The Android thread. Questions, comments, help, etc.

Comments

• kitsunisankitsunisan I need alcohol Joined: Posts: 3,231
    Running it where, in the browser? If it's the browser, have you changed the user agent?
    DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES. THANK YOU - The Community
  • versus addictversus addict Casual User Joined: Posts: 622
    ...so I'm waiting for the Samsung GS2 to drop for ATT, now I'm hearing rumors about this badass Nexus Prime phone. Bionic looks cool too.

Also hearing rumors about an LTE ver of the SG2...arrrgh! Somebody needs to release something already...
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    Got my first Android phone a couple of weeks ago, the Xperia Play.
    I'm rocking the full emu romsets for a bunch of consoles and a few converted PSX games (Resident Evil and Saga Frontier 2, using yifanlu's converter that uses the official emulator in Crash Bandicoot) and a few random apps. Overall, much much love for this phone.
    Im not up to date on custom ROM info, so I wanted to subscribe to osmose what I can about it.
  • the mossad manthe mossad man EVIL MAKOTO Joined: Posts: 1,467
    I swear to GOD if Apple doesn't come out with a 4"+ screen I'm jumping ship for the GS2 LTE. Specs sound amazing... And I have a feeling that iPhone 5 wont deliver.... :( I've just about had enough.........................

Any Ex iphone users in here? If so, did you have any trouble making the transition?
    "I call this the lowest common denominator theory"..." you want to do as little as possible necessary to still win. And rather than an embarrassment, this is a major skill."

S.Kill
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,475 mod
    I seem to have issues regarding my Galaxy Tab. For some reason, It's running on the Mobile version of Facebook and not the Android One. How do i Fix it? the mobile version really sux as it doesn't load updates and pictures

You can use a third party browser app like Opera or Dolphin Browser and activate desktop mode from within each app.
  • MonteMonte Well-Known Member (2 ur mom) Joined: Posts: 2,807
    ^^ or he can goto the top of the page where it says more and then select the desktop site option from the pulldown menu.
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,475 mod
    ^^ or he can goto the top of the page where it says more and then select the desktop site option from the pulldown menu.

Pretty any third party browser is better than stock, anyway. =P
  • zerojayzerojay Punching Bag? Joined: Posts: 486
    Got my first Android phone a couple of weeks ago, the Xperia Play.
    I'm rocking the full emu romsets for a bunch of consoles and a few converted PSX games (Resident Evil and Saga Frontier 2, using yifanlu's converter that uses the official emulator in Crash Bandicoot) and a few random apps. Overall, much much love for this phone.
    Im not up to date on custom ROM info, so I wanted to subscribe to osmose what I can about it.

I've got one as well. Thinking about putting out a massively customized ROM with a ton of tweaks, overclocked kernel, some bloat removed, etc...
    ^ That's what a typical dev does. I'm about to move onto the T-Mobile G2X, which is chalk full of AOSP ROMs and AOSP goodness. Default rom has next to no bloatware, but of course I'm going to root it so I can overclock the dual core Tegra 2 processor to 1.55GHz. =D
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,366
    ^ That's what a typical dev does. I'm about to move onto the T-Mobile G2X, which is chalk full of AOSP ROMs and AOSP goodness. Default rom has next to no bloatware, but of course I'm going to root it so I can overclock the dual core Tegra 2 processor to 1.55GHz. =D

So wait........

You're telling me this thing is more powerful(like 3x more powerful) than a PSP which was designed specifically for playing games(Does it have a better graphics chip too)?

Gotdamn......
    My discord didn't work out, quick say something funny so I can add you in the sig!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1090
    So wait........

You're telling me this thing is more powerful(like 3x more powerful) than a PSP which was designed specifically for playing games(Does it have a better graphics chip too)?

Gotdamn......

I'm actually not sure. Your Play has a 1GHz Scorpion processor. Spec vs Spec, I'm not sure how much faster the G2X is over the Play, if at all...
  • MagnusMMagnusM Joined: Posts: 5
    SFA2 on SNES and SFA3 PSX have been fun, but anyone know of any ongoing efforts to support cps3? I want my portable 3S! Especially with the sixaxis and usb support having just been implemented.
    SFA2 on SNES and SFA3 PSX have been fun, but anyone know of any ongoing efforts to support cps3? I want my portable 3S! Especially with the sixaxis and usb support having just been implemented.
    I've personally never heard of any efforts to get CPS3 properly emulated. CPS3 would be nice, but I would image it would require higher-end dual core smartphones to run smoothly...maybe...

