AEMAKOTO Guide and Q&A: Ask all your questions here!

Comments

• NooctaNoocta Didja see that ? Joined: Posts: 2,418
    Yeah, when playing this kind of character ( Mak, Abel, grapplers ) you have to remember the opponents are usually so scared of what you can do, they just won't try to block most of the time.
    Unlike 3s, its pretty hard to karakusa people on their wake up because they have so many tools that will avoid it they will want to use instead of blocking.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • NickFNickF LongIsland, xbl:GunStarxHero Joined: Posts: 29
    I just ran a long set with an Ibuki, and was struggling to punish/trade with those spinny kicks that she always does. what are your approaches to dealing with this move?
  • EtherealwtfEtherealwtf Joined: Posts: 497
    The framedata does not seem very favorable.
    http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/may/09/ibukis-frame-data-super-street-fighter-4/

You can get a counter hit if you release a focus in the startup. I think each hit can be counterhit.
    A jump in or a focus could help : the move is quite long ~30-35f, but if you are trapped in a blockstring i dont think there is a lot to do. Is there a hole between each kick ?

If you manage to make it wiff, you should be able to punish. It only has 2 active frames per spinning kick.
  • Kenji124Kenji124 Joined: Posts: 70
    How do I anti air with makoto? I mean ones where it's hard to guess and it's more of a read? I can use st.mk or cr.mk or cr.hk but the frames gets me worried.
  • ThirdofOneThirdofOne Steam: ThirdofOne [UK] Joined: Posts: 62
    edited May 2015
    Kenji124 wrote: »
    How do I anti air with makoto? I mean ones where it's hard to guess and it's more of a read? I can use st.mk or cr.mk or cr.hk but the frames gets me worried.
    Most of the time you have to anticipate the jump in. For most of the jump-ins I use st.mp as its hitbox is the most godlike thing Makoto has whereas for those really deep jump-ins st.lp works just as well.

Noocta wrote: »
    Looks like r/kappa is gonna try to send Misse at SEAM right after Nemo.

http://ff.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/35r14n/help_get_team_rkappa_to_seam_capcom_cup_2015/

http://www.youcaring.com/sports-fundraiser/help-get-nemo-misse-poongko-to-seam/352886
    The goal has been reached \o/

Goal #2 : $1100 Misse Travel/Hotel to SEAM
  • gengen EX3 veteran Joined: Posts: 705
    SWEET!
    WE IN THERE!
  • pepopulopepopulo Eternal's groupi Joined: Posts: 633
    YO HYPE!
    Nueva tecnología!!!
  • TheKaiten7TheKaiten7 Joined: Posts: 1,828
    trying to play clean and being a "very huge" risk taker contradict each other man. no such thing as clean risk in any game amirite? if you're going to play makoto in 4 i highly recommend against taking high risks. especially in ultra she's lost a lot of her rewards for taking these risks. it's why a lot of players have moved away from her to more viable characters in her line of work(abel, viper, yun). if you're going to play clean block or bait the reversals. as for anti airing dont worry about the frames. cr. mk is an amazing anti because she can't get hit unless they have a very downard hitbox(vegas j.hk, rolentos j.hp etc). these moves are lacking from the game so cr.mk for the most part is, well, the answer. lp fuki beats these moves clean so as stated before anticipate and react in these situations.
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce Left behind Joined: Posts: 2,516
    TheKaiten7 wrote: »
    trying to play clean and being a "very huge" risk taker contradict each other man. no such thing as clean risk in any game amirite? if you're going to play makoto in 4 i highly recommend against taking high risks. especially in ultra she's lost a lot of her rewards for taking these risks. it's why a lot of players have moved away from her to more viable characters in her line of work(abel, viper, yun). if you're going to play clean block or bait the reversals. as for anti airing dont worry about the frames. cr. mk is an amazing anti because she can't get hit unless they have a very downard hitbox(vegas j.hk, rolentos j.hp etc). these moves are lacking from the game so cr.mk for the most part is, well, the answer. lp fuki beats these moves clean so as stated before anticipate and react in these situations.

