What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting.

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or perhaps people could suggest a convertor for an Xbox 360 controller to a PS3
    None are worth getting. Some people claim the $90 Chronus adapter works but I am highly skeptical.
    Basically there no worth wild PS3 to Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 to PS3 adapters.

Your best bet is the Major League Gaming - Pro Circuit Controller from Mad Catz

Oh yeah there some who believe there lag input from the Left Analog when compared to the D-pad (LS and DP settings on some arcade sticks)
    You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 749
    Hey Darksakul,

Thanks for the guide. I do, however, have some questions about getting a stick. Been using a ps3 pad, but I'd like to invest on a stick. There are 3 sticks that I'm interested in; Chun TE-S, VS, and the Omni. Thinking of joining the local scene more and bring it around casuals or maybe tourneys.

I can pick up the Chun for 120, and get it dual modded for 100 I think from chowwun. I was reading a page back that you said that the 360 version would be easier to mod and the different dual mods, does it matter which one you choose? Are they all the same, or is one better than the other? The guy I'm buying it off only has a ps3, should I still go for it? Was also thinking of installing a korean stick just to try it out.

About the VS, how heavy is it compared to the TE-S? and is it more of a stick for home use?
    I stated starting with a Xbox 360 Stick for dual mods is easier as you already have a Xbox 360 PCB ready to go.
    Its easier to find boards that do good PS3 game play than it is to find a good Xbox 360 board, as you choices for Xbox 360 PCBs are slim and for the most part have to be harvested from an existing game pad. Also the wiring becomes easier as well. The alternative is a all-in-one board like the Paewang or PS360+.

There also a number of dual mod kids that do auto-detect, like the chimp and the Cerberus, for a existing PS3 stick you need ether a imp or a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) Switch.

As for you choice for sticks, all 3 are good and you can't go wrong with ether one.
    I assume the VS is heavier than the TE-S as the body is bulkier, but not by much.
    Also both sticks where intended for end-user home use and not more industrial settings although all 3 sticks are made with authentic arcade parts.
    there is a unwritten rule that every Full Moon some clueless poster has to stumble into this forum and tout their own perception as hard fact.
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 749
    Ah I see. Hadn't known there were like things like that to look out for. I was told that if I used a ps3, I'd have no auto detect. I'm not sure how much it matters to me. Seems like a small hassle, but not that much. So many choices, so little money.

I guess what I was wondering is if VS was meant for portability to bring to tourneys.

Thanks for the info darksakul, I appreciate it.
  • rEsagerEsage Joined: Posts: 12
    What stick is suggested between the two. The SC stick is 60$ off with the SCR going on making it 112$ with shipping. But price is not a problem if the Qanba is voted better.

Madcatz : soul caliber soul edition stick.
    http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5309&idCategory=286

or

Qanba4 (black)
    http://eightarc.com/qanba-q4-black

I will be using it as stock. In terms of parts ect. Which would most agree being the better stick.

Thanks
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    What stick is suggested between the two. The SC stick is 60$ off with the SCR going on making it 112$ with shipping. But price is not a problem if the Qanba is voted better.

or

Qanba4 (black)

I will be using it as stock. In terms of parts ect. Which would most agree being the better stick.

Thanks

Those two have the same parts. The difference between the two being button/stick layout, and the fact that the Qanba is multi-console.
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"
  • rEsagerEsage Joined: Posts: 12
    Those two have the same parts. The difference between the two being button/stick layout, and the fact that the Qanba is multi-console.

Cool, helps with my decision.

I don't know much about parts or anything. I'm pretty new to arcade sticks. Do you have the name of the part or a website to face plates that would replace the soul caliber faceplate (that's the only thing giving me OCD problems lol)

Thanks!
    Cool, helps with my decision.

I don't know much about parts or anything. I'm pretty new to arcade sticks. Do you have the name of the part or a website to face plates that would replace the soul caliber faceplate (that's the only thing giving me OCD problems lol)

Thanks!

