What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

Comments

• d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 22,805 mod
    I think it already is. The "What Stick Should I Buy" Thread is linked to this one.
    I mean actually stickying it instead of just having it in the info thread. This way people who simply want to ask can see the thread immediately.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing AAAAAA! Joined: Posts: 4,311 mod
    Thinking of stickying this.
    It's definitely going to be a new link in the newbie dojo sticky. It's so thorough I might just delete my "which stick should I buy" writeup and link this instead.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,488
    The soda comment is an analogy for the different brands of arcade parts out there. If Sanwa is Coke, and Seimitsu is Pepsi, Crown would be RC Cola, that makes Happ Deer Park Spring Water. IL would be Evian or maybe Fiji Spring Water, LOL.
    lol, that would be right up my alley, IL parts are my favourite to play on.
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,681 mod
    This has been stickied. A big thanks to Darksakul!
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

Replacement Themes for Enhanced Browsing Pleasure
    Ooh, new MadCatz stick incoming. Looks like more work for Lukas.

-KR|PromilKid

• TakahashiTakahashi Epileptic Videogamer Joined: Posts: 474

HRAP 2 SA (PS2) Discontinued.
    White and Grey controller for the PS2. Sanwa stick and buttons.
    Quality: Very sturdy and heavy case. Stock buttons are not that great.
    Reliability: No reports I seen of any issues.
    Ease of Mod: NA
    For people getting it on eBay or something:
    Ease of Mod: 1

Source: I own two HRAP 2 SA's.
    Ninja Pizza For The VictoLy!
    KoF '98 UM spam:
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, since there was a lot of typing, I copy and paste each entry and edit the content afterwards, it was very easy to miss incorrect information, like me calling the HRAP 2 SA lower quality than it should be.
    Ooh, new MadCatz stick incoming. Looks like more work for Lukas.
    I saw the new Mad Catz Pro Edtion stick, Red and white Capcom X Namco. I been debating how to go about this stick. Obviouisly I left out alot of collector items.
    All the game theme Hori sticks, like the Arcana Heart or the Tekken Stick as buyers now have to go out of their wait to find them. Same with the Comic-Con and the Femme Fatale TE stick, The Dreamcast Agetec Stick and both Hori HRAP Twin Sticks (Virtual-On) $400 for a stick that is for only 2 games goes outside of Beginners range. How available this stick becomes and if I can find some reliable feed back for the stick will determine if I include it or not.

Yes I ended up including both TE S sticks, as although limited they were available enough for consideration.
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • GDXGDX Joined: Posts: 99
    I needed some advice on what are the best pads out there for PS3/360 respectively

I'm definitely a pad warrior, and jumping to stick is something I'm not interested in. I am, however, interested in upgrading from the SFIV fightpads (I have one for PS3 and 2 for 360).

What really are the best pads overall for both systems? Ive heard good things about the new MvC3 pad for 360, and the neogeo branded one for ps3 looks legit, but I honestly don't know. Note that I dont like the 360 default controller at all...ps3 default is ok but I want to find something more comfortable
    Hard to say honestly, different styles of d-pad fits for different people preferences.
    I personally do not care for the thumb stick the PDP fight pad (or as you call it the MvC3 pad which is isn't*) or the Neo Geo pad possesses.

Lets see, you do not care for the Mad Catz Fight pads, so lets rule them out.

Other options (all wired in & no particular order)

Xbox 360 Hori Turbo Pad EX 2
    PS3 Hori Fighting Commander 3
    (Official) USB Sega Saturn Pad (for use on PC and PS3). There alot of Cheap knock offs for this one so they are hard to spot.
    Original (type S) Sega Saturn pad with Adapter
    PS2 Sega Saturn Pad with Adapter (rare) with a adapter
    Nubytech Street Fighter II 15 Anniversary Edition fight pad PS2 and original Xbox + Adapter.
    Original Nintendo SNES pad with Adapter
    Mad Catz Xbox 360 Call of Duty Pad
    Regular Mad Catz Xbox 360 Pad Model 4716
    The After Glow Xbox 360 and PS3 pads
    Logitech's Xbox 360 and PS3 Pads

Out of that list I prefer the Sega Saturn pad (ether Saturn or PS2 version) and Nintendo SNES pad, but realistically I would recommend the 2 Hori pads. The Hori Turbo pad EX 2 for the Xbox 360 ($30 to $35) and the Fighting Commander 3 for the PS3 ($37 to $49). Prices are what I saw on Amazon and eBay.