But at the same time avoiding big risks means don't use her at 100%. Even dash forward is a risk in 4 for Makoto. It's like when Misse goes for ex Fuki, always ends with Tsurugi HK. Guaranteed damage for sure, but there momentum ends there. That's why reading your opponents reactions is too important for Makoto in 4, we need to guess what the opponent gonna do. Reversal? Backdash? Block? If he try for a DP he has meter to cancel? And so on. Too fuckin' many ways to refuse the pressure. Vary your post ex fuki mixup then: after the j.hp, once on ground,blocking with a late crouch tech is our best bet just because with that the opponent learns we are able to block,especially if we punish his reversal harder as possible. The next time he don't gonna risk like that and we can use one of Makoto multiple setups after ex fuki,j.hp: crossdown,fake crossdown,IAT,karakusa,meaty st.mp,crossup Tsurugi,crossdown+tsurugi,etc. Not all those things are safe, but that's SF4 Makoto. Since the risk is higher now I can't blame people who moved for a safer character,but who keep playing her better take those risks for better results. All depends about how good we are about reading our opponents and force them to block.
  • ZakbgZakbg Despa1r Joined: Posts: 416
    Yooo guys , is this Makoto community alive here ? Hehe I havent been here in quite a while, but I'm looking for Rolento matchup tips because today I got bopped by some dude out of the blue and I've been angry all day. Any tips will be greatly appreciated , what I couldn't deal was his jumping heavy punch which quite often hit me as a cross up for some reason , I couldnt deal with the roll > overhead , couldnt deal with him pressing buttons all the time, he kept stopping my axe kicks with jabs and shorts ... just ... a horrible experience and my entire day was ruined, Ive never been this angry with this game before, heck it has never even made me angry , frustrated at most
  • Ace2aKingAce2aKing Rk Antics Joined: Posts: 142
    edited May 2015
    Zakbg wrote: »
    Yooo guys , is this Makoto community alive here ? Hehe I havent been here in quite a while, but I'm looking for Rolento matchup tips because today I got bopped by some dude out of the blue and I've been angry all day. Any tips will be greatly appreciated , what I couldn't deal was his jumping heavy punch which quite often hit me as a cross up for some reason , I couldnt deal with the roll > overhead , couldnt deal with him pressing buttons all the time, he kept stopping my axe kicks with jabs and shorts ... just ... a horrible experience and my entire day was ruined, Ive never been this angry with this game before, heck it has never even made me angry , frustrated at most

This match is frustrating but it is winnable. Fuki his jump ins, this is a must. I normally play passive and more reactive till I get a knockdown. After that the game is pretty much her's. Cr lp os Cr. Hk beats all his escape options on wake up including ex roll into overhead. So I normally abuse that into whatever shenanigans you want ex.. Iat, Kara Kara, throw etc. The goal is to get him to the corner asap especially if he had no meter. Fwd mp beats roll on reaction and learn to punish his roll. All his bs is distracting but can be exploited if you don't lose your cool.
    Xbox live: Rk Antics
    Zakbg wrote: »

Welcome back man :smiley:
    Also, don't quickrise against Rolento, that's where he gets his bullshit cross up jump Fierce stuff
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • joshjamespojoshjamespo XBL: joshjamespo Joined: Posts: 11
    Anyone help me vs Hugo??
    With Hugo I keep my distance and stick out a lot of c.hk and s.hk. Honestly it's the same strategy I use for Gief, but hugo's a bit easier to react to. Learn what can be challenged and at what times (as with all the new characters the hit/hurtboxes are not always what the seem), and keep in mind that without ex there's an answer for every approach he has.
    Anyone help me vs Hugo??
    Yamase is your friend in this match-up. Fwd+HK is considered airborne and beats out spd but not airgrab, I wouldn't recommend using this move more than once. Meaty moves blow up Hugo on his wake-up like sweep > dash > HP Oroshi. Remember to keep in mind that a blocked hayate is suicide. U1 is the better option in this match-up as it is quicker to punish his options and isn't as slow as U2 which can be air grabbed on anticipation.
    I usually find Hugo a lot more difficult to zone out than Gief weirdly enough.

He has good counterpoke and whiff punishes for stuff like our crHK ( his crMP or his crMK / crLK )
    He also has a way scarier mixup game on our wakeup, and sometimes I just never get out of the cross up splash shenanigans.