*edit* Also, if you guys are on XDA, you can find me on there as tzbigworm, if you want to add me. I need to start lurking in the G2X section...
  • Radiant93Radiant93 -Radiant- Joined: Posts: 596
    Running it where, in the browser? If it's the browser, have you changed the user agent?

The one from the Android Market. After installing it starts of in Android Mode, then after a while, it reverts to Mobile.

You can use a third party browser app like Opera or Dolphin Browser and activate desktop mode from within each app.

Uhmm. Yeah I think I can do that. Thanks. But I really wanted the Android one, Like when you're posting FB Status, it says "from Android"
    MvC2: MSP / GGXX:AC: Anji Mito / T6BR: Ling Xiaoyu / SF4: El Fuerte / BBCS2: Mu-12

- AV by TetsuAKA -
  • Mr PHMr PH Bisu Build Joined: Posts: 265
    What are you guy's top 5 five apps?
    I'd have to list it as: 1. Titan backup 2. Juice Defender 3. Tegrak Overclock 4. Dropbox 5. Super Manager

Have a SGS4g, sadly development isn't as fast as I'd like.

What are some good cross platform multiplayer android games?
  • daydaydayday BalletOfDestruction Joined: Posts: 2,191
    I swear to GOD if Apple doesn't come out with a 4"+ screen I'm jumping ship for the GS2 LTE. Specs sound amazing... And I have a feeling that iPhone 5 wont deliver.... :( I've just about had enough.........................

Any Ex iphone users in here? If so, did you have any trouble making the transition?

I switched from iphone 3GS to Samsung Captivate, it does take a little while to get used to Android. I had iphone 3G before the 3Gs, and got tired of the same interface and changed to Android last August. I gave my 3g to my mom & my 3GS to my sister.

Big boys are dropping on AT&T this month.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 4.3" screen
    HTC "Holiday" 4.5"

I'm picking between those 2 right now, but if Apple came out with a 4" screen I would get the iphone just to switch it up.
    I do not miss the iphone & itunes at all.:razzy:

My tip I just found out tonight is
    1.Get gmob 365 out of the android market and install it.
    2.Select rooms from the top of the internet 1.0 era looking screen:tdown:
    3.Pick apps apps room
    4.There is an app with a Black B, download that app and install it.

It's called Black Market Alpha and has paid apps in it for free ninety nine.

Your device does not have to be rooted.:tup:
  • FazFaz Joined: Posts: 512
    I have a HTC HD2 which runs on Android (Gingerbread) and it's fucking awesome man. The dudes at XDA are genuises, Android runs on the HD2 so smooth words cannot comprehend and the great thing is, the HD2 comes with WinMo 6.5 as standard so this Android build is completely custom by the guys at XDA which is so awesome.

Speaking of which, anyone know any good sites to find upcoming phone releases? It's my upgrade around Nov/Dec time this year and I want an Android phone with a big screen and high specs, I like a powerhouse of a phone. The HD2 has served me well but I'd like to move on, hopefully a 4" HTC Android phone will come out in that time :D I've tried engadget and cnet but I can't find any upcoming releases, anyone care to link me to any? Would be much appreciated.
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
    I have a HTC HD2 which runs on Android (Gingerbread) and it's fucking awesome man. The dudes at XDA are genuises, Android runs on the HD2 so smooth words cannot comprehend and the great thing is, the HD2 comes with WinMo 6.5 as standard so this Android build is completely custom by the guys at XDA which is so awesome.

Speaking of which, anyone know any good sites to find upcoming phone releases? It's my upgrade around Nov/Dec time this year and I want an Android phone with a big screen and high specs, I like a powerhouse of a phone. The HD2 has served me well but I'd like to move on, hopefully a 4" HTC Android phone will come out in that time :D I've tried engadget and cnet but I can't find any upcoming releases, anyone care to link me to any? Would be much appreciated.
    www.phandroid.com
    www.bgr.com
    There is going to be plenty of 4" or greater phones dropping this month.

I have a HD2 as well, sitting on my shelf, but I never ported Android to it. I hated windows mobile on it, shit always had a problem. Screen was definitely not as responsive as the newer capacitive phones. I used it for about a month and went back to my 3GS. Data connection would always turn off and had to reboot the phone. Typing cursor would jump all through the message you were typing for no rhyme or reason.

When it worked, it was a good phone, problem is it didn't work a lot of the times.
    Damn dude, if you had a chance to run Android on it you'd realise for sure how ahead of its time this phone actually was. Thanks for the links anyway, I wanna make sure I make the right choice this time. I got a BB Storm on contract and that was fucking shit, then the HD2 thinking it would be good, fucking shit until I found Android. So this time I'm gonna search long and hard for a GOOD, reliable phone. And if Vodafone don't give me a cheap contract I'm leaving, I've been a customer for over 10 years and they can't even cut no money off for me, the tight bastards!