*Note. the PDP pad was licensed by Marvel but not Capcom so they are not the MvC3 pad. Recently due to legal issues, PDP dropped the marvel theme and made there pads all black for PS3 or all white for the Xbox 360. Also F.Y.I. PDP was once known as Pelican.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • NicholleSoftNicholleSoft Student Without A Master Joined: Posts: 62
    I'm probably the only person insane enough to go get another Hori VLX even though I'd be better off with a Qanba Q4 due to it being multiplatform compatible. Unfortunately I had to sell my first one but there is something about it I couldn't find in any other fightstick. After I installed my 8-way gate into it it became the best stick ever to me. All I needed was that ps360 pcb and I was good to go. I'll get one again in the near future and I'll be working on my Metal Gear theme on it too.
    I'm probably the only person insane enough to go get another Hori VLX even though I'd be better off with a Qanba Q4 due to it being multiplatform compatible. Unfortunately I had to sell my first one but there is something about it I couldn't find in any other fightstick. After I installed my 8-way gate into it it became the best stick ever to me. All I needed was that ps360 pcb and I was good to go. I'll get one again in the near future and I'll be working on my Metal Gear theme on it too.
    No Need to wait for the PS360, there always the Kitty. The VLX version of the kitty is very easy to install, and it gives you all the systems the MC Cthulhu does.
    It plugs into the existing PCB and connections, and the VLX Kitty is fully reversible.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-kitty-class-boards-thread.129829/#post-5075960
  • NicholleSoftNicholleSoft Student Without A Master Joined: Posts: 62
    No Need to wait for the PS360, there always the Kitty. The VLX version of the kitty is very easy to install, and it gives you all the systems the MC Cthulhu does.
    It plugs into the existing PCB and connections, and the VLX Kitty is fully reversible.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-kitty-class-boards-thread.129829/#post-5075960

Hey thanks for the information! I am very new at this whole modding thing but I want to give it a shot!
    I figured rather than you waiting I can always give alternatives. You can order directly from Toodles or you can get the Kitty from Lizard Lick.
    ah ok, thanks for the list. I'll look into the Hori ones
  • hlamhlam Joined: Posts: 3
    does anyone know where i can buy Mad Catz TE S (preferably new & black) for a reasonable price? I've only found used sticks in the ~$150 range...
    Why buy used? I know that you can buy NEW directly from Mad Catz at the Game Shark Store
    The Black Xbox 360 TE S is $149.99 US. Also you save 20% off with the promo code: DADGRAD20

Note: you can only prereg now since the Non-limited edition versions of the (both white and black) TE S is released June 17.

You can also try Amazon and eBay.
  • taidai1338taidai1338 Creepin' it real. Joined: Posts: 23
    I am also a pad warrior and I was wondering if there's any cross platform (360/PS3) pads that exist, or at least any tutorials in how to mod one to be cross platform. Google has failed me.
    I made you a combo, but I dropped it.

PSN/GFWL/Steam: Taidai1338
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified e-sports and pew pew Joined: Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭
    you're gonna have a lot of fun doing that........

only the legendary gummowned has been able to do that
    he needs new boards, so he can't do that right now
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
    I am also a pad warrior and I was wondering if there's any cross platform (360/PS3) pads that exist, or at least any tutorials in how to mod one to be cross platform. Google has failed me.
    None exist as a manufactured product in the whole industry, even with the cheap knock off stuff. Only reason dual-mode Stick PCBs exist are because they are unlicensed products made overseas.
    As for a Cross Xbox 360/PS3 pad you can try Gummowned, I think his dual-strike is small enough to squeeze into some pads. Mostly the Mad Catz Fightpads, as the PDP fightpad is near impossible to dual-mod with (requires a fuck ton of trace cutting and adding diodes to the original PCB). If you are willing to gut a cheap game pad, you can attach the pad to a project box. And each Project box will have the PCB to a system you want to play on.
  • taidai1338taidai1338 Creepin' it real. Joined: Posts: 23
    cool thanks, i'll look into that :)
    I made you a combo, but I dropped it.

