The Android thread. Questions, comments, help, etc.

1293031323335»

Comments

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,497
    TLDR Fuck Verizon
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 5,083
    lol, how do you know Verizon even sucks? as far as i know...Verizon isnt even in Russia.
    "This alt accounts the best thing that I ever did, I feel like a vigilante cleaning up the digital streets of online scum bags."-Highlandfireball
    StockyJam wrote: »
    lol, how do you know Verizon even sucks? as far as i know...Verizon isnt even in Russia.

I've read a lot of shit about them, as well as about their practices like locked bootloaders and infinitely delayed updates
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,024
    See nothing that stands out awesomely for me to switch from my Galaxy S6. Still pretty strong and I don't do anything heavy with it enough to justify another phone.
    WOULD have wanted that Pixel (had a Nexus 4 before), but GODDAMN the price. And it's only available via Verizon?
    Guess they don't care for T-Mobile nowadays anymore.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,595
    edited December 2016
    See nothing that stands out awesomely for me to switch from my Galaxy S6. Still pretty strong and I don't do anything heavy with it enough to justify another phone.
    WOULD have wanted that Pixel (had a Nexus 4 before), but GODDAMN the price. And it's only available via Verizon?

You can buy it from the google store unlocked and then you can use it on any other network you want. They allow financing too which is like $27/mo or something.

Gonna wait though.... we all know the next eventual update is going to have ip68 rating... and if they were smart, stereo speakers too.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,024

You have to buy it from the google store unlocked and then you can use it on any other network you want.

Oh okay.
    ...Still costs to damn much, though.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    edited December 2016
    interesting. since the controversy...it seems it isnt even possible anymore to buy a Note 7.
    its not being sold anywhere that i can see.
    i was checking ebay if i could find a brand new one for under 50 bucks.
    but not sold anywhere.
    the company said the exploding batteries only affected under 1% of total Note 7s sold. doesnt seem that risky. but whatever. i'd never use it anyway.
    "This alt accounts the best thing that I ever did, I feel like a vigilante cleaning up the digital streets of online scum bags."-Highlandfireball
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,264
    edited December 2016

Eh if you had got it on Black Friday it was $400 off. They had $300 off a couple days ago, but not sure if the promotion ended. You don't have to get it through Verizon either, you could get it through the Google Store and always get the newest updates guaranteed and it will work on AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. However, Google doesn't give you any promo's I know of.

T-mobile was doing a promotion where if you buy a pixel from google you got $325 back (I'd double check with a dealer before you go and buy it naturally) if you brought it in and registered it with them. Google also does financing so you could finance the $650 and potentially get $325 back for it.
    https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/pixel-offer.htm
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 24,946
    interesting. since the controversy...it seems it isnt even possible anymore to buy a Note 7.
    its not being sold anywhere that i can see.
    i was checking ebay if i could find a brand new one for under 50 bucks.
    but not sold anywhere.
    the company said the exploding batteries only affected under 1% of total Note 7s sold. doesnt seem that risky. but whatever. i'd never use it anyway.

Of course no one is going to sell a product that's been recalled. Exploding batteries are way too big of a risk. Can't get on a plane with them judging from Wil post.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    "Everyone dont move! Stay in your seats! in the name of Allah...i will hijack this plane and fly it to Libya!"

*waves a Note 7 around in a threatening manner*
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,304
    I'm finding that I like some of the "bloatware" apps better than some of Google's.
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

I've read a lot of shit about them, as well as about their practices like locked bootloaders and infinitely delayed updates

Every major telecom is involved with shit like that. Verizon has the best service though, imo it's worth paying a bit extra when you know your phone isn't going to be a brick. I was on GayT&T for a bit and it was good when I first signed the contract, but over the course of two years it got worse and worse, to the point where I was eventually missing calls for gigs because my service was so terrible where I lived (just 5 minutes outside of downtown Nashville where the AT&T building is the tallest building in town so you'd think the service would be amazing.)

They don't lock phones anymore though, so if you get a 4G LTE phone, you can take it to any other carrier or to another country, you just have to get a sim card for it.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    So I'm stuck on my sim card only contract for at least 3 months before I can upgrade. Maybe I should just stick with it, and try buy a PAYG phone when it's on sale. My phone is only acting retarded atm because it's full.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    edited December 2016
    Damn, Xperia XA Ultra is $100 off on B&H at $229 for 12 more hours.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255530-REG/sony_1302_3630_xperia_xa_ultra_f3213.html

I'm sitting here deciding if I want to get it or not. Phone just looks too sexy, idgaf if it's a midrange and I've come to realize I barely use all these "premium" features these flagship phones have nowadays.
    What sounds better?

Note 4 Sim Only
    $29
    20 GB Data
    1 Year Spotify
    Unlimited Calls / Texts that also apply abroad

S7 Edge
    $58
    24 GB Data
    1 year Spotify
    Unlimited Calls / Texts

Sim Only means keeping my Note 4, and probably buying a 128GB Memory Card.
    I think I fixed my old Note 4, it kept saying mmc_read_failed, just needs a new battery, if that's all now then I'll have two Note 4s. May as well just slap a PAYG Sim in the old one and use both. Then with the newer one, just stay on Sim Card Only contract, wipe everything besides a handful of photos/music, and then both should be running as good as new...