Thanks for the links once again. Much appreciated :)
    "Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright before they open their mouth"
    Oh shit, I figured you were American until that Vodafone line.
    I have the Galaxy S and I believe it is better than the HD2. Not saying the HD2 running Android isn't a capable phone.

You guys already have the Samsung Galaxy S 2, you should look at that. We are barely getting it.

Good site to compare phone specs is:
    www.gsmarena.com
    Loving my G2X for the WiFi calling. That alone makes it worth the jump from Sprint to T-Mobile that I did.
  • JackTenrac!JackTenrac! Dollar Yen - Level 304 Joined: Posts: 2,808
    - Is there a way to get free tethering with a Xoom Wifi and a Optimus 2x?
    Brett at T7- "Bearrama?!"
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    - Is there a way to get free tethering with a Xoom Wifi and a Optimus 2x?

Are you talking about WiFi tethering to a Xoom from the G2x? Root your phone, install CM7, and use CM7's native tethering app. From what I've heard, T-Mobile hasn't officially done anything to go against users using free tethering, as of yet.
    Oh shit, I figured you were American until that Vodafone line.
    I have the Galaxy S and I believe it is better than the HD2. Not saying the HD2 running Android isn't a capable phone.

You guys already have the Samsung Galaxy S 2, you should look at that. We are barely getting it.

Good site to compare phone specs is:
    www.gsmarena.com
    A cousin of mine has the Galaxy S and I dunno, my history with Samsung has not been the best so I don't really feel comfortable going with them lol. I love HTC Sense a lot too, I think HTC lead the way when it comes to smartphones (just my opinion!). I saw 2 phones that will be running Android that look like some killers though.
    HTC Holiday and HTC Vigor (a bit dodgy this one) but they certainly look like beastly phones. What do you guys think about quad-core processors in phones? I personally think mid 2012 and they'll start to become more common. Dual core processors with 1gb RAM is starting to become pretty standard in a lot of smartphones!

Edit: Just logged onto XDA, some of you might wanna check this out!
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android/upcoming-android-devices-list-for-2011-holiday-season/
    I'm gonna content with my phones for a while. I'm not wanting to wade through the all the Sense all over again for an AOSP rom. This phone has nothing but AOSP roms on it. =D
    Sense looks cool, but I use Launcher Pro on my Galaxy S. I ditched that Touchwiz shit quickly, it was like iphone UI and I left iphone for that reason, tired of it.

I'm trying to get SPB 3D shell to work but it keeps crashing. Shit looks badass.
    Sense looks cool, but I use Launcher Pro on my Galaxy S. I ditched that Touchwiz shit quickly, it was like iphone UI and I left iphone for that reason, tired of it.

I'm trying to get SPB 3D shell to work but it keeps crashing. Shit looks badass.

You should try Regina Launcher. Nice UI, and it won't cost you $15, :lol:
    You should try Regina Launcher. Nice UI, and it won't cost you $15, :lol:
    Dog, did you not see my post about BlackMart Alpha app?
    I got the shit for free.:rofl: Hell no I ain't paying more than $1 for a novelty. I will check that Regina Launcher right now, good looking out.
    Is that the one you use? Have you tried Launcher Pro?
    I like the bottom dock on Launcher Pro, but wouldn't mind a fresh change.
    I see. I have my ways about getting apps for free, Black Market being one of them. You'd be surprised how many end users would throw down $15 for a LAUNCHER! I just suggested Regina Launcher because the UI is a little bit different (mainly transitions) than ADW or LP. I use ADW EX myself.
    $15 is steep, they used to have a nice free one on windows mobile. I wonder why they thought $15 was a good price. I tried that Regina right now, didn't like it. The screen transition was too slow not smooth, like you swiped, then it showed the press on screen, then the screen changed.
    I did like how it showed your app drawer in 3D though, that was the only thing I liked about it.
    Back to Launcher Pro. LOL
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    Bought a Galaxy SII, thanks for recommending it. I also noticed that everyone has the option to post with Tapatalk without that 'Sent from my XX-XXX using Tapatalk' message, but..
    But what? Yout want it, or want to get rid of it? Just open up Tapatalk > Menu > Settings > Tapatalk signature should be the first selection. You can edit it however you like.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,462 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    is there a free alternative to tapatalk? i don't feel like trying to figure out how to put money on my korean android account.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. Virtually all vBulletin forums, with the exception of a few, have the Tapatalk plugin featured on them. I don't know if it's a per-site basis, but I know it's annoying as fuck every time I used to visit a forum through my phone's browser to be greeted by the "This forum is compatible with Tapatalk" BS. I caved...and downloaded the program for free, :lol:
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    After a long run with an HTC Mogul, I got a Droid phone. I really can't compare it because the Mogul was hot shit at the time (cable guys use them here still, it what you sign when they do a work order), and my Droid is an Ascend which is lower end.

