What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

Comments

• HerugaaHerugaa Joined: Posts: 2
    Was thinking about getting a ps4 stick, don't really want to spend a big amount of money (since shipping costs alot too).
    Is the hori real arcade pro v4 kai a good option for me? (this is also one i can just pick up in the store here in Belgium)
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,836
    I do not see why not.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • LaronXLaronX Joined: Posts: 4
    I found a liking in the Hori turbo command ex 2 but it seems to have become super rare. They don't have it in there store anymore ( both the US and the JP one). A quick search on amazon ( .de and .com) and ebay ( also .de and .com) and googling didn't come up with anything. Are there any similar controllers. I like the handling of an xbox controller but it obviously has it's issues. A fight pad just feels awkward to hold for me so that would be a really awesome controller.
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,216
    I'm thinking about importing a fight stick from Japan through Yahoo Auctions Japan (Japan's equivalent of eBay) and I was wondering if anybody here has done the same (bought sticks from japan), and if so is there any advice you could give me?
    My advice would be: don't. The main reason would be that you're going to be taking it up the ass on shipping costs and that's assuming that the seller even ships internationally.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    edited May 2015
    There alot of set up for a US citizen to buy on Yahoo auctions Japan.
    Shipping, money transfers and such.
    Yahoo Auctions Japan is suppose to be a domestic auction site (Japanese locals only) most Japanese sellers (on Yahoo actions) do not deal with people out of Japan.
    Many will not ship internationally and fewer still takes international payments.

You more than likely have to find a 3rd party to be your middle man (for shipping and payment) which will drive up cost even more.
    for a Hori turbo command ex 2 I would not think its worth it.

If it was something really rare and you can't find state-side at all, sure.
    But I just found the Hori pad in 2 seconds on amazon via google search.
    http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ

• LaronXLaronX Joined: Posts: 4
    I avoided those Amazon sellers because aside from the top two the reviews are below 90% which is rarely a good indicator. As for the top two ones. I didn't really plan on spending over 100 bucks on it + shipping + other fees. I liked the design hence why I asked if there might be alternatives
  • madDogmadDog Joined: Posts: 1
    I`m looking to buy a new stick for about 100$ tops. I`m a PC player, will be playing mkx and street fighter V, when it comes out. Never owned a stick before, so any good, reliable sticks for beginners out there ?
    madDog wrote: »
    I`m looking to buy a new stick for about 100$ tops. I`m a PC player, will be playing mkx and street fighter V, when it comes out. Never owned a stick before, so any good, reliable sticks for beginners out there ?
    Well if you are a PC player, avoid any Xbox One sticks there is a issue with the RT and LT buttons working. The error is a MS drivers issue that MS will not fix.
    Second, there really is not a beginner stick largely whats recommended for Pros are recommended for beginners which is having authentic arcade joystick lever and buttons.

With your budget, you want to look at something used, as there nothing new off the shelf that worth the money for $100.
    I don't recommend Qanba as they tend to break a few months futher down the road
  • YuriwaYuriwa I've got time. You up for a rematch? Joined: Posts: 97
    madDog wrote: »

I second what Darksakul said about there being no difference between a beginner and an advanced stick. A few points to take into account for either one:

- What do you need in a stick? Identify that first. Maybe in your case it needs to be below $100, shippable to USA, work on pc.
    - What do you want in a stick? What are good extra's to have? For example: it also works on ps3 or xbox, it has a certain layout like namco noir or viewlix, it's moddable, etc. Maybe you favor a particular company.
    - What are the recommendations that you should always take into account? Those are discussed on page 1. There is also a good resource on reddit if you google "reddit arcade stick guide". Mainly what's important is the fact that there are certain quality standards that a stick should at least achieve, like having sanwa parts or being moddable with them, rather than "stock" parts, and being manufactured by a respectable company. Madcatz, Hori, Qanba, Razer and Eightarc come to mind, but there are more.

Then it becomes a matter of finding a stick with the properties you chose for the right price. Ebay, amazon, and other, more local trading outlets are good to check. There is a trading outlet on this very forum that you should check. There is also a price check thread.

A quick ebay search turns up this thing for me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished-Eightarc-Qanba-Q4-Dual-mod-Arcade-Stick-Complete-in-Box-X360-PS3-PC-/281693491356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41963d909c

As new, Eightarc, $100, pc/ps3/xbox360. It looks good at first sight.
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,606
    Hey guys, in anticipation of SFV's release next year, and my general want of a PS3. Could you guys recommend a arcade stick that can be used in both systems? I was looking at the venom arcade stick, but I am unaware if he build quality and whatnot. Budget is around 100GBP.
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    Hey guys, in anticipation of SFV's release next year, and my general want of a PS3. Could you guys recommend a arcade stick that can be used in both systems? I was looking at the venom arcade stick, but I am unaware if he build quality and whatnot. Budget is around 100GBP.
    by both systems I assume you are speaking of PS3 and PS4? Because SF 5 is a PS4 exclusive ( I am not counting PC for the sake of argument here, and explain why in a bit)

All retail PS4 sticks has a mode switch to switch between PS4 and PS3 mode. Top of that all PS4 controllers work on PS3 with basic functionality (you lose rumble, motion control and the home button).

