KoF XIII General Discussion: Part II

1555657585961»

Comments

• Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 779
    look up himojoe
    Holding a shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: The Nine Ball of Fighting Games
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • SnaxSnax Joined: Posts: 186
    This is the first time I've really played a KoF game. What's with these half-circle back-forward inputs, like Shen's command grab? Hard as hell to do from a crouching light.
  • KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,659
    History, mostly. And yes, they are a pain ;_;
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
  • Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 779
    Look at it this way: those inputs are far better than the idiocy of the 360 and 720 command grabs that have become a tradition in Capcom's games!
    Holding a shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: The Nine Ball of Fighting Games
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
    720's maybe, but most 360 grabs in Street Fighter are actually only 225 degrees, so they aren't a problem.

How do you learn the flow of this game? Do most characters have strings/ pressure that can lead into hit confirm combos? Regular Kyo, Shen, Terry, anybody really. So far I only know that Kim's standing short can be canceled and haven't figured out other chains.
    Most basic KOF combos go in one of three ways:
    Chain of lights => command normal => special move.
    Close heavy button => command normal => special move.
    Light move, link to close normal => special move.

Examples:
    A = light punch
    B = light kick
    C = heavy punch
    D = heavy kick
    Move x Move = normal canceled into another normal (aka chained)
    Move xx Move = special cancel
    Move, Move = link

Kim: cr.B x cr.B x cr.B x st.B x ff+A xx qcb+B (air)

EX Iori: cr.B x cl.B x f+A xx qcb+P (x3)

EX Iori: cl.C x f+A xx qcb+P (x3)

Karate: cr.A, cl.C x f+B xx qcf+A

Karate: cr.B x st.B x f+A xx dp+C~AB, hcf~uf+B, qcf~hcb+AC

Benimaru: cr.B x cr.B xx qcf+K xx d~u+K
    Makes sense. Are most combos a matter of getting the buttons pushed on time and in the right order? It usually feels like I drop combos because I'm not nearly fast enough, and SFIV's obsession with light light pause medium/ heavy has discouraged me from pushing buttons quickly.

Are there any known active U.S. groups for the Steam version right now? I know the game didn't take off like SFIV, but I really need a break from Ultra.
    That's where you get hung up. SF4 and KOF13 ask you completely different things.

SF4 is very link heavy. The lights chain to each other, but if you chain into a light, you can't special cancel out of it.
    ie. this doesn't work:

Akuma: cr.lp x cr.lp x cr.lp xx qcb+lk, dp+hp

You have to do
    Akuma: cr.lp x cr.lp, cr.lp xx qcb+lk, dp+hp

Or a Ryu classic:
    Ryu: cr.lp x cr.lp, cr.hp xx qcb+K

That "light, light, pause" time you're experiencing is a chain of lights and then a link into a heavier button. Links work because you do Move 1, your character recovers from doing the move before your opponent recovers from being hit => you have a small window to do Move 2 and hit the opponent while he's helpless. So the method is do Move 1, wait for Move 1 to complete, do Move 2.

Linking requires you to be on time because the timing windows are typically really small.

Cancels, by contrast, work by: You do Move 1, input Move 2 while Move 1 is still animating => game cancels the rest of Move 1's animation and begins to do Move 2 (the opponent is still stuck in hit/blockstun). This means the devs can lower hitstun a lot to eliminate most links but still have enough hit/blockstun to assign a pretty large timing window for you to complete the second move in.

The downside is that there's just a lot less animation frames to go through, so you have to be faster with your inputs. KOF's shortcuts are also a lot less lenient than SF4's.

In short, KOF13 asks you to be clean and do whatever you want in time. Being on time to 1-2 frame accuracy is asked far less often.

Nearly everything in KOF13 is a cancel or just juggling the opponent. So don't be afraid to press those buttons quickly, this game is built to demand just that. You need to do the next move while the first is still animating almost always.
    It's tough to figure out how this game works. Short jumps are hard to do consistently and there are no medium attacks to poke.
    Who do you play?
    I've just been doing the obvious choices. Shen, Kim, Kyos, trying Robert.
    For Kim you can just poke with cr.B, st.B, st.D, CD. Sometimes sweep. Anything is fine really, even st.C and cr.C have rare moments of usefulness. With EX Kyo you can spam st.B, st.D and just poke with qcf+A rekka (first one only). Single hits are way more viable in the neutral game than in SF4 because there's no focus to just eat them up.
    What are some methods for doing all the jumps? All I've heard of so far is hop by jumping and quickly pulling down, and I don't know if that's the best method either.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Darkness Joined: Posts: 2,739
    Snax wrote: »
    What are some methods for doing all the jumps? All I've heard of so far is hop by jumping and quickly pulling down, and I don't know if that's the best method either.

Practice all of the jumps gradually over time. With hops, you tap up in the direction you wish to travel. Hyper hops, you you quickly press down and then lightly tap up. Super jumping is where you essentially hold up after inputting down quickly. Be sure to watch Dandy J's KOF tutorial carefully on this subject.

