first stick (tekken mishima player). I'm currently looking at the omni korean stick from etokki but its sold out at the moment. I've contacted them but no reply so far.

Would it be better for me to get the japanese omni arcade stick and the fanta korean stick and just put the fanta stick into the japanese box? Would that work?
    Alternatively I was thinking of getting the TES+ and putting a korean stick in there but I've been told the fanta stick won't fit, that I have to get a crown korean stick? Can anyone confirm?

What option would you guys go with? If I'm going to play competitively with mishimas I may aswell put the money into a korean stick.

There is one stick that uses Korean parts, but was a limited edition, it is the Madcatz SE Korean Edition, you can find more information here: http://shoryuken.com/2013/10/18/shoryuken-review-mad-catz-arcade-fightstick-korean-edition/

Other than that, you will have a better time getting a custome case done than trying to fit one of those into a retail japanese case.
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,750
    sir_arthur wrote: »
    Hey guys,

There is one stick that uses Korean parts, but was a limited edition, it is the Madcatz SE Korean Edition, you can find more information here: http://shoryuken.com/2013/10/18/shoryuken-review-mad-catz-arcade-fightstick-korean-edition/

Other than that, you will have a better time getting a custome case done than trying to fit one of those into a retail japanese case.

There is a line of Korean joytick intended for Japanese style stick mounts.
    It is the joysticks that the Mad Catz Korean Edition uses
    Never pay double the retail price
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 882
    [/quote]There is a line of Korean joytick intended for Japanese style stick mounts.
    It is the joysticks that the Mad Catz Korean Edition uses [/quote]
    Most likely these https://www.focusattack.com/crown-cwl-307fj-jms-joystick-clear-red/
    ABACABB.
    There more info on the first page of the Korean parts thread if you want to read up on the joystick.
    You will need to replace the joystick wire harness or get a wireharness adapter
  • RevelationsRevelations Joined: Posts: 3
    Darksakul wrote: »
    There more info on the first page of the Korean parts thread if you want to read up on the joystick.

Thanks will do.
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549

Ahh perfect, good to know, sorry for the confusion then if any lol
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
    sir_arthur wrote: »

Ahh perfect, good to know, sorry for the confusion then if any lol

Its cool.

Here the link of any one is intrested
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/196736/korean-arcade-parts-discussion/p1

There also a active group discussing mods and new parts for those who are interested.
  • AshiiAshii Joined: Posts: 1
    Hey all,

First post, just getting into the scene :) Just bought the TE2+ for $180 on sale @ Amazon, will hope for the best re: some of the relatively minor issues people have experienced. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it as my first stick, yeah? :)

If there are any glaring issues I'll return it, but hey, might as well try it out. If it doesn't work out, has anyone tried the Razer Panthera yet? Hot off the press... if so, would love to know how it compares to the TE2+, as from what I can tell, it fits into the same "easy to mod" category... That is, except for changing the main decal/artwork on the Panthera, which from what I read, appears to be very difficult for novices (or at least, non-handy people). From the few articles I read, there also seems to be some doubt about input lag, but the reviewers aren't entirely convinced it's a real issue, and it probably wouldn't be for me. Anyone have hands-on experience with the board in general?

Cheers~
  • retrogamer513retrogamer513 Joined: Posts: 6
    edited February 28
    Hi guys,

I want to buy a qanba q4 raf, since the ps360+ is out-of-stock everywhere (does anyone know why ?) and I want a pcb that supports my XBOX 360. (also I would want a 2nd stick sooner or later for 2 player games)
    I have an ultra ulia kit atm with full seimitsu parts.
    Main use of the qanba q4 on the xbox would be cave shoot em ups, so I'll probably swap my seimitsu ls-32 over to the qanba, which is hopefully possible.

I did a bit of reading and I've read that some people are unhappy with the spacing between the stick and the first two buttons of the qanba q4, that it is too narrow.
    Now I'm trying to find out the stick-button distance difference, button spacing difference, between my ultra ulia (I'm quite happy with it) and the qanba q4.

Can anyone tell me the spacing of the qanba q4 raf, is the button distance different too?
    Someone told me its a vewlix style layout, and the ultra ulia an astro city one

Are the measurements from the picture http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html
    with the subtitle:

This layout takes the arcade layout and shifts the top row a bit to the right. This is the precise layout used in Taito Vewlix cabinets. Note that the bottom index and middle finger buttons are closer than 36mm to one another; they will not work with nuts stocked with Sanwa screw-in buttons. )

the exact same as for the qanba q4 raf? Or are the arcade stick measurements totally different from arcade panels themselves.
    Are there any other good options beside the q4 raf?
    170 Euros are quite a lot of money for me, so I want to get this one right ^^

Thx

Edit: Right now I saw the Mad Catz Ultra Street Fighter Arcade Fight-Stick Tournament Edition 2 (XBox 360) is up for delivery again in a few days to my country. Would this one be a better choice (I guess it also has the same spacings as the qanba) since I only need xbox360 and pc compatibility.
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 22
    request moved to q&a thread to keep from getting banhammered.
    Post edited by mikeohara on
  • unaigalderunaigalder Joined: Posts: 33
    What opinion do you have about this stick Mortal Kombat Fight Stick?
    i think is better that Sanwa JLF because is made it by Suzo Happ but i not sure?
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 882
    unaigalder wrote: »
    What opinion do you have about this stick Mortal Kombat Fight Stick?
    i think is better that Sanwa JLF because is made it by Suzo Happ but i not sure?

If you're referring to the MK classic stick that came out for PS3 and Xbox360 it used Suzo Happ which is not as good as IL. Comparing American style parts to Japanese parts is apples to oranges. Parts are a personal preference thing.
    ABACABB.