Note the current stock of PS3 and PS3 sticks on-the-market-now works on PC. I also like to note than Xbox One sticks are having some minor issues with use on the PC (you lose RT and LT on PC thanks to Microsoft's drivers).
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,606
    Darksakul wrote: »
    by both systems I assume you are speaking of PS3 and PS4? Because SF 5 is a PS4 exclusive ( I am not counting PC for the sake of argument here, and explain why in a bit)

All retail PS4 sticks has a mode switch to switch between PS4 and PS3 mode. Top of that all PS4 controllers work on PS3 with basic functionality (you lose rumble, motion control and the home button).

Note the current stock of PS3 and PS3 sticks on-the-market-now works on PC. I also like to note than Xbox One sticks are having some minor issues with use on the PC (you lose RT and LT on PC thanks to Microsoft's drivers).

Oh, I know SFV is PS4/PC exclusive. I just couldn't figure out what stick to buy. Hut see all retail PS4 sticks have the ability to be used on PS3, I'll just buy a PS4 stick. Thanks for your reply, mate. :)
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    I figure I try to cover everything, Right now unless your are modding a stick, your Choices are Hori Hrap for the PS4 or the Mad Catz TE2, both has their pros and cons.
  • MicrophonicMicrophonic Headbutt Evangelist Joined: Posts: 108

I own a venom arcade stick and love it. The build quality is really great, but the issue is that it doesn't come with real arcade parts. Depending on how cheap you can get the parts of your choice, you should be able to keep it under 100gbp. If you're not comfortable modding id say go with hori or madcatz
    Profile picture from my friend Seb at tesseractmemory.tumblr.com/
    You can't get the venom in the US
  • MicrophonicMicrophonic Headbutt Evangelist Joined: Posts: 108
    @Darksakul Since he's making reference to GBP im fairly confident that he can get from Europe no problem. As for US availability, I can't confirm 100% for US, but i got mine shipped to Canada from Germany no problem. Even with duty and euro/cad conversion it was still a pretty decent deal.
    Profile picture from my friend Seb at tesseractmemory.tumblr.com/
  • mxbrugalzmxbrugalz Joined: Posts: 32
    Im finally getting around to buying a new stick. Im stuck between the ps4 TE2 or the Razer Atrox for Xbox one. I will be dual modding either stick i get. Any help would be appreciated. Or is there any news on qanba/eightarc releasing a dual modded stick for Xbone/PS4? Thanx in advance
    @Darksakul Since he's making reference to GBP im fairly confident that he can get from Europe no problem. As for US availability, I can't confirm 100% for US, but i got mine shipped to Canada from Germany no problem. Even with duty and euro/cad conversion it was still a pretty decent deal.
    No one is selling the venom stick in the US, instead we got the Mayflash v2 stick which is just a Xbox 360 and PS3 stick.
  • microfolkmicrofolk Joined: Posts: 4
    Hello hello, I'm new here!
    Actually I've registered just to post in this topic, I hope I'll be able to get some useful insights!

I'm in possession of a Madcatz Street Fighter IV SE for PS3, and as everyone should know by now this stick works with only the PS3 and not with PCs, or at least not with any PC I own. I'd really love to use an arcade stick to play with my PC's fighters and shmups, so I'm considering two options:
    - save some good money (150 to 200 euros I guess?) to buy myself a nice and quality arcade stick (I really love the design of Qanbas but I've just saw that they are not really sturdy, what a pity...) or
    - buy a Chtulhu PCB now for 50 euros and wait some time before buying a good stick and good buttons since the stick I've got should be really easy to mod

I'm actually leaning toward the second option right now since it will give me something to play with as soon as possible and from what I've gathered the SE stick with full Sanwa parts should be a pretty decent stick, right? But then again I didn't read enough to know the ins and outs of a cheap and modded stick against a more decent stick, so maybe it would be advisable to buy a better one that will serve me better in the long run?

