What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

Comments

• heunnerisbonosheunnerisbonos Joined: Posts: 77
    Does anyone have a list of sticks that work with the titan one?
  • game_escapegame_escape Joined: Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not the new PS3/PS4 HORI RAP 4 VLX will be worth it? I haven't tried the new Hori sticks/buttons and I am a bit curious as whether or not their inclusion in a $300 stick is justifiable. I love the VLX form factor but I also realize that a $300 price point puts this stick in competition with those from some of the better boutique manufacturers.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,873
    If you're willing to spend that kind of money on a stick closest to the Taito Vewlix cabs and made out of similar construction of metal plastic and the top panel that's almost or is the same as the Vewlix cabs and ever played on and loved it then yeah it's worth it.
    A lot of people that are buying this aren't even fans of the buttons or stick and will be swapping them out.
    I preordered one, I missed out on the other 2 and love Vewlix cabs and the Hayabusa, never tried the buttons though but I guess now I will.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,793
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not the new PS3/PS4 HORI RAP 4 VLX will be worth it? I haven't tried the new Hori sticks/buttons and I am a bit curious as whether or not their inclusion in a $300 stick is justifiable. I love the VLX form factor but I also realize that a $300 price point puts this stick in competition with those from some of the better boutique manufacturers.
    Well The VLX is the closest thing to a Vewlix control panel you can get without having apart of the actual Vewlix arcade cabinet.
    The Hrap VLX is to the Taito Vewlix what the Sega HSS-0130 is to the Sega Astro City Cab.

All the new Premium Hori stick (unless stated otherwise) are now coming as Hayabusa editions. Like how all the Premium Mad Catz Sticks are Sanwa parts.
    I prefer Seimitsu, but that is just me.

Forget the buttons and joystick, The stick is almost all metal, only the back and sides are made of plastic.
    Anyways the Hori made Hayabusa joystick and Kuro buttons are now available an optional parts on Namco Noir Cabinets.

The Stick is very easy to access, just undo the 3 thumb screws in the cord compartment and the top panel lifts up like the real Taito Vewlix panels do.
    Any ways this is Tech Talk, you don't like the parts, Swap them out. That is what I am doing when I get mine.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • heunnerisbonosheunnerisbonos Joined: Posts: 77
    Madcatz SE or Mayflash V2 for first stick?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    V2 would be my choice unless you got a hot deal on an se. Dual compatible out of the box, easy swap art, larger case.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • fatassfatass Joined: Posts: 18
    I've come across a PS2 Virtua Stick and a VSHG. Factoring in that I play on PS2 somewhat often and getting an adaptor, which one's better?
    I would get the VSHG, or both :p
    I would if I weren't broke. The vshg is cheaper but I heard it has issues with the pcb. Is that expensive to resolve?
    If it did have issues I would probably replace the whole PCB with something cheap and solder free like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-PS2-PS3-PC-to-Joystick-for-Arcade-Game-Controls-2pin-/171018138307
    Awesome. In that case it's gonna be a coin flip. Thanks.
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    fatass wrote: »
    I've come across a PS2 Virtua Stick and a VSHG. Factoring in that I play on PS2 somewhat often and getting an adaptor, which one's better?

Hey @fatass can you please elaborate by what you mean when you say "come across" ?

If you've got a buddy looking to sell his PS2 Virtua Stick I'll take it ;)
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    Ended up getting the ps2 stick. @Feargus001100 I messaged you. This is off topic but is there anywhere on the forums I can ask if someone can read japanese for me?
  • IchiIchi The Killer Joined: Posts: 53
    Guys i never use a stick before and im having trouble deciding which one to invest for my ps4,i want one to last and is easy to replace buttons or the stick,out of these two which one is the better option,

http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-PlayStation-4/dp/B00UHE4DHU/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_1

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-PlayStation-4/dp/B00SULMRI4/ref=pd_sim_vg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=11DEJEEMY3KTX4FM7MNE
    Ichi wrote: »
    Guys i never use a stick before and im having trouble deciding which one to invest for my ps4,i want one to last and is easy to replace buttons or the stick,out of these two which one is the better option,

http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-PlayStation-4/dp/B00UHE4DHU/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_1

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Pro-PlayStation-4/dp/B00SULMRI4/ref=pd_sim_vg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=11DEJEEMY3KTX4FM7MNE

Opening the Hori to change the stick/buttons will void your warranty, I would still get the Hori
  • kryton73kryton73 Joined: Posts: 35
    Ichi, the Hori RAP vs. Mad Catz TE2 question is an extremely polarizing issue; there are passionate pundits on both sides.