PSN/GFWL/Steam: Taidai1338
  • NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    you're gonna have a lot of fun doing that........

only the legendary gummowned has been able to do that
    he needs new boards, so he can't do that right now
    Phreakazoid187 did it first. He even did it with a Cthulhu and Imp.

http://www.phreakmods.com/dual-modded-madcatz-xbox360-fightpad

But it is a lot easier with Dualstrike SMD. I could do it!

cool thanks, i'll look into that :)
    I wrote a guide on how you could make your own converter, and it's also in the project box guide: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-box-controllers-a-guide-to-modular-controllers.116191/
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified e-sports and pew pew Joined: Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭
    Phreakazoid187 did it first. He even did it with a Cthulhu and Imp.

http://www.phreakmods.com/dual-modded-madcatz-xbox360-fightpad

But it is a lot easier with Dualstrike SMD. I could do it!

need to learn how to be awesome like that
    i have a random ps3 cthulhu main chip just lying there with no board

i think i'll have some fun and make a cthulhu with that...
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
  • ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Alright. I'll just ask here, even though I probably won't like the answer. I really want a TE(non-s, I like the original look better), but as things stand I am fairly tight for cash. Should I wait it out and buy the TE I want, or should I put my skills to the test and build a custom stick? (Which I may find to like more)

Fact is, I play on Sanwa buttons quite frequently, and I want to get a stick to use on the go(I play on a mame cabinet running various console emu's for the arcade feel). If anyone knows of a place where I can find a modable stick for a fairly cheap price(goodwill?) let me know. I am not afraid to do some soldering, so I can easily hack a xbox pad. Heck, I even have a PS3 controller with dead analog sticks, so I could go either way. A sanwa button and joystick set is $53(8 button, and a JLF) and then the pad to hack is another $25 for xbox. The TE can be found for around $120, and I get a lot of extra features with it(turbo and such), so which one is the smarter choice for a semi-beginner?
  • kylednotmkylednotm So It Goes Joined: Posts: 236
    Hori Stick section
    Quick identification key
    SE: Special Edition. All Seimitsu Parts
    SA: Special Addition. All Sanwa Parts

I've done literally zero research into this, but is it possible that SE stands for Seimitsu and SA stands for Sanwa, instead of Special Edition and Special Addition? I could see a case of Engrish in this situation, but this makes more sense to me.
    A glass can only spill what it contains.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,714
    No, the SA stands for Special Addition, which has SAnwa parts.
    No, the SE stands for Special Edition, which has SEimitsu parts.

There is a play on letters there.
    But SA does not stand for SAnwa, it means Special Addition.
    But SE does not stand for SEimitsu, it means Special Edition.
    IIIVIR: http://www.triumvir.com/

J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Alright. I'll just ask here, even though I probably won't like the answer. I really want a TE(non-s, I like the original look better), but as things stand I am fairly tight for cash. Should I wait it out and buy the TE I want, or should I put my skills to the test and build a custom stick? (Which I may find to like more)

Fact is, I play on Sanwa buttons quite frequently, and I want to get a stick to use on the go(I play on a mame cabinet running various console emu's for the arcade feel). If anyone knows of a place where I can find a modable stick for a fairly cheap price(goodwill?) let me know. I am not afraid to do some soldering, so I can easily hack a xbox pad. Heck, I even have a PS3 controller with dead analog sticks, so I could go either way. A sanwa button and joystick set is $53(8 button, and a JLF) and then the pad to hack is another $25 for xbox. The TE can be found for around $120, and I get a lot of extra features with it(turbo and such), so which one is the smarter choice for a semi-beginner?
    Mod an SE.

