What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

Comments

• RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 111
    I'm thinking about buying a Nubytech Street Fighter Controller. Is it true that the D-Pad is analog? If it is, that's a deal killer, since I plan on playing Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about buying a Nubytech Street Fighter Controller. Is it true that the D-Pad is analog? If it is, that's a deal killer, since I plan on playing Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.
    ps2streetfightercontrol.png
    You are talking about one of these right? Actual Color and characters may vary

It is a all digital controller. Unfortunately Nubytech has quickly gone out of business shortly after releasing the 15 Anniversary Street Fighter fight pads and arcade stick.
    So you have to search around on sites like Amazon and eBay for one. $6.50 to $13
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • darkprensdarkprens Joined: Posts: 2
    I want to buy an fightstick but I don't know which one to buy. I'm thinking of buying an Super Street Fighter Tournament Edition S fightstick or Soul Calibur V Fightstick Soul Edition.

Soul Edition's button layout is different than other Madcatz sticks. Which layout do you guys prefer?

Also, compared to TE S, there is more of a space between the stick and the buttons on the Soul Edition. I haven't played with a fightstick before but because I'm left-handed I'm thinking to hold the stick with my right hand and pushing the buttons with my left hand (though I might just hold the fightstick the normal way). If I am holding the fighstick cross-handed do you think I'll feel more comfortable while playing it or do you think it won't matter?
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    If I am holding the fighstick cross-handed do you think I'll feel more comfortable while playing it or do you think it won't matter?

That sounds like a really bad idea.

If the left handed thing is going to be an issue for you then either get a custom made faceplate for your arcade stick or get a Qanba Q2 PRO.
  • darkprensdarkprens Joined: Posts: 2
    I see, I'll probably try to get use to play it normally. So how about Soul Edition vs TE S?
    IMO the Soul Edition is superior, but go with whatever you like.

If you want to dual mod your stick then get the 360 version, not PS3.
    Well if your going for the TE-S go for the newer TE-S Plus.
    Somewhat what Gahrling pointed out that the newer models tends to be superior.

The Xbox 360 version is easier to dual mod with as you already have a working Xbox 360 PCB that can be hacked easily.
    Pad Hacking a Xbox 360 Game pad is harder than a stick PCB.
    As for the actual dual-mod you have your choices of a Cthulhu/MC Cthulhu, Chimp, TE Kitty, Cerberus, or if you want to replace the whole PCB all together a Paewang board or a PS360+.

I also do not recommend playing cross handed as you get in your own way way too quickly. I recommend ether getting used to the layout or having a custom top panel made.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • puff_ngpuff_ng Joined: Posts: 3
    Just want to say I bought a Qanba Q3 stick for PS3 back when SF4 was released and it is TERRIBLE!!!

It's wireless (thought it was wired) so there's noticeable input lag and the stick constantly disconnects (need to press the PS3 Home Button to reconnect). The bloody start, select and home buttons are on the side of the unit and there's no L3/R3 buttons.

Bought it because at the time it seemed like a good compromise between the cheaper Mad Catz and the more expensive Horis.

Seems like Qanba have lifted their game since then but I'm just salty I bought the the crappy prototype from which they built the better sticks.
  • Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJ Joined: Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I've read the first post but I don't think this has been asked/stated yet. Im thinking of buying a new stick since I play fighters so much and all on an analog on a pad which isn't a 100% viable for me with the chars I play.

What stick do most tourny players that I watch on stream use? I THINK its the TE round 2 stick for either mvc3 or sf4. Is that true? If so what type of ball/stick do most players i see use? The yipes, justins whatnot.
    UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
    Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
    BB CS2: Bang (Meh..), Makoto, Platinum
    Tekken 6: Raven, Lars, King
    Apparently Qanba got better since the Q3, I on the other hand have a server mistrust of many Chinese made products, especially those what reside in the Asian grey market.

and there's no L3/R3 buttons.