The RAP4 Kai is available now, is $50 cheaper, already has a pretty reliable track record, and has a built in touch pad. On the other hand, most people find the KURO buttons inferior (need to be replaced immediately), the Hayabusa lever does not allow for you to customize the gate (you are currently stuck with square), has the options button on the top which some find annoying, does not allow for easy change of art, and opening the case voids the warranty.

The TE2 is made specifically for modding with an easily opened case and plenty of room in the case for different button/lever options, already comes with industry standard Sanwa buttons and lever, has easily replaced art and plexi, and is heavier/more stable for lap use. You will have to wait a couple of weeks for the next run to come out, the current plexi/artwork combination has seen some issues with moisture gathering under the plexi, and the big hollow body does amplify the button lever noise a bit.

Here are my two cents on you choice: If you you want your controller now, get the RAP4. If money is an issue, get the RAP4. If you ever want to mod the artwork, get the TE2. If you already know you want Sanwa buttons and lever on your stick or prefer the choice to switch to an octo or circular gate, get the TE2.
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Ichi wrote: »

Read the 'PS3/PS4 Retail Arcade Sticks List with Information/Facts/Photos/Etc" thread to see all negatives and positives of what is available.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/195854/ps3-ps4-retail-arcade-sticks-list-with-information-facts-photos-etc-in-progress
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • dtgodmage22dtgodmage22 Joined: Posts: 346
    You can mod a octo gate to fit on the hayabusa
    You can mod a octo gate to fit on the hayabusa
    Not without some modifications to the Hayabusa or to the "octo gate"

Anyways don't unless you line that gate up right, you make the whole thing worst.
    Also Octo gates are for scrubs
  • dtgodmage22dtgodmage22 Joined: Posts: 346
    I got an octo for my jlf and never use it my hayabusa should be here today hope i like it
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    haters gonna hate, i laff cuz they fake
  • NarrooNarroo Joined: Posts: 115
    Hm, not sure what to buy. This is going to be my 2nd fight stick after using an HRAP3 for several years. 3rd if you include one I made myself.

Anyways, I have some spare parts - Senwa or seimistu, can't remember, so I can always use though- though the buttons are screw type, not snap it. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get something like a $60 Mad Catz and drop my spare buttons and stick in it, or just get a high quality stick premade.
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Before we get to that, which systems do you want your stick to work on? PS4? PS3? Xbone? 360? After that we can kinda determine which stick to go for, the pricing for it, and see if you can swap out parts easy and be on budget
  • IceBerg303IceBerg303 Joined: Posts: 41
    Looking for a bit of advice. I'm playing MKX on ps4 and I have a custom made stick but already tired of the deauth issues of the ps360+.

I'm looking to get a stick that will not have the issue. I know the Hori RAP4 and RAP5 are fully ps4 compatible so those are options. I have een unable to get any confirmation on if the EightArc ps3 sticks have deauth issues on the ps4 but if those work they might be an option.

The thing is I actually prefer Happ/IL plunger buttons which will not fit any of these sticks to my knowledge. My current custom stick has a Sanwa JLF stick and 8 IL buttons with cherry switches. It's small compact and oak so very sturdy. So I'm not sure Im going to like going to a plastic case.

I'm open to suggestions other than MadCatz as I have an ongoing personal issues with the company.
    Custom mods available, located in North Central Indiana. Local and mail service available.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    IceBerg303 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice. I'm playing MKX on ps4 and I have a custom made stick but already tired of the deauth issues of the ps360+.

I'm looking to get a stick that will not have the issue. I know the Hori RAP4 and RAP5 are fully ps4 compatible so those are options. I have een unable to get any confirmation on if the EightArc ps3 sticks have deauth issues on the ps4 but if those work they might be an option.

The thing is I actually prefer Happ/IL plunger buttons which will not fit any of these sticks to my knowledge. My current custom stick has a Sanwa JLF stick and 8 IL buttons with cherry switches. It's small compact and oak so very sturdy. So I'm not sure Im going to like going to a plastic case.

I'm open to suggestions other than MadCatz as I have an ongoing personal issues with the company.

You could dual mod you current stick with a ps4 pcb, preferably a hori fighting commander 4.

You could dual mod you current stick with a ps4 pcb, preferably a hori fighting commander 4.