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=1

Art does great work.
  • SaikoJoshSaikoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 694
    Hi all. I'm in the market for a custom personalized stick. I don't know where I'd go specifically on this forum to get such a thing. I live in Canada so I'd prefer it if it were shipped from within the same country, but if I really must I'm willing to pay for a stick shipment from the States. Here's all of what I need and want.

Needs: Circle-gate stick (preferably Happ bat-top), custom artwork overlay on the entire top of the stick, seimitsu clear buttons with the artwork visible on/through them. 6-button straight layout with start/select/guide buttons on the front face of the stick.
    Wants: Three-way (PC/360/PS3) compatibility, blue LED buttons (light up on button press).
    Budget: $350 CAD + Shipping.

Anyone know what I can do or who I can contact to get this done for me? I've never done any DIY work before, nor do I want to. I want someone else to do all that for me.

The artwork is a single image supplied by me. I was gonna get an AIAB stick, but unfortunately they went under, and I don't know where to get such a stick now.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,810 mod
    Hi all. I'm in the market for a custom personalized stick. I don't know where I'd go specifically on this forum to get such a thing. I live in Canada so I'd prefer it if it were shipped from within the same country, but if I really must I'm willing to pay for a stick shipment from the States. Here's all of what I need and want.

Needs: Circle-gate stick (preferably Happ bat-top), custom artwork overlay on the entire top of the stick, seimitsu clear buttons with the artwork visible on/through them. 6-button straight layout with start/select/guide buttons on the front face of the stick.
    Wants: Three-way (PC/360/PS3) compatibility, blue LED buttons (light up on button press).
    Budget: $350 CAD + Shipping.

Anyone know what I can do or who I can contact to get this done for me? I've never done any DIY work before, nor do I want to. I want someone else to do all that for me.

The artwork is a single image supplied by me. I was gonna get an AIAB stick, but unfortunately they went under, and I don't know where to get such a stick now.
    Try checking this thread: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/want-a-custom-stick-come-in-here-official-custom-stick-builders-thread.126785/

or

Qanba4 (black)

Thanks
    There are some reports of issues with drop input and lag with Qanba, the newer Mad Catz sticks have solved the issued the round 1 TE had.
  • rEs4gerEs4ge Joined: Posts: 14
    There are some reports of issues with drop input and lag with Qanba, the newer Mad Catz sticks have solved the issued the round 1 TE had.

I am now deciding between the Qanba4 and the SFxT pro.. (is the pro the same as the SCV soul edition?)

Which stick should I purchase? =/
    SFxT Pro isn't the same as the SCV in terms of body shell. its a completely different Case/Shell.
    The Joystick, Push Buttons and electronics are identical so in that respect they should handle the same.

Unless you really really need dual-mode right now out of the box, I say go for Mad Catz. (even if you want a dual mod I say stick with mad Catz and suck up the extra cost of modding later).
    The SVC when comes to modding is identical to the TEs, just the case color and border bezel is different.
    The SFxT Pro isnt a TE doe to its shape but its guts are the same
  • Maia420Maia420 Joined: Posts: 2
    Hi, I have read all the reviews of arcade sticks you have here but I'm still in doubt of what to get... Mainly because there are no infos here about the sticks having ball or bat top and also if the gates are squared or octagonal. Besides that I could only find about 3 sticks that are wireless and really can't tell wich is the better...

So, I hope people don't hate me for asking this, but WICH ARCADE STICK SHOULD I GET??
    Here is what I WANT/NEED:
    -Wireless function;
    -Great Quality, Reliability and Durability (Sanwa);
    -"Bat-top" Stick and Octagonal Gate (thou I can change parts if I HAVE to);
    -Ease of Mod 1 (Easy: Standard parts drops right into place, reasonable access to all parts);

I really don't care much about PRICE right now, so just opinions of sticks that have good wireless function and have sanwa parts or easy to mod parts would already be awesome and help me a lot!
    Thanks already and sorry If I said something stupid, total noob here.
    Hi, I have read all the reviews of arcade sticks you have here but I'm still in doubt of what to get... Mainly because there are no infos here about the sticks having ball or bat top and also if the gates are squared or octagonal. Besides that I could only find about 3 sticks that are wireless and really can't tell wich is the better...