I'm trying to weigh up the features of the S7 Edge over the Note 4, or it's just me wanting a new phone...
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,041
    Anyone tried that free voice/data/messaging service from Freedom Pop? I'm looking at getting another line but don't want to pay $30+ for a phone I plan on using only for voice calls.
    SFV: Cammy, Ibuki, Karin
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,578
    jebop wrote: »
    I think I fixed my old Note 4, it kept saying mmc_read_failed, just needs a new battery, if that's all now then I'll have two Note 4s. May as well just slap a PAYG Sim in the old one and use both. Then with the newer one, just stay on Sim Card Only contract, wipe everything besides a handful of photos/music, and then both should be running as good as new...

I'm trying to weigh up the features of the S7 Edge over the Note 4, or it's just me wanting a new phone...

Note 4 is a very solid phone. You can probably wait when they announce the s8
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME Trumpologist Joined: Posts: 1,240
    I bought the pixel xl. It's quite good and turning me on. I wish I got it sooner. It's smooth as hell and it's great for typing text messages. Haven't bothered with the Google assistant yet. The new nougat OS is a step forward. I find it charges slow and battery isn't as good as my old Sony z3 compact.
  • RECESSIONTIMERECESSIONTIME Trumpologist Joined: Posts: 1,240
    Speech recognition is the best I have ever seen. Tremendous!
    kimterran wrote: »

Note 4 is a very solid phone. You can probably wait when they announce the s8

Yeah. I mean there's tons of good phones out there right now, they're just not the Note 7. I can't find one big pro on the S7 Edge over the Note 4. Besides faster, which should be a pro.
    That's the thing. You know you're gonna be disappointed getting any other new phone right now anyway so just stick with what you have right now and wait for a little bit. Note 4 is good, hell I used my note 3 when I went on vacation last month and loved it
    Smart Switch is the most fucking useless thing ever. Doesn't even backup shit.
    Yeah, it's not that great. I honestly just have my stuff getting backed up to the Google and Verizon servers. I have a backup on my computer for Smart Switch, but they definitely don't let you back up much without going prem.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    I got a 64gb memory card and 32gb phone, both more or less full I want to backup so I can start deleting. Can't get it done.
    I need an alternative, this is fucking shit. It backs up virtually nothing.
    I don't even use that shit
    Last year Kies backed up 45.1 GB. Smart Switch can't go past 500MB without being "interrupted".
    edited December 2016
    I need space for Friday. Even if I bought a 128gb card, that's a lot of crap being carried around. Like 41gb pictures. I'm copying all files by drag and drop. I'll have to figure out backing up contacts, messages and WhatsApp later...

Deleted 2 apps, took out the memory card and it done a backup successfully wtf?

It looks like the stupid software can't handle big memory cards, so I guess I'll have to drag and drop the stuff on my SD Card to my external HDD.
    Post edited by jebop on
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Anyone know what causes the keypad on my lock screen to get all screwy? I'm running version 5.0.1

C1stUbXWEAAao07.jpg:small
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    I need space for Friday. Even if I bought a 128gb card, that's a lot of crap being carried around. Like 41gb pictures. I'm copying all files by drag and drop. I'll have to figure out backing up contacts, messages and WhatsApp later...

Deleted 2 apps, took out the memory card and it done a backup successfully wtf?

It looks like the stupid software can't handle big memory cards, so I guess I'll have to drag and drop the stuff on my SD Card to my external HDD.

You should probably just have multiple SD cards for that many pictures. I got myself a dropbox account and it'll upload all the pics on my phone to the folder on my PC when i connect it. When I start running out of space, I'll just copy all those to my backup pics folder on my external, delete what's in the dropbox folder and start again.
    Well I had to factory reset my phone recently. Lost all my WhatsApp conversations but I cleared 6gb that Snapchat alone was taking up. Apparently it saves other peoples stories separately even though they disappear after 24 hours.
    Can't you set WhatsApp to back up your conversations though?
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,707
    DoctaMario wrote: »

Yeah, but if you factory reset before that then you're fucked.

Trying to settle on a reasonable and reliable Android tablet to write on the go with.

Looking at the G Pad 8", Galaxy Tab 4 8", and anything else around that price range.

Nothing for gaming or heavy usage, just mainly for Wordpress, image resizing, Google Sheets, Slack, Trello, and Office documents.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Now my secondary phone isn't charging even with a new battery... Ffs.
    DoctaMario wrote: »

Yeah, but if you factory reset before that then you're fucked.

Trying to settle on a reasonable and reliable Android tablet to write on the go with.

Looking at the G Pad 8", Galaxy Tab 4 8", and anything else around that price range.

Galaxy Tab A lineup is a decent budget/midrange solution. Nexus 7 2013 is still a pretty damn good tablet.
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

So Sony phones have smallapps(opens some apps in a smaller screen that you can move around/hide) and among them is a youtube one that allows you to play videos with your screen off.

Any other phones that can do this without rooting?
    i think that may be common. idk. i feel like youtube red can do that. if i remember right
    So Sony phones have smallapps(opens some apps in a smaller screen that you can move around/hide) and among them is a youtube one that allows you to play videos with your screen off.

Any other phones that can do this without rooting?

Galaxy S7 (and maybe even earlier ones?) can do this.
    i think that may be common. idk. i feel like youtube red can do that. if i remember right

You have to sub to that though.

Anyways... what do you guys think are the most underappreciated features for a phone? Everyone nowadays is on that fingerprint sensor hype and I'm over here just wanting to be able to double tap to sleep/wake the phone, which is possible with root, but some phones can do it out of the box. It's useful when your phone is on a table.