R3 and L3 are lacking in most arcade sticks, many Hori sticks and all the Mad Catz sticks lack a R3/ L3 as very very few games (even non fighters) take advantage of them.
    In actuality I don't know of a single fighting game that needs a R3 or L3, I have trouble remembering if any PS3 game really needed the R3 and L3, only Xbox 360 game that I know used L3 was Modern Warfare 2 (I don't own MW 3 or ether Black Ops game).
    It's wireless (thought it was wired) so there's noticeable input lag and the stick constantly disconnects
    Even though its been disproved that Wireless it self lag, although that only covered offical controllers such as the stock Sony PS3 six axis/ Dual Shock 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360 Game pads. Many 3rd party sticks that are wireless does suffer hugely from lag and disconnects *cough the hori wireless teken stick cough*, far as sticks go stick to wired, nothing worst than in the middle of a match having your controller shut off because of a disconnect or the battery died.
    Hey guys,

I've read the first post but I don't think this has been asked/stated yet. Im thinking of buying a new stick since I play fighters so much and all on an analog on a pad which isn't a 100% viable for me with the chars I play.

What stick do most tourny players that I watch on stream use? I THINK its the TE round 2 stick for either mvc3 or sf4. Is that true? If so what type of ball/stick do most players i see use? The yipes, justins whatnot.
    In actuality many tourney players use what ever stick they come across. And there is no PRO choice stick.

If the tourney player is sponsored by Mad Catz he going to play solely on Mad Catz sticks, same thing with players sponsored by Hori using Hori sticks or what ever.
    Some MvC 2 players sware by Happs parts, Some Tekken players sware by Korean Parts. Some pro players forgo sticks all together and use game pads.
    I can't remember the guys name now, but a big time Japanese tourney champ prefers Sanwas, and he does not care is the stick is a Mad Catz, Hori or a custom as long as it Sanwa parts. There some top players that only touch Seimtsu parts exclusively.

[Edit] More stuff to say and I already Double Posted

Over all most of the premium sticks right now uses Sanwa parts, few out there that uses Seimtsu parts instead.
    Regardless what you go for, if you want what the pros use stick to authentic arcade parts

Parts include but not limited too

Japanese Parts
    • Sanwa
    • Seimtsu

Korean Parts
    • Myoungshin Fanta
    • Crown

American/European style parts
    • IL or Industrias Lorenzo
    • Suzo-Happ also known simply as Happ
    • Wico (out of business)
    Also used to be in the Arcade part business, you sometimes can find old new stock (old items that are not open/ facotry sealed) and used items.

Nintendo
    Sega
    Wico

Other Arcade Style parts
    Toodles/ God Like Controls: Not just Toodles supply us with a good majority of the After market PCBs, Toodles does offer some arcade parts such as the Spark (his reverse engineer take on the Sanwa Flash) the JLF-TE (JLF harness for Mad Catz Sticks) and the GT-C Circular Restrictor gate for the JLF.

Rollie Electronics does make clones of Sanwa buttons that are reasonably the same.
    Rollie buttons will accept Sanwa SW68 Microswitches (used in Sanwa Push buttons)
    Their Flash 1 is a replica of the original Sanwa Flash made by Happ.

Now those parts that are arcade style but some players/ modders might find undesirable.

Ascii (hit or miss)
    Mad Catz (from the SE, TvC and Brawl sticks)
    Hori (examples included the Hori Fighting edge, the Hrap-EX, and the VX and VX, not the VX/V3 Pro)
    The PS1 Namco stick (still holds up all these years later)
  • mangudaimangudai Joined: Posts: 6
    Has anyone used the pdp rock candy or afterglow ax.1? I find the stock xbox 360 d pad to be terrible for fighters and am looking to purchase one or the other.
    Has anyone used the pdp rock candy or afterglow ax.1? I find the stock xbox 360 d pad to be terrible for fighters and am looking to purchase one or the other.
    I tried the Rock Candy pads, cheapest attempt at a gimmick ever.
    Since there a lack of transparent controllers this console gen, PDP tried the cheapest route and it shows.

The Afterglow pads. Not had bad as I can throw one across the room and it didn't break. Lights are at best a interesting idea to play around with with force feed back, but it can get distracting. I agree the Afterglow Xbox 360 pad is the same garbage as the Microsoft D-pad.