So, I hope people don't hate me for asking this, but WICH ARCADE STICK SHOULD I GET??
    Here is what I WANT/NEED:
    -Wireless function;
    -Great Quality, Reliability and Durability (Sanwa);
    -"Bat-top" Stick and Octagonal Gate (thou I can change parts if I HAVE to);
    -Ease of Mod 1 (Easy: Standard parts drops right into place, reasonable access to all parts);

I really don't care much about PRICE right now, so just opinions of sticks that have good wireless function and have sanwa parts or easy to mod parts would already be awesome and help me a lot!
    Thanks already and sorry If I said something stupid, total noob here.
    99% of the time if a Japanese style joystick is used it comes with a Ball top. Very few sticks made with Sanwa parts come with a bat top, and most of those offer a Bat top as a optional part.

With Japanese style parts All commercial sticks sold retail come with the default Square Gate
    Here is what I WANT/NEED: -Wireless function;
    No you don't. Trust me of all the commercially sticks available the ones that come wireless are crap. Lots and lots of lag and drop input.
    Unless the stick uses a PCB from a actual Microsoft (brand) Xbox 360 controller or a Sony Dual Shock 3 or Six Axis controller you don't want wireless.
    Great Quality, Reliability and Durability
    Quality and Reliability is a relative term. Quality compared to what? In The arcade stick scene as long as you get authentic parts you have relative quality and reliability.
    Almost all the serious players use Sanwa in their better sticks, Hori as a few Special Editions that use Seimtsu instead. When it boils down to it Sanwa and Seimtsu is alot like comparing Coca-cola and Pepsi, choose the brand you prefer more they are both the same flavor, cola. Sanwa and Seimtsu are known for quick and precise response.

Now if you want Durability you want Korean or even American/European style parts that can take much more abuse. American/European parts like IL or Happ can take some some serious long time abuse, they are made to be mounted in thicker wooded panels with easy to replace microswitches that do not require disassembly.

If you actually read my guide it ended off with various lists of sticks I might recommend.
    Conclusion.

Reading down this guide gives you basic information on each stick. I encourage future buyers to do additional research on there stick before continuing.

My top picks. (Each Category is 1st on top scaling down)

Budget Stick Choices:
    1: Mad Catz SE series $59.99 (That includes the TvC and WWE Sticks)
    2: Hori VX/V3 (not the Hrap VX/V3 Pro SA sticks)
    3: Mad Catz TE $149.99

Modding Projects (Japanese Stye Parts):
    1: Mad Catz TE $149.99 or Mad Catz TE S $159.99 to 179.99
    2: Mad Catz SE $59.99
    3: Hori VX/V3 Pro SA
    4: Hori VLX $299.95

Modding Projects (US/Euro Stye Parts): PS I don't recommend US/Euro Parts to newbies.
    1: Custom Case (I am serious) / MAS or a similar small company Stick.
    2: Nuby Tech SF Stick (Somewhat of a collectors item)
    3: Pelican "Real Arcade"
    (X-arcade removed from this list)

Modding Projects (Korean Style):
    1. Laugh's Omni $150- $200
    2. Tie: Saulabi SPS 3000 and Saulabi 4k $139.99

My view on Overseas Imports (this is directed to mostly US gamers).
    Sticks found overseas are nice but for a beginner I feel (for the most part) a beginner needs to stick to what they can find Domestically. This does not apply to Regions of the World where you been SOL over ordering good sticks. Keep in mind I have little to no information on finding sticks outside of the US or Japan.
    Keep in mind this list has not been updated so the Mad Catz TE S + and the Mad Catz VS would be up there.
  • Maia420Maia420 Joined: Posts: 2
    If you actually read my guide it ended off with various lists of sticks I might recommend.