-KR|PromilKid

• TakahashiTakahashi Epileptic Videogamer Joined: Posts: 474
    You can make sure what the SA and SE stands for, on the Hori website itself:
    SA Example: http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/realarc_pro3_sa/
    SE Example: http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/realarc_pro3_se/
    Ninja Pizza For The VictoLy!
    KoF '98 UM spam:
    I've done literally zero research into this, but is it possible that SE stands for Seimitsu and SA stands for Sanwa, instead of Special Edition and Special Addition? I could see a case of Engrish in this situation, but this makes more sense to me.
    That what I though at first, but it isn't bad English, it supposed to be a play on words. I did a migraine inducing amount of research for this.
    No, the SA stands for Special Addition, which has SAnwa parts.
    No, the SE stands for Special Edition, which has SEimitsu parts.

There is a play on letters there.
    But SA does not stand for SAnwa, it means Special Addition.
    But SE does not stand for SEimitsu, it means Special Edition.
    That is what I tried to say.
    You can make sure what the SA and SE stands for, on the Hori website itself:
    SA Example: http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/realarc_pro3_sa/
    SE Example: http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/realarc_pro3_se/
    Well for one, since all the text on that page are images and not text info, google translate told me to go to hell.
    But I did contact an authority on Hori (No not Hori themselves), and they confirmed what I wrote in this guide that SE means Special Edition (Seimitsu part ) and SA is Special Addition (Sanwa parts)
    If JDM says so, then it must be.

Some say that he is the collective consciousness of all tech talk come alive,
    and that on Tuesdays he licks red lollipops just for fun.
    All we know is, he's called JDM714.

-KR|PromilKid

• KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,681 mod
    I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure it's a play on the words rather than it being Sega Astro Engrish.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

Replacement Themes for Enhanced Browsing Pleasure
    JDM is the borg? Are well unknowingly part of the SRK TT Borg Collective and JDM is the Borg Queen?

Or would it read out like I am JDM 714 of JDM Resistance is useless, you will have your arcade sticks modified
    JDM is the borg? Are well unknowingly part of the SRK TT Borg Collective and JDM is the Borg Queen?

Or would it read out like I am JDM 714 of JDM Resistance is useless, you will have your arcade sticks modified
    Well, the way the quote was done was to imply that he's the Stig's moé, stick modding cousin.

-KR|PromilKid

You guys definitely know your stuff! It was just a thought I had, considering the truth is a groan inducing pun.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,131
    Any reason for not listing the HFS3? I still see the pieces of meh at some electronics stores now and then.
    0087312400071_500X500.jpg
    Fighting Stick 3
    Quality: Different Case than the HRAP series. Metal top and bottom panels give the case strength but poor quality buttons. Very Similar to Hori Fighting stick Wii except for top buttons and PS3 compatibility.
    Reliability: Better than its Xbox 360 Counterpart (Above)
    Ease of Mod: Difficult
    I'd also add that only certain sticks will fit in the case on the FS3 when modding.
  • inControlinControl (Hit Box) Upa Joined: Posts: 287
    I know this is a "stick" thread lol but you guy can list hit box under "alternatives" lemme know if you want additional information since our website is still under construction

www.hitboxarcade.com
    Any reason for not listing the HFS3? I still see the pieces of meh at some electronics stores now and then.
    Because they are pieces of meh. The less of them being bought, the less chances any of us has to deal with modding one.

-KR|PromilKid

I would add it in later. I left alot out since this is a epically huge field of information, and when i can't find info I go with out. Oh yes I am purposely leaving out huge numbers of sticks still, mainly because they are for a too niche of a market, overly specialized, a true collectors item or not worth of notice.
    And I do not recommend anyone getting that Meh of a stick any ways.
    I know this is a "stick" thread lol but you guy can list hit box under "alternatives" lemme know if you want additional information since our website is still under construction

www[dot]hitboxarcade[dot]com
    Moment hitboxes are made for retail is when I would consider add them to the guide. Everything here is a production model retail stick, mods are only mentions as a factor for choosing a stick, same factors would include price, quality and what system(s) that stick is made for ect. Hitboxes right now fall under customs which is outside the reach of this guide.
    dual mod a pad? might as well just buy one for each console. Seems much easier

I actually bought the PDP pad (they still had some left with the Marvel art) for 360. I actually like it quite a bit more than the MadCatz fightpad so far
    *blasphemy* *madness*
    THIS.
    IS.
    TECH TALK.*

*we mod everything.