Also both suck for choices for pad hacking. PDP does not make a common ground controller. Well their Marvel fight pad is some how common ground but still completely incompatible with dual-mods with out some minor electronic hackey (for each and every input).
  • SamuelVimesSamuelVimes Joined: Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    I think I want to stay with a pad as opposed to trying stick. Can anyone recommend a good PS3 fightpad (I assume none are both PS3 and PC) around $50-60 primarily with an exceptional movement pad? Currently using a sfxt pad and while I like the button placement the movement pad is total ass.
    I think I want to stay with a pad as opposed to trying stick. Can anyone recommend a good PS3 fightpad (I assume none are both PS3 and PC) around $50-60 primarily with an exceptional movement pad? Currently using a sfxt pad and while I like the button placement the movement pad is total ass.
    Here is a listing of Pads from Page ONE.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-stick-controller-should-i-buy-read-the-guide-on-pg-1-before-posting.137321/#post-5357263

Only pads this list lacks is the newer SFXT pads.

Most 3rd Party PS3 pads are PC compatible as they all should be basic HID class devices (as its plug and play no drivers needed)
    Thanks. I saw that part in the guide but didn't know it had a lot of current stuff because there's a lot of really oldschool controllers on it. I will search for what all those look like.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
  • PapaRhinoPapaRhino HerpinNDerpin Joined: Posts: 5,936
    Just a quick question,

Are Eightarc/Quanba sticks still the only mass produced dual modded sticks?
    League of Legends IGN: PapaRh1no
    Just a quick question,

Are Eightarc/Quanba sticks still the only mass produced dual modded sticks?
    For many reasons, mostly legal reasons most manufacturers do not make Dual-Mode sticks.
    Mostly because Sony and Microsoft Lawyers are hella scary. Qanba and Eightarc does there thing as they are isolated in China and falls into what some dub the Asian grey markets (where bootlegs are common and pattens and copyright means diddly squat).

I will not call them Dual-Modded since there no mod that was actually done, mod implies that the customer/end user has changed toe product to suit their needs.
    These sticks come there way they are out of the factory.
    • TO have a Dual-Mod you have to have 2 separate Controller PCBs housed in one controller.
    • Please keep in mind Dual-Mode and Dual-Modded DOES NOT automatically mean PS3 and Xbox 360 compatibility.
    Dual-Mode/Dual-Mod is the integration of any 2 unrelated game systems, for Example a Stick that Supports Dreamcast and Super Nintendo would be a Dual-mode/Dual-Mod stick.
    A Stick that integrates more than 2 game controller PCBs are also possible. A Stick with a Dreamcast Agetec PCB, a Toodles MC Cthulhu and a Xbox 360 PCB would be a Tri-mod.
    Add a PeeWii board to the mix (Wii controller PCB) and you have a Quad mod.

Some of the earliest Dual-Mode sticks supported (all in 1 stick) NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis (Mega Drive in Europe and Japan) Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800, Turbo Graphic 16 and PC (via game port/ midi port).

To Answer you questions NO, Qanba and EightArc are not the only Dual-Mode arcade sticks, Datel, Joytron and eTokki's Omni are Dual-Mode Xbox 360 and PS3.
    Mayflash and a few others make a Dual PS1/2 and USB controllers. Arcade Stock still sells MAS Sticks that support PS1/PS2 and Dreamcast.
  • JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭

I'd recommend a Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro for you. The D-pad is excellent and adjustable by 20 degrees. I have to warn you though that the thing that locks the d-pads angle into position can easily break if you aren't careful and tighten it too much but it's still good after that. The buttons are responsive and in general the layout is pretty much identical to an SFxT pad. They're also softer to press than the SFxT pads without the click.
    Gfwl: jholtta
    Psn: julpro

ssf4 ae 2012: Yang, Gen
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Ryo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
    Thanks! Now if only I had the balls to ask for this at my Secret Santa pool at work, but instead I'll hint at a boring old gift card.

Thanks. I saw that part in the guide but didn't know it had a lot of current stuff because there's a lot of really oldschool controllers on it. I will search for what all those look like.

I put alot of old school stuff because in the grand scheme of things, theirs a bar which I measure things at.
    Lot of the older game pads had set the standards and holds the stands of what a game pad should be like, unfortunately many newer pads have fallen from this golden standard.

Example : 4 face buttons, shoulder buttons and the 4 face buttons being in 4 different colors is introduced with the SNES Pad. The NES pad introduced the d-pad. The Sega Genesis 6 button pad was the first to have 6 buttons.Something later pads of other consoles have copied.