Be careful of Meatsquasher when you focus a lot on the ground game, its fast and can be harder to react to than you'd think.

stMK is a very good whiff punish tool against him, works really well against his stHP for instance.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    Thanks for all this. Lost 6 times in a row last night to my friends Hugo. I need wake up options against him and to use the normals better. What does Ultra 1 beat?
    ThirdofOne wrote: »
    Anyone help me vs Hugo??
    Yamase is your friend in this match-up. Fwd+HK is considered airborne and beats out spd but not airgrab, I wouldn't recommend using this move more than once. Meaty moves blow up Hugo on his wake-up like sweep > dash > HP Oroshi. Remember to keep in mind that a blocked hayate is suicide. U1 is the better option in this match-up as it is quicker to punish his options and isn't as slow as U2 which can be air grabbed on anticipation.

Can I do this on wake up or two slow?
    NickF wrote: »
    With Hugo I keep my distance and stick out a lot of c.hk and s.hk. Honestly it's the same strategy I use for Gief, but hugo's a bit easier to react to. Learn what can be challenged and at what times (as with all the new characters the hit/hurtboxes are not always what the seem), and keep in mind that without ex there's an answer for every approach he has.

What are your answers for wake up against a splash cross up ?
    Anyone have a link to her best block strings? I need to get this Hugo to block more.
    Makoto doesn't have any blockstring Hugo can't SPD you out, that's one of her issue against grapplers. Her only string that doesn't have a gap is literally crLP crLP stLP

As far as the cross up splash, if she does it properly so you don't have time to Fukiage it, well.. You have to block and escaped the mixup.
    Don't get knocked down. The Makoto vs Grappler matchup is played on your feet or you're losing.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    edited June 2015
    *delete this*
    Post edited by ThirdofOne on
    What Noocta said, you have to play the grappler match-up differently. They desperately want to get in. Don't let them do this.

If Hugo does this:
    • Clap? BLOCK
    • Whiffed Backbreaker? Punish
    • Buttslam ? Bake a cake FADC read a book U1 that shit son its -40
    • Meat squasher? U1/U2/Jump
    • A predictable Jump-in? Cr.HK
    • Block string into clap? Backdash he has not true blockstring into clap

Please God don't do this:
    NxMzDY9.png
    This MS Paint mockup shows that Hugo doesn't start in your face so make sure it stays that way.

• iQuickiQuick FADC to Dashboard Joined: Posts: 885
    Fucking Potato.

Thanks guys, I've been struggling with the Hugo matchup as well. Actually, I've been struggling with all the new characters as I've just recently downloaded USFIV and have no idea how any of them work. Decapre just shits all over me because I don't know when to punish and what moves are safe or unsafe.
    • non EX Hands are punishable by fwd+lp xx EX Fukiage (dependent on her distance to you)
    • If she jumps back shes 95% of the time gonna spiral arrow, you can focus this
    • Her ground slam is also focus-able
    • Her DPs are -28 so Punish
    If I think rolento is going to roll on wakeup, should I meaty with s.hk or c.hk, or something else? It's impossible to get consistent reversals of them in training mode, since it keeps immediately cancelling them into the jump.
    If you're sure he's going to do it, just go for a MK Axekick into EX Hayate really.

crHK OS will catch it as a less hard read.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    edited June 2015
    what's the crHK OS?

edit: hilarious question in hindsight now that I understand how option selects work :P
    Post edited by NickF on
    clp > clp+chk will give either clp clp if the first clp hits or clp chk if the first clp does not hit.
    ThirdofOne wrote: »
    What Noocta said, you have to play the grappler match-up differently. They desperately want to get in. Don't let them do this.

If Hugo does this:
    • Clap? BLOCK
    • Whiffed Backbreaker? Punish
    • Buttslam ? Bake a cake FADC read a book U1 that shit son its -40
    • Meat squasher? U1/U2/Jump
    • A predictable Jump-in? Cr.HK
    • Block string into clap? Backdash he has not true blockstring into clap

Please God don't do this:
    NxMzDY9.png
    This MS Paint mockup shows that Hugo doesn't start in your face so make sure it stays that way.