-KR|PromilKid

• Fili RayFili Ray Read Joined: Posts: 40
    THIS.
    IS.
    TECH TALK.*

*we mod everything.

...8/10

I'm used to just buying multiple pads when I need to, and not making a car-like investment on a stick to mod it. But if someone found an easy way to dual mod the PDP pad even I may be interested lol
    I would add it in later. I left alot out since this is a epically huge field of information, and when i can't find info I go with out. Oh yes I am purposely leaving out huge numbers of sticks still, mainly because they are for a too niche of a market, overly specialized, a true collectors item or not worth of notice.
    And I do not recommend anyone getting that Meh of a stick any ways.

Moment hitboxes are made for retail is when I would consider add them to the guide. Everything here is a production model retail stick, mods are only mentions as a factor for choosing a stick, same factors would include price, quality and what system(s) that stick is made for ect. Hitboxes right now fall under customs which is outside the reach of this guide.

Thanks for the feedback were trying to get these things in retail ASAP. As soon as that happens il be back with more solid info.
    Great thread btw, really diverts the stick newbies to educating themselves
  • NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    ...8/10

I'm used to just buying multiple pads when I need to, and not making a car-like investment on a stick to mod it. But if someone found an easy way to dual mod the PDP pad even I may be interested lol
    There is no easy way. Need to use Diodes and a small PCB.

Cheaper to Dual Mod a stick than to buy two of those. Saves space, too!
    Thanks for the feedback were trying to get these things in retail ASAP. As soon as that happens il be back with more solid info.
    Great thread btw, really diverts the stick newbies to educating themselves
    Oh I did not know you were going into actual production, I though everything was going to be to order.
    \Most of my guide is based off other peoples work logs, mod guides and customer reviews. So soon as I get some independent data, I would start a entry for your sticks Controllers.
    Oh I did not know you were going into actual production, I though everything was going to be to order.
    \Most of my guide is based off other peoples work logs, mod guides and customer reviews. So soon as I get some independent data, I would start a entry for your sticks Controllers.

yeah the launch date was supposed to during reveLations but with parts on stall we been having to push back a bit. We have independent reviews coming in shortly. I'll continue to keep you guys posted on anything official that comes out.
    cool. I will look more into it more when I can.
  • EcKo Zero CoolEcKo Zero Cool lolz Joined: Posts: 802
    want the brawl stick but dunno any websites that ship to ireland :(

someone help please ?
    [SIZE=13px]These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13px]These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.[/SIZE]
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    How good is the WWE Wrestling Mad Catz Stick? I can get it for <$90 and would also sell my Tekken 6 Hori (its fucking horrible, I can barely do standard charge moves).
    want the brawl stick but dunno any websites that ship to ireland :(

someone help please ?
    If you read the first few sections of the thread, I did state that I am unable to help people find sticks outside the United States. People if you are not from the United States, I am afraid I can not answer shipping questions / issues for your home country as it is impossible for me to verify this, hopefully gamers from your own country can answer better than I can.
    But you can try here, http://store.gameshark.net/ They do service the UK and Germany, as for Ireland I can't give you a direct answer.
    You can also try http://www.play-asia.com/ as they do ship internationally, but be prepared to pay a arm and a leg.
    How good is the WWE Wrestling Mad Catz Stick? I can get it for <$90 and would also sell my Tekken 6 Hori (its fucking horrible, I can barely do standard charge moves).
    WWE Mad Catz Stick, which I referred to as the WWE brawl stick is in my Mad Catz section. Don't ask for information that already been posted.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-stick-controller-should-i-buy.137321/#post-5353181

Also don't try to sell anything outside the trading post (with min of 6 months + 50 post) since moderators/admin here will issue infractions.

People for future reference, if your looking for X theme Stick and you do not see it, instead refer to its non-themed counter parts. This includes Tekken 6 wireless Hori, Arcana Heart Hrap, and so on. As the data does get redundant after a while.