Every time I see a new fight pad I do ask how does this fight pad rank against these older pads.
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 370 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of getting a proper 360 stick that uses the Namco Noir layout, and I've narrowed my selection down to two basic models;

1> Madcatz SCV/TTT2 fightstick, or
    2> Hori SCV/TTT2 stick

The factors that matter most to me are PC compatibility, ease of modding/repairing, and how comfortable it is to use on my lap.
    Are there any serious issues that would make one more suitable than the other?
  • bl33d727bl33d727 Joined: Posts: 135
    I'm thinking of getting a proper 360 stick that uses the Namco Noir layout, and I've narrowed my selection down to two basic models;

1> Madcatz SCV/TTT2 fightstick, or
    2> Hori SCV/TTT2 stick

The factors that matter most to me are PC compatibility, ease of modding/repairing, and how comfortable it is to use on my lap.
    Are there any serious issues that would make one more suitable than the other?

I suggest the Hori SCV/TTT2 Stick. Has a very nice weight for lap gaming, yep PC compatibility checked, and when I play on it, It has good space for hands to be relaxed for long hours of playing. As for modding, I'm not that good at it yet but I've swapped buttons and the stick and it was pretty easy. The TTT2 has a badass artwork too. Only downside, the cable compartment which breaks off most the time but u can put it back.
    I'm thinking of getting a proper 360 stick that uses the Namco Noir layout, and I've narrowed my selection down to two basic models

If you want to dual mod it then the easiest would be the MadCatz Soul Edition or TTT2.
  • Ho0v-ManHo0v-Man Something clever Joined: Posts: 500
    Hi all. I've read the first page and am still a little lost on what i should get. Total noob to arcade sticks. Been a d-pad user for far too long. Want to take my game to the next level and find it hard to do on a d-pad. I play mostly just blazblue and guilty gear games on ps3.

I wanted to just get that blazblue stick but good lord it's too damn much. From what little research I've done I think I want to try a madcatz TE or TE-S. But the only one I can find that's not soul-destroyingly expensive is this one:

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5539&idCategory=462

Is this one pretty much the same as the blazblue one?

I'm also considering this one:

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5317&idCategory=443&scid=madcatzsite

Keep in mind that I'm no stranger to fighting games. I've just been putting this switch from d-pad off for WAAAAY too long.

My selection of these two sticks is based off of my reading the first page. From what I've read the SFIV stick doesn't have any real lag problems and that alleviates my biggest concern. Is the general consensus that these are both pretty reliable? The last time I purchased an arcade stick was when those x-arcade sticks were on this site like 10 years ago and it was really awful and bulky feeling.

Also, if I got either of these I'd be interested in changing the artwork. Is there somewhere i can buy new pictures or something? Or could someone direct me to another thread more appropriate for that?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys. Again, huge arcade stick noob and don't want to waste money/mess up my game with subpar equipment.
    I don't have enough space for a really cool signature I found about vampire sex and whatnot. Screw you SRK...screw you.
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    I'm on my phone, so I apologise for not linking to art threads. But look up tek-innovations. Art does good work.

But both of those are good choices. While I like the button layout on the tekken one better, the main body of the VS stick is one of my favourites. Really sturdy. I certainly stand by my purchase of the VS stick, and prefer them (I bought two to link together) to the TE type case. And yeah, the tekken one has the same case as the blazblue, but with a different arrangement to the stick and buttons.

Using Art's services, this is what I did with my two VS sticks:

C39DEE46-2343-4DDC-94FD-0D69EA3881A9-5124-00000490B51ECC20.jpg
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"
    I suggest the Hori SCV/TTT2 Stick. Has a very nice weight for lap gaming, yep PC compatibility checked, and when I play on it, It has good space for hands to be relaxed for long hours of playing. As for modding, I'm not that good at it yet but I've swapped buttons and the stick and it was pretty easy. The TTT2 has a badass artwork too. Only downside, the cable compartment which breaks off most the time but u can put it back.
    Sounds good. I don't think I'd be doing much besides replacing buttons anyway, but it's good to know that swapping the stick isn't an issue.
    If you want to dual mod it then the easiest would be the MadCatz Soul Edition or TTT2.
    I wasn't planning to, but I'll keep that in mind.
    Hi all. I've read the first page and am still a little lost on what i should get. Total noob to arcade sticks. Been a d-pad user for far too long. Want to take my game to the next level and find it hard to do on a d-pad. I play mostly just blazblue and guilty gear games on ps3.