Awesome. What would you recommend I do on wake up to beat his dash SPD. He uses it every now and then as I can see his cross up coming and dash under it.... Any ideas?
    What are the best ways to deal with Rolento's wakeup options? Meatying a button/throw? Or option selecting with/without ex? On top of that, if you think he's going to roll on wakeup, what's the optimal counter?
    Medium axekick on his wake up will catch his hop back. Only loses to wake up ultra or wake up lvl 2 focus
    crLP crLP OS crHK will also beat most of his stuff, less risk, less reward.

Makoto / Yun / Viper
    edited June 2015

Awesome. What would you recommend I do on wake up to beat his dash SPD. He uses it every now and then as I can see his cross up coming and dash under it.... Any ideas?

If you're 100% certain he's going to dash up SPD then a (neutral jump HK into anything) should be an adequate whiff punish.
    A reversal dash is the only way to avoid the chest bump but I am sure that Hugo could OS that, so it isn't a watertight escape another would be just to block :neutral: .
    Remember Makoto's wake-up sucks.

jump splash is unavoidable if he does it right, you have to block it and guess what he's gonna do after it/
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    Noocta wrote: »
    jump splash is unavoidable if he does it right, you have to block it and guess what he's gonna do after it/

FA+Dash if the splash goes crossup,block then jump back+HP if the splash hits in front. Obviously if he mistimes the splash, cr.mk is more than enough.
    If done properly on a knockdown situation, he can just crMK to catch you focus dash out. Or jab it out.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
  • Ace2aKingAce2aKing Rk Antics Joined: Posts: 142
    Working on a tutorial series for Makoto that's more gamelan oriented
    Let me know what you guys think/would like to see more of.
    Keep in mind this is not a traditional tutorial and is made with the purpose of learning to play the character.

Xbox live: Rk Antics
    The audio mixing needs a little work. A reupload would be nice, that's if you still have the project file.
    Who would be a good alternate character for a makoto main? I'm looking for a footsie based character that covers her bad matchups. What characters do you all use?
  • KaloteKalote Makoto sensei Joined: Posts: 90
    Main: Makoto
    Subs: Ryu / Akuma / Hugo
    Who would be a good alternate character for a makoto main? I'm looking for a footsie based character that covers her bad matchups. What characters do you all use?

Sagat is a good pick imo.
    Its not easy to find a good aletrnate for all her bad matchups, but Sagat probably covers all of them that aren't Rose.
    Makoto / Yun / Viper
    ^Thanks. I actually don't mind fighting rose too much so sagat may be a good choice.
    edited June 2015
    How do you kara-oroshi? (lp/mp) By which I mean what button do you cancel into the oroshi?
    Post edited by NickF on
  • BigMcLargeHugeBigMcLargeHuge Joined: Posts: 196
    edited June 2015
    I've switched mains from Makoto to Elena entirely, and the only true bad match up that Elena has is probably Cammy because of Cammy's hurtbox and divekick shenanigans.

Elena makes the Rose match up a joke because she's one of the few characters that beats her in the neutral game with longer/faster normals and full screen projectile nullifying/backdash chasing pressure with Slide. Also, you can piss off the Rose player by having an Ultra even more annoying than Soul Satellite with Healing! That being said, Elena is also 1-frame link heavy on even her most basic BNBs.

Either way, it's super refreshing taking a match up that's an absolute nightmare on Makoto and shitting on it so heavily that you can't imagine why you thought it was a nightmare in the first place.
    edited June 2015
    How do you kara-oroshi? (lp/mp) By which I mean what button do you cancel into the oroshi?
    214 6lk p or 6lk 214p
    The input needs to be clean and it's pretty dangerous.
    214 6lk p or 6lk 214p
    The input needs to be clean and it's pretty dangerous.

Thanks. I was doing 6lk 214p but I couldn't get it. Maybe 214 6lk p would be better.
    Either way, it's super refreshing taking a match up that's an absolute nightmare on Makoto and shitting on it so heavily that you can't imagine why you thought it was a nightmare in the first place.

Isn't a nightmare matchup, it's just.. Annoying. Even Rose can have bad moments when Makoto is closer to her. DWU+EX Spiral help Rose a lot, but applying never ending pressure on that bitch 'til the dizzy is the only way to make this match less problematic. The main problem are the smart ones who relies on ALL the free out of jail cards that SF4 gives to the defender. God bless SFV. Makoto gonna be the only thing I'm gonna missing from the actual game.