For what it matters I'm a beginner in both genres, I don't have specific needs outsides of wanting to have a good time with a sexy arcade stick~
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 819
    Pick up a zero delay encoder off of ebay for cheap and use that.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,428
    The SE with upgraded parts is plenty nice.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    @Reiraku
    Can you make the Madcatz SE fully PC compatible with that? I'd never heard of it before.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,428
    Yes, though I do recall a couple of people saying they had trouble with USF4 on steam with it (haven't verified this personally). You can usually get the PC only model (which I've been told works on PS3 sans a home button) with all the wires needed for $10, so it's a hell of a bargain.
    @PresidentCamacho
    This one looks promising? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-joystick-for-MAME-Fight-Stick-Controls-/171017609206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d1719ff6

I'm doing the research for a friend who has a Madcatz SE for PS3 already modded with sanwa parts that won't work on his pc. I have been in the same boat before with my old TE.
    Yeah, that's the one. There's also one for $20 with home button support (you would need to add a button or do some circuit cutting and soldering with the madcatz sticks) and ps2 support, though I've had to rearrange the joystick pins on both I've bought.
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 819
    Yeah, I put one of those in my SE and it works just fine. No problem with USF4 or any of my other games.
    Mh I see, and what about modding it into the stick? Is there a guide out there? From a cursory search I didn't find anything specific about changing PCBs but then again I'm 100% sure the answers is right under my nose.
    Its more straight forwards that people think.
    That one is as easy of an install as it gets, it's basically plug and play.
    And I was already thinking about asking my housemate if he knew something about soldering ahaha Thank you very much!
    edited May 2015
    I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by double posting, but I was going to buy the encoder posted by Yuriwa when I noticed I could buy this one instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-joystick-for-MAME-I-Pac-Ipac-style-/251822690447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item3aa1cd508f

It would be pretty nice since it's from Spain and not China, but it's not PS2 compatible (not that I care really much...) and it's from Ipac I guess? The module seems the same to my untrained eye, but I'd like to be sure before buying it.

Also I'm still searching for a guide about how to install it into my arcade stick, it seems really easy to do but I'm terrible with manual labours and having something to follow will be pretty nice.

EDIT: Gah I could have waited a couple of minutes before writing this post I think the chip I posted isn't really an Ipac? And since the product description between my item and Yuriwa's one is the same it seems to me like it's the same chip without Ps2 support (and more expensive... But it would be delivered in half the time), so it's the encoder I'm looking for.
  • othgothg Joined: Posts: 35
    edited June 2015
    Hi Guys,

I am new here as I have been recommended this forum from a friend. Hope I can get an answer :) .

I am in the UK and would like to buy an arcade stick for PS4. The only problem is that almost everything is sold out. I have a budget of £100 and I am thinking about getting a Qanba since it is the only one that I know is available in the country.

Could you please tell me what do you think about the brand, I am new to this so I don't know which one is good.

Any other arcade sticks suggestions would be more than welcome? :)

Thanks you for you help.
    I think very little of the brand, especially after working on a few.
    Also there are no PS4 versions of a Qanba stick.
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce <------Not a Shill ('til Makoto happen) Joined: Posts: 2,884
    Check on Amazon.uk, there is some Hori sticks for just 99£.

Ninja edit: Sold out.
  • Riot55Riot55 King Scrub Joined: Posts: 824
    Have they said anything about release times for SF5-themed Madcatz sticks? I've got the PS4 SF5 demo coming in July and want a stick, but I don't know if I should buy the TE2 black and blue design (I don't want any SF4-themed ones) or wait it out. Does anybody know if the next round of sticks will have any new features that they've talked about that will be different from the TE2 out now/soon?
    www.youtube.com/riot55
    www.twitch.tv/riot12345
    SFV/Competitive CS:GO/Hearthstone
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,866
    From the looks of it at E3, it's new artwork and white sides, no touch pad or anything new.
  • Riot55Riot55 King Scrub Joined: Posts: 824
    It looked really nice. Not sure when they'l be available. I'd like to get one before July but also wondering if there will be sales during CEO or EVO or anything. I hope MarkMan stumbles through here and gives us an update on new products coming out and sale information.
    www.youtube.com/riot55
    www.twitch.tv/riot12345
    SFV/Competitive CS:GO/Hearthstone
  • firefoxsmm1firefoxsmm1 Joined: Posts: 2
    which should i get? which stick does the fighting game community hold in higher regard. Im just looking for comments from those who have first hand experience w both and wanting to hear their preference and why. thanks :)
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,866
    Read both threads about peoples opinions/experiences and see what seems more appealing to you.
  • gozulingozulin Defeated Sheng Long. Joined: Posts: 117
    The Madcatz is much heavier, which makes it more stable for lap use. On a flat surface, the Kai should be fine if it's screwed on, or if the surface is high friction (thanks to its grip pads).

I need the weight so I returned the RAP4 to Amazon and I'm going to stick with madcatz...if I find a decently priced one. Prices right now are crazy :)