Don't MK X have the Zero Labs USB drivers for PS3 sticks? You could always force PS3 mode on the PS360+.
    But I would not bet on other fighters (other than Skull Girls) using the drivers.
    edited April 2015
    Darksakul wrote: »

Don't MK X have the Zero Labs USB drivers for PS3 sticks? You could always force PS3 mode on the PS360+.
    But I would not bet on other fighters (other than Skull Girls) using the drivers.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. It would be fantastic if all of them moving forward took that route, but I'm not counting on it. I also don't expect Arc System Works to patch it in on GG Xrd, they have licensed controllers to sell.

And it definitely isn't going to happen on non-fighters you might want to use a stick with (like Resogun or Jamestown+).

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that. It would be fantastic if all of them moving forward took that route, but I'm not counting on it. I also don't expect Arc System Works to patch it in on GG Xrd, they have licensed controllers to sell.

And it definitely isn't going to happen on non-fighters you might want to use a stick with (like Resogun or Jamestown+).
    I am sure there be fighters that will not do this for "political" or Company policy reasons.
    Still there nothing stopping companies from developing their own version of the USB drivers.

It is allowed in Sony's policy for licensed games. Just hat Sony will offer no support for the development of that driver.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,348

I am sure there be fighters that will not do this for "political" or Company policy reasons.
    Still there nothing stopping companies from developing their own version of the USB drivers.

It is allowed in Sony's policy for licensed games. Just hat Sony will offer no support for the development of that driver.

A bit disappointing that you still need a PS4 controller to use the PS3 sticks.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,223
    So I've looked through the thread and still have some trouble deciding on a stick. What 360 stick would be best for someone with decent execution? Would a square gate be best? I can pull off most feats in SF4, for example, but some things are harder.

-Ken's cr. lk - cr. jab xx SRK
    -Sagat's cr.lk (3) xx Tiger Uppercut
    -Akuma's cr. mp - cr. mk xx U2
    -Jin's cr. mk xx mist step (SFxT)

Is there a stick that would make cancels out of crouch easier? Sorry for the noob question, my hours of reading about sticks has still left me undecided. Thanks.
    Practice will make motions easier, it's all preference and lot's of practice. Square gate is the most widely used but some people just can't get a grasp of it and octo or circle is easier for them, if you put in hours on your stick and still can't get those motions down then maybe try a octo or circle gate.
    Just for reference, normally Japanese style joysticks come with a square gate as stock.
    You already start with a Square gate, you have the option of later swapping to a Octagonal or Round gate depending on what model joystick you have.
    Gates are not that pricy, like springs you can grab the extra part and experiment.

Now that said, no gate will help you play better, only practice can help.
    edited April 2015
    So I ended up getting the PS2 virtua stick. It feels pretty nice and is in decent condition. Only problem is the stick is rusted (not a little but not too much). I want to swap it out, does anyone know what type it is?
    Edit: nvm, it's LS-56 and i guess this is the wrong topic to ask
    Post edited by fatass on
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,223
    Hm, okay. Thanks folks. So, with that said, is there a best beginner stick for the 360 I should look out for? I've been looking at the RAZR stick, is it good for a beginner? Thank you!
    Norieaga wrote: »
    Hm, okay. Thanks folks. So, with that said, is there a best beginner stick for the 360 I should look out for? I've been looking at the RAZR stick, is it good for a beginner? Thank you!

Depends how much you want to pay for a stick and how much you could get a Razer stick for 360 for, I don't think the Xbox One version is backwards compatible with the 360 if that's what you were looking at. Most big brands that come with genuine arcade parts would be fine.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Ummm I wanna pick a fightpad that ps3/4 and the two option are the hori commando 4 I think and the mkx PDP fightpad but idk which one to get
    Bad reports on the mortal kombat one so far, though I don't recall actual reports on the hori's actual pad quality, as the item has been hot here for pad hacks. Regardless,I would go with the hori based on the quality of their earlier pads.
  • killtherichguykilltherichguy Joined: Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    I'm thinking about importing a fight stick from Japan through Yahoo Auctions Japan (Japan's equivalent of eBay) and I was wondering if anybody here has done the same (bought sticks from japan), and if so is there any advice you could give me?
  • MrHadoukenMrHadouken Joined: Posts: 6
    Hmm...

For PS1/PS2, I recommend --

Sony%20PSX%20hori%20_z1.jpg
    Fighting Stick PS by Hori
    (Since it uses a compact Seimitsu joystick like the LS-56, you can swap out the stock restrictor gate for the octagonal one)

namco%20stick.jpg
    Namco Arcade Stick

6w5nwkn55hutmwn5g.jpg
    Twin Shock Arcade by Blaze

There's a lot more good PS1/PS2 arcade sticks, but I don't feel like discussing those...