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• freelanderfreelander Joined: Posts: 56
    hi guys
    why is that like 40% of the time I HD activate out of a light attack, the heavy punch doesn't come out automatically?
    I lost a lot because of this. I do fine when I have to activate from a heavy. But when it's a low, it's like half the time the C comes out and half the time doesn't.
    edited October 2014
    freelander wrote: »
    hi guys
    why is that like 40% of the time I HD activate out of a light attack, the heavy punch doesn't come out automatically?
    I lost a lot because of this. I do fine when I have to activate from a heavy. But when it's a low, it's like half the time the C comes out and half the time doesn't.
    You input BC too late upon using the normal to cancel into HD. If you input BC earlier after the normal, the heavy normal will not come out. If you input BC too late then that's when the heavy normal does come out when you enter HD mode.

He was asking the exact opposite: How to get the cl.C to come out consistently :P
    Komatik wrote: »
    He was asking the exact opposite: How to get the cl.C to come out consistently :P

I already gave that explanation to him. He needs to time the BC input later. Insert random :P here.

Misterio v. Xiaohai FT10 @ www.twitch.tv/cong_stream
  • Rugal 3:16Rugal 3:16 Weisinger's disciple Joined: Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kinda pissed that SRK didn't even post the IGT results on the News Feed even when they posted the "currently streaming" part of it.. maybe because USF4 took a backseat to the KOF games??

I'm so used to double elimination tournaments that i now find single elimination formats kinda wierd but IGT was fun as heck.. and Misterio stepping up to "Shin" Xiaohai that had been dominant since Evo of last year is truly a sight to behold

does that mean Misterio has Surpassed Bala as the "Supposed" greatest KOF player alive today?

still i gotta see that FT10 between Xiaohai and Misterio.. is that after Evo?
    Kurt Buseik: I am a Marvelite at heart, and I like Thor. So it did pain me to see Thor go down. However, in the depths of my heart, I knew this was the way it should turn out. Not because Superman is THE icon, but because even a post-Crisis Superman would win. Many will bring up Thor's ability to create vortexes and all of the other neat tricks Mjolnir can do, but Thor's history is to head in fist and hammer first, and unless he is on the ropes, Thor rarely utilizes his other abilities. I did find Superman's recognition of Thor as maybe his single greatest opponent an appeasement in light of Superman having died at the hands of Doomsday.

"As for Superman and Thor, it's like he said -- where he comes from, the dials go up to eleven. Superman is stronger and faster, which is probably more about the scales of power in the universe he comes from, but it was enough to let him win a very tough battle. If they fought again tomorrow, it might go the other way. Since being more powerful doesn't make you a better character, I don't see it as a slight on Thor, just as the way things are..."
  • MemnafroMemnafro Joined: Posts: 2
    I have a question... Does anyone play this game on Xbox Live anymore? I just purchased the game, and no one was online, and I kind of want to learn the game.....
    Xbox Live online is self-torture so no one sane plays it anymore. You'll have better luck on Steam.
  • TerryKazama162TerryKazama162 I'm Otakus, Gamer, Rockers etc. Joined: Posts: 3
    :wink: Great
    I Know KOF XIII is pretty much dead (if not completely dead) but i'll still post some tournament reviews and player analysis once i get the time even when no one is replying (so a heads up tp that)

Most recent tournament i saw were IGT 2015 and Stunfest 2015 i'll post my opinions on that shortly.

Loyal KOF-er here.
    Kurt Buseik: I am a Marvelite at heart, and I like Thor. So it did pain me to see Thor go down. However, in the depths of my heart, I knew this was the way it should turn out. Not because Superman is THE icon, but because even a post-Crisis Superman would win. Many will bring up Thor's ability to create vortexes and all of the other neat tricks Mjolnir can do, but Thor's history is to head in fist and hammer first, and unless he is on the ropes, Thor rarely utilizes his other abilities. I did find Superman's recognition of Thor as maybe his single greatest opponent an appeasement in light of Superman having died at the hands of Doomsday.

"As for Superman and Thor, it's like he said -- where he comes from, the dials go up to eleven. Superman is stronger and faster, which is probably more about the scales of power in the universe he comes from, but it was enough to let him win a very tough battle. If they fought again tomorrow, it might go the other way. Since being more powerful doesn't make you a better character, I don't see it as a slight on Thor, just as the way things are..."
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    speaking of stunfest 2015 ----> whole tournament(i think) for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm kinda dissapointed in Misterio's Top 3 performance, the guy DOMINATED at IGT 2014 and handed Xiaohai his a$$, and he was even killing it in the matches leading to the top 3, ghe looked even much stronger than Tokido did at that point but i don't know what happened.. he choked i was so ype for Tokido vs Misterio and when it happened Tokido handily beat him with practically just chin (to be honest his Duo lon and Claw iori were at a disadvantage at first) and the match with frionel was a bit intense but Misterio dropped combos here and there it was dumbfounding. be back with more later