I did read everything, but there was almost no mention to octogonal gates, bat tops and even wireless function, that's why I posted my questions.

Anyways, thanks a LOT for your answer, it is really helping me! From what you said I take that it would prob be a better idea for me to just buy a cheap decent ease to mod stick and then just change the parts that I want.

So right now I have narrowed down my options to just two arcade sticks:

1. Hori V3 Pro SA, but I would still have to replace the gate and the stick top.

2. Mad Catz SE, and replace the stick and buttons for Sanwa ones AND the gate.

So this is my last question: Can I get a new Sanwa stick already with the bat top and octogonal gate?? Or do I have to buy the stick and then buy a bat top and a new gate?? Also, any good website to buys this parts that would ship overseas (I'm in Brazil)??

Thank you one more time, and sorry for the trouble.
    You have to get the Octo gate and bat top separately. All Sanwa Sticks are Square Gates by Default.
    Remember to get a adapter for your Bat top so the Bat Top fits the JLF.

The Only sticks right now that offers Sanwa Bat Tops are currently not released yet
    The new Razer Stick and (assumption here) the PDP DC Super Hero's Injustice Stick
  • DandanKDandanK Uninformed Spectator Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm a complete novice looking to buy my first stick, and I'm eyeing a Brawl stick that's selling for roughly $40. Is that about as low as I'm ever going to find one now? I've heard they used to be $30 and have been seen as low as $20. Anyone here have insights on the price fluctuation?
    The $20 price tag was a Christmas sale on Mad Catz own Online store http://store.gameshark.com/
    You may find Brawl sticks for $30 - $40 from various Game Stops from what I am told; my local Game Stop and Best buy don't sell sticks.

Basically Game Stop, Best Buy and Frys are getting rid of old stock.
    Mad Catz them selves? Its just a Holiday sale.
    I am looking into making a quick database for this thread of which PS3 controllers are backwards compatible with PS2 games.
    This applies to Backward compatible PS3 units.

Input is welcomed.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reiterating from the other thread:

For sure NOT compatible:
    - TE Rnd1
    - Anything that uses the Paewang board (Joytron Paewang Revolution, Datel Arcade Pro, etc)
    Current stick: custom Modular ABS stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Puzzle Fighter, Hyper SF2, Vampire Savior 2, SF Alpha/Zero 3, Vampire Hunter 2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • DandanKDandanK Uninformed Spectator Joined: Posts: 5
    The $20 price tag was a Christmas sale on Mad Catz own Online store http://store.gameshark.com/
    You may find Brawl sticks for $30 - $40 from various Game Stops from what I am told; my local Game Stop and Best buy don't sell sticks.

Basically Game Stop, Best Buy and Frys are getting rid of old stock.
    Mad Catz them selves? Its just a Holiday sale.
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that was more or less the case, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Let's see how long it takes before I'm aching to swap out the stick n' buttons.
  • klawwklaww Dirtiest Grawgin Joined: Posts: 190
    So, you kind of mentioned it, but i want to make sure
    The SCV stick SOUL edition on the madcatz site will handle just as well as a SFxT one?
    I liked the artwork and button placement better, but i dont want to find out i bought an inferior stick. @_@
    Terribad.
    PSN: KlawwG
    Steam: Klaww213 hit me up anytime. :3
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    So, you kind of mentioned it, but i want to make sure
    The SCV stick SOUL edition on the madcatz site will handle just as well as a SFxT one?
    I liked the artwork and button placement better, but i dont want to find out i bought an inferior stick. @_@

IMO the Soul Edition is vastly superior to the Strekken stick.
  • LatinoooooLatinooooo Joined: Posts: 16
    [SIZE=20px]TEKKEN™ TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Arcade FightStick™ Tournament Edition S+ [/SIZE]