I wanted to just get that blazblue stick but good lord it's too damn much. From what little research I've done I think I want to try a madcatz TE or TE-S. But the only one I can find that's not soul-destroyingly expensive is this one: snip.... .

Those are both good choices, and getting a different Mad Catz stick and getting the art work swaped is a awesome way to go. Not just you get your Blazblue stick, but you can make that stick custom to you and your style and sensibilities.

Ether of those Mad Catz sticks are fine, and as Hustle Kong mentioned Art Hobbies is a great place to get art made.
    Just order art printed out and a matching plexy (to hold the art down and to protect the paper printing)

Art Hobbies website http://www.tek-innovations.com
  • MissionSchabernackMissionSchabernack Joined: Posts: 479
    So first of all I've read the first page :), so I know about the current models in general.

I search a XBOX only arcade stick. As far as I know, all current arcade sticks from hori or madcatz are sufficient and if I can find a good deal, I can choose any of the current models. (The current good models are:)
    hori real arcade pro vx sa
    Madcatz arcade fightstick PRO series (like the EVO 2012 or SFxTekken)
    Madcatz fightstick Soul Edition

These are the models I can find easily on amazon or ebay in germany. What I dislike about the sticks is the artwork about a specific game (I dont plan to mod the stick, I already have a selfmade multi console full sanwa stick, I just search a stock xbox360 stick without modding it).
    Are there "neutral" Arcade sticks of the brands hori and madcatz without such artworks? And with actual pcb and other electronic versions?

I planned to buy the HORI Real Arcade Pro 3 for xbox360, because it looks neutral with the black top, but it has "only" Hori buttons and is more expensive then the SFxtekken madcatz stick (which goes for 101€ new, but I dont play sfxtekken, so I dont want to have the artwork on my stick).

Ah and another important point, how about the dimensions of the stick? I search a stick which fits easily in comon backpacks.

thx so far
  • Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJ Joined: Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭
    Ok so I finally have the money to buy a stick, and im finally ready to move from my xbox analog stick to a real fighting stick to hopefully improve my game as a whole.

Im planning on ordering a madcatz round 2 TE MVC3 or SF4 stick. These are good right? I know it says on the first post they are but just checking. The MVC3 one should be about the same as well from what I read. I just dont wanna make the wrong decision and be stuck with it xD
    UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
    Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
    BB CS2: Bang (Meh..), Makoto, Platinum
    Tekken 6: Raven, Lars, King
    Ok so I finally have the money to buy a stick, and im finally ready to move from my xbox analog stick to a real fighting stick to hopefully improve my game as a whole.

Im planning on ordering a madcatz round 2 TE MVC3 or SF4 stick. These are good right? I know it says on the first post they are but just checking. The MVC3 one should be about the same as well from what I read. I just dont wanna make the wrong decision and be stuck with it xD
    There no difference between the Mad Catz MvC 3 TE or SF IV TE sticks other than art and color scheme.
    So first of all I've read the first page :), so I know about the current models in general.

I search a XBOX only arcade stick. As far as I know, all current arcade sticks from hori or madcatz are sufficient and if I can find a good deal, I can choose any of the current models. (The current good models are:)
    hori real arcade pro vx sa
    Madcatz arcade fightstick PRO series (like the EVO 2012 or SFxTekken)
    Madcatz fightstick Soul Edition

These are the models I can find easily on amazon or ebay in germany. What I dislike about the sticks is the artwork about a specific game (I dont plan to mod the stick, I already have a selfmade multi console full sanwa stick, I just search a stock xbox360 stick without modding it).
    Are there "neutral" Arcade sticks of the brands hori and madcatz without such artworks? And with actual pcb and other electronic versions?

I planned to buy the HORI Real Arcade Pro 3 for xbox360, because it looks neutral with the black top, but it has "only" Hori buttons and is more expensive then the SFxtekken madcatz stick (which goes for 101€ new, but I dont play sfxtekken, so I dont want to have the artwork on my stick).

