The Android thread. Questions, comments, help, etc.

RoninChaosRoninChaos Treading PaperJoined: Posts: 4,091 mod
I know a lot of folks here have android based phones on this forum, and I wanted to get a thread going for it. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, but the guys at the XDA Developers forum are fucking geniuses when it comes to this shit.

I just finished running two rooted Captivates on the Cognition Rom set, and just recently I was given an HTC Inspire from work. The stock gui is okay, but I rooted it (Pain in the ASS compared to the captivate) and installed Android Revolution HD 5.1.9 with a complete theme overhaul, and sense 3.0 weather, lock, live wallpaper and SMS hacks.

Tomorrow at work we're going to see what we can do with the Samsung Infuse and the Motorola Atrix.

Anybody else here running android phones with flashed ROMS?

Also, if anybody here has a phone that will run unknown sources, get the amazon android marketplace. Free apps everyday. Good ones too, not just some bullshit.
-[E.M.S. for life]- -[Da Foot Clan]- -[Kobra Kai]-

Fuck Dan Marino

"Let's get shit straight: NOTHING can protect you from Ronin." -- Ducky

Making use of my "I am a bitch" card right now, please acknowledge it. -- OMFG

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.

Comments

• jballa1jballa1 Can't handle this sh** Joined: Posts: 28
    I actually run Gingerbread on my HD2 I'm probably looking to get the Sensation soon after it comes out on Wednesday
    Av by str[e]ak
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Anyone having choppy playback of youtube videos on their android phone? I have s DROID X on android 2.3

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • SMBSMB Crackin' some NUTS! Joined: Posts: 1,725
    I always get slight lag when watching any YT videos. There's a YT downloader that you can get from Amazon (might still be free). Instead of streaming the video directly from YT it just downloads and saves the video to your phone/SD card. Makes playback seamless.

I had my Droid 2 ROM Flashed a few weeks back so I can use 2.3.3 and the new Netflix app. Phone worked great for a week or two, then one day I restart the computer and it went fucking crazy. Couldn't get it to restart successfully, wouldn't boot out of the loader, and froze on the Droid eye start up screen. Wound up having to remove the ROM and factory reset. Couldn't find any help on numerous Droid forums, so back to 2.2 for me.

I love my phone but now it's having problems downloading apps. After two weeks of not being able to install new or updated apps I called Verizon. They recommended another factory reset. After syncing and getting everything back onto my phone I can't download my favorite game (Robotek). Thankfully my contract is up for renewal in a few months.

I've been really happy with my phone, and I've always liked Motorola's products so I'll probably be going with the DX2 when I renew.
    You know, if you watch Jaws backwards, its about a shark that throws up so many people... they have to open a beach.

Thanks de BLOO.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,714
    Is there any way to improve Wifi on these things? I understand range limitations on networks and such, but I'll have a solid connection for hours on end if I barely touch, but if I do heavy usage (Tapatalk/Youtube/frequent Kakaotalk messages), the Wifi just seems to lock up, nothing gets transmitted. I'll get connection errors on everything, but my phone will stay connected to that specific SSID until I turn off wifi manually. When I restart wifi, it works perfectly.

Droid 2 here. I've noticed anyone I've been around with the Galaxy S here in Korea hasn't experienced problems like this, or even some of the smaller android phones (I don't even know the brands to mention). They're of course, using 3G, but I even have these problems with 3G, where suddenly my 3G icon will stay stuck in uploading, but nothing will come through at all. Only way I have remedied it right now is to turn on Airplane mode, and it takes a good 30 seconds for it to go into that from that state, then another 30 seconds to come out of Airplane mode and pick up 3G signal.

I'm also not using 3G while I'm in Korea, only Wifi, but I figured since I'm bringing up the wifi problem, might as well bring up both.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • RoninChaosRoninChaos Treading Paper Joined: Posts: 4,091 mod
    What all do you have running on your droid, MP?

Fuck Dan Marino

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.
  • KoopKoop SRK - D.M.V. OG™ (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 5,487 mod
    i have a thunderbolt... yaaay?

words wit srk friends: Ac_Koop

should i post my apps?
    Respected... simple as that.
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm running the first Droid with 2.2, but it's been REALLY sluggish lately. Loading up sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to load all my icons. Is there any recommendations for any custom roms I should be running?

