The Android thread. Questions, comments, help, etc.

Comments

• BigDeweyBigDewey Joined: Posts: 1,931
    I saw an actual TV ad for the Pixel lineup, is Google making a real effort?!

Let's see how long this lasts... :neutral:
  • Optimus124Optimus124 I KILLED THE GOOD PRIME Joined: Posts: 3,524
    At least they are trying. The 6P is the first Nexus device I actually saw non tech people own. The more premium appearance is what market wants. I think Google can do this. That 649 price tag for the Pixel (+120 for the XL) is a hard pill to swallow.

The storage sizes are a bit odd. You have 32 or 128. I wish they would have just done 64GB as the entry level.
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • BigDeweyBigDewey Joined: Posts: 1,931
    They can try but I don't think they'll succeed. Google doesn't have the kind of reputation that Apple has in terms of hardware creation. Apple has built that reputation on years of experience with iOS devices. Even Microsoft is just starting to gain some traction with their Surface devices in the last 2 or 3 years.

Them changing their phone's name from the long-running Nexus line to Pixel doesn't help. Keeping a consistency in brand identity means a lot. The massive price increase and retail/carrier exclusivity doesn't help either.

It's a big risk to start over, but Google better stick with this brand for the long haul if they wanna have a chance. That means not expecting Apple or Samsung numbers even after 2 or 3 years of the Pixel lineup's existence. Google likes to change it's mind often, and that's always been their biggest weakness.

Also advertising, invest shit-loads of advertising into the product. I'm talking iPhone or (in Google's best case) Chrome-levels of heavy marketing.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,044
    Pixels are overpriced AF

650$? Really?
    For what?

I'd rather buy last year's Nexus
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 4,303
    i wonder if all these recalled Note 7s will have their price lowered. and by how much? i'll get one if its under 100 bucks. maybe.
    I wonder if future Samsung products will have longer warranties in order to boost consumer confidence.
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 5,950
    edited October 2016
    Samsung is sending out explosion-proof boxes to everyone who owns a Note 7. I'm sure those boxes and the shipping cost a lot too.

SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Just got a text from VZW
    Free VZW Message: Samsung has announced that the Galaxy Note7 will no longer be sold for safety reasons. We strongly recommend that you power down and exchange your Note7 for another device of your choice. You can exchange your Samsung Galaxy Note7 at go.vzw.com/note7faq. Exchanging your Note7 online instead of visiting a Verizon store will be your most efficient way to get a new device.

Fuck that. I'm keeping mine.

Get your fire extinguisher ready. Just in case
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 24,130
    Just got a text from VZW
    Free VZW Message: Samsung has announced that the Galaxy Note7 will no longer be sold for safety reasons. We strongly recommend that you power down and exchange your Note7 for another device of your choice. You can exchange your Samsung Galaxy Note7 at go.vzw.com/note7faq. Exchanging your Note7 online instead of visiting a Verizon store will be your most efficient way to get a new device.

Fuck that. I'm keeping mine.

Hope you have a snatch two head coin at the ready.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Main thing to do with the Note 7 is not to charge it when you can't keep an eye on it.

Still I don't know what to replace it with. It's gotta have an AD card slot.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,568
    I'm going to try to hold off for the V20. It allows 256gb expandable micro sd storage, and I got the card free from Samsung. Pixel doesn't have extra storage so that's out. Backup plan will be to go back to the S7E I guess, or reactivate my S5 and hold off until March.
    This SRK nonsense will never stop.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 8,882
    Nigga really wants to roll the dice :lol:

I'd get a V20 down the line or maybe hold off til next year for whatever they make. Google disappointing me with the Pixel and axed the modular phone. Will keep my Nexus 6 a bit longer and see what happens in the next year.

Apple probably laughing at Samsung now. (even though their parts are more or less the same)
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    I'm going to try to hold off for the V20. It allows 256gb expandable micro sd storage, and I got the card free from Samsung. Pixel doesn't have extra storage so that's out. Backup plan will be to go back to the S7E I guess, or reactivate my S5 and hold off until March.

The V20 appears to be a solid device. LG makes things that are extremely underrated.

Other than storage, the other thing that annoys me about the Pixel line up is the single speaker for audio. At that cost and the amount of space at the top and bottom it should have been incorporated.
    edited October 2016
    For real though. This is CATASTROPHIC for Samsung. This is about as close as I can come to feeling sorry for an international multi-billion dollar company. Now millions of customers are going to try new brands, and a lot of those customers are likely not to return. I'm gonna try the LG V20.

What's next? They obviously want to move past this as quickly as possible, so can they release a Note 8? Will they just discontinue that line altogether or try to rebrand it?
    edited October 2016
    Hotobu wrote: »
    For real though. This is CATASTROPHIC for Samsung. This is about as close as I can come to feeling sorry for an international multi-billion dollar company. Now millions of customers are going to try new brands, and a lot of those customers are likely not to return. I'm gonna try the LG V20.

What's next? They obviously want to move past this as quickly as possible, so can they release a Note 8? Will they just discontinue that line altogether or try to rebrand it?

Google did it with the Nexus, so I can see that happening. The Pixel is coming out during this situation is in Google's favor. I am sure they'll pick up a few sales from the fall out.
    Samsung already has a 100 different lineups, they'll surely come up with something in terms of damage control to prevent the public from associating new phablets with the ill-fated Note 7
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    So I held off on getting mine since I thought it would have been sorted by mid October like they said.

Shall I upgrade to S7 Edge, or just stick with the Note 4 and go PAYG?
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    Samsung already has a 100 different lineups, they'll surely come up with something in terms of damage control to prevent the public from associating new phablets with the ill-fated Note 7

The irony is that I felt they needed to drop a device or two, but not the Note. I loved the pen :/
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,309
    im done with LG phones. Much as I love them, the headphone/charger ports always end up having issues. Has happened to me on my v10, g3 and g2(every lg phone ive owned)
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • k4polok4polo Your Lethal Assassin Joined: Posts: 4,502
    edited October 2016
    Buying your best friend a Note 7. Gift or danger?
    Post edited by k4polo on
    "Where there is light, there's a shadow"
    SFV: Nash, Karin, Cammy, Urien
    USFIV: Rolento, Poison, Seth
    MK X: Kotal Kahn, Mileena
    UMvC3: Nemesis, Felicia, Strider
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You'l have 1 less friend ngga
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

edited October 2016
    I went with the S7E. Getting a $100 credit to my bill for the exchange, and after using it as a loaner I'm ok with it for two years. It's basically a Note 7 with better battery, no Spen, and slightly smaller screen. I'll live, but man that Note 7 was awesome while it lasted.
    Post edited by chadouken! on
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
    edited October 2016
    Hotobu wrote: »
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

The irony is that I felt they needed to drop a device or two, but not the Note. I loved the pen :/

This. I get a 20%-30% discount off of any contract because of the company I work for, with the Note 7 I was told 20% so I'm assuming new phones will be towards the lower end. I've also been offered an additional 10% for being a long term customer. I said I wasn't getting another contract again, but the temptation is there. The S7 Edge is a very good phone, no doubt, but I purposely held off for the Note 7... My Contract ends next month. Unless I just get the S7 Edge and put a PAYG in the Note 4 and use both...
    Lol
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
    Hmm dunno what to do.

Contract is finished. Dunno if there's any phone upgrade to from the Note 4, since I had waited for the 7.

There's Sim Only, where I get 20gb data, unlimited calls/texts/abroad for $27. Then I get a 15% discount because of the company I work for.

32GB Note 4 and 64 memory card full. So I guess I can buy a 128gb and go Sim Only... Or upgrade to S7 Edge? (Or iPhone 7... Ew).

What you guys think?
    At this point I'm going to say fuck it, get my refund and go back to my cracked Note 5. Hopefully they'll continue the Note line or another phone will come up that's up to par with the 7.
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,501
    I've had both S7 edge and Note 7 and I'd say they're almost identical with just a few changes here and there. It just depends on if you really rely on using the S pen.
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,305
    I still take a Note 7 over the iPhone 7.

But I got the Galaxy S7 instead
    Never pay double the retail price
    I'm using the S7 Edge and I like it a lot. Best phone I've had other than the Note 7, RIP.

That said, if I were in your position at this point I'd try to hold off a few months for the S8.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
  • RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME Trumpologist Joined: Posts: 1,225
    I'm still using a Sony xperia z3c that I've dropped too many times. I really like Sony phones and their battery capacity and was going to buy the z5 next until I heard about Google's flagship phone.

One thing I actually don't like about the pixel is the glass backing. That seems like it's made to crack. I know it's for a better WiFi etc. Also a bit pricey. I can see a price drop in a few months after declining sales. It's the best Android phone but most people will spend big bucks on the new iPhone 7.
    edited November 2016
    Hmm, well since going to Sim Only. They said I can upgrade to a phone within 3 months.

So I basically have to stick with my Note 4 or find another phone. I don't use the S Pen that often anymore, but I like the screen size. Since getting the Note 2, I've only used the Notes, hence my frustration.
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,236
    edited November 2016
    I just got a pixel since I got a bunch of credit for a new phone. In all didn't cost me even $200. I don't ever put a lot of stuff on my phone so the external storage wasn't a deal breaker. I never filled up my S5.

In all though I like it. Real only complaint I can see is price which Verizon was doing a $300 credit deal I was able to stack with a $100 black Friday deal plus another discount for using my upgrade. If you listened to a lot of music that you kept locally on it I could get a complaint there also. Also to hook it up to your computer you have to buy a 3rd party cable since it uses USB c which basically no one has on their computer at the moment. I do like the USB c cable though, definitely will be the universal standard eventually.

Battery life, charge times, and it just being quick and responsive are all I really care about. The fingerprint scanner on the back is kinda nice for quick unlocking. Probably my favorite feature since it gets you into your phone really quick and painlessly. Setting it up on my left index finger I can unlock while holding it like I do every phone. New Nougat OS has some nice improvements.

Think if google does 90% the same and swaps the back glass for a plastic with textured rubber instead and adds external storage they would have a monster phone. I could get waiting for the pixel 2 but for light users who just use it as a phone, Chromecast hub, and for cursory internet searches it is a nice phone. Just if that is all you use it for the full price tag is probably too much, Verizon is offering a lot of discounts right now. Though the google store gives you the correct Android experience I couldn't justify over $400 on buying directly from them.

Need to see how the battery life holds up but with battery saver enabled I have gotten over a day with 4-5 hours of screen time there. You get 100% charge in about 35 minutes and the 70% charge in 15 seems correct.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    35 minutes for 100 percent charge? Wow. That's what I need.
    kimterran wrote: »
    35 minutes for 100 percent charge? Wow. That's what I need.

Turbo charging FTW
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• spideymanspideyman Much Luv to the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I heard the OnePlus 3 was pretty good. I have the S7 edge and don't have any complaints with it. I would like to pick up an extended battery case for it though. Any recommendations aside from a mophie case?
    Much love to the midwest.
    I think I might just get the S7 Edge...
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,836
    Have been using a Moto E for most of the year due to previous phone being damaged in the rain. Saw the sale they had for the Blackberry PRIV at $299 and I love me some physical keyboards so I put in a order for that.

Did I make the right decision or just waste money needlessly?
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    Do you guys think another Note will even be made? I remember a rumor that Note 7 was the last.
    jebop wrote: »
    Do you guys think another Note will even be made? I remember a rumor that Note 7 was the last.
    I heard a rumor they killed the Note brand, but will have something else to replace it. A new model with a different name, but has an Spen.

Then I read they won't axe the Note and will have a Note 8 next year.

Then I read that they might not have an S8 or a Note 8 ready in time for normal launch. So, who knows.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
    Wellman wrote: »
    Have been using a Moto E for most of the year due to previous phone being damaged in the rain. Saw the sale they had for the Blackberry PRIV at $299 and I love me some physical keyboards so I put in a order for that.

Well you said you like physical keyboards so it just depends on you really
    I heard a rumor they killed the Note brand, but will have something else to replace it. A new model with a different name, but has an Spen.

Then I read that they might not have an S8 or a Note 8 ready in time for normal launch. So, who knows.

Pretty much sums its up lol. I'm gonna see what they'll make my plan if I upgrade. Even if a phone is announced, I can't exactly get it on this contract since I have only 3 months.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,836
    kimterran wrote: »
    Wellman wrote: »

Well you said you like physical keyboards so it just depends on you really

Yeah, but as much as I like the physical keyboards I would hate to get a below average device. I don't mind it being outdated software but a crap device is always a hassle. Oh well, we will see, at least I won't have to constantly watch my device storage like I have been with the Moto E's 5 GB.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
    edited November 2016
    5GB? I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm still indecisive for some reason.
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 5,950
    edited November 2016
    Anyone still riding dirty by rocking a Note 7?

I was just on a plane ride to another island and someone brought a Note 7 onto the plane. He got kicked out of the flight because he refused to leave his phone behind. He made the phone more important than himself and the lives of everyone on the plane. :wtf:
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 24,130
    Wil wrote: »

My sister. It took Samsung to drop the phone from the network to get her to return the thing. Now she's looking for a replacement.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    Wil wrote: »

I was just on a plane ride to another island and someone brought a Note 7 onto the plane. He got kicked out of the flight because he refused to leave his phone behind. He made the phone more important than himself and the lives of everyone on the plane. :wtf:

I was gonna try grab one but it's not worth it lol.

I'm gonna miss having an S Pen. :'(
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 4,303
    edited December 2016

i have the Note 8.0 and the 12.2 tablets.
    both godlike.
    i paid for a used 12.2 verizon Note that was a "display" version for about 150 bucks.
    when i say display version i mean the stock rom was a "display" rom.
    meaning you couldnt do shit on it because the Verizon logo would pop up every 2 minutes and cancel out anything you would be doing on it and boot out of the app you were using.
    so lets say you were drawing on the screen using a art app.
    the verizon logo would pop up every 2 minutes...and just boot you out of the app and your progress wouldnt be saved cause it would force close the app you opened.
    it also didnt allow for the tablet to be charged up past 20%.
    no matter how long you would charge it it wouldnt charge past 20%.
    in other words it was made for verizon employees to show off the product to cusomers but wouldnt allow them to use or sell it.
    cuz its useless.
    but....since i knew i could remove the rom and install a new Note non-display rom for that model....i bought.
    bought it.
    got it and deleted the rom, used Odin to flash a new stock 12.2 Samsung rom for that model.....
    after flashing i could charge it to 100%................godlike battery life btw....and no more annoying Verizon logo pop up that would cancel your activity.
    in other words i turned a $150 useless to everyone tablet that was "sold for parts" to a $1,300 fully functional tablet.
    that moment when you pull some ill shit like that tho
    EasyUnacceptableBoa.gif
    Post edited by StockyJam on