Ah and another important point, how about the dimensions of the stick? I search a stick which fits easily in comon backpacks.

thx so far
    The Neutral or No-game art theme TE include the "Asian" white TE and the limited edition Gold Evo TE. I Left the Gold Evo stick out of the guide because of it's rarity.
    There is also a Blue Evo Pro Stick by Mad Catz.

and the Hori stick you mention is not game themed.
    But there no commercial stick out there with absolutely no panel art.You migth want to bite the bullet get a decent stick with (what you feel) is less than stellar art and later swap out the art work.

Yeah the HORI Real Arcade Pro 3 is kinda huge, but its a PS3 stick. The Xbox 360 version is called the Hori Real Arcade Pro - EX.
    Not all the older Hrap sticks use Hori knock offs, Hrap's models ending in SA are all Sanwa while Hori ending in SE is Seimitsu

If you want to go to a smaller stick there the non-pro version of the VX and V3, it has Hori buttons but with some effort the stick can be easily modded to take Seimitsu or Sanwa buttons. All the Premium sticks from Mad Catz, Hori, and Qanba/Eightarc are quite large.

Exar's Sanwa edition stick is small but it is a PS3 stick.

I don't have exact dimensions at the moment, I need to find my measuring tape to measure out my TE and Hrap EX.
    There no difference between the Mad Catz MvC 3 TE or SF IV TE sticks other than art and color scheme.

The Neutral or No-game art theme TE include the "Asian" white TE and the limited edition Gold Evo TE. I Left the Gold Evo stick out of the guide because of it's rarity.
    There is also a Blue Evo Pro Stick by Mad Catz.

and the Hori stick you mention is not game themed.
    But there no commercial stick out there with absolutely no panel art.You migth want to bite the bullet get a decent stick with (what you feel) is less than stellar art and later swap out the art work.

Yeah the HORI Real Arcade Pro 3 is kinda huge, but its a PS3 stick. The Xbox 360 version is called the Hori Real Arcade Pro - EX.
    Not all the older Hrap sticks use Hori knock offs, Hrap's models ending in SA are all Sanwa while Hori ending in SE is Seimitsu

If you want to go to a smaller stick there the non-pro version of the VX and V3, it has Hori buttons but with some effort the stick can be easily modded to take Seimitsu or Sanwa buttons. All the Premium sticks from Mad Catz, Hori, and Qanba/Eightarc are quite large.

Exar's Sanwa edition stick is small but it is a PS3 stick.

I don't have exact dimensions at the moment, I need to find my measuring tape to measure out my TE and Hrap EX.

Ah ok, so there are no "pro" sticks with smaller measurements, thats a pain :( !
    With the "non-pro version of the vx and v3" you mean the Hori Fighting stick Ex2? I hear that's hard to mod, and I dont plan to mod the stick, I would prefer it to have it stock with sanwa parts. Thx so far. At the moment I think I will go with the new madcatz tekken tag tournament 2 stick, it has a kind of neutral artwork, but I dont like the broken glass look :(. Or I might go with the Hori tekken tag tournament 2 stick, also top of the line, and kind of dark, so you cant really see the artwork from a distant.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/07/20/higher-quality-images-of-horis-tekken-tag-tournament-2-arcade-stick-released/

I very much like the noir layout, the bottom row is more shifted to the right (compared to astro city), which is much better for me, because I dont play with my thumb.
    If you want the Noir layout, you should look for a TTT2 or SCV stick.
  • syn13syn13 SynWerks...no relation to SYN|MC Honzo Gonzo Joined: Posts: 1,339 ✭✭
    Ah ok, so there are no "pro" sticks with smaller measurements, thats a pain :( !
    With the "non-pro version of the vx and v3" you mean the Hori Fighting stick Ex2? I hear that's hard to mod, and I dont plan to mod the stick, I would prefer it to have it stock with sanwa parts. Thx so far. At the moment I think I will go with the new madcatz tekken tag tournament 2 stick, it has a kind of neutral artwork, but I dont like the broken glass look :(. Or I might go with the Hori tekken tag tournament 2 stick, also top of the line, and kind of dark, so you cant really see the artwork from a distant.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/07/20/higher-quality-images-of-horis-tekken-tag-tournament-2-arcade-stick-released/