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • sait0usait0u Joined: Posts: 1,151
    I don't have an Android nor a smartphone. I normally see my friends use "Applanet" or App Planet for apps.
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,043
    I currently have a Nexus S and Nexus One. Both were previously rooted but not anymore. I have no reason to and now use them mainly for wireless tethering and e-mail/social media.
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
  • spideymanspideyman Much Luv to the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i think i'm going to pick up the Evo 3d at the end of the month. anyone hear any good/bad things about the phone?
    Much love to the midwest.
  • ''Rugal.B''''Rugal.B'' MORTON'S CEO MD/VA Joined: Posts: 1,188
    Well depending on if they make the bootloader unlocked then go for the 3d. I root all of my stuff so it would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't get nand unlocked.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Xanadu Games
    410-501-5040
    3921 Suite B Vero Rd
    Baltimore 21227 MD

xanadu_games
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    Have a rooted Thunderbolt running BAMF. It's legit but the battery is balls. Have to do a ton to keep it alive.
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • pplcallmeGODpplcallmeGOD Regulator Joined: Posts: 216
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy SII on AT&T. Running stock with Launcher Pro and this phone is blazing fast, shits on my old 3GS. I Would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about this phone. I'll say though that anyone who buys this phone won't be disappointed. Everything about this phone is top quality. Also phone has an unlocked bootloader so those into custom ROMS don't need to worry about a lack of them in the future.
    Never forget. 2/12/09
    Fuck Adam Sessler!
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    Just bought an LG 670 (Optimus S through Sprint) off ebay for 75 bucks. Pretty excited.
    I'll be happy to finally get rid of my Blackberry curve.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So I got prompted by my htc evo to install gingerbread yesterday so I did it...now I wish I hadn't. It is so ugly and lame. Does anyone else have it? The animation on the clock is so annoying, and the phone lock password keypad went from being translucent to this really horrid pasty white crap.
  • MonteMonte Well-Known Member (2 ur mom) Joined: Posts: 2,807
    I got an atrix a couple months ago. It's my first smartphone and so far I love it. Sometimes I forget I have a computer because I can pretty much do everything with my phone and with the dual core power and massive amount of ram I can do it all without any problems. Hopefully people on xda find a way to bypass the locked bootloader and it gets the ability to load custom kernels. that's the only thing I don't like about the phone. Everything else about it is perfect for me.

EDIT: if anybody got any puzzle game recommendations for me I would appreciate it. I already played the hell out of bubble buster and I'm looking for a magical drop/critter crunch clone if anybody knows of one.
    We hacked an Atrix yesterday. You can do custom roms on them.

Fuck Dan Marino

• MonteMonte Well-Known Member (2 ur mom) Joined: Posts: 2,807
    We hacked an Atrix yesterday. You can do custom roms on them.

right now they're just psuedo roms, though. they're not full blown custom roms like other phones have. looking at the feedback threads they don't really seem worth the effort to me to install. i don't hate motoblur so much that I would want to deal with the potential headaches that some people have. however, things are looking good for cyanogenmod to come to the atrix when motorola pushes out the gingerbread update though so i'm definitely waiting for that.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,714
    Ronin, main apps I use are Facebook, YouVersion, KakaoTalk, Youtube, Twitter, and Tapatalk. Also use Opera for my browser. Ebuddy gets used on rare occasion. Also replaced the default text app for handcent.

Signed,
    Everybody
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Anyone here who have used both tell me what's the better messaging client, Kakaotalk or Whatsapp? A lot of my friends and I would love to either reduce the amount we pay for texting, or get rid of our texting plan all together. Most of us have Android devices with a few Blackberries and iphones here and there. Is their any fundamental differences between the two? I would appreciate any input.
    Never forget. 2/12/09
    Fuck Adam Sessler!
    I have never used whatsapp, but I do like KakaoTalk. You can have it set up to find friends already in your address book, as well as new people you add. Decent list of features, sending multimedia (video, pictures, voice clips). Really popular over here in Korea at least. If I see someone on an iphone or android phone over here, chances are they're using it.

Signed,
    Everybody
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    Was browsing the android games on Amazon. Omg. So many little cute anime style RPG's and Dungeon Crawlers.

Very excited about my getting my android. haha.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i got a sky vega x running froyo, i'm prob not gonna try fucking with it too much bcuz i don't know anywhere near enough korean to decipher the necessary sites/instructions.

people outside of korea use kakaotalk? for some reason i thought it was mainly an asian app.

the new galaxy is so fucking fresh.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    I prolly won't get the best answer for this but I'll try anyway. I know next to nothing about Android, but I think I'll upgrade to a smartphone next month. Out of these models, which are the best ones to choose from? http://www.nttdocomo.com/features/newseries/index.html

(I'd like more than one recommendation, just in case they're out of stock or the best model is too expensive)
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    I prolly won't get the best answer for this but I'll try anyway. I know next to nothing about Android, but I think I'll upgrade to a smartphone next month. Out of these models, which are the best ones to choose from? http://www.nttdocomo.com/features/newseries/index.html

(I'd like more than one recommendation, just in case they're out of stock or the best model is too expensive)

Galaxy S II. I would love to give you more but this phone is honestly one of the best on the market. Mainly because Samsung doesn't really care too much about rooting.

