What are the EVO monitors?

DigitlSamuraiDigitlSamurai Joined: Posts: 77
I've been entering tournaments and like to record the matches in case of disputes. The problem is the HDTV I use uses HDMI, but my capture card doesn't. Everytime I enter a tournament, I have to bring an older, standard definition tv with composite inputs from the other end of the house to the room where I play tournaments. I was thinking I would like to buy a monitor like they have at EVO since it would be portable. Does anyone know what brand the EVO monitors are? And, if they have a composite input that would work well with a capture card, or if using composite inputs on the EVO monitor would introduce input lag since I'm not even sure the EVO monitors are HD or have composite inputs to begin with?

If this wouldn't work, could someone please recommend a different solution like perhaps a flat screen standard def tv that only uses composite so there wouldn't be a lag, or a different capture card that uses HDMI and is not ridiculously expensive.

Thank you
·

Comments

• azprocazproc ^ loves dem Jingle Bells Joined: Posts: 2,789
    Watch this. Starts at about 16:30. EVO 09 monitor is the ASUS VH236H.
    There are no composite inputs on it, but the video should explain what you could do. Basically get an HDMI splitter + capture device.
    You could also find a capture device with HDMI so you won't need the HDFury mentioned there, making it easier than what they suggest.
    Sometimes I open SRK and am forced to say: notto disu shitto agen
    I actually don't play Marvel.
    ·
  • blueNINEblueNINE RPD MCZ Alex Smith Joined: Posts: 1,281
    I think you would be hard pressed to find an HD display that doesn't lag with composite inputs. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know what capture card to recommend. Hopefully someone else will post up with that information.

I will also add that the monitor that Evo used in 2010 is the Alienware OptX AW2210. It lags less, looks better, and has a cool design, but doesn't have built in speakers, is slightly smaller, and costs more. I think it's worthwhile, but they are both good.
    Team Replay'd/Mad Catz!

Please let me know if you need stick mods or repairs!
    ·
  • The_GrouchThe_Grouch Joined: Posts: 33
    Any word on the 2011EVO monitor selection yet?
    ·
  • CarefootCarefoot Careful Gaming At its Finest Joined: Posts: 87
    Any word on the 2011EVO monitor selection yet?

I could ask.
    Humans less ugly when they burn! :mad:
    ·
  • NomadicNomadic just here to rage Joined: Posts: 155
    I could ask.
    would be nice to know!
    Simile!
    ·
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    Composite: only the worst, eh?
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
    ·
  • CarefootCarefoot Careful Gaming At its Finest Joined: Posts: 87
    ASUS VH236H from the past years would likely be the standard unless we are suddenly upgrading to the twice as expensive 1ms vs 2ms delay monitors. Also the 1ms monitors do not all have speakers so its not cost effective. With rebate its a cheap monitor and high quality too boot.
    Humans less ugly when they burn! :mad:
    ·
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,342
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
    ·
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭
    ASUS VH236H from the past years would likely be the standard unless we are suddenly upgrading to the twice as expensive 1ms vs 2ms delay monitors. Also the 1ms monitors do not all have speakers so its not cost effective. With rebate its a cheap monitor and high quality too boot.

It sounds like you are thinking of panel response time and not display lag. Lots of monitors have fast panel response time but still lag badly.
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 27,788 mod
    It sounds like you are thinking of panel response time and not display lag. Lots of monitors have fast panel response time but still lag badly.
    As stated in the New HDTV Lag FAQ:
    RESPONSE TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAG.
    :)
    ·
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any larger monitors than the VH236H that are known to be low lag? And yes, I know about the lag thread but that this is a zillion pages long and not necessarily up to date. There was talk of starting a new one a while back...
    ·