[SIZE=20px]or[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20px]Major League Gaming - Arcade FightStick™ Tournament Edition [/SIZE]

[SIZE=20px]Any difference?[/SIZE]
  • ExandExand Watching Joined: Posts: 231
    Sticky above for this:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-stick-controller-should-i-buy-read-the-guide-on-pg-1-before-posting.137321/

You'll have to read the sticky above for PCB differences (I don't think there are any but make sure), but the cases are different. The TTT2 TE doesn't have the sides that stick out like the MLG TE and the base plates are different. The TTT2 TE has swappable artwork too. They both have Sanwa parts in them.

The biggest difference (for most users probably) is that the TTT2 TE has a Namco Noir button layout while the MLG TE has a Taito Viewlix layout.
    Currently Playing:
    SSF4 AE | Dota2
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,184
    THEY ARE BOTH DIFFERENT! YET USE THE SAME PARTS.
    YET ONE SAYS + ON IT.
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

• DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,406 ✭✭
    Same internals, different cosmetically.

It's up to you and your budgets.

I recommend you read stickies too.
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,085
    virtua stick high grade
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
    IMO the Soul Edition is vastly superior to the Strekken stick.
    I'll bite, why you feel one stick is better than the other.

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S2, on Tap Talk 2
    I'll bite, why you feel one stick is better than the other.

Build quality, ease of modding, button & joystick layout. Even the game it's promoting is better. Hah!
  • klawwklaww Dirtiest Grawgin Joined: Posts: 190
    Yeah, the button placement looks way better than the straight line. Just from looking at it. Don't have it yet. Thursday. Squee~
    Ease of modding? Is the artwork easy to replace?
    Terribad.
    PSN: KlawwG
    Steam: Klaww213 hit me up anytime. :3
    Ease of modding? Is the artwork easy to replace?

Easier to dual mod with a wider variety of boards, and you don't need to invalidate the warranty just to put a loose quick disconnect back in place. Although artwork might be a tiny bit easier on the Strekken stick as you don't need to remove the 6 button head screws that you find on the the Soul Edition.
    Build quality, ease of modding, button & joystick layout. Even the game it's promoting is better. Hah!
    Easier to dual mod with a wider variety of boards, and you don't need to invalidate the warranty just to put a loose quick disconnect back in place. Although artwork might be a tiny bit easier on the Strekken stick as you don't need to remove the 6 button head screws that you find on the the Soul Edition.
    Okay I can go with that. Considering the Soul Edition Stick is basically a TE with a unusual bezel.
    I am looking into making a quick database for this thread of which PS3 controllers are backwards compatible with PS2 games.
    This applies to Backward compatible PS3 units.

Input is welcomed.
    Just reiterating from the other thread:

For sure NOT compatible:
    - TE Rnd1
    - Anything that uses the Paewang board (Joytron Paewang Revolution, Datel Arcade Pro, etc)

Any one can account for for the following still?
    Round 2 TE (this includes the Blaz Blue, both MvC sticks, Comic Con, Fem Fatale & Gold Evo)
    Neo Geo Stick 2 USB edition (PC/PS3)
    Neo Geo USB Pad for the PS3
    Saulabi sticks.
    PS360 and PS360+ PCBs
    Cronus Adapter
    Various Mad Catz game pads
    Power- A Game Pads.
    UPCB

Confirmed Not Working for Backwards compatibility so far

Mad Catz Street Fighter IV SE
    WWE Brawl stick
    Mad Catz Round 1 TE (includes the white "Asian" TE)
    TEasy
    Datel/Paewang boards
    Mayflash Sticks and Xbox 360 to PS3 adapters
    PDP controllers including the After Glow, Rock candy, PDP's Fight pad and both MK sticks.
    Exar sticks
    XCM adapters
    HDE Xbox 360 to PS3 adapter
    Teensy board, varies on programing used.
    All Windows PC Based HID class USB PCBs that lack button # 13 (Home/Guide)
    Qanba/ Eight Arc Sticks.
    Knock-off USB Saturn Pads
    Knock-off USB SNES Pads