Plus it's dual core.
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
    the s2 by a mile.

Fuck Dan Marino

• ZephyrZephyr The West Wind Joined: Posts: 313
    Okay, I had a MyTouch3G (I believe that's an HTC Magic?) that I used for a bit before I upgraded to the 4G. My girlfriend's phone died on her, so I gave her the 3G to use until her plan was up.

After DLing an update, the phone no longer charges while its on, and for the life of us we can't figure out why this is happening. >_<
    I can get more info tomorrow if people need that as I'll have the phone in front of me, but any preliminary guesses as to what's up?
    TCG.Zephyr
    zephyrblayze | Subscribe on YouTube | twitch.tv/zephyrblayze
    You didn't accidentally bend back the charging pins in the charging port did you? That shit happens a LOT.

Fuck Dan Marino

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anyone figured out how to change the keypad on the screen lock in gingerbread? It is so frakking ugly now it gets me so mad every time i unlock my phone
  • ointmentsointments Mr. Clean Up Joined: Posts: 384
    I'm running the first Droid with 2.2, but it's been REALLY sluggish lately. Loading up sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to load all my icons. Is there any recommendations for any custom roms I should be running?

I still run an OG Droid too with ChevyNo1's GB 5.4 ROM. It's the best Gingerbread ROM I've found for the Droid IMO, I haven't noticed any significant bugs on it.
  • mastermindmastermind BACON STRIPS Joined: Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Running CyanogenMod 7.0.3 on my Glacier (MyTouch 4G). Rooted it the second day I had it and I haven't gone back to the stock Froyo ROM since.
    -mastermind. NEXT TIME, WE EAT FIGHT STICKS.

SF2 code: t+ c(+) T-@+ r f(++) g@+ m? s->++ v+ M- n--:-- o+
    Anybody who is going to be in the market for a new phone in a couple months and is interested in custom ROMS would be happy to know that MIUI AND Cyanogenmod are close to being fully functional on the Galaxy SII. Both ROMS should be fully working and available in a couple weeks, and Cognition, VillainROM, and Lightning ROM are available right now in the mean time. By the time the US variants come out, barring any extreme customizations, their should be a wealth of ROMS available for it shortly after release. Glad I bought my SGSII, best hardware in the market, and a large choice of ROMs available unlike most AT&T smartphones. Plus only paying $10 a month for unlimited data is awesome.
    Never forget. 2/12/09
    Fuck Adam Sessler!
  • SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    Anyone got any good sites for android Live Wallpaper downloads? How about clock widgets?
  • daydaydayday BalletOfDestruction Joined: Posts: 2,191
    You can now get amazon app store installed on a select few AT&T phones without jumping through any hoops.
    Only these 4 so far.
    • HTC Aria™
    • Samsung Infuse™
    • HTC Inspire™ 4G
    • Samsung Captivate™
    Luckily I have the Captivate so I can use it. I was currently only able to use the amazon app store for my Galaxy Tab.
    If you are into podcasts, get the free paid app of the day off of amazon appstore.
    It is called "Pocket Casts", and is the best podcast app by far that I have used for android. I tried 3 others before and gave up, this one is more intuitive on subscribing to the ones you find. Beyond Pod was a headache for me so I gave up on the free version, I never bought the paid version.

I already subscribed and downloaded 4 podcasts, where beyond pod I had to find the damn RSS feed and manually enter it. This app, you search by name.

It has got 17 hours left before it goes back paid.
  • AcEtUrNeDjOkErAcEtUrNeDjOkEr SRK Barbershop DJ Joined: Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Got a OG Droid; Droid X and waiting on the mail to get my Asus EEE Pad Transformer Tablet. Figure I'd use PDANet with my Droid X to get unlimited (for now) internet through bluetooth connection to the tablet (since I will NOT pay $20 a month for 2GB of data....Fuck you Verizon)

Tried Netflix mobile over the weekend and i'm actually impressed. Watched a number of movies with little/no buffering other 3G in NC.
    Koop: omg fail fail fail... u cant drive a kia soul windows down pumpin.......
    mc hammer pumps an a bump
    Aceturnedjoker: WTF! LMAO
    Normal Tuesday conversation with Koop on GTalk...LOL
  • kitsunisankitsunisan I need alcohol Joined: Posts: 3,231
    Anyone with a MT4G/Desire/Desire HD, Evil D and co. are bringing the official Sensation rom over to our phones. I've been running Virtuous Fusion, a Sense 3.0 build from leaks, for the past few weeks and have been very impressed with it. Can't wait to see how it runs built off of the official rom.
    DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES. THANK YOU - The Community
  • SoupyShoeSoupyShoe Check your training wheels at the door Joined: Posts: 1,490
    I got a samsung EPIC the day it came out....i think it's alright. my first andy phone.
    PSN ID- SoupyShoe