I very much like the noir layout, the bottom row is more shifted to the right (compared to astro city), which is much better for me, because I dont play with my thumb.
    Generally for Hori and Mad Catz, the type of stick made for retail market will determine the size and how much work you need to invest into them:
    Current Entry Levels: Hori Fighting Stick V series and Mad Catz BrawlStick - The current Fighting Stick V series are one of my faves, they got a good slim size but you will need to know how to solder and a bit of electronic know how to install arcade standard parts. The BrawlStick is just as small but thicker but in the end, it's easy to mod(no soldering required).

If you want to save some cash and grab something with a Namco Noir layout, go with the Hori SCV themed Noir stick or Mad Catz SOUL Edition stick as they're usually on promotion(but that's in North America). I have the KOFXII EXAR stick and that's a 6 button Noir stick but it's TOO small IMO, all the new Real Arcade Pro V series sticks come standard with Sanwa parts, the previous gen are picky as only the HRAP ending with SA come with complete set of Sanwa buttons where the Sanwa stick lever is standard.
    Thx for the help guys. I purchased a SF x tekken pro stick now. I dont know if I can get used to the viewlix layout (never tried it before), but the price went down and down on amazon each day, now it was at ~91€ (germany) new and I had to strike :) .
    At least it seems to be a quality stick with a long usb cable (important).
    If I cant adjust to the layout, I can always disclaim and send it back to amazon, but I think it was the right buy.

No not the EX or EX2, I am talking about the regular VX and V3 (the 6 button model)
    HoriV3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1339557241381
    PS3

31EKSkKkIBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    Xbox 360

But if you want a "Netural stick" with Sanwa parts as stock go with the Tekken Tag Mad Catz TE. You can always swap out the art later.

The the noir layout is a slightly modified Veiwlix Layout, Only sticks that have an actual Noir layout are the Teken sticks.
    What you cal the Astro City is actually one of 2 Sega 6 button layouts
  • AugAug Joined: Posts: 62
    Was thinking about picking up a Qanba Q2, the one with left/right hand. I don't really need that feature, but there's a good deal on it at eightarc.com. -20 flat rate, and -20 with coupon XMAS2012. Anyone have any experience with it? I never had a stick, and I was thinking about picking that up. I figure for that price, it'd be worth not having dual mod.
    [SIZE=11px]PSN: MugiwaraTenks[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]UMvC3: Wesker/Vergil/Strider[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]SSF4AE: Cammy/Makoto/Ibuki[/SIZE]
    Persona 4: Yosuke
  • syn13syn13 SynWerks...no relation to SYN|MC Honzo Gonzo Joined: Posts: 1,339 ✭✭
    Was thinking about picking up a Qanba Q2, the one with left/right hand. I don't really need that feature, but there's a good deal on it at eightarc.com. -20 flat rate, and -20 with coupon XMAS2012. Anyone have any experience with it? I never had a stick, and I was thinking about picking that up. I figure for that price, it'd be worth not having dual mod.
    The funny thing is that any of the Qanba sticks (RAF series, Q2, Q3 & Q4) has a mode button that inverts the stick levers controls for left hand use. Either way, Qanba sticks are quality equipment from what I had in the past(Q3 & RAF4 S3).
  • Brewski_420Brewski_420 Jumping S until it works. Joined: Posts: 181
    It may have been talked about before and I read the little snippet about it but does anyone here actually use the Hori EX2 pad or have any additional information on it?
    Yes, I am aware how stupid my name is but I am cursed to this name.
    UMVC3: Ghost Rider, Doctor Doom, Shuma-Gorath
    PSN: Brewski_420
  • AugAug Joined: Posts: 62
    The funny thing is that any of the Qanba sticks (RAF series, Q2, Q3 & Q4) has a mode button that inverts the stick levers controls for left hand use. Either way, Qanba sticks are quality equipment from what I had in the past(Q3 & RAF4 S3).