Confirmed Working for Backwards compatibility
    Sony brand Six Axis game pad
    Sony brand Dual Shock 3 Game Pad
    All Hori PS3 sticks (ignoring the sub $50 mini sticks)
    All current Toodles PCBs that have PS3 support. (no idea on the UPCB)
    Cerberus PCB
    Inpin
    Sega brand, Sega Virtua Stick High Grade
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭
    UPCB was abandoned for some reason... I would not expect it to be a reliable backwards-compatible PCB.
    Ultimately, the project was not technically feasible for whatever reasons and it collapsed.
    Toodles was involved with this or knows more about it. He's one of the trained electrical engineers that frequents the forum.
    Someone should probably shoot him an e-mail to get the behind-the-scenes story on the UPCB.

I'll vouch for the Cthulu line. The MC Cthulu hasn't let me down on PS3, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn, Mac or PC. It's a solid piece of hardware and thank goodness the firmware gets updates when it needs it! Very reliable. If you have no intention of going dual PS3/XBox 360, this is the PCB to buy for retro-system needs.
    Any one can account for for the following still?
    Round 2 TE (this includes the Blaz Blue, both MvC sticks, Comic Con, Fem Fatale & Gold Evo)
    WWE Brawl stick
    Sega Virtua Stick High Grade
    Neo Geo Stick 2 USB edition (PC/PS3)
    Neo Geo USB Pad for the PS3
    Saulabi sticks.
    PS360 and PS360+ PCBs
    Cronus Adapter
    Various Mad Catz game pads
    Power- A Game Pads.
    UPCB

VSHG works, confirmed just now with SF Anniversary Collection.
    VSHG works, confirmed just now with SF Anniversary Collection.
    Nice, thank you. I Updated the list above to reflect this.
  • GenericasterGenericaster Stupid Newbie Joined: Posts: 30
    This probably won't mean much, coming from a new user, but I can confirm that the stock Brawlstick™ is not BC-friendly. I ran tests with an 80 GB software-BC PS3, using Raiden III (blue CD-ROM) and Hot Shots Golf 2 (direct download); the stick would not power on.
  • lautikpclautikpc Joined: Posts: 14
    I have the Soul calibur hori stick, but its starting to get old, and im looking to replace it and leave it as a secondary stick.
    Im looking for a high level stick.
    So what should I buy between the
    Hori Fighting Edge
    And the Madcatz Street X Tekken VS Stick?
    lautikpc said:

I have the Soul calibur hori stick, but its starting to get old, and im looking to replace it and leave it as a secondary stick.
    Im looking for a high level stick.
    So what should I buy between the
    Hori Fighting Edge
    And the Madcatz Street X Tekken VS Stick?

Depends what are you looking for.

If the Hori Soul Cal stick getting a little worn in, replace the microswitces and save money, once you get your second stick, it becomes a slippery slope of continuously buying sticks.

I say skip the Hori Fighting Edge, its more gimmick than stick, go for the Mad Catz, ether a VS or TE-S/TE S+
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to buy a new Pad for playing fighting games, i am currently interested on this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057WDD6O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VF9K0Z2SJ1KNNYSH91V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone can tell me if is good enough or there is another option that could be better
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Hecatom said:

I want to buy a new Pad for playing fighting games, i am currently interested on this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057WDD6O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VF9K0Z2SJ1KNNYSH91V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone can tell me if is good enough or there is another option that could be better

That is one of the better options out there it that Hori pad.
  • CookiiNinjaCookiiNinja Joined: Posts: 3
    Hello, I am currently stuck between buying a Qanba Q4RAF and a Madcatz TE stick. The Qanba is on my list because I live in Australia and there are way more local sellers have selling them where for the Madcatz I have to pay over 200 dollars. I am leaning towards the Qanba also because it's dual modded and has Sanwa parts too but I hear it's unlicensed and Sony and Microsoft can make it unsupported with a simple system update....
    There you go. By your own reasoning The Qanba may not work in the future and then you have t replace the PCB any ways.
    Yes the Qanba is unlicensed, but so were the earlier Mad Catz SE and TE for the PS3.