Xbox Live Gamertag- SoupyShoe SRK

THIRD STRIKE ONLINE- MARSHMALLOW RYU ALL DAY

PLEASE RELEASE CVS2 ON XBL/PSN MARKETPLACE :wasted:
    just picked up an Evo 3D. my first non-apple phone in the last 3-4 years. the whole android os is new too me. any tips or tricks for a noob?
  • AcEtUrNeDjOkErAcEtUrNeDjOkEr SRK Barbershop DJ Joined: Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Got my Asus eee Transformer last night and so far this thing kicks ass! Was worried at first about the size of it (10.1 vs 7) but for my big hands it feels natural. Most apps from my phone were downloaded to the tablet after setting it up and tethering the pad to my droid x was simple. No PDANet needed, the bluetooth connection handles it right out the box.

I did find a couple of programs (XBMC Remote) that didn't scale, but for the most part 80-90% of my apps did.
    Koop: omg fail fail fail... u cant drive a kia soul windows down pumpin.......
    mc hammer pumps an a bump
    Aceturnedjoker: WTF! LMAO
    Normal Tuesday conversation with Koop on GTalk...LOL
  • Saint Gut FreeSaint Gut Free Shadow Government Joined: Posts: 678
    I had an Eris for a year that I ran Nonsensikal ROM on. This was perfect.

I now have an INC2 and am patiently waiting for root. Stock the phone is almost perfect...just want to get rid of the bloat and run Ad Free. I'm not even sure if there will be a need to OC. I am leaning towards no.
    Think you've got what it takes to be an assassin?
  • kitsunisankitsunisan I need alcohol Joined: Posts: 3,231
    @Spideyman, hit up XDA and learn about rooting your phone. Even if you don't want to mess around with custom roms and themes, it'll let you remove a large amount of bloatware from your phone and give you the ability to use programs like Adfree and Titanium Backup, really worth the effort.
    DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES. THANK YOU - The Community
    sounds good. what are some good live wallpapers? do they use up lots of battery running them?
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,475 mod
    Surprised I haven't run across this thread before. I've had my EVO rooted since July. I'm currently running the latest MIUI rom with Amon_RA. I guess I can help out here. If anyone has any root/Android questions, hit me up.

@spidayman: I wouldn't know what live wallpapers are good, BUT they eat up a considerable amount of battery. Unless you've bought an extended battery for your phone, it's best ot steer clear of live wallpapers, unless you like charging your phone a lot.
  • platinum_pinoyplatinum_pinoy Registered Nurse Joined: Posts: 1,408
    Got my Asus eee Transformer last night and so far this thing kicks ass! Was worried at first about the size of it (10.1 vs 7) but for my big hands it feels natural. Most apps from my phone were downloaded to the tablet after setting it up and tethering the pad to my droid x was simple. No PDANet needed, the bluetooth connection handles it right out the box.

I did find a couple of programs (XBMC Remote) that didn't scale, but for the most part 80-90% of my apps did.

Are you going to root and install a custom ROM? XDA people are already on the case, but I think it might take more time before they optimize honeycomb for the TF.
    You're crazy. Sep's a hella hater. That nigga buys calendars just to rip out February 14th. He won't even masturbate because they call it self-love. -Adam Warlock, Jan 16th, 2009
  • KuyaKuya Old guy - EXTREME Joined: Posts: 963
    sounds good. what are some good live wallpapers? do they use up lots of battery running them?
    http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-app-pixel-zombies-live-wallpaper
    anyone know of a good widget that tells how much battery life you have left in a %. i wouldn't mind a widget or a number in the top bar.
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,475 mod
    anyone know of a good widget that tells how much battery life you have left in a %. i wouldn't mind a widget or a number in the top bar.

Battery Monitor Widget
    Battery Solo Widget is what I use.
    Definitely comes in handy, my Captivate battery meter shows 100% until it goes below 80%. Shows about 80% when it is below 50%.:confused:
  • Radiant93Radiant93 -Radiant- Joined: Posts: 596
    I seem to have issues regarding my Galaxy Tab. For some reason, It's running on the Mobile version of Facebook and not the Android One. How do i Fix it? the mobile version really sux as it doesn't load updates and pictures
    MvC2: MSP / GGXX:AC: Anji Mito / T6BR: Ling Xiaoyu / SF4: El Fuerte / BBCS2: Mu-12

- AV by TetsuAKA -