Picked one up anyway. Just hope I don't have to pay VAT fees.
    [SIZE=11px]PSN: MugiwaraTenks[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]UMvC3: Wesker/Vergil/Strider[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11px]SSF4AE: Cammy/Makoto/Ibuki[/SIZE]
    Persona 4: Yosuke
    It may have been talked about before and I read the little snippet about it but does anyone here actually use the Hori EX2 pad or have any additional information on it?
    You mean the Fighting Stick EX2?
    It has a nice layout, but it's a lot of work to mod.

Or are you talking about the Horipad EX2 Turbo?
  • Brewski_420Brewski_420 Jumping S until it works. Joined: Posts: 181
    You mean the Fighting Stick EX2?
    It has a nice layout, but it's a lot of work to mod.

Or are you talking about the Horipad EX2 Turbo?
    the Hori EX2 Turbo controller sorry for the confusion.
    Yes, I am aware how stupid my name is but I am cursed to this name.
    UMVC3: Ghost Rider, Doctor Doom, Shuma-Gorath
    PSN: Brewski_420
    Do Hori's TTT2 and SCV sticks not have the ability to map the stick inputs to left or right analog? All I see are useless button swapping switches. I don't want to be stuck with just a POV hat in Windows.
    Do Hori's TTT2 and SCV sticks not have the ability to map the stick inputs to left or right analog? All I see are useless button swapping switches. I don't want to be stuck with just a POV hat in Windows.
    sadly that is largely the case, specially for Xbox 360 sticks, as the d-pad works the POV hat and the Left and right triggers work as an axis and not 2 separate buttons.

This is why I still support dual-modding for Xbox 360 sticks when the 2nd system is a PC instead of a PS3. Toodles PCBs does both POV Hat and Left Analog, and the Cerberus can be set up to force left analog (LS) mode.

You also regain the use of button 13 (home/guide) as the default Xbox 360 drivers do not allow the use of the guide button outside of games that strictly operate in MS' Games for Windows Initiative.
    AH, that's a shame. I guesss that narrows it down to the two madcatz noir sticks. The SCV stick is on sale most of the time, fortunately.
  • KILLA_Nemesis_KILLA_Nemesis_ I'm nice until you make me mean. Joined: Posts: 46
  • JenBellJenBell Joined: Posts: 1
    hello peeps, I've been reading the OP and parts of this thread but still cannot answer my question:
    I previously owned a PS3 and madcatz sf4 TE stick - first generation. I've given the stick and the PS3 to my little bro and want to continue playing sf4 on my PC.
    I want to buy a new stick, I am thinking of the best available because I can probably afford it right now. I want the highest quality stick available.
    Should I hunting the down the TE-S sticks (are they still sold anywhere - in the UK) or should I be looking at the sf x tek VS stick? I have heavy hands so prefer the TE sticks types. Main thing is that I dont mind spending the monies but need to know what I should be looking for. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Any links to UK sites with the items recommended would be very nice. Thank you in advance, really appreciate the advice. (yay first post;-)

edit. Saw the tekken tage TE-S stick. it's go the noir button layout. No Nice. I want the same layout as standard TE - velix or something. I am thinking seriously about the VS stick. It ticks all the boxes. Its just not a 'TE" stick though. Anyone care to comment? Are TE sticks better than the VS? Are there any TE-S sticks with the standard button layout?
    For the most part the "TE"s and the VS is the same stick. The physical casing and the branding is different, but that is it.
    If you got the money got for a newer Mad Catz stick over a older one.

Mad Catz own store is the Game Shark Store (Mad Catz bought out the rights to game shark years ago)
    The UK Store - http://store.gameshark.net/
    The US Store - http://store.gameshark.com/
  • Machineking1313Machineking1313 Infamous User Joined: Posts: 1,392
    Hey guys, I was curious if anyone had any opinions on the best controller for PS3 that is the closest to the Xbox 360 controller. I do not use the d-pad, I use the analog stick. Some in the past have suggested this http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5270&idCategory=413&scid=madcatz

I have a controller that is for PS3 but is designed like the Xbox, from Power A. It is alright, not exactly the same. Or perhaps people could suggest a convertor for an Xbox 360 controller to a PS3 that is the best and has the least amount of lag. Any help is appreciated guys! Thanks!
    Everyone! Get your torches lit and your pitchforks ready! We are storming Capcom's headquarters while shouting "SHORYUKEN!!!!"