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,553
    New KOF announced:

10929232_1623401571238966_1831622994726048036_n.jpg?oh=440e72f697e496c7c26b9fb48e5656f2&oe=55FDC748
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,553
    New KOF announced:
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    new kof confirmed ? So how long before we get an official announcement ?
    doesn't make sense to create so many char models just to use them for one pachinko advert.
    They use them for the pachinko machine itself. The machines are flashy as helll.
    KOF XIII Evo Side Tournament Update
    ========================================
    So far, we have 44 registered players for the community ran KOF XIII side tournament at Evo 2015. If you are most likely going to go, please register HERE!

The community composed of community old-schoolers, local tournament organizers, and well known streamers is working hard to bring you a hype Evo experience for KOF. Pools will be held at the BYOC area; all setups will be head-to-head. The pools will be run by many members of the KOF community and streamed by The Kings of Co. The KOF suite will be up and running after pools, courtesy of NeoPenny. Top 8 will be brought to you by non-other than MarkMan and company at the MadCatz booth.

Pools start at noon on Friday July 17th and top 8s’ time is still TBD on Saturday. Jacuzzi, check. Two floor suite, check. Lots of room, check! This is how NeoPenny is rolling out the KOF suite!!

To be able to participate in KOF you only need a spectator pass that you can get HERE, you only have until the 30th to get it!

KOF fans, we do need your help! We haven’t secured a bonus pot for this event so we are looking to all of you for help. Please donate here. If you do choose to donate, please a “Pot Bonus” note to the donation. If you donate, many, many thanks in advance!!!

Source http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/06/kof-xiii-side-tournament-updatepot-bonus-fundraiser-texas-matches
    =======================================

If there are no Cafe ID KOFers coming (like MadKOF etc) then I would expect the following to win (if they join)

Misterio
    Tokido (If he joins since he sure as hell will be at Evo)
    Xiaohai (same as above)
    Xian (same as above and will most likely win if the three on top doesn't join for whatever reason)
    Luis Cha
    Romance
    Mr. KOF (such a shame as he was on the same level as Reynald in years past)
    Luffy ( I hope he joins since he also casually plays KOF and was able to make it to the finals in hypespotting against Tokido.. Too bad no Rose Tech for him in this game though )

I expect locals

Mario E
    Ziwa
    Vicio
    Chris G (he mostly joins and dominates if the upper echelon doesn't join, props to him as he still hasn't fully dropped the game)
    Flocker (like chris G to a lesser extent)
    Kaneblueriver (Like above)
    Chris KOF
    Yoshi
    Khanibalito

Reynald has gone the Bala way and had dropped of the face of the earth

we very likely won't see any other international players like

MadKOF
    Verna
    Gutts
    Guts
    ET
    Fox
    Frionel
    Salim
    Yang Yao Ren

Xiaohai, Reynald, Oogosho, Ren, and 69 others confirmed for #KOFXIII at #EVO2015

Some people are a bit crazy.

Just a little.

Some people will travel and take days off work, to lose potentially hundreds of dollars, just to go play video games.

Some of these people will not only lose that but incur the cost of travelling and registration, not to mention hotel accomodation and food.

These people will fight, sweat and bleed…

just for a damn side tournament.

Oogosho, the chef, the legend from Japan, winner of SF4 Arcadia cup with team KOF, returns to EVO, and even if he wins, still loses, financially.

Source: http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/07/reynald-oogosho-ren-and-69-others-confirmed-for-kofxiii-at-evo2015

I know it had been months but Congratulations Xiaohai, good thing his victory at Evo is much well received this time as opposed to last year at Evo when almost everyone was rooting for Tokido

• Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    If there's anybody willing to help me learn this game on XBL, send me a PM and we can sort out details there. Thanks.

• rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,927
    i'm starting a kof discord server for matchmaking purposes.
    If there's anybody willing to help me learn this game on XBL, send me a PM and we can sort out details there. Thanks.

the game is a piece of shit on console netplay. if you want to learn, get the steam version and join us on the discord server.
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • Max_The_ScrublordMax_The_Scrublord Joined: Posts: 204
    rogueyoshi wrote: »
    i'm starting a kof discord server for matchmaking purposes.

the game is a piece of shit on console netplay. if you want to learn, get the steam version and join us on the discord server.

Sorry, I don't have a gaming PC.

• AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 407
    Hey everyone,

Ever since last night, my game on PS3 won't have any audio from the start, and earlier today it also stopped registering my B and D inputs. I don't know what the hell is up. I uninstalled and re-downloaded the game but it didn't help. Has anyone had a similar problem with the PS3 version? What did you do to fix it?

Sorry if this is a weird place to bring this discussion to, but I didn't know if it was kosher to start a whole new thread just for this topic.
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa

;_; it's been so long since I've played MBAA