Honestly in the US the Mad Catz TE is $150 to $175 (depending on the model) bran new not incuding the shipping and handling. So assuming there is a 1 to 1 exchange ratio of US to Australian Dollars you only paying 50 bucks more.
    Looking up the exchange rate of US to Australian currency the actual exchange (as of 2/13/20013) is 1 dollar US to 0.97 dollars Australian; you are paying approx $55 more than your US counterparts.

Also I must correct you on 1 thing, The Qanba Q Raf is not Dual-modded, there is a single PCB inside that supports 2 modes. a Dual-Mod would be 2 PCBs one for each system.
    Sometimes you get way you paid for. If it is up to me a say get the Mad Catz, some other people here say get the Qanba. You already got all your facts and figures, you have to out way the pros and cons.
    but I hear it's unlicensed and Sony and Microsoft can make it unsupported with a simple system update....

If that is true then why do you think they haven't done so yet?
    gahrling wrote: »
    but I hear it's unlicensed and Sony and Microsoft can make it unsupported with a simple system update....

If that is true then why do you think they haven't done so yet?
    I do agree with this point. Remember most of the PS3 sticks are not licensed including some of the Mad Catz Sticks.

I can tell you right now the 3rd party PS3 game pads with the Xbox 360 style layout is not licensed.
    rocketfish-header.jpg
    Example of non-licensed game pad.

The PS3 is designed to use generic HID class game controllers, key word there is generic.
    It is why so many meant for PC driverless controllers and adapters work for the PS3.

The reasons the Qanba, Pawewang and PS360 can work on the Xbox 360 is that they cracked the security lock out.
    Microsoft can't update to block unlicensed controllers without blocking out official pads and stills as well.

• CookiiNinjaCookiiNinja Joined: Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I might go with the Qanba for now (It's my first stick and I need a stick for both my consoles).
  • HakuHaku Joined: Posts: 28
    edited February 2013
    Hi and thanks for reading in advance. I just want to ask what's a top of the line stick to buy these days?  My roomie has a Madcatz SF4 Collector's edition piece of crap that I've messed around with. With it I've confirmed that I would much rather prefer an octagonal gate, tournament edition type stick that would be comfortable in lap. Weight isn't a problem, but it has to be very reactive and high quality. I'm willing to spend $200.

It's primarily for playing Umvc3 on PS3 (and eventually also x360 at friend's places), but I'm picking Guilty Gear, KoF, and Virtua Fighter back up in that order. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Post edited by Haku on
  • kriegkrieg Joined: Posts: 25
    Haku said:
    Hi and thanks for reading in advance. I just want to ask what's a top of the line stick to buy these days?  My roomie has a Madcatz SF4 Collector's edition piece of crap that I've messed around with. With it I've confirmed that I would much rather prefer an octagonal gate, tournament edition type stick that would be comfortable in lap. Weight isn't a problem, but it has to be very reactive and high quality. I'm willing to spend $200.

It's primarily for playing Umvc3 on PS3 (and eventually also x360 at friend's places), but I'm picking Guilty Gear, KoF, and Virtua Fighter back up in that order. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    At $200, you can get just about any stick on the market, except for some of the limited release models. Out of curiosity, is the SF4 Collector's edition the SE? And what don't you like about it?  The parts in that are Sanwa clone, and that can affect what your final choice will be.  Right now, you can get a Madcatz TE (in various designs) from the Madcatz store for $99, then get an octagonal gate and you're set.  If the Sanwa buttons turn you off, you can swap them out for Seimitsu and still be under $200.