Now I expected that some common filetypes wouldn't be supported on Android, but I'm surprised that it find most everything that was in the SD card of my WM6 phone will work/show fine, it even shows the icons for the .CAB's.

I do have one huge complaint; wallpapers suck. I cant just take any random pic I have and use it as wallpaper with an automatic resize. Pretty gay, but I have a great pic (was the also the wallpaper for my Mogul.)

Oh and I found a great program, lets you see your phone on your PC and control it. Good if you have a cracked screen. There a version for Android and Windows Mobile 6, called Mobiler. Used it to get all the info from my Mogul, and it works perfectly. I havent used the Android version, but my experience with the WM version was great.
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
    Holy shit....finally got to play with a SG2 and its pretty badass...

I was waiting for the iPhone announcement to see what platform/hardware I would go with....just trying to decide if I should get the SG2 now or wait for the Nexus Prime announcement coming next week.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/05/samsung-teases-next-weeks-unpacked-offers-a-momentary-glance/

...not sure if I want a phone with a curved screen? OR if the prime will be "that much better" than the SG2.
    Do we even know the specs of the Prime? I'm definitely not digging the curvature of that screen.
    http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/10/07/nexus-prime-specs/

...just speculation however, it seems reasonable. I guess we'll find out for sure Oct. 11th. Some people were saying the Prime will be a Verizon exclusive...which makes no sense since they already have the Bionic.

Prime will also have exclusive ICS OS for a little bit at least.
    I'm hoping my phone will see a port of ICS, but seeing as it's argueably one of the best AOSP dual core phones (LG G2X), it more than likely will.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So does anyone believe Kindle Fire's claim of 8 hours reading, 6 hours video based on the battery life of other android devices? Think they can pull it off?
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    I don't know. The original Kindle was so toned down as far as specs, obviously it had the nice battery life because of that. It all depends on how it handles processes, but seeing that this is a full Android OS with a Kindle Fire UI, it wouldn't differ any.

I'll have to see it to believe it.
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    I purchased Tapatalk from market, and got it setup with my SRK account, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access my PMs. Exactly what do I need to do, what do I need to press or long-press to get to my PMs on SRK?

Using stock, original, unrooted OS on an Xperia Play.
    Honestly, I've had that problem also with Tapatalk. I have to resort to using the browser in order to access PMs, which is slow because it loads the site in full HTML.
    Samsung Nexus Prime announcement today-ish!?

http://www.androidcentral.com/latest-galaxy-nexus-leak-looks-be-best-yet

...looks pretty sick, specs still unofficial. Hmmm
    Problem is it's a Samsung phone. Hardware is always great, but they have a habit of abandoning devices rather than updating the firmware, trying to go the Apple route of making you buy a new phone every year for the latest firmware.
    Anyone on T-Mobile, wait a couple of months before jumping on the Amaze. I'm hearing users have been having issues with it. And there is no wi-fi calling option yet, a T-Mo rep told me it'll be coming in an update soon.
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,043

Android 4.0 FTW.

More information on Android 4.0 and the SDK here: www.android.com
    Google Nexus registration: www.google.com/android
    Galaxy Nexus versus the competition: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s-comparison/
    Overview and more screenshots of Android 4.0: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/google-android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-official/

I'm definitely picking put he Galaxy Nexus instead of going with a WP7 phone. :sweat:

Who's excited to see shitty Moto BLUR or HTC Sense slapped onto Android 4.0? :mad: :nunchuck:
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
    ...damn it, I may have to reverse my stance on Sammy phones. Since this is a flagship phone, it's pretty much guaranteed to get updates, the Nexus One still gets them.
    Just watched the 1 hour presentation, can't wait to get this ported.
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,043
    Google confirms Nexus S will get Ice Cream Sandwich: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/google-confirms-nexus-s-will-get-ice-cream-sandwich-for-real/

Yesssss <--- Nexus S user.

Edit:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus hands-on: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,050
    Bought a Galaxy SII, thanks for recommending it. I also noticed that everyone has the option to post with Tapatalk without that 'Sent from my XX-XXX using Tapatalk' message, but..

Some people like it...how else would you know if I was posting from a mobile device?

Sent from my Care Package using CoDtalk
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris