The Android thread. Questions, comments, help, etc.

Comments

• jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    I'm not even on 5.1.1 yet, not enough memory, struggling to actually delete shit. -_-

I'm not sure what caused it, unless it was when I was doing some stuff and had to restart a couple times. There's no viruses etc.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    In don't know soviet, but anybody know that app that uses torrent music like Spotify but is 100% free, no adds. The one Spotify was complaining about.

Fuck Spotify.

All youtube apps had background play disabled (or worse...RIP PVSTAR +), earlier this month. Honestly, what the fuck youtube?

Fuck them. Seriously, this last year or two, I have fucking come to REALLY hate that company/site. THE EXACT FUCKING SAME fucking retarded ads playing before every video. Takedowns for legit things. Bowing before their corporate masters. Fucking up every mother fucking youtbue app, including their own fucking one. Bring on their successor.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,806
    My watchespn watchtnt apps and the like just keeps crashing on me, I can't stream sports anymore, I dunno what's wrong. I did a full wipe and it still didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas?
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm keeping my Galaxy S5 on Android 4.whatever. I see zero reason to upgrade to Lollipop when all I read about it are bad reviews. Shit even shortens the battery life, wtf? Yeah, I don't think 5.0 is going to give me anything I value more than having my phone survive a full day on one charge.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,964
    I'm keeping my Galaxy S5 on Android 4.whatever. I see zero reason to upgrade to Lollipop when all I read about it are bad reviews. Shit even shortens the battery life, wtf? Yeah, I don't think 5.0 is going to give me anything I value more than having my phone survive a full day on one charge.

Agreed. I have 5.1.1 on my Nexus 10 tablet and honestly, there is like no significant change aside from the UI that I notice. And the UI change isn't even that big of a change. No idea what all this "material design" bs is.

All it does is make older mods and stuff not work. A lot of Xposed modules aren't up to date yet.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,872
    I'm probably getting the G4 soon. Looking at benchmarks make it look like a solid choice for me (slightly over the G3, and I'm not looking at the Galaxy series at all anymore...screw Kies and no removable anything), that and the contract price on it is highly enticing.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,095
    edited May 2015
    Wut? Explain what you mean bro. You cant connect it to a pc via the usb cord and put the phone on mtp or software mode in settings?
    go to settings>connectivity>mtp/pc software
    its that simple.

Does'nt work. My device is the Mad Catz Mojo android game console. Despite using trusty, stock 4.2 Jellybean as its O.S, this device lacks this option in the set-up menu.

Anyone know some generic android drivers that will make most android devices work as generic USB mass storage in windows 7??

Any help would be much appreciated.

edited May 2015
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    In don't know soviet, but anybody know that app that uses torrent music like Spotify but is 100% free, no adds. The one Spotify was complaining about.

Fuck Spotify.

All youtube apps had background play disabled (or worse...RIP PVSTAR +), earlier this month. Honestly, what the fuck youtube?

Fuck them. Seriously, this last year or two, I have fucking come to REALLY hate that company/site. THE EXACT FUCKING SAME fucking retarded ads playing before every video. Takedowns for legit things. Bowing before their corporate masters. Fucking up every mother fucking youtbue app, including their own fucking one. Bring on their successor.

They require you to sub to google play music service now.

I missed your previous post, but if you root your device and install xposed framework, there's a module that allows youtube to play in the background, so you can play your playlists and stuff. Works on my Nexus 10 with 5.1.1 and Z3 with 4.4.4. There's also a module that blocks youtube ads.
    Post edited by Shinkuu Tatsumaki on
  • StockyJamStockyJam My nigga Networkingyuppy Joined: Posts: 5,835
    jebop wrote: »
    I'm not even on 5.1.1 yet, not enough memory, struggling to actually delete shit. -_-

I'm not sure what caused it, unless it was when I was doing some stuff and had to restart a couple times. There's no viruses etc.

if your phone is rooted I recommend SD Maid to start uninstalling any unwanted updates and put most of your apps back to their original state.
    did you turn off auto update apps in settings of your play store app? if not do so por favor.
    SD Maid will also allow you to uninstall apps without worry since it tells you which can and shouldn't be uninstalled by showing you in red which apps are system apps.

Agreed. I have 5.1.1 on my Nexus 10 tablet and honestly, there is like no significant change aside from the UI that I notice. And the UI change isn't even that big of a change. No idea what all this "material design" bs is.

All it does is make older mods and stuff not work. A lot of Xposed modules aren't up to date yet.

sometimes I think the sinister thought that these android updates exist only to screw up your phone so it forces you to buy yet another phone in a short amount of time so it keeps driving the industry forward.
    I mean google makes most of their smartphone money in the sales of phones, right? I doubt its from people using Google books/music/movies etc so...
    I know it was the android OTA upgrade that bricked my mom's LG F6 so...yeah.
    first thing I did with my new phone is root it and install SD Maid, went to system apps and found the app that governs the android ota upgrade and froze it/disabled autostart.
    no thanks to unwanted OTAs.

Wut? Explain what you mean bro. You cant connect it to a pc via the usb cord and put the phone on mtp or software mode in settings?
    go to settings>connectivity>mtp/pc software
    its that simple.

Does'nt work. My device is the Mad Catz Mojo android game console. Despite using trusty, stock 4.2 Jellybean as its O.S, this device lacks this option in the set-up menu.

Anyone know some generic android drivers that will make most android devices work as generic USB mass storage in windows 7??

Any help would be much appreciated.

sorry man, I was dealing with ice cream os where we still had that option in settings menu.
    I see kitkat doesn't till you actually connect it to a pc and a pop up appears asking for how it should connect. usb charge only, media, and file sharing.

hmmm. you can maybe try kingoroot. kingoroot sometimes looks for device drivers for obscure devices like yours. just don't click root after it finds your device drivers.

sorry man, I was dealing with ice cream os where we still had that option in settings menu.
    I see kitkat doesn't till you actually connect it to a pc and a pop up appears asking for how it should connect. usb charge only, media, and file sharing.

hmmm. you can maybe try kingoroot. kingoroot sometimes looks for device drivers for obscure devices like yours. just don't click root after it finds your device drivers.

My android Jellybean phone has the MTP/USB option stuff in its set-up menu just fine. But not the Mad Catz Mojo.

And its already rooted btw. Mad Catz actually recommends it.

edited May 2015
    Not rooted atm, but I plan on doing it. So much random bloatware. Like all of a sudden pages manager is on my phone. I do have pages, but I'd rather manage them on the computer, app is limited.

I put my phone to charge, slept for 4 hours, battery dead. Something is definitely causing it... No way in hell should a Note 4 die after 4 hours of no use. It's not a blackberry bold. Charged it, stuck on the Samsung Splash logo. Gonna hold volume down, home and power and see what's going on. -_-
    Post edited by jebop on

My android Jellybean phone has the MTP/USB option stuff in its set-up menu just fine. But not the Mad Catz Mojo.

And its already rooted btw. Mad Catz actually recommends it.

no. I didn't mean root it I said kingoroot sometimes looks for device drivers...which is what you are looking for right? something that causes your pc to recognize your device. I told you to not click the root option.
    assuming kingo achieves anything lol

edited May 2015
    Not rooted atm, but I plan on doing it. So much random bloatware. Like all of a sudden pages manager is on my phone. I do have pages, but I'd rather manage them on the computer, app is limited.

I put my phone to charge, slept for 4 hours, battery dead. Something is definitely causing it... No way in hell should a Note 4 die after 4 hours of no use. It's not a blackberry bold. Charged it, stuck on the Samsung Splash logo. Gonna hold volume down, home and power and see what's going on. -_-

uh. Samsung notes and most samsungs have the ability to install twrp recovery tool after rooting.
    its the very first thing you should ever do after rooting cause twrp makes a copy of your note's system files and with twrp its literally 100% impossible to fuck up your phone.
    cuz even if it were to worst case scenario brick to the point not even factory reset brings your phone back to working order...the twrp will.
    it can easily be installed with chainfire's odin installer on the playstore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.mobileodin.pro

though it doesn't work on 4.4 to loli...you probably have to downgrade back to 4.2 if you use odin but you may still be able to install twrp if you are 4.4 and above.... but the hard way...manually.

idk, my note tablet is rooted with odin twrp and I have no worries of something ever going wrong with its software.

Post edited by StockyJam on
    edited May 2015
    I can't do anything it seems, besides factory reset which I don't want to do. I actually planned on backing up today, and then rooting tomorrow since I have the day off work...

I'm currently downloading the OS and seeing if I can fix it using Odin. I was actually on 5.0.1

OS installed, still not going past the splash screen.
    Post edited by jebop on
    edited May 2015
    I'm gonna have to wipe everything aren't I?

Last resort is factory reset, and that may not work... Convenient the day I planned on backing up and rooting, is the day it breaks down. Mostly the pictures are important.

Some people say it's because some Samsung phones have faulty power buttons and should bang it/open the phone and clean it, but mine doesn't look.

It just stays stuck on "Samsung".
    edited May 2015
    I'm gonna have to wipe everything aren't I?

Last resort is factory reset, and that may not work... Convenient the day I planned on backing up and rooting, is the day it breaks down. Mostly the pictures are important.

Some people say it's because some Samsung phones have faulty power buttons and should bang it/open the phone and clean it, but mine doesn't look.

It just stays stuck on "Samsung".

one)are your pics on the sd card? if so factory reset is fine.
    two)are your contacts backed up with google+? if not you'll lose it.
    three)rooting voids your 1 year warranty with Samsung. if its been less than a year, just call Samsung and tell em you are sending in your phone by mail so they can send in a new one.
    four)Odin I think you need the phone to be rooted first for Odin to install twrp.
    for you to install twrp before rooting you have to do it manually without Odin.

p.s.
    remove your sim card before doing a factory reset btw.

but it sounds your stuck in a boot loop cuz to free up memory you probably deleted something you thought was unimportant when it actually was.
    for example on my old lg motion, even after rooting you couldn't delete google books on that phone or it would brick. some apps that are bloatware have been tied in as a system app and when you delete you fuck up your phone. that's why you cant ever delete stock apps that came in the box without being 1,000% sure it hasn't been made a system app by the manufacturer.

I can't do anything it seems, besides factory reset which I don't want to do. I actually planned on backing up today, and then rooting tomorrow since I have the day off work...

I'm currently downloading the OS and seeing if I can fix it using Odin. I was actually on 5.0.1

OS installed, still not going past the splash screen.

Odin, as far as I know, doesn't work with android over 4.4 and above.

for twrp to get truly installed you have to do it manually without Odin if its 4.4 and up.
    but twrp can install the Note 4 stock rom/os that you downloaded with your pc onto your pc via usb before using twrp to help install the stock rom.
    if you didn't have twrp installed and made the back up of your phones stock rom/os way before it got fucked up....then that's the only way to install the functional os from your pc onto the phone.
    cuz with your os/rom fucked up....what else are you gonna do.

the easy, easiest way to solve the boot loop is factory reset...but if it doesn't work, then you'll have to connect it to your pc and probably put the phone in emergency mode. as long as your pc recognizes that the phone is connected you can recover the phone back to full functionality.

edited May 2015
    So, anybody here know anything about rooting?

Theres a program called Towelroot. Its what i used to root my Mad Catz Mojo android console but, it works with other android devices too. Its just a simple, 1-click app and its done. Afterwards you can just head to the google play store to find one of several root checker apps, to check your root status to see if it worked.

Here's the link to Towelroot:

http://towelroot.en.uptodown.com/android

How-to-root-anroid-by-TowelRoot-1-click.jpg
    You should probably head to the xda forums and search for your device. A lot easier than explaining here.
    or to the androidforums.com site. even easier.
    Dead forums. I rage quitted and factory reset, lost a lot of important stuff but oh well. Also my Note 2 that never charges, does now which is weird.

I'm gonna just start clean I think, I'll probably save about 10 photos and start everything clean. Same goes for the memory card.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Exodus. wrote: »
    You certain its the jack and not the headphones? I recently had to get a new pair of buds because the chord got fucked up when I put my phone in my pocket.

I'm positive it's the jack. I've tried different headphones, plugged the phone into my car stereo and I get the same result. I've tried cleaning the inside, but I still get the same issue. It's possible it isn't completely clean, but I'm thinking there's a deeper issue.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Dead forums. I rage quitted and factory reset, lost a lot of important stuff but oh well. Also my Note 2 that never charges, does now which is weird.

I'm gonna just start clean I think, I'll probably save about 10 photos and start everything clean. Same goes for the memory card.

so after the factory reset your Note 4 works perfectly now? i'll assume yes.
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    Found out the LG G3 has an issue where it thinks any headphones you plug in have a mic. Whenever i plug in headphones, it will randomly skip songs, start playing songs, or other annoying nonsense.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/2msvfq/problem_with_headphone_jack_controlling_music_by/
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
    edited May 2015

so after the factory reset your Note 4 works perfectly now? i'll assume yes.

Yeah, but I have nothing. -_- I usually backup every 3 months, but I haven't done anything since November. The last month I had tons of important stuff, only thing I got is pics of my ex and I don't even want those so they can be deleted. I've come across a lot of data recovery software, but I bet they don't even work. Recuva only works on SD card and there's nothing wrong with that. Gonna just start using cloud auto backup even though I don't like it.

Edit: The only backup I can use is November 2014, that's from my Note 2 and I'm using Note 4. So I've basically lost everything.

I've installed OS 5.0.1 and rooted my phone (was unrooted before). It's starting to lag/hang and restart itself. It was doing that before also, when I had stuff on it. The phone also gets slightly warm. Could it be a faulty battery?

The phone was working perfectly fine . Then I installed Avast, Twitch, and a few others and it keeps restarting. I think either my battery is messed up, or an app is causing it. I used Spotify for 2 hours before that, had no problems.
    Post edited by jebop on
    So yeah, I'm already pissed off that I lost all my shit, just before I was gonna back up. Previous backups don't work or cause problems. I had the same restart issue again, so I deleted all my apps, redownloaded again, it seems fine now. But 7 months of stuff gone cause the backup is somehow corrupted or I have none.

I deleted nova and used themer since people here recommended it. The themes don't change my lock screen wallpaper, and the themes don't show a notification bubble on things such as FB.
    edited May 2015
    I don't like themer. The themes and customizations are nice, but it's too sluggish. For example, sometimes the clock widgets don't update right away. It'll be like 12:45, but the widget stays at 12:44.
    Oh? I never noticed, too busy wondering why there's no bubble icon except on my Gmail. I'd have to buy Nova Prime again if I'm gonna use it, for some reason the playstore has the price, so it's asking me to purchase again.

I wanted to put my dbz custom theme on here but it's not in the store anymore, and it's for the Note 2 so things won't be in proportion.

Lack of bubbles on the icons is annoying, I don't know if I have something to check unless I open it. To be fair, TW doesn't seem that bad, it just looks stale.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,872
    As far as custom launcher's go, I prefer Smart Launcher.

I don't need the bloat and the multiple screens when I change launchers. It works fine and looks nice.

My Note 2 broke again, I give up on it. Especially when I need to replace it anyway when I go to Korea. Bought a Pantech Vega Racer 2 on the cheap to keep me with a phone until I get done in China, slapped Smart Launcher onto it and it works fine.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Will give Smart Launcher a look.
    It's obvious to me that 5.0.1 combined with apps not agreeing with it fucked up my phone. I downloaded most apps back, and it keeps reboot looping now. I've deleted dumpster, it still does it but not as often. So that's one problem. I think snap chat may be the other.

Does anyone know an app just as good as Dumpster? It was extremely useful, and I can't use it without it restarting and overheating my phone with this new os. I downloaded "Recycle Bin" but it sucks and doesn't save stuff from apps.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have an S4, outside of turning off LTE and just running it on 3G, what's the best way to improve battery life?
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    edited June 2015
    "Recycle Bin" doesn't even put stuff in the trash... Tested it by deleting 2 pics of food taken last year. SD Card full anyway, and couldn't be bothered to backup food pics.

Eh, I need a dumpster alternative.
    thurst wrote: »
    I have an S4, outside of turning off LTE and just running it on 3G, what's the best way to improve battery life?

Keep bluetooth off unless you're specifically using it at the moment.

Turn off wifi unless you're using it. That's really damn hard in Korea though with dat metro wifi.

Set Dropbox if you have it to sync camera photos only on wifi, or turn it off if backing up your pictures is unimportant.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    custom rom is the best battery saver lol

my lg g3 has been on crack since I installed a fresh cyanogenmod. I don't have to keep charging the phone as often. sometimes like every other day.
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file